Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,879 members, 7,810,373 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:52 AM

This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice (34262 Views)

Can One Be Punished In A Work Place Without, Giving Code Of Conduct? / Ebun Okubanjo, Bento Africa's Founder Accused Of Work Place Bullying / How Do I Tackle This At My Work Place? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Jackanda1(m): 7:16am On Jan 13
I recently applied to work in an organisation.

After passing the interview and checks, the management was impressed and decided to hire and give me a major role in the company.

When i asked about the payment for my position, they threw me a popular question;
HOW MUCH DO YOU THINK WE SHOULD PAY YOU?

I gave them a figure in mind, a little above what i got in my former job. Their facial expression was 'WoW'.

I started work on tuesday and after making friends and chating the secretary, i found out that i earn twice less than the staffs in the company in the same position.

Infact, i earn a little more than the gateman and cleaner. The secretary even earns more.

Its my fault, should have done some checks on the strength and salary structure of the firm before applying.

I feel discouraged. With this information, i won't be able fuction properly. Plus this secretary with her loud mouth will spread the news in the company, making me feel worst.

Anyone with this experience? Please console me.

64 Likes 7 Shares

Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Elegantspiker(m): 7:22am On Jan 13
That's why it's always advisable to do a small research on your prospective organisation or institution before applying

94 Likes 3 Shares

Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by obinna58(m): 7:29am On Jan 13
It’s not a problem as long as you’re good at your job, it’ll adjust fast

131 Likes 9 Shares

Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Jackanda1(m): 7:35am On Jan 13
Elegantspiker:
That's why it's always advisable to do a small research on your prospective organisation or institution before applying
The thing pain me wella. I intend to resign soon.

It more painful, cos someone in the management who picked a liking for me when i applied to work there was eyeing me when i mentioned the amount.

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by SharingIsLife(m): 7:37am On Jan 13
Endure it and do your work excellently for 2 months. Work in such a way that you become an INDISPENSABLE member of staff (after all, you're used to low salary).

As you do this, you will be a total surprise to the secretary and anyone else expecting you to be demoralized at work because of your low pay. This is good for workplace politics because people can't really understand you. But this is not the main aim of doing your work so well as I have advised.

This is the main aim: After 2 months, go to the management and ask for a pay raise. If they delay in doing this, submit your resignation letter. And if they ask you why you are leaving, you tell them that you need a pay raise and that you found another job offering you that.

Don't have any atom of fear while doing this as long as you know you have become indispensable to them.

You need to get a pay raise as soon as possible not just because of you yourself but because of other workers. Because the company may decide to reduce other people's pay thinking that they are paying too highly in comparison to other companies.

383 Likes 27 Shares

Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by incandescentena: 7:41am On Jan 13
Do your job and your reward will be given to you in Heaven

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by MisterBanny(m): 7:42am On Jan 13
I feel your pains and I empathize with you. I expected u to have done a little research on the salary scale there even before going for the interview, maybe u weren't too keen on the job anyway. Who goes for an interview without knowing a little about the organization? You are going to be psychologically affected knowing that your colleagues earn twice more than you and even your subordinates earn almost as much as you. It will affect your output terribly. My advise is, u work calmly for a month or two and apply for a pay rise. If they actually see u valuable, they may want u to be on par with ur equals there by increasing your wages .
Have u asked how long ur colleagues have worked there to earn what they are earning currently? Some salaries are due to the longevity of a staff in a particular organization, and not just about paper qualifications

40 Likes 5 Shares

Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Jackanda1(m): 7:47am On Jan 13
Elegantspiker:
I've never felt so pained and defeated. I didn't do any research at all.

I applied on the recommendation of a friend.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Jackanda1(m): 7:51am On Jan 13
incandescentena:
Do your job and your reward will be given to you in Heaven
angry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Bluntguy: 7:58am On Jan 13
It's not always good to suggest what you should be paid by your employers. You should have told them that whatever pay that goes with the position you are applying for is okay by you. This is because the organization already has a payment structure on ground. The payment structure is always based on qualification and experience.

I will advise you just do your job till the end of the month. I am sure you will be paid based on their payment structure. By the way, you should have gotten your employment letter by now and what you would be paid is always specified in it. Good luck bro. Don't feel bad, rather hope for the best.

73 Likes 7 Shares

Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Jackanda1(m): 8:01am On Jan 13
MisterBanny:
I feel your pains and I empathize with you. maybe u weren't too keen on the job anyway. Who goes for an interview without knowing a little about the organization? You are going to be psychologically affected knowing that your colleagues earn twice more than you and even your subordinates earn almost as much as you. My advise is, u work calmly for a month or two and apply for a pay rise. If they actually see u valuable, they may want u to be on par with ur equals there by increasing your wages .
Have u asked how long ur colleagues have worked there to earn what they are earning currently? Some salaries are due to the longevity of a staff in a particular organization, and not just about paper qualifications
A guy who applied recently(my set) earns almost twice my salary.

