Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,607 members, 7,812,998 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:51 AM

Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested (13867 Views)

Cogent Reasons Why Kanu Must Die By Hanging And Tompolo Must Be Arrested / El-rufai To Critics : GO AND DIE If You're Not Happy Over My Appointees / Okupe: Critics Of Jonathan Are Silly Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by Nobody: 3:42pm On Apr 13, 2010
Dominoifet:

Not only that did u know how many early christians they killed. Drunken with the blood of the saint. Even Peter the disciple of Jesus who they named their sodom chapel after and they also claim handed them the mandate of the head. Was he not killed by them on an upside down cross and burnt

The two WORST enemies of the true church :

1. Militant Islam

2. Catholicism

Insult me if you want, I care not grin
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by Dominoifet(m): 3:42pm On Apr 13, 2010
Christ has given them over to a reprobate mind see them f.ucking small boys all over the world. That is their own evangelism.

Twisted brains
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by Dominoifet(m): 3:49pm On Apr 13, 2010
@Frosbel

No insult there. That's the truth and not the whole truth.

Islam as a whole u would have said. Both u mentioned and the one I mentioned r fashioned against the true church to deceive pple.

Critically look at both. U will c nothing but evil and devil. Cups of iniquity filled with the blood of the saints.
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by Dominoifet(m): 3:59pm On Apr 13, 2010
Both bead counting morons.
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by omofat: 4:01pm On Apr 13, 2010
Dominoifet:

Both bead counting morons.
grin grin grin
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by Horus(m): 4:21pm On Apr 13, 2010
naijaking1:

In about 2000-3000 more years, muslims will become as civilized as present day christians, ie with all their acknowledged human frailities of today. Until then, I don't suppose anybody with a 6th century mentality should really criticize the open philosophies of christians in 2010. Christians criticize each other as way of improving certain doctrinal shortcomings; from Martin Luther King to John Smith, but muslims remain pre-historic because criticizims = death. Look me in the eyes, no yourself in the mirrow and honestly say that no muslim cleric has ever molested a child. You can't do that, because you're a liar by religion

Now, a little lesson about etymology: Seminary----is from seminar, or discussion group of ideas, seeds of ideas. Middle English has it as originating from seed or semen: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/seminary?&qsrc=

Rectory--- is from rector, or the priest's house, no where does it indicate or have any origin with rectum. It's middle Latin, and rectum is more like procto in latin. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/rectory?&qsrc=
So where did you get all your convoluted and false word origins, or you just want to score a quick and cheap religious point, thereby giving away your own rectal inclinations? Dan gurugu, ne

I am NOT Muslim and I am NOT religious. If a person do not agree with the pedophilic tendancy of the Pope, do not presume that this person is a Muslim or a religious person. Try to think outside the box of aliens imported religions. For you a human being can only be a Muslim or a Christian, or a religious person?. Well, I dont give a Damn about Islam, Christianity and all type of religious thinking, so if you want to protect your pedophilic Pope try to be more creative in your arguments, and dont be so narrowminded by believing that everybody on this planet is a religious or a christian or a muslim. I dont care about religion,
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by flexshop(m): 4:24pm On Apr 13, 2010
@frosbel and dominoifet,
Religious affiliation? Church of satan? Im not suprised.
tongue

@dominoifet,catholics didnt kil peter.the romans did.ur history is twisted wit hate.
I dont think any christian should argue.
The bible warns against arguing with ignorant people.
Like i said, nobody forces people to be christians. I think u people need a deeper inner reflection.
U also need to GET A LIFE tongue
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by bawomolo(m): 4:28pm On Apr 13, 2010
did sagamite just send shigidi to someone's doorstep grin
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by Sagamite(m): 4:33pm On Apr 13, 2010
bawomolo:

did sagamite just send shigidi to someone's doorstep  grin

Won ti gbe nkan fun ko gbe mi, tipa tipa. (Dem don force am chop concoction)

Im no go try that kin curse again.  grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by Nobody: 4:34pm On Apr 13, 2010
@frosbel and dominoifet,
Religious affiliation? Church of satan? Im not suprised.

I am simply a bible believing Christian, I left the Catholic Church over a decade ago when I realised that the pope was a man and not God.

I still respect many of the Catholic Church’s stances, but remember if you read history the Catholic Church was formed from the remnants of the Roman Empire in the religious context and became corrupted with man made doctrine and heathen practices.

