Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,628 members, 7,813,068 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:18 AM

"We Wont - Repeat - Wont Renew Iwu's Tenure" Jonathan Assures Obama - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "We Wont - Repeat - Wont Renew Iwu's Tenure" Jonathan Assures Obama (4636 Views)

I’ll Perform Better In My Second Term If Re-Elected - President Jonathan Assures / Jonathan Assures Of Stable Power Supply Mid 2014 / Ex INEC Boss, Iwu's Daughter In NYSC Certificate Scandal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

"We Wont - Repeat - Wont Renew Iwu's Tenure" Jonathan Assures Obama by Borat1: 7:05pm On Apr 09, 2010
Despite the ongoing kicking and screaming by the Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Maurice Iwu, he can kiss the job goodbye. Saharareporters has it on good authority that Acting President has assured the United States that Iwu will certainly be relieved of his post. A senior aide to US President Barack Obama has confirmed that the tenure of Nigeria’s notorious election chief, who has been sponsoring demonstrations in his own interest in Nigeria, will not be renewed no matter the circumstances.

Through his aide, Obama had made the open request that Iwu be dropped as a sign of Nigeria’s commitment to electoral reform. A Saharareporters source said that electoral reform and the insistence by the United States that Jonathan overhaul Nigeria’s anti-corruption agencies formed the fulcrum of the intense negotiations to win a meeting between the two leaders when Jonathan arrives in Washington, DC this weekend. Our sources said Jonathan has a copy of the new names of INEC appointees including new commissioners ready to go to the Council of State for ratification to avoid any situation that would enable Iwu use his contacts in the Nigerian senate to scuttle his removal from office, if it is done unconstitutionally. The source also claimed that Jonathan may have zeroed-in on recently retired Supreme Court justice, George Adesola Oguntade to head INEC.

An aide to Jonathan also confirmed to Saharareporters that Obama is scheduled to meet Jonathan at 5 PM on Sunday in the American capital, but we could not independently confirm that schedule with the White House.
The removal of Iwu from INEC has been made a top priority by the Obama administration as it renewed its interest in Nigeria after Mr. Jonathan took power as “Acting President” following resolutions of the National Assembly two months ago.

Jonathan is expected to arrive in the US on Saturday to attend Obama’s international summit on nuclear non-proliferation, which will feature 40 Heads of State. Nigeria’s participation will signal deeper approval for Jonathan’s government not only with the United States, but within the international community.
Jonathan is expected to take the opportunity to hold a series of bilateral meetings on the margins of the summit with other world leaders. In recent years, Umaru Yar’Adua often avoided such opportunities, mostly on account ill health.
Jonathan is billed to return home to Nigeria on Tuesday.

Source: Sahara Reporters
Re: "We Wont - Repeat - Wont Renew Iwu's Tenure" Jonathan Assures Obama by presido1: 11:43pm On Apr 09, 2010
Why is US dictating who to be sacked and who to be retained. Are they ruling us by proxy?
Re: "We Wont - Repeat - Wont Renew Iwu's Tenure" Jonathan Assures Obama by naijamini(m): 2:32am On Apr 10, 2010
@presido1

Yes, that is essentially what they are implying - we own you now. Why? Well, your country decided to go rudderless for months (not even in Iraq or Afganisthan would that happen) with a president in comma. Meanwhile a Nigerian attempted to blow up an airplane on American soil - you better thank heavens that he failed.

If American doesn't take Nigeria over, Osama bin Laden already had designs. All the while those who could not see beyond their noses were thinking of preserving "power" for themselves.
Re: "We Wont - Repeat - Wont Renew Iwu's Tenure" Jonathan Assures Obama by Afam(m): 8:52am On Apr 10, 2010
The US dictating to Nigeria will only bring more problems for Nigeria and Nigerians in the long run and it is sad to note that we are not seeing things they way they should be seen.
Re: "We Wont - Repeat - Wont Renew Iwu's Tenure" Jonathan Assures Obama by bandely(m): 9:09am On Apr 10, 2010
I'm sure this won't happen if IBB is the Nigerian president.

