Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,559 members, 7,816,355 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:06 AM

Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca (11697 Views)

Wike’s Impeachment In The Offing So Soon?- By Kennedy Friday / Gej Lied About Being Loyal To His Wife - What Other Lies Are In The Offing / Buhari/Tinubu Ticket In The Offing? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by Onlytruth(m): 8:43pm On Apr 17, 2010
tensor777:

We have learnt that men like Akpan and Njoku advised him against seccession. For some reason he chose to ignore their advice and plough ahead.
I hope his memoirs would shed more light on this fatal decision.

Ojukwu never single handedly decided to secede. The Eastern house of assembly did. Stop these lies.
The Easterners wanted out of Nigeria when Nigeria could not guarantee us safety.
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by Katsumoto: 8:46pm On Apr 17, 2010
Onlytruth:

The other BOLD QUESTION is this:

Why would Ojukwu demand that Yorubas be given a crash program to join and meet their quota in the military if he was so hell bent on pushing only an eastern agenda?

What was our concern with Yoruba running away from military service

This is one of the areas where I feel that Ojukwu was too cosmopolitan. This is why I say that his followers will NOT be that charitable.

Meanwhile all you cowards yapping on this forum, learn that the man you are yapping against tried to protect your miserable interests in the Nigerian military. When you decided to join, you joined to hide behind the Hausa/Fulani to fight the same people who saved your sorry a**'s.

Cowardly backstabbers.  cool

I have often told you that debating with you is akin to banging one's head against a wall. You are too emotional and irrational. How can a grown man make so many generalisations? How can a grown man be so influenced by posts from anonymous strangers? You are either worshipping at the Ojukwu shrine or making incendiary comments about Yoruba people. I may disagree with Dede1 most of the time but at least he tries to argue with 'facts' and logic.

You call people cowards but yet you stay in the comfort of your home in the states yapping about dealing with Yorubas in the next war. If you are so bitter and want to settle scores, why don't you be a man and start the war. Yes, I am calling you out unless of course you are a coward. Internet warrior
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by Nobody: 8:52pm On Apr 17, 2010
sjeezy8:

Ojukwu could ahve been the guy if he stayed in Nigeria and play it out to be better.
Oddly enough his great friend biographer Frederick Forsyth also alludes to the fact that with his personality and education it would have been easy for him to attain real power in Nigeria if he had fallen in line with the rest of his military colleagues and tactically recognised the authority of Gowon as the Supreme Commander.
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by Onlytruth(m): 8:56pm On Apr 17, 2010
Katsumoto:

I have often told you that debating with you is akin to banging one's head against a wall. You are too emotional and irrational. How can a grown man make so many generalisations? How can a grown man be so influenced by posts from anonymous strangers? You are either worshipping at the Ojukwu shrine or making incendiary comments about Yoruba people. I may disagree with Dede1 most of the time but at least he tries to argue with 'facts' and logic.

You call people cowards but yet you stay in the comfort of your home in the states yapping about dealing with Yorubas in the next war. If you are so bitter and want to settle scores, why don't you be a man and start the war. Yes, I am calling you out unless of course you are a coward. Internet warrior

You are a complete idiot! What are you doing on this thread if you are not a miserable coward. So because someone stays abroad he must be lost to events at home. Do you listen to your pathetic logic?
If I follow your logic, Ojukwu whose father was the richest Nigerian of his day, and who grew up among the yuppies of this world will not have reasons to fight for his people. I worship at Ojukwu's shrine because he defies normal Nigerian logic and reminds me of myself.
Coward. Keep waiting for me to launch my war.
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by Onlytruth(m): 8:58pm On Apr 17, 2010
tensor777:

Oddly enough his great friend biographer Frederick Forsyth also alludes to the fact that with his personality and education it would have been easy for him to attain real power in Nigeria if he had fallen in line with the rest of his military colleagues and tactically recognised the authority of Gowon as the Supreme Commander.

So the question is, why did he chose to stick with the course of his people instead of joining the party?
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by sjeezy8: 9:00pm On Apr 17, 2010
Onlylies STEAL WHAT? he has nothing lol

Why would anyone cry over him? He ran for president in early 2000's and LOST woefully. If anyone wanted him to be president he would ahve won- but no one did not even igbos as he lost in the East as well.

Ojukwu may have wanted the yoruba to meet their quota just as yorubas like Herbert Macauley, Ajayi Crowther, Henry Towsend wanted igbos to be more educated. So what is you point?

