Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,656 members, 7,823,852 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:32 PM

Divorce: Emmanuel Eboue Is Broke, Suicide On His Mind As He Loses Everything - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Divorce: Emmanuel Eboue Is Broke, Suicide On His Mind As He Loses Everything (66962 Views)

UCL Final: Nigerian Man Cries Bitterly As He Loses His ₦4.5M House To A Bet / AFCON: Man Places N250000 Bet On Ghana To Win, He Loses / Etim ‘Ironbar’ Bassey Is Broke, Fills Potholes In Ajah Lagos. Gofundme Launched (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Divorce: Emmanuel Eboue Is Broke, Suicide On His Mind As He Loses Everything by azahmed(m): 7:49am On Dec 24, 2017
Skint ex-Arsenal defender Emmanuel Eboue hides from bailiffs, sleeps on pal's floor and can't afford washing machine

Emmanuel Eboue's staggering riches-to-rags plight, after an illustrious seven year career in the Premier League, has pushed him to the brink of suicide

BY DARREN LEWIS

23:00, 23 DEC 2017UPDATED23:03, 23 DEC 2017

Eleven years ago he was lining up to take part in the biggest club match in world football.

During an illustrious seven-year career in the Premier League , he pocketed millions of pounds in wages, lived in a mansion and drove flashy cars.

Now ex-Arsenal defender Emmanuel Ebouespends his days hiding from ­bailiffs, sometimes sleeps on the floor of a friend’s home, travels by bus and even cleans his clothes by hand because he has no washing machine.

Today, the 34-year-old tells how his staggering riches-to-rags plight has pushed him to the brink of suicide.

“I want God to help me,” he says. “Only he can help take these thoughts from my mind.”

To listen to Eboue open his heart is as harrowing as it is shocking.

Emmanuel Eboue says his fall from grace has pushed him to the brink of suicide(Image: Philip Coburn/Daily Mirror)

He wants to talk openly and honestly in a bid to encourage others going through the same ordeal to open up.

The Sunday Mirror, through its Time To Change campaign, has been battling for the past six years to smash the stigma associated with the mental ill health with which Eboue is now suffering.

At the peak of his career with Arsenal he became a fans’ favourite. He was part of the side that faced Barcelona in the 2006 Champions League final.

Arsenal lost but Eboue remains a cult-hero at the Emirates Stadium, as much for his happy demeanour and his goal celebrations as the ability which saw him help the Ivory Coast reach the 2012 Africa Cup of Nations Final.

The ex-Arsenal defender has lost everything(Image: Philip Coburn/Daily Mirror)

Kenny Sansom says he doesn't want go to rehab for a sixth time as he admits: "I just love drinking"

That joy, however, has been replaced by tears – and a deep fear of the future.

Eboue, currently unable to play football because of ill-health, says he has been pushed to the brink. He has:

Lost a bitter divorce battle, with his wife Aurelie awarded all of their assets.

Had to hide from cops and bailiffs after being ordered by a judge to transfer his remaining Enfield home to his wife.

Faced a heartbreaking estrangement from his three kids, who he has not seen since June.

Been grieving after the cancer death of grandfather Amadou Bertin – who raised him – and the loss of his brother N’Dri Serge, killed in a motorbike accident.

Emmanuel Eboue pictured with his wife and baby in happier times(Image: Getty)

It is now three weeks since a deadline passed for Eboue to surrender ownership of the North London home he used to share with Aurelie.

A judge will sign the transfer if Eboue does not do so.

The player and his wife lived there in happier times before Eboue bought a mansion – which Aurelie has now put on the market.

He understands she will rent out the Enfield property.

Emmanuel Eboue on the pitch for Arsenal(Image: Getty)

So Eboue, his belongings in bags, now awaits the knock that will see him ordered to leave at any time.

The worried star said: “I can’t afford the money to continue to have any lawyer or barrister.

"I am in the house but I am scared. Because I don’t know what time the police will come.

“Sometimes I shut off the lights because I don’t want people to know that I am inside. I put everything behind the door.

The ex-Premier League star is now forced to use public transport to get around(Image: Philip Coburn/Daily Mirror)

"My own house. I suffered to buy my house but I am now scared.

“I am not going to sell my clothes or sell what I have. I will fight until the end because it is not fair.”

Eboue has taken a huge fall from the days he netted millions at Arsenal and then more than £1.5million a year at Turkish side Galatasaray.

His dream of a Premier League return with Sunderland evaporated last year, however, after he was hit with a 12-month ban by FIFA after a dispute with a former agent.

Eboue was hit with a 12 month FIFA ban after a dispute with his former agent(Image: Philip Coburn/Daily Mirror)

Eboue says he was never given ­guidance to manage his finances.

