Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,036 members, 7,818,060 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:22 AM

Uk Election On May 6; With Polls - Foreign Affairs (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Uk Election On May 6; With Polls (8164 Views)

Poll: Which party would you vote for

Labour: 50% (14 votes)
Conservatives: 14% (4 votes)
Lib Derms: 32% (9 votes)
UKIP: 0% (0 votes)
BNP: 3% (1 vote)
Green party: 0% (0 votes)
Others: 0% (0 votes)
This poll has ended

Ben Carson Now Joint Top With Trump In US GOP Polls After AntiMuslim Comments / Ben Carson Surges In Polls After Debate Performance / Uk Election Called - May 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by Nobody: 1:47am On Apr 10, 2010
The Right-Wing Resurrection

Conservatives rule almost all of Europe. What they will do with all their power is an open question.

With Silvio Berlusconi regaining power in Italy, Europe's right-wing parties can look out proudly on a continent they control. From north to south and east to west, Europe is painted blue. Social democrats hold ministers' jobs in coalition governments in Germany and the Netherlands, but governments there are headed by the right. Just three of the European Union member states—Britain, Spain and Portugal—are governed exclusively by the left. The arrival of Gianni Alemanno, a post-fascist politician, as mayor of Rome and the good showing of Boris Johnson, the populist Tory Euro-skeptic, as mayor of London completes the triumphant march of the European right into the corridors of power. In Brussels, a successful attempt by the conservative president of the European Commission, José Manuel Barroso, to become president of the European Union at the expense of the left's leading contender, Tony Blair, would further confirm the dominance of Europe's conservatives as the continent's political masters. (A decision is expected later this year.)

Not since the 19th-century concert of nations, when reactionary conservatives like Metternich, Talleyrand and Wellington stamped hard on liberal and proto-labor politics that challenged kings and emperors, has Europe seen so many right-wing politicians ruling the roost.

A decade ago it seemed very different. A majority of Europe's countries had center-left parties in power. Bill Clinton genially presided over gatherings of Blair, France's Lionel Jospin, Germany's Gerhard Schröder and Sweden's Goran Persson to pontificate grandly on progressive governance. But these left-liberal talkfests produced no enduring political program or vision. True, some center-left leaders like Blair can point to job creation and growth. But they managed only to manage, not change, their nations. The 1968 generation found itself in office but uncertain how to use government power to make its wishes reality.

But now that Europe's conservatives have won so much power, what are they going to do with it? The answer, alas, appears to be not much. Postwar conservatism had big leaders with a clear sense of destiny, like Churchill in Britain, de Gaulle in France and Adenauer in West Germany. They had their differences and limitations but exuded a sense of authority and belief in a value system shaped by the horrors of the first half of the last century. These conservatives created social capitalism, resisted communism and upheld Roman Catholicism and Judeo-Christian values. The big thinkers of the day, like Friedrich von Hayek, showed the futility of the state's seeking to own and plan the economy. Raymond Aron stood as a tolerant rock against admiration for Stalin and Mao by intellectuals and French and Italian communists. Conservative Catholics like Jean Monnet and Robert Schuman created the European Common Market and forced the liberalization of economies, which allowed Europe to post growth rates between 1950 and 1975 that we now see only in Asia. Conservatives forged an Atlantic alliance and ignored the anti-American ideologues who argued that NATO equaled U.S. control of Europe.

Today's conservatives running Europe have plenty of ministerial limousines, but they have no leaders, thinkers or philosophies. European capitalism is atrophying. France's Nicolas Sarkozy replaced Jacques Chirac with the pledge to make people work harder and longer so France would again be the nation of Enrichissez-vous! (Get rich!), the injunction of bourgeois France in the 19th century. But Sarkozy is a disappointment. He jet-sets around the world with his stunning wife, Carla, but growth is dropping in France. Every time a market-opening reform is proposed, like having more taxis in Paris or allowing competition among pharmacies, France's vested interests block it. Sarkozy is repeating the mistake of all his predecessors by trying to borrow his way out of trouble.

Germany has recovered its zest for exports, but this is largely due to the tough medicine imposed by Schröder; he held down wages to allow investment to take place. His successor, Angela Merkel, has no idea how to change Germany's thinking to reduce the 4 million-strong unemployment queue. Berlusconi has already had two attempts at applying his business brio to Italy's economy and government, which cannot even get rubbish off the streets of Naples. Third time lucky? No one in Italy is counting on it. Instead, his mid-April victory was followed two weeks later by the election of Alemanno, the first right-winger to become mayor of Rome in decades. His plan for the city includes expelling 20,000 foreign undesirables.
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by ElRazur: 4:09am On Apr 10, 2010
osaass:

@El razor

Yet again you display you gutter ignorance in a public forum. You went to the shameful extent but uttering the despicable phrase of "jesus freaking christ"!!You think you are a white man and so has the licence to use our Lords name in vain. May your sins rise against you.

