Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,982 members, 7,835,291 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:10 AM

"We Wont - Repeat - Wont Renew Iwu's Tenure" Jonathan Assures Obama - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "We Wont - Repeat - Wont Renew Iwu's Tenure" Jonathan Assures Obama (4648 Views)

I’ll Perform Better In My Second Term If Re-Elected - President Jonathan Assures / Jonathan Assures Of Stable Power Supply Mid 2014 / Ex INEC Boss, Iwu's Daughter In NYSC Certificate Scandal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "We Wont - Repeat - Wont Renew Iwu's Tenure" Jonathan Assures Obama by ODIBABA1: 2:31am On Apr 11, 2010
Who is better than Iwu? They are all the same so far they are dictated to by people like Obasanjo and co. Find solution to your problems and stop criticizing a mere figure head like Iwu. Nigeria's problem lies with those who see Nigeria as war booty and hang on to its leadership without any clue of what leadership actually means. Obama is a proven case of novice when it comes to Nigeria matter; he should ask more fundamental questions rather than dictating who should be sacked as INEC head. I need a break!
Re: "We Wont - Repeat - Wont Renew Iwu's Tenure" Jonathan Assures Obama by Rmc1(m): 4:48am On Apr 11, 2010
IWU SHOULD RUN AWAY BOUNCE!!!!

Iwu is just angry and spiting fire cos he knows the amount of bribe money in the billions that he has already targeted for 2011 elections that he might loose . Iwu is no different from aondoakaa,  both so full of poo.
Re: "We Wont - Repeat - Wont Renew Iwu's Tenure" Jonathan Assures Obama by Rmc1(m): 5:14am On Apr 11, 2010
I just seem to love this jonathan guy he has been doing just the right things since he took charge of the presidency, axing those rutless and heartless cabal who have been holding nigeria by the jugular one by one.  grin while most nigerians keep scratching the symptoms of the sickness of nigeria, jonathan has been rooting out the causes of the sickness which is corruption.

Iwu must go let uncle joe put a very honest, strict, incurruptable person there. Let nigeria have a free and fair elections for once with people who want to serve nigeria and nigerians not those criminals we have there right now, who busy are looting nigeria empty.
Re: "We Wont - Repeat - Wont Renew Iwu's Tenure" Jonathan Assures Obama by chidichris(m): 8:01am On Apr 11, 2010
The US dictating to Nigeria will only bring more problems for Nigeria and Nigerians in the long run and it is sad to note that we are not seeing things they way they should be seen.

@afam,
this same type of reasoning gave birth to nigeria's independence and 50 yrs on, see where we are even in the presence of all natural and human resources God has blessed this country with.
we have shown on several different occassions that we cannot take our decissions.

