Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,222 members, 7,818,762 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:01 AM

What To Do With A Degree In English Language - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What To Do With A Degree In English Language (27009 Views)

Cyber Security Or A Degree Top Up / A Job In A Multinational Company Or A Masters Degree In France / Can I Still Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree In Accounting? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What To Do With A Degree In English Language by Geofavor(m): 9:04pm On Jan 07, 2018
edoman2016:

University of Ibadan does.
wow. That's cool of them. I wish my school offered it.
Re: What To Do With A Degree In English Language by Bifrost: 12:51am On Jan 08, 2018
Funjosh:

It's a pity I never had the chance to study it. embarassed
You have now. Good luck. grin
Re: What To Do With A Degree In English Language by Bifrost: 12:55am On Jan 08, 2018
Geofavor:
which nigerian school offers archaeology?

University of Nigeria, Nsukka. Actually a double Honours (with Tourism).
Re: What To Do With A Degree In English Language by churchee: 4:26pm On Jan 08, 2018
Bifrost:

University of Nigeria, Nsukka. Actually a double Honours (with Tourism).

With tourism, how many countries will they tour?
Re: What To Do With A Degree In English Language by Bifrost: 4:57pm On Jan 08, 2018
churchee:

With tourism, how many countries will they tour?

Hahahaha... Let them start from Ezeagu waterfalls, Ogbunike caves etc Before they go International. grin

1 Like

Re: What To Do With A Degree In English Language by churchee: 5:11pm On Jan 08, 2018
cheesy grin cheesy
Bifrost:

Hahahaha... Let them start from Ezeagu waterfalls, Ogbunike caves etc Before they go International. grin
cheesy
Bifrost:

Re: What To Do With A Degree In English Language by KennethEnyi(m): 6:20pm On Aug 25, 2021
Rubbish degree
Re: What To Do With A Degree In English Language by FaruqMadridCr7(m): 12:38pm On Jun 15, 2022
fratermathy:

I doubt if you read English and Literary Studies well. If you truly did, you would know that graduates of English have a space in every company, firm, bureau, parastatal, etc, that you can think of. So employees need not ask you what you can offer, your resume says it all.

Instead of pursuing phantom certifications that have no bearing with what you read, try and better yourself. Package your resume and apply for jobs as a PR officer, Editor, Speech Writer, OAP, Magazine or Newspaper Journalist, ESL or EFL teacher, etc. Apply to the right firms and you will make it.

Infact, the money I make on Fiverr doing the above I listed per gig is far more than what many of the critics here make in a YEAR. Everyone has to discover themselves, create a niche and make it.

Mind you, I'm also a freelance Web Designer, Graphic Designer, and Code Debugger, Code Editor, etc. And I didn't need to leave my field to make some extra bucks from the above named skills. My exposure to English syntax made programming and coding very easy to catch up on. Most times, I edit the English content in an already written code while I also edit and debug the code itself. You should know what what means in terms of pay.

So stop putting down your discipline if you truly studied English and have a passion for it because I know 60% of English graduates read English because they felt they had no other choice. Many don't even like the course enough to make a living out of it. Unfortunately, we have many dispassionate holders of a pass, third class or a 2.2 grade degree in English. I hope you are not one.

@fratermathy I would love to send you an email sir.... please accept my mail request.
Thanks.
Re: What To Do With A Degree In English Language by Love800(m): 1:31am On Mar 16
Hello.
Do u know how one can get employed in a radio?
mickeyenglish:
Hmm.. Where do we start from.. Okay. I am also an English-Lang graduate, though a recent one from OAU.If you are creative though, you could seriously make it as a writer,Journalist, presenter, OAP and, blogger (in the case of a blogger, you should be familiar with a wide range of issues and not be limited to a particular niche)or you could diversify into other totally different terrains away from your course of study. To me, It is definitely hopeless to further in the course except you are gunning for a PhD .

Well,for those with the mindset of English studies as a road map to primary and secondary school teaching, it gladdens me to inform you that it's all heresay. If indeed you studied or currently studying the course, then you would have realized by now that it's a whole new world and different experience especially when you get to your Part 3.There,you start undergoing gruesome training in fields such as Sociolinguistics, Pyscholinguistics,Multilingualism, Discourse Analysis, Pragmatics, History of the English language etc. At that point in time, you would question the stereotype attached to the course concerning teaching .

Conversely, you are trained to be a universal being, with range of other Faculty courses such as Philosophy, Dramatic/theater Arts, History, foreign languages and lots more. You are expected to be unique, creative and different from your peers from other spheres of Discipline. While others think ofmagnanimousn ambiguous and intimidating CV, you should learn to create an ambiguous and intimidating YOU. No company or Organization wants to see your CV as an English graduate because they don't need it. What they want is what you can offer them .You could start your little company on anything be it publishing, entertainment,media and communications,etc.

Furthermore, alot of graduates often complain about not getting that preferred colar job while their friends are getting them in double. They have failed to realise that they have been destined not to have an office because the World itself is your office. You were trained not to become an engineer, medical Doctor, Lawyer but a creative thinker, a forged Skeptic and rationalist and ,a universal analyst equipped with the linguistic skills to unravel and conjure.In other words you need to be creative. Search deeper within yourself and start to think.

Finally friend, what you have in hand right now, is worth more that a handful of diamonds. The course you despise now is the knowledge alot of people are yearning for. Don't you realise right now that a lot of the so-called "Creative writters" in the industry now, are mainly Lawyers and experts from other fields of life.They have discovered too late the essence of creative writing and they try foolishly to quicky do a surface learning of what took you years and numerous semesters to learn. They all want to be like you and envy you because they realize that they would never get the type of your knowledge when it comes to matters relating to creativity within the arts and humanities.

Post No Bill

Re: What To Do With A Degree In English Language by Love800(m): 1:34am On Mar 16
Hello.
Do u know how one can be employed in a radio?
fratermathy:

I doubt if you read English and Literary Studies well. If you truly did, you would know that graduates of English have a space in every company, firm, bureau, parastatal, etc, that you can think of. So employees need not ask you what you can offer, your resume says it all.

Instead of pursuing phantom certifications that have no bearing with what you read, try and better yourself. Package your resume and apply for jobs as a PR officer, Editor, Speech Writer, OAP, Magazine or Newspaper Journalist, ESL or EFL teacher, etc. Apply to the right firms and you will make it.

Infact, the money I make on Fiverr doing the above I listed per gig is far more than what many of the critics here make in a YEAR. Everyone has to discover themselves, create a niche and make it.

Mind you, I'm also a freelance Web Designer, Graphic Designer, and Code Debugger, Code Editor, etc. And I didn't need to leave my field to make some extra bucks from the above named skills. My exposure to English syntax made programming and coding very easy to catch up on. Most times, I edit the English content in an already written code while I also edit and debug the code itself. You should know what what means in terms of pay.

So stop putting down your discipline if you truly studied English and have a passion for it because I know 60% of English graduates read English because they felt they had no other choice. Many don't even like the course enough to make a living out of it. Unfortunately, we have many dispassionate holders of a pass, third class or a 2.2 grade degree in English. I hope you are not one.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Do You Need A Better Job 2020? Come in! Lets get you a job / Should I Consider This As A Rejection Message / Graduate Upstream Trainee Programme 2021 At Sahara Group

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.