Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,080 members, 7,821,711 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:08 PM

12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science (29096 Views)

TETFund Gives N12bn Grant To 12 Universities To Pioneer Researches / Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? / Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by izzyybothe17: 10:18am On Jan 02, 2018
Dohyn3:
I know LASU will be there. That sch is just too good. grin
Lasuite? You a Fresher or staylite?
Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by harnnydee30: 10:19am On Jan 02, 2018
This list is nothing but Trash.. seeing kwasu there is disastrous
Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by Vstuffs(m): 10:28am On Jan 02, 2018
olamil34:
Most of it is cram and pour

I studied marketing and I can code in four programming languages

Sir, is not about the syntax, or being able to write code in four languages, there is more to that, that is why most big tech companies still insist they need computer science graduates, programming is not all about the code, the ability for the code to be able to solve a particular problem within the shortest period of time is also consider,and also the amount of memory that code is utilizing Have you ever wondered, why big tech companies do white board interviews, ask questions relating to different algorithms and data structures instead of asking the individual to just code one demo site? Computer Science is more than what you guys think it is, it is a broad course.

1 Like

Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by sheykruz1(m): 10:29am On Jan 02, 2018
I'm a computer science student, 200level, I can't really code, but I'm very good at graphics design and animation , should I. Continue in my field as a graphic designer or are you guys saying coding is the only way in COMPUTER SCIENCE, please I need your advice cos all u guys have been talking about is just programming, no one ever mentioned graphics...
Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by olamil34(m): 10:32am On Jan 02, 2018
Vstuffs:

Sir, is not about the syntax, or being able to write code in four languages, there is more to that, that is why most big tech companies still insist they need computer science graduates, programming is not all about the code, the ability for the code to be able to solve a particular problem within the shortest period of time is also consider,and also the amount of memory that code is utilizing Have you ever wondered, why big tech companies do white board interviews, ask questions relating to different algorithms and data structures instead of asking the individual to just code one demo site? Computer Science is more than what you guys thought it is, it is a broad course.

I accept, you need computer scientist to build next greation technology, algorithm, micro chips, os, e.t.c.

But most can be self taught.

1 Like

Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by Vstuffs(m): 10:34am On Jan 02, 2018
sheykruz1:
I'm a computer science student, 200level, I can't really code, but I'm very good at graphics design and animation , should I. Continue in my field as a graphic designer or are you guys saying coding is the only way in COMPUTER SCIENCE, please I need your advice cos all u guys have been talking about is just programming, no one ever mentioned graphics...
Coding is not the only way, but please try to learn at least one language and fully understand it as a computer science student, since you are into design and animation, you can further your knowledge, by learning how to do different designs for games, sites, mobile apps, desktop apps (UI/UX) etc
Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by ehis05(m): 10:38am On Jan 02, 2018
This course majorly has to do with self development
Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by Vstuffs(m): 10:38am On Jan 02, 2018
olamil34:

I accept, you need computer scientist to build next greation technology, algorithm, micro chips, os, e.t.c.

But most can be self taught.

Yes, they can be self taught, but there are many concepts that the self taught individual will need to learn, that may take a while to understand, at the end most of them go back to learning via CS50 or any Computer Science Course Online. It is really not easy, even for us the Computer Science students
Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by sheykruz1(m): 10:41am On Jan 02, 2018
Vstuffs:

Coding is not the only way, but please try to learn at least one language and fully understand it as a computer science student, since you are into design and animation, you can further your knowledge, by learning how to do different designs for games, sites, mobile apps, desktop apps (UI/UX) etc
Wow! I love this, thanks bro I just met a Friend and he promised to teach me php7, so I think I ll focus on that + my graphics stuff.

1 Like

Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by patrick89(m): 10:45am On Jan 02, 2018
Do not study computer science in Nigerian university! You will end up frustrated! Go and study any other course, then have external computer learning programs outside the school. With that you will be very good in programming, and use it to solve problem in your area of study!
For example, you studied mass communication, and you have acquired computer/programming skills, you will then put it into practice in solving problems in mass communication!
Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by olamil34(m): 10:48am On Jan 02, 2018
Vstuffs:

Yes, they can be self taught, but there are many concepts that the self taught individual will need to learn, that may take a while to understand, at the end most of them go back to learning via CS50 or any Computer Science Course Online. It is really not easy, even for us the Computer Science students

I did take cs50, twice, and that was the best course I have ever took, he used c, scratch and php.

1 Like

Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by ClintonNzedimma(m): 11:03am On Jan 02, 2018
akisoft:

Mathematics is one of the building blocks of been a computer scientists, but I will tell you why most ppl will disagree, because they think, computer science only involves website designing, basic application development..., as a computer scientists one of things you should able to do is writting complex algorithm to solve complex problems, like routing, cryptography, data mining, Natural Language processing, facial recognition... which requires some math like set theory, geometry, abstract maths(groups and rings, number theory etc..)
true but in deeper sense...logic is the building block of CS....I'm in 300L and we stopped doing math courses since 200L 1st semester... just because a person is a math guru doesn't mean he will be great at computing, I've seen this firsthand although you need a good level of math knowledge (B or C grade level) and you good to go.
I checked Harvard curriculum and no math course....they focus on algorithms... check out CS50 by professor David Malan

1 Like

Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by patriotsam: 11:05am On Jan 02, 2018
Shittaakeem:

What is this one saying
You don't need mathematics to be good in programming.

