Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,510 members, 7,816,236 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:07 AM

Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca (11695 Views)

Wike’s Impeachment In The Offing So Soon?- By Kennedy Friday / Gej Lied About Being Loyal To His Wife - What Other Lies Are In The Offing / Buhari/Tinubu Ticket In The Offing? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by Katsumoto: 5:07pm On Apr 18, 2010
tensor777:

Well that is your own opinion. I am not a Westerner but I can boldly say that most Yorubas at the time were nationalists and were fully in support of the efforts of the Gowonian regime to preserve the federation.
More specifically there was a delegation from the Western region that went to Enugu to warn Ojukwu against any attempt at secession.

The delegation was led by Awo and it wasn't to warn Ojukwu against secession, the delegation simply went to mediate. Awo adviced Ojuwu against actions that may throw the Eastern region into war. It was never a warning.
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by Nobody: 5:14pm On Apr 18, 2010
Katsumoto:

, Murtala and Martins Adamu would have probably organised another coup to get rid of Ogundipe. Afterall, they eventually got rid of Gowon. The problem with the army, then and now, is tribalism. In a mono-ethnic Army, Ogundipe would and should have taken over as the most senior officer.
Yes it is true that Murtala Mohammed proved to be a thorn in Gowon's flesh throughout his regime. Not only for his bloodthirsty actions in Asaba and his amazing military incompetence during 2 Division offensives against Onitsha but also for his general insubordination to constituted authority.
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by sjeezy8: 5:19pm On Apr 18, 2010
Afam:

A few reminders

6. Igbos are republicans and they usually do not listen to any particular political leader for any reason whatsoever. But in Ojukwu for once in its history the Igbos have come to respect, cherish and applaud this man for his principled stand in defense of his people even when he risked all his father had considering the fact that his father was the first millionaire in the region and any war would affect his wealth more than any other person but he saw the need to protect and defend his people as more important task when compared to defending his wealth as a lot of our politicians do today.

7. For those that brag about producing the presidents and vice presidents since after the war my questions are

a) Why is that the South East has the lowest poverty index in Nigeria?
b) Why is it that the South East (according to JAMB statistics) leads other regions in enrollment into our higher institutions in spite of the typical "Igbos are traders" mantra?

shocked shocked shocked I dont anyone who brags about having a president from their region its only SE'rs who are crying to be president or VP. When Obasanjo became president he didnt do anything for yorubas- IT GOT WORSE and when Buhari was president he didnt do anything for fulanis-hausa same wit yaradua and co.

Infact when a president or vice president emerges from ones region- its as if they are worse off then before.

I am a nationalist
I think its better to vote a SE'r for president or vice on the PDP platform so corruption and elitism can make its way into the East No more Biafra, no more Apga and no more complaints of marginalization.- All regions can be corrupt together and no one can complain about any tribalism.
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by Katsumoto: 5:27pm On Apr 18, 2010
sjeezy8:

shocked shocked shocked I dont anyone who brags about having a president from their region its only SE'rs who are crying to be president or VP. When Obasanjo became president he didnt do anything for yorubas- IT GOT WORSE and when Buhari was president he didnt do anything for fulanis-hausa same wit yaradua and co.

Infact when a president or vice president emerges from ones region- its as if they are worse off then before.

I am a nationalist
I think its better to vote a SE'r for president or vice on the PDP platform so corruption and elitism can make its way into the East No more Biafra, no more Apga and no more complaints of marginalization.- All regions can be corrupt together and no one can complain about any tribalism.

Wouldn't it be better to just have a visionary leader rather than just an incompetent looter? That way, a majority of Nigerians can have a better life. That things have been bad in the last 50 fifty years should not stop us from working for a better tomorrow. You need to get rid of this 'jeun soke' mentality. There is more to life than being the son of a man who is a friend to a looter. Karma is a b.i.t.c.h woman and she always strikes.
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by cap28: 5:55pm On Apr 18, 2010
Katsumoto:

Wouldn't it be better to just have a visionary leader rather than just an incompetent looter? That way, a majority of Nigerians can have a better life. That things have been bad in the last 50 fifty years should not stop us from working for a better tomorrow. You need to get rid of this 'jeun soke' mentality. There is more to life than being the son of a man who is a friend to a looter. Karma is a naughty woman and it always strikes.

brilliant response to sjeezy8 and his morally bankrupt brigade
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by Afam(m): 6:12pm On Apr 18, 2010
tensor777:

I have to say your position on this is arrant nonsense. Ojukwu was the military governor of the Eastern Region and he has to take ultimate responsibility for all the strategic decisions taken by the government in the period leading up to, and including the declaration of the state of Biafra.
Trying to push the matter to the Eastern House of assembly is disengenuous moreso as he tabled the bill for secession before them. to be rubber stamped. Who are these assembly menbers by the way?