Utter drivel and as about as relevance to this discussion as the weather in Ogbomosho to the price of tea in China. smiley

You blabbed on and on regarding the british press and in the end made no sense. Your intention i know is to launch an attack against whatever position i take, but NEWS FLASH you remain an amateur when it comes to that.

Sir, you claimed the British or UK press is right-winged, I showed it isn't by pointing at the stance of the widely read newspapers and tabloid press in the UK. I suppose your inability to understand simple basic explanation is probably getting in the way again. Even someone who is not in the UK appears to doubt your claims. smiley

So you call the sun, times, and maybe news of the world left wing paper??.

No sir, read my post again. I called The Times more Centred but more aligned towards right [I.e Centred but share a view or two that is seen as right leaning views]. This do not make it a right winged newspaper. Just the same way you can have a media outlet that is Centred but share one or two views that is seen as leaning towards the left. Get it? It ain't rocket science sir.

For the record, News of the world is a tabloid press and as a result it wasn't founded on Serious Journalism. Check out the type of language and structures used in their report, it is aimed more at Builders, house-wives, Joe on the street and what not. But then, I am guessing you probably can't tell the difference in the way the articles are written.

Are you ok? Who owns these papers? Do you know what news corps stand for? In terms of readership most of the national dailies [broadsheet and tabloids] are left leaning.

Says a man who do not know a joke. I am sure you wouldn't know what is leaning right/left from what is centred and leaning or sharing a view or two from the left or right.

The ownership of the newspaper means poo in this discussion. Remember, this is about your claim, so let us stay on focus and not TROLL. So what if it was bought by an ex KGB, what does that have to do with the Price of cement in Lokoja? Or are you just grasping for points now? undecided

The exception is the guardian. Others would have been the daily mirror and the independent but they are dying newspaper. The former was recently bailed out by the ex-KGB agent for £1

Again the Guardian is a centred but sharing views from the left. How hard is that to comprehend? A quick check reveal this you know.

And YES i say it again that most main land Europe is right leaning. That goes from the Berlusoni government in Italy[ he heads a centre right coalition and his party has been attacked on numerous occasions for fanning anti-immigrant sentiments]

So let us go back to basic Geography and mathematics [or in your case Arithmetic]. Mainland Europe or Continental Europe have about how many countries inside it again? From the top of my head, about double figures - 30plus or so - Yet you stated one example. Again Jeez, how is that a true representation of things? Gosh, speaking of ignorance and all that.  smiley

Nicolas Sarkozy; was accused as the most divisive minister of interior in france before ascending the throne as the president.His party the UMP is a centre-right political party founded in 2002 by jacques chirac.
I can keep on and on but in my next post i will paste an extract from news week magazine on the rise of right wing government in europe. The article is from 2008 but quite contemporary.

So you ended up contradicting yourself. It should be expected. You have claimed that the Mainland Europe is Right winged, yet in your own post above it stated that it is a "Centre right". [Even though this is an accusation, but let us all play along] Surely, this do not make them 100% right wing like you are suggesting. If anything it means they are centred but share views that are right leaning.  undecided

I know you find these things confusing, but once you understand the basics of English and word usage in politics perhaps you will understand things better. In the mean time, quit misinforming people or pretending to know.  smiley

As it stand, you are yet to prove that UK media is right winged or have you proved that Mainland Europe are right winged too. It will be interesting to see you focus on that instead of posting more drivel. smiley
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by thameamead(f): 12:24pm On Apr 10, 2010
A vote for the Lib-Dems is not a wasted vote, they have 62 MP's in parliament, they are a small party and ignored by the right wing media, The Sun referred to the Lib Dems Vince Cable as hopeless and irrelevant because they are worried it might be a hung parlament, The same Sun newspaper was singing praising of Vince Cable during the recession. The Lib Dems were the
1st to defeng the Gurkad
1st to ask the speaker to go
1st to warn about debt
1st to see the bank crisis coming

THE SUN, THE NEWS OF THE WORLD and SKY NEWS ( sky news should be balanced in their reporting re election but they are not) have all endorsed David Cameron because they are under NEWS INTERNATIONAL which is owned by Rubert Murdoch who wants to cut the size of the BBC to suit commercial interests of News International, that is the main reason why they are backing David Cameron.

The Conservative party
called for less regulation of the bank
they voted against family tax credits
they voted aganst minimum wage

Mr Cameron is all spin, i hope u quietlt falls under his election coach.

The labour party should have replaced Gordon with David Mlliband, Gordon Brown is not likeable at all, he looks like a lemon sucker
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by ElRazur: 12:36pm On Apr 10, 2010
thameamead:

A vote for the Lib-Dems is not a wasted vote, they have 62 MP's in parliament, they are a small party and ignored by the right wing media, The Sun referred to the Lib Dems Vince Cable as hopeless and irrelevant because they are worried it might be a hung parlament, The same Sun newspaper was singing praising of Vince Cable during the recession.

