Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,837 members, 7,820,917 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:56 AM

Why Do Programmers Still Look For Job? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Why Do Programmers Still Look For Job? (3633 Views)

Why Do Programmers Always Look Down On Wordpress Expert? / Why Do Programmers Run Away From Java? / Do Programmers In Other States Outside Lagos Make It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Programmers Still Look For Job? by shams040(m): 5:16pm On Dec 17, 2017
Have always tnk once I am very Good at programming and can code and develop any tyn all I need to is getting ppl requesting me to develop for them. Bt today I see programmers looking for job. Is something wrong or am I the one who is wrong?
Re: Why Do Programmers Still Look For Job? by Sleekydee(m): 5:44pm On Dec 17, 2017
Bros can u code or program Benjamins

1 Like

Re: Why Do Programmers Still Look For Job? by kajoula(m): 5:54pm On Dec 17, 2017
Welcome to reality
Re: Why Do Programmers Still Look For Job? by Kingdolo(m): 8:19pm On Dec 17, 2017
There's quite a lot of independent programmers in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Programmers Still Look For Job? by michaelwilli(m): 10:38am On Dec 18, 2017
Because business isnt for everybody
Re: Why Do Programmers Still Look For Job? by talk2hb1(m): 11:37am On Dec 18, 2017
If You are a Competent freelancE Programmer, Contact me for project
Re: Why Do Programmers Still Look For Job? by talk2hb1(m): 11:39am On Dec 18, 2017
If You are a Competent freelancE Programmer, Contact me for project.
Re: Why Do Programmers Still Look For Job? by Nobody: 12:04pm On Dec 18, 2017
That's the reality...
Re: Why Do Programmers Still Look For Job? by michaelwilli(m): 12:47pm On Dec 18, 2017
not everyone can do things on their own or even want to
Re: Why Do Programmers Still Look For Job? by uthmanbakar: 9:15pm On Dec 18, 2017
talk2hb1:
If You are a Competent freelancE Programmer, Contact me for project.

Interested & competent freelancer here. what's the best way to contact you?
Re: Why Do Programmers Still Look For Job? by jerflakes(m): 3:41am On Dec 19, 2017
Nigerians have this "employment" mentality

Even where they're supposed to be self employed, they still need employment

7 Likes

Re: Why Do Programmers Still Look For Job? by talk2hb1(m): 10:35am On Dec 19, 2017
uthmanbakar:

Interested & competent freelancer here. what's the best way to contact you?
Please Note Lagos Based Developer Alone 080xxxxxxx

1 Like

Re: Why Do Programmers Still Look For Job? by Thecarisma(m): 11:17pm On Jan 27, 2018
the simple reality is that all that matters is innovation and ideas.
Most developers in nigeria have great ideas but dream of working with great companies instead of creating one themselves a simple worldwide accepted project is enough to land a programmer a great reput

1 Like

Re: Why Do Programmers Still Look For Job? by Faraidi(m): 3:02pm On Feb 20, 2018
shams040:
Have always tnk once I am very Good at programming and can code and develop any tyn all I need to is getting ppl requesting me to develop for them. Bt today I see programmers looking for job. Is something wrong or am I the one who is wrong?
so, you mean you can design websites?
Re: Why Do Programmers Still Look For Job? by ClintonNzedimma(m): 2:22pm On Feb 21, 2018
Faraidi:
so, you mean you can design websites?
you need a website?
Re: Why Do Programmers Still Look For Job? by tfrancis(m): 12:25pm On Feb 23, 2018
talk2hb1:
If You are a Competent freelancE Programmer, Contact me for project

Am a competent php programmer. I can develop anything.

Give me your job to do.

Call/WhatsApp: 07060624802, 08119996059
Re: Why Do Programmers Still Look For Job? by asalimpo(m): 1:24am On Jan 20, 2019
researching creating and marketing a product can b very expensive,both time nd moneywise. Many programmers may not hav the upfront capital to undertake such an endeavour. Also it can b very risky . Do u still here of companies like- linkserve,abg? How about yahoo chat? How many ppl r using yahoo mail? With rent food nd a family to fend for a nice stable job could be way more attractive than striking out on ur own
Re: Why Do Programmers Still Look For Job? by Michael820(m): 3:50am On Jan 21, 2019
Cause you are not good enough or not networking well.
And no programmer does it all, so you have to specify what field you want to work in, not “ I can code anytin” as you put it.

And there are a lot opportunities out there, lot of tech companies in Lagos, write to them, let them know your skills set and if you are good you will surely get an internship or a job offer.

Then there is freelancing and andela.
Ps
I have never met a good programmer who’s jobless, I have never seen one

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Programmers Still Look For Job? by afonja112: 10:19am On Jan 21, 2019
Many of these so-called independent programmers dont know how to show-case their talents. This is why the people should pay them money do not even know they exist.
Most of the jobs that should come their way go all the way to INDIAN developers.
Re: Why Do Programmers Still Look For Job? by asalimpo(m): 3:54pm On Jan 21, 2019
Michael820:
And no programmer does it all, so you have to specify what field you want to work in, not “ I can code anytin” as you put it.

