Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,210 members, 7,953,775 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 05:46 AM

What To Do With A Degree In English Language - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What To Do With A Degree In English Language (27700 Views)

Cyber Security Or A Degree Top Up / A Job In A Multinational Company Or A Masters Degree In France / Can I Still Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree In Accounting? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What To Do With A Degree In English Language by Shygirl1989(f): 2:03pm On Jan 07, 2018
fratermathy:

I doubt if you read English and Literary Studies well. If you truly did, you would know that graduates of English have a space in every company, firm, bureau, parastatal, etc, that you can think of. So employees need not ask you what you can offer, your resume says it all.

Instead of pursuing phantom certifications that have no bearing with what you read, try and better yourself. Package your resume and apply for jobs as a PR officer, Editor, Speech Writer, OAP, Magazine or Newspaper Journalist, ESL or EFL teacher, etc. Apply to the right firms and you will make it.

Infact, the money I make on Fiverr doing the above I listed per gig is far more than what many of the critics here make in a YEAR. Everyone has to discover themselves, create a niche and make it.

Mind you, I'm also a freelance Web Designer, Graphic Designer, and Code Debugger, Code Editor, etc. And I didn't need to leave my field to make some extra bucks from the above named skills. My exposure to English syntax make programming and coding very easy to catch up on. Most times, I edit the English content in an already written code while I also edit and debug the code itself. You should know what what means in terms of pay.

So stop putting down your discipline if you truly studied English and have a passion for it because I know 60% of English graduates read English because they felt they had no other choice. Many don't even like the course enough to make a living out of it. Unfortunately, we have many dispassionate holders of a pass, third class or a 2.2 grade degree in English. I hope you are not one.

well said ,
the fear of syntax ,then,was the beginning of "wisdom"......but once you understand the basic rudiments, it becomes easy.
if I could i will study english and literature all over again.
I'm surprised that anyone would think that any course that awards a degree in an institution of higher education is "useless" ,that's a rather myopic and unintelligent view.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What To Do With A Degree In English Language by Shygirl1989(f): 2:06pm On Jan 07, 2018
Coefficient:

And don’t forget to paragraph wink

lol,thanks you know phone is not allowing many of us write and punctuate properly again...
Re: What To Do With A Degree In English Language by yinkeys(m): 2:16pm On Jan 07, 2018
Try to be proficient in Microsoft Word, Power Point & Excel spreadsheets. Learn French or German. English alone isn't enough.
Re: What To Do With A Degree In English Language by McLove(m): 2:24pm On Jan 07, 2018
Is there any online course that comes with certificate English Students can do?
Re: What To Do With A Degree In English Language by richfriendsng: 2:25pm On Jan 07, 2018
Shygirl1989:

congratulations
Depending on the school you got admission into,some schools offer English and another course, mine was English and literature from the university of Benin. Be prepared to have a lot of what you thought was correct English "corrected" ,be prepared to have almost everyone you know ask you to correct every single statement they make. Be prepared to read a whole lot,especially outside your class texts,its very helpful,i found it useful,practice what you're taught always,dont be shy to stop speaking pidgin,it helps too,and quit writing in short hand. English is very interesting and you'd find it both useful and practical after graduation.
God bless you sire
Re: What To Do With A Degree In English Language by tzoracle: 2:25pm On Jan 07, 2018
edoman2016:
May God help Nigerian graduates from courses such as English language, philosophy, archaeology, sociology, and so on. Those courses are theoretical and useless in this modern world of skill acquisition.

my mom has a first degree in English, she gets paid good money to write speeches, edit articles and much more. knowledge of good English is a skill. It would interest you to know how much free lance editors make especially on fiverr, don't be ignorant

1 Like

Re: What To Do With A Degree In English Language by richfriendsng: 2:26pm On Jan 07, 2018
Stormyweather:
take your phonetics and syntax seriously, then start literary theory and criticism. Do all the above mentioned and a few you can think of and you are sure of a 2.1.
Thank you so much Sire
Re: What To Do With A Degree In English Language by ajepako(f): 2:42pm On Jan 07, 2018
As a holder of two degrees in English Language (B. A, and M. A)

With VERY comfy pay from my course of study and numerous and vast prospects l can explore.....

I make bold to say: English Language as a course of study is the best!

4 Likes

Re: What To Do With A Degree In English Language by McLove(m): 2:44pm On Jan 07, 2018
ajepako:
As a holder of two degrees in English Language (B. A, and M. A)

With comfy pay from my course of study and numerously vast prospects l can explore.....

I make bold to say: English Language as a course of study is the best!
Can you recommend any online course?
Re: What To Do With A Degree In English Language by McLove(m): 2:45pm On Jan 07, 2018
olawaletimi:
Op, are these job opportunities the same for a degree holder in English Education?
Definitely
Re: What To Do With A Degree In English Language by ajepako(f): 2:47pm On Jan 07, 2018
McLove:
Can you recommend any online course?

