Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,901 members, 7,814,051 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:57 AM

Jesus' Tomb Found? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Jesus' Tomb Found? (1119 Views)

Why Did Jesus Fold The Napkin In The Tomb After Resurrection? / True Or False! Biblical Goliath Skull Found In A Tomb Near Jerusalem (photos) / Jesus' Tomb Revealed. Jesus Wasn't Resurrected (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jesus' Tomb Found? by my2cents(m): 5:22pm On Mar 01, 2007
Now here is a thread that I know will generate gigabytes of debate grin

Apparently, Jesus' tomb may have been found: http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/tomb/tomb.html

For those in the US, the show is coming on March 4 at 9pm EST

Now, before some of you go out and announce edicts for my immediate assassination (because I know that there are fanatics and zealots amongst you cool), I am not saying that it is indeed his tomb. I am saying however, that it is a possibility.

As a human, I have to open my mind and eyes to all things, for the same reasons I would never say don't read the Koran as a Christian (You should read the Koran and other religious books because how else would you know what their religions say and how else can you counteract their positions, other than saying the ridiculous "all muslims are bad" line?). For the same reason, as a Christian, I don't believe in Evolution as it has been put forth, however, I do believe that we do evolve over time and that I can accept this fact without it moving my faith. Again, for the same reason, I can accept that there is perhaps a book of Judas just as there exists the books of the apocrypha. Finally, for the same reason, I can accept that King James made monks write the Bible to suit his needs under penalty of death, which implies that even despite what the book of Revelation says, certain portions may have been added or removed.

Let the debate (emphasis on "debate" as opposed to "I am a born again christian and know it all" or senseless/baseless arguments based on faith and not fact) begin tongue
Re: Jesus' Tomb Found? by gbadex1(m): 5:39pm On Mar 01, 2007
Judging from this post of yours, i take it you don't believe in absolutes?
Re: Jesus' Tomb Found? by my2cents(m): 5:45pm On Mar 01, 2007
Let's stick to the purpose of this post and not on what I do or don't believe please. After a few people might have responded, then I will answer this.

You may choose to see me as that nutty professor who has to make you sit through his evolution class in school and then make you take an exam on it. Are you going to spend your time wondering about his beliefs or answer his questions as asked, make an A, improve your chances of getting a good job and moving on in life.

Let's stick to the brass tacs for now please.

Thanks,
Re: Jesus' Tomb Found? by KAG: 6:17pm On Mar 01, 2007
my2cents:

For the same reason, as a Christian, I don't believe in Evolution as it has been put forth, however, I do believe that we do evolve over time

I don't think there's a difference between the former and the latter. In any case, while it's possible that it's Jesus' tomb, I remain sceptical of their claims
Re: Jesus' Tomb Found? by my2cents(m): 7:41pm On Mar 01, 2007
In any case, while it's possible that it's Jesus' tomb, I remain sceptical of their claims

To KAG (and any others): Thanks for sticking to the issue at hand cool
Re: Jesus' Tomb Found? by delarontus(f): 9:22am On Mar 02, 2007
@my2cents: For once i've found someone on this forum who is focused on his topic and does not want digressions based on sentiments and personal beliefs. Please keep it up.

We'll wait and see what they show us when the day comes, wonder if its true.
Re: Jesus' Tomb Found? by my2cents(m): 3:48pm On Mar 02, 2007
delarontus,

You know, I have been wondering if the lack of posts here is reflective of this forum as a whole. I mean, if I had digressed on the evolution issue, I bet there would be 1000 posts by now but now that I am actually asking for pplez opinions on a very important issue and this issue alone, I get only 2. Na wa o!

Back to the issue at hand, personally, Christianity is based on faith and by faith, I believe that Christ ascended into heaven. Having said that, again, based on what I know has happened in history, anythingz possible. I just have to look at it all with an open mind.
Re: Jesus' Tomb Found? by Jehu: 4:42pm On Mar 03, 2007
Quite Revealing, shee?
After centuries of missionary work and proselyting based on
- the bodily ascension of Jesus. - Now, his tomb has been discovered, with him inside.
- Jesus was not married. - Now he has a wife and child(ren)
- the bible is error proof - Suddenly, errors and falsehood are seen in it

A lot of questions for the church.