Christianity does have not to be complex like arithmetic; it’s SIMPLY a case of believing the bible word for word and living by it.
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by Nobody: 4:35pm On Apr 13, 2010
@flexshop i beg to disagree. i dont know about the rest of the world but living in the U.S. and I imagine in south/ east Europe as well, there has yet to be a year where they do not discover Christian/ Catholic based cults where some sick creep feigns the role of a returned saint with concubines and idiots who believe his every word, not to mention the illegitimate children born of his seed whom he disgustingly turn into his mates as well.

allow me to further digress as this has me going. . . .
Also you have to keep in mind a lot of African Americans, Latinos and Caribbean folk are obsessed with Christianity/ Catholicism because it has been drilled in our heads for centuries that we are descendant of barbarians in need of being "civilized". What God would truly support the brainwashing and imperialism at such magnitude? How can someone call themselves "Holy" and "Sanctified" when you support a regime that not only committed such atrocities as slavery but also one of your saints was the right hand man of Adolf Hitler? A religion that refuses to make a black man  a Pope?! This new guy lied and obstructed justice by hiding the fact that one of his own used to molest and sodomize young boys in the 80s, yet "no man shall be answered by God unless they go through him"? Are you serious? Christianity is the most hypocritical religion on the earth, you murder your "savior", violated populations by the masses and cover up more than the blasted C.I.A. who i do not doubt works for them!
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by Dominoifet(m): 4:36pm On Apr 13, 2010
@Flexshop

Its ur dic.k sucking pope that need to leave his lolly pop and get a life.

Since u don't understand Rome and Vatican, u must have been counting beads as well, scatter brain ape
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by Nobody: 4:42pm On Apr 13, 2010
^^wow. lipsrsealed somebody is angry lol. I understand you though. I remember when the Pope came to Jamaica and had to leave early because the Rastafarians showed up with broken bottles, bats, stones; etc. waiting for him lol. Such a fraud.
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by omofat: 4:44pm On Apr 13, 2010
^^^ loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by Nobody: 4:50pm On Apr 13, 2010
^^lol im glad they didnt get him, poor Jamaica would have been Nuked out of existence!
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by omofat: 4:57pm On Apr 13, 2010
But seriously I dont understand how some people can be sooo batshit crazy.

An entire organization is accused of decades and decades of systemic violations of a sexual nature against little boys and the best defense some people can come up with is BS arguments about blasphemies, vicar-on-earth, curses, touch-not-the-lords-anointed, its-the-atheists-fault, its-the-gay-people-that-did-it-first, etc etc.

Darn!
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by franctony(m): 5:05pm On Apr 13, 2010
@dominoifet,if i were u i woldnt make dat last post.its sooo blasphemy and derogatory.i understand u re trying to make ur 'point' but dont b carried away pls
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by Dominoifet(m): 5:24pm On Apr 13, 2010
@ St Francis Anthony

ehn!!! Blasphemy!!! Against
Catholism has addicted pple. So much so I'm bewildered!!!

*****sighs*****(rolling eyes)
BB
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by Nobody: 6:05pm On Apr 13, 2010
frosbel:

I am simply a bible believing Christian, I left the Catholic Church over a decade ago when I realised that the pope was a man and not God.

I still respect many of the Catholic Church’s stances, but remember if you read history the Catholic Church was formed from the remnants of the Roman Empire in the religious context and became corrupted with man made doctrine and heathen practices.

Christianity does have not to be complex like arithmetic; it’s SIMPLY a case of believing the bible word for word and living by it.

is the catholic church not the first church? do you think there would be any christians today if there had been no catholic church?

you realize the easter you opened a thread to celebrate is also derived from a heathen practice? ditto for christams?

or perhaps you have deliberately ignored that part of history?

waiting for your translation of your christian terminiology . . .
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by splashbaby(m): 6:07pm On Apr 13, 2010
omo~fat:

^^^^ So your prayer above ("Holy father forgive them ,  "wink was to the Pope ?
Do people take pleasure in writing nonsense or they just don't ready it at all, ethics demand the pope should be respected whether muslim pagan or pentecoster, nobody can be too sure of his or her faith.
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by Nobody: 6:12pm On Apr 13, 2010
oyb:

is the catholic church not the first church? do you think there would be any christians today if there had been no catholic church?

you realize the easter you opened a thread to celebrate is also derived from a heathen practice? ditto for christams?

or perhaps you have deliberately ignored that part of history?

waiting for your translation of your christian terminiology . . .

Ever since I disgraced you in previous debates, you have been chasing me around Nairaland, abeg leave me , before I report you for cyber space stalking.
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by omofat: 6:16pm On Apr 13, 2010
splashbaby:

Do people take pleasure in writing nonsense or they just don't ready it at all, ethics demand the pope should be respected whether muslim pagan or pentecoster, nobody can be too sure of his or her faith.