It depends on what field...

If you're into education, get CIE (Cambridge lnternational Examination) certification..

Get in touch with British Council in Thomson Avenue lkoyi for that..
Re: What To Do With A Degree In English Language by Jhayeahsam01(m): 3:13pm On Jan 07, 2018
sunday school teacher
Re: What To Do With A Degree In English Language by chii8(f): 3:32pm On Jan 07, 2018
richfriendsng:
Any English language student or graduate in the house, pls help a brother, what should I lookout for as a student who just got newly admitted in the department, what are your piece of advice for me, I want to excel in that field. 100level right now

List of beautiful blog sites at a giveaway price, grab one like a boss ,

simple,tell your parent to go rob a bank because you are going buy books and buy books till you turn your room to a mini library
Check them out yourself

3 6 0 c l a s s g i s t . g a

And

3 6 0 g i s t 4 u . g a

price lil bit negotiable
Re: What To Do With A Degree In English Language by writeprof(m): 3:45pm On Jan 07, 2018
Funjosh:
Me : am studying English Language

My friends : you want to be a teacher

The exact question an aunt asked me 17yrs ago when I told her I had admission to study English.

An English graduate can go into writing and publishing as well.
Re: What To Do With A Degree In English Language by writeprof(m): 3:46pm On Jan 07, 2018
Funjosh:
Me : am studying English Language

My friends : you want to be a teacher

The exact question an aunt asked me 17yrs ago when I told her I had admission to study English.
Re: What To Do With A Degree In English Language by writeprof(m): 3:47pm On Jan 07, 2018
An English graduate could write books and also go into printing and publishing business.
Re: What To Do With A Degree In English Language by MightySparrow: 3:48pm On Jan 07, 2018
I was going to say you should contest the throne of the Queen of England. We will pay tribute to you if the need arises
Re: What To Do With A Degree In English Language by Fianze93(m): 4:00pm On Jan 07, 2018
Grammarian's are Great... There is no controversy!!

Adonike:
Nice Job Op..

English Language as a career path is not a bad choice at all especially for those with dream of becoming teachers.

Where the challenge lies is when one decides to rely on the many quack higher institutions of learning here in the country for the degree. Having visited many campuses in the country, I discovered that many of the lecturers do not flow well in the language, and would rather depend heavily in the native language when delivering lectures.

I will advise any serious minded student who will want to carve a niche for himself/herself in the English career path to look to the way of ANAMBRA STATE UNIVERSITY (now Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University) for it.

The department of English of that school rocks!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What To Do With A Degree In English Language by najoomey(m): 4:17pm On Jan 07, 2018
I'm proud to be a English language student
I'm currently in level 300, before I was naive about which job can I get with degree in English qualification, I always give myself an answer that you're going to be a teacher, during my first year I have a fear if been a teacher but due to studying English and also education, I fought my fear, now I'm eager to be a teacher.
thanks to the writer of this article, because now I know where to cut.
thanks

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What To Do With A Degree In English Language by najoomey(m): 4:20pm On Jan 07, 2018
ajepako:

It depends on what field...

If you're into education, get CIE (Cambridge lnternational Examination) certification..

Get in touch with British Council in Thomson Avenue lkoyi for that..
tell me more because I'm also offering education
Re: What To Do With A Degree In English Language by najoomey(m): 4:23pm On Jan 07, 2018
HushTee:
An English language degree is constructed to push you to analyze theories, read books, critique verse and prose and take a more detailed look at the words and signs surrounding us daily. The goal is to make you as an English Language student think analytically and creatively about the English language.
If you are about studying for a degree in English language, and are skeptical about it? Or you already have a BA in English and you're not sure of what your next career step should be ? Here are some ideas on what to do with a degree in English Language

First …Why study English? The following are some of the reasons why you should study English
More employment opportunities: Your employment and career prospects can exponentially increase. Individuals who have the capacity to efficiently speak English language alongside another the English are in high demand and are always sought after by organizations of various kinds including international organizations. When in search of a job, the ability to speak with precision and confidence as using the English language can give you an edge against others.
Transferable Skills: The transferable skills of the English language degree are very high in demand. Some of these skills have to do with communication, getting information, writing ability among a host of other
Combined Courses: English departments provide some double honor degrees which means that you would have the capacity to merge a linguistic or literary education alongside any passion you might have.
Versatility: When it has to do with matters of trade or business, the common currency happens to be English. By attaining a degree in English, you would have the ability to carry out business transactions as well as effectively write reports, agreements, and memos. It also provides the possibility of having a career in business if you desire.

