Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,718 members, 7,831,256 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 04:14 PM

Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested (13915 Views)

Cogent Reasons Why Kanu Must Die By Hanging And Tompolo Must Be Arrested / El-rufai To Critics : GO AND DIE If You're Not Happy Over My Appointees / Okupe: Critics Of Jonathan Are Silly Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by flexshop(m): 7:05pm On Apr 13, 2010
Enough of this religious talk. Im out *sighs and leaves thread* cool cool
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by Nobody: 7:09pm On Apr 13, 2010
flexshop:

Enough of this religious talk. Im out *sighs and leaves thread* cool cool

Leaves too , grin

Oyb , stop stalking me, Please.
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by agathamari(f): 7:15pm On Apr 13, 2010
maybe now people will take a closer look at thier religion including other things the church has had a habit of hidding
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by Nobody: 7:16pm On Apr 13, 2010
frosbel:

Leaves too , grin

Oyb , stop stalking me, Please.

why - later you will be blathering about winning a debate when all you did was run away tongue
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by Sagamite(m): 7:17pm On Apr 13, 2010
Movingcoil:

@sagamite, u have a very big luck u asked for forgiveness, don't try that again before thunder go strike you and your ogun head there.

Sàngó punish you.

Me? Ask for which kin forgiveness? Which Thunder?

You wan send thunder come meet Sàngó pikin? A whole Sàngó the God of thunder. Anuofia!

Why you no get liver make you refuse swallow wetin Shìgìdì ask you to swallow last night?  grin
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by Nobody: 7:52pm On Apr 13, 2010
@sagamite, u be okpo, u for no ask for forgiveness an see wetin 4 happen to you, ikpu
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by ChinenyeN(m): 8:34pm On Apr 13, 2010
Movingcoil:

@sagamite, u be okpo, u for no ask for forgiveness an see wetin 4 happen to you, ikpu
I'm not sure it works that way. . .
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by edogu(m): 10:36pm On Apr 13, 2010
@shagamite, agathamari, oyb: U all are anti-christ.
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by Audrie(f): 10:52pm On Apr 13, 2010
All these people bashing and flinging the trashtalk at the Catholic Church, it's really, really uncalled for. You people are speaking mostly out of ignorance. And I must say your ignorance is quiet appalling. What you think you know, you really don't know. Stop hating and please, please get a life.
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by Sagamite(m): 10:54pm On Apr 13, 2010
edogu:

@shagamite, agathamari, oyb: U all are anti-christ.

Eh ehn!

Mi o mo.

You are anti-sense.
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by Eziachi: 11:12pm On Apr 13, 2010
It is not worth thinking what these catholic child molesters must have has done in poor countries, especially in Africa and South America. Who will investigate theirs and who will speak for them?
The victim could easily be told that the priest is just placing holy spirit upon you. How dare you say that man of god touched your prick?

The pope managed to wriggle out of his Nazi past, lets see how he will manage this damaging letter he wrote to protect a child molesting priest years ago.
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by naijaking1: 11:14pm On Apr 13, 2010
Let's not forget that this is an opportunity to address excesses of religious practices: islam, christianity, judaism, Buddihsim, etc. No need to make things personal.
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by thehomer: 11:31pm On Apr 13, 2010
Will the pope be arrested?
I think that will be unlikely.

But should he be arrested?
If the accusations of his aiding and abetting child molesters is true, he should face charges.
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by Omolulu(m): 11:34pm On Apr 13, 2010
Who knos the pope's address? I go arrest am myself cool
On a serious note, Nothing will happen,No be only arrest, Na detain
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by naijaking1: 12:10am On Apr 14, 2010
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100413/wl_nm/us_pope_abuse

[size=18pt]Vatican scoffs at idea of arresting pope in Britain[/size]

VATICAN CITY (Reuters) – The Vatican said on Tuesday Pope Benedict was willing to meet more sexual abuse victims but not under media pressure and scoffed at calls for the pope to be arrested when he visits Britain in September.

A lawyer for British author and atheist campaigner Richard Dawkins said in London at the weekend he would try to have Pope Benedict arrested to face questions over accusations the Church covered up cases of sexual abuse of children by priests.

Asked about this at a briefing on the pope's trip to Malta this weekend, Vatican spokesman Father Federico Lombardi scoffed.

"This is a bizarre idea to say the least. It looks like the intent is to make a public opinion splash. I think they should look for something more serious and concrete before we can respond to it," he said.

"The pope's visit (to Britain) is a visit of state, and so it would be very strange if during a state visit the person who is invited to make a state visit is arrested," he said.