I applied to alot of firms before getting hired. Didn't do any background checks atall.

I don't feel like going to work on monday. cheesy

5 Likes

Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by DyingFetus: 8:02am On Jan 13
Quit or rope

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Vinnie2000(m): 8:09am On Jan 13
OP, Don't worry, such things happen. smiley

Be Patient and do NOT be greedy.

Just face your Job and do it Diligently.

After a Month, use Humor or diplomatic means to tell your Boss to increase your Salary to the Scale of the other Workers. smiley

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by MisterBanny(m): 8:15am On Jan 13
Jackanda1:
A guy who applied recently(my set) earns almost twice my salary.

I applied to alot of firms before getting hired. Didn't do any background checks atall.

I don't feel like going to work on monday. cheesy

No, u have to go on Monday pls. Many people out there are looking for such opportunity. It will be an act of Cowardice to jettison a job you just got due to such reason. I felt u were somewhat too desperate to secure the job, reason u couldn't strike a proper Salary bargain. Don't be discouraged Bro. Anything can still happen. Be patient

22 Likes 4 Shares

Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Kobicove(m): 8:20am On Jan 13
It's not fair for the company to knowingly pay you less than your subordinates, the fact that you asked for a less amount during the interview stage is irrelevant! undecided

62 Likes 5 Shares

Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Jackanda1(m): 8:35am On Jan 13
MisterBanny:

No, u have to go on Monday pls. Many people out there are looking for such opportunity. It will be an act of Cowardice to jettison a job you just got due to such reason. I felt u were somewhat too desperate to secure the job, reason u couldn't strike a proper Salary bargain. Don't be discouraged Bro. Anything can still happen. Be patient
Youre right I was desperate, couldn't secure a job after a month of hunting.

I can't renegotiate the salary. They told me the nature of the job and asked me how much i wanted and i told them. The amount wasn't forced or imposed on me.

It would be foolish for me to apply for a pay raise. They can simply decline, bringing me down further. I would rather resign.

Cc: Vinnie2000 sharingIslife

5 Likes

Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Yugoslavia247(m): 8:35am On Jan 13
This question is the most talked about issue in job seminar.

Whenever you are asked how much do you think you should be paid?

Best response is please I understand that the company has a payment structure. I would prefer the company payment structure. No matter how bad it is you would never cheated.

You will only earn slightly lesser in worst case scenario.

Sometimes, the company might have a newer payment structure that is higher.

If gate man earns higher than you then wahala dey. You can never function properly.

You will see normal job as overtime.

Better you go to the HR and find out what to do to increase it.

Mention the psychological impact on you.
How others go dey collect 100 u Kon dey collect 50k. U no be slave nah.

No one will respect you in that organization.

43 Likes 3 Shares

Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by MisterBanny(m): 8:57am On Jan 13
Jackanda1:
Youre right I was desperate, couldn't secure a job after a month of hunting.

I can't renegotiate the salary. They told me the nature of the job and asked me how much i wanted and i told them. The amount wasn't forced or imposed on me.

It would be foolish for me to apply for a pay raise. They can simply decline, bringing me down further. I would rather resign.

Cc: Vinnie2000 sharingIslife

Don't resign except u have something better to do pls. Or u still want to go back to joblessness? I advise u work for two or three months, put in your Best and make urself too important and unexpendable , then apply for a Pay rise and it will be granted. I'm so sure about this

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by flokii: 9:01am On Jan 13
Meet the head of HR in the company and seek redress.. you'll explain to them that you didn't have prior knowledge of what their pay was, but now that you know, they should place you properly so you can give your best.
Let them know it's depressing knowing you earn twice as less as your colleagues in same position and you want your salary upgraded to what your peers are getting. shikena.

No gree for anybody this 2024.. they think it's a joke.

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by RomanceMoney(m): 9:24am On Jan 13
Jackanda1:
I recently applied to work in an organisation.

After passing the interview and checks, the management was impressed and decided to hire and give me a major role in the company.

When i asked about the payment for my position, they threw me a popular question;
HOW MUCH DO YOU THINK WE SHOULD PAY YOU?

I gave them a figure in mind, a little above what i got in my former job. Their facial expression was 'WoW'.

I started work on tuesday and after making friends and chating the secretary, i found out that i earn twice less than the staffs in the company in the same position.

Infact, i earn a little more than the gateman and cleaner. The secretary even earns more.

Its my fault, should have done some checks on the strength and salary structure of the firm before applying.

I feel discouraged. With this information, i won't be able fuction properly. Plus this secretary with her loud mouth will spread the news in the company, making me feel worst.

Anyone with this experience? Please console me.