As for the issue of the Biafra not starting the  war that again is utter nonsense. Ojukwu started it by declaring the secession. Why is this? Well it is the constitutional duty of all commissioned officers of the Nigerian Armed Forces to protect the territorial integrity of Nigeria. Thus as night follows day Ojukwu as a former officer should have expected his declaration to be followed by the immediate application of military force in order to preserve Nigeria's sovereignity and territorial integrity. It is that simple.

There is a saying that goes thus: when issues come to logic some people begin to see ghosts.

Facts were produced and all you write while hiding under a screen name on a public forum is arrant nonsense or utter nonsense just because the facts make nonsense of your position.

I guess there is no point in explaining anything to you as this forum cannot be a substitute for a history course.

Enjoy the rest of the week.
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by sjeezy8: 6:15pm On Apr 18, 2010
Katsumoto:

Wouldn't it be better to just have a visionary leader rather than just an incompetent looter? That way, a majority of Nigerians can have a better life. That things have been bad in the last 50 fifty years should not stop us from working for a better tomorrow. You need to get rid of this 'jeun soke' mentality. There is more to life than being the son of a man who is a friend to a looter. Karma is a naughty woman and it always strikes.

Visionary leader? as of right thats not what Nigerians want, they want a guy from their region. So lets give it to them. grin

Whats the big deal? Ojuwku and biafra guys can support IBB but i cant? Why not?

Onlytruth:

Like I keep saying over and over again, the Igbo are NOT interested in whether SATAN himself is the president of Nigeria. There is no gentleman inside the jungle.
You have to count one before counting two. cool

Onlytruth:

As long as that SATAN delivers on his promise to us, we will support him. Nigeria is worse than hell.
If IBB allows us to chose our leaders (something Obasanjo denied us) we will vote for him.

@ Katsumoto
Lets just give IBB support he seems like the visionary leader you talk about- but to bad his vision doesnt help the current political climate in naija- IBB wants free and fair elections, federalism, no zoning or quotas- he sounds good.

He wants what everyone wants
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by Dede1(m): 7:59pm On Apr 18, 2010
I always welcome the idea of locking horns with Katsumoto and tensor777 with Afam,Onlytruth and Eziachi on my team or side.

@Katsumoto

Please Katsumoto can you tell me the reasons why101 BEF either commanded by Majors Chukwuka, Amadi, Onwuatuegwu, Igboba, Nwajei, Okwechime, Nzogwu or Nwawo would have stopped at Ore? I can argue unequivocally that If Lagos had been overrun by 101 BEF there were many Yoruba groups that would have swelled the presence of 101 BEF in Lagos and the rest of western region.

I shall remind you the before the debacle at Ore, four high-ranking officers of Yoruba extraction had already gone to Gowon demanding that he, Gowon, remove all northern region soldiers of Nigerian army from western region. In addition, Ijebu Ode people had shown every intention to send Gowon and northern region soldiers of Nigerian army packing from Lagos and environs. All these groups simply needed was backing from a force such as 101 BEF.

The capture of Lagos would have negated the factor of having effective and strong Naval force because all the four functional seaports in Nigeria would have been under the control of Biafrans. Nobody can engage in negotiation from the position of weakness. I had to reiterate the fact that element of surprise trumps every strategy during military escalation.

@tensor777

It is rather unfortunate that you have assumed that Ojukwu stated Nigeria-Biafra civil war due to the declaration of Biafra as an independent sovereign state. You have alluded in one of your posts that Nigeria in 1966 was fraught with coups which were unsuccessful at best.The Gowon led coup was completely unsuccessful because the leader of the coup did have complete control of the army in all the regions and was not recognized as either legitimate commander of the Nigerian armed forces or Head of State.

It was clear that at this juncture, Gowon has no legal or military authority to divide Nigeria into 12 states without fully consultation with all the regional governors and, in doing so violated the constitutional authority of eastern region of Nigeria. The creation of 12 states erased the eastern region from the contiguous tarrain of federal republic of Nigeria. In order to remain relevant, the eastern region declared her independence to compliment the actions of Gowon. I think you can agree with me that declaration of independent does not construe declaration of war.
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by Katsumoto: 8:24pm On Apr 18, 2010
Dede1:

I always welcome the idea of locking horns with Katsumoto and tensor777 with Afam,Onlytruth and Eziachi on my team or side.

@Katsumoto

Please Katsumoto can you tell me the reasons why101 BEF either commanded by Majors Chukwuka, Amadi, Onwuatuegwu, Igboba, Nwajei, Okwechime, Nzogwu or Nwawo would have stopped at Ore? I can argue unequivocally that If Lagos had been overrun by 101 BEF there were many Yoruba groups that would have swelled the presence of 101 BEF in Lagos and the rest of western region.

