Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,199 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:40 AM

My Tenant Refused To Park Out After His Rent Expired - Properties (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / My Tenant Refused To Park Out After His Rent Expired (31739 Views)

Urgent! Should I Allow My Tenant Bury Her 1 Year Old Daughter In My Compound? / My Tenant Was Burnt To Death / What My Tenant Sent Me This Morning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Tenant Refused To Park Out After His Rent Expired by AdolfHitlerxXx: 12:34pm On Dec 16, 2017
Daboomb:

Read my Post!
it is BAD Advice. undecided undecided

because something looks outlandish, does not make it "legally acceptable".
Be Guided otherwise, the tenant will leave you in court and come back to your house to tell the other tenants how he dealt with you and you know what that will make the other tenants do. grin grin

I actually like your advice too.
Re: My Tenant Refused To Park Out After His Rent Expired by dondo83(m): 12:49pm On Dec 16, 2017
Now do you know that is a gold mine for you? If your lawyer decides to write them that you will sue them and get their Niesv license cancelled they will be begging you with big settlements.. my brother you have hammered if you have a case.. It is a win win when a company manages your property.. It is my line and as much as I'm not a bigot I will never rent a clients property to some ethnic group, my company does thorough background history on every prospective client ... no doubt we encounter difficult tenant but it's the the barest minimal and we know how we handle such
Re: My Tenant Refused To Park Out After His Rent Expired by Daboomb: 12:49pm On Dec 16, 2017
AdolfHitlerxXx:

I actually like your advice too.

I am talking from the "Point of Law", so that it can help others to know their limits, as Landlords.

If you know the Law, you can get away with virtually anything...that is why rich people hire S.A.N's, when they don thief our money finish! grin grin grin
Re: My Tenant Refused To Park Out After His Rent Expired by Daboomb: 12:50pm On Dec 16, 2017
dondo83:
Now do you know that is a gold mine for you? If your lawyer decides to write them that you will sue them and get their Niesv license cancelled they will be begging you with big settlements.. my brother you have hammered if you have a case.. It is a win win when a company manages your property.. It is my line and as much as I'm not a bigot I will never rent a clients property to some ethnic group, my company does thorough background history on every prospective client ... no doubt we encounter difficult tenant but it's the the barest minimal and we know how we handle such

Sir,
What is Niesv License?
Re: My Tenant Refused To Park Out After His Rent Expired by Clyod: 12:55pm On Dec 16, 2017
6UEE:
At this your age your mates are thinking of how to build their own house and not forming solidarity with never do well tenants like yourself.

I almost died with laughter

5 Likes

Re: My Tenant Refused To Park Out After His Rent Expired by enemyofprogress: 1:02pm On Dec 16, 2017
PointZerom:
If the tenant is on yearly payment, it is 6 months notice that u'll give him and it will start counting frm d day you served him d notice irrespective of how many months he has not paid.
thanks for this info. Walahi my landlord go hear am next year when my house rent expires
Re: My Tenant Refused To Park Out After His Rent Expired by greggng: 1:11pm On Dec 16, 2017
collinsmp:

Do i still need a lawyer after court served him Quit notice last week

I thought u are educated. You ought to ve gotten a lawyer first b4 approach the court through ur lawyer. It is the work of lawyers not ur work. There are processes and procedures. Go and get yourself a good lawyer now
Re: My Tenant Refused To Park Out After His Rent Expired by Nobody: 1:13pm On Dec 16, 2017
Daboomb:

It means you NOTIFY the Tenant in writing, of your "Intention to Recover your property" on or before the expiry of that period (six months or three months as the case may be...... from the date of service).

Hello Sir,

Notification.... agreed. Grace period, is just a time lag, in between two actions. Mind you, irrespective of whether he was served a notice to quit or not, if he subsequently pays any rent then the notice is as good as dead.
Same way the court would give two parties seeking divorce time to reconsider their options before making the order for divorce.
So sir, that is a "grace period" to either terminate the contract or renew it. Thanks.
Re: My Tenant Refused To Park Out After His Rent Expired by CaptainFM1: 1:13pm On Dec 16, 2017
ebujany:

Oga landlord. Paying rent a day after rent has expired? Have u ever been a tenant in someone's house before? Is that how u use to pay? Even in this present economic situation?

