Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,770 members, 7,817,125 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:35 AM

Halima Buhari Called To Bar With No Hijab (Photos) - Politics (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Halima Buhari Called To Bar With No Hijab (Photos) (84203 Views)

Rebecca Sharibu: Buhari Called Me 7 Months After Leah's Abduction / Ogboru The APC Governorship Candidate Buhari Called 'APC Presidential Candidate' / #LazyNigerianYouths: "Halima Buhari Failed Bar Exams 3 Times" - Lawyer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Halima Buhari Called To Bar With No Hijab (Photos) by jamesibor: 12:29pm On Dec 16, 2017
BetaThings:

You should read your posts
Hen coming home..?

Are you dyslexic?

1 Like

Re: Halima Buhari Called To Bar With No Hijab (Photos) by dyydxx: 12:29pm On Dec 16, 2017
dvee2:

The case law versus Nigerian constitution?
Private corporation vs public institution?

A public institution that embraces religious neutrality across board is in complete compliance with our flawed current constitution that cartegorically bans state religion
Re: Halima Buhari Called To Bar With No Hijab (Photos) by nwakibie3(m): 12:36pm On Dec 16, 2017
Stalwert:
[s][/s]

Get out of my mention, you should be searching for your missing sewage rat ipob boss cownu instead of chanting Islam.

The truth pain ooo

2 Likes

Re: Halima Buhari Called To Bar With No Hijab (Photos) by Damibiz(m): 12:38pm On Dec 16, 2017
Nw i gat a story to tell otherz
SaintAlbert53:
Lol now you've seen bro
Re: Halima Buhari Called To Bar With No Hijab (Photos) by BetaThings: 12:51pm On Dec 16, 2017
dyydxx:

it has to get to the supreme court and the current constitution(1999) as amended prohibits a state religion, which means anything that has to do with the state(public schools for example) have the right to determine if they want to be religiously neutral across board. They will surely affirm those rights at the supreme court.

You don't seem to get my point
No State religion; No state obstruction of religion

dyydxx:
Muslims can wear hijabs if they want, that's there business but you can't wear it in my company if my companies policy is to be religiously neutral. I have a right to say I dont want any religious attire in my firm. it's not hard now, and that's me as an individual or company. How much more a state institution in a country where a state religion is banned?
Private company can discriminate
State institutions cannot because they will cause social tension

dyydxx:
The hijabi sistas and the religion that teaches that, that is the only way to be modest is the one that needs to broaden their minds
No an open mind recognises diversity in religion, culture, race/tribe
Why do you think people are criticising Trump for supporting white supremacists
If a Hijabi sister cannot tolerate a nun, then she needs to open her mind

dyydxx:
where it wherever it is permissible. it is not permissible everywhere, for reasons we have been debating.
A secular state allows people to worship
Give me a secular state that does not permit religion
Even America under Trump is promoting Christianity

dyydxx:
where it to your mosque now or maybe faith schools. In a truly secular states, hijabs ought to be banned in all public institutions and not hijabs but every other religious symbols including crosses and what have you
In a secular state, there is no reason to ban Hijab
People like you ought to be trained on diversity

dyydxx:
The country is not an islamic or christian country. it is a secular country with multi religious ethnicities.
Actually Christians need this message more
Muslims are not asking for unreasonable things

Look at this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYAV2V_5Hqo

1 Like

Re: Halima Buhari Called To Bar With No Hijab (Photos) by goldensmiles: 12:53pm On Dec 16, 2017
WHR dia is a law, dia is no sin...... cryWHR dia is a law, dia is no sin......
Re: Halima Buhari Called To Bar With No Hijab (Photos) by paragon40(m): 12:57pm On Dec 16, 2017
BetaThings:

I am a free born citizen of Nigeria, we will jointly make and obey the laws
You cannot push me out sir
Do I pay tax to Kenya government? No
If there is war would you ask me to go and fight for Kenya? No

By the way, Nigeria is a sovereign country that changed from driving on the left to the right

Sir you are out of point
you know you are a free born, then why copy kenya...why use them as an example... The last time I checked Islam is an imported religion, do u pay your tax to mecca?? We are English trained lawyers,every profession has its own ethics and rules, she knows the dressing of the profession if it is against your religion then stay at home..every rights has its own limitations no right is absolute, get that sinking..let her go to court, it is the same body of benchers that will hear and determine her case...
Re: Halima Buhari Called To Bar With No Hijab (Photos) by BetaThings: 12:58pm On Dec 16, 2017
slye:
People are so dumb. Useless thread!
How's buharis daughter the reason why somebody else cannot do what pleases her ?