This is why I am not taking the whole views of the Rupert Murdoch Empire serious at all. He will lose out eventually, no one man weighs such enormous influence without heading in a head collision with the society. He is doing what I have accused the other political party of doing - Looking after their own interest and as such not that of the people. I for once will like to see sky cut down to size. I was jumping with joy when OFCOM ruled against their pricing policy recently - not that I have sky, but anything to show Rupert he ain't above the law is good in my books.

The Lib Dems were the
1st to defeng the Gurkad
1st to ask the speaker to go
1st to warn about debt
1st to see the bank crisis coming

I have always respected the Libdem, but they really do not get the support they need IMO. It is funny how other parties now jump on the bandwagon as per the Gurkahs fiasco. Shameful really.

THE SUN, THE NEWS OF THE WORLD and SKY NEWS ( sky news should be balanced in their reporting re election but they are not) have all endorsed David Cameron because they are under NEWS INTERNATIONAL which is owned by Rubert Murdoch who wants to cut the size of the BBC to suit commercial interests of News International, that is the main reason why they are backing David Cameron.

IMO, the majority of the UK poluation see through this, but Labour have messed things up so much that they may lose the election by a few votes come may 6.

The Conservative party
called for less regulation of the bank
they voted against family tax credits
they voted aganst minimum wage

Mr Cameron is all spin, i hope u quietlt falls under his election coach.

I really do not trust him or find him "inviting" if you see what I mean, but then Labour have messed up things so much that one is forced to look at the Conservatives and find something to like about them. Damn you labour.

The labour party should have replaced Gordon with David Mlliband, Gordon Brown is not likeable at all, he looks like a lemon sucker

Agreed.
I said this earlier on, I am of the belief that David Milliband will eventually be the one to lead Labour, especially if they lose this election.
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by thameamead(f): 12:38pm On Apr 10, 2010
ElRazur:

@jesoul.

You do have a point. The UK media appears to get personal and just nasty. This can weigh and sway the influence and opinion of the public towards or against a party.

The media seems to be turning it into a beauty contest, as for Sam Cameron, she is sooooo fake, i have heard her speak, she speaks posh so please my people don't fall for that her am- normal -like- u -all -fake accent. she's lives a live of luxury so do i but i don't pretend, she designs a £800 bag for a luxury brand, she's got a live in-nanny so do i so don't fall for her and her husband claims that they put their children to bed blah blah blah blah bah. My husband is friends with the friends of David and Cameron, they even asked him to donate, he wanted to but i asked him not to, i told him, he will not hear from them again once they get to number 10,
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by ElRazur: 12:43pm On Apr 10, 2010
thameamead:

The media seems to be turning it into a beauty contest, as for Sam Cameron, she is sooooo fake, i have heard her speak, she speaks posh so please my people don't fall for that her am- normal -like- u -all -fake accent. she's lives a live of luxury so do i but i don't pretend, she designs a £800 bag for a luxury brand, she's got a live in-nanny so do i so don't fall for her and her husband claims that they put their children to bed blah blah blah blah bah. My husband is friends with the friends of David and Cameron, they even asked him to donate, he wanted to but i asked him not to, i told him, he will not hear from them again once they get to number 10,

Remember, Gordon took a jibe at him that he went to Eaton lol. As it stand Dave is a Millionaire and to try and even come across like he knows what it is like to walk in our shoes is an insult imo.
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by thameamead(f): 12:50pm On Apr 10, 2010
ElRazur:

Remember, Gordon took a jibe at him that he went to Eaton lol. As it stand Dave is a Millionaire and to try and even come across like he knows what it is like to walk in our shoes is an insult imo.

I do not have a problem with wealthy/rich people but i hate it when they pretend to live in the real world, am not from a rich family but my husband is wealthy but i know my placeee. David Cameron has no experience of real life, he was born with a silver spoon oh no gold spoon in his mouth,
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by Nobody: 12:53pm On Apr 10, 2010
I'd really like to vote for the Lib Dems but lets be honest here Nick Clegg isn't going to win.
Not this time at least.

I didn't watch the TV debate a few days ago but the general concensus was Vince Cable murked it.
Nick Clegg won me over when he made a comment about people who live in the home counties like my humble self.
On fuel duty, I note the government’s decision to stage increases, but they are missing the point. There is a fundamental problem with fuel duty in rural areas where using a car is not a luxury but a necessity. The real priority should be help for rural areas, not just a reprieve
http://www.libdems.org.uk/news_detail.aspx?title=Budget_2010%3A_Nick_Clegg's_speech_in_full&pPK=824f7747-aa33-4fd3-81dd-180f6d52fa45

The above comment is bang on point. Unfortunately for him and his party, I don't see them causing any stir.
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by thameamead(f): 1:01pm On Apr 10, 2010
OMO IBO:

I'd really like to vote for the Lib Dems but lets be honest here Nick Clegg isn't going to win.
Not this time at least.

