Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,146 members, 7,821,906 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:24 PM

12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science (29098 Views)

TETFund Gives N12bn Grant To 12 Universities To Pioneer Researches / Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? / Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by Nobody: 7:44am On Jan 02, 2018
Na today?

My brother studied education management and does not have any computer certification but gets jobs to develop apps where he earns nothing less than 200k every month.

Who BSc ehp?
Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by TheUbermensch: 7:46am On Jan 02, 2018
Whoever put Uniben here wasn't fair enough.
Computer science in uniben is still FORTRAN and BASIC. Bullshit.
Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by Nobody: 7:47am On Jan 02, 2018
i wudnt advice anyone to study comp sci in a nigerian university itsa waste of time, curriculums are 30yrs behind
instead goto niit or aptech.
Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by akisoft(m): 7:52am On Jan 02, 2018
Gbotun:

To be a good Computer Scientist, the knowledge of Mathematics is very important because without that you can't be a good programmer. Without Mathematics, you will be at sea with some programming languages like FORTRAN,ADA and even the common ones like Java, C, C+ etc still requires basic mathematics.

Mathematics is one of the building blocks of been a computer scientists, but I will tell you why most ppl will disagree, because they think, computer science only involves website designing, basic application development..., as a computer scientists one of things you should able to do is writting complex algorithm to solve complex problems, like routing, cryptography, data mining, Natural Language processing, facial recognition... which requires some math like set theory, geometry, abstract maths(groups and rings, number theory etc..)

8 Likes

Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by datola: 7:52am On Jan 02, 2018
FUTMINA?

1 Like

Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by adigun27: 7:59am On Jan 02, 2018
Timekeeper:
A senior lecturer at the University of Ibadan identifies 12 universities that bets offer Computer Science.

Computer Science students (Jigpoly)
If Computer Science is the course you choose to study in the university, then you've got to choose the university that best offers the program.
Recently, Pulse informed admission seekers about institutions that best offer Law and Medicine in the country and many UTME candidates are taking advantage of the guide Pulse Student dishes out on the universities that best offer certain courses.

Unlike Law and Medicine, there is no professional body that rates the study of Computer Science in Nigerian Universities, but lecturers with years of experience in both field and lecture rooms can authoritatively recommend the best school to study this course for admission seekers.

Dr Roberts Charles, who is a Senior Lecturer of Computer Science at the University of Ibadan is one of such authorities.

The lecturer who has been teaching the course for 17 years at the premier University identified 12 universities that have proved to be very good at teaching the course.

In a chat with Pulse Students, Dr Roberts said he drew his conclusions based on his interactions with the graduates of the schools who came for master's program at the University of Ibadan.

Here are the Universities he recommends for admission seekers who want to study computer Science.
University of Ibadan

Federal University of Technology, Akure

Federal University of Technology, Minna

Obafemi Awolowo University, Ife

University of Calabar (UNICAL)

University of Benin, (UNIBEN)

Covenant University, Ota

Lagos State University, Ojo (LASU)

Kwara State University, (KWASU)

Ladoke Akintola University, Ogbomosho

Ekiti State University (EKSU)

University of Lagos, Akoka

Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria.

The lecturer however blamed incompetent lecturers in the universities for the half baked computer science graduates in the country.

"Most Computer Science students in Nigerian Universities today are not practical oriented and it is because they don't have lecturers that are very competent and that is a problem. When the lecturer is not competent, the students too wont be confident in themselves.''
. Mr man I don't agree with u EKSU has no good lectural in computer science no effective laboratory non of dem can write programming for it to run on a system na saddest dem get like doctor Mrs oyinloye but ask her to write programming and run it na zero b DAT
Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by wickyyolo: 8:00am On Jan 02, 2018
akashi01:
Did I just see Federal University of Technology Minna there?

Don't mislead people bro, computer science over there is basically Applied Mathematics with small computer packaging.

If you're planning on going there, ask yourself can you cope in Maths department.. if you can, good, then go ahead.

If you can't, please just find another course.

Social life can be boring but computer science department is very good in that school. Except you're the lazy type
Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by sircrabo: 8:00am On Jan 02, 2018
Dohyn3:
I know LASU will be there.
That sch is just too good. grin

Did you actually mean that statement? I studied comp Sci there and know what I went through
Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by Nobody: 8:02am On Jan 02, 2018
smiley
Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by ngozianu(m): 8:03am On Jan 02, 2018
The best university to study computer science in Nigeria is UNIVERSITY OF COMPUTER VILLAGE, OITGBA, IKEJA

3 Likes

Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by akisoft(m): 8:03am On Jan 02, 2018
Shittaakeem:

What is this one saying
You don't need mathematics to be good in programming.

Says who? You cannot survive as a programmer without a good maths background, except if you are a HTML Programmer grin even advance CSS requires maths, not to talk of complex algorithms...
Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by jolyment: 8:13am On Jan 02, 2018
Gbotun:

To be a good Computer Scientist, the knowledge of Mathematics is very important because without that you can't be a good programmer. Without Mathematics, you will be at sea with some programming languages like FORTRAN,ADA and even the common ones like Java, C, C+ etc still requires basic mathematics.

I disagree with you,I have a friend that studied software engineering in abroad and did not offer any mathematics module at all.He is very good in programming languages.In abroad,if you want to study computer science,you will face it squarely.
Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by Lucasiangrey: 8:16am On Jan 02, 2018
akashi01:
Did I just see Federal University of Technology Minna there?