Though I am in no support of him.
Re: "We Wont - Repeat - Wont Renew Iwu's Tenure" Jonathan Assures Obama by greateliso(m): 12:38pm On Apr 10, 2010
well i don't see any reason why another country should dictate for us, but however is a suggestion. it is left for us to accept or reject it
Re: "We Wont - Repeat - Wont Renew Iwu's Tenure" Jonathan Assures Obama by MPEROR: 12:48pm On Apr 10, 2010
a 200years man can always advice a 50year old man and point him in the right direction
Re: "We Wont - Repeat - Wont Renew Iwu's Tenure" Jonathan Assures Obama by triistar86: 12:51pm On Apr 10, 2010
greateliso:

well i don't see any reason why another country should dictate for us, but however is a suggestion. it is left for us to accept or reject it
And are u seriously considering that we accept or reject that suggestion? At this stage we all know its the right thing to do. And why are we all only talking about the fact that US is dictating to us what to do, how about we admit that they are forcing us to do the right thing uhn sheeesh!
Re: "We Wont - Repeat - Wont Renew Iwu's Tenure" Jonathan Assures Obama by naijamini(m): 12:52pm On Apr 10, 2010
@Afam
It sounds like dictating, but really it is not. It is showing leaders who keep behaving like juveniles, while leading 140 million people,  their imbecility has got to stop. Why? Their incompetence and irresponsibility, coupled with aristocratic stealing, is a threat to global security. This people who cannot keep a coal powerplant or refinery running or guard an airport are talking about building nuclear power plants. There is no doubt that they can throw some of our people's money to get such a plant, the problem is the aftermath.

Iwu doesn't deserve his seat at the head of INEC, he should have been long gone if Yar'adua was half the honest man he made us believe. Since they don't consider the voice of the Nigerian people or performance at your job as decision variables then the only thing is for a bigger dog to humiliate them the way they humiliate our people each and everyday.

In this country an INEC chairman gets a protest and attempt to get 15 million signatures on his behalf. Sickening!

Afam:

The US dictating to Nigeria will only bring more problems for Nigeria and Nigerians in the long run and it is sad to note that we are not seeing things they way they should be seen.
Re: "We Wont - Repeat - Wont Renew Iwu's Tenure" Jonathan Assures Obama by naijamini(m): 1:02pm On Apr 10, 2010
@bandely
I would suggest that you learn a little more about how IBB ruined Nigeria. IBB's "homegrown" SAP was actually dictated by the world bank. Also, IBB had already completed the process of obtaining an IMF loan, while pretending to the Nigerian people by starting a nationwide debate to discuss the merits.

IBB was the one who without consultation single-handedly upgraded Nigeria's membership in the Organization of Islamic Countries, and then denied it.

And who are some of the people that seem to be promoting IBB for president?

What we need is someone that would do the right thing on behalf of the Nigerian people all the time. Otherwise, the world will continue to dictate to us for better or for worse.

bandely:

I'm sure this won't happen if IBB is the Nigerian president.

Though I am in no support of him.
Re: "We Wont - Repeat - Wont Renew Iwu's Tenure" Jonathan Assures Obama by mbulela: 1:13pm On Apr 10, 2010
all these crap stories that are cooked up in beer parlors.
What makes you think Obama is so jobless that he is bothered about Iwu?
Nigerians exaggerate the importance of this country in the comity of Nations.
Obama has more important things to worry about.
As it is, his cup is full at present.
Nigerians had better sort out their issues for their own good.
Last time i checked,we do not have monopoly of oil.
Re: "We Wont - Repeat - Wont Renew Iwu's Tenure" Jonathan Assures Obama by naijamini(m): 1:45pm On Apr 10, 2010
@mbulela
You would have been right before Dec. 25 2009. In fact this was Obama's policy towards Nigeria since he became president - which I think was a mistake by the way.

It is no more about just oil. It is now about the potential threat to security. I agree that we better sort our issues out for our own good. However, since we have "kids" for government America cannot watch until another foolish idiot climbs on a plane.

mbulela:

all these crap stories that are cooked up in beer parlors.
Nigerians exaggerate the importance of this country in the comity of Nations.
As it is, his cup is full at present.
Re: "We Wont - Repeat - Wont Renew Iwu's Tenure" Jonathan Assures Obama by menek(m): 2:21pm On Apr 10, 2010
i
Re: "We Wont - Repeat - Wont Renew Iwu's Tenure" Jonathan Assures Obama by violent(m): 2:28pm On Apr 10, 2010
And why is Iwu reluctant to leave the position anyway? it aint his father's company!
Re: "We Wont - Repeat - Wont Renew Iwu's Tenure" Jonathan Assures Obama by Rudewaterz(m): 3:04pm On Apr 10, 2010
As bizarre as it may sound, whether or not the U.S is dictatin to us doesn't bother me really. ALL I WANT IS FOR EVIL IWU 2 BE KICKED OUT UNCEREMONIOUSLY. GOOD RIDDANCE TO BAD RUBBISH IT WILL BE!!
Re: "We Wont - Repeat - Wont Renew Iwu's Tenure" Jonathan Assures Obama by Nobody: 3:10pm On Apr 10, 2010
Mbulela

Jonnie Carson has already stated the US position openly that they want Iwu removed.