I didn't watch the TV debate a few days ago but the general concensus was Vince Cable murked it.
Nick Clegg won me over when he made a comment about people who live in the home counties like my humble self.http://www.libdems.org.uk/news_detail.aspx?title=Budget_2010%3A_Nick_Clegg's_speech_in_full&pPK=824f7747-aa33-4fd3-81dd-180f6d52fa45
st
The above comment is bang on point. Unfortunately for him and his party, I don't see them causing any stir.

Could you be darling and vote for him please. Every vote counts dearie, if more people vote for him, we might have a hung parlamement. Rome was not built in one day but he's strong and a fighter, i hate the way he's heckled @ Prime Ministers Question, did you watch his performance in the last Prime Ministers Question? he makes more sense than David Cameron.
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by ElRazur: 1:04pm On Apr 10, 2010
thameamead:

I do not have a problem with wealthy/rich people but i hate it when they pretend to live in the real world, am not from a rich family but my husband is wealthy but i know my placeee. David Cameron has no experience of real life, he was born with a silver spoon oh no gold spoon in his mouth,

That is the point I was trying to make. grin

@OMOIBO
If I have to vote on the basis of one policy only, I am sure that will be a deal breaker, but as it stand other parties have a few things here and there that are of interest. I will really like to see Libdem get bigger in the coming years, their policies are something that I really do like, but since they will not make much changes at this point in time, I suppose the whole idea is to vote for them so as to get to that level, but then what is to stop them from changing and become like the big two? grin
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by Nobody: 1:09pm On Apr 10, 2010
@ ElRazur

You again my friend have shown your self a halfwit comedian. I have said your talent is best utilized in the jokes section. I give up. Your case is incorrigible. You would argue with anything even your shadow.
Are you ok? I ask again. I GAVE YOU FACTS to counter your false assertion on the current political ideology in Europe, you instead of apologizing for your errors come out with fiction and more untruths. You are not only petty but a con artist.
You mischievously ignored the article pointed at above which clearly showed that europe is clearly to the right. Whether right- wing, leaning or centred is all nonsensical in this discussion. We all know people come to the middle to appeal more to the population yet their mind set is all about nationalism, xenophobia and anti-welfare state.
I refuse to foolishly quote you word for word as you annoyingly are doing for everyones post. Someone surely is on cloud cuckoo land.
You certainly dont read my sensible comments above; because if you do you would know that a lot of the issues that apparently has got you delirious have already been explained.
I repeat for the umpteenth time. The uk MEDIA [ I EVEN WENT TO THE EXTENT OF SAYING THE BROADSHEETS AND TABLOID] IS MAINLY RIGHT WING [again whether leaning, centred, wing or "lap" grin grin]. I did not refer to any of the minor localized dailies, i meant the national ones young man. For your information they include;

1.the daily express; a conservative right wing paper
2. the daily mail; similar to the express
3. daily star; right wing tabloid which specializes in undressed models
4. daily telegraph; a conservative broadsheet
5. evening standard; published with collaboration of the daily mail. an evening newspaper
6. times; conservative, oldest uk newspaper
7.sun; we all know where they stand
8. news of the world; sunday version of the sun

These are amongst the most read dialies in the country and massively influence public opinion. Go into any office in uk, pub, buses, trains, find out which papers people normally read, almost exclsively it includes one of these.
The last 3 above including sky news is owned by Mr Mudoch who over the years has left no one in doubt on his political leaning. His paper the sun is acclaimed to have helped the conservatives win at least 3 elections right from the 80s even when the odds were stacked against them heavily.

I will leave out the issue of europe as you realize that you have lost the arguement and desperately hanging on to straws in a bid to save face. grin grin grin grin
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by Nobody: 1:14pm On Apr 10, 2010
OMO IBO:

Not this time at least.

Nick Clegg won me over when he made a comment about people who live in the home counties like my humble self.http://www.libdems.org.uk/news_detail.aspx?title=Budget_2010%3A_Nick_Clegg's_speech_in_full&pPK=824f7747-aa33-4fd3-81dd-180f6d52fa45

I believe the forth coming leaders debate would if anything benefit the lib derms more than the larger two parties. They normally stand no chance of producing a PM and have not done so for years. A good showing by mr clegg may well set the cats amongst the pigeons.
People at present are fed up with politics and politicians especially after the expenses debacle. They may make a protest vote for the lib derms [if the debates go well as it did during the chancellor/shadow cabinet ones]. Protest votes by labour voters produced 2 bnp euro legislators.
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by ElRazur: 1:15pm On Apr 10, 2010
@Ossass.
Empty barrel they say, it makes the loudest noise.