Don't mislead people bro, computer science over there is basically Applied Mathematics with small computer packaging.

If you're planning on going there, ask yourself can you cope in Maths department.. if you can, good, then go ahead.

If you can't, please just find another course.
computer is more like applied maths.
Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by GoldNiagara(m): 8:17am On Jan 02, 2018
Dohyn3:
I know LASU will be there. That sch is just too good. grin
LASU product spotted! When some thing is too good that means it is bad.
Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by Lucasiangrey: 8:19am On Jan 02, 2018
We shouldn't mistake computer science for computer programming.

5 Likes

Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by guru90: 8:22am On Jan 02, 2018
Computer science very nice course...., in my next generation.... I will also choose computer science as a course.,,, Computer science is just self employed business.....
Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by guru90: 8:26am On Jan 02, 2018
Lucasiangrey:
We shouldn't mistake computer science for computer programming.

what are you talking?

Note: computer science have 3 main branches...

1. computer Programming
2. networking
3. Web technology...

So, as a computer science student.. kindly make one choice out of the 3 and be professional in it....

Computer science my best course ever...,
Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by Shittaakeem(m): 8:42am On Jan 02, 2018
akisoft:

Says who? You cannot survive as a programmer without a good maths background, except if you are a HTML Programmer grin even advance CSS requires maths, not to talk of complex algorithms...

Really

1 Like

Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by Shaw007(m): 8:51am On Jan 02, 2018
Play with your future and choose uniben. Unless you are prepared to develop yourself personally, don't think you'll study CSC in any Nigerian school and become a pro.

3 Likes

Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by akashi01(m): 8:57am On Jan 02, 2018
Gbotun:

I know but what's the point if all you learn is maths then just a slight touch of Computer science?

I'm telling you, studying computer science in most Nigerian Universities including FUT Minna is a serious waste of time.

Please don't misguide aspirants. I am also a victim of this online stats
Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by akashi01(m): 9:00am On Jan 02, 2018
Lucasiangrey:
computer is more like applied maths.
I know but even at that it shouldn't be 80% maths
Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by akashi01(m): 9:01am On Jan 02, 2018
wickyyolo:

Social life can be boring but computer science department is very good in that school. Except you're the lazy type
Your opinion
Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by akashi01(m): 9:05am On Jan 02, 2018
abujaArchitect:

You must be referring to 8-10yrs ago when it was a double honour course in FUTMx (i.e Maths-Computer)
Around 2011 a big faculty was built and believe you me FUTMx has one of the best computer science dept. in the country.

The lecturer's information is far more updated than yours

FOTRAN at this point in advancement is still updated right??

That's your opinion Sha..
Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by kode12: 9:21am On Jan 02, 2018
olamil34:
Most of it is cram and pour

I studied marketing and I can code in four programming languages
The mistake alot of people make is to think computer science is all about programming,well it is not. You could actually in certain instances be a computer scientist and not program. There's a whole lot more to it, than a mere programmer will grasp. Your ability to code is four languages is just like a man saying he can work with a hoe,axe,cutlass and spade. With computer science you can go a step further a even create new tools.

2 Likes

Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by Alexander001(m): 9:24am On Jan 02, 2018
hahaha. which university of calabar? remove unical abeg
Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by Gbotun(m): 9:33am On Jan 02, 2018
akisoft:

Mathematics is one of the building blocks of been a computer scientists, but I will tell you why most ppl will disagree, because they think, computer science only involves website designing, basic application development..., as a computer scientists one of things you should able to do is writting complex algorithm to solve complex problems, like routing, cryptography, data mining, Natural Language processing, facial recognition... which requires some math like set theory, geometry, abstract maths(groups and rings, number theory etc..)

Thank you jare, most of them do not even know what programming really is. They do not even know what it takes to programme all the games, scientific package, windows etc
Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by jerrisonjeff(m): 9:39am On Jan 02, 2018
guru90:

what are you talking?

Note: computer science have 3 main branches...

1. computer Programming
2. networking
3. Web technology...

So, as a computer science student.. kindly make one choice out of the 3 and be professional in it....

Computer science my best course ever...,

Graphics and animination.....

Every one is taking computer as programming and they forget that computer science also have different branches over 7 branches and they kip mentioning programming....

I study computer science and informatics in FUO....believe me there is nothing u will achieve except the certificate...

Thinking of doing graphics and animination abroad for my masters
Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by donmatin(m): 9:53am On Jan 02, 2018
adigun27:
. Mr man I don't agree with u EKSU has no good lectural in computer science no effective laboratory non of dem can write programming for it to run on a system na saddest dem get like doctor Mrs oyinloye but ask her to write programming and run it na zero b DAT
if they say you should study hard and pass you will say no,people who know whats up appreciate the work Dr Mrs. Oyinloye is doing. By their fruits we know them.
Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by blingxx(m): 9:53am On Jan 02, 2018
Pls I need subjects required for public admin... Can anyone help me
Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by sageb: 10:03am On Jan 02, 2018
Alas! Uniuyo is not listed, then that list is not complete

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Universities To Reopen In January 2021 - Ngige / Top 15 Most Competitive Universities In Nigeria / How To Check Admission Status On JAMB CAPS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.