I shall remind you  the before the debacle at Ore, four high-ranking officers of Yoruba extraction had already gone to Gowon demanding that he, Gowon, remove all northern region soldiers of Nigerian army from western region. In addition, Ijebu Ode people had shown every intention to send Gowon and northern region soldiers of Nigerian army packing from Lagos and environs. All these groups simply needed was backing from a force such as 101 BEF.

The capture of Lagos would have negated the factor of having effective and strong Naval force because all the four functional seaports in Nigeria would have been under the control of Biafrans. Nobody can engage in negotiation from the position of weakness. I had to reiterate the fact that element of surprise trumps every strategy during military escalation.

@tensor777

It is rather unfortunate that you have assumed that Ojukwu stated Nigeria-Biafra civil war due to the declaration of Biafra as an independent sovereign state. You have alluded in one of your posts that Nigeria in 1966 was fraught with coups which were unsuccessful at best.The Gowon led coup was completely unsuccessful because the leader of the coup did have complete control of the army in all the regions and was not recognized as either legitimate commander of the Nigerian armed forces or Head of State.

It was clear that at this juncture, Gowon has no legal or military authority to divide Nigeria into 12 states without fully consultation with all the regional governors and, in doing so violated the constitutional authority of eastern region of Nigeria. The creation of 12 states erased the eastern region from the contiguous tarrain of federal republic of Nigeria. In order to remain relevant, the eastern region declared her independence to compliment the actions of Gowon. I think you can agree with me that declaration of independent does not construe declaration of war.

Dede1
Can you name the wars that were won with the element of surprise? At the moment, I can only think of the Russo-Japanese war in 1904 in which the smaller Japanese Navy defeated the Russians. But it was not because of the element of surprise, it was because the Japanese were better prepared than the Russians who felt superior after the first Russo-Japanese War in 1894-1898. Battles are won with the element of surprise but not wars. Let me list a few wars in which the first side launched a surprise attack but still lost.

1. Japanese attack on pearl harbour
2. Operation Barbarossa - Germany attacking the soviets despite signing a war pact
3. The six day war in 1967 - Egypt, Jordan, and Syria launched simultaneous attacks on Isreal but still lost
4. The Yom Kippur war in 1973 - Egypt and Syria launched coordinated attacks on Isreal but still lost even though all of Isreal's Soldiers were on holiday celebrating Yom Kippur
5. Schlieffen Plan - Germany relied on this to completely annhilate France before engaging the Soviets in the First world war.

With a surprise attack, you MUST completely destroy your BIGGER opponent otherwise you had better be prepared for a long campaign.
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by Nobody: 8:29pm On Apr 18, 2010
Dede1:

@tensor777

Let us deal with the various points you have so coherently and logically made.
Firstly I am not aware that Gowon led any coup or mutiny in Nigeria in July 1966. Even Ojukwu himself concedes that very point.
I am aware that Majors Murtala Muhammed and Abba Kyari planned a coup against the Ironsi regime in that period.
But Murtala, as he was to subsequently demonstrate in the civil war is a very poor planner. The consequence of this is that the coup was preempted and hijacked by general mutiny of the rank and file of northern extraction against their Eastern officers and fellow NCOS. This as we know led to shocking scenes of murder and mayhem by the rank and file culminating in the kidnapping and murder of the Head of State and the Governor of the Western region.
It was in this context of loss of control that Gowon was selected as Head of State by officers on the ground in Lagos. Gradually he was able to gain some semblance of control over the mutinuous troops. But this appointment was not accepted by Ojukwu who was based in Enugu.
So we can say that his attempt to extend his authority over the Eastern Region led to the clash of wills with Ojukwu.

Ojukwu can indeed be said to have started the war off by annexing the federal territory of the continental shelf and territorial waters. This made the actual outbreak of hostilities a complete certainty as the armed forces of Nigeria have the constitutional duty to defend the nation's territorial integrity.
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by Nobody: 8:50pm On Apr 18, 2010
Dede1:

@Katsumoto

I shall remind you the before the debacle at Ore, four high-ranking officers of Yoruba extraction had already gone to Gowon demanding that he, Gowon, remove all northern region soldiers of Nigerian army from western region. In addition, Ijebu Ode people had shown every intention to send Gowon and northern region soldiers of Nigerian army packing from Lagos and environs. All these groups simply needed was backing from a force such as 101 BEF.

The Biafran Expeditionary Force led by Victor Banjo certainly lacked the offensive firepower to be able to take any well fortified town in the Western Region. We are talking here about artillery pieces, main battle tanks and armoured personnel carriers, not to mention around 4 divisions of experienced infantry men.

