Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,468 members, 7,830,363 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:17 PM

Jonathan To Keep Power Portfolio For Now - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan To Keep Power Portfolio For Now (3345 Views)

Suggest A Portfolio For Lai Mohammed And Amaechi As A Minister / Suggest A Portfolio For Babatunde Fashola As A Minister... / Buhari May Keep Petroleum Portfolio For Himself - Olusegun Adeniyi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan To Keep Power Portfolio For Now by Fhemmmy: 3:37pm On Apr 07, 2010
spoilt:

Why didnt he think of lady Dora? If she could fix the messed up NAFDAC she can fix NEPA. She will do good somewhere she will actually be working and not reduced to playing rubbish politics with the boys.
rebranded:

one of the reasons is cause we dont have enough gas. Niger delta militants have been blowing up gas pipe lines, however im still possible GJ will turn things around in that sector.

You make me laff in makossa language
Re: Jonathan To Keep Power Portfolio For Now by debosky(m): 3:37pm On Apr 07, 2010
spoilt:

Why didnt he think of lady Dora? If she could fix the messed up NAFDAC she can fix NEPA. She will do good somewhere she will actually be working and not reduced to playing rubbish politics with the boys.

Did she fix the information ministry she worked in? NTA is as useless as ever, even ordinary websites she couldn't manage properly and we should give her the power sector? I like Dora as a person, but her performance as a minister has been abysmal.
Re: Jonathan To Keep Power Portfolio For Now by spoilt(f): 3:44pm On Apr 07, 2010
thats why i said put her somewhere she will actually be working. Information ministry my crusty feet! Thats pure politics zone. What does all that propaganda benefit us? I was actually suprised she accepted it.
Re: Jonathan To Keep Power Portfolio For Now by rebranded(m): 3:45pm On Apr 07, 2010
Fhemmmy:

You make me laff in makossa language

Why?

He knows Dora is not as innocent as people think plus if you understand what is happening in the oil &gas sector you will know power in nigeria is experiencing shortage of gas
Re: Jonathan To Keep Power Portfolio For Now by up2u: 4:50pm On Apr 07, 2010
I think he knows what he is doing. He is simply saying that the former Minister was not well to do.
Re: Jonathan To Keep Power Portfolio For Now by Fhemmmy: 4:53pm On Apr 07, 2010
rebranded:

Why?

He knows Dora is not as innocent as people think plus if you understand what is happening in the oil &gas sector you will know power in nigeria is experiencing shortage of gas

Lol . . . . Time is man's evidence
Re: Jonathan To Keep Power Portfolio For Now by alldone(m): 5:00pm On Apr 07, 2010
he will deliver.
Re: Jonathan To Keep Power Portfolio For Now by Kobojunkie: 5:05pm On Apr 07, 2010
spoilt:

thats why i said put her somewhere she will actually be working. Information ministry my crusty feet! Thats pure politics zone. What does all that propaganda benefit us? I was actually suprised she accepted it.

I believe Information Ministry is by far the easiest of all the others. Maintaining a website with uptodate information, and providing our media houses with REAL information is HARD? Fixing NTA is HARD WORK?
Re: Jonathan To Keep Power Portfolio For Now by spoilt(f): 6:02pm On Apr 07, 2010
@kobo those functions you describe are the real functions of the job but as far back as the days of Uche Chukwumerije that position has been one of a paid piper disseminating propaganda. Czn one even work independently in that capacity?
Re: Jonathan To Keep Power Portfolio For Now by Fhemmmy: 6:33pm On Apr 07, 2010
Kobojunkie:

I believe Information Ministry is by far the easiest of all the others. Maintaining a website with uptodate information, and providing our media houses with REAL information is HARD? Fixing NTA is HARD WORK?

could you imagine people crying foul that Jonathan shd have made Dora that cld not do the above, the INEC boss?
Re: Jonathan To Keep Power Portfolio For Now by Beaf: 6:37pm On Apr 07, 2010
Please peeps, stop derailing this thread with Dora. It isn't about Dora.
Re: Jonathan To Keep Power Portfolio For Now by Fhemmmy: 6:38pm On Apr 07, 2010
^^^ Sorry sir . . .
Re: Jonathan To Keep Power Portfolio For Now by gentlegg(m): 6:49pm On Apr 07, 2010
Honestly I have no faith in Jonathan. I think he's only hoping to capitalize on the power sector to win the heart of Nigerians come 2011. Anyway, if he can give us 24/7 power supply, then he can continue to eternity because we need power mostly.
Re: Jonathan To Keep Power Portfolio For Now by Fhemmmy: 6:51pm On Apr 07, 2010
gentlegg:

Honestly I have no faith in Jonathan. I think he's only hoping to capitalize on the power sector to win the heart of Nigerians come 2011. Anyway, if he can give us 24/7 power supply, then he can continue to eternity because we need power mostly.

well, time will tell
Re: Jonathan To Keep Power Portfolio For Now by naijaswag1: 6:57pm On Apr 07, 2010
He had better keep it.his predecessors preferred Petroleum Ministry.Hands crossed to see what he will do about it.Thank God He has access to billions of dollars to resolve the power issue.There is no excuse of needing to borrow money.
Re: Jonathan To Keep Power Portfolio For Now by Fhemmmy: 6:58pm On Apr 07, 2010
naija_swag:

He had better keep it.his predecessors preferred Petroleum Ministry.Hands crossed to see what he will do about it.Thank God He has access to billions of dollars to resolve the power issue.There is no excuse of needing to borrow money.