Errrr, I'm not even sure how to respond to you. Did you actually follow the thread?

The pope should be respected, yes. Does that mean people should start "praying" to the pope? Is the pope your God?
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by Nobody: 6:30pm On Apr 13, 2010
“Simon Peter answered, ‘You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.’ Jesus replied, ‘You are blessed, Simon son of John, because my Father in heaven has revealed this to you. You did not learn this from any human being. Now I say to you that you are Peter (which means ‘rock’), and upon this rock I will build my church, and all the powers of hell will not conquer it.’” Matthew 16:16-18 (NLT)

Some say these verses identify the Roman Catholic church as the true church of God. They claim Peter was the first pope, and the Vatican is built upon his final resting place in Rome. But this is a clear misinterpretation of the context and meaning of Jesus’ words.

Jesus didn’t intend to build his church upon Peter, a fallen human being. Rather, He announced He would build it upon this concept:

“You (Jesus) are the Messiah, the Son of the Living God”

This is the central truth upon which every person’s faith should be built. It reveals that salvation isn’t found in buildings or church names. Neither is it found in the traditions or the doctrines of man, or through good works or a good heart.

Salvation is found exclusively through Jesus Christ, the Son of the Living God.

Everything Must Point to Jesus

For members of the one true church, Jesus is central to all things. Any teaching, belief, tradition, or doctrine that fails to glorify Jesus is false.

“Jesus told him, ‘I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me.’” John 14:6 (NLT)

Jesus did not say, “This or that church is the way, the truth, and the life.” He said, “I am the way, the truth, and the life.”

If you want to call yourself a Christian, Christ must be the basis of your faith, not the pronouncements of a church. In fact, the very definition of the word Christian is “follower of Christ,” and Jesus Himself explicitly stated His criteria for all who wish to follow Him:

“Then he said to the crowd, ‘If any of you wants to be my follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross daily, and follow me. If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for my sake, you will save it.’” Luke 9:23-24 (NLT)

To be a true Christian, you must replace your own selfish ambition and worldly desires with the will of God. Christ must be the dominate influence in your life, not human traditions. Jesus rebuked the Pharisees for their insistence that others follow their rigid and burdensome traditions:

“Jesus replied, ‘You hypocrites! Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you, for he wrote, ‘These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. Their worship is a farce, for they teach man-made ideas as commands from God.’ For you ignore God’s law and substitute your own tradition.’ Then he said, ‘You skillfully sidestep God’s law in order to hold on to your own tradition.’” Mark 7:6-9 (NLT)

Living for Christ requires suffering and an unyielding willingness to sacrifice everything that is not of Christ in order to serve Him:

“He said to another person, ‘Come, follow me.’ The man agreed, but he said, ‘Lord, first let me return home and bury my father.’ But Jesus told him, ‘Let the spiritually dead bury their own dead! Your duty is to go and preach about the Kingdom of God.’ Another said, ‘Yes, Lord, I will follow you, but first let me say good-bye to my family.’ But Jesus told him, ‘Anyone who puts a hand to the plow and then looks back is not fit for the Kingdom of God.’” Luke 9:59-62 (NLT)

Nothing is inherently bad about burying one’s father or saying goodbye to one’s family. However, the true Christian is outfitted with tunnel vision, his eyes focused solely on Jesus Christ. The true Christian doesn’t let worldly pursuits distract from the Lord’s will.

Few stories from the Gospels make this as clear as the story of the rich man who approached Jesus asking how to receive eternal life:

“Looking at the man, Jesus felt genuine love for him. ‘There is still one thing you haven’t done,’ he told him. ‘Go and sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.’ At this the man’s face fell, and he went away sad, for he had many possessions.” Mark 10:21-22 (NLT)

This man possessed great earthly wealth, and he allowed his love for this wealth to distract him from what should have been his primary pursuit: the Kingdom of God. If you want to follow Jesus Christ, you must never allow anything else to take priority over His will. That includes church doctrine.

Jesus As High Priest of the Church

The one true church of God is not dependent on a worldly leader as its final authority on spiritual matters. The true church of God gives final authority to its High Priest, Jesus Christ:

“So Christ has now become the High Priest over all the good things that have come. He has entered that greater, more perfect Tabernacle in heaven, which was not made by human hands and is not part of this created world. With his own blood – not the blood of goats and calves – he entered the Most Holy Place once for all time and secured our redemption forever.” Hebrews 9:11-12 (NLT)

Only worldly churches seek out human counsel as a final authority. When they do this, one blind man leads another, and they both fall in a ditch.

