Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,739 members, 7,809,832 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:40 PM

Why So Many Women Still Take Their Husband’s Last Name - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why So Many Women Still Take Their Husband’s Last Name (29142 Views)

Wife Stabs Senior Wife To Death In Ondo Over Sex Turn With Their Husband / Do Wives Owe Their Husband Sex ? / Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why So Many Women Still Take Their Husband’s Last Name by kokomilala(m): 12:05pm On Dec 28, 2017
@ladyhyppolyta88, you women are up in arms against God's established culture. If a woman drops her father's name, that doesn't make her a slave neither does make her less human. You women are going your own way, leading your life apart from God. The rate of women killing their husbands has increased exponentially in the last couple of years, because you're challenging a supposed unjust status quo.
Re: Why So Many Women Still Take Their Husband’s Last Name by Bestchisom(m): 12:06pm On Dec 28, 2017
flyca:
Changing to my husband's name is not too feasible for me.
That will mean changing all the names in all my docs.
Thankfully, my oga understands that it has nothing to do with feminism or what not. Just feasibility.
what was ur transfer fee? .....cos i dnt see a reason why u will spend close to 1m to pay for bride price and she still bears d name of d seller....pls dnt quote me wrong....jst said my mind...
Re: Why So Many Women Still Take Their Husband’s Last Name by Gerrard59(m): 12:16pm On Dec 28, 2017
FrenchWay:
Me wey be guy sef... If Dangote or Otedola gimme him daughter; I go even change my surname to their own.
My name Haliru Dutsinma go turn to Haliru Otedola

grin grin

Economic reasons is why most women change their family name to the husband's.
Re: Why So Many Women Still Take Their Husband’s Last Name by flyca: 12:17pm On Dec 28, 2017
Bestchisom:

what was ur transfer fee? .....cos i dnt see a reason why u will spend close to 1m to pay for bride price and she still bears d name of d seller....pls dnt quote me wrong....jst said my mind...
Actually, 1M is chicken change to me. I have two international passports - with almost full pages, visa to over 40 countries. I have two degress outside Nigeria, many certifications from Europe and Asia. I also have two international awards. And I'm not looking for people like you that view a woman from the money prism. #justsaying undecided

Cc: Pataricatering
I'm not gonna argue with you kiss

1 Like

Re: Why So Many Women Still Take Their Husband’s Last Name by Bestchisom(m): 12:51pm On Dec 28, 2017
flyca:

Actually, 1M is chicken change to me. I have two international passports - with almost full pages, visa to over 40 countries. I have two degress outside Nigeria, many certifications from Europe and Asia. I also have two international awards. And I'm not looking for people like you that view a woman from the money prism. #justsaying undecided
welldone ma....can u gve me one of ur certificate or visa u r nt making use of again....#jst_asking
Re: Why So Many Women Still Take Their Husband’s Last Name by paulbets: 1:00pm On Dec 28, 2017
fedorahat:

That is because the objective of marriage as it is meant to be, has been defeated.
Marriage was meant to be the union of a male and female coming together to become one, and become a creator. You become bonded in flesh and in spirit.
You become one spirit in two vessels.

What we have this days is civil union, because marriage is far deeper than what is going on this days.
I agree with you.
Thank you for the explanation. smiley

1 Like

Re: Why So Many Women Still Take Their Husband’s Last Name by Pataricatering(f): 1:15pm On Dec 28, 2017
And Islamic culture is your traditional culture abi ?
BeansAndBread:
I think this is caused because we've over adopted the Western Culture. I'll speak for Islam only; Islamically a woman bears her father's name even after marriage. So you'll find in many strict Islamic countries women despite after marriage still bear names like Zainab bint Mu'awiyah(Zainab daughter of Mu'awiyah).

So we need to do away with the Western Culture and adopt the Islamic one grin I know some people will pounce on me but that's the hard reality, we're still under the clutches of colonialism.

1 Like

Re: Why So Many Women Still Take Their Husband’s Last Name by Pataricatering(f): 1:17pm On Dec 28, 2017
Men and women are equal but unique !
free2ryhme:
always the feminists card

these women sha !

they are quick to forget that men and women are not equal but unique in their own way and it is not about superiority.

yet they end up using their own father's name so who is a man, so who is fooling who ?

1 Like

Re: Why So Many Women Still Take Their Husband’s Last Name by MightySparrow: 1:18pm On Dec 28, 2017
BeansAndBread:
I think this is caused because we've over adopted the Western Culture. I'll speak for Islam only; Islamically a woman bears her father's name even after marriage. So you'll find in many strict Islamic countries women despite after marriage still bear names like Zainab bint Mu'awiyah(Zainab daughter of Mu'awiyah).

So we need to do away with the Western Culture and adopt the Islamic one grin I know some people will pounce on me but that's the hard reality, we're still under the clutches of colonialism.