I am not aware they even had a corps of engineers who would be able build  structures that would be able to overcome the many river obstacles in the region.

Finally, where were the special police units who would be expected to hunt down stragglers and by-passed enemy troops and keep order in the occupied regions. Don't forget that Whenever Hitler's Wehrmacht attacked the SS followed behind. Same holds for the Red Army and the NKVD.

Realistically Ojukwu's main hope in capturing Gowon lay in some sort of surprise attack on Dodan Barracks using paratroopers and attack helicopters. But he did not have these resources at the start of the war.
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by Katsumoto: 9:00pm On Apr 18, 2010
tensor777:

The Biafran Expeditionary Force led by Victor Banjo certainly lacked the offensive firepower to be able to take any well fortified town in the Western Region. We are talking here about artillery pieces, main battle tanks and armoured personnel carriers, not to mention around 4 divisions of experienced infantry men.

I am not aware they even had a corps of engineers who would be able build  structures that would be able to overcome the many river obstacles in the region.

Finally, where were the special police units who would be expected to hunt down stragglers and by-passed enemy troops and keep order in the occupied regions. Don't forget that Whenever Hitler's Wehrmacht attacked the SS followed behind. Same holds for the Red Army and the NKVD.

Realistically Ojukwu's main hope in capturing Gowon lay in some sort of surprise attack on Dodan Barracks using paratroopers and attack helicopters. But he did not have these resources at the start of the war.

I have explained this to Dede1 before but he didn't accept this position.
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by Onlytruth(m): 1:56am On Apr 19, 2010
tensor777:

Well that is your own opinion. I am not a Westerner but I can boldly say that most Yorubas at the time were nationalists and were fully in support of the efforts of the Gowonian regime to preserve the federation.
More specifically there was a delegation from the Western region that went to Enugu to warn Ojukwu against any attempt at secession.

Normally, in this type of discourse, one's sectional origin should not matter. However, we are talking about an event triggered by the massive genocide organised against easterners in certain part of Nigeria. The war itself was a culmination of that ; all sections should own up to their roles in the conflict.
It is in the context of the above that I request that you state which section of Nigeria you are from. If you cannot honestly state where you are from, then you have no moral rights to apportion blames to Ojukwu in any way.

I know many easterners who are not happy with Ojukwu's shortcoming during the war. Those of them who are fairly unhappy because of that always show them in fair terms and context, not through diatribes. Those whose families played "sabo" during the war do their own criticism in different ways (diatribes) which betray their unclean hands and past.

Any right thinking easterner who has carefully studied all the events between July 1966 to July 1967, and whose family or tribe never sabotaged fair Biafran efforts during the war, would always see Ojukwu as a true hero and leader.

The guy was only 33 when he led that war.

For the millionth time, Ojukwu never launched war against Nigeria. Gowon (Nigeria) launched war against Biafra (Eastern Nigeria). Ojukwu only fought back.
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by Dede1(m): 3:01am On Apr 19, 2010
@Katsumoto

You have a very good argument if the fine analogy has the same flavor as it existed in Nigeria. Does it occur to you that in the examples you numerated, the principals were already existing sovereign countries? Gowon, Nigeria and Britain had the same plan against Biafra as the capture of Calabar, Warri, Escravos and Bonny established the supremacy of the Federal Government in Nigerian waters and international waters bordering Nigerian coast. There were no shots fired in those operations except the naval bombardment of Calabar coast lines by NNS Lokoja under Commander Nelsen Soroh.

In 1967 war, for example, Israel had solid intelligent report about imminent coordinated attack by the Arab countries and launched quick surprise pre-emptive airborne counter-attack that wiped out the air forces and air-defense mechanisms including radar and command positions of the Egypt, Jordan and Syria.

If Germany did not take more than it could chew, the surprise attacks (blitzkrieg) with swift formation of motorized forces that caught many European countries in shock and awe had no stopping solution. The Operation Barbarossa, like you have alleged, was not a surprise attack but strategic blunder instigated by Hitler’s personal ego. In the battle of midway, the Americans recorded victory after victory against Japan due to diversionary attacks fuelled by elements of surprises. The same element of surprise got Germans and Panzer divisions wandering what rally hit them at the battle of the bulge.

@tensor777

As of May 6, 1967, Nigeria’s stock of weapons was loaded with tools from WW2 era and mainly dotted with carbines and Enfield MK4s. There were no battle tanks except few RECON (reconnaissance) patrol vehicles. Gen. Jerry Usani (rtd) in a recent interview alluded to the fact that both Nigeria and Biafra had absolutely nothing in terms of type of weapons needed to persecute a fighting war as against the intended police action every ear was told.     

Let me remind you that Lagos or any other city in Nigeria could not boost as military fort. Before the Ore debacle, Lagos was already infiltrated by operatives waiting for the arrival of 101 BEF.

