Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,167 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:01 AM

Tithe: Should I Pay/give Tithes? Bible Perspective - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Tithe: Should I Pay/give Tithes? Bible Perspective (723 Views)

From Bible Perspective, Could Mohammed Be Considered A True Prophet??? / Should I Pay Tithe From My 20k Stimulus I Got From Government? / Pastor E.A Adeboye Reacts To Daddy Freeze's Comments On Tithes (VIDEO) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tithe: Should I Pay/give Tithes? Bible Perspective by jaszplus12(m): 6:31pm On Dec 10, 2017
We have been searching the Scriptures to clearly see what our Heavenly Father commanded on Tithes Payment. Remember it's Tithes not Tithe meaning it's more than just one form of tithe just as we have earlier discussed.
We Talked about Tithe payment under the Patriarchal Age, Mosaic Era (Time of the Jews) and discovered that there were 4 different types of Tithes. Two of the tithes were to be eaten by the Tithe Payer, Levites, Orphans, Strangers and windows Deut. 14:22-29. Some were to be paid Regularly, while others were to be paid yearly and every 3 years.
We also saw some facts about the Law of TITHING and we were able to discuss 6 of this facts among others.
Then Lastly, we talked about the Beneficiaries of This Tithes and Saw Clearly that an outsider a None Levites Cannot benefits from Tithe that means He or She has no right Biblically to collect TITHE.
Today, we will be Looking at the PURPOSE OF TITHES IN THE OLD TESTAMENT.
The major purpose of Tithes in the Old Testament was to sustain the Priests "Who were all Levites" Working in the 'House of God' The Temple.
God did not want the Levites to do any other work to earn a living so He did not allow them to receive a share of the land. Num.18 : 20-31.
20 Then the Lord said to Aaron: "You shall have no inheritance in their land , nor shall you have any portion among them; I am your portion and your inheritance among the children of Israel.
21 "Behold , I have given the children of Levi all the tithes in Israel as an inheritance in return for the work which they perform , the work of the tabernacle of meeting.
22 Hereafter the children of Israel shall not come near the tabernacle of meeting , lest they bear sin and die.
23 But the Levites shall perform the work of the tabernacle of meeting , and they shall bear their iniquity; it shall be a statute forever , throughout your generations , that among the children of Israel they shall have no inheritance.
Kindly read up the other Verses.
Joshua. 13:14,33
14 Only to the tribe of Levi He had given no inheritance; the sacrifices of the Lord God of Israel made by fire are their inheritance , as He said to them.
33 But to the tribe of Levi Moses had given no inheritance; the Lord God of Israel was their inheritance , as He had said to them.
Joshua. 14:3-5
3 For Moses had given the inheritance of the two tribes and the half-tribe on the other side of the Jordan; but to the Levites He had given no inheritance among them.
4 For the children of Joseph were two tribes: Manasseh and Ephraim. And they gave no part to the Levites in the land , except cities to dwell in , with their common-lands for their livestock and their property.
5 As the Lord had commanded Moses , so the children of Israel did; and they divided the land.
God's plan in the Old Testament was that the Levites were to eat from the Temple "The Tithes offered by the rest tribes". Neh.12:44
44 And at the same time some were appointed over the rooms of the storehouse for the offerings , the firstfruits , and the tithes , to gather into them from the fields of the cities the portions specified by the Law for the priests and Levites; for Judah rejoiced over the priests and Levites who ministered.
Therefore, If You Were Not A Levites You Can Not Receive Tithes. Today, No Nigerian is a Levite(That is, No Nigeria is From The Tribe of Levi in Israel) and No Nigerian Belongs To The Rest Eleven Tribes' Who Paid Tithes To Levi.
Therefore, No Nigerian is Under Obligation To Pay Tithes. CLEAR AND SIMPLE.
I WILL BE LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING YOU DEBUNK THIS LESSONS SCRIPTURAL AND NOT WITH YOUR EMOTIONS AND PERSONAL THOUGHT, BUT GET YOUR PROOFS FROM THE BIBLE.
*copied*
Re: Tithe: Should I Pay/give Tithes? Bible Perspective by petra1(m): 9:30pm On Dec 10, 2017
[[[
jaszplus12:
We
If You Were Not A Levites You Can Not Receive Tithes. Today, No Nigerian is a Levite(That is, No Nigeria is From The Tribe of Levi in Israel) and No Nigerian Belongs To The Rest Eleven Tribes' Who Paid Tithes To Levi.

