Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,168 members, 7,864,048 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 10:50 AM

Nigeria Transmits 5,156MW Electricity, Highest Ever – Official - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Transmits 5,156MW Electricity, Highest Ever – Official (12832 Views)

Presidency Transmits Minimum Wage Bill To National Assembly / BREAKING: National Assembly Transmits Amended Electoral Bill To Buhari / Nigeria Transmits 5,222mw Electricity, Highest Ever – TCN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Transmits 5,156MW Electricity, Highest Ever – Official by cstr1000: 9:02am On Dec 15, 2017
9jakohai:

He has gotten Mambilla back on line, and also several new projects are due to come on stream. Plus, kainji power generation is due to be increased next year. Contract was signed between the company running Kainji and GE this week.

The problem is our ancient transmission system, which needs $100bn to replace, hence GEJ privatizing power.

Really, govt has hands off power since 2014.All it needs to do is pay the bills.
So I am correct. All the correct MWs we have now has nothing to do with Buhari.
Re: Nigeria Transmits 5,156MW Electricity, Highest Ever – Official by iKnowevents(m): 9:03am On Dec 15, 2017
GavelSlam:

Where in Awka?

Go to Ifite Awka, go to Commissioner's Quarters... they are even lucky for four days of no light. Some areas are much unlucky, seeing cumulatively 12hrs of light in a WEEK. And paying bills like say na dem de support the National Grid!
Re: Nigeria Transmits 5,156MW Electricity, Highest Ever – Official by Nobody: 9:04am On Dec 15, 2017
benjaminoikhe:
If at GEJ administration will could get almost constant light with less than 5000MW and you are saying this is highest ever when we cannot get 6hrs light that means you all are liers and it can never be well with you people

That isn't true....and no I am not attacking GEJ, whose power privatization I supported

We did have some improvement, but only in some parts of the country, and on average 12-22 hours. ...and by the dry season, things went down again.

For power to improve, we need at least 20000MW.South Africa has 40000MW
Re: Nigeria Transmits 5,156MW Electricity, Highest Ever – Official by Slymonster(m): 9:05am On Dec 15, 2017
Well, where I am in abuja.I can't remember the last time light went off and I know it hasn't gone off this week. I think other areas and states need to feel the effect. Otherwise,its just on paper.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Transmits 5,156MW Electricity, Highest Ever – Official by tungamaje: 9:05am On Dec 15, 2017
If there is anything like improvements, we in Akure haven't felt it. BEDC is a total failure. They shouldn't have been allowed into this power business in the first place. I don't think any part of Akure the capital can boast of 4 hours supply a day
Re: Nigeria Transmits 5,156MW Electricity, Highest Ever – Official by Smooyis(m): 9:05am On Dec 15, 2017
Caseless:
Sai baba of the world! I will vote you again and again.
Stop politicizing everything. This is purely a celebration of mediocrity. We should be ashamed of ourselves. Imagine the quantum of resources that have been invested in the power sector to give 5,000mw for a population of about 200million people. This is grossly out of order. shocked shocked shocked
Re: Nigeria Transmits 5,156MW Electricity, Highest Ever – Official by Drsunnie(m): 9:07am On Dec 15, 2017
...and we don't have light in my area for the past one week
Re: Nigeria Transmits 5,156MW Electricity, Highest Ever – Official by GavelSlam: 9:08am On Dec 15, 2017
iKnowevents:

Go to Ifite Awka, go to Commissioner's Quarters... they are even lucky for four days of no light. Some areas are much unlucky, seeing cumulatively 12hrs of light in a WEEK. And paying bills like say na dem de support the National Grid!

Enugu Electricity Distribution Company sabotaging their brothers.