Insisting his wife looked after most of their affairs, he admits being “naive” with money.

He also claims he was beset by a string of people who gave bad advice and lost him huge sums.

With a limited ­education, Eboue is paying the price for being unaware of his financial situation. His handful of visits to the bank were with Aurelie.

Eboue even recalls an occasion when bank staff visited him – to sign paperwork – at Arsenal’s training ground.

And he now wants other young African footballers to learn from his mistakes.

Eboue wants other young African footballers to learn from his mistakes(Image: Philip Coburn/Daily Mirror)

He says: “I look back and say ­‘Emmanuel, you have been naive... why didn’t you think about that before?’ It is hard.

"Very, very hard. The money I earned, I sent it to my wife for our children.

“In Turkey I earned eight million euros. I sent seven million back home. Whatever she tells me to sign, I sign.

"She is my wife. The problems with FIFA were because of people advising me. People who are supposed to care. But it was because of them FIFA banned me.”

Having surrendered the cars among assets transferred to his wife, Eboue now has an Oyster card and relies on London transport – while doing his best to avoid being recognised.

Eboue says his wife took care of all his business dealings(Image: Philip Coburn/Daily Mirror)

He splits his time between the Enfield house and the home of a ­confidante he calls his “sister” – Yasmin Razak.

He often sleeps on a mattress on her living room floor.

But even watching TV – and seeing the likes of former team-mate Thierry Henry as a football pundit – triggers negative thoughts.

He adds: “When I see Thierry I feel happy for him but ashamed of my own situation.

"When I see friends on TV that I played with or against I say to myself ‘I should still be there’. It’s hard to watch them.”

Both Yasmin and another close pal, ex-Portsmouth and Newcastle striker Lomana Lua Lua, have been crucial in helping Eboue stay afloat.

Eboue consoles Jack Wilshere after losing to Birmingham in the League Cup final(Image: Reuters)

Of Yasmin, he said: “I call her house The Bunker. I can hide there. She has children. I don’t want to disturb them, so I sleep on the floor.”

Eboue is devastated at spending Christmas apart from his own kids, daughters Clara, 14, and Maeva, 12, and son Mathis, nine.

He goes on: “It hurts me a lot. They used to call me. But now, no contact. It pains me to be alone without them.”

Eboue has been left without so much as a washing machine.

But he won’t be beaten, saying: “Every day I wash my jeans, my clothes, everything. My hands are hard. As though I have been working on a farm.

Eboue with Arsene Wenger in 2010(Image: Getty Images)

“I thank my grandmother because she taught me to wash, cook, clean, everything as a young man.

“I continue to thank God. I have my life. I didn’t want what has happened. I don’t wish it on anybody.”

While Eboue wants to return to playing one day, he would jump at the chance of working with former club Arsenal or players’ union the PFA.

He says: “I would accept help from anywhere but if my previous club wants to help me then I would be very, very happy. Maybe I could help the young players?

“The PFA helped me when I had my problems with my agent. If they gave me a job, even if it wasn’t a big, big job.

“Maybe I’d see some of the people I played with or against and I’d feel embarrassed. But I would cope.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/arsenal-emmanuel-eboue-skint-bailiffs-11746303.amp?__twitter_impression=true

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Divorce: Emmanuel Eboue Is Broke, Suicide On His Mind As He Loses Everything by whonamehelp(m): 7:50am On Dec 24, 2017
whick kind assignment be this undecided
who read am?

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Divorce: Emmanuel Eboue Is Broke, Suicide On His Mind As He Loses Everything by solpat(m): 7:58am On Dec 24, 2017
Fear women angry

They can either make or mar your life

307 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Divorce: Emmanuel Eboue Is Broke, Suicide On His Mind As He Loses Everything by Nobody: 8:00am On Dec 24, 2017
life goes on

3 Likes

Re: Divorce: Emmanuel Eboue Is Broke, Suicide On His Mind As He Loses Everything by kachi19: 8:07am On Dec 24, 2017
See how a woman ruined. And only a devil will bring a man to nutt without a single string of pity even willing to take more of his sweat and make him suffer for what? At most infidelity... And Why TF is a woman allowed to take all from a man because they're "divorcing"?? In my life time i witnessed many high celebs who's been bankrupt by their wives who took marriage as wealth empowerment strategy, good business huh? Well i pray for eboue as a person. God help him indeed and raise him again

258 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Divorce: Emmanuel Eboue Is Broke, Suicide On His Mind As He Loses Everything by lumzybo: 8:43am On Dec 24, 2017
This is BAD, VERY BAD.

