Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,737 members, 7,809,825 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:31 PM

Kayode Bello, The Lawless School, And The Hijab Cry - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Kayode Bello, The Lawless School, And The Hijab Cry (27808 Views)

What Did You Study In School And What Are You Doing Presently? Let's Discuss. / Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony / Nigerians React To The Hijab-Wearing Law Graduate Who Wasn't Called To Bar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kayode Bello, The Lawless School, And The Hijab Cry by khristal87(m): 8:43am On Dec 17, 2017
[quote author=Bari22 post=63354336]

Can u walk unclad in front of non-muslim women?[/quote
I think u re confused. Go back n read ur ist comment n be more logical.
Re: Kayode Bello, The Lawless School, And The Hijab Cry by maasoap(m): 8:43am On Dec 17, 2017
frankmoney:
if NBA says hijabs are not allowed then don't bring religious sentiments into it . Shikina
No, the Nigeria constitution supercedes the NBA's rules. Simple.
Re: Kayode Bello, The Lawless School, And The Hijab Cry by zakari247(m): 8:43am On Dec 17, 2017
TVTKOKO:
you don't say 'people'. You say Nigerians.,!
And why do you think we remain the way we are?
When you don't care the consequences of a particular action as long as it doesn't affect your religion?
Nigeria would remain backwards until it's people learn to leave their religion out of the way of sustainable development.
the very simple reason is because we have failed to embrace our diversity as a nation with cheap education we have acquire.
Re: Kayode Bello, The Lawless School, And The Hijab Cry by elhafeez(m): 8:43am On Dec 17, 2017
Mynd44:

The day you stop putting this as Islam Vs Law School, that is when you will be able to think objectively.

As long as you do not see it as a movement to totally review the laws of the school and totally remove the dresscode completely but for them to allow hijab, you will be dancing around in circles.
I am à Muslim. I shake hands with ladies. I have attend parties. some people call me party machine. i have drank smoke and done what islam said i shouldnt do. They call me social ustaz. I pray 5 times daily. i do things i like. someone trying to cover her hair is being abused. Am not putting this as islam over law school
What has the lady done. Technically she is not on Hijab because she would have put the Hijab on thé gown bib and suit. loo@melissasuzannehk at the lady carefully. she smartly covered her hair and ear. That is what only make her different from others. If you dont look closely you wouldnt even notice her.
She is smartly dressed and she looks decent. thats the most important thing.
Just last week i saw à lawyer on dreadlock in à south african supreme court. In britain or america lawyers dont even wear gown or wig. they dress smartly to court and do their job.
We are Just making à mountain out of à môle
Re: Kayode Bello, The Lawless School, And The Hijab Cry by Mynd44: 8:44am On Dec 17, 2017
maasoap:

Who are the sentimental people here, pro hijab or anti- hijab? Just asking because the two sides are sentimental here. And again, I'm pro hijab here, and I wasn't quiet on the issue of Kayode Bello. In fact, I was enraged just like many other Nigerians. Abeg, shift!
Lmaooooooo.

Why are you catching subs where none was given to you.

If you will fight, fight a total fight. Do not say you are pro Hijab in laws school cos it is hypocritical. If you want to fight, fight for the total removal of the dress code and changes in the activities of the law school because as long as the dress code stand, granting a pass for hijab will just be us pushing one person's agenda over everyone else.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kayode Bello, The Lawless School, And The Hijab Cry by Olabenjamen22(m): 8:44am On Dec 17, 2017
shams040:
All I knw is, she will win and Hijab wearing will be legalized.

Am sure if wig wearing was from Islam dey wld av tagged it as a means of Islamizing d nation.

just answer this simple question.

Is wig wearing relate to any religion? Or why are you people pain in the head.
Re: Kayode Bello, The Lawless School, And The Hijab Cry by maasoap(m): 8:45am On Dec 17, 2017
khristal87:
I think u re confused. Go back n read ur ist comment n be more logical.
He was telling you to understand that some things make sense while some don't. He was simply telling you to make sense with your arguments.
Re: Kayode Bello, The Lawless School, And The Hijab Cry by olarid01: 8:45am On Dec 17, 2017
musa234:
Even as a Muslim, I think she has herself to blame, she knew what the law school entails, their act, their mode of dressing and conduct, she just played herself, religion has done us more harm than good, no wonder we are so backwards in terms of development.

