|Join Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New|
Stats: 2,623,211 members, 6,115,013 topics. Date: Saturday, 23 January 2021 at 06:51 PM
|20 Amazing Facts About Kia Cars You May Not Know by AutoReportNG: 1:50pm On Jan 17, 2018|
For the longest time, KIA was an underdog in the automotive industry. At the dawn of its history, the Korean company was a humble manufacturer, barely known to few industry professionals and unnoticeable to the public. However, the company is a living example of the rule that hard work, a little bit of creativity and a fair share of luck can turn an unknown company into one of the top players of the world automotive industry. Nowadays, KIA produces distinctive, reliable, modern and relatively affordable cars. So, let us talk about KIA, shall we?
1. KIA was founded in 1944. Initially, the South Korean company was called KyungSung Precision Industry. In 1951, the company changed its name to KIA Industries. The company focused on the manufacturing of personal vehicles, mainly bicycles, and motorcycles. Much later, in the 1970s KIA launched its own line of cars and trucks.
2. According to KIA Motors, the name “Kia” derives from the Sino-Korean characters ki (起, “to come out”) and a (亞, which stands for East, Asia or both). Therefore, the name “Kia” is can be translated from Korean as “one, that came out of the east.”
3. During the mid-60’s the South Korean company closely cooperated with the famous Japanese automaker Mazda. It was a mutually beneficial partnership; thanks to this experience, KIA managed to develop its own engine in the early 70’s. Two years later, the company created the very first car of its own design. It was a subcompact named KIA Brisa, which was almost an exact copy of the Mazda 1300. The South Korean company actively exported KIA Brisa abroad. The first shipment was sent to Qatar.
4. As early as 1988, KIA produced its 1,000,000th car.
5. In 1998, KIA failed victim to the financial crisis, caused by a sharp decline in sales. As a result, the company lost its independence and was acquired by another South Korean company – Hyundai Motor. In 1999, two Korean automakers united under the name of Hyundai KIA Automotive Group.
6. Nowadays, KIA Motors distribution network covers more than 190 countries. The total number of car dealerships exceeds 5000.
7. KIA has production facilities on all continents, except for Australia.
8. The first commercial success came to the South Korean company in 1986 after the creation of a subcompact KIA Pride. It was a copy of the Japanese automobile Mazda 121. The Korean vehicle turned out to be a very reliable, inexpensive. A total of about two million cars were built. Curiously, in some countries, KIA Pride is being produced to this day.
9. KIA Motors also owns the world’s largest car assembly factory. It is located in the city of Ulsan, South Korea.
10. The Cee’d is Kia’s first European-designed and built car and KIA intends to sell and manufacture the vehicle exclusively in Europe. The name of this most popular model is an abbreviation from the “Community of Europe and European Design”. During the design process, KIA Motors tried to comply with European quality standards. Accordingly, “CE” – the first two letters in the name stand for the European Community or Community of Europe. The second part – “ED”, respectively, is an abbreviation for European Design.
11. Many KIA models are named after geographical objects. For instance, Cerato – is translated from Greek as “peak”, Sorento is a city in Italy, Mohave is a desert in the southwest of the USA.
12. In 1990, KIA developed its own diesel engine DOHC, making another important step in the right direction. Two years later, the company opened its offices in the United States and Europe. The first model to be offered at those markets was the KIA Sephia, and a little bit later, the Korean company presented KIA Sportage, a crossover.
13. KIA Sportage deserves closer attention; released in 1994, it was the most popular SUV. The vehicle was based on the Mazda Bongo chassis. Initially, the Sportage was manufactured at the Karmann factory in the city of Osnabrück, Germany. The subsequent generations of the model were produced in Korea, Slovakia, Indonesia, and Kazakhstan.
14. In 2013, the fourth generation KIA Carens became the best car of its class according to the version of Euro NCAP.
15. KIA is one of the largest sponsors of many excellent sports events. The most famous of them are the FIFA World Cup (World Football Championship) and the UEFA Championship (European Football Championship).
16. KIA automobiles received more than 500 different awards in different countries. For example, KIA Quoris is a car year in the UAE (2013); KIA Optima is the car of the year in the USA in 2012.