You are yet to prove anything. Take time to read what was posted and take time to come back with something worthy of a reply. smiley

The UK media is not right wing. Why? Please refer back to my original post addressing the issue. smiley

Come on now, The SUN and News of the World a right wing news paper?  Do you even know what you are saying?

Yes, best leave the issue of Europe out, you clearly are not making any sense. For the record, mainland Europe is far from being right wing like you claimed. Even someone who is not in UK appears to doubt your claim. Nice. smiley
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by thameamead(f): 1:19pm On Apr 10, 2010
This is why I am not taking the whole views of the Rupert Murdoch Empire serious at all. He will lose out eventually, no one man weighs such enormous influence without heading in a head collision with the society. He is doing what I have accused the other political party of doing - Looking after their own interest and as such not that of the people. I for once will like to see sky cut down to size. I was jumping with joy when OFCOM ruled against their pricing policy recently - not that I have sky, but anything to show Rupert he ain't above the law is good in my books.

It's SHOCKING  that one man can have such power to be able to own 4 newspapers and a 24 hr news channnel. I would also like to see the size of News International cut down, he wants to control Australia, UK and US.
in the uk he controls

SKY NEWS
THE SUN
THE NEWS OF THE WORLD
THE TIMES
SUNDAY TIMES

in the united states
WALL STREET JOURNAL
NEW YORK POST
FOX NEWS

Rupert Murdoch endorsed the labour party in the last three elections to suit his commercial interest, now his media outlets are endorsing the Conservatives for more commercial interest. God Help us. We all need to stand up to News International and not vote for the tories but half of the bristish public are far too daft to know what's going on despite Fox News backing John McCain, Obama won so am hoping for the best for this country.
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by Nobody: 1:26pm On Apr 10, 2010
ElRazur:

@Ossass.
Empty barrel they say, it makes the loudest noise.

No my friend. This barrel is not only knowledgeable but sane. It is trying desperately to educate the other barrel, but so far, the latter is quite resistant to change. But i will break you at the end and take the wool for your eyes. If that is my achievement on nairaland i can well beat my chest. We surely cannot allow you to display this ignorance in the wider public.

ElRazur:

Come on now, The SUN and News of the World a right wing news paper?  Do you even know what you are saying?

Yes again they are both right wing papers. I am amazed why you remain confused on this issue. For someone like you who claim to be vast on uk politics it is puzzling how you are getting this all wrong.
There are millions of materials our there, even on the internet that answers your question. Even when you call the suns publishers they would be happy to confirm they are part of the right wing press.

Check out these please. Hope it helps. And yet again you have been exposed on another issue. You are clearly unarmed to continue with this battle of wits.

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081116075649AAdYKO9
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by ElRazur: 1:27pm On Apr 10, 2010
@Thamesmead

Yeah it is frightening isn't? He is virally everywhere and have influences from what we see on our tv, sports, down to finance etc.

To think that some of his media outlets are labelled as "Right wing" is laughable to be honest.

Personally, I will love to see the Anti-monopoly trust - most likely from the EU take a look at his Media activities, I am sure it is not healthy and the amount of powers concentrated in the hands of one man cannot be good for us all. He can hold us all to ransom whenever he wants for his interest and motives.
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by thameamead(f): 1:32pm On Apr 10, 2010
osaass:

I believe the forth coming leaders debate would if anything benefit the lib derms more than the larger two parties. They normally stand no chance of producing a PM and have not done so for years. A good showing by mr clegg may well set the cats amongst the pigeons.
iPeople at present are fed up with politics and politicians especially after the expenses debacle. They may make a protest vote for the lib derms [if the debates go well as it did during the chancellor/shadow cabinet ones]. Protest votes by labour voters produced 2 bnp euro legislators.

I gree with you, Vince Cable won the chancellor debates, he knew what he was talking about unlike George Osbourne, who seemed to me to talking utter nonscence, not a single one of the Liberal Dem MP's flipped their homes or claimed for a duck house, by the way David Cameron was among the champion Westminister expenses claimers, he claimed the most for his second home but the media did not pick on that neither did the Daily Telegraph which has endorsed David Cameron which is owned by the Baclays Brothers who are non-dorm, they are based in on the Jersey Island because of the tax reasons.
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by Nobody: 1:35pm On Apr 10, 2010
thameamead:

Could you be darling and vote for him please. Every vote counts dearie, if more people vote for him, we might have a hung parlamement. Rome was not built in one day but he's strong and a fighter, i hate the way he's heckled @ Prime Ministers Question, did you watch his performance in the last Prime Ministers Question? he makes more sense than David Cameron.
Honestly, I am seriously considering it but Nick Clegg has to bring something more to the table. . . . . .I might just do it.
I believe they have a very good well thought out policies but lacking is showmanship.
In my opinion, members of the Lib Dem are just too mellow.

