Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,879 members, 7,810,370 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:49 AM

NL Atheists, On What Basis Do You Define Right And Wrong? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / NL Atheists, On What Basis Do You Define Right And Wrong? (3250 Views)

On What Basis Should A Nigerian Christian Support Isreal Over Palestine / Today Is World Atheist Day. NL Atheists How Did You Celebrate? / Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

NL Atheists, On What Basis Do You Define Right And Wrong? by SQred: 3:47pm On Jan 24, 2018
Hi Atheists on NL. I'm curious to know the basis upon which you use in differentiating between right and wrong since you don't believe in the existence of a transcendent moral authority that prescribes moral principles that are codified in the literature of the said religion.

2 Likes

Re: NL Atheists, On What Basis Do You Define Right And Wrong? by kabeerhabe(m): 3:50pm On Jan 24, 2018
This is an intelligent question,

1 Like

Re: NL Atheists, On What Basis Do You Define Right And Wrong? by HeyCorleone(m): 3:58pm On Jan 24, 2018
That is what Nietzsche meant by the phrase "God is dead", and the coming of the "Übermensch".

Most of the things we call morals are hinged on religion. What he advocated was for us to look for ways devoid of religious affiliations to define our premise for right and wrong.
Re: NL Atheists, On What Basis Do You Define Right And Wrong? by Ever8054: 4:26pm On Jan 24, 2018
HeyCorleone:
That is what Nietzsche meant by the phrase "God is dead", and the coming of the "Übermensch".

Most of the things we call morals are hinged on religion. What he advocated was for us to look for ways devoid of religious affiliations to define our premise for right and wrong.
this is one of there problem, ask them a simple question,..not knowing what to say,they start typing rubbish....

1 Like

Re: NL Atheists, On What Basis Do You Define Right And Wrong? by SQred: 4:28pm On Jan 24, 2018
Ever8054:
this is one of there problem, ask them a simple question,..not knowing what to say,they start typing rubbish....

He is on your side of the debate.

Read and think before you type.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NL Atheists, On What Basis Do You Define Right And Wrong? by HeyCorleone(m): 4:33pm On Jan 24, 2018
Ever8054:

Because you're of low intellectual capacity, hence making comprehension a very difficult duty, doesn't mean everyone is like you. If you don't understand, just tell me to break it down some more. Don't just let the whole world know how mentally slow you are.

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: NL Atheists, On What Basis Do You Define Right And Wrong? by SQred: 4:36pm On Jan 24, 2018
Lol why aren't the atheists responding?
Re: NL Atheists, On What Basis Do You Define Right And Wrong? by PastorAIO: 5:44pm On Jan 24, 2018
Atheist answers:

Weah96:

You're one of those people who claim to speak to a so called all seeing creator and yet still disobey him knowing that the punishment is suya death after your natural death.

Do I look like a foo.l to you. Hahaha. I haven't met any human brave enough to enter hot grill for eternity. Just by admitting that you disobey the non human with whom you speak, you have declared unintentionally that you're telling lies. Are you a suicidal person?

3 Likes

Re: NL Atheists, On What Basis Do You Define Right And Wrong? by SQred: 5:47pm On Jan 24, 2018
PastorAIO:
Atheist answers:
How is this a response to my question?

1 Like

Re: NL Atheists, On What Basis Do You Define Right And Wrong? by PastorAIO: 5:58pm On Jan 24, 2018
SQred:

How is this a response to my question?

Perhaps you ought to read the whole thread to get the context. The issue of morality and God's existence has produced so many threads here in the past.

Maybe that's why the atheists can't be bothered to go through it all again.

My own take on the whole issue is that Morality is an Instinct. The same way we have Survival Instinct etc we also have Morality.

There is no need for God to explain morality. And this fact is buttressed by what Weah96 says.

If christians got their morality from God, a god they know exist and they talk to everyday, and YET they continue to flout these moral laws then what does that say about their beliefs.

Ordinary koboko that they used to threaten us with when we were small, that was enough to keep us in line. Why? Because we knew the koboko was real!

Why Can't threat of hell fire keep christians in line?

5 Likes

Re: NL Atheists, On What Basis Do You Define Right And Wrong? by CAPSLOCKED: 7:09pm On Jan 24, 2018
SQred:
Hi Atheists on NL. I'm curious to know the basis upon which you use in differentiating between right and wrong since you don't believe in the existence of a transcendent moral authority that prescribes moral principles that are codified in the literature of the said religion.

IF YOU NEED FALSE BELIEFS, SUPERSTITIONS, AND THREATS OF DAMNATION OR FALSE PROMISES FROM MYTHICAL CREATURES JUST TO BE MORAL, YOU DON'T DESERVE TO BE HUMAN.

MORALITY IS AN INTEGRAL PART OF HUMANITY.

1 Like

Re: NL Atheists, On What Basis Do You Define Right And Wrong? by CAPSLOCKED: 7:14pm On Jan 24, 2018
PastorAIO:

Perhaps you ought to read the whole thread to get the context. The issue of morality and God's existence has produced so many threads here in the past.

Maybe that's why the atheists can't be bothered to go through it all again.

My own take on the whole issue is that Morality is an Instinct. The same way we have Survival Instinct etc we also have Morality.

There is no need for God to explain morality. And this fact is buttressed by what Weah96 says.

If christians got their morality from God, a god they know exist and they talk to everyday, and YET they continue to flout these moral laws then what does that say about their beliefs.

Ordinary koboko that they used to threaten us with when we were small, that was enough to keep us in line. Why? Because we knew the koboko was real!

Why Can't threat of hell fire keep christians in line?

FUNNY ENOUGH CHRISTIANS EMBRACE THE BIBLE AS A QUALITY SOURCE OF MORALITY.