If this is the case, where can mankind turn for wisdom in a time of confusion?

God has sent us a Counselor, the Holy Spirit.

The Holy Spirit

If earthly organizations are not responsible for salvation, then who are the members of the one true church of God? No matter what worldly church a person attends (if any), the only way they can become members of the one true church of God is if they allow the Holy Spirit to enter their lives. Members of the one true church of God must be born again. Jesus explained this to Nicodemus nearly 2,000 years ago:

“Jesus replied, ‘I tell you the truth, unless you are born again, you cannot see the Kingdom of God.’ ‘What do you mean?’ exclaimed Nicodemus. ‘How can an old man go back into his mother’s womb and be born again?’ Jesus replied, ‘I assure you, no one can enter the Kingdom of God without being born of water and the Spirit. Humans can reproduce only human life, but the Holy Spirit gives birth to spiritual life. So don’t be surprised when I say, ‘You must be born again.’ The wind blows wherever it wants. Just as you can hear the wind but can’t tell where it comes from or where it is going, so you can’t explain how people are born of the Spirit.’” John 3:3-8 (NLT)

When you believe in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior of your life, accepting His blood as payment for your sins, you are filled with the Holy Spirit. You then become part of the Body of Christ, the one true church of God:

“For all who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God.” Romans 8:14 (NLT)

The Holy Spirit is the very Spirit of Christ. It is the means by which He identifies the members of His church:

“It is God who enables us, along with you, to stand firm for Christ. He has commissioned us, and he has identified us as his own by placing the Holy Spirit in our hearts as the first installment that guarantees everything he has promised us.” 2 Corinthians 1:21-22 (NLT)

If belonging to Christ requires the Holy Spirit, how can you know for sure if you are indwelt by the Holy Spirit? This is a good question, and it requires a personal examination of your relationship with God.

The presence of the Holy Spirit in your life will lead to great transformation. Being “born again,” you will become a new creation, meaning the sinful desires of your old life will give way to the desires of Christ. It isn’t necessary to be struck by lightning or to have some Hollywood epiphany. The transformation may be gradual, but it will be noticeable:

“This means that anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person. The old life is gone; a new life has begun!” 2 Corinthians 5:17 (NLT)

The Holy Spirit provides wisdom and council to those who listen, and the Holy Spirit gives glory to Christ. This is how you will know if the Holy Spirit is your advisor:

“When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own but will tell you what he has heard. He will tell you about the future. He will bring me glory by telling you whatever he receives from me. All that belongs to the Father is mine; this is why I said, ‘The Spirit will tell you whatever he receives from me.” John 16:13-15 (NLT)

Does the Spirit within you glorify Jesus and the Word of God? Does it remind you that you’re a sinner in need of Christ’s saving grace? Does it continually speak to you, directing you to follow God’s commandments and love your neighbor as yourself? If so, this is confirmation that the Spirit of God is within you.

The Holy Spirit also reveals God’s will to members of His church.

“But it was to us that God revealed these things by his Spirit. For his Spirit searches out everything and shows us God’s deep secrets. No one can know a person’s thoughts except that person’s own spirit, and no one can know God’s thoughts except God’s own Spirit. And we have received God’s Spirit (not the world’s spirit), so we can know the wonderful things God has freely given us. When we tell you these things, we do not use words that come from human wisdom. Instead, we speak words given to us by the Spirit, using the Spirit’s words to explain spiritual truths. But people who aren’t spiritual can’t receive these truths from God’s Spirit. It all sounds foolish to them and they can’t understand it, for only those who are spiritual can understand what the Spirit means. Those who are spiritual can evaluate all things, but they themselves cannot be evaluated by others. For, ‘Who can know the Lord’s thoughts? Who knows enough to teach him?’ But we understand these things, for we have the mind of Christ.” 1 Corinthians 2:10-16 (NLT)

The Holy Spirit also reminds us of the teachings of Jesus Christ. In this way, we are never without His counsel:

“But when the Father sends the Advocate as my representative – that is, the Holy Spirit – he will teach you everything and will remind you of everything I have told you.” John 14:26 (NLT)

Salvation

Many earthly churches and religious organizations claim to have a monopoly on salvation. But only one path to salvation exists, and it has nothing to do with the doctrines of earthly churches and religious organizations:

“If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is by believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and it is by confessing with your mouth that you are saved. As the Scriptures tell us, ‘Anyone who trusts in him will never be disgraced.’ Jew and Gentile are the same in this respect. They have the same Lord, who gives generously to all who call on him. For ‘Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.’” Romans 10:9-13 (NLT)

