Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,153 members, 7,811,312 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:55 AM

Help!! Business Or School? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Help!! Business Or School? (10009 Views)

Business Or Building A House / Self Development/skill Or School. (advise Me) / Business Or Handiwork What Should I Do? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help!! Business Or School? by cutedharmee: 10:03am On Dec 23, 2017
Business I choose. U can later enrol fr school I.e part time

1 Like

Re: Help!! Business Or School? by Sammy07: 10:05am On Dec 23, 2017
Sunnymatey:
Guy go for bizness u can see ursef thro school latter. I had an NCE, B.Ed with a paid job but wat is surviving me today is bizness. My salary in a month is not up to my sales in a day.

nnamdiokere45:
my bro do business.

wyqay:
if i say you should choose school how do you sponsor you education.go for business and later you can still go to school

LadyD91:
My dear, if not for the situation of the country today l would have said go to school as there is much prospect in schooling.

But if u have no politician as a backup when u are done schooling. Biko enter business oooo

ladyF:
Certificates are overrated. Since you don't have money now, go and start work, except you want to be sitting at home jobless. You can figure out a way to school part-time when money starts entering.

It's LadyF again. grin grin grin

jamex93:
it's better you learn a trade (hand work) than to serve any master in expectation that he will settle you with fund to set up your self after years or service.

learning work will cost you less time and stress
in 3 to 4 years you should be ready to stand on your own, depending on wat you learn

after which you can decide to enrol for sch( if u still think you need the certificate)

Education is over rated and not given proper place in this our country

tensazangetsu20:
Take the business but make sure it's a good master who will settle you. Education is way overrated in Nigeria.

iliyande:
We need money to go to school
after school we our certificates to look for money

We need money to start up a business
A good business brings more money grin

Op these are the best Advices...

As for the dude below me

angry undecided

arTiculaTe01:
What is business without school? The outstanding skills set you will need to run a good business is better gotten from school from serving as 'nwa boy'. Moreover, prospects are better and a successful life is more guaranteed if you go the school way. But in a country like naija, who knows?? angry I wanna resign from my current job and be a manager of a fuel station... Any vacancies?? shocked undecided

Shey nah you go sponsor him?... undecided

After finishing from school, isn't it the same certificate you'll use to be looking for money...? angry

Most of those rich people out there are either drop outs or didn't go to school.
I didn't say the OP shouldn't go to school..

But he should face his business, then afterwards he'll can go to school to acquire some knowledge. cool

2 Likes

Re: Help!! Business Or School? by livinbygrace: 10:12am On Dec 23, 2017
brosthink:
I'm in a crossroad in making a decision that may make or mar my future. Due to some financial difficulties in my family my parent said i should go and serve apprenticeship 'nwa boy' popular among the igbos and after serving for like 6 to 7years my master will settle me depending on how i serve him and will begin a business of my own, but at the same time i still have interest in school and whichever way can support and finance myself through school this argument has lasted for a week now and i don't know which way to go.

Pls NLders i need your opinion and advice on this will really appreciate with the comments

Go for business.How many people that wasted 5 years or more in sch could buy properties these days ?Moreover you can still enrol in any part time program once you are made.Business over school anytime.If you doubt me,go to Alaba International and Trade fair,you will see where a primary sch holder is a master to many graduates.

5 Likes

Re: Help!! Business Or School? by lumzybo: 10:14am On Dec 23, 2017
Chykeboss:
is a complicated issue try and discuss with your pastor if it still dosen't work out just follow ur heart. my 1cent. may the force be wit you

The early you take charge of your very own life, the better for you. #freethesheeples
Re: Help!! Business Or School? by onwuakpachris(m): 10:15am On Dec 23, 2017
my bro I'm a graduate so I'm speaking from experience k..go into business now u still young and capable..education can always wait k..like someone here rightly said..education used 2 b d key before d padlock was changed if u know wat I mean..

2 Likes

Re: Help!! Business Or School? by Nobody: 10:18am On Dec 23, 2017
ok.
Re: Help!! Business Or School? by ojonugwap(m): 10:24am On Dec 23, 2017
Chykeboss:
is a complicated issue try and discuss with your pastor if it still dosen't work out just follow ur heart. my 1cent. may the force be wit you

Is so call pastor God what his personal live have to do with pastor everything pastor pastor as if their the decision maker of life nonses
Re: Help!! Business Or School? by Achillesdam500(m): 10:30am On Dec 23, 2017
You can actually combine both Op,be a very prosperous businessman and be also educated
Re: Help!! Business Or School? by BestOnlineDeals(m): 10:34am On Dec 23, 2017
brosthink:
I'm in a crossroad in making a decision that may make or mar my future. Due to some financial difficulties in my family my parent said i should go and serve apprenticeship 'nwa boy' popular among the igbos and after serving for like 6 to 7years my master will settle me depending on how i serve him and will begin a business of my own, but at the same time i still have interest in school and whichever way can support and finance myself through school this argument has lasted for a week now and i don't know which way to go.