Gowon was part and parcel of the July 29, 1966 coup in Nigeria. However, M15 operatives in Nigeria, western and northern regions of Nigerian publications of 1967 wanted everybody to believe that Murtula and Martin were the leaders of the coup.
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by Katsumoto: 10:46am On Apr 19, 2010
Dede1:

@Katsumoto

You have a very good argument if the fine analogy has the same flavor as it existed in Nigeria. Does it occur to you that in the examples you numerated, the principals were already existing sovereign countries? Gowon, Nigeria and Britain had the same plan against Biafra as the capture of Calabar, Warri, Escravos and Bonny established the supremacy of the Federal Government in Nigerian waters and international waters bordering Nigerian coast. There were no shots fired in those operations except the naval bombardment of Calabar coast lines by NNS Lokoja under Commander Nelsen Soroh.

In 1967 war, for example, Israel had solid intelligent report about imminent coordinated attack by the Arab countries and launched quick surprise pre-emptive airborne counter-attack that wiped out the air forces and air-defense mechanisms including radar and command positions of the Egypt, Jordan and Syria.

If Germany did not take more than it could chew, the surprise attacks (blitzkrieg) with swift formation of motorized forces that caught many European countries in shock and awe had no stopping solution. The Operation Barbarossa, like you have alleged, was not a surprise attack but strategic blunder instigated by Hitler’s personal ego. In the battle of midway, the Americans recorded victory after victory against Japan due to diversionary attacks fuelled by elements of surprises. The same element of surprise got Germans and Panzer divisions wandering what rally hit them at the battle of the bulge.

@tensor777

Gowon was part and parcel of the July 29, 1966 coup in Nigeria. However, M15 operatives in Nigeria, western and northern regions of Nigerian publications of 1967 wanted everybody to believe that Murtula and Martin were the leaders of the coup.

Dede1
I am afraid you have not adequately answered the question I posed to you. No two conflicts are the same; wars are fought with one side having an overwhelming superiority and still losing but in most cases, the side with overwhelming superiority wins. Yes Isreal had intelligence reports in 1967 but the fact is that, the arabs planned a surprise attack. In the 1973 war, Isreal got wind of planned attacks but chose to ignore them. Hussein (King of Jordan) flew to Tel aviv to warn the Isrealis but the intelligence was ignored. The arabs launched the surprise attack and still lost. Prime Minister Golda Meir lost her job for that blunder.

You got your history wrong on the battle of the bulge. It was the Germans who launched a surprise attack on the allies and still lost that battle (I emphasise again, that surprise attacks can win you battles but not wars).
'The Battle of the Bulge, fought over the winter months of 1944 – 1945, was the last major Nazi offensive against the Allies in World War Two. The battle was a last ditch attempt by Hitler to split the Allies in two in their drive towards Germany and destroy their ability to supply themselves, However, the success of the Germans lasted just two days. Despite punching a bulge into the Allies front line, the Germans could not capitalise on this. The Germans had based their attack on a massive armoured onslaught. However, such an attack required fuel to maintain it and the Germans simply did not possess such quantities of fuel.

http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/battle_of_the_bulge.htm

Operation Barbarossa was a surprise attack on the soviets, that it turned out to be Hitler's waterloo is another matter. Are you aware that without Soviet exports of Oil, rubber, etc, the Germans would not have had the resources to venture into such a campaign. Would the Soviets have carried on supply the Germans with resources if they knew that Hitler was going to attack them? Read below

'The attack came as a complete surprise to the leader of the Soviet Union, Joseph Stalin. Despite repeated intelligence warnings, which included the precise day and hour of Germany's incipient assault, Stalin remained convinced that Hitler would not risk an eastern war as long as the British Empire remained undefeated. It has been argued that Stalin in fact planned a pre-emptive attack on Germany for the early summer of 1941, and was then thrown off-balance by the German invasion.'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/worldwars/wwtwo/soviet_german_war_01.shtml

The Americans won the BATTLE (not the war) of the midway due to diversionary tactics but the war was not won because of success in the war. Japan surrendered after the two atomic bombs were dropped on its soil.

I think I have proved my point. I await your response to my question, 'NAME MORE THAN ONE WAR IN WHICH THE THE SIDE THAT LAUNCHED AND RELIED ON A SURPRISE ATTACK WENT ON TO WIN THE WAR?'
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by Katsumoto: 10:50am On Apr 19, 2010
Onlytruth:

Normally, in this type of discourse, one's sectional origin should not matter. However, we are talking about an event triggered by the massive genocide organised against easterners in certain part of Nigeria. The war itself was a culmination of that ; all sections should own up to their roles in the conflict.
It is in the context of the above that I request that you state which section of Nigeria you are from. If you cannot honestly state where you are from, then you have no moral rights to apportion blames to Ojukwu in any way.