@topic,
i don't see usa taking our decission for us here rather i see them supporting the ideas of the mjority of nigerians. 99% of nigerians want Iwu out and under the obj led pdp, the opinion of the masses does not make sense hence obama is calling jonathan's attention to the people's interests.
if we are capable of taking our own decissions even with our constitution, what will a sick man doing holding tightly even unconsciously to the presidential seat not minding the implications on the masses and their day to day business lives.
how can the interest of a few surpass that of over 150 million?
we must open our eyes and minds to things that will develope nigeria and not sticking to things thagt have been drawing us backward yet because of pride, we still say we can do it. the truth is that we can't do it now especially with the crop of uncivilized creatures occupying our seat of powers.
even those occupying our seat of powers do not believe in themselves as that counts for their reason to always go to the western world with all their loots for safekeeping.
how can u tell us not to mind the west and whenever u steal here, u run to them to guide the loots for u? that is another way of accepting and appreciating their supperiority by the criminal rulers we have here.
Re: "We Wont - Repeat - Wont Renew Iwu's Tenure" Jonathan Assures Obama by Iysayah(m): 8:12am On Apr 11, 2010
I think we gat d poo we desav.iwu may or maynt be innocent bt who cares? A thief accusd of goat thieving goes about town handling goats not his.he is as controversial as sh*t. He is bakd by his criminal lyks who rig wit such artistic instinct- ekiti election is one masterpiece of dat confusin aesthetic art! They exhibitd what they were born 2 do to d world while Ayoka took 'oofe'. Iwu has bcome d dreaded cat wit 9 livs. Who will bell d cat? Maybe d kenyan warrior can!
Re: "We Wont - Repeat - Wont Renew Iwu's Tenure" Jonathan Assures Obama by akwaowoudo(m): 8:38am On Apr 11, 2010
Good pledge. Let him be sacked. Even Iwu is aware of his incompetency.
Re: "We Wont - Repeat - Wont Renew Iwu's Tenure" Jonathan Assures Obama by jenuel: 11:35am On Apr 11, 2010
Sacking Prof. Iwu is no news at all. He has nothing new to offer except further further methods of election rigging and manipulation. We all should pray that the Acting President wont appoint ''another Iwu''. Naija must survive.
Re: "We Wont - Repeat - Wont Renew Iwu's Tenure" Jonathan Assures Obama by sheriffman(m): 12:45pm On Apr 11, 2010
If we all agree that this is a form of dictation from America then I think that we should heed this advice.As much as I resent American interference in the internal democracy of any country I think what they are trying to say is that Iwu is not accepted that much we all know.Various groups have called for his sack but the Govt.is keeping mum,so if America wants him out Pls I think we should be grateful that they are in this for us.Something we have all overlooked is who will replace Iwu.For me out of all the names that are being touted as replacement I will prefer Olisa Agbakogba.Inthe end I truly pray that we have someone who will be able to do the right things and forget the politicians.
Re: "We Wont - Repeat - Wont Renew Iwu's Tenure" Jonathan Assures Obama by bidemi12(m): 2:29pm On Apr 11, 2010
stupid corrupt and useless people. It is not the man that failed but the system. If you like put Soyinka there and the result will be the same. Ignorance is a disease.
Re: "We Wont - Repeat - Wont Renew Iwu's Tenure" Jonathan Assures Obama by OKEYCHIVIV(m): 3:17pm On Apr 11, 2010
Advice,dictate or whatever,the right thing MUST be done-IWU MUST go;amen.
Re: "We Wont - Repeat - Wont Renew Iwu's Tenure" Jonathan Assures Obama by hbabe(f): 3:30pm On Apr 11, 2010
I agree with Bidemi12. It's the system that failed and the people who control the system appointed and used Iwu to perpetrate their wicked and selfish acts. Can Iwu ensure and deliver free and fair election under a better system? I am of the opinion that Goodluck Jonathan will offer a better electoral system so a new hand is advisable to man it in order to avoid repitition of old mistakes or malpractices. Change in every aspect is needed to achieve electoral reform. We can't have new wine in old skin so Iwu may have to go.
Re: "We Wont - Repeat - Wont Renew Iwu's Tenure" Jonathan Assures Obama by Guylan(m): 5:01pm On Apr 11, 2010
What difference does it make if you the US is dictating to us or not? After all they are telling us to do the right thing. Why are we complaining?
Re: "We Wont - Repeat - Wont Renew Iwu's Tenure" Jonathan Assures Obama by truly: 5:04pm On Apr 11, 2010
ODI_BABA:

Who is better than Iwu? They are all the same so far they are dictated to by people like Obasanjo and co. Find solution to your problems and stop criticizing a mere figure head like Iwu. Nigeria's problem lies with those who see Nigeria as war booty and hang on to its leadership without any clue of what leadership actually means. Obama is a proven case of novice when it comes to Nigeria matter; he should ask more fundamental questions rather than dictating who should be sacked as INEC head. I need a break!
Who is better than Iwu? Is that what this country has degenerated to?
That we cannot produce 1 person better than Iwu if we randomly pick 10,000 Nigerians

