Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,607 members, 7,812,996 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:26 AM

Why People Are Atheists? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why People Are Atheists? (11708 Views)

All Christians And Muslims Are Atheists. / Are Atheists Qualified To Speak On Christianity? / Are Atheists And Skeptics Just An Angry Bunch Or Are They Actually Realistic? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why People Are Atheists? by budaatum: 5:40pm On Jan 09, 2018
butterflyl1on:

You would make a very bad psychologist. When anyone questions, there are many underlying factors. You say his questioning gives you confidence but you forget that questioning does not necessarily mean a change but it might mean a healing based on such questions coming from a place of complex or trauma or abuse ..............
A healing is a change. And the answers to your questions may provoke it. But allow me for once to let a better person tell you:

Jesus said, "Those who seek should not stop seeking until they find. When they find, they will be disturbed. When they are disturbed, they will marvel, and will reign over all. [And after they have reigned they will rest.]"

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why People Are Atheists? by budaatum: 5:45pm On Jan 09, 2018
ScienceWatch:
what gave you all that confidence in TheWesterner again?
I have confidence in TheWesterner. It's my nature to have confidence in people unless they give me sufficient reason not to have confidence in them.

You may wish to see here how my confidence in a certain person gradually evaporated.
Re: Why People Are Atheists? by ScienceWatch: 6:03pm On Jan 09, 2018
budaatum:

I have confidence in TheWesterner. It's my nature to have confidence in people unless they give me sufficient reason not to have confidence in them.

You may wish to see here how my confidence in a certain person gradually evaporated.
TheWesterner will certainly find it odd, that after arriving at a Thread for the very first, he makes one very brief statement then quickly leaves the foul smelling Thread, now hear hears that BudaAtum has strong confidence in him. This smells FISHY !! Please excuse the pun.
Re: Why People Are Atheists? by butterflyl1on: 6:08pm On Jan 09, 2018
budaatum:

A healing is a change. And the answers to your questions may provoke it. But allow me for once to let a better person tell you:

Jesus said, "Those who seek should not stop seeking until they find. When they find, they will be disturbed. When they are disturbed, they will marvel, and will reign over all. [And after they have reigned they will rest.]"

No wonder you are a confused atheist. You are quoting from the book of Thomas which is in itself questionable.

Continue deceiving yourself because when Jesus spoke about seeking and asking and knocking I am sure you know where those are in the true scriptures.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why People Are Atheists? by butterflyl1on: 6:12pm On Jan 09, 2018
pesty100:
religion isn't itself hope, it a pipe dream. Atheism offers a way of viewing the world not hindered by superstition or dogmas. If you want to call a pipe dream hope, then go ahead as long as you sleep better at night

grin cheesy

Okay then indulge me. How do atheists view the world?

Allow me to itemise some specific areas for you.

1. Life
2. Purpose
3. Having kids and the purpose behind this
4. Direction based on morals

Offer me how atheists view their world with the above listed items in view.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why People Are Atheists? by budaatum: 6:25pm On Jan 09, 2018
butterflyl1on:

I am sure you know where those are in the true scriptures.
Matthew 7:7

Luke 11:9

The GoT just puts it better.
Re: Why People Are Atheists? by butterflyl1on: 6:32pm On Jan 09, 2018
budaatum:

Matthew 7:7

Luke 11:9

The GoT just puts it better.

He never put anything together. He was saying something totally different. This was actually how scripture was authenticated. Other books supported each other while the book of Thomas was saying something totally different.

If one book says A and another book becomes a witness of the first book then that means both books are true. But when a third is saying its own thing without any witness then it cannot be put side by side with the first 2 books.

1 Like

Re: Why People Are Atheists? by pesty100(m): 6:42pm On Jan 09, 2018
butterflyl1on:

grin cheesy

Okay then indulge me. How do atheists view the world?

Allow me to itemise some specific areas for you.

1. Life
2. Purpose
3. Having kids and the purpose behind this
4. Direction based on morals

Offer me how atheists view their world with the above listed items in view.
when we talk about life, we know we are born and we know we die. To be conscious and to know that we are conscious is a thing of beauty, since we know that we are going to die and that's the end of it for us, it will either lead to us being a good or a bad person. The question of purpose is tricky in that: should we be asking what our purpose is? or should we accept the fact that the question in itself it's wrong and we should make up our own purpose to better make use and maximise the of our limited time here to ourselves and by extention the society. Being an human though has its benefits comes with its own embargo, I'd rather not exist in truth so i see no reason why I should bring a child am suppose to love into consciousness with its embargoes. When it comes to morals I'd say treat others as you want to be treated.

Note: these are my opinions as a human atheist i.e this doesn't represent the opinion of all those who call themselves atheist
Re: Why People Are Atheists? by bloodofthelamb(m): 6:43pm On Jan 09, 2018
johnydon22:

Who says you must believe something?