It does not matter where he comes from. One's state of origin is not required for one's ability to analyse historical events. The only reason you want to know his state of origin is to be able to pigeon hole him and make general statements about his people. That is your typical style.
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by Afam(m): 12:14pm On Apr 19, 2010
Katsumoto:

It does not matter where he comes from. One's state of origin is not required for one's ability to analyse historical events. The only reason you want to know his state of origin is to be able to pigeon hole him and make general statements about his people. That is your typical style.

I disagree with this because from what has been happening it seems certain people from certain parts of Nigeria tend to agree with certain things while people from other parts tend to disagree even on the same issues - the reason being that those issues affect the people differently and as such would be interpreted differently.

I am an Igbo man from Enugu state and I believe that is why I may see Ojukwu as a hero based on what he did shortly before and during the war whereas Katsumoto who is not an Igbo man would always disagree with what Ojukwu did or even tend to insult the Igbos based on certain reasons.

What's the difference here? Ethnic group, as simple as that unless we want to play to the gallery.

So, someone who is so strongly opposed to an issue that has every semblance of ethnic undertone as regards the Igbos or Biafra as a whole should be able to tell us where he comes from. Or, do you expect the son of Murtala or Gowon to come here and agree that Ojukwu is a hero? Is that possible?
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by Katsumoto: 12:33pm On Apr 19, 2010
Afam:

I disagree with this because from what has been happening it seems certain people from certain parts of Nigeria tend to agree with certain things while people from other parts tend to disagree even on the same issues - the reason being that those issues affect the people differently and as such would be interpreted differently.

I am an Igbo man from Enugu state and I believe that is why I may see Ojukwu as a hero based on what he did shortly before and during the war whereas Katsumoto who is not an Igbo man would always disagree with what Ojukwu did or even tend to insult the Igbos based on certain reasons.

What's the difference here? Ethnic group, as simple as that unless we want to play to the gallery.

So, someone who is so strongly opposed to an issue that has every semblance of ethnic undertone as regards the Igbos or Biafra as a whole should be able to tell us where he comes from. Or, do you expect the son of Murtala or Gowon to come here and agree that Ojukwu is a hero? Is that possible?

Ok, I agree with most of the above but do you think it is in the best interest of intelligent and dispassionate to attack a poster's tribe because of the views of that poster? For instance, a certain poster may post opinions or information which may be insensitive to Igbo/Biafrans; should Igbo/Biafran people resort to insulting other tribes? I know we have our differences and I know that you do not do this but OnlyTruth is fond of making incendiary remarks which distracts from the main discussion. I am not averse topeople who feel slighted going after someone who makes imbecilic or insensitive but it should be on an individual level rather than insulting a group of people. If you agree with this, then I see nothing wrong in people identifying with a state or ethnic origin.
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by Afam(m): 12:47pm On Apr 19, 2010
Katsumoto:

Ok, I agree with most of the above but do you think it is in the best interest of intelligent and dispassionate to attack a poster's tribe because of the views of that poster? For instance, a certain poster may post opinions or information which may be insensitive to Igbo/Biafrans; should Igbo/Biafran people resort to insulting other tribes? I know we have our differences and I know that you do not do this but OnlyTruth is fond of making incendiary remarks which distracts from the main discussion. I am not averse topeople who feel slighted going after someone who makes imbecilic or insensitive but it should be on an individual level rather than insulting a group of people. If you agree with this, then I see nothing wrong in people identifying with a state or ethnic origin.

I am sure you know my position on insults. I have never and will never insult any tribe for any reason because it is impossible for a whole tribe to be guilty of any one thing.

I believe insults should be at a personal level that is if we cannot do without it anyway.

I am not in support of anyone insulting a people. However, one fact remains - on issues concerning Igbos or Biafra or even Ojukwu those who resort to insults especially targeted at ethnic groups are those that disagree with the Igbos and many of them rain abuses and wonder why for example Ojukwu is being seen as a hero when his people should see him as a coward.

Put differently, supporting a course or praising someone should not be a reason to insult an ethnic group and if we must stick to the facts you will agree with me that most times the Igbos are at the receiving end of the insults by some people who feel that they are supporting the wrong person.

Prevention they say is better than cure so it is best insults are prevented than trying to manage the fallout of such insults.
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by Katsumoto: 1:08pm On Apr 19, 2010
Afam:

I am sure you know my position on insults. I have never and will never insult any tribe for any reason because it is impossible for a whole tribe to be guilty of any one thing.

I believe insults should be at a personal level that is if we cannot do without it anyway.