Pls NLders i need your opinion and advice on this will really appreciate with the comments

Why don't you start a mall buy and sell business on your own

Get a business plan, dream big and you will definitely get huge in 7 years. And you can also go to school on the side as well
Re: Help!! Business Or School? by Urchman27(m): 10:39am On Dec 23, 2017
business bro. but make sure ur master is a good person. a master that can give you the freedom

1 Like

Re: Help!! Business Or School? by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 10:42am On Dec 23, 2017
tensazangetsu20:
Take the business but make sure it's a good master who will settle you. Education is way overrated in Nigeria.

Stop talking nonsense

1 Like

Re: Help!! Business Or School? by Ruggedfitness: 10:44am On Dec 23, 2017
brosthink:

Well, nwa boy was done in the old days like in the 20th century, this is the 21st century, there are so many businesses you can run and make money in two years rather than work as a boy boy for 6 years.. If you have a phone then you should know the opportunities that await you.

There is not business you can run as an igbo man now that will bring you enough money. I am telling you the complete truth, struggle to go to school now. Stud something useful and your life will be changed forever.
Re: Help!! Business Or School? by Nobody: 10:46am On Dec 23, 2017
brosthink:

Combine both.
Re: Help!! Business Or School? by brosthink: 10:46am On Dec 23, 2017
Oxster:
Hmm,,firstly how old are you?

Moreover every thing we do is only flourishing by God grace
yrs thanks for the reply
Re: Help!! Business Or School? by brosthink: 10:48am On Dec 23, 2017
Ruggedfitness:

Well, nwa boy was done in the old days like in the 20th century, this is the 21st century, there are so many businesses you can run and make money in two years rather than work as a boy boy for 6 years.. If you have a phone then you should know the opportunities that await you.

There is not business you can run as an igbo man now that will bring you enough money. I am telling you the complete truth, struggle to go to school now. Stud something useful and your life will be changed forever.
share more light sir will really appreciate
Re: Help!! Business Or School? by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 10:50am On Dec 23, 2017
Take advantage of the golden opportunity you have been offered and get an education.
Education liberates the mind and opens doors.
I graduated in my twenties from the university and from the day I left school, people older, richer more experienced than me called me 'sir' because of my qualifications. It was embarrassing after a while. Like everyone else, I have been broke many times, but I have never been without options. Education gives you the chance to bounce back.
Anyone can make money, but a rich illiterate is the object of jokes and ridicule and an educated man can never be truly poor.

1 Like

Re: Help!! Business Or School? by Oxster(m): 10:54am On Dec 23, 2017
brosthink:

20 yrs thanks for the reply

Hmm,,serving someone isn't easy,u might serve like 5 years ND de kick u out

Start a skill like tailoring/fashion designer

Mayb 4 4-5 years ,,by 26 is still ok to go to school by tha tym,,u hv ur owe moni,,ND schooling will b easy
Re: Help!! Business Or School? by Nowenuse: 10:56am On Dec 23, 2017
Amberon11:
School. Nwa boy is slavery. Never be a slave. Go to school. I know it's difficult for your family but by all means try everything possible to go to school. While at school put your hands in anything (not illegal) that can give you money.

We had this neighbour who has had so many nwa boys. He never settles them. He always beats them with chains and the last one ran to my house for shelter after the man left bruises all over his body. So far we have known about 5 that left him just within the space of 2 years.

Yes, this is only for the unlucky ones. If the OP is lucky and gets a good oga. By the time he has been settled ehn, he would be far richer than his educated mates who would have just been finishing NYSC or with their worn out shoes looking for jobs on the streets of Nigeria walking everywhere with their CVs.

I know what am telling you. We who went to school are still either looking for or struggling hard where to fit in, but i know some nwa boys who left to serve oga same time with us that are now big boys with million naira businesses.

1 Like

Re: Help!! Business Or School? by Nobody: 10:59am On Dec 23, 2017
Furthering your Education will give you knowledge and prestige but business is what will help you to survive.