Believe me bro, if you talk Like this, Walai, you don't really know what Islam is. Please do take your ibadah more seriously and seek more knowledge about your religion so you don't keep making this kind of erroneous assertion.
Re: Kayode Bello, The Lawless School, And The Hijab Cry by Nobody: 8:46am On Dec 17, 2017
Bari22:
If going naked is your right, please understand that covering is the right of a Muslim woman.

Fact

Buhari's daughter is not a muslim too! FACT
Re: Kayode Bello, The Lawless School, And The Hijab Cry by Shafiiimran99: 8:48am On Dec 17, 2017
biacan:
No one is stop the Muslim woman from covering her body but she must respect the law
Who made the law?
Re: Kayode Bello, The Lawless School, And The Hijab Cry by JamesReacher(m): 8:48am On Dec 17, 2017
Quality20:
d write up is riddled with lots of personal emotions of d writer. Next time pls do a better one by keeping ur emotions and convictions in check
Show me any piece of writing like this that is emotionless. We treat emotions like a foreign concept.

4 Likes

Re: Kayode Bello, The Lawless School, And The Hijab Cry by Nobody: 8:48am On Dec 17, 2017
Mynd44:

I am in support of the total removal of the dress code. It is useless and pointless amd the entire law school needs a revamp.

But to allow hijab and leave the other silly laws is just crazy

They should allow crucifiex too and sango red attire.

ALAWADA!
Re: Kayode Bello, The Lawless School, And The Hijab Cry by zakari247(m): 8:49am On Dec 17, 2017
Bari22:
If going naked is your right, please understand that covering is the right of a Muslim woman.

Fact
thank you brother, they should all convince the Muslims the not wearing hijab it not a Christian thing. they want us to look just like they do but we refuse to wear their identity. thumbs up to Firdausi cuz after her case every other Muslim girl will proudly wear their identity without been discriminated by educated fools.

3 Likes

Re: Kayode Bello, The Lawless School, And The Hijab Cry by Aseneshii: 8:49am On Dec 17, 2017
The level of intolerance in this country is just amazing, Is it that small scarf they called hijab? How does that affect anyone , the wig she wore is even more visible than the hijab.
Re: Kayode Bello, The Lawless School, And The Hijab Cry by maasoap(m): 8:49am On Dec 17, 2017
Olabenjamen22:

just answer this simple question.

Is wig wearing relate to any religion? Or why are you people pain in the head.
Why must a Muslim girl remove her hijab before she can practise law in Nigeria? Is there anything offensive about it?
Re: Kayode Bello, The Lawless School, And The Hijab Cry by Mynd44: 8:49am On Dec 17, 2017
elhafeez:

I am à Muslim. I shake hands with ladies. I have attend parties. some people call me party machine. i have drank smoke and done what islam said i shouldnt do. They call me social ustaz. I pray 5 times daily. i do things i like. someone trying to cover her hair is being abused. Am not putting this as islam over law school
What has the lady done. Technically she is not on Hijab because she would have put the Hijab on thé gown bib and suit. loo@melissasuzannehk at the lady carefully. she smartly covered her hair and ear. That is what only make her different from others. If you dont look closely you wouldnt even notice her.
She is smartly dressed and she looks decent. thats the most important thing.
Just last week i saw à lawyer on dreadlock in à south african supreme court. In britain or america lawyers dont even wear gown or wig. they dress smartly to court and do their job.
We are Just making à mountain out of à môle

America, Britain, SA all have their own code of conducts. I can bet that you people that are shouting "look at America, look at Europe" will never accept the legalization of LGBTQ rights in Nigeria like they have yet you want to open a line of comparison based on your myopic point.