WRONG!!! Melchizedek was not a Levite , he received tithe . Tithe is given to God not pastor. How ever full time workers in the church can be paid from it.

Z1 Corinthians 9:13-14
Do ye not know that they which minister about holy things live of the things of the temple? and they which wait at the altar are partakers with the altar? Elhven so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tithe: Should I Pay/give Tithes? Bible Perspective by fellowman: 10:20pm On Dec 10, 2017
OP you are right, I'll also love you to see what I wrote about tithing in this link too.

https://www.nairaland.com/4215508/tithing-not-eternal-principle

1 Like

Re: Tithe: Should I Pay/give Tithes? Bible Perspective by MuttleyLaff: 10:25pm On Dec 10, 2017
petra1:
WRONG!!! Melchizedek was not a Levite , he received tithe.
Tithe is given to God not pastor. How ever full time workers in the church can be paid from it.

1 Corinthians 9:13-14
Do ye not know that they which minister about holy things live of the things of the temple? and they which wait at the altar are partakers with the altar? Elhven so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel
The only tithes to God are:
1) the Levitical tithe aka Mosaic Law tithe, which God permitted to be given only to NOWS
(i.e. NOWS being an acronymn for No-inheritance Levites, Orphans, Widows and Strangers)
and
2) the Abraham type of tithe, given to a priest cum king (i.e. Melchizedek)
- see #3 below about this one

Other tithes in a secular world context (i.e. give a tenth, 1/10, 10% and possibly 0.1) are:
1) the Mesopotamia/Babylonian tithe, given at pagan temples to priest(s)
(note: extra biblical references will be provided upon request, similar with #3 below)
2) the type given upon the king's demand's (note: bible references will be provided upon request)
3) the type given to local ruler cum priest worthy of the consideration, after taking up arms, go to fight and winning battle fight(s) or war

"For this reason I am sending you prophets and wise men and experts in the law,
some of whom you will kill and crucify, and some you will flog in your synagogues and pursue from town to town

- Matthew 23:34

Another tithe, not previously stated, is the ecclesiastical tithe
Any expert in the biblical law, or anyone for that matter, familiar with the biblical law, can attest that
this particular tithe was thought of, at a much later time, as it originally wasn't and/or was never intended to be practised at all.

Ecclesiastical tithe, is where a christian gathering, taxes its members 10%, tenth, 1/10 or possibly 0.1 too, of their financial income.
Some christian gatherings, even have a tithe ledger,
and members fall out of the christian gatherings' favour, if their names are found wanting in the tithe ledger book

"Church" ostracises or denies "church" members, privileges like "church" posts,
declining to officiate at their marriage, death or birth naming ceremonies because they don't give ecclesiastical tithe

"Church" members who don't give a specified and regular 10% cant be a pastor, deacon, choir member, choir leader, minister, usher etcetera in the "church"?

If anyone, so wishes to tithe, as in give a tenth, 1/10, 10% or possibly 0.1 of your financial income, there is nothing wrong in that
but you'll be going down the wrong path, the moment you permit this practice to be imposed upon you as a religious duty

Ecclesiastical tithe is performing something imposed and so consequently is a religious duty

Do you know what the gospel means and is?
Gospel means good news
and it typifies FREEDOM, from any type or form of obligatory or imposed tithing.

Observe that, Matthew Chapter 23, which is the only place in the bible, where & when Jesus ever mentioned tithing, has 7 woe curses in it
No one needs to be reminded of what the symbolic representation, meaning and/or significance of the number 7 in the bible is.

Suffice to say, you'll be placing the woe curse upon yourself, if you willingly accept ecclesiastical tithes from the needy and poor.
Also, the woe curse betide, anyone, guilty by association, in cahoots, with those accepting ecclesiastical tithes from the needy and poor.

