Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,068 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:08 AM

What Would Encourage You To Return To Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Would Encourage You To Return To Nigeria? (6203 Views)

Poll: Which 3 Matter Most To You And Could Persuade You To Return To Nigeria?

Good Health Service: 13% (70 votes)
Low Crime: 22% (114 votes)
Good Roads: 12% (62 votes)
Full Time Electricity: 33% (170 votes)
Full Time Running Water: 6% (31 votes)
Full Time Telephony: 0% (5 votes)
Good Education System: 10% (53 votes)
This poll has ended

I Have No Problem With Igbos Leaving Nigeria. Infact I Encourage It. / Nigerians Encourage Corruption – President Jonathan / Patience Jonathan To Return To Nigeria Soon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Would Encourage You To Return To Nigeria? by CILondon: 3:41am On Apr 05, 2010
For those Nigerians in the diaspora, what would persuade you to return to live in Nigeria? For me it would be:

Good Health Service
Low Crime
Good Roads
Good Economy (this cannot be achieved until Nigeria has Full time electricity, running water and telecommunications)

How about you - what would persuade you to return? Have I missed out anything?
I deliberately left out "jobs" and "good economy" from the poll because that is too easy an answer to give and I want people to think deeper than that.
Re: What Would Encourage You To Return To Nigeria? by Ikengawo: 5:04am On Apr 05, 2010
the ppl that have left nigeria are flat out afraid to go back. regardless. i can be heaven on earth, but nigerians in diaspora are often suprised to find out nigeria has television channels.

I see them in the airport trying to pack as much 'america' in their luggages as possible. 1 women with 5 or 6 luggages full of appliances she just bought to take to nigeria that she could have bought in nigeria.

the reason is because they're scared of nigeria in general and have an unshakable depiction of nigeria as an unmoving hell hole.

Im fortunate to have been born in the US but still be nigerian cause i can see things from another perspective. These nigerians in diaspora act like electricity is the key to happiness

anyone that votes for any of these things on the poll just remember something as trivial as electricity (which you didn't grow up with) is why you've seperated yourself from your country your heritage and most of all your parents, brothers and sisters.

these ppl just dont want to be nigerian in general. give them all the electricity you want, they're not going home.
Re: What Would Encourage You To Return To Nigeria? by CILondon: 9:27pm On Apr 05, 2010
You are missing the whole point - it is not just the electricity but what you can do with it. It gives you light to see, air-conditioning to make you comfortable in a hot country, you can use appliances, start businesses, run factories, create jobs, improve the economy
Re: What Would Encourage You To Return To Nigeria? by sjeezy8: 9:52pm On Apr 05, 2010
Nigeria isnt that bad - beside the killing and kidnapping but that shiot happens in all developing countries.
Of course you will have alot of poor people and small elite like every country.

Nigeria is far more ahead than anyother african country aside- from SA, and maybe Ghana.
Out of 53 countries in Africa Nigeria is number 2 lol

When I meet people from Ethiopia, Somalia Sierre leone, Liberia, Zimbabwe, Gambia,Even India, China etc (other crazy 3rd world countries) -I tanx God im from Nigeria. those countries no even get Oil and are still 1 million times worse than Nigeria.
Re: What Would Encourage You To Return To Nigeria? by ezeagu(m): 10:02pm On Apr 05, 2010
sjeezy8:

Nigeria is far more ahead than anyother african country aside- from SA, and maybe Ghana.

When you say Africa, you probably mean Sub-Sahara, so even in that case Nigeria is still not number 2, Botswana and Equatorial Guinea have better Human Development Index's than Nigeria, even Djibouti, Uganda and Haiti have better HDI's.
Re: What Would Encourage You To Return To Nigeria? by CILondon: 10:16pm On Apr 05, 2010
sjeezy8:

When I meet people from Ethiopia, Somalia Sierre leone, Liberia, Zimbabwe, Gambia,Even India, China etc (other crazy 3rd world countries) -I tanx God im from Nigeria. those countries no even get Oil and are still 1 million times worse than Nigeria.

Here we go with the Oil again.
Can you not think outside of oil just for 2 minutes
Oil - the false god of Nigeria. The fixtaion/obsession is frightening.
Re: What Would Encourage You To Return To Nigeria? by sjeezy8: 10:24pm On Apr 05, 2010
^^^ my point is a country's successful or unsuccessfulness has nothing to do with Oil.

You seem to think that Oil is Nigerias problem and its not. Nigeria could still be far worse than it is.

Ezeagu - their populations are small of course they would be better. We are talking about naija 150million people soon to be 180 million.
Re: What Would Encourage You To Return To Nigeria? by ezeagu(m): 10:34pm On Apr 05, 2010
sjeezy8:

Ezeagu - their populations are small of course they would be better. We are talking about naija 150million people soon to be 180 million.