Most Yorubas dont demonize Ojukwu, we all agree hes a leader and has a few good attributes - we just think he's VERY dumb lol grin,

Theres nothing that cannot be achieved in Nigeria Ojukwu was the one who instilled the thought of northern oligarchy, and it came to be because majority SEs and SS's listened to the fable and fear the north in "One Nigeria".

There is nothing I (a yoruba) cannot have in Nigeria. The north is nothing without the south so why are people like you scared to be in One Nigeria, Its as if you think the northerners are superior to you guys or something.
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by Katsumoto: 9:03pm On Apr 17, 2010
Onlytruth:

You are a complete idiot! What are you doing on this thread if you are not a miserable coward. So because someone stays abroad he must be lost to events at home. Do you listen to your pathetic logic?
If I follow your logic, Ojukwu whose father was the richest Nigerian of his day, and who grew up among the yuppies of this world will have not reason to fight for his people. I worship at Ojukwu's shrine because he defies normal Nigerian logic and reminds me of myself.
Coward. Keep waiting for me to launch my war.

No one said there is anything wrong with following the trends in your country, the problem I have with people like you is that you keep talking tough yet you are so far removed geographically from the melting pot that your insignificant talk is just hot air. Keyboard revolutionary.
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by Nobody: 9:06pm On Apr 17, 2010
Onlytruth:

So the question is, why did he chose to stick with the course of his people instead of joining the party?
Who knows. Could it be pride? or hubris? But it was certainly not for the security of the Easterners if only because such a decision to declare the state of Biafra brought war to the doorsteps of the people of Eastern Region. A war for which the Ojukwu military government was operationally, tactically and strategically  unprepared.
It is a great mystery to be honest.
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by Onlytruth(m): 9:09pm On Apr 17, 2010
Katsumoto:

No one said there is anything wrong with following the trends in your country, t[b]he problem I have with people like you is that you keep talking tough yet you are so far removed geographically from the melting pot that your insignificant talk is just hot air. Keyboard revolutionary.[/b]

And who told you that I am not on ground in Nigeria, or that I don't visit enough? Who told you that?

I really don't expect you to understand because we come from completely different culture, background and orientation.
You do not understand people like Ojukwu, how can you possibly understand me? The leader of the MEND lives in South Africa, does that make him detached? You are sounding more ridiculous.
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by Onlytruth(m): 9:12pm On Apr 17, 2010
tensor777:

Who knows. Could it be pride? or hubris? But it was certainly not for the security of the Easterners if only because such a decision to declare the state of Biafra brought war to the doorsteps of the people of Eastern Region. A war for which the Ojukwu military government was operationally, tactically and strategically  unprepared.
It is a great mystery to be honest.

Mr lier, for the umpteeth time, Ojukwu did not chose Biafra, EASTERNERS (represented by their house of assembly) did.

Ojukwu is a rare breed like some of us, so you cannot understand that a man can actually see the world as being greater than himself.
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by Onlytruth(m): 9:13pm On Apr 17, 2010
My nagging questions about Ojukwu are as follows:

Why did he insist that Yorubas should meet their quota in the military?

What could he have lost if he sold his people and bowed to Gowon?

Why did he demand that northern troops leave Yorubaland?

more questions are coming after you've answered these. . .
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by sjeezy8: 9:23pm On Apr 17, 2010
It is obvious that the biafra war has psychologically fukd the mind of many igbos badly.

Efiks have passed you guys - Bold Donald duke
IJAWS have passed you guys - Jonthan even mend want to stay in Nigera with federalism
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by Onlytruth(m): 9:28pm On Apr 17, 2010
sjeezy8:

It is obvious that the biafra war has psychologically fukd the mind of many igbos badly.

Efiks have passed you guys - Bold Donald duke
IJAWS have passed you guys - Jonthan even mend want to stay in Nigera with federalism

And what has that got to do with the questions I raised about Ojukwu? undecided

Miserable attempt at diversion.
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by Onlytruth(m): 9:30pm On Apr 17, 2010
Why did he (Ojukwu) insist that Yorubas should meet their quota in the military?

Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by Katsumoto: 9:36pm On Apr 17, 2010
Onlytruth:

And who told you that I am not on ground in Nigeria, or that I don't visit enough? Who told you that?

I really don't expect you to understand because we come from completely different culture, background and orientation.
You do not understand people like Ojukwu, how can you possibly understand me? The leader of the MEND lives in South Africa, does that make him detached? You are sounding more ridiculous.