And allowing hijab is not making a mountain out of a mole hill, it is giving rights to one person over another. We should be saying "remove the dresscode completely" not "allow hijab" but of course we want to pursue personal interest

5 Likes

Re: Kayode Bello, The Lawless School, And The Hijab Cry by olarid01: 8:50am On Dec 17, 2017
biacan:
The president daughter was been called to bar and she removed her Hijab.....tell me is fidaus more religious than her.....or did the president daughter disrespect her religion....?

You see, that's where you people get it wrong. The fact that one Baba's child did it doesn't mean it is right, in fact it is completely and absolutely wrong. And if she can remove her Hijab because of one stupid "Call to bar" that wouldn't last for more than 4 decades(at most), then I fear for her.
Re: Kayode Bello, The Lawless School, And The Hijab Cry by Shafiiimran99: 8:51am On Dec 17, 2017
Mynd44:

The day you stop putting this as Islam Vs Law School, that is when you will be able to think objectively.

As long as you do not see it as a movement to totally review the laws of the school and totally remove the dresscode completely but for them to allow hijab, you will be dancing around in circles.
I don't blame you but our hypocrites brothers in gov
Re: Kayode Bello, The Lawless School, And The Hijab Cry by Beosten(m): 8:51am On Dec 17, 2017
Bari22:

Fact

Your Muslim idiot shouldn't have studied law in Nigeria.
Fact & figures!
Re: Kayode Bello, The Lawless School, And The Hijab Cry by Mynd44: 8:51am On Dec 17, 2017
Shafiiimran99:
Who made the law?
Who nade the law for her to wear hijab? undecided

2 Likes

Re: Kayode Bello, The Lawless School, And The Hijab Cry by Mynd44: 8:51am On Dec 17, 2017
Rogosa:

They should allow crucifiex too and sango red attire.

ALAWADA!

Well, since we all want to be progressive and respect diversity

1 Like

Re: Kayode Bello, The Lawless School, And The Hijab Cry by Mynd44: 8:52am On Dec 17, 2017
Aseneshii:
The level of intolerance in this country is just amazing, Is it that small scarf they called hijab? How does that affect anyone , the wig she wore is even more visible than the hijab.
Intolerance against who? Choose your answer carefully
Re: Kayode Bello, The Lawless School, And The Hijab Cry by NeeKlaus: 8:54am On Dec 17, 2017
Bari22:

You don't have that power, Christians can move unclad as u used to do. But you can't dictate to us, we have power and we will use it wisely
Power? What power? The one where you bomb innocent people? Cause I know that's your modus operandi.

Nigeria is not a Muslim state, it's not a Christian state. It is a secular state.

How can somebody claim to have a studied the Law for 6 years and on the very last day, she breaks that same Law? Whether you like it or not, what the law school says is their law remains their law.

If it doesn't suit you, go to Saudi Arabia and get called to bar. You are just advocating for your Muslim sister alone. What about Reverend Sisters that are meant to cover their body too but they still obey the Laws of the school, how are they different?

Shift, please.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kayode Bello, The Lawless School, And The Hijab Cry by khristal87(m): 8:56am On Dec 17, 2017
maasoap:

He was telling you to understand that some things make sense while some don't. He was simply telling you to make sense with your arguments.

U two re the ones not making sense. Does d court allow anybody walk in unclad? If u re nt logical or intelligent dnt try arguing with me
Re: Kayode Bello, The Lawless School, And The Hijab Cry by JamesReacher(m): 8:56am On Dec 17, 2017
olarid01:

Believe bro, if you talk Like this, Walai, you don't really know what Islam is. Please do take your ibadah more seriously and seek more knowledge about your religion so you don't keep making this kind of erroneous assertion.
I need an answer for this. What happens to the other Muslim ladies who removed their hijab for the ceremony?

2 Likes

Re: Kayode Bello, The Lawless School, And The Hijab Cry by eyinjuege: 8:57am On Dec 17, 2017
Mynd44:

I am in support of the total removal of the dress code. It is useless and pointless amd the entire law school needs a revamp.

I agree with you.
Remove the dress code.
Let the nuns, the hijabites, the jews and others be free to express themselves. Provided they're dressed neatly and smartly.

1 Like

Re: Kayode Bello, The Lawless School, And The Hijab Cry by onegig(m): 8:57am On Dec 17, 2017
biacan:
The president daughter was been called to bar and she removed her Hijab.....tell me is fidaus more religious than her.....or did the president daughter disrespect her religion....?

