Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,031 members, 7,818,047 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:56 AM

Uk Election On May 6; With Polls - Foreign Affairs (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Uk Election On May 6; With Polls (8163 Views)

Poll: Which party would you vote for

Labour: 50% (14 votes)
Conservatives: 14% (4 votes)
Lib Derms: 32% (9 votes)
UKIP: 0% (0 votes)
BNP: 3% (1 vote)
Green party: 0% (0 votes)
Others: 0% (0 votes)
This poll has ended

Ben Carson Now Joint Top With Trump In US GOP Polls After AntiMuslim Comments / Ben Carson Surges In Polls After Debate Performance / Uk Election Called - May 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by SkyBlue1: 12:00pm On Apr 24, 2010
Beaf:

I watched the last debate and poor Cameron! He looked like a battered cat most of the show. I can safely predict that he will not be the UK's next PM, its going to be a Gordon or Nick show (except both get silly).

I heard that too and was shocked, but British folk couldn't care less, so its no big deal.

Erm. . . . . . You sure you know how the system works? You do know none of the party leaders are going to be on the ballot, you do know people don't really vote for a prime minister in the UK, right? That is why these debates have been seen by many to be a result of the influence of American elections and all the glitz and glamour that go with it. UK doesn't run a presidential system.
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by ayettymama(f): 12:09pm On Apr 24, 2010
^^ what are u on abt??
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by SkyBlue1: 12:14pm On Apr 24, 2010
ayettymama:

^^ what are u on abt??

Get yourself familiar with how the system works.
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by ayettymama(f): 12:38pm On Apr 24, 2010
what u on abt??- who doesnt no how the system works??
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by SkyBlue1: 12:47pm On Apr 24, 2010
ayettymama:

what u on abt??- who doesnt no how the system works??

I brought up the issue in response to Beaf's post because he mentioned that Nick Griffin could be UK's next prime minister (I assumed based on the premise of the current polls), perhaps forgetting that Nick Clegg could get a 10% lead and still not be the next Prime Minister. You know, I wasn't addressing you so there really was no need to respond to my post. If you found it beneath you, you could have just ignored it. It isn't so difficult.
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by redsun(m): 12:48pm On Apr 24, 2010
A scot can never win a PM election in mainland britain.Labour is gone,putting mr brown there is a conspiracy for a change by the illuminaties,in their bids to ulter universal laws that favours common people,the tories will make the right tools.The stiff necked ones.
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by thameamead(f): 1:07pm On Apr 24, 2010
snowdrops:

The debate should have never been hosted by sky news. It should have gone to channel 4. They would have been more balanced and the viewer rating more than the 4.4 million we got yesterday with a combined sky news, bbc news and sky 3 coverage.

John Snow would have made a better host than the fat Adam Bolton. Imagine the cheeky question he put to Clegg after deliberately clearing his throat. Asking if he saw the telegraphs attacks on him. Hosts are supposed to be impartial, which is amongst the 73 rules governing the debate.The Lib Derms should put in a complaint.

Mr Clegg's supporters have made complained to OFF COM, he's internet fan base is huge compared to Mr Cameron's face book, his fan base are on facebook.

I love Jon Snow, he's not scared of the Rupert Murdoch empire unlike the BBC. Rupuert Murdoch's son runs Sky News, its a joke that Mr Murduch runs 40% of the media in the UK.

Sky News is 80% right wing, most of their paper reviewers like Jon Gunt and the other scum bag, Kelvin Mckenzie, Have u ever listened to Sun Talk, it''s so right wing like Rush limbaugh's show in America. God help us with the Murdoch. What is it with power and money.? did u know Mr Murdoch invaded the office of The Independent because the Indy had "Rupert Murdoch will not decide this election" on the front cover of their paper.
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by ayettymama(f): 1:14pm On Apr 24, 2010
its the glitz and glamour comment that i was refferin too

but i see ur need to 'educate'  cool cool
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by snowdrops(m): 10:36pm On Apr 24, 2010
True talk thameamead. Jon Snow is certainly one of the most experienced and politically savvy tv personalities in the country.
I hope this election marks the beginning of the end of News corp. One man simply cannot decide who governs world leaders like the usa and uk. The public have shown not to be that gullible.
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by debosky(m): 2:16pm On Apr 26, 2010
Again a lot of fuss is being made about Sky hosting the debate - it's not that important. The Brits are forever obsessed about 'fairness' but it is really a non-issue in this regard.