Excellent point!

Christians have difference of opinion on Tithe
But Muslims cannot have difference of opinion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysqGCLltl80

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bausQsrgk8g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSKdQ-MjAJk

1 Like

Re: Halima Buhari Called To Bar With No Hijab (Photos) by tomycole: 1:01pm On Dec 16, 2017
And someone claims she can't remove her own.. in Nigeria we know the laws rules and regulations but we always put religion first. this Nigeria, if you not satisfy you can wait still the law is amended to prave way for your belief. God bless Nigeria
Re: Halima Buhari Called To Bar With No Hijab (Photos) by Iseddy: 1:04pm On Dec 16, 2017
This is what I called slay queen not those hungry beggars. I want to marry a lady of her caliber.
Re: Halima Buhari Called To Bar With No Hijab (Photos) by HaneefahRN(f): 1:05pm On Dec 16, 2017
Which useless rule?

May God bless and continue to strengthen Firdauos for challenging that rule. The question is how their using the hijab in line with their religion affect the calling to bar program?
That was how we were continually victimized in Nursing school before we eventually were able to use the hijab,which is our right.

2 Likes

Re: Halima Buhari Called To Bar With No Hijab (Photos) by BetaThings: 1:07pm On Dec 16, 2017
paragon40:
you know you are a free born, then why copy kenya...why use them as an example... The last time I checked Islam is an imported religion, do u pay your tax to mecca?? We are English trained lawyers,every profession has its own ethics and rules, she knows the dressing of the profession if it is against your religion then stay at home..every rights has its own limitations no right is absolute, get that sinking..let her go to court, it is the same body of benchers that will hear and determine her case...

How did I copy kenya?
I did not use them as an example. But you can ciet examples because we are all human beings
What has MAkkah got to do with this argument. You said soembody should go to Kenya and I said he is not going anywhere as a Nigerian
He stays here - he is not going to Makkah, Kenya, US
He pays tax in Nigeria and stays here
The rule is in need of change

The Body of Benchers are in for a shock

1 Like

Re: Halima Buhari Called To Bar With No Hijab (Photos) by whizzler: 1:12pm On Dec 16, 2017
vedd:

It is a well established fact that Buhari is an Islamic fundamentalist. And being the president of Nigeria (which is also very symbolic to his moslem brothers), his daughter could've had no problem wearing the islamic symbol on an occasion like this. More so if she couldn't do without it. But she chose to abide by the rule.

Life is not always about Islamic symbolism, hypocrisy and barbarism.

People like u are the problems we have in Nigeria. U turn things to suit ur imaginations. Thank God it was not Buhari's daughter who refused to remove the hijab. It would have for sure made ur front burner
Re: Halima Buhari Called To Bar With No Hijab (Photos) by Rubbiish(m): 1:18pm On Dec 16, 2017
ollah1:

The foolishness in most of you is that the church is you. You are the church. Are you mandated to pray ONLY in organized gatherings? Can't you pray while on the move? Can't you pray at work or anywhere? God says he is everywhere which means you should call on him anytime and anywhere. Your pastors won't tell you this because it's not related to tithe, first fruits, seed sowing and offering
U are a big fool!!!
Guess u will be happy if our soldiers & police keeps praying when they should be fighting armed men because they are christians & muslims...abi? idiot...
If at your age u don't know there is time for everything, as stated by the bible, then honestly i sorry for u...
I am a christian, i am to act christ like, i am not a church fool....Even christ himself instructed give to ceaser what belongs to ceaser...A good christian obeys the laws of the land as long as it doesn't insult God...
Re: Halima Buhari Called To Bar With No Hijab (Photos) by benuejosh: 1:27pm On Dec 16, 2017
Mccullum:

Even in Scotland they allowed their police women to use hijab while metropolitan in London also permit Muslim's women to use hijab and hijabite lawyers appeared in royal Supreme Court of UK to stands for cases, Sub-Saharan countries still glued on leftovers of their colonial masters by ignoring Human Rights the law stands for. Colo mentality block self sense of reasoning of Nigerian lawyers.
must we continue to copy them and remain like slaves to them? That is Europe and this is Africa. We're independent, as such we can set our laws and do as iy pleases Us. It's their choice to allow, permit and use hijab but we here don't want it. Simple. Abeg shift make i pass.
Re: Halima Buhari Called To Bar With No Hijab (Photos) by WORDSENSEI: 2:11pm On Dec 16, 2017
cocolacec:

Buhari’s daughter is not a role model for the muslims.Muslims follow the Quran and not Human beings.