Oh yes, i saw the last PMQ's.
Very well thought out ideas. . . . but there was something lacking. Maybe his supporters were drowned by jeers of the opposition.
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by ElRazur: 1:38pm On Apr 10, 2010
osaass:

No my friend. This barrel is not only knowledgeable but sane. It is trying desperately to educate the other barrel, but so far, the latter is quite resistant to change. But i will break you at the end and take the wool for your eyes. If that is my achievement on nairaland i can well beat my chest. We surely cannot allow you to display this ignorance in the wider public.

Another noise from the ever empty barrel. smiley

Yes again they are both right wing papers. I am amazed why you remain confused on this issue. For someone like you who claim to be vast on uk politics it is puzzling how you are getting this all wrong.
There are millions of materials our there, even on the internet that answers your question. Even when you call the suns publishers they would be happy to confirm they are part of the right wing press.

Check out these please. Hope it helps. And yet again you have been exposed on another issue. You are clearly unarmed to continue with this battle of wits.

No, they have been known to share a view or two that is right winged, it do not make them Right wing.  

You are quoting Yahoo answers as your source?  Right.  shocked

With all due respect, sharing a views that is from the left or from the view do not make them Right wing, they are more or less centred.

Anyway, back to your original claim, please show how the UK media is right winged?  smiley
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by Nobody: 1:39pm On Apr 10, 2010
ElRazur:

That is the point I was trying to make. grin
@OMOIBO
If I have to vote on the basis of one policy only, I am sure that will be a deal breaker, but as it stand other parties have a few things here and there that are of interest. I will really like to see Libdem get bigger in the coming years, their policies are something that I really do like, but since they will not make much changes at this point in time, I suppose the whole idea is to vote for them so as to get to that level, but then what is to stop them from changing and become like the big two? grin
Obviously, it would be crazy to vote for a party based on a single policy but if you take sometime out to read Nick Cleggs speech at the last PMQ's you'd notice that they've got something up their sleeve.

All they need is numbers.
They also need 'talker' and a 'charmer' like Tony Blair to make that happen
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by Nobody: 1:44pm On Apr 10, 2010
osaass:

People at present are fed up with politics and politicians especially after the expenses debacle. They may make a protest vote for the lib derms [if the debates go well as it did during the chancellor/shadow cabinet ones]. Protest votes by labour voters produced 2 bnp euro legislators.
I agree with the bolded although David Cameron is the better talker of the 3 leaders.

If Nick Clegg gets his acts together he could pull a few surprises just like Vince Cable did.

Elrazur and osaass. . . . .
Will the 2 of you get off each other backs? Please?
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by thameamead(f): 1:47pm On Apr 10, 2010
OMO IBO:

Honestly, I am seriously considering it but Nick Clegg has to bring something more to the table. . . . . .I might just do it.
I believe they have a very good well thought out policies but lacking is showmanship.
In my opinion, members of the Lib Dem are just too mellow.

Oh yes, i saw the last PMQ's.
Very well thought out ideas. . . . but there was something lacking. Maybe his supporters were drowned by jeers of the opposition.

they always jeer, they think he's a joke but he's not, i love the way he carries on when they are jeering but i find it strange the speaker has not had a word with those scum bags to ask them not to jeer, i 'wrote to him (the speaker) last wk to complain, i don't care if he replies or not but he needs to have a word with them to stop jeering while he's speaking because it's plain rude, they can jeer after he's put his point across but not while he speaking. Nick Clegg is intelligent, he can speak 4 langauges, his wifey is an high powered international lawyer unlike fake samantha cameron and sarah brown, i follow sarah on twitter but her husband sends me to sleep whenver he's making those boring speeches.
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by ElRazur: 1:51pm On Apr 10, 2010
OMO IBO:

Obviously, it would be crazy to vote for a party based on a single policy but if you take sometime out to read Nick Cleggs speech at the last PMQ's you'd notice that they've got something up their sleeve.

All they need is numbers.
They also need 'talker' and a 'charmer' like Tony Blair to make that happen

Don't get me wrong, I share the same view - I.e Libdem is a damn good party.

One of the few things that actually worked in the favour of Tony Blair during his time IMO.

OMO IBO:

Elrazur and osaass. . . . .
Will the 2 of you get off each other backs? Please?

wink Lol.
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by Nobody: 2:17pm On Apr 10, 2010
ElRazur:

Another noise from the ever empty barrel. smiley

No, they have been known to share a view or two that is right winged, it  do not make them Right wing.  

You are quoting Yahoo answers as your source?  Right.  shocked

With all due respect, sharing a views that is from the left or from the view do not make them Right wing, they are more or less centred.