I don't see how Sky is 'deciding' who the leads - the issue is that there are many people who support Sky's views and not that Sky is determining their views.

Clegg is already tripping himself up - his naivety is getting more obvious now. Talking of deals and personalising things with GB instead of focussing on his message. The issue will now be twisted by the Conservatives to mean he isn't quite decided on what he intends to do, which is their main grouse with coalition governments.

If he fails to get back on his main message, he will lose the little momentum he has.
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by Nobody: 2:39pm On Apr 26, 2010
Lib Dem immigrant amnesty 'gives 2.2m the right to stay'
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/election/article-1268820/General-Election-2010-LibDem-immigrant-amnesty-gives-2-2m-right-stay.html

I like Nick Clegg and the Lib Dem but if they want to be in with a chance of winning the election in 5yrs then they'd have to do better with their immigration policy/stance.

Nick Clegg and Lib Dem are currently popular amongst immigrants and ethnic minorities but their vote(s) would hardly give him the desired numbers.

C'mon Nick, I like your idea but you've got to strike a balance.
Immigration is a touchy subject amonngst Brits and is likely to be the deciding factor this time around.
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by snowdrops(m): 3:32pm On Apr 26, 2010
@ Debosky

Skys coverage of the election is reminiscent of what Fox did in the states leading to their election. There has been a clear bias towards the conservatives and their policies. I guess no ones surprised judging by Murdochs open declation for the tories.

Sky cannot decide who wins but they along with their sister press hold a huge sway with the british public. The discerning are becoming wary of what they are fed by the right wing media and pick out what is FACT from mere SCARE MONGERING, HALF TRUTHS and PROPAGANDA.
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by snowdrops(m): 3:37pm On Apr 26, 2010
@ OMO IBO

With a hung parliament looming, i forsee none of the parties can fully implement their policies on immigration. There will be a lot of debates and eventually the final draft will be severely watered down on this and other divisive issues from benefits to trident.

Votes from ethnic minorities may not count much for the national votes may decisive in inner city areas viz council and parliamentary seats.
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by thameamead(f): 2:31pm On Apr 27, 2010
debosky:

Again a lot of fuss is being made about Sky hosting the debate - it's not that important. The Brits are forever obsessed about 'fairness' but it is really a non-issue in this regard.

I don't see how Sky is 'deciding' who the leads - the issue is that there are many people who support Sky's views and not that Sky is determining their views.

Clegg is already tripping himself up - his naivety is getting more obvious now. Talking of deals and personalising things with GB instead of focussing on his message. The issue will now be twisted by the Conservatives to mean he isn't quite decided on what he intends to do, which is their main grouse with coalition governments.

If he fails to get back on his main message, he will lose the little momentum he has.

Sky is not bn fair at all, d reportinng show they are biased, when a labour candidate was suspended for calling old people coffin dodgers on Twitter, it top on the Sky but when a conservative party councillor attacked John Prescott, it was not top of their news, it was reported, but comp
snowdrops link=topic=425830.msg5953996#msg5953996 date=1272292370:

@ Debosky

Skys coverage of the election is reminiscent of what Fox did in the states leading to their election. There has been a clear bias towards the conservatives and their policies. I guess no ones surprised judging by Murdochs open declation for the tories.

Sky cannot decide who wins but they along with their sister press hold a huge sway with the british public. The discerning are becoming wary of what they are fed by the right wing media and pick out what is FACT from mere SCARE MONGERING, HALF TRUTHS and PROPAGANDA.

snowdrops:

@ Debosky

@ snowdrops, well said
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by thameamead(f): 2:36pm On Apr 27, 2010
debosky:

Mr Clegg should be talking about the policies of Lib-Dems not hung parliament, he's getting cocky. whoever is advising him should be fired because he's going to lose votes from floating and undecided voters if all he does is talk about who he wants to work with,
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by thameamead(f): 2:43pm On Apr 27, 2010
Its going to be a hung parliament with the tories having about 279 MP's. Did u all know Nigerian born Kemi Adegoke who sadly is a tory is standing for the Dulwich seat. She's a tough cookie, ve read a couple of her letters to The Evening Standard, I would like to know her stance on immigration, she probably thinks their should be a cap, Hmmm
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by snowdrops(m): 4:14pm On Apr 27, 2010
@ thameamead

I just had a quick look at her personal website http://kemi.adegoke.com/.

