Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,730 members, 7,820,531 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:33 PM

Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer (18864 Views)

Employer Drags 2 Hungry Staff To Court For Stealing Loaves Of Bread Worth N2,600 / This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice / Frustrated Employee Blasts His Employer For Always Messing With His “small” Sala (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by Xtfield(m): 7:30am On Dec 27, 2017
Machi1:
Good day nairalanders,
I need an advise from any lawyer in the house. I got a new job and was a given a letter of employment by the HR personnel of the company. I told the HR personnel that I have to give one month notice to my current employer then but she insisted on 3weeks. I agreed with the 3 weeks and sent my letter of resignation giving 3 weeks ahead as my last day with my current employer then. After about a week the HR personnel told me that the company cannot pay me the agreed amount, I told her that I have dropped my resignation letter and there is nothing I can do about it at that point in time.
On the resumption date stated in my letter of employment, I went to the HR personnel and to my greatest surprise she acted as if we have not met before, I had to introduce myself.
She requested for my resignation letter because she was insisting that I might have not resigned when she told me about the salary. Meanwhile, I sent my resignation letter as an attachment through my official email with my previous employer. I provided the copy of the letter and she insisted to get mail itself that I attached the letter. I was not able to get that since I no longer have access to the email.
We dragged this issue for a long time till she admitted that the vacancy no longer exists. I am now jobless for a month now.
I intend to write to my previous employer to confirm that they received resignation letter on the date I sent it to them. Finally, I intend to sue the company for a breach of contract, Please advise if I have a chance to win the case. Thanks for your responses.
Why are you shielding the 419 company? Come out with their name, and address. Wage a serious social media war against them. Let the whole world know how evil they are.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by Sike(m): 7:30am On Dec 27, 2017
This is serious
Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by uboma(m): 7:31am On Dec 27, 2017
biacan:
hmmmmmm this is a serious issue but are you in good terms with your previous employer before you left the company.....?
Go to his friends and explain to them beg them to take you to him and promise your employer that you've accepted the cause of your actions and it won't happen again he should give you one last chance GOOD Luck

meanwhile
Pray and fast before doing the above the creator is still faithful

this is a dumb advise.

3 Likes

Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by heendrix(m): 7:32am On Dec 27, 2017
tosbobby:
Bros,
You would have consulted wise men/friends before taking such decision why because Nigeria is not an ideal environment for such practice.
You would have requested for leave then go and resume at the other office. Take your time to study the working environment before concluding on your decision.
I doubt if going back there would make a significant difference because an "Average man" is not happy about another man’s progress. As a result, even if the post is still vacant, they may tell you that they have employed another person.
Even a lawyer go use you chop because hiring a lawyer has some cost implications. The company can even take their stand claiming they have issues. Will you kill them?
These are part of the irregularities that made this country Nigeria…
Go and queue on nairaland job page; trust me you don’t wanna give up.

you'd intended to say an average Nigerian

1 Like

Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by Emeritus001(m): 7:33am On Dec 27, 2017
U could have confirmed the reputability of the new company before leaving ur former employer.. However if u have d resources u may file a case against the company but even though u win d case u will not last in the company because u will be on their black list....Try 2 reconnect with ur former employer and check if u can be give a new chance...... Best of luck bro...
Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by sirxris(m): 7:35am On Dec 27, 2017
Nawa for some people ooo. If you don't have any reasonable suggestion or advice to render, why come here and joke about something as serious as this issue. Imagine you were in the guy's shoes.

As for the case, bro, you have a very strong case. Just consult a lawyer, the consultation fee is not that too high at all. So, I believe you can afford it. The lawyer, then, will advise you on how to go about the case, and how much compensation fee for damages you can claim.