And there are a lot opportunities out there, lot of tech companies in Lagos, write to them, let them know your skills set and if you are good you will surely get an internship or a job offer.

Ps
that word in bold is SUBJECTIVE. Some who think they are "good" would be evaluated as subpar by some interviewers and vice versa.
Re: Why Do Programmers Still Look For Job? by asalimpo(m): 3:56pm On Jan 21, 2019
Michael820:

Ps
that word in bold is SUBJECTIVE. Some who think they are "good" would be evaluated as subpar by some interviewers and vice versa.
Some subpar programmers are actually handling good jobs while writing poor code that a better coder will hav to come fix in d future.
Re: Why Do Programmers Still Look For Job? by Michael820(m): 7:31pm On Jan 21, 2019
asalimpo:

Some subpar programmers are actually handling good jobs while writing poor code that a better coder will hav to come fix in d future.

First of all I talk about networking, so if you are good get out there and announce it.

And about rating by interviewers, there are standard to this things, baba if you are Good you are good. And if one interviewer fails to see that there are thousands of developer jobs out there. Build a badass portfolio website show it on Twitter, write technical blogs post. Go to meetups, shoot your shot on LinkedIn

And let’s see if you won’t land a Good job in weeks
Or you can keep shouting there is no job.

on dev center slack channel alone you will get up to 5 gig alert per day. Not talk of angel list, Glassdoor job alerts, stackoverflow jobs

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Programmers Still Look For Job? by Nobody: 8:41am On Jan 22, 2019
Michael820:

First of all I talk about networking, so if you are good get out there and announce it.

And about rating by interviewers, there are standard to this things, baba if you are Good you are good. And if one interviewer fails to see that there are thousands of developer jobs out there. Build a badass portfolio website show it on Twitter, write technical blogs post. Go to meetups, shoot your shot on LinkedIn

And let’s see if you won’t land a Good job in weeks
Or you can keep shouting there is no job.

on dev center slack channel alone you will get up to 5 gig alert per day. Not talk of angel list, Glassdoor job alerts, stackoverflow jobs

My brother you head dey there...

I keep seeing lots of jobs in those site, some are even based in Europe with visa sponsorship.

If one is good and can market himself well there are jobs.

I am working towards that.
Re: Why Do Programmers Still Look For Job? by vezycash(m): 8:02pm On Jan 22, 2019
Re: Why Do Programmers Still Look For Job? by vezycash(m): 8:14pm On Jan 22, 2019
Marketing / branding is a different skill from programming.

The same traits possessed by most good programmers - aloofness, geekiness, crowd avoidance, attention to details... are at odds with attention seeking personality of successful networkers.

Compilers are immune to bullshit, deceit and lies. It trains programmers to be super logical, factual, detail oriented... The best sales guys I know constantly stretch facts to achieve their aims. Geeks just throw around technical jargon and wonder why people are confused.

The good news is that sales, branding, networking and marketing are all learnable skills.

As for creating startups - don't listen to anyone who tries to bully you into creating a startup. Your choosing to have a job has no correlation with your skills level. If this was true, then Rob pike, Ken Thompson, Robert Griesemer, Christopher Poole, Andrew Morton, Vadim Gerasimov, Junio Hamano - all computing legends wouldn't work for Google. See: https://www.quora.com/Who-are-some-famous-people-that-work-at-Google

Those claiming otherwise are simply, "Do what I say, not as I do kind of people."

1 Like

Re: Why Do Programmers Still Look For Job? by asalimpo(m): 10:54am On Jan 23, 2019
vezycash:
Marketing / branding is a different skill from programming.

The same traits possessed by most good programmers - aloofness, geekiness, crowd avoidance, attention to details... are at odds with attention seeking personality of successful networkers.

Compilers are immune to bullshit, deceit and lies. It trains programmers to be super logical, factual, detail oriented... The best sales guys I know constantly stretch facts to achieve their aims. Geeks just throw around technical jargon and wonder why people are confused.

The good news is that sales, branding, networking and marketing are all learnable skills.

As for creating startups - don't listen to anyone who tries to bully you into creating a startup. Your choosing to have a job has no correlation with your skills level. If this was true, then Rob pike, Ken Thompson, Robert Griesemer, Christopher Poole, Andrew Morton, Vadim Gerasimov, Junio Hamano - all computing legends wouldn't work for Google. See: https://www.quora.com/Who-are-some-famous-people-that-work-at-Google

Those claiming otherwise are simply, "Do what I say, not as I do kind of people."
Very on point. Some ppl just want stable,reliable income without d hassles of running a business with all it's attendant stress nd risks.

Mayb mktng whizzes cud handle d mktng while programmers wrestle with coding. Both win

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Connecting Basic4android And Sqlite Database / Database For My Workplace / Why Do Seun Dont Like Php And Mysql Programmers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.