Salvation is equally available to both Jew and Gentile. Even though they may observe different religious traditions, both are saved when they “call on the name of the Lord.” For salvation comes not from the traditions of man or from his good works, but only from God’s mercy through the blood of Jesus Christ:

“He saved us, not because of the righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He washed away our sins, giving us a new birth and new life through the Holy Spirit.” Titus 3:5 (NLT)

The ability to wash away sins and give new life through the Holy Spirit is NOT a power enjoyed by self-righteous humans or earthly religious groups. It is the exclusive domain of God Himself:

“God saved you by his grace when you believed. And you can’t take credit for this; it is a gift from God. Salvation is not a reward for the good things we have done, so none of us can boast about it.” Ephesians 2:8-9 (NLT)

Earthly religious organizations should never boast of their ability to save souls, because salvation doesn’t come from churches or mosques or synagogues. No earthly organization can take credit for God’s amazing grace. Salvation is a gift from God, bestowed by His saving grace for all who believe in Christ.

Salvation is not a complicated matter. It doesn’t require years of theological study. It doesn’t require good works or religious rituals. No traditions of man are necessary, nor is membership in a religious organization, or weekly attendance in a fancy building.

All that is necessary is a personal relationship with your Creator:

“And this is the way to have eternal life – to know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, the one you sent to earth.” John 17:3 (NLT)

This relationship is available to everyone willing to trust in Christ – don’t let anyone convince you otherwise! For what man can close a door which God has opened?

Conclusion

Members of the one true church of God live by the laws of God’s Kingdom, not by the human laws of this earthly kingdom. This isn’t an indictment of the churches here on earth, only a reminder that a church is not an end unto itself. A person’s focus should be on Jesus Christ, and a church is worthless unless it aids in furthering this purpose.

The one true church lives through the Holy Spirit, and the Holy Spirit resides in the hearts of individuals of varying circumstances. Some are rich; some are poor. They are people of many different races, languages, and nations. And they are people of many different religious upbringings, members of many different earthly religious denominations. Some are Catholic. Some are Protestant. Some are neither.

Do you find this concept difficult to accept?

Then ask yourself where your true allegiance lies. Is your ultimate authority a religious group? Or is your ultimate authority Jesus Christ? For a person can only obey one or the other:

“Don’t you realize that whatever you choose to obey becomes your master?” Romans 6:16 (NLT)

Do you believe the church you attend on Sunday is infallible? Do you believe a particular denomination is the only path to truth and salvation? If so, you’re putting your faith in a human created organization and not Jesus Christ. According to Jesus, this is not the road to Him:

“No one can serve two masters. For you will hate one and love the other; you will be devoted to one and despise the other.” Matthew 6:24 (NLT)

http://brittgillette.com/WordPress/?p=62
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by Nobody: 6:33pm On Apr 13, 2010
hahaha @micheline, do you see what I normally tell people like you, I been dey my own they talk to that ogun chicken feather head pries sagamite u come carry your own come, n now tell me wetin I do you b4 u find my trouble, if you can't stand me no block me abeg i get so many things to tidy up so no dey lag my time, u understand but wetin dey vex you. but u fine now wetin again or you dey form.
@sagamite, u have a very big luck u asked for forgiveness, don't try that again before thunder go strike you and your ogun head there.

the person wey en job na to dey commoth my post, shame on you. if you can't respect me abeg no expect even an imagine of respect 4rm me cos it ain't comin.
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by omofat: 6:35pm On Apr 13, 2010
frosbel:

“Simon Peter answered, ‘You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.’ Jesus replied, ‘You are blessed, Simon son of John, because my Father in heaven has revealed this to you. You did not learn this from any human being. Now I say to you that you are Peter (which means ‘rock’), and upon this rock I will build my church, and all the powers of hell will not conquer it.’” Matthew 16:16-18 (NLT)

Some say these verses identify the Roman Catholic church as the true church of God. They claim Peter was the first pope, and the Vatican is built upon his final resting place in Rome. But this is a clear misinterpretation of the context and meaning of Jesus’ words.

Jesus didn’t intend to build his church upon Peter, a fallen human being. Rather, He announced He would build it upon this concept:

“You (Jesus) are the Messiah, the Son of the Living God”

This is the central truth upon which every person’s faith should be built. It reveals that salvation isn’t found in buildings or church names. Neither is it found in the traditions or the doctrines of man, or through good works or a good heart.

Salvation is found exclusively through Jesus Christ, the Son of the Living God.

Everything Must Point to Jesus

For members of the one true church, Jesus is central to all things. Any teaching, belief, tradition, or doctrine that fails to glorify Jesus is false.