17. In 2006, the German designer Peter Schreyer, who used to work on the design of Audi and Volkswagen cars, became the chief designer of KIA Motors. Schreyer is responsible for one of the most distinctive design elements of all new KIA models, the so-called “Tiger Nose” radiator grille. The German designer became one of the key figures of the South Korean company. Since 2012, Peter has been one of the three directors of Kia, and in 2013, he became the director of the design department of the entire Hyundai Motor Group.
18. The KIA Quoris, also known as KIA K900 or K9, is the South Korean manufacturer’s new flagship saloon. The name Quoris derives from the English words “core” and “quality”. In addition, the name Quoris is akin to a word “chorus”.
19. The fourth-generation KIA Sportage sports distinctive visual style was developed by the KIA European design studio in Frankfurt with the participation of experts from Korean and American design studios.
20. KIA Soul was introduced at the 2008 Paris Motor Show. It is an extremely successful subcompact crossover, which has no direct competitors. Not long after its debut in North America, KIA Soul gained a reputation of the best vehicle among compact crossovers. One of the key factors of KIA Soul’s commercial success, apart from brilliant engineering, was a creative advertising campaign. Titled “A new way to roll”, the 1:00 min video features city streets with animated hamsters on stationary hamster wheels. This commercial became extremely popular on different video-sharing sites like YouTube and was awarded “Automotive Ad of the Year”. Go find it on the Internet; KIA Soul and a team of hamsters will cheer you up!
|Re: 20 Amazing Facts About Kia Cars You May Not Know by AutoReportNG: 1:53pm On Jan 17, 2018|
One thing I have learned from KIA is that they have been tutored, merged and learn from people who are established before they set up.
I look forward to that day when we will write about Nigeria indigenous auto firms
20 Likes 2 Shares
|Re: 20 Amazing Facts About Kia Cars You May Not Know by BrightDeGea(m): 2:24pm On Jan 17, 2018|
|Re: 20 Amazing Facts About Kia Cars You May Not Know by Nobody: 2:34pm On Jan 18, 2018|
Like you saw my tweet today on Hyundai.. A friend drove me to work in his 2016 Hyundai Sonata.. I swear it was a crazy ass ride. The Koreans have caught up with the Japanese in the auto market, they can now compete with the likes of Toyota and Honda.. Though Nigerians are rigidly in love with Toyota
|Re: 20 Amazing Facts About Kia Cars You May Not Know by AutoReportNG: 4:46pm On Jan 18, 2018|
The way they have innovated is just amazing... I believe with good PR and pocket friendly cars, they can surpass Toyota
1 Like 1 Share
|Re: 20 Amazing Facts About Kia Cars You May Not Know by dejavubobo1(m): 7:03am On Jan 19, 2018|
ki means come out.... just two letters mean so much. so k is come & I is out. Nice
|Re: 20 Amazing Facts About Kia Cars You May Not Know by Nobody: 7:03am On Jan 19, 2018|
Car has no second hand value
|Re: 20 Amazing Facts About Kia Cars You May Not Know by Richardabbey(m): 7:07am On Jan 19, 2018|
|Re: 20 Amazing Facts About Kia Cars You May Not Know by hisgrace090: 7:11am On Jan 19, 2018|
Their Hyundai is way better than kia.
|Re: 20 Amazing Facts About Kia Cars You May Not Know by jojomario(m): 7:15am On Jan 19, 2018|
For Nigeria roads and owners maintenance culture ,Toyota still the best.
|Re: 20 Amazing Facts About Kia Cars You May Not Know by olenyi(m): 7:19am On Jan 19, 2018|
|Re: 20 Amazing Facts About Kia Cars You May Not Know by bewla(m): 7:19am On Jan 19, 2018|
jump am pass
|Re: 20 Amazing Facts About Kia Cars You May Not Know by Lexusgs430: 7:22am On Jan 19, 2018|
KIA, are actually now selling very good look vehicles.... 7 years warranty too....... Not a bad deal....
|Re: 20 Amazing Facts About Kia Cars You May Not Know by Nobody: 7:28am On Jan 19, 2018|
Yeah very true!!!