I will give you some names
These guys are far better than Iwu that I would support any one of them
Justice Oguntade - check his judgements against UMY and Obj
Obj cannot dictate to him
Justice Belgore - you remember how he rescued Nigeria and Atiku from - Obj, Iwu and Ribadu in 2007
He was the one that gave voice to the supreme court and put and put an end to nightime impeachment of governors in far away lands
Obj must be scared of him
Justice kayode Eso - read his epitaph when Fawehinmi died ("watching greatness pass by"wink and also his judgments as supreme court justice

Unlike Iwu, we know who some of these guys are before taking INEC job
Re: "We Wont - Repeat - Wont Renew Iwu's Tenure" Jonathan Assures Obama by Nobody: 5:28pm On Apr 11, 2010
truly:

Who is better than Iwu? Is that what this country has degenerated to?
That we cannot produce 1 person better than Iwu if we randomly pick 10,000 Nigerians

I will give you some names
These guys are far better than Iwu that I would support any one of them
Justice Oguntade - check his judgements against UMY and Obj
Obj cannot dictate to him
Justice Belgore - you remember how he rescued Nigeria and Atiku from - Obj, Iwu and Ribadu in 2007
He was the one that gave voice to the supreme court and put and put an end to nightime impeachment of governors in far away lands
Obj must be scared of him
Justice kayode Eso - read his epitaph when Fawehinmi died ("watching greatness pass by"wink and also his judgments as supreme court justice

Unlike Iwu, we know who some of these guys are before taking INEC job

Please don't count the Judgement for Atiku in 2007 as a Judicial achievement. That Judgement was faulty and the fact that it was populist and against the will of the sitting President does not make it right.

At the heart of that Judgement is the question of whether we elect parties or individuals. If we elect parties then if Atiku leaves the PDP then he simply forfeits his Vice Presidency, it is that simple. But if we elect individuals then the Judgement is correct.

But based on that Judgement the Supreme Court seemed to suggest we elect individuals. But the same Supreme Court awarded Amaechi in Amaechi vs Omehia the Guber seat without Amaechi standing for elections. This Judgement would have been sound if they are saying what we vote are parties hence whoever is the PDP leader automatically becomes the Governor. So you can see the inconsistencies in these Judgements by the Supreme Court. They seem to be making these things up and Judgements are not right merely because they go against the will of the seating leader.

The Atiku victory and Amaechi victory should not co-exist because they are diametrically opposite.

On the Iwu issue I don't think anybody is suggesting that nobody is more honest or has more integrity than Maurice Iwu. What I think folks are saying is that the election is around the corner and time is too short for any new INEC Chairman to prepare effectively for 2011.
What in my view we need is to appoint these strong personalities into INEC as Electoral Commissioners. I think we need 13, at the moment we only have 4.

This body of ECs have the capacity to influence the decision of INEC Chairman no matter who they are.
Re: "We Wont - Repeat - Wont Renew Iwu's Tenure" Jonathan Assures Obama by truly: 5:31pm On Apr 11, 2010
mikeansy:

Mbulela

Jonnie Carson has already stated the US position openly that they want Iwu removed.

Now that we can assume that Jonathan has finally made a decision I hope everyone will move on and look beyond Iwu. Lets begin to talk about the necessary electoral reforms.

Correct
and they want IBB
The part about IBB is the bad news
The Iwu thing is good

By the way, nature abhors a vacuum
If our leaders don't listen to us, they must listen to somebody
and since their charity begins abroad, US is more than happy to dictate to them
By the way imagine if Nigerians had made the same statement
they would have said "we cannot be intimidated, we cannot be harried, we cannot de dictated to" etc
So they are listening their masters and "electorates" now
Re: "We Wont - Repeat - Wont Renew Iwu's Tenure" Jonathan Assures Obama by truly: 5:43pm On Apr 11, 2010
mikeansy:

Please don't count the Judgement for Atiku in 2007 as a Judicial achievement. That Judgement was faulty and the fact that it was populist and against the will of the sitting President does not make it right.