Just cos u have money now doesn't mean you gonna have it tomorrow. It will fly away if u fail to plan your life well.

PLAN... sorry Emmanuel, we can't help you, we can only learn from ur story.

65 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Divorce: Emmanuel Eboue Is Broke, Suicide On His Mind As He Loses Everything by pato405(m): 8:45am On Dec 24, 2017
solpat:
Fear women angry

Bro, you've said it all. Women are only there for you when the 'going' is good. As soon as hard, difficult, or trying times come, they put up very funny nagging attitude in order to have a quarrel, seek divorce and vanish with the kids...it's always their formula. This guy should try as much as possible to bounce back ...and watch the woman device strategies for reconciliation. Over 98% of them are gold digging, glory hunting, money-ass-licking b!tches! fair weather friends that are only there for the good times.

192 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Divorce: Emmanuel Eboue Is Broke, Suicide On His Mind As He Loses Everything by azahmed(m): 8:54am On Dec 24, 2017
solpat:
Fear women angry

Especially white women. No wonder Mikel no marry

89 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Divorce: Emmanuel Eboue Is Broke, Suicide On His Mind As He Loses Everything by Gliding(m): 8:57am On Dec 24, 2017
whonamehelp:
whick kind assignment be this undecided
who read am?

I did. Eboue wouldn't be in this trouble if he read something like this years ago. Long, but worth it.

509 Likes 40 Shares

Re: Divorce: Emmanuel Eboue Is Broke, Suicide On His Mind As He Loses Everything by Smellymouth: 11:31am On Dec 24, 2017
Any man when nor fear woman i dey fear that man...

Bros, it's never too late... you can play 3 sure odds in bet9ja and bounce back. Just forget about that Delilah...

66 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Divorce: Emmanuel Eboue Is Broke, Suicide On His Mind As He Loses Everything by eitsei(m): 2:51pm On Dec 24, 2017
Be careful who choose as your life partner

Be careful of the friends you move with and most importantly be enlightened and always use your head because if eboue was enlightened enough or educated he wouldn't be in this mess.. I pray for him as a man I pray God makes a way for him

O lowo rí kò lowo mo Ọlọhun má fi kan wà o

67 Likes

Re: Divorce: Emmanuel Eboue Is Broke, Suicide On His Mind As He Loses Everything by bakynes(m): 3:17pm On Dec 24, 2017
As an African man he ought to have sent most of his Money down to Ivory-Coast.

Marrying a white woman you should know once you get divorced, she will get the better part of your money and assets. So he just worked for nothing all these years, too bad that's life. I pray he at least spring up again even if not at the pedalstal he was before.

80 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Divorce: Emmanuel Eboue Is Broke, Suicide On His Mind As He Loses Everything by seunmsg(m): 4:48pm On Dec 24, 2017
Eboue's grace to grass story is very sad. It is even more pathetic when the source of his problem is a lady who once claimed to love him so much. This should serve as a good lesson to every man out there. It is not in our African culture for a man to work and make money and then give it to the woman to manage it. Don't ever entrust all your assets to a lady no matter how much love you proclaim for each other. The idea of a joint account or joint ownership is nonsense. Let there be a delineation. An African man is not expected to declare all his earnings and assets to his wife for a reason.

Our African male stars also have to stop this silly trend of marrying white women once they become rich and famous. Go back to your country and marry a girl from there. Don't ever marry under any stupid European or American law. Marry under the law of your country. If things go wrong, get elders from your respective places to intervene and when reconciliation is no longer possible, you can divorce quietly without her clearing you out. If you must marry under European or American law, fvcking sign a prenuptial agreement.

Ahmed Musa divorced his first wife without losing anything significant. He probably wouldn't have gotten away easily with the divorce if he had married a white British woman initially.

296 Likes 20 Shares

Re: Divorce: Emmanuel Eboue Is Broke, Suicide On His Mind As He Loses Everything by MrHistorian: 8:14pm On Dec 24, 2017
I read this earlier on Whatsapp.

It's really sad and unfortunate.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Divorce: Emmanuel Eboue Is Broke, Suicide On His Mind As He Loses Everything by ifyan(m): 8:15pm On Dec 24, 2017
Hmm

Lazy women especially modern day Feminist would love this.

Men be wise and don't be a Sissy because it's a strategy by women to tame men for there selfish reasons

34 Likes

Re: Divorce: Emmanuel Eboue Is Broke, Suicide On His Mind As He Loses Everything by Lakside1955(m): 8:15pm On Dec 24, 2017
Haaa
Re: Divorce: Emmanuel Eboue Is Broke, Suicide On His Mind As He Loses Everything by martineverest(m): 8:15pm On Dec 24, 2017
Lesson for Nigerian artistes.. Mc hamman syndrome
Re: Divorce: Emmanuel Eboue Is Broke, Suicide On His Mind As He Loses Everything by Nobody: 8:16pm On Dec 24, 2017
The summary of the whole story is...