It is well.
Re: Nigeria Transmits 5,156MW Electricity, Highest Ever – Official by Chukwuka16: 9:08am On Dec 15, 2017
20 000 MW in four years?! God these guys really took us for big fools. Even South Africa has not been able to add up to 10 000 MW in 10 years. Aside the Medupi and Kusile power plants, they have had to re-commission already decommissioned power plants just to have enough reserve margin. 20 000 MW in four years and we believed! My God! What about the financing, cost recovery options etc. Electricity price in South Africa is around the same price in Nigeria, so what is the increase being hyped by the government going to do?

anonimi:
Is this the 24/7 electricity promised by barawo bubu and his 40 thieves cabal of the All Poverty Congress, APC
Bloody liars, propagandists and rogues.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3761757_img20160526095323_jpegc5e08122716ddc4040d133cb2b39cca6

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3492308_buhari20000mwelectricitypromise_jpegb3d308b82b0aaf0f68a6c50acecfbb5c

Re: Nigeria Transmits 5,156MW Electricity, Highest Ever – Official by Nobody: 9:09am On Dec 15, 2017
cstr1000:

So I am correct. All the correct MWs we have now has nothing to do with Buhari.

Because, privatization.

That's partly why power, works were merged under one ministry.

In bubu, 's favour, he did get Mambilla restarted, and some power projects were initiated by him.

Unfortunately he hasn't done anything about transmission. Agreed costs to replace it are high, but I would have expected he took a loan to at least start fixing it.
Re: Nigeria Transmits 5,156MW Electricity, Highest Ever – Official by ashjay001(m): 9:09am On Dec 15, 2017
CLASSMAN:
When i no get light

Pele, come take smalltongue

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Transmits 5,156MW Electricity, Highest Ever – Official by solreb: 9:09am On Dec 15, 2017
ryd3:
To start with, issues with energy in Nigeria has more to do with generation. With close to 190 million people, the 5000 megawatts is grossly insufficient. This means that we can only ration out energy in the country. USA, China and India with huge population have hundreds of thousands of megawatts produced, and even south africa with a population of less than 60 million generate close to 50, 000 megawatts. To understand this issue, just imagine using a petrol generator or better pass my neighbour to power a street. Fix the generation, fix the metering system, reduce bypass and we would all be better off for it

Capacity has to increase in the entire chain (generation, transmission and distribution). For instance PH has a gas turbine plant that had to work at about 20% generating capacity because not enough transmission capacity to evacuate if the plant works at say 89% capacity.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Transmits 5,156MW Electricity, Highest Ever – Official by GavelSlam: 9:09am On Dec 15, 2017
Smooyis:

Stop politicizing everything. This is purely a celebration of mediocrity. We should be ashamed of ourselves. Imagine the quantum of resources that have been invested in the power sector to give 5,000mw for a population of about 200million people. This is grossly out of order. shocked shocked shocked

So if you were given 1 trillion dollars today you think you can provide uninterrupted power supply to every home by June 2018?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Transmits 5,156MW Electricity, Highest Ever – Official by anonimi: 9:10am On Dec 15, 2017
Chukwuka16:
20 000 MW in four years?! God these guys really took us for big fools. Even South Africa has not been able to add up to 10 000 MW in 10 years. Aside the Medupi and Kusile power plants, they have had to re-commission already decommissioned power plants just to have enough reserve margin. 20 000 MW in four years and we believed! My God! What about the financing, cost recovery options etc. Electricity price in South Africa is around the same price in Nigeria, so what is the increase being hyped by the government going to do?

All Poverty Congress, APC took many of us for fools big time.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3234361_fbimg1450823846843_jpegccc7ea9d509141b638a64535ab185d08

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Transmits 5,156MW Electricity, Highest Ever – Official by Caseless: 9:10am On Dec 15, 2017
Chukwuka16:
On point. In addition to low transmission capacity we have about 10% lost due to T&grin losses then another 30-50% lost due to thefts, non-metering (ATC&C losses).

So celebrating 5 000 MW being transmitted is quite a slap on our faces!

it's disheartening.
Re: Nigeria Transmits 5,156MW Electricity, Highest Ever – Official by Nobody: 9:11am On Dec 15, 2017
Jonathan tried as President by re-positioning the power sector through numerous reforms grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Transmits 5,156MW Electricity, Highest Ever – Official by Nobody: 9:12am On Dec 15, 2017
ryd3:
To start with, issues with energy in Nigeria has more to do with generation. With close to 190 million people, the 5000 megawatts is grossly insufficient. This means that we can only ration out energy in the country. USA, China and India with huge population have hundreds of thousands of megawatts produced, and even south africa with a population of less than 60 million generate close to 50, 000 megawatts. To understand this issue, just imagine using a petrol generator or better pass my neighbour to power a street. Fix the generation, fix the metering system, reduce bypass and we would all be better off for it

Excellent analysis.