Anyway, back to your original claim, please show how the UK media is right winged?  smiley

When you debate issues with someone whose stance is glaringly hypo-cerebrated you come down to his level by explaining things in simple english to avoid complicating issues for him. Yahoo answers is the best i can offer you at this point. When you comprehend that aspect we would then move on to more matured references. But the case would be beyond redemption if you fail to grasp the well articulated points of the contributors to that extract from the yahoo website.opari o sad
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by Nobody: 2:22pm On Apr 10, 2010
OMO IBO:

I agree with the bolded although David Cameron is the better talker of the 3 leaders.

If Nick Clegg gets his acts together he could pull a few surprises just like Vince Cable did.

Labour realizes this hence the statement by the transport minister Lord Adonis yesterday urging voters to vote tactically for labour in marginal seats. His stance was in places where labour and the tories are running neck to neck, lib derm voters rather than vote for their party [which lord adonis considered a wasted vote] should vote for labour.

This may well play into the mind of especially undecided voters and swing such marginal seats towards labour. UK electoral system can be quite complicated due to their proportional representation approach. Therefore someone who wins majority of the votes in the country may not necessarily get into 10 downing street.
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by ElRazur: 2:26pm On Apr 10, 2010
osaass:

When you debate issues with someone whose stance is glaringly hypo-cerebrated you come down to his level by explaining things in simple english to avoid complicating issues for him. Yahoo answers is the best i can offer you at this point. When you comprehend that aspect we would then move on to more matured references. But the case would be beyond redemption if you fail to grasp the well articulated points of the contributors to that extract from the yahoo website.opari o sad

No Sir, the point is that Yahoo answers can be written by anyone with a yahoo account. Just the same way some muppet in the future will make reference to your post as an authoritative reference, when in actual fact, you have sweet FA knowledge on the issue. That is why yahoo answers won't be a credible source sir.

Finally, Wikipedia - slightly more credible than Yahoo answers have suggested that they are Centred but share a view or two at some point. that is learning away from the centre.

Even their history [Sun's] shows they have shared a leftist view during the publication, but I am yet to quote Wiki to you as it can be written by anyone.  smiley

@Omo Ibo

I promise this is my last reply.

@Osassa,
Their is nothing in their publication that will suggest they are right wing. However, they do share some right wing views once in a while. smiley I think this is my last say to you. Good day sir. smiley
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by Nobody: 2:54pm On Apr 10, 2010
ElRazur:

No Sir, the point is that Yahoo answers can be written by anyone with a yahoo account. Just the same way some muppet in the future will make reference to your post as an authoritative reference, when in actual fact, you have sweet FA knowledge on the issue. That is why yahoo answers won't be a credible source sir.

Finally, Wikipedia - slightly more credible than Yahoo answers have suggested that they are Centred but share a view or two at some point. that is learning away from the centre.

Even their history [Sun's] shows they have shared a leftist view during the publication, but I am yet to quote Wiki to you as it can be written by anyone.  smiley

@Omo Ibo

I promise this is my last reply.

@Osassa,
Their is nothing in their publication that will suggest they are right wing. However, they do share some right wing views once in a while. smiley I think this is my last say to you. Good day sir. smiley
Not if you are reading a different sun news paper from me. Have you seen their headlines? Sensationalism, scare mongering, nationalism, anti-immigrants, anti-state welfare, anti-europe and anti-labour. Dont be fooled by their support of labour until recently. People where surprised when they declared their support for labour in 1997. Traditionally they are always pro-conservative as one of the contributors and my humble self pointed out above. Many a political anaylyst have accused the sun and their ilk of drumming up support for the BNP and other fascist party through their mode of journalism.

My friend say something else and dont abuse anyones intelligence here. The sun newspaper does not share some right wing views as you wrongly time and time again say, they ARE A RIGHT WING PRESS.
You deny quoting wikipedia but have lifted a phrase from them and used same phrase over and again in trying to hold onto a non-issue. tongue

And yes. Please go sleep over these points. You might realize your mistakes on waking up.
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by ElRazur: 9:10am On Apr 11, 2010
Ossass,

All news media outlets are guilty of Sensationalism - This sell newspapers/get views/listeners. Even Nigeria media are eternally guilty of this.

If anyone is guilty of Scare scaremongering, then you may want to look at the Daily mail [Or is it the Daily Mirror?]. I am not sure how the Sun is fanning BNP to be honest. Remember, when BNP showed up their weakness in that televised debate, all media outlets beat them down including The Sun.

The above in my opinion, goes against what you are saying.

Also remember when the silly Prince Harry wore the infamous swastika, the sun reported this with much joy and bashing of the royal family. Surely, they would have been happy if they are right-wing etc? [See headline front cover below]

It will be interesting to see a proof as to how and where the The Sun have promoted nationalism in lines similar to that of the BNP [That is what you appear to be suggesting] etc.