We all watching what he would do
Re: Jonathan To Keep Power Portfolio For Now by Kobojunkie: 7:26pm On Apr 07, 2010
spoilt:

@kobo those functions you describe are the real functions of the job but as far back as the days of Uche Chukwumerije that position has been one of a paid piper disseminating propaganda. Czn one even work independently in that capacity?

But @Spoilt, she did not even do as good as Uche when it comes to disseminating propaganda. All she had to do was hire some really good PR consultants, and this country would have been more divided between pro and anti yar adua groups. She could have at least moved that ministry light years ahead of where it is today in her time.

Like I said back in April/May of 2009, I don't mind her doing the job she was hired for, which really was to help prop up the current administration( from the way I see it), all she needed to do was do it right and not speak out of every side of her mouth when caught. Remember the Ekiti crisis? I think she did her job ok, up until the coverups started and she went silent. I mean she did do all she could to divert blame from the administration back to the "CABAL" back then who we assumed were AC members. But as soon as tori begin to wowo, she went silent, nothing, not even on the ministry of communication's website or the other Nigerian government websites, and the whole country was once again left at the mercy of the rumour mills. The International community noticed this as well. Imagine hearing of this as well on the BBC and CNN? It happened. And that seems to be her legacy so far. She allowed the rumour mill to fully take over communication in Nigeria. You only need to go to the ministry's site to understand why it should not be so.

I am a proponent of freedom of information and as soon as the administration hired her, I started following her career because I am really interested in seeing progress when it comes to dissemination of information in Nigeria. So, you can imagine how appalled I am that we are pretending, cause I have no other way of explaining what I see happening now, we have short-term memory,yet again, and giving yet another pass to bad performance. All she did on february 4th was suggest the same old disgusting dish be served us in a new plate. It is the same disgusting mess we are to deal with.
Re: Jonathan To Keep Power Portfolio For Now by woonick: 7:31pm On Apr 07, 2010
Website where credit cards are sold in the open, God help us
myshopadmin.info
Re: Jonathan To Keep Power Portfolio For Now by Beaf: 7:34pm On Apr 07, 2010
@Kobojunkie

Why don't you at least try to start your own thread for once, instead of trying hard to derail other peoples threads? Surely you're not so daft that you can't start your own "dora I hate you" thread?

Even with a single brain cell you could start a thread. Are you so daft or what that you can't notice the title of this thread? It says "Jonathan To Keep Power Portfolio For Now". It has nothing to do with Dora.
Re: Jonathan To Keep Power Portfolio For Now by Fhemmmy: 7:37pm On Apr 07, 2010
Beaf:

@Kobojunkie

Why don't you at least try to start your own thread for once, instead of trying hard to derail other peoples threads? Surely you're not so daft that you can't start your own "dora I hate you" thread?

Even with a single brain cell you could start a thread. Are you so daft or what that you can't notice the title of this thread? It says "Jonathan To Keep Power Portfolio For Now". It has nothing to do with Dora.

Chief, take am easy oh
Re: Jonathan To Keep Power Portfolio For Now by manny4life(m): 9:37pm On Apr 07, 2010
Beaf:

@Kobojunkie

Damn, do you have and"Beaf" with Kobo, jeez relax it ain't all like that.
Re: Jonathan To Keep Power Portfolio For Now by Eziachi: 10:03pm On Apr 07, 2010
netotse:

difference is, with oil, there's a net inflow of funds, dude doesn't have anything to gain by keeping the portfolio to himself, his not appointing a minister means he was unable to find one that he trusted. . .SMH
Pure ignorant, it shows how little some of you knew Nigerian corrupt system. Power portfolio happens to be one of the most lucrative in terms of looting money. If you don't know, ask why northerner always had it and why you have perenial power shortage, if not because billions designated for power always end in private pocket. if you don't know ask past ministers of power.
Re: Jonathan To Keep Power Portfolio For Now by Eziachi: 10:16pm On Apr 07, 2010
rebranded:

Watch 6months from now Nigeria will have steady power! angry

No, in six months time from now, you will likely be disappointed as your latest hope out of many other hopes turns into hopelessness yet again.
Nigerians, you never learn from the past, all your leaders are crooked and made of the same stuff. How many times will something happens to you guys before you learn?
I don't want to burst you bubble but, Nigeria is not known for progress, rather retrogression. When it come to Nigeria, it is one step forward and two steps backward.
Re: Jonathan To Keep Power Portfolio For Now by trueword: 10:45pm On Apr 07, 2010
Well all we can do is hope that Jonathan will take strong action and put in place the reforms that will position the country for stable power. I only have a sliver of hope for because I think Jonathan was the only person in Abuja that has ever apologized for not delivering on promise of power, while the others would say nothing at all or just throw around blame or make excuses.