Listen brother. There is more to life than just hot and cold. You must not believe in something, there is no obligation hinged on that.

You don't know what to believe. I say that you don't have to believe in anything.

Whether to believe there is a God or that there is none - you don't need to believe either.

Do not exhaust yourself mentally stuck in the dilemma of what to believe. you musn't

Every living soul believe in something, whether conciously or unconciously...

No man is deviod of believe.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why People Are Atheists? by johnydon22(m): 6:57pm On Jan 09, 2018
bloodofthelamb:

Every living soul believe in something, whether conciously or unconciously...

No man is deviod of believe.

Depends on what the subject is
Re: Why People Are Atheists? by budaatum: 7:10pm On Jan 09, 2018
butterflyl1on:

He was saying something totally different.
I like what they say he said.
Re: Why People Are Atheists? by butterflyl1on: 7:16pm On Jan 09, 2018
author=pesty100 post=64043645] when we talk about life, we know we are born and we know we die. To be conscious and to know that we are conscious is a thing of beauty, since we know that we are going to die and that's the end of it for us, it will either lead to us being a good or a bad person

So the fear of dying is what makes you either do good or do evil right? So you are afraid of death! grin

Also what is good and what is evil to you and how do you know which is which outside human laws especially since humans laws vary from country to country. E. G .bestiality, and it's likes.

The question of purpose is tricky in that: should we be asking what our purpose is? or should we accept the fact that the question in itself it's wrong and we should make up our own purpose to better make use and maximise the of our limited time here to ourselves and by extention the society. Being an human though has its benefits comes with its own embargo, I'd rather not exist in truth so i see no reason why I should bring a child am suppose to love into consciousness with its embargoes.

So you make your own purpose right? Is there any purpose for you outside your job?

Regarding life in your opinion you would rather not be alive and by extension also would rather not have kids grin

Yet you say atheism is not hopelessness in all things? TheWesterner needs to read this. This is how Hitler started.

When it comes to morals I'd say treat others as you want to be treated.

Note: these are my opinions as a human atheist i.e this doesn't represent the opinion of all those who call themselves atheist

Again what is right and what is wrong.

Sciencewatch you need to read this guys so called personal atheistic opinions grin cheesy
Re: Why People Are Atheists? by butterflyl1on: 7:17pm On Jan 09, 2018
johnydon22:

Give me just one subject that is devoid of belief. Just one and let's put it to the test.
Re: Why People Are Atheists? by pesty100(m): 7:33pm On Jan 09, 2018
butterflyl1on:

So the fear of dying is what makes you either do good or do evil right? So you are afraid of death! grin

Also what is good and what is evil to you and how do you know which is which outside human laws especially since Iowa humans laws vary from country to country. E. G .bestiality, and it's likes.

So you make your own purpose right? Is there any purpose for you outside your job?

Regarding life in your opinion you would rather not be alive and by extension also would rather not have kids grin

Yet you say atheism is not hopelessness in all things? TheWesterner needs to read this. This is how Hitler started.

Again what is right and what is wrong.

Sciencewatch you need to read this guys so called personal atheistic opinions grin cheesy

It's not the fear of but rather the knowledge of one's mortality. The emphasis is on choice one chooses to be either good or bad, irrespective of their belief. Have already said that we create our own purpose and that's it for me. To be frank it's just the way I view the world irrespective of what I choose to believe.
Re: Why People Are Atheists? by pesty100(m): 7:40pm On Jan 09, 2018
[quote author=butterflyl1on post=64044394] the question of what is right and wrong is a question I don't think anyone has the right answer to all the time. When I was doing ethics in an organization 200lvl from the literatures I read the experts really couldn't come to a conclusion on what the right conduct should be all the time, and the advised that one should use a moral compass when making decisions. In conclusion what is right or wrong cannot be so all the time
One should be prepared to shift a little bit.
Re: Why People Are Atheists? by butterflyl1on: 7:46pm On Jan 09, 2018
[quote author=pesty100 post=64044950][/quote]

What is your moral compass?
Re: Why People Are Atheists? by bloodofthelamb(m): 7:49pm On Jan 09, 2018
johnydon22:

You right though. It all depend on the subject, but yet, we all have our believes according to the subject matter.

What we believe rules our action and inaction at all times.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why People Are Atheists? by butterflyl1on: 7:49pm On Jan 09, 2018
pesty100:

It's not the fear of but rather the knowledge of one's mortality. The emphasis is on choice one chooses to be either good or bad, irrespective of their belief. Have already said that we create our own purpose and that's it for me. To be frank it's just the way I view the world irrespective of what I choose to believe.