“Jesus told him, ‘I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me.’” John 14:6 (NLT)

Jesus did not say, “This or that church is the way, the truth, and the life.” He said, “I am the way, the truth, and the life.”

If you want to call yourself a Christian, Christ must be the basis of your faith, not the pronouncements of a church. In fact, the very definition of the word Christian is “follower of Christ,” and Jesus Himself explicitly stated His criteria for all who wish to follow Him:

“Then he said to the crowd, ‘If any of you wants to be my follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross daily, and follow me. If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for my sake, you will save it.’” Luke 9:23-24 (NLT)

To be a true Christian, you must replace your own selfish ambition and worldly desires with the will of God. Christ must be the dominate influence in your life, not human traditions. Jesus rebuked the Pharisees for their insistence that others follow their rigid and burdensome traditions:

“Jesus replied, ‘You hypocrites! Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you, for he wrote, ‘These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. Their worship is a farce, for they teach man-made ideas as commands from God.’ For you ignore God’s law and substitute your own tradition.’ Then he said, ‘You skillfully sidestep God’s law in order to hold on to your own tradition.’” Mark 7:6-9 (NLT)

Living for Christ requires suffering and an unyielding willingness to sacrifice everything that is not of Christ in order to serve Him:

“He said to another person, ‘Come, follow me.’ The man agreed, but he said, ‘Lord, first let me return home and bury my father.’ But Jesus told him, ‘Let the spiritually dead bury their own dead! Your duty is to go and preach about the Kingdom of God.’ Another said, ‘Yes, Lord, I will follow you, but first let me say good-bye to my family.’ But Jesus told him, ‘Anyone who puts a hand to the plow and then looks back is not fit for the Kingdom of God.’” Luke 9:59-62 (NLT)

Nothing is inherently bad about burying one’s father or saying goodbye to one’s family. However, the true Christian is outfitted with tunnel vision, his eyes focused solely on Jesus Christ. The true Christian doesn’t let worldly pursuits distract from the Lord’s will.

Few stories from the Gospels make this as clear as the story of the rich man who approached Jesus asking how to receive eternal life:

“Looking at the man, Jesus felt genuine love for him. ‘There is still one thing you haven’t done,’ he told him. ‘Go and sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.’ At this the man’s face fell, and he went away sad, for he had many possessions.” Mark 10:21-22 (NLT)

This man possessed great earthly wealth, and he allowed his love for this wealth to distract him from what should have been his primary pursuit: the Kingdom of God. If you want to follow Jesus Christ, you must never allow anything else to take priority over His will. That includes church doctrine.

Jesus As High Priest of the Church

The one true church of God is not dependent on a worldly leader as its final authority on spiritual matters. The true church of God gives final authority to its High Priest, Jesus Christ:

“So Christ has now become the High Priest over all the good things that have come. He has entered that greater, more perfect Tabernacle in heaven, which was not made by human hands and is not part of this created world. With his own blood – not the blood of goats and calves – he entered the Most Holy Place once for all time and secured our redemption forever.” Hebrews 9:11-12 (NLT)

Only worldly churches seek out human counsel as a final authority. When they do this, one blind man leads another, and they both fall in a ditch.

If this is the case, where can mankind turn for wisdom in a time of confusion?

God has sent us a Counselor, the Holy Spirit.

The Holy Spirit

If earthly organizations are not responsible for salvation, then who are the members of the one true church of God? No matter what worldly church a person attends (if any), the only way they can become members of the one true church of God is if they allow the Holy Spirit to enter their lives. Members of the one true church of God must be born again. Jesus explained this to Nicodemus nearly 2,000 years ago:

“Jesus replied, ‘I tell you the truth, unless you are born again, you cannot see the Kingdom of God.’ ‘What do you mean?’ exclaimed Nicodemus. ‘How can an old man go back into his mother’s womb and be born again?’ Jesus replied, ‘I assure you, no one can enter the Kingdom of God without being born of water and the Spirit. Humans can reproduce only human life, but the Holy Spirit gives birth to spiritual life. So don’t be surprised when I say, ‘You must be born again.’ The wind blows wherever it wants. Just as you can hear the wind but can’t tell where it comes from or where it is going, so you can’t explain how people are born of the Spirit.’” John 3:3-8 (NLT)

When you believe in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior of your life, accepting His blood as payment for your sins, you are filled with the Holy Spirit. You then become part of the Body of Christ, the one true church of God:

“For all who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God.” Romans 8:14 (NLT)

The Holy Spirit is the very Spirit of Christ. It is the means by which He identifies the members of His church:

“It is God who enables us, along with you, to stand firm for Christ. He has commissioned us, and he has identified us as his own by placing the Holy Spirit in our hearts as the first installment that guarantees everything he has promised us.” 2 Corinthians 1:21-22 (NLT)

If belonging to Christ requires the Holy Spirit, how can you know for sure if you are indwelt by the Holy Spirit? This is a good question, and it requires a personal examination of your relationship with God.