When did the President's daughter become a yardstick for measuring religiousness?

And what has the personal views of his daughter got to do with this? She choose to remove it. That's her perogative. That another believes it goes against her rights as a Nigerian is another. When did the law become a thing of herd mentality?

1 Like

Re: Kayode Bello, The Lawless School, And The Hijab Cry by zakari247(m): 8:58am On Dec 17, 2017
frankmoney:
we are in a secular state not an Islamic state , so she has no right
what exactly does secularity means? it simply show your ignorance hear. but let me educate you boy, by secularity, it means given all a fair chance no matter their ideology. ask the westerns who own the word cuz I'm pretty sure it not an African word.

1 Like

Re: Kayode Bello, The Lawless School, And The Hijab Cry by Mynd44: 8:58am On Dec 17, 2017
eyinjuege:

I agree with you.
Remove the dress code.
Let the nuns, the hijabites, the jews and othera be free to express themselves. Provided they're dressed neatly and smartly.

Now we are making sense and progress.
Re: Kayode Bello, The Lawless School, And The Hijab Cry by Nobody: 8:58am On Dec 17, 2017
onegig:
This writer seems silly. Every dick and harry calling themselves activists when all they do is write dumb articles without understanding the basic tenents of what activism is all about. Where was he when Kayode was been bullied by the law school?

He even looked comical stating that celestial church members should be allowed to not wear shoes for the call to bar. That is like comparing oranges to apples. Which exposes his lack of understanding of the issue. The hijab is an everyday wear for a Muslim woman and is to be adorned "everytime and everywhere" and not a ceremonial "I am going to my place of worship" once in a week thing. That is a huge difference. At least before you write an article get your basic facts right.

As regards the Firduas issue.

This should not be seen as a religious call but more of basic rights of a Nigerian. The Constitution which supercedes any useless laws/codes of the Law school geants the right to practice of religion in public and private without hindrance or fear to all citizens.

And by the way at what point would we stop dictating what people wear or not wear?

Women were not allowed to wear trousers in the US Congress not until 1963.

Women are not allowed to vote in most countries until recently.

Even till today women are not allowed to own properties in some places.

Women are not allowed to drive until recently in many countries and till now women are dictated to whether they should cover their hair or not for a 2 hour call to bar ceremony. Like wtf.

Of what Importance is the wig? Even the UK that we got it from is discarding that clownish thing and here we are carrying it on our head like a bag of kulikuli.

Set what ever uniform you want to set but people are allowed freedom to do whatever they want with other apparels same way you have graduation gowns and people wear whatever they want underneath it. Maybe when we start understanding what diversity means we would learn not to Lord over people who are different from us and dissipate more energy on simple things that just a mere application of commonsense would sort out.

I am sure she would sue them and I can bet 100% she would win it. Except the law school can prove they are not infringing on her universal rights to practice her religion.

If the main writer of this article is silly as presumed, then you are 'sillier'!
As a muslim, can u pray wearing your shoe? or can you enter the place of prayer wearing your shoe?
My point is, we have code of conduct, rules and regulations. That is what you fail to understand. It is not part of the ethic to wear hijab for the ceremony. Does it make Buhari's daughter an infidel? Does it make her mate (from her school) an unbeliever?

I will take your bet! But I pray she win too.

For the record, Oranges and apples are fruit ooo

3 Likes

Re: Kayode Bello, The Lawless School, And The Hijab Cry by JamesReacher(m): 8:59am On Dec 17, 2017
maasoap:

Why must a Muslim girl remove her hijab before she can practise law in Nigeria? Is there anything offensive about it?
Law is neutral. What comes to my mind when i see a lawyer wearing hijab is my mind tells me she won't be a good lawyer because lawyers side their client even if he killed someone which her religion would forbid. She would be selective in picking jobs that's if she gets any.