She gave no personal stance on immigration. But she directs people to the conservative manifesto which by default would reflect her opinion on immigration.
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by Nobody: 2:32pm On Apr 29, 2010
So, Labour under Gordon brown finally blew it. . . . . .that is if they had any chance?

Did Murdoch and sky put the final boot in Gordon Brown's backside? I'm beginning to think so.

The microphone on Gordon's tie was Sky's.
The Mic should've been turned off the moment he got into the car.
The speed at which the news or gaffe spread was alarming.

Although I wasn't close to a TV when it happened I would've loved to see how long it took other TV stations to pick up the gaffe.

Futhermore, I see nothing wrong in what Gordon Brown muttered under his own breathe and in a car.

People need to get a real life. Just because someone is a public figure does not mean they seize to have an opinion.

What say youz lot, . . .

Has Murdoch won this one?
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by snowdrops(m): 5:57pm On Apr 29, 2010
OMO IBO:

So, Labour under Gordon brown finally blew it. . . . . .that is if they had any chance?

Did Murdoch and sky put the final boot in Gordon Brown's backside? I'm beginning to think so.

The microphone on Gordon's tie was Sky's.
The Mic should've been turned off the moment he got into the car.
The speed at which the news or gaffe spread was alarming.

Although I wasn't close to a TV when it happened I would've loved to see how long it took other TV stations to pick up the gaffe.

Futhermore, I see nothing wrong in what Gordon Brown muttered under his own breathe and in a car.

People need to get a real life. Just because someone is a public figure does not mean they seize to have an opinion.

What say youz lot, . . .

Has Murdoch won this one?
Rather than blow it, it even would further consolidate my resolution and blow away any doubts to vote in brown.
At least it shows he is human with emotions. Show me the party leader or politician that dont have less than savoury opinions of some members of the public and i will show you a BIGOT.
Besides the question the woman asked about immigrants was silly and hypocritical. "Where do eastern european migrants come from?". Hello there. From eastern europe.

NB. We have so far got less than 30 votes for our NL election poll. We need to do better.
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by debosky(m): 11:41pm On Apr 29, 2010
thameamead:

Its going to be a hung parliament with the tories having about 279 MP's. Did u all know Nigerian born Kemi Adegoke who sadly is a tory is standing for the Dulwich seat. She's a tough cookie, ve read a couple of her letters to The Evening Standard, I would like to know her stance on immigration, she probably thinks their should be a cap, Hmmm

Why not? Should she want unlimited immigration simply because she isn't UK born?

Anyone who doesn't support better controls on immigration is simply living in a fantasy world - whether it be a cap, or restrictions in some other form, you cannot keep pumping 200,000 people into the UK annually forever.

Sky hasn't done anything, the real breaking of the gaffe was on BBC radio, so if anyone did it, it was the good ol BBC.
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by ElRazur: 7:23am On Apr 30, 2010
I don't know about you guys, but the more I read about people here opposing tougher stance on immigration, the more I am forced to think these people do not have papers and as such have something to hide.

I support cap immigration, I support enforced tough stance towards illegal immigration. In fact, any one illegal should be hunted down and removed.  smiley Get the correct papers, come here, work and there won't be a problem. smiley
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by snowdrops(m): 8:11am On Apr 30, 2010
ElRazur:

I don't know about you guys, but the more I read about people here opposing tougher stance on immigration, the more I am forced to think these people do not have papers and as such have something to hide.

I support cap immigration, I support enforced tough stance towards illegal immigration. In fact, any one illegal should be hunted down and removed.  smiley Get the correct papers, come here, work and there won't be a problem. smiley
So white British people who oppose a cap on immigration also lack papers? Surely you can do better than that ElRazur.

Like Nick said yesterday, 80% of immigrants to the UK are from the EU. Therefore you cannot stop them from coming here or place a cap on their numbers. Just as you cannot do same for UK citizens going to mainland europe. Cameron will say anything to get into power. He promises to cut net immigration to below 100,000. That is stupid and unrealistic based on the points above.

So ElRazur, dont deceive yourself, even if you have papers, you are still counted as an immigrant and the typical man on the street would gladly wish you and your family leave their country. As Nick Griffin said, he will give you £50,000 to go back to your country.
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by Nobody: 8:50am On Apr 30, 2010
So I saw Question Time last night and Vince Cable (whom i believe should be the leader of Lib Dem) for the umpteenth time honed in on this Immigration brouhaha.

