Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,052 members, 7,821,626 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:59 PM

Nigeria Lady Delivers Message To Everyone Planning To Move To America1 - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigeria Lady Delivers Message To Everyone Planning To Move To America1 (51153 Views)

Nigerian Woman Delivers Her Baby On Turkish Flight To Manchester / "Living Abroad Is More Difficult Than Living In Nigeria" - Lady / Nigerian Lady Delivers Baby On International Flight (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Lady Delivers Message To Everyone Planning To Move To America1 by Bitterleafsoup: 5:13pm On Jan 16, 2018
musicwriter:

The problem is not those bills. We also pay them here. The problem is the US economy was originally designed to exploit black people (slaves) during the days of slavery. It was designed so that no matter how hard the slaves worked, they would still owe their masters.

When slavery ended, the land owners which later became banks and lenders, carried over the practice to wider society. The US economy is about extracting wealth from citizens, to make sure you continue to owe the master, just like the slaves. However, when someone beat the system and get wealthy, it is called the ''American dream'' and the government promote the idea to high heavens to convince people to work harder to enrich the money masters/banks/lenders.
You said it all!
Re: Nigeria Lady Delivers Message To Everyone Planning To Move To America1 by makydebbie(f): 5:52pm On Jan 16, 2018
Godson201333:

+
corn 3 ....country .....I do not know why someone will still be writing like that in this civilised world
Honestly it's annoying.
Re: Nigeria Lady Delivers Message To Everyone Planning To Move To America1 by sylve11: 5:59pm On Jan 16, 2018
stacyadams:
grin grin after how many years of independence we no build nigeria/?na u for cum bbak cum build am nah....we must reach there grin grin

simple grin grin cool
Re: Nigeria Lady Delivers Message To Everyone Planning To Move To America1 by habsydiamond(m): 6:35pm On Jan 16, 2018
makydebbie:
What is con3? undecided

At bold, you're making sense.
country....
Re: Nigeria Lady Delivers Message To Everyone Planning To Move To America1 by Sharonose: 6:35pm On Jan 16, 2018
berryice:
She is right..in America all what u work for...tax always take half of it..is better to b successful in naija....nd do your vacation in America..than stay in America permanently...in America nobody render help to you...u work for every penny..if only our government can provide more job opportunities for us..we all would b average rich
so u won't work for every penny before?
Re: Nigeria Lady Delivers Message To Everyone Planning To Move To America1 by danberg: 7:22pm On Jan 16, 2018
I've read all the comments here.

Bottom line; Don't travel out If you're not a professional (Health etc) or If you do not possess a skill set. (Digital marketing, financial trading, project management using Scrum etc).

If you do, get ready to work your ass off!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Lady Delivers Message To Everyone Planning To Move To America1 by benebaby77: 7:51pm On Jan 16, 2018
oaktown101:
you right bro. i live in California and i know the reality on ground here. if you hard working and not extravagant in your spending you will make decent earning here. Naija is no where compared but it is still hard though to survive here. Whatever you are making overtime your wants and needs will change and you will want to level up with Nigerian popping champagne in yankee then you will realize that it is not easy as expected. Human needs and wants changes overtime you can't control that. Whatever you earning would be payback in dollars for all your bills so you have to bear that in mind too.

Boss, I think I can survive there and any hardworking Nigerians can survive there. Nigeria is just a harsh country with harsh leaders with no human feelings.

Imagine no light in my area for about 1 week now and fuel is not available to power generator.

Anybody who knows what's doing should mind their expenses and should not do copy copy....

