Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,113 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:11 AM

Should I Change My Surname, Please I Need Your Advice. - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should I Change My Surname, Please I Need Your Advice. (6991 Views)

I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? / I Want To Change My Surname To My Mother's Name. Pls Help!! / Man Changes His Surname To His Mother’s Name (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Change My Surname, Please I Need Your Advice. by Phut(f): 7:43pm On Dec 20, 2017
Dremca:
Is good to know you love your surname maybe because of the way it sound or the meaning but I pay more attention to meaning. There are funny Igbo names I can't give my children. Name like "Azuka" (back/backwardness is greater). It may sound nice to many but the meaning is awful. Same applies to names of other tribes.
It’s a shame that you are intentionally misinterpreting Igbo names. Azuka never meant and will never mean that backwardness is greater. Azu in Azuka means the past. Azuka means the Past/History is great (and accordingly should be given great reverence). It’s almost like saying that you have to know your past to appreciate your present.
We are great because of our ancestors that came before us, from the 2nd to the 10th generation and beyond. A r. Let me ask you this? Do you think your ancestors are in hellfire? And do you think you are so much better than them and all that they represent (because a Whitman came with a new religion and told you so?)

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Should I Change My Surname, Please I Need Your Advice. by Phut(f): 7:47pm On Dec 20, 2017
Christianity and Islam were used as a tool of imperialistic expansionism and we can see the result here.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Change My Surname, Please I Need Your Advice. by Tochex101(m): 10:54pm On Dec 20, 2017
Phut:
Christianity and Islam were used as a tool of imperialistic expansionism and we can see the result here.
Your message is beautiful, cyrstal and clear. Onye nwere nti ya nuru........#those who have ears let them hear.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Change My Surname, Please I Need Your Advice. by Chommieblaq(f): 10:56pm On Dec 20, 2017
Phut:

It’s a shame that you are intentionally misinterpreting Igbo names. Azuka never meant and will never mean that backwardness is greater. Azu in Azuka means the past. Azuka means the Past/History is great (and accordingly should be given great reverence). It’s almost like saying that you have to know your past to appreciate your present.
We are great because of our ancestors that came before us, from the 2nd to the 10th generation and beyond. A r. Let me ask you this? Do you think your ancestors are in hellfire? And do you think you are so much better than them and all that they represent (because a Whitman came with a new religion and told you so?)

Thanks Sis, you nailed it with your post.

Don't lose your identity because one foreign name, you don't even know the origin.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Change My Surname, Please I Need Your Advice. by Dremca(m): 11:39pm On Dec 20, 2017
Phut:

I so much appreciate all your comments and I glad if you can tell me more about the origin of the name "Nweke" and deep meaning if you have any idea.
Re: Should I Change My Surname, Please I Need Your Advice. by Dremca(m): 11:45pm On Dec 20, 2017
Phut:
But I don't think you're a traditional worship as a way of not accepting the white men imperialism and also to preserve what our fore-fathers left behind. Having said that, do you think still having at least one native names in my name will make me loose sight of where am coming from, does it make much difference. I look forward to your kind response. I really appreciate.
Re: Should I Change My Surname, Please I Need Your Advice. by Dremca(m): 11:48pm On Dec 20, 2017
Chommieblaq:

Thanks Sis, you nailed it with your post.

Don't lose your identity because one foreign name, you don't even know the origin.
Thanks for your input. Do you think having a native name in my names will make me loose my identity.
Re: Should I Change My Surname, Please I Need Your Advice. by Dremca(m): 11:51pm On Dec 20, 2017
Tochex101:

Your message is beautiful, cyrstal and clear. Onye nwere nti ya nuru........#those who have ears let them hear.
Thanks for your input, I will still appreciate if you any information about the origin and the deep meaning of the name "Nweke "
Re: Should I Change My Surname, Please I Need Your Advice. by Dremca(m): 11:56pm On Dec 20, 2017
Phut:

Nweke is an absolutely beautiful name and you should not change it. It means child born of Eke day. If igbo’a had no concept of time and did not count the days, it would have been used against them as a sign of incivility. And here you are working over time to denigrate said culture. Just like Ghanaians name their child after days of the week: Kwame, Kojo, Akosua etc, is the same things Igbo’s do.
Nweke can never mean child of a python. Igbo names are not literal so trying to give them a literal translation is a deliberate miseducation of the masses. Also Igbo language is tonal. One word can mean several things depending on the tone in which it is said. A good example is, Akwa. So when we know what a name means metaphorically or in the context in which it was used, it is disingenuous to swap it out for similarly spelt but tonally different words.
When the colonialists came, one of the ways in which the suppressed our culture was by insisting that people be baptized with English or Latin names. The colonialists have physically left our shores but some of us are so brainwashed that we willing carry out the masters work with gusto and try to be more Western than the westerners.
What does Lawrence mean? Man from Laurent? And how is this a better meaning than Nweke?
If you are going to change your last name, change it to another traditional Igbo name. There are plenty of good Igbo names. If you choose an English name, it would be very clear what you are doing. In one or two generations (tops) your descendants through your doing, will probably be bearing English first and late names, and the Conquest would be complete!
When you live abroad and see people that have been stripped of their heritage, past and history and how bereft and rudderless they feel, it becomes all the sadder when you see Nigerians willing throw their away, for no good reason
I've really learnt one or two things here. Can you suggest a native name that relate to "Nweke" with a deep clear meaning.
Re: Should I Change My Surname, Please I Need Your Advice. by Phut(f): 12:30am On Dec 21, 2017
Dremca:
I've really learnt one or two things here. Can you suggest a native name that relate to "Nweke" with a deep clear meaning.

Hmm ... do you not speak or understand Igbo? Why then do you need me (a stranger) to pick a name for you?

Let me tell you a little story, There is a female relative of mine that did not teach her children a lick of Igbo. I spoke to her about this on several occasions, over an extended period of time. She continued the same thing. Then one day she sees me and says I should be teaching her son Igbo. I just gave her the side eye. Why should I teach him when I see him maybe once a month, for at most, an hour at a time? While she lives with him 24/7 and knows how to speak Igbo? As passionate as I was about the whole matter, I just had to let it be. People, show there ambivalence or their I don’t care attitude in different ways. And I think this your response/request is veering a little toward that.

Anyway, I will give a bit of the benefit of the doubt. Our names are an expression of ourselves, hopes, aspirations etc. Whenever you speak your name, you should be speaking life and blessings onto yourself. Tell me what speaks to you as a person, and I will give you the nearest equivalent in Igbo.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Change My Surname, Please I Need Your Advice. by Phut(f): 12:43am On Dec 21, 2017
Dremca:
Thanks for your input. Do you think having a native name in my names will make me loose my identity.
Yes having an English last name will contribute to you and your future generations losing you identity. You are voluntarily, watering yourself down. You previously said you have an Igbo name (which maybe your middle name for all I know. So you definitely have an English name (possibly your first name) and now you want an English last name as well? Biko, chegharia. Have a rethink and retrace your steps. All your names (first and last) should be in your native language. If your parents gave you an English first name, you should try to remedy that in your children as opposed to making it worse (giving them an English last names).

Between the First and Middle name, the first name takes predominance. So those Nigerians that move their native name to the status of a middle name, are just deceiving themselves. Of all the names, the last name is most tied to your heritage. Changing it to an English name bu aru (abomination). Did you know that when the slaves where brought to the America’s they were forcefully stripped of their name and their last name was made to denote whose slave they were? If you see a black American family with the last name of O’Neill, their slave owner was most likely Irish. Manigault = French. O’Malley = Irish. Stewart/Stuart = German.
There wa physical slavery and now there is mental slavery. Break free.

Biko, chegharia!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Change My Surname, Please I Need Your Advice. by Phut(f): 3:30am On Dec 21, 2017
Dremca:
But I don't think you're a traditional worship as a way of not accepting the white men imperialism and also to preserve what our fore-fathers left behind. Having said that, do you think still having at least one native names in my name will make me loose sight of where am coming from, does it make much difference. I look forward to your kind response. I really appreciate.