While doing business, don't forget to learn everyday. Read books, some magazines and some newspapers to be in the know.

You can even enroll for short training courses either paid or free. Some online courses are available for free too, for instance, HP life e-learning. Taking such short courses will help you to manage your business better.

The sad truth is that higher education in Nigeria is like expired medicine. It has done far more harm than good.

If you are going for the nwa boy stuff, ensure you, your parents and your new oga have a written and signed agreement in the presence of eyewitness. Such agreement should be in triplicate with each party having a copy.

3 Likes

Re: Help!! Business Or School? by brosthink: 11:02am On Dec 23, 2017
freebuddy:
Furthering your Education will give you knowledge and prestige but business is what will help you to survive.

While doing business, don't forget to learn everyday. Read books, some magazines and some newspapers to be in the know.

You can even enroll for short training courses either paid or free. Some online courses are available for free too, for instance, HP life e-learning. Taking such short courses will help you to manage your business better.

The sad truth is that higher education in Nigeria is like expired medicine. It has done far more harm than good.
Thanks for this sir.. tell me more about the free online course
Re: Help!! Business Or School? by Chykeboss(m): 11:09am On Dec 23, 2017
ojonugwap:

Is so call pastor God what his personal live have to do with pastor everything pastor pastor as if their the decision maker of life nonses
am very much entitled to my post
Re: Help!! Business Or School? by Nowenuse: 11:12am On Dec 23, 2017
dplordx:
Almost twenty years as a business man. The stress will tell on your health and it will strain your entire life. You will be having several sleepless nights, competitors will be after your customers and life, and lenders will hound you the way they are hunting Innoson. And don't forget the tax men... Especially in Lagos, you pay land use charge, local government tax, LASAA charges, LIRS yearly taxes, and there other association fees you pay all the time. It's as if the Nigerian economy is anti business, and I still don't know how young people can make a break even. I hear you mention MTN and GLO and Dangote, the truth is, I'd you probe the depth of the fiances of these business, you'd know it isn't a one man show. Their invests are senators, governors, ex presidents and current leaders. Please Stay with school. You could even become a politician if you end as a civil servant, or maybe end up running a parastatal or becoming a CEO. You have less stress and you can easily jump ship if the current company you are working for is sinking. Business is insane in Nigeria. Too many forces against you.
Please don't waste 20 something years as I have. My younger brother with a PhD is currently the head of language faculty in Atiku's university. Guy makes about half a million monthly and currently owns several properties in Ogun and Lagos while I'm still struggling to pay workers salary. Worrying about maintenance of my factory equipment, worrying about getting fuel for the buses and trucks, and cursing my mechanic and made that a new competitor is opening opposite me. Maybe you are cut for it... Anyways, A word is enough for the...

@Brosthink, what this guy Is saying above is not always true.
Unless you have enough money or a rich sponsor to sponsor your education up to your Phd level (which will take not less than 10 years) and you also have connections to get a good job after graduation. Then i advice you to go for business (but better still learn a handwork) cos not all ogas are reliable to nwa boys.

Many of us after spending many years in school, still come out to start business from the scratch like our mates who never went to school. Education in Nigeria is not worth it! Unless you get to study a professional course like medicine and pharmacy.

My best advice for you is to learn a good handwork first and then go for part time education while you develop your business at the same! Never give all you have to education in Nigeria unless you are from a rich background.

Funny enough, I am from a fairly rich background, but i regretted giving my all to education since 6 years ago, cos as soon as i got to my final year in school, my sponsor started dissapointing me seriously and i became frustrated and managed to graduate. This affected my results and gave me an extra year and the worse of all, the course i studied was like a useless course which has no job prospect in Nigeria.
With this bitter experience, i swore to myself to give younger ones and intending admission seekers a piece of my heart, never to make same mistake again.

My younger brother is about to take his jamb and i made it compulsory for him to enrol and learn some advanced IT skills and if possible practice for 1 whole year before he starts thinking of writing post Ume and seeking for admission. Don't make the same mistake I made!

3 Likes

Re: Help!! Business Or School? by Ruggedfitness: 11:12am On Dec 23, 2017
brosthink:

share more light sir will really appreciate

I believe the man you are going to work for is one of those igbo businessmen who owns a shop somewhere. After working for him for sometime you will be paid off to starts, now, there is no guarantee that you will make it in business after you start yours and there is no guarantee that you will live a happy life with it. I mean these are not like the old days anymore, things have changed.