1 Like

Re: Tithe: Should I Pay/give Tithes? Bible Perspective by jaszplus12(m): 4:50pm On Dec 19, 2017
fellowman:
OP you are right, I'll also love you to see what I wrote about tithing in this link too.

https://www.nairaland.com/4215508/tithing-not-eternal-principle
thank you for standing up in defence of the truth! I've read through it bro!
Re: Tithe: Should I Pay/give Tithes? Bible Perspective by nicemuyoo: 11:18pm On Dec 19, 2017
Abrahams tithe was a custom of the land over practiced back then. If you go on war and you are successful. You give a percentage commonly 10% of your spoil of wars to the king/ priest of the land or area where you live. It is a cultural practise of the land . Pagans do it too and That is a fact. Abraham did not tithe out is abundant profits as he was already blessed before giving a tithe of the spoils of war!
God order by law through Moses that ONLY 1% of the spoils of war should be given to the levites/ priest. 
Tithing spoils of war and tithing your profit are two different things. 
Abraham never tithe out of is personal profit. 
Jesus, James, Paul, Peter never taught tithing or collected tithe. They mat have made reference to it while making or discussing another issue but no teaching on tithing Fact!
The support Paul was all about is helping travelling ministers not resident and stationary ones. Help them via donations for bare necessities not luxury!! And not via tithe. Only bare necessities so they are not impoverish . Paul said he would rather die than demand for provision from the church( bare necessities mind you). We are not like those that pedal the gospel of our lord. Are you a hiring doing it for return or you are a bride that does the work free out of a love for the bridegroom!!
This have been twisted today into tithe and exploitation which our saviour never commanded. Placing heavy burden on people like the Pharisee twisting the word of God saying if you make a vow to give to God you can fulfil that vow first even if it means neglecting your parents. So you nullify the word of God to sooth our own teachings. And Jesus said you do many other things like that! Jesus, Paul, James, Peter taught about given & donation, that has all been ignored by today's church, bringing back what was established in church in 777AD by other of roman emperor, which they have long abandoned in catholic and uk churches due to revolt/ riot by the population. Do you know the history? Do you research.
Lastly tithe as never used fortemple/ church maintenance as it is food and it is an ABOMINATION to use tithe for ANYTHING OTHER THAN FEED THE LEVITES AND LESS PREVILEGED.

petra1:
[[[

WRONG!!! Melchizedek was not a Levite , he received tithe . Tithe is given to God not pastor. How ever full time workers in the church can be paid from it.

Z1 Corinthians 9:13-14

Re: Tithe: Should I Pay/give Tithes? Bible Perspective by petra1(m): 11:56pm On Dec 19, 2017
nicemuyoo:
Abrahams tithe was a custom of the land over practiced back then. If you go on war and you are successful. You give a percentage commonly 10% of your spoil of wars to the king/ priest of the land or area where you live. It is a cultural practise of the land . Pagans do it too and That is a fact.

wrong. theres no such thing. can you kindly quote the passage in the bible ? Abraham didn't pay tithe to melchizedek as king but as a priest of God . He blessed Abraham by the spirit. tithe is a spiritual oblation. pls don't insult Abrahams tithe

Abraham did not tithe out is abundant profits as he was already blessed before giving a tithe of the spoils of war!
God order by law through Moses that ONLY 1% of the spoils of war should be given to the levites/ priest. 
Tithing spoils of war and tithing your profit are two different things

it takes a man who tithes as a life style to tithe spoil of war. the fact that we have one written record of abrahams tithe doesn't mean he did it only once

Abraham never tithe out of is personal profit.

what you gain in battle is yours.

Jesus, James, Paul, Peter never taught tithing or collected tithe. They mat have made reference to it while making or discussing another issue but no teaching on tithing Fact!

The support Paul was all about is helping travelling ministers not resident and stationary ones. Help them via donations for bare necessities not luxury!! And not via tithe. Only bare necessities so they are not impoverish . Paul said he would rather die than demand for provision from the church( bare necessities mind you)

He did , except in corinth. because many nairalanders were in that church . most pastors don't receive salary. they are volunteers. most churches only send out those who have a job as pastors. except few who are on full-time . and the allowances are not much

We are not like those that pedal the gospel of our lord. Are you a hiring doing it for return or you are a bride that does the work free out of a love for the bridegroom!!
this ia unnecessary .