I believe in God. I am not a Christian although I was born one.
When I was a child, I was told about my great grand parents and those that came before them and how great they were. I was also taught about Christianity and how Jesus was the way the truth and the light and how no one can get to the Father except through him. One of the thoughts that crossed my young mind was, are they in hell? How can God the father let such good people go to hell? Yes, I was an inquisitive one and still am to this day.
Religion has been around forever. Man has always pondered about the meaning of life and if there is a higher power. And what I can tell you is that through the aeons, they have gotten some of the answers right. Some of these religions are older than and predate Christianity. Christianity copies quite a bit from Ancient Egyptian religion and Islam obviously copied a lot from Christianity. Now these religions were spread by convincing, warring against and subduing others into agree that theirs was only one way to God. They also used this for their imperialistic expansion, hence the wholesale attempt to destroy cultures, while imposing their own.
Some famous person said of the colonialist: when the came they had the Bible and we had the land. But when they left we had the Bible and they had the land.

That is why you see Nigerians being overzealous proponents of Christianity. As Chinua Achebe said, we are like people who go to a funeral and cry louder than the bereaved.

Now, even among the different Christian sects in Nigeria, you see the subtle warring for supremacy. Well, I believe God is bigger than this and that all that inter and intra wrangling for superiority, is man’s base nature shining through. While our ancestors got something’s wrong (as did Ancient Christians) they also got something’s right as it relates to God and the universe. So to conclude, I am a spiritual being striving toward a better understanding of God (and not necessarily under the aegis of Christianity).

4 Likes

Re: Should I Change My Surname, Please I Need Your Advice. by Dremca(m): 2:02pm On Dec 21, 2017
Phut:

Yes having an English last name will contribute to you and your future generations losing you identity. You are voluntarily, watering yourself down. You previously said you have an Igbo name (which maybe your middle name for all I know. So you definitely have an English name (possibly your first name) and now you want an English last name as well? Biko, chegharia. Have a rethink and retrace your steps. All your names (first and last) should be in your native language. If your parents gave you an English first name, you should try to remedy that in your children as opposed to making it worse (giving them an English last names).

Between the First and Middle name, the first name takes predominance. So those Nigerians that move their native name to the status of a middle name, are just deceiving themselves. Of all the names, the last name is most tied to your heritage. Changing it to an English name bu aru (abomination). Did you know that when the slaves where brought to the America’s they were forcefully stripped of their name and their last name was made to denote whose slave they were? If you see a black American family with the last name of O’Neill, their slave owner was most likely Irish. Manigault = French. O’Malley = Irish. Stewart/Stuart = German.
There wa physical slavery and now there is mental slavery. Break free.

Biko, chegharia!
Wow. Thanks for this insight. You're very correct with my first name as english, middle name as native and wanting to make my surname english. What if I convert my middle name which is native to become my surname, then I'll be having only two names: first name to be english and surname to be native, no middle name. I really don't have problem with a bearing a native surname but the meaning of the "Nweke" which to doesn't have any origin and deep meaning aside "Nwoke amuri ubochi eke." Can I do without a middle name. Thanks so much, I'm very much grateful for your responses.
Re: Should I Change My Surname, Please I Need Your Advice. by Phut(f): 3:40pm On Dec 21, 2017
Dremca:
Wow. Thanks for this insight. You're very correct with my first name as english, middle name as native and wanting to make my surname english. What if I convert my middle name which is native to become my surname, then I'll be having only two names: first name to be english and surname to be native, no middle name. I really don't have problem with a bearing a native surname but the meaning of the "Nweke" which to doesn't have any origin and deep meaning aside "Nwoke amuri ubochi eke." Can I do without a middle name. Thanks so much, I'm very much grateful for your responses.
Well you can do that - use your native name as your last name and keep you English first name (that is if you dislike Nweke so much)
However, a better alternative even would be using your current native name as a last name (that way your children answer it as their last name as well) then you pick another native first name for yourself.

Best of luck in everything you do, nwanne!

2 Likes

Re: Should I Change My Surname, Please I Need Your Advice. by Dremca(m): 3:56pm On Dec 21, 2017
Phut:

Well you can do that - use your native name as your last name and keep you English first name (that is if you dislike Nweke so much)
However, a better alternative even would be using your current native name as a last name (that way your children answer it as their last name as well) then you pick another native first name for yourself.