Buhari's daughter could have used her father's position to go against the law and wear a hijab but she knows what's right from what's wrong.

The stupid girl has no case. The law is the law. There's nothing your stupid noises can do about it.

Before you come for me thinking I'm a Christian, know that I am irreligious. I am not you fools blinded by religion and I would never be part of what makes people have unfounded hatred for each other

You are all mad.

1 Like

Re: Halima Buhari Called To Bar With No Hijab (Photos) by Nobody: 2:11pm On Dec 16, 2017
Rubbiish:

U are a big fool!!!
Guess u will be happy if our soldiers & police keeps praying when they should be fighting armed men because they are christians & muslims...abi? idiot...
If at your age u don't know there is time for everything, as stated by the bible, then honestly i sorry for u...
I am a christian, i am to act christ like, i am not a church fool....Even christ himself instructed give to ceaser what belongs to ceaser...A good christian obeys the laws of the land as long as it doesn't insult God...

You wrote rubbish like your moniker says

1 Like

Re: Halima Buhari Called To Bar With No Hijab (Photos) by sissoko22(m): 2:18pm On Dec 16, 2017
ify2sladex:
These nairalanders sef. pls, is Buhari's daughter the pillar of Islam? Or what's your point exactly?
Quote me at your own peril o
I want to ask the same question.

2 Likes

Re: Halima Buhari Called To Bar With No Hijab (Photos) by Nobody: 2:19pm On Dec 16, 2017
Stalwert:
So every Muslim lady should copy her? The issue is a matter of rights, whatever culture the NBA created for itself cannot be used to supplant the rights of Muslim ladies who do not want to uncover their head.
Can whatever culture Islam created for itself be used to supplant the rights of the NBA who do not want hijabs?
Re: Halima Buhari Called To Bar With No Hijab (Photos) by Blissp99(f): 2:22pm On Dec 16, 2017
So of all things to bother us in Nigeria it's now the issue of hijab been worn when called 2 bar
How does dat reduce the price of Garri and other commodities in de market

Meanwhile... whatever is true, pure,lovely, honest, Good report
Think of this things shocked shocked shocked
Re: Halima Buhari Called To Bar With No Hijab (Photos) by yusufbida(m): 2:42pm On Dec 16, 2017
jamesibor:

That is Kenya, this is Nigeria. Until the rule is changed by the council of legal education, no hijab.

People can push for the rule to be changed but as it stands now, the woman is wrong.

That worry it has happened in US so shall it be in Nigeria.......

ON HIJAB, LAW SCHOOL & CALL TO BAR.

“Meanwhile sources at the ICC stated that before the ceremonies were to begin, all Muslims were respectfully asked to remove their hijabs prior to entering the hall. This request was complied with by all the Muslims present except Amasa Firdaus who vehemently refused to remove hers. In the process of her protests and despite entreaties made to her by other Muslims she was denied entry into the hall by the Body of Benchers. During the ceremony, a Respected former Chief Justice of Nigeria also met with Amasa Firdaus to convince her to remove her hijab but she did not heed the pleadings as she reiterated that even at gun point she would never remove her Hijab...” (Culled from a Nigerian Law Blog site)

Dear Amasa Firdaus, I want to address you. Please allow me share a brief story with you so that you may be inspired and remain resolute.

In 2015, my wife, a Soldier with the US Army, was told at the Army Annual Training at Fort Dix, New Jersey, United States �� that she either take off her Hijab or leave the Annual Training. My wife insisted that her Hijab is part of her and she will never remove it to please anyone or authority. Exactly like you reportedly insisted. Eventually, she was told to leave and she left the Annual Training. After the conclusion of the annual training, her Military unit said she cannot return....At another point, she was invited back to the drill and she went there with her Hijab � on her head. Again, she was told she cannot use her Hijab and she had to leave and she left. Away from the limelight she fought this vehemently by escalating the issue to the top echelon of the command. We prepared a memo to the authorities explaining why she should be allowed to use her Hijab �.