Dawkins, a scientist and outspoken critic of religion, has asked human rights lawyers to examine whether charges could be brought against the pope during the September 16-19 trip.

The Vatican has rejected accusations the pope helped to cover up abuse by priests in jobs he held before his election in 2005 and has accused the media of waging a "despicable campaign of defamation" against him.

In Washington, the American Humanist Association, which advocates the rights of non-believers, backed Dawkins' view that the pope should not have diplomatic immunity as a head of state and called for a "criminal investigation" of the church.

"Religious institutions should not be exempt from such scrutiny just because they are religious, and they should be held accountable for any criminal wrongdoing," the AHA said in a statement.

The Vatican said last week that Benedict, who travels to Malta on Saturday, would be willing to meet more victims, as he had during his trips to the United States and Australia.

The pope feels that meetings with victims should take place "in a climate that is intentionally one of reflection, discreet, and not under pressure of the glare of the media, so he can have a real possibility to listen and communicate personally," Lombardi said.

MALTESE MEN SUING PRIESTS

Ten Maltese men who are suing three priests for alleged child abuse have requested a private meeting with the pope [ID:nLDE63B271].

Lombardi said he could not say if a meeting would take place. "I am not the one who decides what the pope does during his trips," Lombardi said, adding that such meetings were not announced in advance but confirmed only after they take place.

A spokesman for the Maltese men said they wanted a meeting "to help us heal and to overcome this trauma".

So far, the pope has not spoken out directly on the new wave of sexual abuse allegations that is besetting the Church in a number of countries, including the United States, Italy and his native Germany. He last spoke about it in a letter to the Irish people on March 20.

In Malta, which is about 95 percent Catholic, billboards publicizing the papal visit were daubed last week with images related to sexual abuse.

The crisis over abuse of children by priests shows no sign of abating, with new revelations emerging almost daily and the Vatican scrambling to find a response strategy.

On Monday the Vatican published an online guide to rules for handling sex abuse charges against priests. It made clear high up that bishops must report crimes to the police, saying that "civil law concerning reporting of crimes to the appropriate authorities should always be followed".

Also on Monday, a new report commissioned by the Church in Germany said children were "sadistically tormented and also sexually abused" at a Catholic monastery in the heavily Catholic Bavaria region.

(Writing by Philip Pullella; Editing by Simon Cameron-Moore and Paul Taylor)
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by mamagee3(f): 1:20am On Apr 14, 2010
igbo boy:

I dont know why people put the Pope on a pedestal, For all I know I cant vouch for him that he hasnt touched any boy back in his earlier days, He was a secret Nazi sympathizer,

Priests, Imams, pastors or what not are human beings like us for christ sake, Dem dey shiiiit like us, dey drink water and dey get feelings (abi body na fire wood?)

Well being in the free world people cna criticisze him, (this is not an islamic republic where when u criticize one holy man or prophet then they issue fatwa on your head)/.//he should take it like a man,  angry
Woh!, You're going too far. . .Nazi has nothing to do with this. . .

Don't go that far.
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by truly: 4:16am On Apr 14, 2010
@Frosbel
[b]The two WORST enemies of the true church :

1. Militant Islam

2. Catholicism

Insult me if you want, I care not
[/b]

Who determines which is the true church?
And the true church is nobody's enemy?
What about militant christianity?
Or what do you call the crusades (open war) instigated by the pope?
Why is a thread on the pope now turned to castigation of Islam
Defend the actions of the pope and leave Islam alone for once
And if you need to criticise Islam, create the thread and bring the evidence
By the way, you must be able to prove that the guilty Islamic leader's status is similar to the pope's and his action is condoned by Islam
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by hotgusta: 9:54am On Apr 14, 2010
Arrest the Holy father? O please, let he without sins be the first to cast a stone.
What has he done? I know that God who has put him there will never let me fall.
God have mercy on all of us ad grat us His salvation. shocked shocked shocked angry angry angry
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by Nobody: 10:33am On Apr 14, 2010
Who determines which is the true church? And the true church is nobody's enemy?

I posted an article about the true church on Page 6 of this thread, if you skipped it before asking this question , we need to review your WAEC English 'O' Level results.  grin

What about militant christianity?

Exactly , my article will also clarify this, if not, come back to me and I will enlighten you further.

what do you call the crusades (open war) instigated by the pope?

Precisley my point, we both agree on this, Why ? Let me be selfless and leave this question another Nairlander to answer .