But with a certificate, if you work really hard and smart and not like some half-baked graduate, you will a real chance in life to stand with your head high and make a real living, at that time you would have two choices in life. You can either start a business to live your life and you can also get employed anywhere, the more choices you have it life the easier life becomes for you. With a good result and a sharp mind, you can build a future you can be sure of, one you will have the guarantee of and best of all you can start your own business still. The government now gives loans to people who want to start their own business, but I believe it's for graduates. So I don't see any reason you will want to be an nwa boy for 6 years just to get enough money when you can take Jamb this year and study something that will benefit you, graduate, work hard and smart to get a job and then your life will kick start from there.
Re: Help!! Business Or School? by Spidermon: 11:37am On Dec 23, 2017
People have mentioned education naming mostly prestige and societal norms as reasons.

My brother...

Can you read and write english fluently?

Do you have a back up plan to fund your education and get a job afterwards??

Nigeria. Hmmm...

Guy !! Hmmm...
Re: Help!! Business Or School? by Nobody: 11:40am On Dec 23, 2017
brosthink:

Thanks for this sir.. tell me more about the free online course
Check out this link for the HP free courses http://www.life-global.org

There are also lots of free courses in https://www.edx.org

Also, to help you narrow down your interests, consider taking some self assessment tests such as

https://www.mynextmove.org/explore/ip

http://www.assessment.com

https://www.truity.com/test/holland-code-career-test

Beware these assessments can take as much as 1 hour to complete but they are very helpful.

1 Like

Re: Help!! Business Or School? by valentineuwakwe(m): 11:40am On Dec 23, 2017
i will advice you have a definite plan for school and the future...with a dedicated plan for you to follow, you will miss the steps....this is my advice to you now
venture into business, this is where that plan comes into play which you must adhere to strictly as if ur life depends on it....then save alot for your school...you have to save alot to meet your plan and school targets...
when you have funds, going to school will be easy and better...you can even be doing your business and register for part time...but you have to go into business for at least 2 years first before thinking of school things
Re: Help!! Business Or School? by Ogunleke48: 11:45am On Dec 23, 2017
Sunnymatey:
Guy go for bizness u can see ursef thro school latter. I had an NCE, B.Ed with a paid job but wat is surviving me today is bizness. My salary in a month is not up to my sales in a day.
I emailed you sir
Re: Help!! Business Or School? by Rhodiumic(m): 12:04pm On Dec 23, 2017
freebuddy:

If you are going for the nwa boy stuff, ensure you, your parents and your new oga have a written and signed agreement in the presence of eyewitness. Such agreement should be in triplicate with each party having a copy.
The BEST ADVICE!.
Re: Help!! Business Or School? by Jbuster: 12:05pm On Dec 23, 2017
Hello Mr Victor Ojeanelo, is it that you can't find my transaction details on your bank statement? You are behaving funny these days o.
Hello, good morning. Please help.me fund my wallet. I paid 2000 naira on your access bank account on Monday through my access bank app. And immediately my account was debited. It is so regrettable that since then my wallet has not been credited. Mr Victor Ojeanelo please do something. I'm already fed up of this.
Ajiboye Abiodun Jude: access>>>Debit Alert Amt: NGN 2,000.00 Dr
Acc: 005****052
Desc: FT/08169345178/VICTOR /AJIBOYE
Time: 11/12/17 @05:54 PM
Bal: NGN 4,112.15
#SaveToday
[12/23, 10:03] Ajiboye Abiodun Jude: Narration: 08169345178
Re: Help!! Business Or School? by Rhodiumic(m): 12:06pm On Dec 23, 2017
freebuddy:

The BEST ADVICE!.
Re: Help!! Business Or School? by Femijohn198: 12:19pm On Dec 23, 2017
I will advise you to go for business,they are many graduate outside there with masters looking for job without getting any,for me once you are in Nigeria go for business.if to says I know that time I could have learned work and be and independent man.
Re: Help!! Business Or School? by yungpowers(m): 12:21pm On Dec 23, 2017
my guy hence you don't have a sponsor I would advice you to opt for business.
All those ranting school up and down didn't you read that op is financially handicapped?
When I left school, I had no money to further my education despite beings afloat intellectually in class.
I acquired some skills and today it's beginning to pay off, sometime in 2019 I will enroll into schools for a part time program. Not because I wanna get rich but for the joy and prestige of being educated.
It's all about proper planning.
NB: You are the architect of your destiny.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Will You Do If You Are Sacked Or Fired? / How Can I Collect My Employment Letter From My Employer / 5 Major Keys To Being The Perfect Boss

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.