Lol. Bro, you still have much to do if you want to be a programmer.
Do you know that computer understands no language except maths.... All these diff programming language translate ur written code to binary code(maths) for computer to understand.
Have you ever thought of why they said maths is the father of technology.
U need to research more bro. Jahbless
Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by patriotsam: 11:15am On Jan 02, 2018
kode12:

The mistake alot of people make is to think computer science is all about programming,well it is not. You could actually in certain instances be a computer scientist and not program. There's a whole lot more to it, than a mere programmer will grasp. Your ability to code is four languages is just like a man saying he can work with a hoe,axe,cutlass and spade. With computer science you can go a step further a even create new tools.

The thing is that programming is the bedrock of anything you are doing on computer, though its not compulsory to learn it.
But its good for someone to have it at the back of his mind that its a programmer that built the app he is using to do his work.
So everything is still under programming.
Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by jumaian(m): 11:23am On Jan 02, 2018
When it comes to computer science, Covenant is the best. They have received various grants in computer science and bioinformatics. But for public varsities, I will vouch for University of Ibadan. In all, as a student, you have to develop yourself.

The key courses which hold computer science are algorithm and data structures which are not taught well in Nigeria. It goes beyond programming or writting codes. It's your ability to determine the running time and space complexity of a program.

Well, Convenant Uni is the best.

2 Likes

Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by jumaian(m): 11:26am On Jan 02, 2018
patriotsam:

The thing is that programming is the bedrock of anything you are doing on computer, though its not compulsory to learn it.
But its good for someone to have it at the back of his mind that its a programmer that built the app he is using to do his work.
So everything is still under programming.

Programming doesn't make you a computer scientist. There are lot to it. We computer scientist build tools and analyse programs or data. Anybody can be a programmer. Even market women could enroll for programming classes at aptech. What would differentiate them from computer scientist is that, do they know how the program runs? the time, space?
Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by KayCee92(m): 11:32am On Jan 02, 2018
bros where is Uniuyo.....go put am diaa or o don belivit
Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by Ogaonos: 11:44am On Jan 02, 2018
Timekeeper:
A senior lecturer at the University of Ibadan identifies 12 universities that bets offer Computer Science.

Computer Science students (Jigpoly)
If Computer Science is the course you choose to study in the university, then you've got to choose the university that best offers the program.
Recently, Pulse informed admission seekers about institutions that best offer Law and Medicine in the country and many UTME candidates are taking advantage of the guide Pulse Student dishes out on the universities that best offer certain courses.

Unlike Law and Medicine, there is no professional body that rates the study of Computer Science in Nigerian Universities, but lecturers with years of experience in both field and lecture rooms can authoritatively recommend the best school to study this course for admission seekers.

Dr Roberts Charles, who is a Senior Lecturer of Computer Science at the University of Ibadan is one of such authorities.

The lecturer who has been teaching the course for 17 years at the premier University identified 12 universities that have proved to be very good at teaching the course.

In a chat with Pulse Students, Dr Roberts said he drew his conclusions based on his interactions with the graduates of the schools who came for master's program at the University of Ibadan.

Here are the Universities he recommends for admission seekers who want to study computer Science.
University of Ibadan

Federal University of Technology, Akure

Federal University of Technology, Minna

Obafemi Awolowo University, Ife

University of Calabar (UNICAL)

University of Benin, (UNIBEN)

Covenant University, Ota

Lagos State University, Ojo (LASU)

Kwara State University, (KWASU)

Ladoke Akintola University, Ogbomosho

Ekiti State University (EKSU)

University of Lagos, Akoka

Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria.

The lecturer however blamed incompetent lecturers in the universities for the half baked computer science graduates in the country.

"Most Computer Science students in Nigerian Universities today are not practical oriented and it is because they don't have lecturers that are very competent and that is a problem. When the lecturer is not competent, the students too wont be confident in themselves.''
d problem is nt only incompetent lecturers but equipment.4 example in dev.countries they wat u called academic laptops ther nt d conventional advance hp dell imac laptop. Dis once 4 computer student ie they ar device 2 teach u hw 2 type, print etc.bill gate was trying 2 do 1 4 africa one tym but failed due 2 high cost wich mak d laptop expensive 2 african students.dt wat i read in an online article.so i think d solutn is 2 mak very cheap academic laptop,printers wit low spec in china mayb outsource wit nigeria .4our secondary sch student 4 a start den u.n may b brought in partnership wit google 2 handle d issue of internet wifi whereby countries govt.including nigeria govt wil pay 4 d internet wifi.nd also govts wil sign wit u.n 2 put such academic laptops in custom duty free goods. y am sayin dis is because u can nt giv d students home assignment in computer sci. Wich computer dey use.anotha is wen u use sch computer lab if a student spoil a computer keyword or cpu disk tray is d sch. Dt pay 4 d repair nd u knw smal computer repair can cost 5k 2 do.dis can lead d principal 2 blame d computer teacher in his mgt of d lab.but den sum pple may say let d student incure d cost of repair in their sch fees/tuition dt a very gud suggestn but dt leave d issue of home assignment,student preparing 4 test/exam.i think dis 3 issue is d reasn y computer science is taught theoritical.
Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by patriotsam: 12:00pm On Jan 02, 2018
jumaian:

Programming doesn't make you a computer scientist. There are lot to it. We computer scientist build tools and analyse programs or data. Anybody can be a programmer. Even market women could enroll for programming classes at aptech. What would differentiate them from computer scientist is that, do they know how the program runs? the time, space?