Why is a thread on the pope now turned to castigation of Islam

Ask Oyb, lol.

But seriously , you have not been reading, Before you ask a question, read the context of the article. Mention was made I think on page 5 or 6 of this thread, comparing the pope's situation to that of Imams and the ensuing noise making.

Defend the actions of the pope and leave Islam alone for once

Okay you know what, now I realise the problem. I give you 3 hours to read the entire thread with comments and then I will answer your questions. Specifically let me know where I defended paedophilia in the catholic church

By the way, you must be able to prove that the guilty Islamic leader's status is similar to the pope's and his action is condoned by Islam

The difference with the case of the catholic church is that paedophilia is illegal, perverse and shameful and hence all the current outcry from christians angry about this matter.

On the contrary in certain cultures it is sanctioned for older men to marry small girls.

For example this is a statement by Ayatollah Khomeini

Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution: "A man can marry a girl younger than nine years of age, even if the girl is still a baby being breastfed. A man, however is prohibited from having intercourse with a girl younger than 7, other sexual act such as forplay, rubbing, kissing and having pleasure is allowed, " (Ayatollah Khomeini) - Farsi Text
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by Abeskey: 10:45am On Apr 14, 2010
Gents,
No one should be above the law.I dont want to judge but to raise issues of concern so that we can all think about it.Can we be in sin and ask for grace to abound? the answer is nay.People whether by their allegiance to one faith or the other should not perpetrate,aid,cover up or indulge criminal activities.Christainity and all other faiths are a subset of the secular world.Infact by the trust reposed in these people due to their religious confession and status,we expect them to lead by examples and not to descend low to the extent of sexually abusing minors.
Have we thought about the effect of their actions on their victims and the overall effect on the society.Minors experiencing these kind of things could turn out to hate the church and the society at large for these crimes they suffer with their violators going unpunished.
Have we tried to put ourselves in their shoes or probably our kids.What is the difference between these clergies commiting these crimes and a normal man on the street who violates his neighbour's child.
Religion does not protect evil.If these clergies are investigated and found guility,I think they should face the full wrath of the law OR else our resentment of the crimes we claim the moslem world perpetrates will not be justified.
A SIN is a SIN and A CRIME is a CRIME irrespective or its unique nomenclature or WHO is involved.
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by Nobody: 10:49am On Apr 14, 2010
Abeskey:

Gents,
No one should be above the law.I dont want to judge but to raise issues of concern so that we can all think about it.Can we be in sin and ask for grace to abound? the answer is nay.People whether by their allegiance to one faith or the other should not perpetrate,aid,cover up or indulge criminal activities.Christainity and all other faiths are a subset of the secular world.Infact by the trust reposed in these people due to their religious confession and status,we expect them to lead by examples and not to descend low to the extent of sexually abusing minors.
Have we thought about the effect of their actions on their victims and the overall effect on the society.Minors experiencing these kind of things could turn out to hate the church and the society at large for these crimes they suffer with their violators going unpunished.
Have we tried to put ourselves in their shoes or probably our kids.What is the difference between these clergies commiting these crimes and a normal man on the street who violates his neighbour's child.
Religion does not protect evil.If these clergies are investigated and found guility,I think they should face the full wrath of the law OR else our resentment of the crimes we claim the moslem world perpetrates will not be justified.
A SIN is a SIN and A CRIME is a CRIME irrespective or its unique nomenclature or WHO is involved.

I am 100% for what you said.

All Paedophiles must be rounded up in the catholic church, sacked and jailed.

But, until the Pope himself has been accused of Paedophilia, he should be left alone.

Is he now responsible for the sexual urges of his priests ? Which is why I think the catholic church missed the road here when they disallow marriage of priests and nuns , all false doctrine.

The bible supports this as per below :

"Now the Spirit speaketh expressly that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits and DOCTRINES OF DEVILS; Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a red hot iron; Forbidding to marry ., "
(I Timothy 4:1-2).
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by omofat: 11:19am On Apr 14, 2010
frosbel:

I am 100% for what you said.

All Paedophiles must be rounded up in the catholic church, sacked and jailed.

But, until the Pope himself has been accused of Paedophilia, he should be left alone.

Is he now responsible for the sexual urges of his priests ? Which is why I think the catholic church missed the road here when they disallow marriage of priests and nuns , all false doctrine.

The bible supports this as per below :

"Now the Spirit speaketh expressly that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits and DOCTRINES OF DEVILS; Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a red hot iron; Forbidding to marry ., "
(I Timothy 4:1-2).