I advise you don't let it lie low at all. You have 99% strong case. The only problem is Nigeria's system where legal cases can drag on for too long unbearably, eating your money all the time (for lawyer's appearance fee)

Best of luck
Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by Adeelijah17(m): 7:37am On Dec 27, 2017
The preffered way is to first write LEAVE LETTER at your former Office, then you resume at the new company to study them even if it's for 5 days. mistakes does happen and I believe you won't make such again.
Good luck
Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by uboma(m): 7:37am On Dec 27, 2017
Machi1:
Good day nairalanders,
I need an advise from any lawyer in the house. I got a new job and was a given a letter of employment by the HR personnel of the company. I told the HR personnel that I have to give one month notice to my current employer then but she insisted on 3weeks. I agreed with the 3 weeks and sent my letter of resignation giving 3 weeks ahead as my last day with my current employer then. After about a week the HR personnel told me that the company cannot pay me the agreed amount, I told her that I have dropped my resignation letter and there is nothing I can do about it at that point in time.
On the resumption date stated in my letter of employment, I went to the HR personnel and to my greatest surprise she acted as if we have not met before, I had to introduce myself.
She requested for my resignation letter because she was insisting that I might have not resigned when she told me about the salary. Meanwhile, I sent my resignation letter as an attachment through my official email with my previous employer. I provided the copy of the letter and she insisted to get mail itself that I attached the letter. I was not able to get that since I no longer have access to the email.
We dragged this issue for a long time till she admitted that the vacancy no longer exists. I am now jobless for a month now.
I intend to write to my previous employer to confirm that they received resignation letter on the date I sent it to them. Finally, I intend to sue the company for a breach of contract, Please advise if I have a chance to win the case. Thanks for your responses.

This is a sad experience but a good Lawyer, you can win this case and claim damages.

By the way, what is the nature of this new organisation? is it owned by an individual or is it a corporate body?

And I hope you have evidence of the new HR asking you to resign within 3 weeks.
Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by olumzzz(m): 7:40am On Dec 27, 2017
Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by idu1(m): 7:41am On Dec 27, 2017
cassidy1996:

please I want to warn those good Samaritan's out there , mind who you lend money to some people are evil. they will never pay you back and when you ask for your money, they are ready to fight and call you names

I used my money to saved one modafukas wife in the dead of the night when she had medical emergency. You won't believe what they are telling me about the money now. I have dash them the money. Na karma judgment I dey wait....

1 Like

Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by Nobody: 7:42am On Dec 27, 2017
ejosh4:
Chaiii

Village people at work

Eleyi gidi gan

From 2 jobs to Zero within a month

All I can say is “All will be well"

wat sort of silliness is this village ppl this village ppl that? can we make gud comments without mentioning the village ppl.
as for d OP, u must ve learnt ur lessons. next time don't b too formal in submitting ur resignation letter.
Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by idu1(m): 7:45am On Dec 27, 2017
[quote author=Xtfield post=63641745]Why are you shielding the 419 company? Come out with their name, and address. Wage a serious social media war against them. Let the whole world know how evil they are.[/quot

@machi I support this move.
Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by DWJOBScom(m): 7:50am On Dec 27, 2017
MaziOmenuko:
Yes, u have a strong case. Head to an industrial court and file your case. You may not need the services of a lawyer if you can't afford one. This is a serious breach of contract; forget about the letter they are asking for, they gave you a valid appointment letter stating the conditions of engagement.

For the benefit of others reading:

When you get a new offer, resume immediately! Forget the one month in Lieu nonsense. There is provisions in the labor act for monitizing it. You return one month basic salary to them and move on. Maximum of one week notice is ideal if u are in a position where a comprehensive handover is required.

quite true and and a friend lost one because she insisted on one month for proper handover and she lost that job - so it's best to be careful in our confidence strive....

Another option is to get your annual leave and resume At the new place. Mail them towards the end of the leave and then take two days and return to them to formalise the exit.