2 Likes

Re: Kayode Bello, The Lawless School, And The Hijab Cry by Nobody: 8:59am On Dec 17, 2017
Mynd44:

please push this to FP

https://www.nairaland.com/4237973/hijab-controversy-affected-law-graduate/1#63354971

what dress code?

http://thenigerialawyer.com/the-constitutionality-of-lawyers-dress-code-in-nigeria/

in Nigeria, the Rule of Professional Conduct for the legal profession Rule 6(b) provides;

While the court is in session, a lawyer should not assume an undignified posture, and should not, without the judge’s permission, remove his wig and gown in the courtroom. He should always be attired in a proper and dignified manner, and abstain from apparel or ornament calculated to attract attention to himself.

From the clear wordings of the above Rules of Professional Conduct, it is clear that no particular dress code was specified by the Rules. The Rules appear to have been lifted in Toto from the Code of Conduct of England and Wales which never spelt out what a Barrister’s dress code should be; it only stated “Respectable dress”.

The Nigeria Council of Legal Education on its establishment has tried to spell out in clear terms, what the dress code of lawyers should be like. The Nigeria Law School Code of Conduct Rule 29(a) provides:

He should be well-dressed at all times. The regulation on dress for male students is dark suits, white shirts, black ties (not bow tie), black socks and black shoes with white breast pocket, handkerchiefs, and striped black trousers may be worn under dark jackets Rule 2(b) of the said Code of Conduct further stipulated the dressing code for females as: For female students, white blouse, dark jacket and black skirts, covering knees (dark suit) or dark ladies and black shoes are to be worn. There should be no embroidery and trimmings of any type, and only moderate jewellery.

A look at the rule of professional conduct for legal practitioner (The Rules) 2007 will show rule 36 stipulates that:
(1) Except with the permission of the Court, a lawyer appearing before a High Court, the Court of Appeal or the Supreme Court shall do so in his robes.
(2) A lawyer shall not wear the Barrister’s or Senior Advocate’s robe —–
(a) on any occasion other than in Court except as may be directed or permitted by the bar Council; or
(b) When conducting his own case as party to a legal proceeding in Court; or
(c) When giving evidence in a legal proceeding in Court.

The Nigerian Law School Code of Conduct, further stated in Rule 2(b), that at all law dinners, students must be punctual, and be in regulation dress; it further stated that at call to bar ceremonies, qualified students must wear regulation dress and also the Wig, Winged collar and Bids or Collarette and Barristers’ Gown. Finally, the rule concluded by stating that the above mode of dressing is mandatory for both male and female, while at the law school and other extra curricula activities, and when called to the Bar, and attendance at magistrate and all superior courts.

From all indications, it is clear that the above cited Code of Conduct of the Nigerian Law School legally institutionalized the use of dress code in the legal profession in Nigeria.
There was an instance where a judge refused to hear out a female lawyer because she was putting on a bright coloured blouse under her gown. Does this denial of appearance not amount to a infringement of her client’s right to fair hearing?

It is noteworthy that the Nigerian Law School Code of Conduct did not stipulate any punishment for non conformity with the Code.

Firstly, it should be noted, right away, that in England wig and gown are still being retained because they distinguish a barrister from a solicitor; the former is entitled to appear in court fully robed while a solicitor does not enjoy such privilege. Secondly, the protagonists of the retention of wig and gown in England also argue that it suits the climatic condition of England and Wales. Thirdly, they argue that it confers dignity and solemnity on court proceedings. Fourthly, wigs according to them lend anonymity in highly charged criminal cases.

Finally, they claim that it obscures the differences of age and gender, and consequently serves as equalizer in a profession dominated by men.

In Nigeria, the first and second reasons do not apply because every legal practitioner, by virtue of being called to the Bar, is an advocate and solicitor of Supreme Court of Nigeria.

Therefore, here in Nigeria, the need for the wig and gown to distinguish the ‘barrister’ from ‘solicitor’ does not arise. Secondly, the climatic condition in Nigeria does not need to be further compounded with English dress code and its other paraphernalia. It is interesting to note that already in England, there have been several moves in the past to do away with the lawyer’s wig and gown.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

7 Small Things You Should Do To Be Successful / What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? / Cleaner At Lagos Airport Who Returned Money 4 Times Complains Of No Rewards

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.