I am not in support of anyone insulting a people. However, one fact remains - on issues concerning Igbos or Biafra or even Ojukwu those who resort to insults especially targeted at ethnic groups are those that disagree with the Igbos and many of them rain abuses and wonder why for example Ojukwu is being seen as a hero when his people should see him as a coward.

Put differently, supporting a course or praising someone should not be a reason to insult an ethnic group and if we must stick to the facts you will agree with me that most times the Igbos are at the receiving end of the insults by some people who feel that they are supporting the wrong person.

Prevention they say is better than cure so it is best insults are prevented than trying to manage the fallout of such insults.

Agreed
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by Katsumoto: 1:56pm On Apr 19, 2010
Dede1:

@tensor777

I have read a lot of literature and all remove Gowon from complicity. Having said that, lets look at all the facts

Facts implicating Gowon
1. Gowon jumped on the idea of confederation when it was mentioned
2. One platoons sent by Ogundipe and Gowon was ambushed (may have been coincidence)
3. Gowon could have insisted like Ojukwu, Adebayo, Wey, and Mobolaji Johnson that Ogundipe was most senior officer and should take over (Unlikely they would have listened to him with all Northern civilians and military agreeing not to hand over power to a southerner.

Facts exonorating Gowon
1. Gowon was arrested as soon as he got to Ikeja Cantonment
2. Murtala conceded seniority to Gowon after initially being the voice of the plotters and asked Gowon to negotiate with the civilians, Americans, and British
3. Gowon was with Ogundipe while they planned to crush the coup
4. Murtala was a thorn in Gowon's side for the nine years he was head of state
5. All present at Ikeja during the weekend of 29-30 July chose Gowon as a concensus candidate since he was a christian and from middle belt as opposed to Murtala who was a Hausa muslim
6. Murtala threatened Gowon that he would take over Biafra as Gowon he alleged that Gowon was being too soft on Ojukwu
7. Gowon called Shuwa (Commanding 5th Battalion at Kano) to inform him of the coup but spoke to Major Oluleye who promptly locked up the armoury and held on to the key. This prevented blood-shed at Kano

My opinion - Gowon was not involved on the basis that 1)he was with Ogundipe when they were planning to crush the coup, 2)his very relationship with Murtala 3) Gowon was a pacifist and it is unlikely he would have planned a coup with bloodthirsty men such as Murtala, Martins Adamu, and Danjuma 4) He took over to prevent further bloodshed and to diffuse the situation. 5) Phone calls he made to alert people of the coup.
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by Onlytruth(m): 5:56am On Apr 20, 2010
Katsumoto:

Well I didn't expect him to come back or be honest with his reply because, most of those abusing Ojukwu here are either those who fought against Biafra or those whose family sold out (sabo). These two groups can never be fair in their assessment of Ojukwu as a leader. I have never met an Igbo person, for instance, whose family was clean during the war who abuses Ojukwu; they simply don't exist. They may gently reserve their feelings, but never throw diatribes at Ojukwu. The reason for that is simple: every Igbo felt they were about to be annihilated between 1966 and 1967. Ojukwu stood in the gap and fought for them. The only ones feeling safe during that period were those safely removed from the war somehow. Anyone who lived inside Biafra up to 1970 would not abuse Ojukwu in a public forum.
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by Nobody: 9:08pm On Apr 21, 2010
^^What you need to do is to read up the memoirs of those that served in the Biafran Government during the war.
We are talking about men like Njoku, Effiong, Akpan, Uwechue, Amadi, Okeke, Mbanefo and Eni-Njoku.
Right now, you have an unduly romanticized version of the causes and conduct of the civil war.
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by Emmacarnegie(m): 2:46pm On Apr 22, 2010
our eternal hero we love u.
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by Katsumoto: 8:40pm On Apr 22, 2010
Dede1:

@Katsumoto

@tensor777

As of May 6, 1967, Nigeria’s stock of weapons was loaded with tools from WW2 era and mainly dotted with carbines and Enfield MK4s. There were no battle tanks except few RECON (reconnaissance) patrol vehicles. Gen. Jerry Usani (rtd) in a recent interview alluded to the fact that both Nigeria and Biafra had absolutely nothing in terms of type of weapons needed to persecute a fighting war as against the intended police action every ear was told.     

Let me remind you that Lagos or any other city in Nigeria could not boost as military fort. Before the Ore debacle, Lagos was already infiltrated by operatives waiting for the arrival of 101 BEF.

I made an error in my previous reply to this post. I have now corrected it. I wrote, 'I am afraid you have adequately answered the question I posed to you.' when I meant to write, 'I am afraid you have not adequately answered the question I posed to you.'
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by Theblessed(f): 12:55pm On May 02, 2010
cicero:

I would rather celebrate the massob guy (and I am not doing that either) than celebrate Ojukwu. Some people have said elsewhere on this forum that he was selfish in his decision to plunge us into a civil war and I’m beginning to believe them.
Here is my position, Ojukwu was never and will never be an igbo hero.