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Lady Delivers Message To Everyone Planning To Move To America1 by klemony: 7:52pm On Jan 16, 2018
From what the lady on video has said,i think she doesn't really mean America is a difficult nation. All what she's saying is that life is not as rosy as we think or as our relatives and friends paint it for us to be in America. Most Africans would only say the good and better/brighter side of America than the ulgly,nasty and dirty side of it. I have family friends in America whom almost everyone in the family has migrated to usa except just two remaining. I made calls to them at anytime and we chat.One of them.which happens to be my childhood friend got married here and moved down to usa and now with a kid overthere. He now has about 3 cars he use with his wife. they are both working and husband earns about $800/week and wife works in about three places.They have now rented their own houses and have beautiful apartment.Lately.he complained to me that winter in Alabamais very harsh as a matter of fact,everything in america is in excess.when it comes to summer,the sun is too hot.when it comes to rain,the rain will be to heavy and causes hurricane.but to crown it all,he said what will take u 10 years to achieve in nigeria,it will only take u about 6 months to achieve in america.But the problem overthere to many people is to have work permit and greencard.without these,u cant work legally or live legally in america.you will be scared of immigration officer because u didnt have papers to work. Furthermore,u cant travel to ur country for a long period of time becaus eif u do,u wont be given a visa anylonger because u have overstayed so this becomes a very big challenge many migrant have been facing. Taxes overthere are high.There are jobs in states where u less have immigration officers monitoring workers but for states that are exterior and crowdy,u're unsafe to be engage as a worker.u can be working and all of a sudden u hear an alert that immigration coming into the building to check papers then u run out of the building and abadon ur job and loose it for ever.Nigeria can still be a better place even if our leaders are fucking up big time. the only thing my friend preaches to me everyday is come to america. I believe in this country,u're not totally free in america.ur still a second class citizen. If we the youths and eshew the mindset of get rich syndrome all shall be well. I spend most of my time on the web,i had conversations with youths in other countries of the world like china,nepal,indonesia,philipine,india,lebanese,bangladesh etc and i could see the patriotism ans passion in them over their countries.Chinese workers could destroy a plenty of phones in their domain at their huawei office in lagos due to expiration by smashing it off with hammer. A typical nigerian begged to be given to use but they insist that they cant tarnish their image for anything..that is brand loyalty.Let us all play our part with team spirit to build this nation well. God bless nigeria,God bless us all.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Lady Delivers Message To Everyone Planning To Move To America1 by Lhimeet(m): 7:59pm On Jan 16, 2018
pepethemaniac:
Her reasons are so stupid. Why are most blacks so unintelligent? What kind of genetic garbage is this person on screen? You like to keep it real but you are trying so hard (and failing ) to talk like an American amongst other meaningless points you listed on your video about America.

Is it in Nigeria that if you don't pay your rent you will be allowed to stay? What the fvck is wrong with Africans?
All Nigerians in abroad are just mere hypocrites!...Come back to your country & say this shii... Oh,she thinks this shii she recorded will change anyone's mind?...Never!
Re: Nigeria Lady Delivers Message To Everyone Planning To Move To America1 by timesup234: 8:01pm On Jan 16, 2018
lifestyle1:

If what you type is correct then we can say the over hyped america is a shithole ?

grin
The USA has been a shithole for decades. They did a good job covering the suffering of majority of Americans via Hollywood propaganda. America is worse than hell and most people will die in debt. No reasonable person will consider applying for a slave US. visa

http://money.cnn.com/2017/01/12/pf/americans-lack-of-savings/index.html
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/most-americans-cant-handle-a-500-surprise-bill/
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/most-americans-are-one-paycheck-away-from-the-street-2015-01-07

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Lady Delivers Message To Everyone Planning To Move To America1 by MIKOLOWISKA: 9:19pm On Jan 16, 2018
pepethemaniac:

Typical Nigerian, wants everything for free. lol
How is the government supposed to provide all this things if you don't pay for it? you are lucky you get what you paid for.
I also like how you put the bills in dollar but then put the total in Naira (useless currency) so as to make your post more scary. lol
govt doesn't provide anything but security. Everything else is private sector which we have in Nigeria.they're just lazy
Re: Nigeria Lady Delivers Message To Everyone Planning To Move To America1 by MIKOLOWISKA: 9:22pm On Jan 16, 2018
shagaman:

From the calculation I can help break down expenses.
730k is like 1800 usd monthly that's if she doesn't miss a day.

Rent average depending on area a bedroom can cost up to 650 -820 usd depending on location.

