Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,207 members, 7,815,213 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:06 AM

Can God Create A Rock So Heavy That He Cannot Lift It? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can God Create A Rock So Heavy That He Cannot Lift It? (1844 Views)

Can God Create A Stone So Heavy He Cant Lift It? / Did God Create Satan On Purpose or Unknowninly? / FAQ: How Can God Be Good If There Is So Much Bad In The World? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can God Create A Rock So Heavy That He Cannot Lift It? by Nobody: 12:53pm On Jan 10, 2018
lolz this question is been around for centuries ..let's Know your thoughts..

Many times when talking with non-believers, they will appeal to some sort of one-liner or meme to render their unbelief a more credible position than the reality of an omnipotent God. Nevertheless, although these one-liners seem credible to the untrained mind, they actually don’t work as arguments. The same goes with this riddle, which basically attempts to pit God against himself in asking, “Can God create a rock so heavy that he cannot lift it?”

so I invite all atheists ( wise ones only and open minded) theist (but not Christians ,)
and interested Christians
Re: Can God Create A Rock So Heavy That He Cannot Lift It? by Nobody: 12:58pm On Jan 10, 2018
Christians friends., how do you Answer this?
Re: Can God Create A Rock So Heavy That He Cannot Lift It? by Nobody: 1:08pm On Jan 10, 2018
Ferisidowu:
Christians friends., how do you Answer this?
i don't know if u mean the question literally or as a figure of speech.. I will answer in the literal sense.. the obvious answer is a "no". Reason being that God is eternal. And eternity breaks the barrier of time, space and matter. Weight/mass is a fraction of matter, lift(change in elevation of the object) is a fraction of space. Since Eternity breaks these three barriers of time, space and matter definitely the eternal God can never be limited by matter or space... QED...

1 Like

Re: Can God Create A Rock So Heavy That He Cannot Lift It? by Nobody: 1:15pm On Jan 10, 2018
salvation101:
i don't know if u mean the question literally or as a figure of speech.. I will answer in the literal sense.. the obvious answer is a "no". Reason being that God is eternal. And eternity breaks the barrier of time, space and matter. Weight/mass is a fraction of matter, lift(change in elevation of the object) is a fraction of space. Since Eternity breaks these three barriers of time, space and matter definitely the eternal God can never be limited by matter or space... QED...

oh thanks the question is originally mine....
to be sincere the question is foolish and lack logic, it's even contradictory

just that there are foolish atheists That delight in foolish questions lol
although not all :;
some still admit that the question is baseless

I brought it here so as to see how fellow Christians would answer...

thanks for your contribution...

also the question is meant to be taken literally..

lol

2 Likes

Re: Can God Create A Rock So Heavy That He Cannot Lift It? by ifenes(m): 1:35pm On Jan 10, 2018
The answer is No and I do not mean the Christian idea of God.

1 Like

Re: Can God Create A Rock So Heavy That He Cannot Lift It? by Nobody: 1:38pm On Jan 10, 2018
ifenes:
The answer is No and I do not mean the Christian idea of God.

explain further please
Re: Can God Create A Rock So Heavy That He Cannot Lift It? by ifenes(m): 1:47pm On Jan 10, 2018
Ferisidowu:

explain further please

A rock is physical and physical reality is a tiny aspect of existence. No matter how huge the illusionary rock is, it was imagined and cannot be compared to its source- The Mind. Even the Universe is a tiny feature of existence. Existence is all that is. What religion says God is is what existence is. Both are one and the same. If you exist, you aways will and have always existed. The reason why we are all God/Existence. A rock, no matter how big is nothing.
Re: Can God Create A Rock So Heavy That He Cannot Lift It? by Nobody: 2:02pm On Jan 10, 2018
ifenes:

A rock is physical and physical reality is a tiny aspect of existence. No matter how huge the illusionary rock is, it was imagined and cannot be compared to its source- The Mind. Even the Universe is a tiny feature of existence. Existence is all that is. What religion says God is is what existence is. Both are one and the same. If you exist, you aways will and have always existed. The reason why we are all God/Existence. A rock, no matter how big is nothing.