He started a war that was fought on our soil, every army general avoids that like hell.

The igbos had already made considerable progress that if it was not interrupted by the war, the igbos would be calling the shots in Nigeria now and we would still have the opportunity to leave the Hausas and their problems and go home to Biafra.

He did not form any alliance, a dumb thing to do. Could you imagine for example a Russian warship hovering around the coastal Niger Delta and the Nigerian army and their allies being aware that a warship is watching the back of Biafra?

Did he weigh other options open to him when the igbos were being killed in the north before going for the costliest?

What is one good outcome of the war? Just tell me one

see I used to be like you, singing the ojukwu song especially after he came to our school a long time ago and gave a very inciteful speech that if we had a couple of AK47s we would have started another war.

If this man had only spent  10 minutes to consider the chances of winning or losing the war…

BTW what do you mean by the marginalization of the Igbos by the hausa? Or did you mean to say marginalization of the igbos by the igbos?

Well, got nothing to say to you! When you and your kind continue to abuse  Ojukwu for saving Ndi Igbo from the hands of these devilish wicked people that nearly wiped us all out. All I can say to you is, when you finished listening to their blackmails remember this,,'Everyone is an Expart  in Hindsight', reflecting on what could have been, what he could have done and what not.
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by udezue(m): 10:22pm On May 04, 2010
I will like to believe that my Odi Ora Mma of Biafra has gone a lil senile. He is an old man so no vex lol. smdh!!!!!

IBB by now should be in jail cooling his heels. Ojukwu honestly has gone mad oo. He needs to just leave politics alone.
Lets be honest tho, what does Ojukwu's misguided foolish support for IBB got to do with the Igbo? How does his support equate betrayal or selling us out? What crimes did IBB commit against the Igbo in particular? My issue with IBB is his illegal annulment of MKO Abiola's election. *both were actually business partners*

On the real tho. Ojukwu did what any brave man would have done for his people. He didn't take us to war. We the Eastern people chose to declare ourselves Biafrans because of the callousness of Nigerians and their government. The Eastern Assembly gave the command and Ojukwu as a military governor accepted to lead. What did Nigerians expect him to do after the war? Stay back so they can slaughter him like they did Ironsi & Fajuyi and inflict more psychological trauma on Biafrans and the Igbo in particular? Will he then become the heroes of Nigerians if he presented them his head to be sacrificed? Will you people still villify him if Biafra won its independence or is he to you a villain because we lost a war? If you were in his shoes what would you have done better? Before you crucify him for the war lets go after Danjuma, late Mohammed, Obasanjo, late Awolowo, Adekunle, Gowon and the countless Nigerian military officers who committed genocides on us from Kaduna to Biafra then come back and ask for Ojukwu's head. *mcheww* If the mass extermination of the Ijaw, Efik, Igbo didn't occur and Eastern region wasn't balkanized Biafra wouldn't have been born so if you want to criticize him focus on his STUPID support of IBB not his actions during the war coz honestly the war was brought upon us and he, Effiong, Opugo, Kogbara, Achuzia rose to the occation to defend our region against any further onslaught not hide their tails n btwn their legs regardless of their many blunders.
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by Nobody: 8:25pm On May 05, 2010
udezue:

On the real tho. Ojukwu did what any brave man would have done for his people. He didn't take us to war. We the Eastern people chose to declare ourselves Biafrans because of the callousness of Nigerians and their government. The Eastern Assembly gave the command and Ojukwu as a military governor accepted to lead.

That of course is arrant nonsense and a wilful distortion of the facts. Ojukwu as the leader has to take full responsibility for all the strategic decisions taken by the government of the Eastern Region in the period leading up to the civil war.
In fact Ojukwu was the one who tabled the bill before the assembly members seeking their authority to declare secession and advising that secession was the only reasonable cause. The actual declaration of secession was made by Ojukwu himself:-

Now, therefore, I, Lieutenant-Colonel Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu, Military Governor of Eastern Nigeria, by virtue of the authority, and pursuant to the principles, recited above, do hereby solemnly proclaim that the territory and region known as and called Eastern Nigeria together with her continental shelf and territorial waters shall henceforth be an independent sovereign state of the name and title of "The Republic of Biafra".
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by udezue(m): 8:42pm On May 05, 2010

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Customs Fingers Obasanjo, Ciroma In Fuel Subsidy Scam / Imo House Of Assembly Suspends 27 LGAs Chairmen / Abia Governorship: Igbokwe Sues PDP, INEC, Asks Court To Nullify Ahiwe Candidacy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 162
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.