South Korea produces 160000MW to give an example.

We also really need to improve transmission

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Transmits 5,156MW Electricity, Highest Ever – Official by anonimi: 9:12am On Dec 15, 2017
GavelSlam:
So if you were given 1 trillion dollars today you think you can provide uninterrupted power supply to every home by June 2018?

Are you suggesting that the minister of darkness, Fashola told us lies when he said six/eight months was enough to give us 24/7 electricity

pendy79:
Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babatunde Fashola, on Sunday evening boasted that he could provide uninterrupted power supply to Lagos residents between six and eight months.

Fashola spoke at the commissioning of 8.5 megawatts Lekki Independent Power Project (IPP), the fifth of such power projects in the last five years in the state.

The governor said the addition of the Lekki IPP was a testament to the fact that stable power does not require rocket science to achieve in the country.

While challenging power distribution companies in the state, Fashola said, “Let the Eko DISCOs sign a contract with me, giving part of their concessioning to the state government, in about six to eight months, there will be power in all homes in Lagos State,” Fashola said.

He added, “So, let no one say that he has no money to deliver power for the entire country. This is the limit to which the law allows us to do, but we have done this to make a statement that power can be generated. So, when they come with lies that power is impossible, you can tell them that we have power here; we make it possible”.

The project, courtesy of the state government, in partnership with Heritage Bank, is to serve Lagos State Water Corporations in Lekki Phase 1, Oniru, Victoria Island and Ikoyi, as well as over 25km of public lightening in the Lekki axis.

Commissioning the project, Fashola said he felt fulfilled with the conduct of youths that delivered the project, despite the difficulties in getting to the finishing point.

He said it also showed that the money to improve the Nigerian economy is here, “since we don’t need the World Bank to come and do this for us.”

Also, General Manager, Lagos State Electricity Board, Damilola Ogunbiyi, said the state had shown that reliable and sustainable power projects are possible through the youths.

Ogunbiyi said though it had been a successful story, the state was just scratching the surface in its “aggressive development plan” in the area of power.

Promoter of the project, Faruk Agoro noted that the new IPP was an innovative idea of world-class natural gas-fired power generating facility, sold to the government by youths and it was bought into, to support government institutions, especially in the area of water supply and security.

The Lekki IPP is 8.5 megawatts, with the capacity for 30 megawatts.

This brings the Lagos IPPS to a total of 47 megawatts of electricity in total, powering several public institutions around the state.

The generated megawatts is however still a far cry from the over 10, 000 megawatts power deficit in the state.

On his part, the State Commissioner in the Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources, Taofeek Tijani, said the new addition was about continuity in public infrastructure programme of the state government

http://dailyindependentnig.com/2015/03/can-provide-stable-power-eight-months-fashola-boasts/

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Transmits 5,156MW Electricity, Highest Ever – Official by BruncleZuma: 9:13am On Dec 15, 2017
grin grin grin grin

20000 in four years meanwhile two don waka...that's the smallest US State Delaware...

Re: Nigeria Transmits 5,156MW Electricity, Highest Ever – Official by Caseless: 9:13am On Dec 15, 2017
Smooyis:

who should we blame?
Re: Nigeria Transmits 5,156MW Electricity, Highest Ever – Official by Caseless: 9:14am On Dec 15, 2017
BruncleZuma:
grin grin grin grin

20000 in four years meanwhile two don waka...that's the smallest US State Delaware...
dem don start.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Transmits 5,156MW Electricity, Highest Ever – Official by Ghostmode2two(m): 9:14am On Dec 15, 2017
Another lie
Re: Nigeria Transmits 5,156MW Electricity, Highest Ever – Official by Caseless: 9:15am On Dec 15, 2017
Keneking:
Jonathan tried as President by re-positioning the power sector through numerous reforms grin grin grin
grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Transmits 5,156MW Electricity, Highest Ever – Official by BruncleZuma: 9:15am On Dec 15, 2017
Caseless:
dem don start.
Dude you should have a brain and buzz off my mention.