Now that we can assume that Jonathan has finally made a decision I hope everyone will move on and look beyond Iwu. Lets begin to talk about the necessary electoral reforms.
Re: "We Wont - Repeat - Wont Renew Iwu's Tenure" Jonathan Assures Obama by Nigerd(m): 3:54pm On Apr 10, 2010
how u take know
Re: "We Wont - Repeat - Wont Renew Iwu's Tenure" Jonathan Assures Obama by ITbomb(m): 4:14pm On Apr 10, 2010
since we can't solve common constitutional problems, ensure true fedralism (although it's in the book), and understand commonsense features of democracy. I think we should always listen to BIG UNCLE SAM when he is graciously advising(dictating to) us. Long live Nigeria. God Bless America
Re: "We Wont - Repeat - Wont Renew Iwu's Tenure" Jonathan Assures Obama by Megateq(m): 4:25pm On Apr 10, 2010
presido1:

Why is US dictating who to be sacked and who to be retained. Are they ruling us by proxy?

US is not only ruling by proxy , even dictating directly her wishes. Remember, if you are christian , the last world power ruler is Anglo-America. So expect more from America until God` Kingdom
Re: "We Wont - Repeat - Wont Renew Iwu's Tenure" Jonathan Assures Obama by sjeezy8: 4:47pm On Apr 10, 2010
^^^^ totally correct any and all populated democratic countries are westernized and under US directions but not only christians -muslim populated democracys too.

@ post I dont even care the US can tell Nigeria what do because when presidents in third world countries do what they like we have Dictators like Abacha and Mugabe.

make Nigeria a colony again please lmfao- black people dont see themselves equal until the white man comes and tell them "you niggarz are the all same".
Re: "We Wont - Repeat - Wont Renew Iwu's Tenure" Jonathan Assures Obama by cgem: 5:06pm On Apr 10, 2010
The United States knows exactly what they are doing! Yara'adua was never their ally, infact American govt has not been favored by the UMYA govt, during his time he invited Iran to help Nigeria in Nuclear electricity, he sold a lot of oil wells to the chinese, sidelined US and gave Chinese most of our multibillion dollar contracts.
US is happy to have Jonathan, and they will do everything to have Jonathan become president 2011, they want to take good control again of Nigeria's main economic driving tool and that is oil. Removal of Iwu therefore confirms this. Can any country of the world dictate to another country who should head what? the answer is no. But in the case of US they are very interested in the 2011 elections and who governs Nigeria. America do not want the Chinese to have more economic control in Africa's most populous nation and Africa's second largest economy. The saying goes "He who controls Nigeria controls Africa" its a fight of the two nations over Nigeria. Hence, the call for removal of Iwu
Re: "We Wont - Repeat - Wont Renew Iwu's Tenure" Jonathan Assures Obama by violent(m): 5:25pm On Apr 10, 2010
The topic sounded like Poster quoted Jonathan saying "We wont, i repeat wont,. . .Jonathan Assures Obama"

i didn't read that in the article!

It gives the story a form of backing that the Acting President is being dictated to.
Re: "We Wont - Repeat - Wont Renew Iwu's Tenure" Jonathan Assures Obama by luck007(m): 6:14pm On Apr 10, 2010