That's an excuse I don't necessarily find true, but we can't compare to anyone because Nigeria is the biggest Sub-Saharan African country. If you ask me Botswana and Equatorial Guinea are doing the best in Sub-Sahara Africa because of their monoculture and language.
Re: What Would Encourage You To Return To Nigeria? by sjeezy8: 10:42pm On Apr 05, 2010
^^^ yea so maybe we should split Nigeria into 250 countries.
Re: What Would Encourage You To Return To Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:43pm On Apr 05, 2010
low crime is number one
Re: What Would Encourage You To Return To Nigeria? by Onlytruth(m): 10:45pm On Apr 05, 2010
CILondon:

Here we go with the Oil again.
Can you not think outside of oil just for 2 minutes
Oil - the false god of Nigeria. The fixtaion/obsession is frightening.

lol! that mosquito can never even breath without oil talk less of thinking. For anyone to simple say that Nigeria lags "only" South Africa and Ghana is like saying they are comfortable suffering from "only" Malaria because others have AIDS and Cancer.
How about being completely disease free? Fcking morons. I want my country to be the BEST in Africa and competing with the BEST in the world. Placing 3rd in a third world continent is humiliating.  undecided
Oil is a curse on Nigeria -but then again that is no secret.
Re: What Would Encourage You To Return To Nigeria? by sjeezy8: 10:47pm On Apr 05, 2010
common unrealistic idot ^^^^
Re: What Would Encourage You To Return To Nigeria? by Onlytruth(m): 10:49pm On Apr 05, 2010
^^^
slowpoke! angry you can't live or breath without oil. undecided
Re: What Would Encourage You To Return To Nigeria? by sjeezy8: 10:59pm On Apr 05, 2010
lol - what are you talking about I dont know any sensible person that can live without Oil products-

isnt that what we put in our cars? or you want to walk everywhere
isnt it what we use for airplanes- or you want to swim to yankee abi? lol
isnt it what we use for generators?
isnt that what we use for the Roads (heavy crude Oil)?
Re: What Would Encourage You To Return To Nigeria? by ElRazur: 11:02pm On Apr 05, 2010
72 virgins? Oh wait, you mean Nigeria.

Well, if the hospitals are well developed and a few sociol-economic-structures are in place I guess. smiley
Re: What Would Encourage You To Return To Nigeria? by ezeagu(m): 11:46pm On Apr 05, 2010
sjeezy8:

^^^ yea so maybe we should split Nigeria into 250 countries.

There is something called a dominant culture, most countries in the world that are successful have one regardless of smaller ethno-cultural groups, e.g England. Are each of those 250 groups really ethnicity's or are they clans? How many of those groups are more than 100,000?
Re: What Would Encourage You To Return To Nigeria? by CILondon: 12:15am On Apr 06, 2010
sjeezy8:

lol - what are you talking about I dont know any sensible person that can live without Oil products-

isnt that what we put in our cars? or you want to walk everywhere
isnt it what we use for airplanes- or you want to swim to yankee abi? lol
isnt it what we use for generators?
isnt that what we use for the Roads (heavy crude Oil)?

I am not talking about oil products - everyone in the world has some type of oil product in the house (vaseline), kitchen (plastic bags and containers), car tank(petrol) or something.
I am talking about the obsession with crude oil - the obsessive belief that crude oil is the one and only means of econominc viability.
How does Japan, Singapore, south korea and other non-oil producing countries do it?
Re: What Would Encourage You To Return To Nigeria? by Sunofgod(m): 10:02am On Apr 06, 2010
Crude oil is easy money - not much effort or brain power needed to make big bucks.

The oil fields should be shut down for a minimum of 50 years.

Then the Government/People will be forced to think and create with their minds.
Re: What Would Encourage You To Return To Nigeria? by rebranded(m): 10:12am On Apr 06, 2010
Definately if there is steady power i will return to Nigeria