Since he will be working with the power subcommittee led by Prof. Barth Nnaji, I hope some good will come out it. Nnaji owns the company that has been constructing the power plant for Aba. This power plant should have taken off long ago, but it's been stuck. So Nnaji should have firsthand knowledge about why power projects in Nigeria fail and the things needed to help the sector.

Let's just wait and see. If Jonathan can actually manage to deliver on power I think he will be able to stay in office longer than 2011.
Re: Jonathan To Keep Power Portfolio For Now by Onlytruth(m): 10:50pm On Apr 07, 2010
Nigeria's power sector is a network of political landmines. I would first think that Jonathan has not found a suitable hand yet. I don't think he would like this intractable albatross around his neck. . unless of course he knows something that the rest of us don't. Just hope the latter is the case.
Re: Jonathan To Keep Power Portfolio For Now by eros(m): 10:52pm On Apr 07, 2010
Methinks he 'might' be able to pull through on this one and make Naija have 24/7 uninterrupted power for em. . . .em. . . . wheww. . . . . Just remembered he is also one of them.
Re: Jonathan To Keep Power Portfolio For Now by doyin13(m): 10:57pm On Apr 07, 2010
Me I think all the medium targets will be met. . .

From all indications, Naija has enough capacity to
satisfy short term needs so long as gas is provided.

Providing gas, completing the NIPP projects and reforming
NEPA are the main tasks ahead.
Re: Jonathan To Keep Power Portfolio For Now by jamace(m): 11:03pm On Apr 07, 2010
I think he has just shown that power supply is very dear to his heart.

It will be a great plus for his brief administration if he succeeds in this effort. Wishing him the best.
Re: Jonathan To Keep Power Portfolio For Now by Rmc1(m): 11:10pm On Apr 07, 2010
Great move by jonathan he might just be able to achieve 24/7 full electricity if, and only if he has the right expertise by his side. That is why he has to go to germany to get 2 or 3 top experts on electricity pay them good money and take advantage of their wealth of knowlege in that sector, since he has decided to takle the darkness monster head on. I bet you in 6 months nigeria will be lite up
Re: Jonathan To Keep Power Portfolio For Now by spoilt(f): 11:14pm On Apr 07, 2010
Beaf:

@Kobojunkie

kilode?
How the thing dey do you? grin
Re: Jonathan To Keep Power Portfolio For Now by Sunofgod(m): 11:46pm On Apr 07, 2010
Constant electricity within 12 months? I think we all need to get realistic.

If that's what we are expecting from Jonathan, then I think our expectations are too high.

Are we trying to Kill Jonathan as well?

If he can at the least get to the heart of the problems and then come up with a workable plan - assemble the required resources - and then communicate a programme within 6 months -  then he would have tried.

But he needs to bring in the right experts who do not have an agenda to assess the current situation. - and thats the biggest problem.

Any project in Nigeria that is for the public's benefit and involves public funds tends to cost 10 times as much.
Re: Jonathan To Keep Power Portfolio For Now by doyin13(m): 11:55pm On Apr 07, 2010
Sun of god:

Constant electricity within 12 months? I think we all need to get realistic.

If that's what we are expecting from Jonathan, then I think our expectations are too high.

Are we trying to Kill Jonathan as well?

If he can at the least get to the heart of the problems and then come up with a workable plan - assemble the required resources - and then communicate a programme within 6 months -  then he would have tried.

But he needs to bring in the right experts who do not have an agenda to assess the current situation. - and thats the biggest problem.

Any project in Nigeria that is for the public's benefit and involves public funds tends to cost 10 times as much.

I think it just shows the poor job the government has done explaining to the public whats on ground.

As PHCN stands now, it has up to 6000MW of capacity which is enough to satisfy most of the electricity
demand in the short term though I suspect it would be exhausted in no time at all.

All that is required to harness most of this power is gas generation which amnesty permitting
would be available in the not too distant future.

But add to this the ongoing NIPP projects that are at various stages of completion and then you
have some medium term demand coverage.

Of course there are also issues with transmission and distribution but the achievement of constant
electricity is not too farfetched.

Frankly I think Jonathan recognises this as well and wants to extract as much political leverage as
possible when constant power becomes a reality.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Who Hacked Nairaland And Have They Stolen 1 Million Plus User Data / The TRUE Size Of Africa – Maps Have Been Misleading For Over 500 Years! / 1.4m Names Missing From Lagos Voters’ List, Fashola Decleared Public Holiday.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.