Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,739 members, 7,809,832 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:39 PM

Name Your Top 5 Novels Of All Time You Would Like Your Friends To Read. - Literature (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Name Your Top 5 Novels Of All Time You Would Like Your Friends To Read. (22490 Views)

20 Greatest Novels Of All Time / From Century To Century - The Best Novels Of Five Centuries / Five Novels By Nigerian Authors You Should Read (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Name Your Top 5 Novels Of All Time You Would Like Your Friends To Read. by elfico(m): 12:15pm On Jan 23, 2018
oyinda1599:
I love most novels by Sidney Sheldon ,Sicilian by Mario Puzo.will try and read Dan brown Davinci Code,I heard is somehow controversial.
Yup. Somehow borders on blasphemy. But its fictitious anyway. All his books are great.
Re: Name Your Top 5 Novels Of All Time You Would Like Your Friends To Read. by biggieoflife: 12:23pm On Jan 23, 2018
AryaSand:

Yes, I have omerta in pdf. Mail me so I can send it and some others to you.

Yes! Thanks

biggieoflife@gmail.com
Re: Name Your Top 5 Novels Of All Time You Would Like Your Friends To Read. by eldee365: 12:39pm On Jan 23, 2018
HotIce90:

Lord of the flies was my favorite when I was a kid. Love the movie too
piggy the nerd and Ralph the bad boy, seeing this comment of yours, i miss my secondary school days literature classes!smiley
Re: Name Your Top 5 Novels Of All Time You Would Like Your Friends To Read. by Rhodakayla(f): 12:48pm On Jan 23, 2018
1.Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
2. My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult
3. Cross Country by James Patterson
4. Man and Boy by Tony Parsons
5. Second Class Citizen by Buchi Emecheta

1 Like

Re: Name Your Top 5 Novels Of All Time You Would Like Your Friends To Read. by AkpaMgbor(m): 12:54pm On Jan 23, 2018
elfico:

Your list is quite impressive. You read Illiad and Martin G.R series A tip my hat in respect
I was gifted the Iliad by my dad in my junior secondary school days..I got engulfed in the world of Greek mythology from then on..I also went on to read the sequel which is the odyssey...as for Martins, that guy is hands down the most witty storyteller I’ve(personally)known..Tolkien pales in comparison truth be told..we’re patiently waiting for the book 6 to be released, don’t know what is taking Martins so damn long!

2 Likes

Re: Name Your Top 5 Novels Of All Time You Would Like Your Friends To Read. by holocron: 1:12pm On Jan 23, 2018
Ramon92:
So many novels I've read and they're more than just the best 5

The Alchemist.. Paolo Coelho
To kill a mockingbird
1984 by George Orwell
All novels by Dan Brown
House of cards series.. Michael Dobbs
Things fall apart.. Chinua Achebe
In cold blood.. Truman Capote
The Godfather trilogy

.. Reading at the moment, The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

mario puzo's Godfather was just a single book. It was the films that were in three parts.
Re: Name Your Top 5 Novels Of All Time You Would Like Your Friends To Read. by adegeye38(m): 1:17pm On Jan 23, 2018
sinaj:
yea I have the book.
Abput a young man dat left Scotland for SA through d desert in search of diamonds in the wilderness. Lol.

The book can be likened to today's happening, Nigerians going to Europe through the desert.
yeah, the book is really awesome

1 Like

Re: Name Your Top 5 Novels Of All Time You Would Like Your Friends To Read. by adegeye38(m): 1:21pm On Jan 23, 2018
HotIce90:

I have read it. But OP asked for just 5 novels. Do you know that some Freemason phrase used In lost symbols are wrong? Example, "Is there any help for the widows son". That's not the correct way of saying it.
wow, u really are a dan brown addict, i cant even remember all those phrases, but my best dan brown novel is still angels and demons
Re: Name Your Top 5 Novels Of All Time You Would Like Your Friends To Read. by EdwardDomnan(m): 1:25pm On Jan 23, 2018
Pls anyone with books or link i can download should kindly bless me with them via 08033676694 or talk2dom216@gmail.com.
Thanks in anticipation
Re: Name Your Top 5 Novels Of All Time You Would Like Your Friends To Read. by obicaddy(m): 1:30pm On Jan 23, 2018
sirBLUNT:
pls can u sent it to me via email @solomontengu09@gmail.com

I don't have the softcopy, but i have the books at home.
Re: Name Your Top 5 Novels Of All Time You Would Like Your Friends To Read. by sirBLUNT: 1:41pm On Jan 23, 2018
obicaddy:

I don't have the softcopy, but i have the books at home.
ok thanks all thesame
Re: Name Your Top 5 Novels Of All Time You Would Like Your Friends To Read. by sirBLUNT: 1:45pm On Jan 23, 2018
AryaSand:

Yes, I have omerta in pdf. Mail me so I can send it and some others to you.
pls sent it to me and some of the once you have too@solomontengu09@gmail.com
Re: Name Your Top 5 Novels Of All Time You Would Like Your Friends To Read. by peacesamuel94(m): 1:55pm On Jan 23, 2018
Re: Name Your Top 5 Novels Of All Time You Would Like Your Friends To Read. by peacesamuel94(m): 1:57pm On Jan 23, 2018
Independence (Sarah Ladipo Manyika).