So because the leader of MEND lives in South Africa, we have to accept that is the best strategy? I don't need to understand you but I understand Ojukwu.
Of course we are from completely different ways of life, you keep making incendiary remarks about other tribes while I am at least wise enough not to make that mistake.
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by Nobody: 9:36pm On Apr 17, 2010
Onlytruth:

Why did he (Ojukwu) insist that Yorubas should meet their quota in the military?

Perhaps the mystery is somewhat resolved if we look at Ojukwu's personal impressions of Yakubu Gowon.
For some reason Ojukwu regarded him as being a tool of the shadowy northern oligarchy (whatever that means) and more damningly of not fully comprehending the situation in Nigeria.
So in that wise, in his mind there was no question of bowing to Gowon if that meant he could be "got at" by the oligarchy.
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by Katsumoto: 9:39pm On Apr 17, 2010
Onlytruth:

You already know the answers to these questions; so why ask us? WE could debate these questions but we both know, it is going to end with you attacking Yorubas.
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by sjeezy8: 9:39pm On Apr 17, 2010
Onlytruth:

Because he knew that igbo officers can fall under northern domination- which happend.

What is the meaning of selling his people? Awolowo didnt opt to secede and yorubas kno he didnt sell them.

Because he feared northern dominance in the army.

Now answer my question

Why did Obasanjo apoint the highest amount of igbo in his adminstration?

Why did Obasanjo want Soludo to be VP and the presidency zoned to the SE in 2015?

Why does Obasanjo have different igbo ladies as baby mothers?

Why did Zik opt to stay in Nigeria and not leave when Awolowo said they should seperate from the north?

Why are you scared of the north?
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by Onlytruth(m): 9:41pm On Apr 17, 2010
Katsumoto:

So because the leader of MEND lives in South Africa, we have to accept that is the best strategy? I don't need to understand you but I understand Ojukwu.
Of course we are from completely different ways of life, you keep making incendiary remarks about other tribes while I am at least wise enough not to make that mistake.

You and your Yoruba folks are the ones making incendiary remarks and openly mocking a people who are far more courageous than your people. You are here insulting the memories of our dead and the achievements of our great leader. You now turn around to accuse me of making incendiary remarks?  shocked shocked

Wonders shall never end.

We don't need your understanding and alliances. Ojukwu erroneously thought he could goad you cowards into taking a position in 1966. You paid him back by joining the same forces who ended up destroying Nigeria.

Like I told you before, Ojukwus followers will not be as charitable as him.
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by cap28: 9:43pm On Apr 17, 2010
Onlytruth:

My nagging questions about Ojukwu are as follows:

because he realised (belatedly) that he was about to be tactically outmanoevred by a joint north and west coalition, the british had ensured that a military dominated by the north was the only way they could ensure power remained in the hands of the northern oligarchy, they wanted the north to hold the reins of power in collaboration with either a western or eastern backed support however the supporting role had to be in a SUBORDINATE position, zik agreed to this (this is why he wasnt in support of the cessation) however events overtook the british plan for control, what the british did not want was a dominant east and definitely not with Ojukwu in power, the only set up which was acceptable to the british was a northern led structure with either east or west support but NOT in a dominant position.  Is this not the model that is still in operation till today?

If Ojukwu had abandoned his people and bowed to Gowon - he would be out in the cold - Gowon would not be under any obligation to negotiate with him without any power base, hence his efforts to form some sort of coalition with the western states.  

Ojukwu wanted the northern troops to leave the west in order to enable him consolidate his power base and break the north's hold over power.  britain knew this and this why they ensured that the north formed an alliance with the west thereby making it difficult for Ojukwu to singlehandedly wrest control of nigeria from the north.  

onlytruth the problem with you is that you are too shortsighted and limited in your understanding of what this war was about, who the real power brokers in nigeria are and how tribalism has been used by external forces to impede the progress and development of nigeria as a viable political and economic entity.
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by Onlytruth(m): 9:45pm On Apr 17, 2010
sjeezy8:

Now answer my question

Why did Obasanjo apoint the highest amount of igbo in his adminstration?

Why did Obasanjo want Soludo to be VP and the presidency zoned to the SE in 2015?

Why does Obasanjo have different igbo ladies as baby mothers?

Why did Zik opt to stay in Nigeria and not leave when Awolowo said they should seperate from the north?

Why are you scared of the north?