This have been twisted today into tithe and exploitation which our saviour never commanded. Placing heavy burden on people like the Pharisee twisting the word of God saying if you make a vow to give to God you can fulfil that vow first even if it means neglecting your parents

honoring parents is a kingdom principle as well. it shouldn't take the place of tithe or vice versa

o you nullify the word of God to sooth our own teachings. And Jesus said you do many other things like that! Jesus, Paul, James, Peter taught about given & donation, that has all been ignored by today's church, bringing back what was established in church in 777AD by other of roman emperor, which they have long abandoned in catholic and uk churches due to revolt/ riot by the population. Do you know the history? Do you research.
Lastly tithe as never used fortemple/ church maintenance as it is food and it is an ABOMINATION to use tithe for ANYTHING OTHER THAN FEED THE LEVITES AND LESS PREVILEGED.

tithe is not for less privilege . but for ministers of Gods house
Re: Tithe: Should I Pay/give Tithes? Bible Perspective by nicemuyoo: 8:24am On Dec 20, 2017
Go and do a simple historical research on tithing. There are ancient records showing tithe paid in pagan temple and to kings in ancient times. During this time a king hold the position of a king and a priest.
I would now explain to you facts that are not taught in theology.
I. Melchizedek was a king of Salem and a priest of the house hold of Seth. Melchizedek is A title not real name. A worshipers of Yahweh. Abraham learnt about Yahweh from him before Yahweh called him this is not recorded in bible but in ancient Hebrew history books.
2. Salem town where Yahweh was worshipped eventually became Jerusalem. God did not just pick a random place to put his name.
3 Paul never taught or collected tithe. Paul was a travelling minister. He received donations from brethren for basic necessities but most often he worked to feed himself and made it plain he prefers to work and teach the gospel without being a burden.
4. There is only one pastor Jesus Christ and every other person is a follower; a fellow priest.
5. The re Hebrew chapter you are quoting was to convince and remind the Hebrews that before in ancient times the position of priest and king is held by the first and oldest male of a family house hold. Abraham was a king and a priest of his own house hold that is why he can offer sacrifices for his household before God.
Because the Hebrews where no longer used to this ancient truth he reminded then that Jesus was was a king and a priest at the same time! Not like aaronic priesthood that has no kingship authority to it.
Yahushua priesthood is like that of melchizedek of old a priesthood with kingship authority. Also using the showing that melchizedek priesthood is superior to that of aaronic priesthood that came later from the lineage of Abraham.
The discussion is not about tithe or endorses tithe in new covenant. Taken out of context and twisting scriptures. Well people make scriptures say what they want to their own destruction according said to Peter.
It is high time people read scriptures in proper context.
Malachi tithe chapter accused the pastors/ bishops of the time for stealing the tithe not the people but the levites/ priest. When you go further up to previous chapters you would know this fact. But pastors all over have taken this verses out of context and twisted to attack innocent congregation.

Salem was a priest and a king of Salem.

petra1:

wrong. theres no such thing. can you kindly quote the passage in the bible ? Abraham didn't pay tithe to melchizedek as king but as a priest of God . He blessed Abraham by the spirit. tithe is a spiritual oblation. pls don't insult Abrahams tithe

it takes a man who tithes as a life style to tithe spoil of war. the fact that we have one written record of abrahams tithe doesn't mean he did it only once

what you gain in battle is yours.

He did , except in corinth. because many nairalanders were in that church . most pastors don't receive salary. they are volunteers. most churches only send out those who have a job as pastors. except few who are on full-time . and the allowances are not much

this ia unnecessary .

honoring parents is a kingdom principle as well. it shouldn't take the place of tithe or vice versa

tithe is not for less privilege . but for ministers of Gods house
Re: Tithe: Should I Pay/give Tithes? Bible Perspective by emmyileri(m): 9:18pm On Mar 21, 2022

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Factor By Which True Christians Are Identified / Church Set Ablaze As Priest Conducts Wedding For Brother, Teenage Sister / Check Out Why Popular RCCG Pastor, Wale Adenuga Resigned

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.