If you have a car gas monthly is average of 35 usd weekly.

Phone bill 40 usd if using metro line, but with Sprint it might be cheaper

Electricity fluctuates your bill can rise up to 250 usd during this mad cold cos u need heater if u don't want village people to sing he was once a good fellow for you.

Internet is extremely cheap so one can be on 10 usd unlimited monthly if using xinfinity platform.

Water rate 80 usd monthly .

With 1800 earned per month you would spend at least 1300 on utilities.

But rather than discourage people encourage them to get their papers right and have a plan, US is not for the faint hearted , everything works from light to good roads , public schools are fantastic for the kids till they enter college.
Once one has a plan in place in the US the Sky is the limit..
If one works hard and most importantly be prayerful , if you survive naija forget you would survive anywhere just know your limits and expectations.
you forgot feeding and car note and translate into Naira
Re: Nigeria Lady Delivers Message To Everyone Planning To Move To America1 by ajl: 10:41pm On Jan 16, 2018
sacluxisback:

Yea but your hustle is pointless if you cant get your own mortgage.

You mean paying off the mortgage? Why not, you can in less than the full payment period if you just want to focus on that. I have seen people do that. I believe each individual need a strategy that work for them.
Re: Nigeria Lady Delivers Message To Everyone Planning To Move To America1 by Bitterleafsoup: 12:01am On Jan 17, 2018
SirBaro:
So in short, from what you said now, middle class income is poverty?

And by the way, the bolded is not true. Just to let you know.

The Federal poverty level per person is $15,060.00 a year or $1,250.0 a month in USA google it. If you don't want to live in the ghetto, that can only pay for one room in an okay neigborhood a family of 4
is $30,750. The average 1 bedroom apartment in LA, Atlanta, New York is $1,400.00 in an okay neighborhood That is based on before tax btw. So a single person making NGN 500,00 a month is below poverty Dear, if you live with your Mama and don't contribute to any bills I guess your okay.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Lady Delivers Message To Everyone Planning To Move To America1 by Bitterleafsoup: 12:31am On Jan 17, 2018
shagaman:

From the calculation I can help break down expenses.
730k is like 1800 usd monthly that's if she doesn't miss a day.

Rent average depending on area a bedroom can cost up to 650 -820 usd depending on location.

If you have a car gas monthly is average of 35 usd weekly.

Phone bill 40 usd if using metro line, but with Sprint it might be cheaper

Electricity fluctuates your bill can rise up to 250 usd during this mad cold cos u need heater if u don't want village people to sing he was once a good fellow for you.

Internet is extremely cheap so one can be on 10 usd unlimited monthly if using xinfinity platform.

Water rate 80 usd monthly .

With 1800 earned per month you would spend at least 1300 on utilities.

But rather than discourage people encourage them to get their papers right and have a plan, US is not for the faint hearted , everything works from light to good roads , public schools are fantastic for the kids till they enter college.
Once one has a plan in place in the US the Sky is the limit..
If one works hard and most importantly be prayerful , if you survive naija forget you would survive anywhere just know your limits and expectations.
What about car and health insurance, food and if you pay $10.00 for internet forget Youtube or even Nairaland sef. $140 gas a month? Must be a 4 cylinder and you live down the street from your job. So no outings like b-day party, baby shower, movie? How about clothes, hygiene products? What about water and even if you have free water you must go to local laundry mat. The rent you quoted is the ghetto in LA, New York, Atlanta, Chicago, Boston etc; You must live in Idaho or South Dakota with that rent amount.
Re: Nigeria Lady Delivers Message To Everyone Planning To Move To America1 by claremont(m): 12:43am On Jan 17, 2018
lifestyle1:

If she earns $8 per hour

#8 * #365 = #2920 per hour

If she works for 10 hours daily

2920 * 10 = #29,200 daily

If she works for 25 days

#29,200 * 25 = #730,000

Modify

Those frustrated e-diots disturbing my mentions. I send una message ?