As for your tenant, hes obviously a trouble maker and a landlord like u that will ask his tenant to renew His rent a day after his rent has expired deserves some one like that

So when is the ideal time to pay?

3 Likes

Re: My Tenant Refused To Park Out After His Rent Expired by Nobody: 1:16pm On Dec 16, 2017
Chukazu:

From the last date of expiration of previous payment
Sir, thank you..but please widen your understanding of the word "grace".
Re: My Tenant Refused To Park Out After His Rent Expired by mannatech: 1:34pm On Dec 16, 2017
Daboomb:

No Sir, you are Wrong ...............about the duration only!
It has to be SIX MONTHS, for Yearly tenants.

Give them exactly SIX Months, to when their rent expires. undecided undecided grin grin
In the case of a yearly tenant who was issued Notice to Quit after expiration of his rent, is he required by law to pay rent for the 6months duration
Re: My Tenant Refused To Park Out After His Rent Expired by Yampotatocarrot(m): 1:36pm On Dec 16, 2017
Daboomb:

No Sir, you are Wrong ...............about the duration only!
It has to be SIX MONTHS, for Yearly tenants.

Give them exactly SIX Months, to when their rent expires. undecided undecided grin grin

Loooooooooooooooooooooooooool, I get u boss. That's why I said 5months, so that they'll have one more month to prepare or face the seven days notice
Re: My Tenant Refused To Park Out After His Rent Expired by Seankay323: 1:39pm On Dec 16, 2017
Daboomb:

No Sir, You are WRONG.
You can serve a Quit Notice within when the rent is still operating!

What the law states is that the Notice MUST TERMINATE "On Date" or "After Date" when Rent expires.

Best thing is to serve the Notice and for it to expire SAME DAY the rent expires.
From that moment on, it is just 7days Notice
. grin grin undecided undecided
good contributions oga, I have lil issue with my landlord o, I have been diligently paying rent for the past 2 years. As at January this year our electricity was disconnected from the main source (another estate due to reasons beyond me and can't be resolved) I paid rent a week b4 the light was disconnected and since then nothing has been done till date , I have paid rent and landlord is still being laid back about sorting the light issue. God knows how much i have spent on fuel this year. Please wot do u suggest, is there a way I can be compensated or just wait till January move out and allow landlord to get away with this( 700k rent) .
Re: My Tenant Refused To Park Out After His Rent Expired by CaptainFM1: 1:39pm On Dec 16, 2017
I will teach you one stupid trick....

Get an earthen bowl,
Pour little palm oil on it,
Put 'eko' (Dry pap), put a cock head
Add some vegetables on one side,
Put 3 Kolanuts,
Tie a red cloth to a horn.
Then write his name in red ink, preferably animal blood on a paper.

If you watch Yoruba movies very well....you should be able to package a very scary sacrifice...

Place your package in front of his door. He will leave within one week.

But don't be surprised if a hungry tenant just packed up your garbage and eat. Na prayer you will need for such a tenant.
Re: My Tenant Refused To Park Out After His Rent Expired by femoree2(m): 1:51pm On Dec 16, 2017
collinsmp:
Hi everyone please i need an advice on what to do . My tenant house rent have expired since August this year he have refused to pay for house rent i told my junior brother to go to court last week and the court served him Quit notice pasted it in his door but the 7

days have expired on Monday this week the court have not done anything to eject him and him have refused to go to court or park out. i need an advice next step to take this will be my first time of serving my tenant Quit notice am always lucky to have good tenants but this one have been giving all the tenants in my house problem my tenants have been complaining to me bitterly

Go to citizen mediation centre and tender your case they will invite him and help resolve your issues. You will have to forfeit 1-3 months to give the tenant time to organize money to get another apartment then vacate your property, if he doesn't they will take it up with the tenant. It's easier than going to court cos if you go to court it's going to take longer to get him out of the house cos he can appeal.
Re: My Tenant Refused To Park Out After His Rent Expired by Chukazu: 1:54pm On Dec 16, 2017
PropertiesNaija:

Sir, thank you..but please widen your understanding of the word "grace".

Yes ,I do.