Your father and god used lies and propagandists like you to push false promises with regards to electricity, security, jobs and health forgetting infrastructural implications of his campaign promises and when people ask questions even you wen dey queue upandan for petrol if you even have a generator go fly come mention me.

Swerve
Re: Nigeria Transmits 5,156MW Electricity, Highest Ever – Official by Caseless: 9:17am On Dec 15, 2017
BruncleZuma:
Dude you should have a brain and buzz off my mention.

You father and God used lies forgetting the technical and infrastructural implications of his campaign promises and when people ask questions even you wen dey queue upandan if you even have a generator go fly come mention me.

Swerve
I thought you're grown, but I was wrong.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Transmits 5,156MW Electricity, Highest Ever – Official by GavelSlam: 9:17am On Dec 15, 2017
anonimi:

Are you suggesting that the minister of darkness, Fashola told us lies when he said six/eight months was enough to give us 24/7 electricity

Lagos is not all of Nigeria.

So yes Lagos could be tackled in 6 months.

Fashola didn't lie.
Re: Nigeria Transmits 5,156MW Electricity, Highest Ever – Official by solreb: 9:19am On Dec 15, 2017
cstr1000:
Even if it this story is true, it is the product of all the previously installed generating capacity from OBJ down to GEJ.

Buhari has not increased our generating capacity by even one mega watt. They are still talking of awarding contract for a dam or something.

What is the point of building plants and they are not generating to installed capacity or not generating enough. So PMB does the right thing by getting these plants to work optimally and that is why generation increased to over 7000 mW for the first time in this country. Now before you sign new contracts to increase generating capacity you need to remove bottlenecks that impede investment in the power sector. That is the starting point and the govt has done pretty well in that regard.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Transmits 5,156MW Electricity, Highest Ever – Official by iKnowevents(m): 9:19am On Dec 15, 2017
GavelSlam:

Enugu Electricity Distribution Company sabotaging their brothers.

It is well.

It goes without saying that you are correct.

Btw, I believe we just communicated like HUMAN beings now and it's beautiful, will love your communication here to start being devoid of tribalistic slurs. It might be difficult for you to achieve, but one comment at a time.
I believe if you can change gradually and stop giving every issue tribal angle, some like minded individuals from both sides might borrow a leaf. It makes Nairaland a bore to go through and more of a childish platform.

Thanks in anticipation of either acceptance or insults. God bless.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Transmits 5,156MW Electricity, Highest Ever – Official by Chukwuka16: 9:19am On Dec 15, 2017
Even with World Bank funding, delays pushed back on power projects in SA. The issue is that we have no analysis or technical report on the health of our transmission network in the public domain.

We need to know the state of our transmission lines (age, losses, sagging etc.). Then we need to know about our HV transformers at the various transmission stations (age, loading capacity etc.). Next is to have an idea of what each DISCO can receive and overall, we need an idea of the load consumption pattern of Nigerian households.

Unfortunately, most of our researches have not covered this sphere. If these data are available, simulations can be run to design a gradual scale up in terms of network upgrade. Without a concerted plan, gov't will only be running in circles which is what Fashola has been doing - chasing tails!

GavelSlam:

Re: Nigeria Transmits 5,156MW Electricity, Highest Ever – Official by Spidermon: 9:23am On Dec 15, 2017
omowolewa:
If we can buy our phones independently of Network providers, we should be able to buy meters independently of Discos.

We still need to generate more sha
Re: Nigeria Transmits 5,156MW Electricity, Highest Ever – Official by Acidosis(m): 9:24am On Dec 15, 2017
Lol

5156MW in a country of over 170 million is still Energy Poverty

Energy poverty is a lack of access to modern energy services. These services are defined as household access to electricity and clean cooking facilities (e.g. fuels and stoves that do not cause air pollution in houses).
Wiki

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Is The Electricity Situation In Your Area? / Sani Tells FG: Hasten Efforts Before Boko Haram Moves Students Across Border / Please Help Catch This Guy.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.