She was away for almost a year but eventually and in end, the Army Secretary under President Obama released a new regulation allowing the use of Hijab. It was a glorious moment. Her decision to remain undaunted paved the way for others who will come after her. Suddenly, the fight was worth it. All those period she had to cry became a thing of joy. We were elated that her resolve to remain undaunted finally paid off. Today, she proudly wears her Hijab on her uniform, attends her drill sessions and performs well. She’s a badass solider who’ll soon be commissioned as an officer and I’m so darn proud of her. Of course I also know you’ll make a fantastic addition to our profession. I have heard of your academic exploits and it is my belief that it will set you on your way to reach the top echelon of the profession.

That is my message to you today Firdaus. You have a made a huge sacrifice and I cannot begin to imagine how sad you feel that the profession you so much look forward to joining has asked you to choose between your faith and your call to bar. You must be so disappointed that Nigeria let you down. I bet you also feel that your Muslim colleagues who took off their Hijabs � when ordered to do so should have stood firm and maybe when they realise that none of you is willing to break rank, they’d have allowed you all to use your Hijab. I get the feeling of sadness. But don’t be. You’re a hero.

You have once again reignited the conversation that has been on for years. You have brought our attention to the way the Nigerian Law School and Council of Legal Education who are empowered to train new lawyers show flagrant disregard to your rights under S. 38 of the constitution. Your courage and sacrifice remind me of that of my wife. Your call to bar may have been delayed but in the end, Justice will prevail and it won’t be denied. Please, cheer up! The road ahead will be tough but Allah will strengthen and ease that burden for you.

To your friends and family, this is the time to rally round one of your own and give her all the support she needs. Her decision to fight this injustice is not stupid. Heroes are not always in uniform.

To my lawyer colleagues, once again, we have been called to task. How do we explain it that the Nigerian Law School & Council of Legal Education who are empowered to train new lawyers will themselves refuse to obey the judgments of the Court? Does that not worry us? As a Lawyer, I’m extremely disappointed. Several courts including the Court of Appeal in the case of Lagos State v Aisha Abdulkareem held that the use of Hijab � is a constitutional and fundamental right and no one can take it away. Also in Abidemi Rasaq & ors V. Commissioner for Health Lagos State suit no ID/424M/2004, the Lagos State High Court held that a circular issued by Lagos State School of Health Technology banning students from wearing Hijab � is unconstitutional. Similarly in the case of Provost Kwara State College of Education, Ilorin V. Basirat Saliu suit no CA/IL/49/2009, the learned Justices of the Court of Appeal held that the use of Hijab � by female Muslims qualifies as a fundamental right under Section 38 of the Constitution.

Despite all these decisions, the Nigerian Law School and by extension the Council of Legal Education continues to victimize Muslim Law Student who chose to cover their hair by threatening not to call them to Nigerian Bar. If the Nigerian Law School and the Council of Legal Education does not respect the decisions of a properly constituted Courts, including the Courts of Appeal, then what the hell are they teaching law students? Are we really going to debate this issue from our religious googles or be objective and err on the side of common sense and humanity?

To MULAN and other Muslim Senior Lawyers and Judges, I once read that the Elders have said that they needed just one person who’s willing to face the consequences and stand her ground to wear her Hijab and they will take it up. Now Amasa Firdaus has given herself up. Will you fail her?

To the members of National Assembly especially those representing the State and district Firdaus came from, are y’all going to fold your arms and let a Nigerian, a member of your constituency be punished unjustly for asserting her fundamental human rights as guaranteed under S.38 of the constitution?

The world is watching...
Let's test the constitution now
Re: Halima Buhari Called To Bar With No Hijab (Photos) by Theboss100(m): 2:43pm On Dec 16, 2017
ify2sladex:

Kindly check Quran 33:59
And I suppose you're a Christian, how about you refer to Corinthians 11:6? (It is clearly stated that your women should cover their hair)
Study your Bible first b4 putting your mouth in what you know nothing about!
They are only to cover there head in the presence of God Almighty not in the law court. Or is God now worshipped in the law court? Please stop been a hypocrite
Re: Halima Buhari Called To Bar With No Hijab (Photos) by debola27(f): 2:50pm On Dec 16, 2017
Elthugnificent:

Why so hostile? I never said I was against there wear, to be sincere I care less. The reason for the question is to prove that the hijab was never instructed in the Quran.