At the heart of that Judgement is the question of whether we elect parties or individuals. If we elect parties then if Atiku leaves the PDP then he simply forfeits his Vice Presidency, it is that simple. But if we elect individuals then the Judgement is correct.

But based on that Judgement the Supreme Court seemed to suggest we elect individuals. But the same Supreme Court awarded Amaechi in Amaechi vs Omehia the Guber seat without Amaechi standing for elections. This Judgement would have been sound if they are saying what we vote are parties hence whoever is the PDP leader automatically becomes the Governor. So you can see the inconsistencies in these Judgements by the Supreme Court. They seem to be making these things up and Judgements are not right merely because they go against the will of the seating leader.

The Atiku victory and Amaechi victory should not co-exist because they are diametrically opposite.

On the Iwu issue I don't think anybody is suggesting that nobody is more honest or has more integrity than Maurice Iwu. What I think folks are saying is that the election is around the corner and time is too short for any new INEC Chairman prepare effectively for 2011.
What in my view we need is to appoint these strong personalities into INEC as Electoral Commissioners. I think we need 13, at the moment we only have 4.

This body of ECs have the capacity to influence the decision of INEC Chairman no matter who they are.

The Atiku issue has several dimensions.
How many people have left other parties and joined PDP
were there seats declared vacant?
So Obj wanted to hound the man out of PDP and then use that as an excuse to impeach him
This does not make sense to me
And those guys have been talking about judicial activisim - thank God, we use common law

How can a group of people appointed by Obj just indict Atiku and he becomes ineligible to contest an election
The Supreme court said, indict if you will, but a court must ratify it - one cannot fault this

Don't imagine that I trust Atiku - I don't - he is a PDP man
He just  used AC for temporary shelter

The Amaechi case needs understanding - read Justice Oguntade explanation of the supreme court's reasoning
The guys wanted to keep the man out of the race
They recruited the appeal court to help them or so it seems
The appeal court kept saying it did not have jurisdiction and the supreme court kept reassuring it it did
They were just trying to buy time so that after the election
Amaechi would not have any redress

The supreme court asked "how can a court have jurisdiction at the commencement of a suit and midway lose it?"
The appeal court refused to give judgement on Amaechi's case with the intention of declaring "no jurisdiction"after the election
If the appeal court had acted on time, the matter would have been decided well before the day of the election

This is another legacy of Obj

On Iwu
Time is not short unless he has been idle
I prefer a SINCERE NOVICE to a committed evil doer any day
After the election of 2011, we are going to live with the effect for 4 (2nd termers) or 8 years
Some cases are still in court from 2007 - Ekiti, Imo, Sokoto? and Osun for example

The IT department of your school can give us a credible voters register in 4 months
Iwu cannot in 10 lifetimes!
Not out of incomptence
But out of unwillingness
Re: "We Wont - Repeat - Wont Renew Iwu's Tenure" Jonathan Assures Obama by Nobody: 5:53pm On Apr 11, 2010
That people cross-carpet without loosing their seat is not a precedent in court.

The Supreme Court had a duty to interprete the law as is and they simply failed.

We vote parties in Nigeria. When Atiku leaves PDP he should loose his seat. That is the Judgement the Supreme Court should come to.

That 1million people have cross-carpeted in the past does not matter especially if no had previously taken them to court for it.

Even in second republic, Abubakar Rimi cross-carpeted and stepped down as Governor. People refuse to adhere to this rule and even the opposition refuse to call them out on it and take them to court.
Re: "We Wont - Repeat - Wont Renew Iwu's Tenure" Jonathan Assures Obama by truly: 6:04pm On Apr 11, 2010
mikeansy:

That people cross-carpet without loosing their seat is not a precedent in court.
We vote parties in Nigeria. When Atiku leaves PDP he should loose his seat. That is the Judgement the Supreme Court should come to.