Best of luck in everything you do, nwanne!
I've decided to scrap "Nweke" and use my native name as my surname and keeping an english name as my first then probably adding another native name as my middle name. Just as I said from the begining, I want to read meaning to my names not an ancient name that has no clear definition as a surname. You're really one in a million and very grateful for your advice. I will simply say "AFAMEFUNA." Dalu!

1 Like

Re: Should I Change My Surname, Please I Need Your Advice. by Dremca(m): 3:57pm On Dec 21, 2017
Thank you all for your contributions, am most grateful.
Re: Should I Change My Surname, Please I Need Your Advice. by somcherry(f): 5:00pm On Dec 21, 2017
Dremca:
Is good to know you love your surname maybe because of the way it sound or the meaning but I pay more attention to meaning. There are funny Igbo names I can't give my children. Name like "Azuka" (back/backwardness is greater). It may sound nice to many but the meaning is awful. Same applies to names of other tribes.

Azuka actually means support is greater.
Giving someone a back can literally mean supporting someone.

1 Like

Re: Should I Change My Surname, Please I Need Your Advice. by Phut(f): 5:43pm On Dec 21, 2017
Dremca:
I've decided to scrap "Nweke" and use my native name as my surname and keeping an english name as my first then probably adding another native name as my middle name. Just as I said from the begining, I want to read meaning to my names not an ancient name that has no clear definition as a surname. You're really one in a million and very grateful for your advice. I will simply say "AFAMEFUNA." Dalu!

Yes, Afa yi efuna, my dear.

BTW; Yi is my Oguta dialect coming through. We say Yi and not Gi. grin

And it was my pleasure. Chi gozie!

1 Like

Re: Should I Change My Surname, Please I Need Your Advice. by Dremca(m): 5:48pm On Dec 21, 2017
Phut:

Yes, Afa yi efuna, my dear.
BTW; Yi is my Oguta dialect coming through. We say Yi and not Gi. grin
And it was my pleasure. Chi gozie!
Gracias
Re: Should I Change My Surname, Please I Need Your Advice. by Dremca(m): 5:50pm On Dec 21, 2017
somcherry:

Hmm, am learning but phut said Azuka means the past or history is greater. Could it be it can have 2 meanings. Thanks for contribution, am grateful.
Re: Should I Change My Surname, Please I Need Your Advice. by somcherry(f): 6:16pm On Dec 21, 2017
Dremca:
Hmm, am learning but phut said Azuka means the past or history is greater. Could it be it can have 2 meanings. Thanks for contribution, am grateful.

Yes, some names do...
Re: Should I Change My Surname, Please I Need Your Advice. by Phut(f): 6:31pm On Dec 21, 2017
somcherry:

I beg to differ. Support is Nyem aka - Literally to give a helping hand. Azuka as in the case of the name means past/history. The opposite of Azuka is Nkeiruka (Nkeiru being the future). Let me call the erudite scholars to come expound on this matter

cc: Tochex101, Pazienza, Probz, Scholti, Dremca.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Change My Surname, Please I Need Your Advice. by Dremca(m): 6:46pm On Dec 21, 2017
Phut:

I beg to differ. Support is Nyem aka - Literally to give a helping hand. Azuka as in the case of the name means past/history. The opposite of Azuka is Nkeiruka (Nkeiru being the future). Let me call the erudite scholars to come expound on this matter

It's going to be an interesting lecture. I've booked the front row seat waiting patiently for the erudite scholars.
Re: Should I Change My Surname, Please I Need Your Advice. by somcherry(f): 6:58pm On Dec 21, 2017
Phut:

I beg to differ. Support is Nye aka - Literally to give a helping hand. Azuka as in the case of the name means past/history. The opposite of Azuka is Nkeiruka (Nkeiru being the future). Let me call the erudite scholars to come expound on this matter

cc: Tochex101, Bigfrancis21.