You are right we should do away with Western culture but culture itself is dynamic
. There was a time when Islam was an evolving culture. Then others like Western came and is influencing every other culture: dressing, music, politics, commerce etc.
We do not really need to look back but forward.
There is actually nothing we can do against the moving tide of cultural change.
Re: Why So Many Women Still Take Their Husband’s Last Name by Pataricatering(f): 1:22pm On Dec 28, 2017
It has a lot to do with feminism, don’t get it twisted ! Whether you agree with feminism or not you can’t argue with the fact that it has made women’s status and lives more valuable ! That you can even think of keeping your name and your husband accepting it !Before you would have jumped through fire , over mountains and streams to do everything necessary to change to your husbands name - society would just not accept it any other way !
!
flyca:
Changing to my husband's name is not too feasible for me.
That will mean changing all the names in all my docs.
Thankfully, my oga understands that it has nothing to do with feminism or what not. Just feasibility.
Re: Why So Many Women Still Take Their Husband’s Last Name by introvertme: 1:30pm On Dec 28, 2017
DuBLINGreenb:
Carry your feminism to the Muslim and Arab world. All these women once you give them chance they want chances.
We say wear what you like they are now going naked,
We gave them assurance they must get atleast 30% in every sphere of life now they want everything some pity us and say 50/50,
We say you can keep your father's last name now they want to keep it and dump our names.
We gave them deaconess and some gave them bishop now they want female pope.

In the Arab world it was just yesterday women were allowed to start driving cars? You people should go there and free your sisters.

It should not be a rule that you should not bear your husbands last name but if you want to do it personally fine, na you and ur husband sabi but don't do as if it is punishment.
Surely if your name is already globally recognised your husband will understand with you this is not issue to campaign about.

I've been saying it since,make all these stupid feminist carry their sharp mouth go Muslim country.

1 Like

Re: Why So Many Women Still Take Their Husband’s Last Name by aremuforlife(m): 1:30pm On Dec 28, 2017
[color=#000099][/color][code][/code]
[/quote][quote author=MightySparrow post=63682091]

You are right we should do away with Western culture but culture itself is dynamic
. There was a time when Islam was an evolving culture. Then others like Western came and is influencing every other culture: dressing, music, politics, commerce etc.
We do not really need to look back but forward.
There is actually nothing we can do against the moving tide of cultural change.

If we are to do away with western culture, then it needs to include Arabian culture too. Be they both pollute our culture and tradition
Africa has their own culture that needs to be respected, the only way you can identify a married woman in Africa is for her to change her father's name to her husband name.
Re: Why So Many Women Still Take Their Husband’s Last Name by flyca: 1:33pm On Dec 28, 2017
Bestchisom:

welldone ma....can u gve me one of ur certificate or visa u r nt making use of again....#jst_asking
Sorry dear, I'm using all of them kiss

1 Like

Re: Why So Many Women Still Take Their Husband’s Last Name by Bestchisom(m): 2:12pm On Dec 28, 2017
flyca:
Sorry dear, I'm using all of them kiss
ok ma....in case u want to throw anyone away...jst inform me...
Re: Why So Many Women Still Take Their Husband’s Last Name by Pearl05(f): 2:23pm On Dec 28, 2017
carinmom:
My family's name is equally important, I just can't imagine myself discarding it and adopting someone's name. What if the marriage did not work?

Why would you enter into marriage having doubts of it's working?

1 Like

Re: Why So Many Women Still Take Their Husband’s Last Name by ivolt: 2:25pm On Dec 28, 2017
LegitBoy:
Mr. Man please cut us the slack, how can you bring religion into this? Who told you adoption of a husband's name upon marriage is a foreign innovation in Africa? You're the one placing the foreign ideas too high. In Yorubaland from time immemorial, it has been the cusom that upon marriage a woman drops her father's name for her husband's.
Stop saying what you don't know, the fact that there was no formal documentation before the colonialists came doesn't mean we dont have it.

I wouldnt if you hold that we dont eat before the white men came.

Provide eivdence for your claim. Without documentation needs, the concept of maiden
name becomes meaningless.

I am not aware of any written Yoruba document before the British came.
Dropping of maiden name was entirely a British affair before their former colonies
adopted similar practise which many are now defending as if their lives depends on it.
Re: Why So Many Women Still Take Their Husband’s Last Name by ivolt: 2:28pm On Dec 28, 2017
free2ryhme:

what does you own village custom dictates about wives maiden ?

when you find out let us know cheesy

My village dictates no such custom because it was never an issue
until we adopted the white man's culture.
Re: Why So Many Women Still Take Their Husband’s Last Name by free2ryhme: 2:37pm On Dec 28, 2017
ivolt:

My village dictates no such custom because it was never an issue
until we adopted the white man's culture.

so which surname is your mum bearing, her father's or her husband's?