Work For About 6 Months Giving Your Best At Work.

Then, Apply For A Raise in Salary. They Will Understand You And Do Appropriately.

Try To Give Your Best.

2 Likes

Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by RomanceMoney(m): 9:27am On Jan 13
flokii:
Meet the head of HR in the company and seek redress.. you'll explain to them that you didn't have prior knowledge of what their pay was, but now that you know, they should place you properly so you can give your best.
Let them know it's depressing knowing you earn twice as less as your colleagues in same position and you want your salary ugraded to what your peers are getting. shikena.

No gree for anybody this 2024.. they think it's a joke.

This is A Wrong Advise.

It is too sudden and They Would Take Him As Just An Unsatisfied Person.

He Requested For A Pay; And They Gave Him Just What He Requested For.

He should work for some 4 to 6 Months with Full Dedication Before Advancing To Write A Letter For Increment In Salary.

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by RomanceMoney(m): 9:30am On Jan 13
MisterBanny:

Don't resign except u have something better to do pls. Or u still want to go back to joblessness? I advise u work for two or three months, put in your Best and make urself too important and unexpendable , then apply for a Pay rise and it will be granted. I'm so sure about this

Correct.

Just that 2 to 3 Months Is Too Small And Would Seem Too Hasty And Greedy of Him.

He Should Work For Atleast 5 Months Before Trying To Get A Raise. It would have given him enough time to show his worth in the company.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by MisterBanny(m): 9:38am On Jan 13
RomanceMoney:

Correct.

Just that 2 to 3 Months Is Too Small And Would Seem Too Hasty And Greedy of Him.

He Should Work For Atleast 5 Months Before Trying To Get A Raise. It would have given him enough time to show his worth in the company.

Exactly. And within the five months, he should see him as a Staff who is on Probation, then he can put in his Best and assert himself as unexpendable

9 Likes 5 Shares

Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by RomanceMoney(m): 10:02am On Jan 13
MisterBanny:

Exactly. And within the five months, he should see him as a Staff who is on Probation, then he can put in his Best and assert himself as unexpendable

Very Correct.

2 Likes

Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Oche211(m): 10:03am On Jan 13
So the company decided to go with your stated salary and underpaid you?

That's nonsense.
I got a new job sometimes ago and during interview, I was asked the same question. Honestly, I didn't research about their salary. I was stunned for a brief moment until the head of the HR told me that they already have a salary scale and whatever figure I call won't determine my salary. I called a figure and when appointment came, I got more than double of that as my salary.

Same thing happened in my previous work place. When the appointment came, I was offered more than what I stated during the interview.

I expect the company to give you an offer that will match your status or stated role.

I will advice you endure this for some times, let's say like 3 to 6 months or pending when your appointment is confirmed and then you go to the management for salary negotiation.

If they won't do the needful, resign your appointment and move on.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by faceland: 10:15am On Jan 13
You will rise. Face your work.

1 Like

Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Ab025(m): 10:23am On Jan 13
Firstly,
Stop blaming yourself. Regardless of whether you do research or not before joining the company....it is not your fault.

The kind of Human Resource Management practiced in Nigeria is bad.

The question of how much do you want us to pay you should never arise as every role Una company has its salary structure attached to it but the unscrupulous practice of Nigerian HRs is to find a way to pay lower than the salary attached to the role..

Hence they ask you how much do you want to take at the last stage of the interview, hoping that you will mention an amount less than what they normally pay for that role.

My advise - Work hard there for 3 months, then meet the HR Manager. tell the HRM without fear that you feel cheated and conned by the company. On that basis, demand that your pay should be regularised to what is attached to your role in the company's structure. After that conversation, actively commence job searching...and if you get an offer, leave there immediately if they don't up your pay.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by westlius(m): 10:24am On Jan 13
Have they given you employment letter
Most times what you say is different till you see your letter

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by UbanmeUdie: 10:37am On Jan 13
shocked
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Jackanda1(m): 10:51am On Jan 13
westlius:
Have they given you employment letter
Most times what you say is different till you see your letter
No employment letter yet. But i have been told to start work. nlfpmod

2 Likes

Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by ManirBK: 10:52am On Jan 13
nlfpmod your advise is needed here o

1 Like

Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by faceland: 10:54am On Jan 13
RomanceMoney:

This is A Wrong Advise.

It is too sudden and They Would Take Him As Just An Unsatisfied Person.

He Requested For A Pay; And They Gave Him Just What He Requested For.

He should work for some 4 to 6 Months with Full Dedication Before Advancing To Write A Letter For Increment In Salary.

If he works hard (solving problem and not just entitlement mentally), they would increase the salary naturally without any requests.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How Much Is The Starting Salary Of A Dentist In Nigeria? / Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward / Is This A Norm In Nigeria Among Bosses And Masters??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.