Quite true

I prefer a hard copy letter and keep a signed copy. If u must mail, then copy your own private mail
Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by nathanccr(m): 7:55am On Dec 27, 2017
Same work parole landed me in this mess, hoping 2018 will be better angry
Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by pj5(f): 8:06am On Dec 27, 2017
Machi1:
Good day nairalanders,

You have a very good case here and I’ve seen something similar in my work as a lawyer with a firm of Senior Advocate. Your letter of employment arguably creates a contract of employment Between you and the company and it will be unconscionable for the employer to retract after you have acted upon this letter and taking some steps to align with it.

The law will naturally not force an unwilling employer on an unwilling employer but if handled well, you should be entitled to some damages.

Wishing you nothing but the very best.
Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by Nobody: 8:08am On Dec 27, 2017
Part of me wanna say you have a strong case but then this is Nigeria...................................... a judge can call red black ooo. shocked shocked shocked

Plus, even for the best of lawyers, a strong case hasn't necessarily moved from the realm of probability to certainty. Ultimately, the strength of your case depends on three things:

1. The type of conversation/correspondence you had with the company during the recruitment process
2. The terms or conditions attached to your offer letter, some company can fire at will without cause (just saying)
3. Is there a loophole in Nigeria labour laws that the company can exploit?

But then, what choice do you have now other than to sue..... You can't go back to your former employer, and I won't advise, even if you are called, to consider this new one.
Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by Sanchez01: 8:10am On Dec 27, 2017
biacan:
hmmmmmm this is a serious issue but are you in good terms with your previous employer before you left the company.....?
Go to his friends and explain to them beg them to take you to him and promise your employer that you've accepted the cause of your actions and it won't happen again he should give you one last chance GOOD Luck

meanwhile
Official issues are not the same as casual. When you resign from a coy, it is almost impossible to retract the resignation letter, particularly in a situation whereby he gave a time line of 3 weeks. Someone would have probably been hired to fill the void he left behind.

He could get into the previous company but chances are that he might not be given same position as before.

OP, your best bet would be to pursue all legal means. Sadly, you made a mistake. When sending certain emails, which might likely be one's last or one which could become an issue in the nearest future, it is always better to put your personal email address in blind copy. This way, even when your mails are deleted from the company's server, you'd still have copies in your personal email account.

Your best bet would be a legal route. If you know a person or two you sent the mail to in your previous company, kindly place an unofficial across and ask them to assist by forwarding to you, or replying and then change the recipient's address.
Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by israelmao(m): 8:17am On Dec 27, 2017
I am not a lawyer but your appointment letter with all its content is enough evidence to enable you to sue for damages and you're likely to win the case if you can get a good lawyer but this case may drag on and make you jobless for a time.
Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by Sanchez01: 8:18am On Dec 27, 2017
Xtfield:
Why are you shielding the 419 company? Come out with their name, and address. Wage a serious social media war against them. Let the whole world know how evil they are.
I support this. His chances with them are messed up already.

For all we know the HR personnel might have done what she did without the knowledge of certain key players in the company.
Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by Nobody: 8:29am On Dec 27, 2017
cassidy1996:
sorry, I feel for you. please forget about the lawyer thing, concentrate on getting another job and put everything thing GOD'S HANDS

please I want to warn those good Samaritan's out there , mind who you lend money to some people are evil. they will never pay you back and when you ask for your money, they are ready to fight and call you names

we should stop leaving everything in Gods hands. that is why nigeria is what it is today.. God would not come down and fight your battle. he can give you the wisdom to fight if yourself...
Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by just2endowed: 8:30am On Dec 27, 2017
MaziOmenuko:
Yes, u have a strong case. Head to an industrial court and file your case. You may not need the services of a lawyer if you can't afford one. This is a serious breach of contract; forget about the letter they are asking for, they gave you a valid appointment letter stating the conditions of engagement.

When you get a new offer, resume immediately! Forget the one month in Lieu nonsense. There is provisions in the labor act for monitizing it. You return one month basic salary to them and move on. Maximum of one week notice is ideal if u are in a position where a comprehensive handover is required.