I believe there should be a cap on the number of people who come here to live. I also believe only people who are really needed who should be allowed tolivein this country.

But and here is the big but. . . . . . .
None of the other parties have any REAL plans for the illegal immigrants who already live here.
I am pressed to believe that Labour under Gordon Brown and Tony Blair understand the importance of illegal immigrants to the economy. It is not that hard to find illegal immigrants. If these guys are serious are about getting immigration under control then they should know where to find them. it is easy.very very easy.

David Cameron on the other hand is just saying what most people want to hear without numbers and real plans.

Nick Clegg on the other hand realises this. Rather than endlessly chase face-less people who add value to the economy, why not  regularise their stay in the country and then have borders that actually work.

After listening to Vince Cable, I thought this made a lot more sense.
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by ElRazur: 9:03am On Apr 30, 2010
Once again, the ones who appear to be logic amongst us  have shown they are prone to the Nigerian mentality once immigration is mentioned on the agenda. Nice, it should be expected. But let me play along **rubs hand in glee** smiley

snowdrops:

So white British people who oppose a cap on immigration also lack papers? Surely you can do better than that ElRazur.

Madam, you are one of the most reasonable around here, please have read at my post again. smiley My point was aimed at people in here - which comprises of 99.9% black people.

Like Nick said yesterday, 80% of immigrants to the UK are from the EU. Therefore you cannot stop them from coming here or place a cap on their numbers. Just as you cannot do same for UK citizens going to mainland europe. Cameron will say anything to get into power. He promises to cut net immigration to below 100,000. That is silly and unrealistic based on the points above.
Again, it is possible to put a cap [by this I mean controlled immigration]. For example, Australia uses a point based system, where visa are given on the basis of what the person can do for the country as a whole i.e their qualifications, the language they speak, their level of expertise etc. This type of immigration is used to balance out the number of those coming in, in relation to those going out etc. Once again, if Australia can do this, I do not see why it cannot be applied to UK - even though we are in the EU. smiley

So ElRazur, dont deceive yourself, even if you have papers, you are still counted as an immigrant and the typical man on the street would gladly wish you and your family leave their country. As Nick Griffin said, he will give you £50,000 to go back to your country.

Haaa, the long awaited Nigerian mentality, where the point is missed and focused put on ElRazur instead. Okay, let me play along too. For the record, My dad have a British passport, I was born here etc. While the argument of being an immigrant is not applicable to me this is about the illegal ones. But I guess you see a way to link all of it together.  I should also point out that we are all immigrants, but this is just a different debate for now. Let us focus on those who are legal and illegal. smiley

As per Nick Griffin, I am surprised you bought into this, but I guess the Nigerian mentality have removed your logic and what not. Nick is a [i]silly and silent voice in the wilderness of reason [/i]and as it stand he speaks in a wishful manner, it will never be a reality. smiley

I really do not know why people get worked when immigration is been discussed. If you have the right papers, please come here but if you don't no point.
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by Freiburger(m): 9:38am On Apr 30, 2010
I really do not know why people get worked when immigration is been discussed. If you have the right papers, please come here but if you don't no point.

I wonder. As if the whole election is all about immigration.
Well, i'm not from the UK but i 've been taking a close watch on
the election, and i think the Lib dem leader will ermerge
as the next PM since the polls signifies a tight race, and Gordon Brown
just revealed he can't be trusted by calling a labour voter a bigoted woman
few moments after a friendly and normal conversation.
So i think every potential labour voter who got angry from that will not go that far
voting the conservatives, they will simply end up voting the lib dem.
But another thing is that the Nick Clegg's position on immigration is somehow too porus,
and that might affect him in swing areas presently controlled by the conservatives.
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by jaybee3(m): 11:22am On Apr 30, 2010
Freiburger:

as the next PM
since the polls signifies a tight race, and Gordon Brown
So i think every potential labour voter who got angry from that will not go that far
But another thing is that the Nick Clegg's position on immigration is somehow too porus,
and that might affect him in swing areas presently controlled by the conservatives.

He has a 1 billion to 1 chance of pulling that off. Dude, the polls are only showing opinion polls which doesn't necessarily translate into electoral seats.
For liberal democrats to win dis election they would have to have about 44% share of the votes and i can categorically say that's not going to be possible.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/election_2010/8609989.stm
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by debosky(m): 2:07pm On Apr 30, 2010
snowdrops:

Like Nick said yesterday, 80% of immigrants to the UK are from the EU. Therefore you cannot stop them from coming here or place a cap on their numbers. Just as you cannot do same for UK citizens going to mainland europe. Cameron will say anything to get into power. He promises to cut net immigration to below 100,000. That is silly and unrealistic based on the points above.