^^^^ the same thing i was saying to myself when i read the post
Re: "We Wont - Repeat - Wont Renew Iwu's Tenure" Jonathan Assures Obama by AYODEJI4LOVE(m): 6:46pm On Apr 10, 2010
i dont even know what to say
Re: "We Wont - Repeat - Wont Renew Iwu's Tenure" Jonathan Assures Obama by sley4life(m): 6:49pm On Apr 10, 2010
Iwu should get lost
Re: "We Wont - Repeat - Wont Renew Iwu's Tenure" Jonathan Assures Obama by dadus74: 6:57pm On Apr 10, 2010
"He who controls Nigeria controls Africa" its a fight of the two nations over Nigeria
Re: "We Wont - Repeat - Wont Renew Iwu's Tenure" Jonathan Assures Obama by Otobroto(f): 7:48pm On Apr 10, 2010
Re: "We Wont - Repeat - Wont Renew Iwu's Tenure" Jonathan Assures Obama by naijamini(m): 8:45pm On Apr 10, 2010
@cgem
This is the kind of absolutism that us no where. Who were the major investors behind the Chinese economic "miracle"? After they helped S. Korea, H.Kong, Taiwan and Singapore, the Chinese realized what they needed to do - they accepted US help (investment, bilateral cooperation, education, technology) without losing their mind. UMYA's bosom friends in Saudi Araba are at the steps of the Americans, although the same UMYA hypocrisy is keeping them down.

It is a mutual or relative world, however you see it. What has the Chinese brought us?  Nigeria has a choice. We can accept needed help without losing our heads, if our leaders get their heads out of their pockets and start using it, or we can go adrift, in which case the Chinese, Americans or Osama bin Laden will gladly step in.

Our oil, our oil - whose oil are you talking about. The Niger Deltans certainly don't feel like it is their oil because they only see it leaving and the proceeds never come back because it develops legs faster Usain Bolt.

cgem:

The United States knows exactly what they are doing! Yara'adua was never their ally, infact American govt has not been favored by the UMYA govt, during his time he invited Iran to help Nigeria in Nuclear electricity, he sold a lot of oil wells to the chinese, sidelined US and gave Chinese most of our multibillion dollar contracts.
US is happy to have Jonathan, and they will do everything to have Jonathan become president 2011, they want to take good control again of Nigeria's main economic driving tool and that is oil. Removal of Iwu therefore confirms this. Can any country of the world dictate to another country who should head what? the answer is no. But in the case of US they are very interested in the 2011 elections and who governs Nigeria. America do not want the Chinese to have more economic control in Africa's most populous nation and Africa's second largest economy. The saying goes "He who controls Nigeria controls Africa" its a fight of the two nations over Nigeria. Hence, the call for removal of Iwu
Re: "We Wont - Repeat - Wont Renew Iwu's Tenure" Jonathan Assures Obama by peruso: 11:21pm On Apr 10, 2010
presido1:

this is a million naira question. that worth asking
Re: "We Wont - Repeat - Wont Renew Iwu's Tenure" Jonathan Assures Obama by Alxmyr(m): 11:49pm On Apr 10, 2010
The US only re-emphasised what well meaning Nigerians wanted. Imagine Iwu's INEC failed to conduct hitch free council election in Abuja despite the cry for his removal, with 20,000 policemen. How do you expect such man to conduct credible election that will involve 36 states and Abuja?

Some people argued in support of UMYA for shutting out America, is it not crazy thing for him to have done that? Of what use is China to Nigerian economy? Chinese goods are responsible for closing down of many Nigerians factories, loss of jobs, fake and substandard products. Many of you using China phones know what you are going through with those phones. Africa should be very careful with the inculsion of Chinese, they are more evil than the Americans.

Lastly, whilst UMYA shut out America does it affect America a bit? Putting Nigeria on the watch terror list alone cost this country more than all what the Chinese brought to Nigeria since UMYA came into power. And maybe, had UMYA befriends America, he may have recovered from his illness. It is obvious Saudi Arabia does not have a clue to the solution to his health,
Re: "We Wont - Repeat - Wont Renew Iwu's Tenure" Jonathan Assures Obama by ayotee2000(m): 12:04am On Apr 11, 2010
MPEROR:

a 200years man can always advice a 50year old man and point him in the right direction

Bull Shit bro. Even with their far exceeding experience at elections, there's is far from perfection. They're no better than us in electing presidents, they just know how to cover up their failures quickly!

cool
Re: "We Wont - Repeat - Wont Renew Iwu's Tenure" Jonathan Assures Obama by olafolarin(m): 12:33am On Apr 11, 2010
Saharareporters Goofed again.
Most Nigerians want Iwu sacked immediately because of His abysmal failure in conducting any election.
His unending failure is destroyingour Young democracy.
There are more capable Hands to conduct credible elections in Nigeria than Iwu.
He is à disastrius page in our election history As such should Be deleted woh immediate effect.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Supreme Court Upholds Elections Of Rochas And Uduaghan / Indian Firm & Others Bid For Power Distribution Companies / Comparison Of Jonathan's Performance With That Of Buhari 1: Railway (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.