Another option is to get your annual leave and resume At the new place. Mail them towards the end of the leave and then take two days and return to them to formalise the exit.

I prefer a hard copy letter and keep a signed copy. If u must mail, then copy your own private mail.

Don't let those bastards get away with this. Sue their ars.e for the entire offer they gave u multiplied by 35 yrs u would have worked for them, include legal fees, inconvenience fee and 12% interest rate pending on when the case will be concluded. Industrial court don don't take that long.

U seems experienced in employee right. Love this
Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by graphiti: 8:37am On Dec 27, 2017
@Flye, bribing d judge na long process. Juss throw some 'coins' to his 'lawyer' and watch him sing a new love song
He'll sell him out yet be collecting appearance fee from him!
@machi1 it is challengeable and u can win. However Nigeria is very corrupt, the court, the judge and your adversary may collaborate to frustrate ur good case. Find a good lawyer, demand for good penalty and split the penalty with your lawyer in an agreed ratio that way u can take care of the bill.
Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by arrestdarrester: 8:38am On Dec 27, 2017
Machi1:
Good day nairalanders,

Like lawyers would say, sue the bastards! Don't give up any original letter of the new employer in your possession. No matter the good reason they give for changing their minds, they have caused you losses and must pay for it.

Start counting the losses that have come to you as a result of the new employer's actions and sue for damages. Secondly, sum it up and add all you are supposed to earn from your old employer till retirement and ask for compensation. Thirdly, see it through with a very good lawyer who knows the right court to handle it.

Go make some dough boy
Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by jukeblam(m): 8:38am On Dec 27, 2017
Don't underestimate the National Industrial Court.
Take your case there and you should get a positive outcome- and on time too.

"Nigeria is not working, Nigeria is not working", doesn't relate to NICN.

Forget sentiments and go legal.

P.S. Avoid the social media name & shame for now- until your case is concluded.
Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by djeezy(m): 8:40am On Dec 27, 2017
@ machi1 you can sue for breach of terms Of Agreement, specific performance and damages. All you need is evidence of what transpired and a good lawyer. A competent court of jurisdiction will handle this matter. I am a lawyer and I know you have a reasonable cause of action.
Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by coconuthead(m): 8:41am On Dec 27, 2017
MaziOmenuko:

I prefer a hard copy letter and keep a signed copy. If u must mail, then copy your own private mail.

Don't let those bastards get away with this. Sue their ars.e for the entire offer they gave u multiplied by 35 yrs u would have worked for them, include legal fees, inconvenience fee and 12% interest rate pending on when the case will be concluded. Industrial court don don't take that long.

Absolutely correct. You took the words from my mouth. There are sufficient legal precedence to make you win this case
Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by Ukeachu1(m): 8:42am On Dec 27, 2017
Machi1:
Good day nairalanders,

Please just tell us the company so we can all avoid them.
Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by Nobody: 8:44am On Dec 27, 2017
biacan:

meanwhile

I'm guessing you're a sit at home internet troll , does this even make sense to you
Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by Boss13: 8:49am On Dec 27, 2017
Xtfield:

I support this. This should be his first step because I don’t understand why a recruiting professional (the offeror) would offer an employment on agreed terms and then renegade on the terms after clear indication that the offeree has dropped his resignation and is in a dilemma. I think the company may be reputable for engaging in such practice.

You have to let the cat out the bag!
Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by Boss13: 8:50am On Dec 27, 2017
neoapocalypse:

I'm guessing you're a sit at home internet troll , does this even make sense to you

The person who made the comment has never worked before. Don’t blame him/her
Re: Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer by webngnews: 9:06am On Dec 27, 2017
Oh

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

When You Leave School, The First Thing On Your To-do List Shouldn't Be NYSC / Graduate Who Sells Food With A Wheelbarrow Reveals She Makes More Than Paidwork / How To Become A Registered Nigerian engineer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.