Where is the information showing 80% of immigrants are from the EU? Besides, as those EU countries get better, immigration from them will reduce. The unending flow of immigrants will continue to come from the third world.

371,000 study permits were given in 2008/09, with about 140,000 renewing per year, many only intending to become immigrants rather than really wanting to leave at the end of their stay. Those numbers are there and cannot be denied.

Besides, the estimated 1 million illegal immigrants in the UK are not from the EU.
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by Nobody: 2:20pm On Apr 30, 2010
Now people have problems with those who choose to remain in the country by genuinely renewing their permits?

I thought the argument was about illegal immigrants and not those those who make sure they remain legal in the country.
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by snowdrops(m): 2:38pm On Apr 30, 2010
@ ElRazur

We are not having an arguement about immigration. I am not worked up about it. Also i am a MR not a Madam tongue

Australias point based system cannot be applied for EU nationals. If the UK were to do that, it means they would have to pull out of the EU their biggest trading partner. 2 million jobs will be lost and billions of pounds would leave their economy. And i can bet my testicles that would never happen.

The BNP dont care about your British passport. Their brain only picks up skin colour, whether you are white or not white. I detest them as well, but i want you to realize that immigration to some is about preserving a white identity for britain.
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by snowdrops(m): 2:40pm On Apr 30, 2010
Freiburger:

as the next PM
since the polls signifies a tight race, and Gordon Brown

Son, your sins are forgiven. You rightly said you are not from uk. So you gaffe would be overlooked.
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by snowdrops(m): 2:46pm On Apr 30, 2010
debosky:

Where is the information showing 80% of immigrants are from the EU? Besides, as those EU countries get better, immigration from them will reduce. The unending flow of immigrants will continue to come from the third world.

371,000 study permits were given in 2008/09, with about 140,000 renewing per year, many only intending to become immigrants rather than really wanting to leave at the end of their stay. Those numbers are there and cannot be denied.

Besides, the estimated 1 million illegal immigrants in the UK are not from the EU.
The 80% is a Home office figure. The fact that there is free movement within the EU, EU dont need work permit to work here and that most europeans are caucasian mean their presence can be easily overlooked.

Cameron is only deluding himself. There is no way net migration to the uk would be below a 100,000. Unless this figure does not include EU citizens.

PS. Voted today and it was for Labour.
Re: Uk Election On May 6; With Polls by ElRazur: 5:52pm On Apr 30, 2010
snowdrops:

@ ElRazur

We are not having an arguement about immigration. I am not worked up about it. Also i am a MR not a Madam tongue

Australias point based system cannot be applied for EU nationals. If the UK were to do that, it means they would have to pull out of the EU their biggest trading partner. 2 million jobs will be lost and billions of pounds would leave their economy. And i can bet my testicles that would never happen.

The BNP dont care about your British passport. Their brain only picks up skin colour, whether you are white or not white. I detest them as well, but i want you to realize that immigration to some is about preserving a white identity for britain.

Oh really? Given your original reply to my post on immigration, I could have sworn to God you want a debate that borderlines arguing?

The point is there are several ways immigration cap can be controlled. Also, each individual member of the EU can implement what controls they deem fit at their borders, provided it do not break any EU rules. smiley

WTF is the issue of BNP got to do with this? Again let me play along. smiley Using your logic I guess Bokoharam will take over Nigeria and convert everyone to their sect of Islam. Right? That is how your logic is coming across. As it stand, they are in the very tiny minority and in a nation of about 150 million, their ideas will never take off. it is the same thing with the BNP, their ideas will never pay dividends.

Again it appears you need reminding that BNP are a very tiny minority. How their threat is significant and connecting to this debate is beyond me, but yeah keep letting your Nigerian mentality get the better off you. smiley

Since you appear to be looking for straws to clutch on to, let me reiterate on my points again. I do not want illegal immigrants here. I do however welcome those who have the right papers. Thank god, it is not people with your logic that run our borders. smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

List Of Nigeria’s New Ambassadors/ Postings / General Idi Amin Of Uganda / Museveni Declares June 25 For National Prayer Over COVID-19

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.