The presence of the Holy Spirit in your life will lead to great transformation. Being “born again,” you will become a new creation, meaning the sinful desires of your old life will give way to the desires of Christ. It isn’t necessary to be struck by lightning or to have some Hollywood epiphany. The transformation may be gradual, but it will be noticeable:

“This means that anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person. The old life is gone; a new life has begun!” 2 Corinthians 5:17 (NLT)

The Holy Spirit provides wisdom and council to those who listen, and the Holy Spirit gives glory to Christ. This is how you will know if the Holy Spirit is your advisor:

“When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own but will tell you what he has heard. He will tell you about the future. He will bring me glory by telling you whatever he receives from me. All that belongs to the Father is mine; this is why I said, ‘The Spirit will tell you whatever he receives from me.” John 16:13-15 (NLT)

Does the Spirit within you glorify Jesus and the Word of God? Does it remind you that you’re a sinner in need of Christ’s saving grace? Does it continually speak to you, directing you to follow God’s commandments and love your neighbor as yourself? If so, this is confirmation that the Spirit of God is within you.

The Holy Spirit also reveals God’s will to members of His church.

“But it was to us that God revealed these things by his Spirit. For his Spirit searches out everything and shows us God’s deep secrets. No one can know a person’s thoughts except that person’s own spirit, and no one can know God’s thoughts except God’s own Spirit. And we have received God’s Spirit (not the world’s spirit), so we can know the wonderful things God has freely given us. When we tell you these things, we do not use words that come from human wisdom. Instead, we speak words given to us by the Spirit, using the Spirit’s words to explain spiritual truths. But people who aren’t spiritual can’t receive these truths from God’s Spirit. It all sounds foolish to them and they can’t understand it, for only those who are spiritual can understand what the Spirit means. Those who are spiritual can evaluate all things, but they themselves cannot be evaluated by others. For, ‘Who can know the Lord’s thoughts? Who knows enough to teach him?’ But we understand these things, for we have the mind of Christ.” 1 Corinthians 2:10-16 (NLT)

The Holy Spirit also reminds us of the teachings of Jesus Christ. In this way, we are never without His counsel:

“But when the Father sends the Advocate as my representative – that is, the Holy Spirit – he will teach you everything and will remind you of everything I have told you.” John 14:26 (NLT)

Salvation

Many earthly churches and religious organizations claim to have a monopoly on salvation. But only one path to salvation exists, and it has nothing to do with the doctrines of earthly churches and religious organizations:

“If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is by believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and it is by confessing with your mouth that you are saved. As the Scriptures tell us, ‘Anyone who trusts in him will never be disgraced.’ Jew and Gentile are the same in this respect. They have the same Lord, who gives generously to all who call on him. For ‘Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.’” Romans 10:9-13 (NLT)

Salvation is equally available to both Jew and Gentile. Even though they may observe different religious traditions, both are saved when they “call on the name of the Lord.” For salvation comes not from the traditions of man or from his good works, but only from God’s mercy through the blood of Jesus Christ:

“He saved us, not because of the righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He washed away our sins, giving us a new birth and new life through the Holy Spirit.” Titus 3:5 (NLT)

The ability to wash away sins and give new life through the Holy Spirit is NOT a power enjoyed by self-righteous humans or earthly religious groups. It is the exclusive domain of God Himself:

“God saved you by his grace when you believed. And you can’t take credit for this; it is a gift from God. Salvation is not a reward for the good things we have done, so none of us can boast about it.” Ephesians 2:8-9 (NLT)
Salvation is not a complicated matter. It doesn’t require years of theological study. It doesn’t require good works or religious rituals. No traditions of man are necessary, nor is membership in a religious organization, or weekly attendance in a fancy building.

All that is necessary is a personal relationship with your Creator:

“And this is the way to have eternal life – to know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, the one you sent to earth.” John 17:3 (NLT)

This relationship is available to everyone willing to trust in Christ – don’t let anyone convince you otherwise! For what man can close a door which God has opened?

Conclusion

Members of the one true church of God live by the laws of God’s Kingdom, not by the human laws of this earthly kingdom. This isn’t an indictment of the churches here on earth, only a reminder that a church is not an end unto itself. A person’s focus should be on Jesus Christ, and a church is worthless unless it aids in furthering this purpose.