I believe steady power will increase safety, infact will trigger everything else
Re: What Would Encourage You To Return To Nigeria? by victorazy(m): 11:35am On Apr 06, 2010
FREEDOM!!!! FREEEEDDDOOOOMMMM11111 FFFFRREEEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: What Would Encourage You To Return To Nigeria? by orin1981(m): 11:49am On Apr 06, 2010
as much as I use to hate been a Nigerian and despise been born in this country, after traveling outside the country about a half dozen times, and meeting people from several parts of the world, i realized am even lucky to be a Nigerian. though nigerian leaders are totally useless and dont have the slightest clue or idea about how to move this nation forward especially those useless northerners, and now we are already seeing how useless ijaws people too really are, i just still feel lucky after sharing a room with a lebanese in Florida State University where I studied quantity survey and csm.he would tell me i was lucky to even be a nigerian that they arabs have long been demonized by the entire humanity and its as if they carried a greater curses and these are nations that possessed more oil than nigeria.
nigerians just dont count their blessings.
Re: What Would Encourage You To Return To Nigeria? by princekevo(m): 12:00pm On Apr 06, 2010
Just my family.
Re: What Would Encourage You To Return To Nigeria? by lonelydude: 12:03pm On Apr 06, 2010
If I get a job in one of the biggest Multi-National Oil Company in Naija, I'll definitely go back to naija regardless of what the country currently looks like.
Re: What Would Encourage You To Return To Nigeria? by Drunk: 12:14pm On Apr 06, 2010
Why limit me to just these few options of your poll? My reason is not listed in what you've got
Re: What Would Encourage You To Return To Nigeria? by sosilly1(m): 12:16pm On Apr 06, 2010
-stable electricity- this will most likely trigger a rise in manufacturing industry & output of existing ones, increase in profit margins (less spent on running & maintenance of generators), more jobs, more taxes paid by individuals & companies alike, which feeds back to the economy as a whole, likely to encourage investment by the government. Improvement in the quality of life of every Nigerian, ie money spent on gens & less noise, The effects of a better quality of life is something that cannot be quantified, i think,

-good roads- less time getting to work, more time getting work done, improve family/personal life. Likely to cut out one of the many everyday Nigerian stress factors, increase in efficiency of our logistic & transportation industry, more jobs blah blah blah, tongue

-Good education system- i don't think i need to explain why this necessary, do i?

So why this 3? Well, i think the people who are currently outside Nigeria, well qualified or at least able to contribute a lot more than they are currently able to (racism is still alive, they just got smarter concealing it) would not mind returning to a country with potential in growth, economy & otherwise, where you don't have to pay taxes & bills for things you still have to provide for yourself, which i think fuels our 'everyman for himself attitude', and a good education system for their young ones, something that took most of us out of the country in the first place, thereby knowing there is a place for them in their own country in future,

*assuming we have a forward thinking government in place*
Re: What Would Encourage You To Return To Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:22pm On Apr 06, 2010
@ poster: There's an important factor that you left out of the poll - Good leaders. If we have this in Nigeria & Africa, every other good thing shall be added unto us including the almighty electricity. Why do u think S/Africa has 35,000MW while we have been grapling with barely 4,000MW over the past 2 decades.
Re: What Would Encourage You To Return To Nigeria? by snowdrops(m): 12:27pm On Apr 06, 2010
Nigeria is not that bad, afterall we only have massive unemployment, insecurity [ie armed robbery, kidnapping, assassinations, 419, ethnic/religious cleansing, toothless law enforcement], corruption, poverty, poor infracstructure[electricity, water, bad roads], and anarchy.

Please be comfortable in this backwardness while other countries march forwards. Continue wallowing in denial.
Re: What Would Encourage You To Return To Nigeria? by elaojukan: 12:28pm On Apr 06, 2010
Stability of electricity to start with
Re: What Would Encourage You To Return To Nigeria? by r231(m): 12:41pm On Apr 06, 2010
rebranded:

Definately if there is steady power i will return to Nigeria

I believe steady power will increase safety, infact will trigger everything else

true
Re: What Would Encourage You To Return To Nigeria? by Echidime(m): 12:42pm On Apr 06, 2010
I can only return to nigeria, when Nigerian girls stop been stingy with their pussy,western world is moving because ladies are open and do not pretend, here a lady can see you on the train or bus and give you sign that she needs you, same day bothof you will enjoy intimately, but naija girls want you to go after them for 1 years before giving making love to them,which is why they are lacking behind from the moving generation of the western ladies grin grin grin grin
Re: What Would Encourage You To Return To Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:05pm On Apr 06, 2010
sjeezy8:

another paranoid nationalist.Obviously,you are talking tipper-load of bullshit and you know it.OR maybe not
Re: What Would Encourage You To Return To Nigeria? by newmaster(m): 1:12pm On Apr 06, 2010
ask and it shall be given unto u, then what will encourage me back to naija is, ( good governamce ) i cry for my country, with good leaders, corruption will say bye to nigeria govt cry cry cry cry cry cry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Kaduna Ministry Official Taken For Suicide Bomber Dies Of Gunshot Wounds / Benin Monarch Refuses To Endorse Pdp Candidate / Nigerian Army Confirms Troops Fled Mubi; Investigation Now Underway

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.