Actually Azu doesn't directly or necessarily mean Support,
but in some context, laying on someone's back or giving someone a back can be translated to 'Support'

I translated Azu as back/Support, while yours seems to be Past/history

Support is greater is what I have always known Azuka to mean.

I am sure that there are other meaning,like the one you gave.
Re: Should I Change My Surname, Please I Need Your Advice. by Phut(f): 8:07pm On Dec 21, 2017
somcherry:

but in some context, laying on someone's back or giving someone a back can be translated to 'Support'

Yes Azu is back. But back does not equal, support. That is where you are making your mistake. In Igbo as well as English, you give support by lending a hand. Not giving a back?? The closest thing in English would be giving a shoulder to cry on (which is used in a consolatory sense).

Try using Azu as "support" in an Igbo sentence. That is when it would become manifestly clear to you that your translation is wrong.

Biko, nye'm aka = Please give me a hand/support.

1 Like

Re: Should I Change My Surname, Please I Need Your Advice. by Tochex101(m): 8:16pm On Dec 21, 2017
somcherry:

Azuka is more like an idiom, it can be said to mean good or better tidings are expected.....as in "greater tomorrow".

1 Like

Re: Should I Change My Surname, Please I Need Your Advice. by Probz(m): 8:24pm On Dec 21, 2017
Phut:

Mhm. This one’s even out of my depth. Ndo.

1 Like

Re: Should I Change My Surname, Please I Need Your Advice. by Phut(f): 8:25pm On Dec 21, 2017
Probz:

Mhm. This one’s even out of my depth. Ndo.

No problem. At least you tried.

1 Like

Re: Should I Change My Surname, Please I Need Your Advice. by Probz(m): 9:02pm On Dec 21, 2017
Phut:

No problem. At least you tried.

I’m flattered you think of me as a scholar though. cool

2 Likes

Re: Should I Change My Surname, Please I Need Your Advice. by pazienza(m): 11:50pm On Dec 21, 2017
Azuka means " Children are greater " or "descendants are greater ".

Azu in this context means those coming after you, those behind you, ie your children. Think of a chicken and her chicks all lined behind her, they are her "Azu".

Azuka = Children are greater.
Azuka ego = Children are greater than money
Azubuike = Children are strength
Azubogu = Children are fight , meaning one can only fight when one has children.
In the days of old, winning battles depended on numerical strength, which was decided by number of one's children and decendants.

Some had interpreted "Azu" to mean support, they are right in a way, since children provide support, but children do more than just support provision , so the interpretation of " Azu"as support, is not an encompassing one.

NB: I don't consider myself an erudite scholar grin Maybe I could become one, one day cool. The above description, however, was the explanation my now late grandfather gave to me, when I asked him of the meaning of the name "Azuka".

I also understand that same name might hold different interpretations, depending on part of Igboland one is from. This reality might also apply here.

5 Likes

Re: Should I Change My Surname, Please I Need Your Advice. by Dremca(m): 11:54pm On Dec 21, 2017
pazienza:

Azu in this context means those coming after you, those behind you, ie your children. Think of a chicken and her chicks all lined behind her, they are her "Azu".

Azubogu = Children is fight , meaning one can only fight when one has children.
In the days of old, winning battles depend on numerical strength, which is decided by number of one's children and decendants.

Some had interpreted "Azu" to mean support, they are right in a way, since children provide support, but children do more than just support provision , so the interpretation of " Azu"as support, is not an encompassing one.

NB: I don't consider myself an erudite scholar grin Maybe I could become one, one day cool. The above description, however, was the explanation my now late grandfather gave to me, when I asked him of the meaning of the name "Azuka".

I also understand that same name might hold different interpretations, depending on part of Igboland one is from. This reality might also apply here.
Re: Should I Change My Surname, Please I Need Your Advice. by Dremca(m): 11:55pm On Dec 21, 2017
pazienza:

Azubogu = Children is fight , meaning one can only fight when one has children.
In the days of old, winning battles depend on numerical strength, which is decided by number of one's children and decendants.

Interesting, thanks for your contribution.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Is Being The Firstborn Child A Burden? Let's Talk. / Why Do Nigerians Use People? / When Does A Woman Become A Liability?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.