|Re: 20 Amazing Facts About Kia Cars You May Not Know by olatade(m): 7:30am On Jan 19, 2018|
KIA- the car that cares
|Re: 20 Amazing Facts About Kia Cars You May Not Know by markbenny(m): 7:32am On Jan 19, 2018|
they can never pass Toyota
quote me any day
|Re: 20 Amazing Facts About Kia Cars You May Not Know by Nobody: 7:33am On Jan 19, 2018|
dejavubobo1:On the other hand IK means Outcome
9 Likes 1 Share
|Re: 20 Amazing Facts About Kia Cars You May Not Know by theo1477(m): 7:34am On Jan 19, 2018|
It a good write up. But people still need to know it durability,warrantee, parts availability and so on
|Re: 20 Amazing Facts About Kia Cars You May Not Know by kenben: 7:38am On Jan 19, 2018|
Can someone please tell me what's amazing about these facts? Car wey no get parts, na car be that?
|Re: 20 Amazing Facts About Kia Cars You May Not Know by Nobody: 7:50am On Jan 19, 2018|
kenben:There are parts but it is still expensive cuz very few people are into its importation..
Like I said earlier Nigerians are rigidly in love with Toyota, Nigerian Mechanics will scare you from buying other products just because they refused to evolve frm the past mentality.
Break boundaries try other products like Hyundai, Mistubushi, Mazda, Volvo, Ford, Land Rover products et al
|Re: 20 Amazing Facts About Kia Cars You May Not Know by Bsideboi(m): 7:58am On Jan 19, 2018|
AutoReportNG:They have surpassed Toyota in the sale of new cars in Nigeria.Corporate bodies are opting for Hyundais and kias as they are equally reliable and pocket friendly.
|Re: 20 Amazing Facts About Kia Cars You May Not Know by 3millionia: 8:02am On Jan 19, 2018|
|Re: 20 Amazing Facts About Kia Cars You May Not Know by Afrikprice: 8:04am On Jan 19, 2018|
The good thing about them is that they are always staying connected with advanced technology and infotainment features allows the driver to dedicate their important attention to the road ahead.
They released a new car of recent, KIA really doesn't want to be left behind this 2018.
|Re: 20 Amazing Facts About Kia Cars You May Not Know by jsaak: 8:04am On Jan 19, 2018|
A lot of people did not know that a KIA and Hyundai Cars are actually made side by side in their Ulsan, Korea yard. with the same engine but different body!!
|Re: 20 Amazing Facts About Kia Cars You May Not Know by Zoharariel(m): 8:05am On Jan 19, 2018|
I can never ever buy any Kia products with my money. Even if it given to me as gifts, I will immediately put it on sale.
Do not blame me, I am accustomed to driving German machines.
|Re: 20 Amazing Facts About Kia Cars You May Not Know by soberdrunk(m): 8:20am On Jan 19, 2018|
Kia that made 2009 car with "No airbags"!!! Everytime I see trailer my Blood pressure dey rise
|Re: 20 Amazing Facts About Kia Cars You May Not Know by yanshDoctor: 8:25am On Jan 19, 2018|
durable but just plans to dump them after 3 years. and very expensive to mention.
|Re: 20 Amazing Facts About Kia Cars You May Not Know by Untainted007: 8:27am On Jan 19, 2018|
I av been using Hyundai Elantra 2013 model for over four years now. I can boldly say, I av never regretted ever buying it. Every vehicle have their factory errors. The only little issue I had was sound from the steering (EPS) and the flex controlling the horn and the other functions on the steering but it has long been fixed. Fuel economy is superb, gear transmission & speed is excellent. Every vehicle needs proper maintenance even if you go for Toyota and u dnt maintain it well, u won't enjoy it.
|Re: 20 Amazing Facts About Kia Cars You May Not Know by roqrules04(m): 8:33am On Jan 19, 2018|
These cars don't have second hand value abeg unlike Toyotas
|Re: 20 Amazing Facts About Kia Cars You May Not Know by Timetravels: 8:59am On Jan 19, 2018|
According to KIA Motors, the name “Kia” derives from the Sino-Korean characters ki (起, “to come out”) and a (亞, which stands for East, Asia or both). Therefore, the name “Kia” is can be translated from Korean as “one, that came out of the east..
|Re: 20 Amazing Facts About Kia Cars You May Not Know by IFNOTGOD(m): 9:10am On Jan 19, 2018|
I love d sleekness of Benz, but my love for Toyota sienna no get part two, who get 2011 to sell at cheap rate call me
|Re: 20 Amazing Facts About Kia Cars You May Not Know by Eastatlantaniqqa(m): 9:35am On Jan 19, 2018|
|Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health |
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket
Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2021 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115