U said "we computer scientist build tools and analyze PROGRAMS".... May I ask what will you use to build the tools, is it not by PROGRAMMING.

"anybody can be a programmer".. So far someone is a programmer, he's already a computer scientist.
Though I agree computer science is wide but you cannot say a programmer is not a computer scientist

1 Like

Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by guru90: 12:11pm On Jan 02, 2018
jerrisonjeff:

Graphics and animination.....

Every one is taking computer as programming and they forget that computer science also have different branches over 7 branches and they kip mentioning programming....

I study computer science and informatics in FUO....believe me there is nothing u will achieve except the certificate...

Thinking of doing graphics and animination abroad for my masters

Me, thinking to do my masters via Programming......

Graphics and animation so nice via computer science...

but programming more hard than all......
Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by guru90: 12:15pm On Jan 02, 2018
patriotsam:

Lol. Bro, you still have much to do if you want to be a programmer.
Do you know that computer understands no language except maths.... All these diff programming language translate ur written code to binary code(maths) for computer to understand.
Have you ever thought of why they said maths is the father of technology.
U need to research more bro. Jahbless

additional...

It translates it to machine language (Binary code (0 and 1))........
Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by Dohyn3(f): 12:25pm On Jan 02, 2018
izzyybothe17:

Lasuite? You a Fresher or staylite?

Staylite. ..And is this not Izzy? on Lasu Aspirants...? shocked Wow! Am really happy for you. You finally got your choice course.
Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by ZeroShenanigan(m): 12:29pm On Jan 02, 2018
Even before checking the list, i know my alma mater will make it up to the category. Kwara State University, KWASU. Indeed a World Class University.

1 Like

Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by izzyybothe17: 12:31pm On Jan 02, 2018
Dohyn3:

Staylite.
..And is this not Izzy? on Lasu Aspirants...? shocked
Wow! Am really happy for you. You finally got your choice course.

Oh Yea! Its me. . . . Cant remember ya name, seems like you know me wella o . . . .
Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by Dohyn3(f): 12:38pm On Jan 02, 2018
izzyybothe17:

Oh Yea! Its me. . . . Cant remember ya name, seems like you know me wella o . . . .

Lol. Not really...
You are quite outspoken in the group...
Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by Vstuffs(m): 12:40pm On Jan 02, 2018
patriotsam:

U said "we computer scientist build tools and analyze PROGRAMS".... May I ask what will you use to build the tools, is it not by PROGRAMMING.

"anybody can be a programmer".. So far someone is a programmer, he's already a computer scientist.
Though I agree computer science is wide but you cannot say a programmer is not a computer scientist
Sir, a programmer is not a Computer Scientist, it is more like comparing a Bricklayer and a Civil or an Architecture Engineer
Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by petchi: 1:40pm On Jan 02, 2018
What all these schools you mention will teach is old Programming language like Fortron,Kobol. You can't learn any modern programming language in them. God to these private university and learn relevant computer programs.
Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by jerrisonjeff(m): 2:03pm On Jan 02, 2018
ITS GOOD BUT PROGRAMING IS VERY VAST.....
WITH MANY LANGUAGES....IF U FOCUS ON JAVA SOME INDUSTRY WILL SAY ITS C++ OR C# LANGUAGE WHILE SOME STILL LIKES FORTRAN,
Q-BASICS AND PYTHON

MY REASON IS PROGRAMMING IS VAST AND MY HEAD CANNOT CARRY IT....
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;
x=3;
y=5;
z=x+y;
..............etc
guru90:

Me, thinking to do my masters via Programming......

Graphics and animation so nice via computer science...

but programming more hard than all......
Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by faithogiga(m): 2:17pm On Jan 02, 2018
sorry, i have to delete this comment, the links won't work again
Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by FaroukM(m): 2:30pm On Jan 02, 2018
Futminna teminikansoso...!!! grin
Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by SoldierBoy1(m): 2:56pm On Jan 02, 2018
Landmark University, maa no lie u, I be Mech Engine guy but Comp science guys get madddd Labs, na there I write my Matlab exam .... Comp science for Landmark fresh well. Plus u can't just be there and be learning applied mathematics, u gass good in practical or else you would really be missing out. If you don't have the drive, u can't survive.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Universities To Reopen In January 2021 - Ngige / Top 15 Most Competitive Universities In Nigeria / How To Check Admission Status On JAMB CAPS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.