Re: Halima Buhari Called To Bar With No Hijab (Photos) by yusufbida(m): 2:57pm On Dec 16, 2017
Elthugnificent:
I believe you are a Muslim right? Can you show me where it is clearly Witten in the quoran that woman are to wear hijab?

Here is a prove from Qur'an which state Muslims woman should wear Hijab......

[33. Al-Ahzab, Verse 59]
O Prophet, tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to bring down over themselves [part] of their outer garments. That is more suitable that they will be known and not be abused. And ever is Allah Forgiving and Merciful.
[Translation - Sahih International]

Via Holy Quran by Quarter Pi
Re: Halima Buhari Called To Bar With No Hijab (Photos) by biacan(f): 3:09pm On Dec 16, 2017
[quote author=ify2sladex post=63324511]These nairalanders sef. pls, is Buhari's daughter the pillar of Islam? Or what's your point exactly?
Quote me at your own peril o accept the truth for your own good
Re: Halima Buhari Called To Bar With No Hijab (Photos) by Stalwert: 3:13pm On Dec 16, 2017
[s]
Ontarget:

Can whatever culture Islam created for itself be used to supplant the rights of the NBA who do not want hijabs?
[/s] comparing an association rights with a human being rights shows how low the value of human beings are to your value system
Re: Halima Buhari Called To Bar With No Hijab (Photos) by Rubbiish(m): 3:15pm On Dec 16, 2017
ollah1:

You wrote rubbish like your moniker says
Idiot!!!
Use the time meant for working for praying, let me see if God will work for u & put food in your mouth. Even pastors these days work part time, because Buhari is a muslim, he should be prayng when FEC meeting is going on because he is a mosque abi?

There is time for everything!!!! know that now....
Re: Halima Buhari Called To Bar With No Hijab (Photos) by StaffofOrayan(m): 3:20pm On Dec 16, 2017
I thought I was the only one that say the Kenyan muslim, 2 symbols of colonialism on 1 head cry cry, Africa don enter

NEIGHBOUR:

See ur life!!! Even the Kenyan ladies are looking abnormal.
Re: Halima Buhari Called To Bar With No Hijab (Photos) by Nobody: 3:21pm On Dec 16, 2017
Rubbiish:

Idiot!!!
Use the time meant for working for praying, let me see if God will work for u & put food in your mouth. Even pastors these days work part time, because Buhari is a muslim, he should be prayng when FEC meeting is going on because he is a mosque abi?

There is time for everything!!!! know that now....

That's to make you understand that religion is bullshit and it belongs to the times these folks existed. It doesn't in any way correspond with 21st century life

1 Like

Re: Halima Buhari Called To Bar With No Hijab (Photos) by Elthugnificent(m): 3:30pm On Dec 16, 2017
[quote author=debola27 post=63337136][/quote]
Kid yourself not, that's just a make believe translation that people have about the verse. #nothing like hijab
Re: Halima Buhari Called To Bar With No Hijab (Photos) by StaffofOrayan(m): 3:33pm On Dec 16, 2017
Getting a BASIC education is a right, advanced degrees are privileges,

Caseless:
grin grin

Se'un, dem don hack your moderator account.

Which privilege? What in life in the name of education is not a right but a privilege? And you took that line literally?

1 Like

Re: Halima Buhari Called To Bar With No Hijab (Photos) by Xisnin(m): 3:35pm On Dec 16, 2017
ify2sladex:

Kindly check Quran 33:59
And I suppose you're a Christian, how about you refer to Corinthians 11:6? (It is clearly stated that your women should cover their hair)
Study your Bible first b4 putting your mouth in what you know nothing about!

As expected, Corinthians to the rescue!
Why can't you guys stand alone without quoting the bible?
The challenge still stands, quote just one verse in the quran that mandates
hijab for women.

No Genesis or Revelation this time.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Buhari Cuts A Cake With Ojukwu During His 70th Birthday (Throwback Photo) / Photos: Nigerian Heads Of State From Independence Till Date (1960-2014) / Major K Yakubu Killed By Boko Haram After Faulty Vehicle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.