So your America is also a shithole ?

grin grin grin

I like the way you calculated her wages and converted it to Naira to make your point. grin

You haven't factored in tax (national and state taxes), accommodation (she doesn't live underneath a bridge), food, transport to and from work, healthcare (healthcare isn't free in America) etc. I could go on and on, the fact is that she can barely eke out a miserable existence on her present income. She is unskilled, and works in an unskilled role. She shouldn't be used as a yardstick to measure hardworking middle-cadre professionals working overseas, there is no reason for comparison as all your per hour calculations doesn't apply to highly skilled middle income earners.

Plus, this idea of converting dollar/pound denominated wages to Naira in order to make a point makes absolutely no sense. People who live overseas earn, get taxed and spend overseas.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Lady Delivers Message To Everyone Planning To Move To America1 by Bitterleafsoup: 12:48am On Jan 17, 2018
MIKOLOWISKA:
Exactly they don't want to tell the truth. Most posting that they know somebody doing good is living on credit, in fact when they come to Nigeria it is on credit. Most guys take out loan to bury or marry someone in 9ja. These guys will go pick one chick in his village with bank loan and bring her to USA throw her in nursing school and after 5 years she will look 20 years older than her age. Only medical doctors I know doing good are defrauding medicare (federal government senior insurance)or they have bought other businesses like fast food joint, partner with other doctors to start a practice etc; You have to have at least 3 streams of income to be wealthy. If you can do sales and earn unlimited income based on performance pay aka as commision you have a chance. But like anywhere living paycheck to paycheck will help you survive. People into tech jobs have the best opportunities as well because easy to get a job plus side hustle. The only other way is illegal business.
You can live with 24 hour electricity, good roads and free school for pekin them up to secondary, but the hustle no be small thing. The same hustle is possible in 9ja.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Lady Delivers Message To Everyone Planning To Move To America1 by Nobody: 1:24am On Jan 17, 2018
America, America......one day na one day, I will be going there to do business, not work my ass out.
Re: Nigeria Lady Delivers Message To Everyone Planning To Move To America1 by shagaman: 2:51am On Jan 17, 2018
Bitterleafsoup:
What about car and health insurance, food and if you pay $10.00 for internet forget Youtube or even Nairaland sef. $140 gas a month? Must be a 4 cylinder and you live down the street from your job. So no outings like b-day party, baby shower, movie? How about clothes, hygiene products? What about water and even if you have free water you must go to local laundry mat. The rent you quoted is the ghetto in LA, New York, Atlanta, Chicago, Boston etc; You must live in Idaho or South Dakota with that rent amount.

Sometimes i wonder why we Nigerians always respond senselessly to some posts, if one stays in the ghetto in the US is it your ghetto, a general breakdown is what is giving instead of you to make sensible contribution , before any one leaps to go to the US a general idea is needed, the local laundry mat you cant spend 10 usd a week , if you like leave in a 20k usd house monthly thats your problem ...This is 2018 lets be wise.
Re: Nigeria Lady Delivers Message To Everyone Planning To Move To America1 by shagaman: 3:00am On Jan 17, 2018
MIKOLOWISKA:

Thank you for this , however feeding is dependent on who is facing the situation , you cant really place how much you spend on feeding, African food generally is expensive, meanwhile the burger and co would make you look like bread that landed in water....its not easy but as i said in my earlier post a plan must be in place, education , if an average Database administrator here earns between 70k -100 k per annum depending on your experience ,this is a 40 hrs a week job .... people forget and sometimes get lost in the reality of life once in the US but remaining focused is very important, for me Nigeria is very good to stay however there is no harm in experiencing a better life where all the functionalities of life works, good roads, better health care, and you can plan....
Re: Nigeria Lady Delivers Message To Everyone Planning To Move To America1 by MIKOLOWISKA: 4:35am On Jan 17, 2018
shagaman:

Thank you for this , however feeding is dependent on who is facing the situation , you cant really place how much you spend on feeding, African food generally is expensive, meanwhile the burger and co would make you look like bread that landed in water....its not easy but as i said in my earlier post a plan must be in place, education , if an average Database administrator here earns between 70k -100 k per annum depending on your experience ,this is a 40 hrs a week job .... people forget and sometimes get lost in the reality of life once in the US but remaining focused is very important, for me Nigeria is very good to stay however there is no harm in experiencing a better life where all the functionalities of life works, good roads, better health care, and you can plan....
we were calculating with 20k a year
I plan to set up farm and use proxies to grow it
exponentially

Or save and bring capital home after retirement
Re: Nigeria Lady Delivers Message To Everyone Planning To Move To America1 by MIKOLOWISKA: 5:04am On Jan 17, 2018
Bitterleafsoup:
Exactly they don't want to tell the truth. Most posting that they know somebody doing good is living on credit, in fact when they come to Nigeria it is on credit. Most guys take out loan to bury or marry someone in 9ja. These guys will go pick one chick in his village with bank loan and bring her to USA throw her in nursing school and after 5 years she will look 20 years older than her age. Only medical doctors I know doing good are defrauding medicare (federal government senior insurance)or they have bought other businesses like fast food joint, partner with other doctors to start a practice etc; You have to have at least 3 streams of income to be wealthy. If you can do sales and earn unlimited income based on performance pay aka as commision you have a chance. But like anywhere living paycheck to paycheck will help you survive. People into tech jobs have the best opportunities as well because easy to get a job plus side hustle. The only other way is illegal business.
You can live with 24 hour electricity, good roads and free school for pekin them up to secondary, but the hustle no be small thing. The same hustle is possible in 9ja.
I de find dat tech job I no see o
Re: Nigeria Lady Delivers Message To Everyone Planning To Move To America1 by Smile4mee01: 5:37am On Jan 17, 2018
Have you ever wondered why people are quick to tell about how tough the USA is and slow to talk about those who have been successful because they went to america?

The last time I visisted. I met succesful nigerians, people whose annual income was in 6 digits Usd. I also met people who were struggling to get by.

Regardless of where you are strive to be succeasful.
God help us.
Re: Nigeria Lady Delivers Message To Everyone Planning To Move To America1 by Bitterleafsoup: 5:42am On Jan 17, 2018
MIKOLOWISKA:
You noticed I said side hustle needed, independent contractor work plus regular job
Re: Nigeria Lady Delivers Message To Everyone Planning To Move To America1 by Bitterleafsoup: 5:52am On Jan 17, 2018
shagaman:

Sometimes i wonder why we Nigerians always respond senselessly to some posts, if one stays in the ghetto in the US is it your ghetto, a general breakdown is what is giving instead of you to make sensible contribution , before any one leaps to go to the US a general idea is needed, the local laundry mat you cant spend 10 usd a week , if you like leave in a 20k usd house monthly thats your problem ...This is 2018 lets be wise.
Do you know the dangers of living in a ghetto, robbery, vandelism, petty thievery worst still assaults or the ultimate. Can you raise a child in the ghetto and expect he or she not to feel the effects? If you did not grow up in that hood you are a target, talk of living with roaches and rats. You better tell the truth unless that household is making up to $50,000.00 a month it is the same struggle as 9ja, as for me life is too short to live in such conditions. If you came from a poor ghetto and moving to another one in the states you go manage I guess.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Lady Delivers Message To Everyone Planning To Move To America1 by shagaman: 7:08am On Jan 17, 2018
GetUmad:

Good points.

You didn't remind them that their conversion is BEFORE TAX . Many people think those money they are fast at converting is what you earn directly like its done in naija. After tax the person might end up earning Just around $1600.
Tax varies on number of dependants.
About the gas, its also the function of the distance between your place of residence to where you're working in addition to your vehicle fuel consumption rate. I've seen people drive more than 20 miles daily to work just to earn 11 dollars before tax. I had someone who spends well above that your figure on gas.
Car insurance not included on your list.
A single room apartment is around 800 usd in some places.
Many of us also think the kind of job they talk about in US is like that of naija where you'd claim you go to work but in reality only spend average of 3 hours daily dedicated to that actual work while remaining hours spent on frivolities. The kind of work that'd earn you that quoted figures above I assume are the "under the table" jobs and you work from the time you resume till you clock out. Only on break you have time to rest. Not like naija that you'd chat, do aproko in between, even take a stroll. Infact some people are reading this from their workplace in Nigeria right now. No chance or opportunity for that. It's a hard labor and when you even see people doing overtime they use all their might and strength to sustain just not to get into debt of recurrent bills and to have a paltry sum to save for their future.