No. He's not responsible for the sexual urges of his priests. However he is responsible for the wellbeing of his flock, to protect them from ravenous wolves. In that regard, he failed.
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by Nobody: 11:21am On Apr 14, 2010
omo~fat:

No. He's not responsible for the sexual urges of his priests. However he is responsible for the wellbeing of his flock, to protect them from ravenous wolves. In that regard, he failed.

You have a point !
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by ayettymama(f): 11:49am On Apr 14, 2010
^^ not really, how could he have stopped what happened from happening?? all he did was stop people from finding out

it wouldnt have made been good for the reputaion of the church if he didnt

the royal family ova here do the same all the time- jack the ripper? anotha gay pedophile? the children murderers?

the government of nigeria- with all thier scams and wotnots- do u not think they all know?
there are always cover ups and conspiracies

maybe not in the people best interest but there u have it

lolz even i scoffed at the idea- they wouldnt dare-pope prolly has more followers than this country put togetha!
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by omofat: 12:06pm On Apr 14, 2010
ayettymama:

^^ not really, how could he have stopped what happened from happening?? all he did was stop people from finding out

it wouldnt have made been good for the reputaion of the church if he didnt

the royal family ova here do the same all the time- jack the ripper? anotha gay craddle-robber? the children murderers?

the government of nigeria- with all thier scams and wotnots- do u not think they all know?
there are always cover ups and conspiracies

maybe not in the people best interest but there u have it

lolz even i scoffed at the idea- they wouldnt dare-pope prolly has more followers than this country put togetha!

1. The pope surely has a duty of care to his people, no?

2. Lets assume he couldn't have done anything about it as you say. Why stop the people with the power to do something about it by covering it up?

3. I guess the answer to 2 above is in your next sentence. He did it to protect the reputation of the church right? - Answer me this, what in your opinion has done more to harm the reputation of the church - censuring a handful or recalcitrant priest early on, showing leadership and providing self-censorship OR having the leader of the catholic church in the current position he is now, having to defend himself against the almost daily news stream of attrocious acts commited in the past by his subordinates?

I agree with you, there are always cover ups. Another reality is that some people are above the law. The pope I guess happens to be one of such people.
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by truly: 1:14pm On Apr 14, 2010
@igbo boy
I dont know why people put the Pope on a pedestal, For all I know I cant vouch for him that he hasnt touched any boy back in his earlier days, He was a secret Nazi sympathizer,

Priests, Imams, pastors or what not are human beings like us for christ sake, Dem dey shiiiit like us, dey drink water and dey get feelings (abi body na fire wood?)

Well being in the free world people cna criticisze him, (this is not an islamic republic where when u criticize one holy man or prophet then they issue fatwa on your head)/.//he should take it like a man,

It is necessary to have the facts
Fatawa is religious ruling
It can be on any matter - can I go for pilgrimage before age of maturity? is suicide permitted in Islam etc?
However, you don't get any special attention for abusing a so-called holy man eg the Grand Mufti (holder of the highest religious law office and who issues fatawas)
However, it is a sin to abuse the Prophet (peace be upon him)
Now there is no need for any new fatawa on that
This is similar to the position in England until 2008
Where there was a law against blasphemy (which only recognised offence against christainty only)
Yes, blasphemy is an offence in Islam but that is restricted to abuse of the religion, the Prophets and Allah
If you abuse any other person, it is not the subject of a fatawa

Now Islam discourages the abuse of all religious leaders - christian, hindu, etc
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by eldee(m): 1:18pm On Apr 14, 2010
ayettymama:

Wrong, this is not the UK versus catholics.
This is justice and moral correctness versus papal immunity.

So if the UK fails, it's a failure of justice and equality not Richard Dawkins'.
I'm a Christian, but forgive me for rejecting ignorant B.S like . . .'erm, but he's a Saint'
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by ayettymama(f): 1:42pm On Apr 14, 2010
eldee:

Wrong, this is not the UK versus catholics.
This is justice and moral correctness versus papal immunity.