Arrant nonsense from beginning to end.
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by Katsumoto: 9:47pm On Apr 17, 2010
cap28:

because he realised (belatedly) that he was about to be tactically outmanoevred by a joint north and west coalition, the british had ensured that a military dominated by the north was the only way they could ensure power remained in the hands of the northern oligarchy, they wanted the north to hold the reins of power in collaboration with either a western or eastern backed support however the supporting role had to be in a SUBORDINATE position, zik agreed to this (this is why he wasnt in support of the cessation) however events overtook the british plan for control, what the british did not want was a dominant east and definitely not with Ojukwu in power, the only set up which was acceptable to the british was a northern led structure with either east or west support but NOT in a dominant position.  Is this not the model that is still in operation till today?

If Ojukwu had abandoned his people and bowed to Gowon - he would be out in the cold - Gowon would not be under any obligation to negotiate with him without any power base, hence his efforts to form some sort of coalition with the western states.  

Ojukwu wanted the northern troops to leave the west in order to enable him consolidate his power base and break the north's hold over power.  britain knew this and this why they ensured that the north formed an alliance with the west thereby making it difficult for Ojukwu to singlehandedly wrest control of nigeria from the north.  

onlytruth the problem with you is that you are too shortsighted and limited in your understanding of what this war was about, who the real power brokers in nigeria are and how tribalism has been used by external forces to impede the progress and development of nigeria as a viable political and economic entity.

Nice analysis
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by sjeezy8: 9:48pm On Apr 17, 2010
Onlytruth:

Arrant nonsense from beginning to end.

youre are too tribalitic to see that Obasanjo favours igbos i feel sorry you.
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by Nobody: 9:48pm On Apr 17, 2010
cap28:

onlytruth the problem with you is that you are too shortsighted and limited in your understanding of what this war was about.

I 100% agree with you there . The actions of the key players in the build-up to the war was guided by realpolitik and not mere sentiment as the guy is making out.
It was a much more sophisticated power tussle than he realises.
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by cicero(m): 9:50pm On Apr 17, 2010
Theblessed:

[b]Lies, lies and more lies!!

You see, it's your kind that betrayed us during the war - the ''Ikegbunas''.  

Everyone knows Ojukwu opened our eyes and we saw and have been seeing ever since, haven't we If the Hausas and Yorubas have not been wicked, devilish in their ways and hell bent on their Hatred of the Igbos, why up till now (40yrs+ after the war) are they continuously marginalising the Igbos.  Isn't it time they treat Nigeria as one by 'Action' and not by words.

You claimed, the war was not fought on their soil and I assume the impact on them (as they managed to go about their businesses) were lesser compared to the Igbos, during that war.  

In fact, they never lost anything apart from few soldiers which often happens at wars.  So, why are they still hell bent on seeing the Igbos perish if not for their own wickedness of heart which Ojukwu saw and challenged in the first place. And, may I ask since that war, who is holding power in this country and who is in charge of the oil rigs? Is it not them, taking their turns in destroying our country?  What have they achieved for Nigeria ever since, if not lining their own pockets and creating the chaos we have in this country today - armed robbers here, kidnappers there and many Nigerians in diaspora seeking greener pastures? Maybe, you'd attribute this to Ojukwu as well, won't you?

Therefore, in your views, if the Igbos had not done well  considering all the structural inequalities put in place to stop us - I mean, all sorts of obstacles, hindrances, restrictions and limitations stack up against ndi Igbo that we have to manoeuvre to get what we need, I wonder.

And may I ask, how better have they themselves done despite how good they've always had it aside, stealing our money? The oil money is in their hands yet, a rich country like Nigeria is looking like Sudan and Ethiopia put together.  Shame on you for castigating ndi Igbo!!!angry angry angry angry angry

God bless Ikemba Emeka Ojukwu and, God bless Ndi Igbo!!
[/b]

I would rather celebrate the massob guy (and I am not doing that either) than celebrate Ojukwu. Some people have said elsewhere on this forum that he was selfish in his decision to plunge us into a civil war and I’m beginning to believe them.
Here is my position, Ojukwu was never and will never be an igbo hero.

He started a war that was fought on our soil, every army general avoids that like hell.

The igbos had already made considerable progress that if it was not interrupted by the war, the igbos would be calling the shots in Nigeria now and we would still have the opportunity to leave the Hausas and their problems and go home to Biafra.

He did not form any alliance, a dumb thing to do. Could you imagine for example a Russian warship hovering around the coastal Niger Delta and the Nigerian army and their allies being aware that a warship is watching the back of Biafra?