That makes it even more trickier, because you are doing it out of your magnanimity ... instead of taking the side of law

Hope you find the most amicable way to resolve it
Re: My Tenant Refused To Park Out After His Rent Expired by mechanics(m): 1:56pm On Dec 16, 2017
Daboomb:

Again, the Police have no hand in Ejection process, unless if ordered by a Court, through the use of a Bailiff.
You guys shoud lat least try to know what the law says, before offering advice.
If "your enemy" end-up in Kirikiri now or you are asked to pay compensation to your tenant who is owing you rent, you will say the law is bad! angry angry
The law does not respect anyone (theoretically sha grin )
read my comment well I said or he should go back to court to make it official
Re: My Tenant Refused To Park Out After His Rent Expired by dondo83(m): 1:59pm On Dec 16, 2017
Daboomb:

Sir,
What is Niesv License?

Nigerian institution of estate surveyors and valuers
Re: My Tenant Refused To Park Out After His Rent Expired by xammy(m): 2:15pm On Dec 16, 2017
use juju
Re: My Tenant Refused To Park Out After His Rent Expired by NoToPile: 2:17pm On Dec 16, 2017
Evil tenants everywhere.

If you are broke at least you explain.

I don't blame those who use werepe grin
Re: My Tenant Refused To Park Out After His Rent Expired by vetinosae: 2:22pm On Dec 16, 2017
You are good man and most commend you. However note that the tenant must be evicted via a due process. from your account stated, that quit notice is defective and invalid. you ought to have informed him 6 months to the expiration of his rent that you won't renew it as the expiration of his rent. you didn't do this. so on what grounds do you think you can evict him. I will suggest you meet with him and ask him to pay you another year rent counting from August. By 2nd of February 2018, formally write him your intention of not renewal when his rent expires by August 1st 2017. when the time comes in August after the expiration if Jesus has not come, we can also be of advise to you. you can meet your lawyer for advice.
Re: My Tenant Refused To Park Out After His Rent Expired by Nobody: 2:47pm On Dec 16, 2017
Realestatepro:
This is how tenants behave especially in Lagos state.
Once they pay the first rent and it expires, to pay subsequent rents becomes a big problem.

They do this on purpose because the law is on their side.

Get a lawyer and take them to court, if they are on a yearly tenancy, that means you have to give them 6months quit notice.
my brother tenants and their wahala I've almost completed my houses for rent I have decided to just sell off the place and put the money in treasury bills. Funny enough I will get more from treasury bills yearly without having to fight with anyone before collecting rent. I just font know y some tenants are so troublesome. I'm currently a tenant and I always pay before my rent expires. Ghats y the land lord has not increased my rent since I moved in over 4 years ago. To be landlord no easy oh especially when it comes to collecting rent.

3 Likes

Re: My Tenant Refused To Park Out After His Rent Expired by godsfavoritee(m): 2:56pm On Dec 16, 2017
Go to ministry of justice.. its free and faster for a stubborn Tennant..
Re: My Tenant Refused To Park Out After His Rent Expired by barristerbiodun(m): 2:58pm On Dec 16, 2017
mfm04622:

Go back to court and tell them he refused to leave. Ask court to provide bailiffs to evict him.

Please on no account should you use self help to evict him. Use the court process you have started. Remember you may also sue him to recover rent he owe for the time he spent without paying. After getting such judgement, if he doesn't pay, you can ask court to attach his properties.

As a lawyer, I believe my legal advice should suffice...since your tenant's rent had expired since August...all you need is 7 Days Owners intention to Recover Possession....this will be drafted by lawyer...after the expiration of 7 days from when the notice has been served...landlord will now proceed to court to get a lawful eviction, anything apart from this way will be unlawful...forceful eviction will make you liable so be careful...your best bet is proceed to court after the expiration of 7 days...pay your lawyer!
Re: My Tenant Refused To Park Out After His Rent Expired by chiteny(m): 3:50pm On Dec 16, 2017
Airforce1:
Telling him to pay rent a day after his rent expired is pure wickedness.

So Your Graciousness, when is the tenant suppose to pay the new rent?

1 Like

Re: My Tenant Refused To Park Out After His Rent Expired by Nobody: 4:00pm On Dec 16, 2017
collinsmp:
Hi everyone please i need an advice on what to do . My tenant house rent have expired since August this year he have refused to pay for house rent i told my junior brother to go to court last week and the court served him Quit notice pasted it in his door but the 7

days have expired on Monday this week the court have not done anything to eject him and him have refused to go to court or park out. i need an advice next step to take this will be my first time of serving my tenant Quit notice am always lucky to have good tenants but this one have been giving all the tenants in my house problem my tenants have been complaining to me bitterly

God helps the tenant who refused to leave my house after being served quit notice.
I will Fvck him up. Some people just like to take the Piss.