What to do with a degree in English Language
Graduates of English language always find lots of opportunities with a host of employers, OR You could also choose to be self-employed, building your business/company’s services around what these organizations offer. They include private and public sector organizations, legal and financial firms, educational institutions, national and local government, charitable and voluntary organizations, media organizations, public relation agencies, publishing companies, tourism agencies, and leisure agencies always provide employment for graduates of English language.
The following are some opportunities available for English language students
1. Job Opportunities
a. Magazine journalist
b. English as a foreign language teacher
c. Digital copywriter
d. Web content manager
e. Writer
f. Newspaper journalist
g. Publishing copy-editor/proofreader
h. Advertising account executive
i. Lexicographer
j. Arts administrator
k. Advertising account executive
l. Academic librarian
m. Information officer
n. Advertising copywriter
o. General Manager
p. Researcher
2. Internship Opportunities: The above listed job opportunities are also usually available for interns. While they may not be a satisfactorily paying position, they are perfect to start building your career and gaining work experience before you graduate
3. Further Study: You can also choose to further your studies by going for your masters degree in study areas related to English Language, particularly in the Arts, Humanities, Social Sciences, and Management Sciences.

Tips for your CV
Work Experience: Because English is a course which is not vocational, the skills attained outside your study are crucial in creating a CV that is well rounded. For example, while in the university a lot of English students will write for magazines and newspapers for students, volunteer in local schools or communities or get involved with student film societies. Any evidence of skills attained from extracurricular activities can aid in enhancing your prospects for a job.
Needed Skills/Proficiencies: The main strength possessed by graduates in English language is the capacity to efficiently communicate both in writing and orally. Having a degree in English language however aids in the development of the following:
a. Ability to research effectively
b. Organization and time management
c. Teamwork and negotiating to present information and ideas
d. Participating and leading discussions
e. Articulation understanding and knowledge of texts, theories and concepts
f. Efficiently passing across opinions and ideas as well as thinking creatively.
g. Critical analysis and reasoning
h. Utilizing your judgement in determining other perspectives

Conclusion
Graduates of English have a diverse range of career choices and will gain the skills required to function in almost any kind of industry making a degree in English very useful. Now you have some ideas on what to do with a degree in English Language, right?

In the comments section below, please let's know about your ideas on what you think an English Language Student can do with a his/her degree. I look forward to hearing from you
is there any diffrence between B.A English and B.A ed English?
Re: What To Do With A Degree In English Language by ajepako(f): 4:25pm On Jan 07, 2018
najoomey:

tell me more because I'm also offering education

With the above certification, you could teach and prepare candidates for British examinations like IGCSE, Checkpoint, O-Levels, British A-Levels, IELTS and even American curricular like SAT and TOEFL

Very good pay believe me

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What To Do With A Degree In English Language by Nobody: 4:28pm On Jan 07, 2018
Nnachuka:
are you a writer? if so let's talk

Yes, I am.
Re: What To Do With A Degree In English Language by najoomey(m): 4:30pm On Jan 07, 2018
ajepako:

With the above certification, you could teach and prepare candidates for British examinations like IGCSE, Checkpoint, O-Levels, British A-Levels, IELTS and even American curricular like SAT and TOEFL

Very good pay believe me
thanks
Re: What To Do With A Degree In English Language by fratermathy(m): 5:10pm On Jan 07, 2018
najoomey:

is there any diffrence between B.A English and B.A ed English?

One is a single honors degree in English while the other is a double honors degree in English and Education. B.A.(Ed.) is recommended if you intend teaching at secondary schools or lecturing at Colleges of Education.
Re: What To Do With A Degree In English Language by kolaranking1(m): 5:43pm On Jan 07, 2018
Abeg we wey dey study music nko?
Re: What To Do With A Degree In English Language by eightsin(m): 6:14pm On Jan 07, 2018
BluntBoy:

Administrative officer at Amunututu Grammar School.

lol.. wrong bro!
Re: What To Do With A Degree In English Language by Funjosh(m): 7:41pm On Jan 07, 2018
Bifrost:

Me: But it's not 'am', it's 'I'm'. If you can't distinguish between these, how will you even get the chance to teach.

It's a pity I never had the chance to study it. embarassed
Re: What To Do With A Degree In English Language by Geofavor(m): 8:45pm On Jan 07, 2018
edoman2016:
May God help Nigerian graduates from courses such as English language, philosophy, archaeology, sociology, and so on. Those courses are theoretical and useless in this modern world of skill acquisition.
which nigerian school offers archaeology?
Re: What To Do With A Degree In English Language by Geofavor(m): 8:58pm On Jan 07, 2018
There is no single day I don't learn and practice English. I have often been castigated because of my proficiency in the use of this lovely language. Some of my course mates often tell me that I ought to be studying law or some other 'English-required course'. I have been tagged with all sorts of names, the most common being 'English man'. But do I care? No. Because, unlike the average Nigerian, I know what the power of eloquence can do.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What To Do With A Degree In English Language by edoman2016: 9:02pm On Jan 07, 2018
Geofavor:
which nigerian school offers archaeology?
University of Ibadan does.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

MSc Holder Lost A Job Opportunity Because Of Abbreviations In His Application / Should I Join The Nigerian Legion? / Graduate Without A Job? How To Create A Job From Home (secrets)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.