That said, of course if you're focused and determined, regardless, there's hope for you and you'd do better especially if you're not lazy.

The problem with many people that complain is they thought it was going to be easy for them especially cos of the nature of Nigerian jobs they left back home (where all we do is just go to the office doing practically nothing and earn salary at the end of the month. Some would even call in sick, yet they receive their full pay at the end) . When they get to those western countries and see where the real non-stop work is, they cower and start lamenting. It gets worse when they feel tired and frustrated but can't call in sick or resume late cos the jobs are paid mostly on per-hour basis and you get paid only for the duration you worked.

3 gbosa for you, you have summarized everything, as for the man talking about Ghetto, Nigerians hardly live in ghettos nobody wan die we are not used to the gun shot parole, its not like naija where when one party breaks bottle the other guy fit run, YANKEE is gun to gun , you dont need to stay in the ghetto maybe in the projects people pay like $500 - 600 per month but who wants to go our and come back after hussle to see your TV and other things are gone.

As said earlier people on seeing the realities on ground starts complaining because the work hard is real and hussle is real, you are up running 24/7 and when Nigerians complain this is the same work lots of Americans do ,you have to work for your money , most importantly plan and be prayerful.

Most times it just takes a while and patience

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Lady Delivers Message To Everyone Planning To Move To America1 by shagaman: 7:09am On Jan 17, 2018
MIKOLOWISKA:

Try indeed.com lots of tech jobs are there.
Re: Nigeria Lady Delivers Message To Everyone Planning To Move To America1 by shagaman: 7:18am On Jan 17, 2018
Bitterleafsoup:
Do you know the dangers of living in a ghetto, robbery, vandelism, petty thievery worst still assaults or the ultimate. Can you raise a child in the ghetto and expect he or she not to feel the effects? If you did not grow up in that hood you are a target, talk of living with roaches and rats. You better tell the truth unless that household is making up to $50,000.00 a month it is the same struggle as 9ja, as for me life is too short to live in such conditions. If you came from a poor ghetto and moving to another one in the states you go manage I guess.

Oga which house hold do you think can make 50k monthly for yankee maybe you should show some people the way, maybe the definition of ghetto is what you are getting wrong, if you mean the projects ghetto as in ghetto forget it nigerian man cant survive there ,the truth is if you look and search very well there are good and secure apartments that guarantees security,with good schools around depending on where you are,there are states that one can stay and be able to live normal if you bring nigerian lifestyle here of laolao be ready for Prison break.

Having said that i believe grace of God matters, yes Yankee is bleeped but people survive and thrive here , get better education and get your papers right better jobs are on ground.
Re: Nigeria Lady Delivers Message To Everyone Planning To Move To America1 by MIKOLOWISKA: 6:02pm On Jan 17, 2018
shagaman:

Try indeed.com lots of tech jobs are there.
o My bad. I should've said I didn't have the qualifications.
Re: Nigeria Lady Delivers Message To Everyone Planning To Move To America1 by MIKOLOWISKA: 6:05pm On Jan 17, 2018
Bitterleafsoup:
You noticed I said side hustle needed, independent contractor work plus regular job
got it boss
Re: Nigeria Lady Delivers Message To Everyone Planning To Move To America1 by sharpwriter(m): 8:24pm On Jan 17, 2018
makydebbie:
Honestly it's annoying.

That you ears wey look like fan for yur throwback, how is it, is it nw normal? cheesy cheesy grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Hilarious Warning Sign At A Zoo In Abeokuta (photo) / Car Falls Into River, Lady Survives, Many Dead (Graphic Photos) / See The New Face Of Apapa-Wharf Road Built By Dangote And Other Firms - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.