1 Like

Re: My Tenant Refused To Park Out After His Rent Expired by ANTONINEUTRON(m): 4:01pm On Dec 16, 2017
aariwa:
Since you don't want to contact a lawyer.Let me give you a summary of what you should do .Serve him the statutory notices ie 7 days and one month,then file a suit for recovery of premises at the nearest magistrate court.Once the case comes up tell the court you are handling the case yourself,enter witness box and tell the court what the man did and the order you are seeking from them.The bailiff will then enter the box and tell the court that he served the man but he didn't come .The court will then grant you the order you are seeking.You will take the judgement copy and go to the bailiff and pay them for policemen. The policemen and the bailiffs will go to the man's house one early morning, break his house and pack all his properties to the court premises.I hope you learnt something today from this.Goodluck
1 like for you, see how u make am easy

1 Like

Re: My Tenant Refused To Park Out After His Rent Expired by Chukazu: 4:03pm On Dec 16, 2017
Daboomb:

No Sir, You are WRONG.
You can serve a Quit Notice within when the rent is still operating!

What the law states is that the Notice MUST TERMINATE "On Date" or "After Date" when Rent expires.

Best thing is to serve the Notice and for it to expire SAME DAY the rent expires.
From that moment on, it is just 7days Notice
. grin grin undecided undecided

We saying the same thing.
It doesn't really matter when you serve the notice, what matters to take cognizance of the rent expiration date...the notice can even be back dated to such effect
Re: My Tenant Refused To Park Out After His Rent Expired by aariwa(m): 4:21pm On Dec 16, 2017
Daboomb:

This is a very risky maneuvre, for some Landlord who is ignorant of the law and is facing a crooked, wicked, tenant-from-hell!

1.) It will become very obvious, that the Landlord is "not on ground" and has very limited knowledge of the tenancy law.

2.) Once the above is established, it is in that same court that some "touts" will approach the tenant and offer to help him frustrate the landlord (Note: these touts are working with the Court Registrar and Clerk and they all share the proceeds)

3.) They can use repeated adjournment to frustrate your case. they can hand it over to a corrupt Judge who wil collect "Egunje" (through his Registrar) and put your case as the last, to be heard in the next one year! grin grin

4.) Every Law has "technicalities" which a lay-man may not be able to interprete or take advantage-of!
For example: If your Baliiff is "bribed", he may just fix a Saturday for the eviction for you.
You will be happy but l am sure that only Lawyers (or those familiar with the law properly, know that you cant do an eviction on a weekend of public holiday! It is Null and Void under the law! undecided undecided )

In summary, l think it is safer to let "professionals" handle the matter.
Some wicked tenant know pass landlord sef! grin grin

BTW: If l were this landlord, l will not push the tenant too hard to leave.... l will want to ensure that his property is carted-away openly and "Auctioned" to recover owed rent. That is how you teach such people a lesson.
A layman can always contact a colleague when he/ she gets hooked up in the procedure.The aim is not for me to prevent my colleagues in his area from chopping but to protect him from quacks.I did a lot of these tenancy and bailing people from police when i was a fresh wig but now as my wig don dey old I no dey too get time for those again Lol
Re: My Tenant Refused To Park Out After His Rent Expired by teemy(m): 5:48pm On Dec 16, 2017
Airforce1:
Telling him to pay rent a day after his rent expired is pure wickedness.

He had a whole 365 days to prepare for that date.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Tenant Refused To Park Out After His Rent Expired by teemy(m): 5:55pm On Dec 16, 2017
enemyofprogress:
thanks for this info. Walahi my landlord go hear am next year when my house rent expires

You still pay for the six months and it is not as if it is free housing dear and once you owe, you become a Tenant-At-Will and based on the state's laws you can be ejected in seven days or one month + seven days. grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Property On Fire At Lagos Island (Photos) / Turkey Security Doors And Wooden Doors For Sales / Court Remands Lekki Gardens MD, Contractor In Custody

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.