Purple Hibiscus ( Chimamanda Adichie)

Macbeth ( William Shakespeare)

Oliver Twist( Charles dickens)

Teachers on strike. Chuma Udeh
Re: Name Your Top 5 Novels Of All Time You Would Like Your Friends To Read. by XKZ(m): 2:32pm On Jan 23, 2018
Mistress of the Morning Star by Elizabeth Lane
Amanda/Miranda by Richard Peck
Re: Name Your Top 5 Novels Of All Time You Would Like Your Friends To Read. by brainpower(m): 3:08pm On Jan 23, 2018
BruncleZuma:

I have only a hard copy that was gifted me by my mother in the 90s that's my only copy

Ok. Thanks.
Re: Name Your Top 5 Novels Of All Time You Would Like Your Friends To Read. by Ayiibobo(m): 3:39pm On Jan 23, 2018
The circle trilogy(valley of silence, morigan's cross,dance of the gods)-nora Roberts
Da Vinci code-dan brown
Ambler warning-robert Ludlum
Things fall apart-chinua Achebe
Lord of the flies-william Golding

Other notable mentions
The woods are dark-richard laymon
Iliad-homer
Ogboju ode ninu Igbo irumole-daniel o.fagunwa
Animal farm-george orwell
Love match-janet quin-harkin
Treasure island-robert Louis Stevenson
The mayor of casterbridge-Thomas hardy
Re: Name Your Top 5 Novels Of All Time You Would Like Your Friends To Read. by Ayiibobo(m): 5:12pm On Jan 23, 2018
annie74:

The Maze- Catherine Coulter
If tomorrow comes- Sydney Sheldon
Pretend you don't see her- Mary Higgins Clark
On the street where you live -Mary Higgins Clark
A time to kill- John Grisham
The third twin- Ken Follett
Weep no more my lady- Mary Higgins Clark

You want more??
on the street where you live is a fantastic novel,.....u get taste bae
Re: Name Your Top 5 Novels Of All Time You Would Like Your Friends To Read. by Ayiibobo(m): 6:00pm On Jan 23, 2018
Judyvin:
How to win friends and Influence people - By Dale Carnegie. ( so much love this novel ), it builds your IQ on how to deal with humans.
Animal Farm - By George Orwell
Tough Times Never Last BUT Tough people Do - By Robert H Schuller. ( it motivates you on getting things done without being pessimistic )
Treasure Island - By Williams Shakespeare.

Pls recommendations of any good novel like how to wins friends and influence people is welcomed.
treasure island is authored by Robert Louis Stevenson not Shakespeare,.........na aba made u read
Re: Name Your Top 5 Novels Of All Time You Would Like Your Friends To Read. by chieni(f): 6:31pm On Jan 23, 2018
violence- festus Iyayi,
diary of a whimpy kid- Jeff kinney,
oliver twist- Charles dicken,
purple hibiscus- chimamanda Adichie,
sugar girl- kola onadipe.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Name Your Top 5 Novels Of All Time You Would Like Your Friends To Read. by amicable09(f): 8:05pm On Jan 23, 2018
chieni:
violence- festus Iyayi,
Hi Chieni, I can't help but comment on the list of books you mentioned cheesy

I've read all four except Violence by Festus Iyayi. I should look for it but mehn, 'diary of a wimpy kid' holds me spellbound everytime the kids bring home the series from their school library. I recommend it for every child!

Sugar girl cheesy cheesy cheesy
I think there are more than one titled sugar girl novel. I read one about Ralia in primary school.

Oliver Twist, Secondary school.

Purple Hibiscus, Uni/Graduate.

Your collection is beautiful cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Name Your Top 5 Novels Of All Time You Would Like Your Friends To Read. by HotIce90(f): 9:05pm On Jan 23, 2018
adegeye38:
wow, u really are a dan brown addict, i cant even remember all those phrases, but my best dan brown novel is still angels and demons
My dad is a Freemason...Angels and demons is a Master piece on how the church treated scientists of old.
Re: Name Your Top 5 Novels Of All Time You Would Like Your Friends To Read. by HotIce90(f): 9:06pm On Jan 23, 2018
eldee365:

piggy the nerd and Ralph the bad boy, seeing this comment of yours, i miss my secondary school days literature classes!smiley
Bygone are the old days of literature.
Re: Name Your Top 5 Novels Of All Time You Would Like Your Friends To Read. by Nobody: 9:11pm On Jan 23, 2018
1.Danielle Steel-THE GIFT 2.Jill mansel-PERFECT TIMING 3.Wole Soyinka-LION AND THE JEWEL 4.Shannon Hale-PRINCESS ACADEMY 5.Pamela Bauer-FANCY'S BABY
Re: Name Your Top 5 Novels Of All Time You Would Like Your Friends To Read. by eldee365: 9:15pm On Jan 23, 2018
HotIce90:
Bygone are the old days of literature.
Bygone, yes, but i still get this nostalgic feelings when i see comments like yours.
Re: Name Your Top 5 Novels Of All Time You Would Like Your Friends To Read. by buffalowings: 9:37pm On Jan 23, 2018
chieni:
violence- festus Iyayi,

About oliver twist
Was it the abridged version you reaad cool?
Re: Name Your Top 5 Novels Of All Time You Would Like Your Friends To Read. by chieni(f): 9:39pm On Jan 23, 2018
amicable09:

Hi Chieni, I can't help but comment on the list of books you mentioned cheesy

I've read all four except Violence by Festus Iyayi. I should look for it but mehn, 'diary of a wimpy kid' holds me spellbound everytime the kids bring home the series from their school library. I recommend it for every child!

Sugar girl cheesy cheesy cheesy
I think there are more than one titled sugar girl novel. I read one about Ralia in primary school.

Oliver Twist, Secondary school.

Purple Hibiscus, Uni/Graduate.

Your collection is beautiful cheesy
awww. Thank you very much amicable, it's good to see your mention.
The sugar girl you mentioned that has Ralia as the main character is actually the book I also read. it was a popular book back then.

diary of a whimpy kid will really make you laugh till you forget your name ( Greg doing his own weird things)

you should read violence by festus iyayi, its really interesting.

1 Like

Re: Name Your Top 5 Novels Of All Time You Would Like Your Friends To Read. by buffalowings: 9:41pm On Jan 23, 2018
Ayiibobo:
The circle trilogy(valley of silence, morigan's cross,dance of the gods)-nora Roberts
Da Vinci code-dan brown
Ambler warning-robert Ludlum
Things fall apart-chinua Achebe
Lord of the flies-william Golding

Other notable mentions
The woods are dark-richard laymon
Iliad-homer
Ogboju ode ninu Igbo irumole-daniel o.fagunwa
Animal farm-george orwell
Love match-janet quin-harkin
Treasure island-robert Louis Stevenson
The mayor of casterbridge-Thomas hardy

Mayor of casterbridge.

If there was ever a tragic novel, that's the one and only.

2 Likes

Re: Name Your Top 5 Novels Of All Time You Would Like Your Friends To Read. by chieni(f): 9:53pm On Jan 23, 2018
buffalowings:

About oliver twist
I didn't take note of that. All I can remember is that I read oliver twist. it's been a long time, either primary or junior secondary. why did you ask?

kiss
buffalowings:

About oliver twist
I didn't take note of that. All I can remember is that I read oliver twist. it's been a long time, either primary or junior secondary. why did you ask?
Re: Name Your Top 5 Novels Of All Time You Would Like Your Friends To Read. by sirgalahad26(m): 10:07pm On Jan 23, 2018
teamsynergy:
devil on the cross by ngugu wa thiongo the chamber by john grisham art of war by sun tzu (not sure if it qualifies as a novel)
the lord of the rings by jrr tolkien the adventure of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur doyle
pls, how do i get dat devil on the cross or an electronic copy!
Re: Name Your Top 5 Novels Of All Time You Would Like Your Friends To Read. by buffalowings: 10:37pm On Jan 23, 2018
chieni:

kiss

Most likely the abridged version. I read that too andit was some years later I saw the unabridged.
I had to skip it as I already knew what the novel entailed.

There is something about these unabridged versions-the language is richer and you get to know the world of the characters in vivid detail.
But then for abridged classics, the whole aim is to endear kids to fantasyland and if you still find pleasure in reading books, then they must have served their purpose.
Re: Name Your Top 5 Novels Of All Time You Would Like Your Friends To Read. by chieni(f): 10:40pm On Jan 23, 2018
buffalowings:

Most likely the abridged version. I read that too andit was some years later I saw the unabridged.
I had to skip it as I already knew what the novel entailed.

There is something about these unabridged versions-the language is richer and you get to know the world of the characters in vivid detail.
But then for abridged classics, the whole aim is to endear kids to fantasyland and if you still find pleasure in reading books, then they must have served their purpose.
yes you are very correct.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Chimamanda Adichie Says It's Wrong To Use Feminism As An Excuse To Insult A Man / Virgins Magazine Is The Best Romantic Magazine In Nigeria. / Wole Oguntokun Is Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.