You are right that is the law
But Atiku was virtually forced out of the party
They said people should re-register
then before he got his card they wanted to hold their primaries
and that was close to INEC's deadline
If he remained in PDP, he would not be able to contest with another party
When he resigned, Obj wanted him stripped of immunity
And was waiting to pounce on him

The PTDF issue that was the subject of indictment was investigated by the senate
Both Obj and Atiku were guilty

I remember that PTDF money was used to incorporate a company for which you and I paid N250million as legal fees

Yes, it is the law
But were I at the supreme court, I would keep Atiku in office nevertheless
Re: "We Wont - Repeat - Wont Renew Iwu's Tenure" Jonathan Assures Obama by truly: 6:24pm On Apr 11, 2010
Re: "We Wont - Repeat - Wont Renew Iwu's Tenure" Jonathan Assures Obama by ODIBABA1: 6:41pm On Apr 11, 2010
Yes, it's what the country degenerated to, even worse to say the least. Don’t pretend Iwu is the problem; Obasanjo contracted Iwu to do his bidding of rigging 2003 + beyond elections. Iwu had to read from his script or pay with his life; he chose the former which is normal in Nigeria setting. Nigeria as a country has to respond to the fundamental questions of its existence as corporate entity, that done, then we can talk about credible election. Enough of window dressing and shadow chase; Iwu is not the problem and he proved that at recent gubernatorial election in Anambra State. Bring in an angel and Obasanjo seating presently most close to power will dictate his or her conducts. They own Nigeria.
Re: "We Wont - Repeat - Wont Renew Iwu's Tenure" Jonathan Assures Obama by jemmyvibe: 6:52pm On Apr 11, 2010
Waiting and watching.
Re: "We Wont - Repeat - Wont Renew Iwu's Tenure" Jonathan Assures Obama by member479760: 8:55pm On Apr 11, 2010
We need to have a well functioning institutions and not powerful leaders to succeed in anything we are doing in this country. This is how the voting algorithm supposed to look like – Register to vote – Vote – On spot ballots counting – login the results online to the centre body – software adds the results – chairman announces the results. No grammar needed.
Re: "We Wont - Repeat - Wont Renew Iwu's Tenure" Jonathan Assures Obama by truly: 9:21pm On Apr 11, 2010
ODI_BABA:

Yes, it's what the country degenerated to, even worse to say the least. Don’t pretend Iwu is the problem; Obasanjo contracted Iwu to do his bidding of rigging 2003 + beyond elections. Iwu had to read from his script or pay with his life; he chose the former which is normal in Nigeria setting. Nigeria as a country has to respond to the fundamental questions of its existence as corporate entity, that done, then we can talk about credible election. Enough of window dressing and shadow chase; Iwu is not the problem and he proved that at recent gubernatorial election in Anambra State. Bring in an angel and Obasanjo seating presently most close to power will dictate his or her conducts. They own Nigeria.
Iwu is part of the problem. NO doubt about it
It was not a matter of being part of a cult that one could not leave
When he was approached, he could have said no to the appointment

I have said it and we all remember
A judge handling the trial of Bola Ige's murder suspects withdrew from the case
He said he was getting pressure from unexpected quarters

How can I then believe that NOBODY is better

Anambra was a trick to lull the opposition to sleep
And right now, people are falling into the trap
I have said it is not incompetence, but unwillingness

They don't own Nigeria!
At least Obj
I hate the man so much, I would rather die
than kow tow to his satanic machinations
I am serious
Sincerely, I would look towards death with bliss than to rig an election in favour of Obj

They own Nigeria because we allow them
Humphrey Nwosu in 1993 showed us possibilities
It is a matter of being ready to take off when possible

But Iwu in 2007 was busy praising PDP for planning and campaiging well
and now Hiring touts to demonstrate for his retention

In 2007, the commissioners in Edo and Ondo States refused to announce fake results
Both results were then announced in Abuja
The guy in Ondo state initially disocciated himself from the result

If we have these brave men here and there speaking up
Then those people will begin to see that they are miscreants
Re: "We Wont - Repeat - Wont Renew Iwu's Tenure" Jonathan Assures Obama by agabaI23(m): 2:59am On Apr 12, 2010
hbabe:

I agree with Bidemi12. It's the system that failed and the people who control the system appointed and used Iwu to perpetrate their wicked and selfish acts. Can Iwu ensure and deliver free and fair election under a better system? I am of the opinion that Goodluck Jonathan will offer a better electoral system so a new hand is advisable to man it in order to avoid repitition of old mistakes or malpractices. Change in every aspect is needed to achieve electoral reform. We can't have new wine in old skin so Iwu may have to go.
r
rainfall on the 25th of December
Re: "We Wont - Repeat - Wont Renew Iwu's Tenure" Jonathan Assures Obama by hydroking23(m): 8:42am On Apr 12, 2010
We should be happy that Obama is suggesting what Nigeria needs to do to clean up its electoral process. The alternative could be alot worse, IE Afghanistan, Iraq. The British left us with this mess we currently call Nigeria, and look where it has gotten us today. If the U.S. wants to come in and clean it up, fine allow them. They don't want any other confused, silver spoon fed, muslim extremist influenced Nigerians trying to blow up airlines on American soil. If trying to ensure we take all the steps necessary to clean up our impotent, misguided form of democracy, then I'm all for it.
Re: "We Wont - Repeat - Wont Renew Iwu's Tenure" Jonathan Assures Obama by otukpo(f): 9:17am On Apr 12, 2010
It is a expected that Iwu should not conduct 2011 elections. So the advice coming from Obama is welcome.
Re: "We Wont - Repeat - Wont Renew Iwu's Tenure" Jonathan Assures Obama by martinosi: 10:57am On Apr 12, 2010
hmmm
Re: "We Wont - Repeat - Wont Renew Iwu's Tenure" Jonathan Assures Obama by eewule(m): 1:04pm On Apr 12, 2010
I do not have anything against the US ruling us by proxy or directly, simply because so far we are incapable of ruling ourself and our country is more-or-less upside down so we should all shot-up and be happy to be recieving advice, concern or guiding points from the Americans, afterall we are trying to make our country work, with sustainable peace and good democracy like the US has.
Re: "We Wont - Repeat - Wont Renew Iwu's Tenure" Jonathan Assures Obama by alldone(m): 1:50pm On Apr 12, 2010
Us can not dictate to us. the problem is not IWU but the system so if we removed IWU the same thing will happen may be worse. it is when we cleanse the system that things will work better.
Re: "We Wont - Repeat - Wont Renew Iwu's Tenure" Jonathan Assures Obama by kimibaby(f): 3:25pm On Apr 12, 2010
Sahara reporters also reported Yar'adua's death in december
Re: "We Wont - Repeat - Wont Renew Iwu's Tenure" Jonathan Assures Obama by londoner: 3:34pm On Apr 12, 2010
If this is true, I am a bit disapointed with Goodluck. Instead of putting Obama's mind at rest by the assurance, he should have given the assurance to the Nigerian electorate. It is ordinary Nigerians who want this Iwu gone and have been very vocal about it and it is the Nigerian citizen who deserves to feel that THEIR discontent has been duly noted and acted upon. I am very uncomfortable with the way that the citizens of Nigeria seem to be simply afterthoughts, if that.

When MP's resigned in the Uk over the expenses scam, it was as a direct reaction to the public outcry/opinion. Thats what it means to be a nation.
Re: "We Wont - Repeat - Wont Renew Iwu's Tenure" Jonathan Assures Obama by Nobody: 10:04pm On Apr 12, 2010
Jonathan sidestepped criticism of CENI chief Maurice Iwu, despite calls for his resignation from protesters in Abuja.

"I'm convinced that INEC, the president of INEC, can conduct elections in Nigeria (that are) free and fair," Jonathan said.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jeWX9aNKkWqHL46jjnWQxCxR2oRw

which one we go believe

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Amanpour Calls Lagos The Third Most Unlivable City In The World / 776,000 Jobs Lost In Textile Industry –FG / First Day At Work, Ambode Goes After Fashola’s Loyalists, Sacks Fashola’s Sister

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.