dont forget both are men grin

1 Like

Re: Why So Many Women Still Take Their Husband’s Last Name by sonofthunder: 2:44pm On Dec 28, 2017
Berlyn1:
I am Just here to read comments. ...ignore me grin
Re: Why So Many Women Still Take Their Husband’s Last Name by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 3:22pm On Dec 28, 2017
Bahddo:
then don't let anyone pay or receive any bride price or whatever, for you. Else, you are being sold and bought, whether you like it or not.
Don't worry about that I gave one poster a detailed explanation that brideprice is not accepted in my family so no problem no one is purchasing me.
Re: Why So Many Women Still Take Their Husband’s Last Name by Martin0(m): 3:40pm On Dec 28, 2017
Ladyhippolyta88:
Don't worry about that I gave one poster a detailed explanation that brideprice is not accepted in my family so no problem no one is purchasing me.
Ladyhippolyta88:

Exactly!
I don join dey queque
Re: Why So Many Women Still Take Their Husband’s Last Name by Martin0(m): 3:40pm On Dec 28, 2017
Ladyhippolyta88:

Ladyhippolyta88:

Exactly!
I don join dey queque
Re: Why So Many Women Still Take Their Husband’s Last Name by DJperdurabo: 3:58pm On Dec 28, 2017
Ladyhippolyta88:
Everybody has a choice.As for me my surname stays the highest I can do is to add his if he wants it.But that surname that goes well with my name is going nowhere it stays even after marriage.

Have you seen this movie "The Antichrist"?

Not the 2009 movie but the 1974 movie. Do watch it and you'd understand why I asked you to.
Re: Why So Many Women Still Take Their Husband’s Last Name by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 4:01pm On Dec 28, 2017
DJperdurabo:

Have you seen this movie "The Antichrist"?

Not the 2009 movie but the 1974 movie. Do watch it and you'd understand why I asked you to.
I don't watch such kind of movies so you summarize and explain to me and I won't base my life decision on a movie.It is my life not their's.
Re: Why So Many Women Still Take Their Husband’s Last Name by Nobody: 4:55pm On Dec 28, 2017
BeansAndBread:

Not making sense. Islamic culture was imported also....from the Middle East.
Re: Why So Many Women Still Take Their Husband’s Last Name by Nobody: 5:01pm On Dec 28, 2017
I would like a situation where women can keep a parent's name even after marriage. The name changing tradition after marriage is sexist.
Re: Why So Many Women Still Take Their Husband’s Last Name by ivolt: 5:13pm On Dec 28, 2017
kokomilala:
@ladyhyppolyta88, you women are up in arms against God's established culture.
God's structure? a weak argument used by those who have nothing to say.
Dropping maiden name is a British culture and has nothing to do with your particular god.

If a woman drops her father's name, that doesn't make her a slave neither does make her less human.
A woman not dropping her maiden name does not make you more manly than you already
are, so quite the ego trip. Are your children bearing your name not enough?

You women are going your own way, leading your life apart from God. The rate of women killing their husbands has increased exponentially in the last couple of years, because you're challenging a supposed unjust status quo.
Where is the evidence for your claim?
Do you think everybody here is an illiterate, that you can just make up
baseless figures to prove a point?

You make a rule that suit your ego then justify it with god, we can safely conclude that
you are the same person as the god you are using to back up your arguments.
Re: Why So Many Women Still Take Their Husband’s Last Name by ivolt: 5:14pm On Dec 28, 2017
Danrizzle:
I would like a situation where women can keep a parent's name even after marriage. The name changing tradition after marriage is sexist.
You are right, changing name after marriage is a British culture which
African men now champions.
Re: Why So Many Women Still Take Their Husband’s Last Name by kokomilala(m): 5:34pm On Dec 28, 2017
@ivolt, this is no trip on ego. With all the much vaunted needless battles of the sexes, where have they led their apostles? There's a conscious attempt to shift social paradigms, to upturn existing orders whether you agree or not. Or, whether you choose to be in denial. Some yrs back, in the US, some feminist movements questioned the authority of the Bible. Why the masculine pronoun, He, should be used for God, and so on and so forth.
Concerning women killing their husbands, I don't need to put up facts here, but, it's street knowledge. It was first rife around VGC, then Festac and other places. Of course, this is subjective, but that doesn't invalidate it.
The world would become a better place if people know their place and not try to be what they are not.
Re: Why So Many Women Still Take Their Husband’s Last Name by farem: 6:57pm On Dec 28, 2017
BeansAndBread:
My mum doesn't bear my dad's name

It remains your sisters, aunts and your daughters. When you have accomplished the aforementioned, we may consider your idea.
Re: Why So Many Women Still Take Their Husband’s Last Name by Bahddo(m): 6:57pm On Dec 28, 2017
Ladyhippolyta88:
if it's true, that's very commendable.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Am I Wrong To Want To Marry A Rich Man? / What Is My Duty As A Married Woman? Help! / Can This Be How Generational Curses Begin?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.