Did he weigh other options open to him when the igbos were being killed in the north before going for the costliest?

What is one good outcome of the war? Just tell me one

see I used to be like you, singing the ojukwu song especially after he came to our school a long time ago and gave a very inciteful speech that if we had a couple of AK47s we would have started another war.

If this man had only spent  10 minutes to consider the chances of winning or losing the war…

BTW what do you mean by the marginalization of the Igbos by the hausa? Or did you mean to say marginalization of the igbos by the igbos?
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by Katsumoto: 9:51pm On Apr 17, 2010
sjeezy8:

youre are too tribalitic to see that Obasanjo favours igbos i feel sorry you.

That guy is almost beyond redemption; hate has consumed him completely.
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by Onlytruth(m): 9:52pm On Apr 17, 2010
cap28:

This is where you people are completely wrong. The West was in no position to make "maneuvers" of any kind. The Yoruba was under-represented in the military (I'd say out of cowardice). Ojukwu tried to help balance this by demanding a balance which would have benefitted the whole country and make Easterners feel safer in Nigeria. Your people cowered out.  On top of that when you joined, you started fighting the same man who tried to save you.

Please leave the so called external forces out of this thread. External forces did not steal $300 billion between 1970 and today. Your people and Hausa did.
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by Onlytruth(m): 9:58pm On Apr 17, 2010
Katsumoto:

That guy is almost beyond redemption; hate has consumed him completely.

Actually I'm still only in my 100 levels of the Hate school. Your people as of today are at the 300 levels, but I'm sure to catch up and surpass them like in other areas of Nigerian life since after the war. Igbo always catch up.
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by metalgong5(m): 10:03pm On Apr 17, 2010
@ Onlytruth

My brother please stop wasting your time with KATSUMOTO, CAP, SLEEDZY and their fellow yoruba cowards. These Yoruba men are just wimps, loudmouthed parrots and jealous parasites that have nothing to offer their neighbours in any form of union.

@ Poster

Odumegwu Ojukwu remains the hero of Ndigbo and also the fighter of the downtroddens of any ethnic extraction in Nigeria.
Ojukwu, Eze Ndigbo Gburugburu shall live long and reap the fruits of his labour.
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by sjeezy8: 10:06pm On Apr 17, 2010
Onlytruth:

Actually I'm still only in my 100 levels of the Hate school. Your people as of today are at the 300 levels, but I'm sure to catch up and surpass them like in other areas of Nigerian life since after the war. Igbo always catch up.

I can see that youre mentally unstable

Onlytruth:

This is where you people are completely wrong. The West was in no position to make "maneuvers" of any kind. The Yoruba was under-represented in the military (I'd say out of cowardice). Ojukwu tried to help balance this by demanding a balance which would have benefitted the whole country and make Easterners feel safer in Nigeria. Your people cowered out.  On top of that when you joined, you started fighting the same man who tried to save you.

Please leave the so called external forces out of this thread. External forces did not steal $300 billion between 1970 and today. Your people and Hausa did.

Intellectually the West is far above other zones . Military strength isnt everything. Military strength is only needed in militray governements. In a free and fair democractic election the winner would most likely be from the West time and time again.
the north and west are just using Zoning to have mercy on SE and SS folks-

A democractic Nigeria was built for westereners- they cannot lose in it.
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by Onlytruth(m): 10:08pm On Apr 17, 2010
metal-gong:

@ Onlytruth

My brother please stop wasting your time with KATSUMOTO, CAP, SLEEDZY and their fellow yoruba cowards. These Yoruba men are just wimps, loudmouthed parrots and jealous parasites that have nothing to offer their neighbours in any form of union.

@ Poster

Odumegwu Ojukwu remains the hero of Ndigbo and also the fighter of the downtroddens of any ethnic extraction in Nigeria.
Ojukwu, Eze Ndigbo Gburugburu shall live long and reap the fruits of his labour.

Thank you my brother. I'll take your words. cool
Re: Ojukwu's Memoirs In The Offing - Bianca by sjeezy8: 10:11pm On Apr 17, 2010
metal-gong:

@ Onlytruth

what does the East have to offer anyone? lol hopes of secession grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Why I Became A Terrorist - Abdulmuttalab / Demonstration In Support Of Patience's N4B Building Project (Pictures) / Rivers Assembly Screens, Confirms 20 Commissioner-nominees For Wike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.