hmm
Re: Can God Create A Rock So Heavy That He Cannot Lift It? by johnydon22(m): 4:02pm On Jan 10, 2018
Ferisidowu:

Many times when talking with non-believers, they will appeal to some sort of one-liner or meme to render their unbelief a more credible position than the reality of an omnipotent God. Nevertheless, although these one-liners seem credible to the untrained mind, they actually don’t work as arguments. The same goes with this riddle, which basically attempts to pit God against himself in asking, “Can God create a rock so heavy that he cannot lift it?”

so I invite all atheists ( wise ones only and open minded) theist (but not Christians ,)

This is called the Omnipotence paradox, a nonsensical paradox that shows people the absurdity of nonsensical concepts like Omnipotence

2 Likes

Re: Can God Create A Rock So Heavy That He Cannot Lift It? by johnydon22(m): 4:04pm On Jan 10, 2018
salvation101:

I think you miss the point of the paradoxical question.

Let me rephrase this question better.

Can God do something that he cannot undo

I think this is a better representation
Re: Can God Create A Rock So Heavy That He Cannot Lift It? by Nobody: 4:09pm On Jan 10, 2018
johnydon22:

I think you miss the point of the paradoxical question.

Let me rephrase this question better.

Can God do something that he cannot undo

I think this is a better representation
he already answered dat d question was meant to be in the literal sense
Re: Can God Create A Rock So Heavy That He Cannot Lift It? by rejosom(m): 4:10pm On Jan 10, 2018
Ferisidowu:

oh thanks the question is originally mine....
to be sincere the question is foolish and lack logic, it's even contradictory

just that there are foolish atheists That delight in foolish questions lol
although not all :;
some still admit that the question is baseless

I brought it here so as to see how fellow Christians would answer...

thanks for your contribution...

also the question is meant to be taken literally..

lol

Whatever you think you are doing is unfair.
Re: Can God Create A Rock So Heavy That He Cannot Lift It? by Nobody: 4:15pm On Jan 10, 2018
rejosom:

Whatever you think you are doing is unfair.
how sir
Re: Can God Create A Rock So Heavy That He Cannot Lift It? by Nobody: 4:18pm On Jan 10, 2018
johnydon22:

This is called the Omnipotence paradox, a nonsensical paradox that shows people the absurdity of nonsensical concepts like Omnipotence

oh really, let me hear more from you,><tell me more..
Re: Can God Create A Rock So Heavy That He Cannot Lift It? by rejosom(m): 4:21pm On Jan 10, 2018
Ferisidowu:

how sir

The dribbling for that your comment dey excess...

The question is originally yours...

The question is a foolish one...

The question is baseless...

And now the question is to be taken literally.
Re: Can God Create A Rock So Heavy That He Cannot Lift It? by johnydon22(m): 4:21pm On Jan 10, 2018
salvation101:
he already answered dat d question was meant to be in the literal sense

Nope, the name of this exercise is the omnipotence paradox, the answered post picked a literal meaning to answer can only result in literal flaws even at that i can still juggle that literal answer to demonstrate the whole point of the exercise.

I only chose to rephrase the question so anyone who wish to answer will understand the actual meaning behind the question.
Re: Can God Create A Rock So Heavy That He Cannot Lift It? by 1Sharon(f): 4:23pm On Jan 10, 2018
salvation101:

Then he is not all powerful!
Re: Can God Create A Rock So Heavy That He Cannot Lift It? by Nobody: 4:25pm On Jan 10, 2018
rejosom:

The dribbling for that your comment dey excess...
The question is originally yours...
The question is a foolish one...
The question is baseless...
And now the question is to be taken literally.
thank you sir
Re: Can God Create A Rock So Heavy That He Cannot Lift It? by Nobody: 4:26pm On Jan 10, 2018
johnydon22:

Nope, the name of this exercise is the omnipotence paradox, the answered post picked a literal meaning to answer can only result in literal flaws even at that i can still juggle that literal answer to demonstrate the whole point of the exercise.