As per wiki, I am merely telling you that I am yet to quote it. However, to make sure what I am saying is not far from the truth/fact, I used it and other sites as a background reading. Sorry, but some of us do not come into a debate not knowing a thing or two. And neither do I pretend to know. smiley
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by Nobody: 1:16pm On Apr 11, 2010
MIGRANTS TOLL ON UK SERVICES

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article352121.ece

BRITAIN IS SCREWED UP BY IMMIGRANTS

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article1835509.ece

IMMIGRANTS STEAL UK JOBS

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article2041493.ece

3 MILLION MIGRANTS HEAD TO UK

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2748268/Three-million-migrants-to-UK-under-Labour.html

ASYLUM SEEKERS PAID TO LEAVE UK

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/591052/Failed-asylum-seekers-Offered-bribes-36m-to-quit-UK.html

BRITAIN IS A SOFT TOUCH FOR ASYLUM SEEKERS

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article67314.ece

SOMALI CRIMINALS FLOOD TO UK

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/features/2912750/Sun-immigration-survey-day-2-Violence-on-the-streets.html

MIGRANTS TAKE ALL OUR JOBS

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/election2010/2924228/Figures-show-the-number-of-jobs-created-under-Labour-matches-the-number-of-migrant-workers.html

STOP BENEFITS AND STOP IMMIGRATION

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/columnists/jane_moore/2388744/STOP-the-handouts-STOP-the-problem-voila-Jane-Moore.html

IMMIGRATION TO SEND UK POPULATION ABOVE 70 MILLION

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2694024/BRITAINS-population-is-set-to-rise-by-425000-every-year-until-2033.html

BRITISH MUSLIMS SUPPLY TALIBAN

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article2261166.ece

BAN THE BURKHA

http://www.thesun.co.uk/search/searchAction.do;jsessionid=D4B78037079062D538242FFFA4CE9545?query=MUSLIMS&pubName=sol&view=internal&sortBy=relevance&offset=3

GAME TO KILL EVERY MUSLIM

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article1677450.ece

BRITAIN BETRAYED AS HATED EU TREATY BECOMES LAW

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2712808/Britain-betrayed-as-hated-EU-treaty-is-finally-made-law.html
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by ElRazur: 1:41pm On Apr 11, 2010
You are making the same classic mistake. I.e buying into the headlines. Please read the story and suddenly, it all makes sense. smiley

A quick read on the immigration story shows what I suspected i.e Using headlines to sell newspapers. Something you appear to have missed.

Also the headlines about Muslims been killed. If you noticed, the original headlines was in quotes. [" "] meaning it is open to translation and should not been taken as a direct translation. But in your post, you left this out. Your post and the headlines are two different meaning. I.e you are still misinforming.

Also in the same article, there is a balance, something you missed out " "Encouraging children and young people in a game to kill Muslims is unacceptable, tasteless and deeply offensive."

He urged internet service providers to remove the game from the web."

Surely, you are just trying to paint them bad now? And those are the one I looked at quickly.
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by ElRazur: 1:57pm On Apr 11, 2010

BAN THE BURKHA

http://www.thesun.co.uk/search/searchAction.do;jsessionid=D4B78037079062D538242FFFA4CE9545?query=MUSLIMS&pubName=sol&view=internal&sortBy=relevance&offset=3

Sir, once again you are misinforming. The original article was "Ban the Burkha?" and not Ban the Burka. It was a debate in relation to the incident that happened in France. People aired their views for and against. So I really do not know what is right wing about this one.

IMMIGRANTS STEAL UK JOBS

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article2041493.ece

Again headlines used to sell newspaper here. The news report was based on a report that suggest so. It do not mean it is true as there are other report that shows the benefit of immigration to the UK economy etc.

Overall, I think you are letting the sensationalism get to you and perhaps you may want to read the actual story to get an idea of what is actually been said. smiley
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by Nobody: 7:06pm On Apr 11, 2010
You are turning yourself into a laughing stock young man.
First i corrected you with FACTS on the present political ideology in Europe.
Secondly i opened your eyes to the fact that majority of the mainstream press in the UK has a right bias.
Thirdly and ridiculously even for your standards you are arguing blindly that the SUN newspaper is a left wing newsprint!!!  Please is there anybody else reading this? Put this man out of his misery. cheesy

The headlines above are clearly intended to rouse anti-foreigner sentiments. The stories are even more appalling. Day after day, this is what the sun and its sister publication the news of the world feeds its readers. Even in the centre and back pages its no different. These are the front soldiers of the BNP. Of course they openly denounce these parties but they all sing the same song.

The more we have this discussion the more i doubt you even live in the uk or have even the faintest idea about uk politics. You have derailed this thread long enough. It is not about Elrazur. It is about uk election. Your nuisance value is becoming palpable.  angry angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

List Of Nigeria’s New Ambassadors/ Postings / General Idi Amin Of Uganda / Museveni Declares June 25 For National Prayer Over COVID-19

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 145
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.