Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,245 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:02 AM

Keeping Local Chickens - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Keeping Local Chickens (1812 Views)

My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? / How To Successfully Rear Local Chickens/fowls For Money / For Sale, Local Chickens For Breeding/hatching Turkey, Guinea Fowl Eggs. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Keeping Local Chickens by Nobody: 11:18am On Jan 05, 2018
why dont people keep local chickens?
considering you dont necessarily have to buy feed, vaccination etc for them? aand they hardly fall sick and die
yes it may take time to maturity (pls how long does it take?) but wouldnt it be profitable?

They are self reliant and hardy birds with the capacity to withstand harsh weather condition and adaptation to adverse environment. They are known to possess qualities such as the ability to hatch on their own, brood and scavenge for major parts of their food and possess appreciated immunity from endemic diseases...
Re: Keeping Local Chickens by adisabarber(m): 8:08pm On Jan 05, 2018
How many meat dey local chicken body? grin
How many eggs can local chicken lay per year?
Re: Keeping Local Chickens by yuka(m): 8:34pm On Jan 05, 2018
in my area local chicken eggs is more expensive
Re: Keeping Local Chickens by Maqpisces(m): 11:21pm On Jan 05, 2018
But do you know that you can improve the quality and the genetic constituents of the local breeds of chicken by crossing them with the foreign breeds so as to improve their hybrid vigour.
Aside this, they can be crossed with another local breed of Fulani descent that is popularly called GOLOBA. GOLOBA is very hefty and has good mothering ability. With any of these, you are good to go.
Though, there are more to this than the little I have contributed.

1 Like

Re: Keeping Local Chickens by Nobody: 11:10am On Jan 10, 2018
ok great. thanks. i am starting a local chicken farm in rivers state.

i'll look for a way to monetise and make profit from it no matter how small. just for the fun of it though.

(1) (Reply)

Abakaliki Rice Sales / Why You Should Go For Local Fowls / Advice Needed. What Can I Do With 100k In Agriculture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.