Get Married To A Materialistic Woman. Get Ready To Be Betrayed When The Chips Are Down.

Choose Wisely!

32 Likes

Re: Divorce: Emmanuel Eboue Is Broke, Suicide On His Mind As He Loses Everything by Nobody: 8:16pm On Dec 24, 2017
stale news..........he is already getting his act together
Re: Divorce: Emmanuel Eboue Is Broke, Suicide On His Mind As He Loses Everything by saasala(m): 8:16pm On Dec 24, 2017
The story might be a hoax. Sometimes footballers need to feign being broke to avoid heavy tax or jail sentence for avoiding tax, especially when they are on the verge of retiring. Who wants to pay millions of pounds in tax to the Government when you will retire next year? The story of ex Liverpool star John Barnes comes to mind. Barnes played with everyone's head and got away with it. Eboue still plays football till date and he is not being owed a dime by Turkish club Ocağı Limasol. His 10 year old son recently signed for Arsenal, and yes, he got paid for it as the boy is very talented and was bought from another academy. Eboue brokered the deal.

Click the link on this post and watch the video and the photos attached, the wristwatch on his hand is Hublot and if you are a fan of wristwatches you should know that the machine on Eboue is nothing less than 12 thousand pounds. A broke man sleeping on the floor of a friend's apartment wearing a 12k pounds Hublot, think about it. I am no fool

Nuff said.

69 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Divorce: Emmanuel Eboue Is Broke, Suicide On His Mind As He Loses Everything by ibkgab001: 8:16pm On Dec 24, 2017
Nah so e gonhappen to any one holding my destiny this year
Re: Divorce: Emmanuel Eboue Is Broke, Suicide On His Mind As He Loses Everything by kolafolabi(m): 8:16pm On Dec 24, 2017
A lesson to everyone.. Make hay while the sun shines

4 Likes

Re: Divorce: Emmanuel Eboue Is Broke, Suicide On His Mind As He Loses Everything by roqrules04(m): 8:16pm On Dec 24, 2017
Don't marry Oyinbo they won't listen.. his village people too are wicked abeg

11 Likes

Re: Divorce: Emmanuel Eboue Is Broke, Suicide On His Mind As He Loses Everything by johnstar(m): 8:16pm On Dec 24, 2017
shocked
Re: Divorce: Emmanuel Eboue Is Broke, Suicide On His Mind As He Loses Everything by Omeokachie: 8:17pm On Dec 24, 2017
Eve showed Adam pepper.

Now it's Eboue's turn!

7 Likes

Re: Divorce: Emmanuel Eboue Is Broke, Suicide On His Mind As He Loses Everything by morereb10: 8:17pm On Dec 24, 2017
is that even remotely possible??

After all that money?

3 Likes

Re: Divorce: Emmanuel Eboue Is Broke, Suicide On His Mind As He Loses Everything by kolnel: 8:17pm On Dec 24, 2017
That’s why many people don’t want to get married
You could lose everything to your wife

8 Likes

Re: Divorce: Emmanuel Eboue Is Broke, Suicide On His Mind As He Loses Everything by Geofavor(m): 8:17pm On Dec 24, 2017
His illiteracy is the major cause of his fall.
That white gold digger probably deceived him
into signing documents he wouldn't have
signed if he were educated.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Divorce: Emmanuel Eboue Is Broke, Suicide On His Mind As He Loses Everything by northvietnam(m): 8:18pm On Dec 24, 2017
Sheey u wan marry Oyinbo Abi. ....

U never che chum chin......

Mike SlowObi/ OLGA loading

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Divorce: Emmanuel Eboue Is Broke, Suicide On His Mind As He Loses Everything by rs172(m): 8:18pm On Dec 24, 2017
Really painful...

but then lemme use this medium to announce my soon to be released song..
Reagan_stevs No.
download more music and get hyped with nerohype.

1 Like

Re: Divorce: Emmanuel Eboue Is Broke, Suicide On His Mind As He Loses Everything by KevinDein: 8:18pm On Dec 24, 2017
The west are just crazy. Makes absolutely no sense to give all what a man worked all his life to his wife following a divorce. There is no logic in that.

This is exactly what the feminists want. Superiority over men. A system that favors them in ramifications.

25 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Shahdon Winchester Dies In Accident With His Girlfriend In Trinidad & Tobago / I Tried To Withdraw My Money From Bet9ja And This Happened! / Mikel Is 7th Best Paid African Player

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.