The one true church lives through the Holy Spirit, and the Holy Spirit resides in the hearts of individuals of varying circumstances. Some are rich; some are poor. They are people of many different races, languages, and nations. And they are people of many different religious upbringings, members of many different earthly religious denominations. Some are Catholic. Some are Protestant. Some are neither.

Do you find this concept difficult to accept?

Then ask yourself where your true allegiance lies. Is your ultimate authority a religious group? Or is your ultimate authority Jesus Christ? For a person can only obey one or the other:

“Don’t you realize that whatever you choose to obey becomes your master?” Romans 6:16 (NLT)

Do you believe the church you attend on Sunday is infallible? Do you believe a particular denomination is the only path to truth and salvation? If so, you’re putting your faith in a human created organization and not Jesus Christ. According to Jesus, this is not the road to Him:

“No one can serve two masters. For you will hate one and love the other; you will be devoted to one and despise the other.” Matthew 6:24 (NLT)

http://brittgillette.com/WordPress/?p=62

Amen, Amen and AMEN!!! - SElah! (end of discussion) - you can close this thread now
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by Nobody: 6:53pm On Apr 13, 2010
The Pope and the Catholic church were not the only institutions that practised these abominable acts .
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by flexshop(m): 6:55pm On Apr 13, 2010
@frosbel, thank God u r a christian.maybe dats why u sound humane.
Im a liberal catholic and i am against a few doctrines in the church although i have nt left and not planning on leaving soon.
Dat said, people misundastand some things.the pope doesnt lead the church,the Holyspirit does. The pope is just an instrument in his hands. I understood that not long ago. The holyspirit cannot be wrong or ever try to mislead the flock.People tend to miss dat fact. They just wanna see it as cardinal ratzinger. Why do u think the church has stood the test of time? Nobody supports paedophiles.but neither should we support a lie against the holyspirit. Please i know u are rational, hw can an atheist raise such a bogus case when we all know that their aim is to tear down the church to further assert their claims dat THERE IS NO GOD. Dont you c the bias in their judgement and the hate clouding their thoughts?

@Mzdarkskin, nothing is new under the sun. We have seen rapists,serial killers, mass murderers etc and so cult leaders aint knew, All u nid is a mental retard wit a poor parental care to produce one.
Like some earlier posters said, just because their is a judas among the 12 does that make them all bad huh?
I aint tryna defend no religion here.lets just be rational.
And about the colonialism black freedom and all dat, that is in the past now.all men are born free.
The making of a pope is not political or based on sentiments.its Gods work you know.

Like i said im liberal.and nw to you
@dominoifet, mehn u sound like a depraved man, there is a correction facility in my precinct for mentally retarded coke addicts like u, The people to be arrested are the people who grant imb*c*les like u internet access bl**dy m*r*n tongue
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by Nobody: 6:56pm On Apr 13, 2010
frosbel:

If you thought the Pope and the Catholic church were the only institutions that practised these abominable acts then read a more shocking story here :

http://crombouke..com/2010/01/islamic-child-sexual-abuse-muslim.html

yeah, hey leave the pope alone since its done in some islamic countries

how typical tongue

frosbel:

Ever since I disgraced you in previous debates, you have been chasing me around Nairaland, abeg leave me , before I report you for cyber space stalking.

see this coward is that how you defeated me in previous debates - by running away grin grin

answer the question - do easter and christmas not have pagan roots?

if not for the cathloic church u're doing a typical job of forsaking when the chiops are down - there wouldn't be any christains today .
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by Nobody: 6:58pm On Apr 13, 2010
oyb:

yeah, hey leave the pope alone since its done in some islamic countries

how typical tongue

You wan run again,  grin grin grin.

Lets end it here, before I expose u more , lol.
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by omofat: 7:00pm On Apr 13, 2010
@oyb: that's not what frosbel is saying at all.
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by Nobody: 7:04pm On Apr 13, 2010
frosbel:

You wan run again,  grin grin grin.

Lets end it here, before I expose u more , lol.

expose wetin?

bring on your copy and paste - we know you dont have any original arguments

you can also answer the question i posed

or run off and claim victory - tongue
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by flexshop(m): 7:05pm On Apr 13, 2010
Enough of this religious talk. Im out *sighs and leaves thread* cool cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

$15b Deals: I’m Ready For Trial, Says Ex-nsa Dasuki / Kebbi State Labour Party Woman Leader's Shop Burnt / SHOCKING!!! Which Of The State Governors Is This Man (see Shocking Picture)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.