You are still saying the same thing. You see life as simply here today and worm food tomorrow and that's the end of it which is why you see no reason for children. (in a nutshell you are hopeless so see no reason why you should pass this hopelessness to another through childbirth)

So what purpose outside work, eat, sleep have you created for yourself ever since you became an atheist

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why People Are Atheists? by pesty100(m): 7:49pm On Jan 09, 2018
butterflyl1on:

What is your moral compass?
"what is a?" should be the question
Re: Why People Are Atheists? by pesty100(m): 7:51pm On Jan 09, 2018
butterflyl1on:

You are still saying the same thing. You see life as simply here today and worm food tomorrow and that's the end of it which is why you see no reason for children. (in a nutshell you are hopeless so see no reason why you should pass this hopelessness to another through childbirth)

So what purpose outside work, eat, sleep have you created for yourself ever since you became an atheist
maybe you should cool down and read what I first wrote.
Re: Why People Are Atheists? by bloodofthelamb(m): 7:56pm On Jan 09, 2018
ScienceWatch:
Thewesterner should ask you what is the opposite of belief ?

A man that does not believe in anything can never be trusted, for such a man, everything goes. Even Satanists can not progress deeper without demonstrations of their belief in Satan.

Humans are created to believe, what they choose to believe is the own choice. The spiritual assets of BELIEF AND DOUBT are the two most powerful motivating forces know to man.

Considering the advice you gave to Thewesterner, I would not trust you to train my dog.

Sir, I dey greet o.

1 Like

Re: Why People Are Atheists? by pesty100(m): 7:56pm On Jan 09, 2018
butterflyl1on:

that is definitely not the reason I see for not wanting children.
Re: Why People Are Atheists? by butterflyl1on: 7:57pm On Jan 09, 2018
pesty100:
maybe you should cool down and read what I first wrote.

I am very quick with assimilation alright and I do not read to read twice before Inger the picture and what I wrote is what you said.

Also you are yet to list out to me what atheism has to offer humanity.
Re: Why People Are Atheists? by pesty100(m): 7:58pm On Jan 09, 2018
butterflyl1on:

I would live to the fullest and engage in things that makes me happy and fulfilled.
Re: Why People Are Atheists? by butterflyl1on: 7:58pm On Jan 09, 2018
pesty100:
that is definitely not the reason I see for not wanting children.

So what then is since you feel you hold a different reason. Let's see how much hope such a reason holds shall we?
Re: Why People Are Atheists? by pesty100(m): 8:01pm On Jan 09, 2018
butterflyl1on:

I am very quick with assimilation alright and I do not read to read twice before Inger the picture and what I wrote is what you said.

Also you are yet to list out to me what atheism has to offer humanity.
maybe you are assimilating just a little bit too quickly. Have already stated that atheism offers an alternative way of viewing the world free of superstition and religious dogmas.
Re: Why People Are Atheists? by butterflyl1on: 8:01pm On Jan 09, 2018
pesty100:
I would live to the fullest and engage in things that makes me happy and fulfilled.

And what would you say if those things that make you happy and fulfilled are things like bestiality ? Would you still be happy?

Let me rephrase this question, if you have a Daughter or a son who is an atheist and what he called living life to the fullest and happiness is bestiality what would be your response?

Note: I am trying to discover your so called moral compass
Re: Why People Are Atheists? by butterflyl1on: 8:03pm On Jan 09, 2018
pesty100:
maybe you are assimilating just a little bit too quickly. Have already stated that atheism offers an alternative way of viewing the world free of superstition and religious dogmas.

And I have repeatedly asked you what atheism has got to offer humanity in it's alternativeness and you have said nothing.

If it is an alternative to religious dogmas so where are it's benefits and values and on what are they entrenched?
Re: Why People Are Atheists? by pesty100(m): 8:05pm On Jan 09, 2018
butterflyl1on:

So what then is since you feel you hold a different reason. Let's see how much hope such a reason holds shall we?
Being an human though has its benefits comes with its own embargo, I'd rather not exist in truth so i see no reason why I should bring a child am suppose to love into consciousness with its embargoes.

Note: this is me repeating myself. Hope you didn't miss this with all your fast assimilation.
Re: Why People Are Atheists? by butterflyl1on: 8:06pm On Jan 09, 2018
pesty100:
"what is a?" should be the question

Remember you said what you wrote is YOUR PERSONAL VIEW as an atheist so I am specifically asking for your moral compass and not a general one.
Re: Why People Are Atheists? by bloodofthelamb(m): 8:09pm On Jan 09, 2018
Thewesterner:
I don't know what to believe

Dear,

Jesus is derserving of your believe for He has something to offer you now and for forever...

Shalom!
Re: Why People Are Atheists? by ScienceWatch: 8:09pm On Jan 09, 2018
bloodofthelamb:

Sir, I dey greet o.
Greetings to you too Sir

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

The Occult Or Occultism! / Endtimes : People Can Expect Significant Changes By 2030 - Don Koenig / Can You Pray For The Dead? Is It A Futile Effort?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.