So if the UK fails, it's a failure of justice and equality not Richard Dawkins'.
I'm a Christian, but forgive me for rejecting ignorant B.S like . . .'erm, but he's a Saint'

what u on abt moral correct wat?? are u tryna tell me the uk is oblivious to what else happens in the world?

who exactly will arrest him?? the metro?? for a crime commited where and when?? anybody with any ounce of common sense or legal knowledge will know its not possible- they cant even do it with a common citizen talkless of the pope- we all know the vatican is a powerful body= not to be messed with even the queen wont try it!

please who resigned and made richard president of the human rights association?? we all know he doesnt give a shitz about humanity- he's just a militant atheist

why dont i start filing arrest petitions against governments of every country enforcing sharia law??

governments of countries that allow 9 yr olds to be married to old men?

governments that turn blind eyes to honour killings on young women??

curropts governments that allow civil war for political gain- why dont all the leaders go to prison for it??

are these not all crimes against humanity?? Why is george bush and tony blair still roaming free, they commited crimes against humanity too

please the pope didnt defile anybody and cannot be prosecuted for shitz, richard should go to rome and start gathering evidence of otherwise if he really wants the pope in prison!
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by eldee(m): 1:57pm On Apr 14, 2010
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Nothing personal, but I can't be bothered to read your whole thesis. But I already know what to expect.

How many times do I have to explain to you guys??
1. The Pope is not being accused of paedophilia, he's been accused of covering it up from the authorities, and possibly a charge of aiding and abetting.

2. No one said he did anything except the people drafting a case against him, the probably have their evidence, we don't know.

3. The Pope is innocent until proven guilty.

4. Tony Blair is not roaming free, he's facing a trial.

5. By European and American law, paedophilia is a crime, since the Pope is God in the Vatican and Italy, he should stay there if he's scared.

I can't believe the only excuse the Vatican can give is, erm . . . he didn't actually commit paedophilia . . . what happened to their presumed moral superiority that they used to hold on to in the past??
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by ayettymama(f): 2:03pm On Apr 14, 2010
i dont blame you, its probably a bit complicated for some to understand

no, he cannot be arrested in the uk or in the us for a crime he may or may not have commited in rome

i hope that was clear enough for you
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by eldee(m): 2:15pm On Apr 14, 2010
ayettymama:

i dont blame you, its probably a bit complicated for some to understand

no, he cannot be arrested in the uk or in the us for a crime he may or may not have commited in rome

i hope that was clear enough for you

Hehehe . . . yeah, it's too complicated for me to understand, aiite.

Aiite, free lecture in International Law for you.
There's this thing called the EU law, crimes you commit anywhere in the Europe can be tried in any court in this region.
The domestic laws are interpreted to comply with EU law and thereby giving you relatively the same punishment anywhere.

Infact, there's a possibility that it might set a European precedent.

Word of advice, go to school, read your books and newspapers, and leave this to people that know it to discuss.
Have a nice day.
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by omofat: 2:19pm On Apr 14, 2010
eldee:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Nothing personal, but I can't be bothered to read your whole thesis. But I already know what to expect.

How many times do I have to explain to you guys??
1. The Pope is not being accused of paedophilia, he's been accused of covering it up from the authorities, and possibly a charge of aiding and abetting.

2. No one said he did anything except the people drafting a case against him, the probably have their evidence, we don't know.

3. The Pope is innocent until proven guilty.

4. Tony Blair is not roaming free, he's facing a trial.

5. By European and American law, paedophilia is a crime, since the Pope is God in the Vatican and Italy, he should stay there if he's scared.

I can't believe the only excuse the Vatican can give is, erm . . . he didn't actually commit paedophilia . . . what happened to their presumed moral superiority that they used to hold on to in the past??

God bless you for that.

So far the various defenses I've heard are:

1. The pope didnt personally abuse anybody - no one has accused him of that.
2. It's the bloddy atheists bringing up the charges - shooting the messengers. Never mind that the atheists are doing what the Church should have done.
3. It's the gays/jews/(insert any other minority here) fault. - pure deflection
4. Everybody covers stuff up - surely, what is bad is bad, no?
5. The Holy father is ,  Holy - these issues being highlighted today have to do with things that happened before he became pope.
6. There was nothing he could have done about the abuses - Errr, may be he couldnt stop the first, second, etc cases,  but some of those priests ended up re-offending and molesting many many more people AFTER the then cardinal found out about their crimes.
7. He who is without sin should cast the first stone - Pure ignorance. How about reading the part that says "to whom much is given, much is expected"?

Sadly the reality on ground is that nothing will happen to the pope. Legally it is a minefield to arrest and try him anywhere. He can't be tried while he is a pope and since pope's don't (usually) resign, he will probably avoid the humiliation of an arrest/trial. However, make no mistake of the damage this incident has done to the catholic church's reputation.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Boko-Haram Kill 13 Persons In Borno / APC Promises Automatic Tickets And Structure To Defecting PDP Members / Nigeria Airforce Acquires 10 Helicopters Awaiting 10 Other Training

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.