I only chose to rephrase the question so anyone who wish to answer will understand the actual meaning behind the question.
r u more knowledgeable dan d examiner? D person who posted the question knew wat he wanted and made it clear here dat he meant it in d literal sense

2 Likes

Re: Can God Create A Rock So Heavy That He Cannot Lift It? by Nobody: 4:54pm On Jan 10, 2018
salvation101:
r u more knowledgeable dan d examiner? D person who posted the question knew wat he wanted and made it clear here dat he meant it in d literal sense

lolx don't mind him
Re: Can God Create A Rock So Heavy That He Cannot Lift It? by tartar9(m): 5:26pm On Jan 10, 2018
Ferisidowu:

Can God become human?
Re: Can God Create A Rock So Heavy That He Cannot Lift It? by Nobody: 6:15pm On Jan 10, 2018
tartar9:

Can God become human?
John chapter 1
Re: Can God Create A Rock So Heavy That He Cannot Lift It? by tartar9(m): 7:04pm On Jan 10, 2018
Ferisidowu:
John chapter 1
YES or NO
Re: Can God Create A Rock So Heavy That He Cannot Lift It? by Nobody: 7:21pm On Jan 10, 2018
tartar9:
YES or NO
what does John 1 say..
really disappointed, you... read John 1
Re: Can God Create A Rock So Heavy That He Cannot Lift It? by tartar9(m): 7:31pm On Jan 10, 2018
Ferisidowu:

what does John 1 say..

really disappointed, you... read John 1
OK

John 1: When men strive together one with another, and the
wife of the one draweth near for to deliver her husband out of the hand of
him that smiteth him, and putteth forth her hand, and taketh him by the
secrets: 12 Then thou shalt cut off her hand, thine eye shall not pity her
shocked shocked shocked
Re: Can God Create A Rock So Heavy That He Cannot Lift It? by Nobody: 7:35pm On Jan 10, 2018
tartar9:

OK

John 1: When men strive together one with another, and the
wife of the one draweth near for to deliver her husband out of the hand of
him that smiteth him, and putteth forth her hand, and taketh him by the
secrets: 12 Then thou shalt cut off her hand, thine eye shall not pity her
shocked shocked shocked

lolz can't you see it.... you are deluded FOOL cheesy

1 Like

Re: Can God Create A Rock So Heavy That He Cannot Lift It? by tartar9(m): 7:45pm On Jan 10, 2018
Ferisidowu:

lolz can't you see it.... you are deluded FOOL cheesy
You don't even know your bible..what a shame
Re: Can God Create A Rock So Heavy That He Cannot Lift It? by Nobody: 7:46pm On Jan 10, 2018
tartar9:
You don't even know your bible..what a shame
thanks...

1 Like

Re: Can God Create A Rock So Heavy That He Cannot Lift It? by tartar9(m): 8:42pm On Jan 10, 2018
Ferisidowu:

thanks...
For telling you how the bible orders you to treat your wife cheesy or for not answering my simple question.No where in John is Jesus described as God or external with God
Re: Can God Create A Rock So Heavy That He Cannot Lift It? by Nobody: 9:28pm On Jan 10, 2018
tartar9:

For telling you how the bible orders you to treat your wife cheesy or for not answering my simple question.No where in John is Jesus described as God or external with God

lolz you just a bag of problems....

I don't want to discuss with you... thanks

1 Like

Re: Can God Create A Rock So Heavy That He Cannot Lift It? by Nobody: 9:59pm On Jan 10, 2018
1Sharon:

really?
Re: Can God Create A Rock So Heavy That He Cannot Lift It? by Nobody: 10:00pm On Jan 10, 2018
1Sharon:

really?

(1) (2) (Reply)

I hereby call on Everyone on Earth to be at Alert!!! / I Did Not Die, I Did Not Go To Heaven, Hell- Margaret Amure / Uncovering the Surprising Reason Jesus Said "The Violent Taketh it by Force"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.