I read a while back that the Church did a lot of forgery and destroyed a whole lot of true materials to make Christianity a State religion, for the Roman Empire.

I guess the end of the Roman Empire is at hand.

With Christianity, which was sold to us by their off-shoots and used as a prong to colonise and enslave the world, being opened to facts and criticism.

Hey, I say let the debate begin; for the knowledge of God shall cover the Earth as Water covers the Sea.

Let the ROCK appear.
Re: Jesus' Tomb Found? by theffanyi(m): 3:52pm On Sep 07, 2007
NO PROBLEM. any time they open it,just call me,to come and SLEEP in it then u CLOSE IT.

Re: Jesus' Tomb Found? by holythug(m): 7:51pm On Feb 15, 2008
na wa o
Re: Jesus' Tomb Found? by therationa(m): 9:45pm On Feb 15, 2008
This is very interesting subject. Before the programs is aired, I would like to get viewers to think about what would constitute good evidence to verifying that this probably Jesus's tomb.

Firstly, where would they go for such evidence? Roman records, Jewish records or Christian records.

If any of these records are consulted for corroborating the physical evidence on the tomb, how would you validate that record? For instance, in the Christian record, it is said that on the event of Jesus resurrection, there was a Great Earthquake which helped rolled the stone from the tomb entrance. Are there any corroborating evidence of such a massive earthquake in Jerusalem around 33 CE?
Re: Jesus' Tomb Found? by TCUBE(m): 6:33am On Feb 16, 2008
Jesus's tomb found? clap for dem' atheist, they just started, next , "we found his bones", lol grin
Re: Jesus' Tomb Found? by stimulus(m): 7:40am On Feb 16, 2008
therationa:

Are there any corroborating evidence of such a massive earthquake in Jerusalem around 33 CE?

Lol. . this is precisely the excuses that cheapen your intellect. It is like asking if there was any corroborating evidence of any rainfall in Jerusalem in 33 CE. grin

Of course, if you cannot find such "corroborating" evidence, you assume that Jerusalem would not have experienced rainfall in that year (or perhaps in any year at all). Good one - the argument from silence which has become your first-aid when you have had nothing in defence for your own assumptions! grin
Re: Jesus' Tomb Found? by luvus: 8:11am On Feb 16, 2008
All leading epigraphers agree about the inscriptions. All archaeologists confirm the nature of the find. It comes down to a matter of statistics. A statistical study commissioned by the broadcasters (Discovery Channel/Vision Canada/C4 UK) concludes that the probability factor is in the order of 600 to 1 that an equally "surprising" cluster of names would arise purely by chance under given assumptions. The film also documents DNA extraction from human residue found in two of the ossuaries and reveals new evidence that throws light on Jesus' relationship with Mary Magdalene.
http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/tomb/about/about.html

chance?
assumptions?
filmmakers?
Re: Jesus' Tomb Found? by therationa(m): 10:18am On Feb 16, 2008
stimulus:

Lol. . this is precisely the excuses that cheapen your intellect. It is like asking if there was any corroborating evidence of any rainfall in Jerusalem in 33 CE. grin

Of course, if you cannot find such "corroborating" evidence, you assume that Jerusalem would not have experienced rainfall in that year (or perhaps in any year at all). Good one - the argument from silence which has become your first-aid when you have had nothing in defence for your own assumptions! grin

Goodness. Why are you guys in the habit of making insults like - "cheapen your intellect". I worked for many years (10 years) as a Civil Engineer and learnt in the course of my career how to detect signs of ancients earthquakes. Of course, if it not found, this does not mean the earthquake did NOT happen. Only that if the signs are found, it strengthens the case as reported in the bible. Got it.

(1) (Reply)

Are We The New Chosen People / Repent Or Perish / Lost Tribe Return To Israel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.