BUT EVEN THE KIDDIES BIBLE "MY FIRST BIBLE STORY" EXPOSES THE "WORD OF GOD" AS THE GREATEST IMMORAL MATERIAL EVER COMPILED.

1 Like

Re: NL Atheists, On What Basis Do You Define Right And Wrong? by SQred: 7:26pm On Jan 24, 2018
CAPSLOCKED:

IF YOU NEED FALSE BELIEFS, SUPERSTITIONS, AND THREATS OF DAMNATION OR FALSE PROMISES FROM MYTHICAL CREATURES JUST TO BE MORAL, YOU DON'T DESERVE TO BE HUMAN.

MORALITY IS AN INTEGRAL PART OF HUMANITY.

You haven't answered my question. My question is: As an atheist, on what basis do you differentiate what's right from what's wrong. Please respond to my question.
Re: NL Atheists, On What Basis Do You Define Right And Wrong? by CAPSLOCKED: 7:31pm On Jan 24, 2018
SQred:

You haven't answered my question. My question is: As an atheist, on what basis do you differentiate what's right from what's wrong. Please respond to my question.

YOU DON'T NEED RELIGION TO KNOW WHAT'S WRONG OR RIGHT.
YOU DON'T NEED ATHEISM TO BE GOOD OR BAD.

EVEN A 2YO CHILD KNOWS CERTAIN THINGS ARE OKAY, AND SOME AREN'T.

"COMMON SENSE" IS ALL WE NEED.

3 Likes

Re: NL Atheists, On What Basis Do You Define Right And Wrong? by dalaman: 7:37pm On Jan 24, 2018
Athiest get their morality from where everyone gets his or her morality from which is the society.

1 Like

Re: NL Atheists, On What Basis Do You Define Right And Wrong? by SQred: 7:41pm On Jan 24, 2018
CAPSLOCKED:

YOU DON'T NEED RELIGION TO KNOW WHAT'S WRONG OR RIGHT.
YOU DON'T NEED ATHEISM TO BE GOOD OR BAD.

EVEN A 2YO CHILD KNOWS CERTAIN THINGS ARE OKAY, AND SOME AREN'T.

"COMMON SENSE" IS ALL WE NEED.

How do you differentiate between what's wrong and what's right? How do you define right and wrong? How do you determine what's morally wrong and what's morally right? Please answer my question.
Re: NL Atheists, On What Basis Do You Define Right And Wrong? by hopefulLandlord: 7:50pm On Jan 24, 2018
Everyone already decides for themselves what is right and wrong, based on a combination of principle, compassion, and social influences. Some of us aren't delusional enough to think our morals have been handed down by some omniscient figure.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: NL Atheists, On What Basis Do You Define Right And Wrong? by CAPSLOCKED: 7:51pm On Jan 24, 2018
SQred:

How do you differentiate between what's wrong and what's right? How do you define right and wrong? How do you determine what's morally wrong and what's morally right? Please answer my question.

TELL ME HOW YOU DETERMINE WHAT'S HARD AND WHAT'S SOFT...

I PROMISE TO ANSWER YOU AFTER THAT

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NL Atheists, On What Basis Do You Define Right And Wrong? by SQred: 7:55pm On Jan 24, 2018
dalaman:
Athiest get their morality from where everyone gets his or her morality from which is the society.

Society isn't a monolithic entity. There are lots of societies and they tend to have differing moral principles. Saying you derive your morality from society doesn't make any sense because you aren't specific on which society you are referring to.

So again, on what basis do differentiate right from wrong?

2 Likes

Re: NL Atheists, On What Basis Do You Define Right And Wrong? by SQred: 8:01pm On Jan 24, 2018
CAPSLOCKED:

TELL ME HOW YOU DETERMINE WHAT'S HARD AND WHAT'S SOFT...
I PROMISE TO ANSWER YOU AFTER THAT
Can you answer my simple question and stop making non sequitor analogies?

1 Like

Re: NL Atheists, On What Basis Do You Define Right And Wrong? by CAPSLOCKED: 8:04pm On Jan 24, 2018
SQred:

Can you answer my simple question and stop making non sequitor analogies?

LOL

LET'S THROW DICE TO DECIDE WHO ANSWERS FIRST.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: NL Atheists, On What Basis Do You Define Right And Wrong? by SQred: 8:05pm On Jan 24, 2018
hopefulLandlord:
Everyone already decides for themselves what is right and wrong, based on a combination of principle, compassion, and social influences. Some of us aren't delusional enough to think our morals have been handed down by some omniscient figure.

How do YOU differentiate right from wrong? On what basis is YOUR morality predicated?

Why can't you guys just answer my question directly?
Re: NL Atheists, On What Basis Do You Define Right And Wrong? by SQred: 8:10pm On Jan 24, 2018
CAPSLOCKED:

LOL

LET'S THROW DICE TO DECIDE WHO ANSWERS FIRST.

You obviously don't have an answer to my question so I'll wait for someone who does.

It's quite ironic that people like you criticize theists for being evasive but you are doing the same thing.
Re: NL Atheists, On What Basis Do You Define Right And Wrong? by hopefulLandlord: 8:12pm On Jan 24, 2018
SQred:

How do YOU differentiate right from wrong? On what basis is YOUR morality predicated?

Why can't you guys just answer my question directly?

I hope reading isn't too difficult for you bro? or which part of my post didn't answer your question directly?

1 Like

Re: NL Atheists, On What Basis Do You Define Right And Wrong? by SQred: 8:14pm On Jan 24, 2018
It's either the people who claim to be atheists on this forum are unintelligent or just confused. I asked a simple question and all I'm getting is just unrelated responses and deliberate obfuscation. This is really frustrating.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: NL Atheists, On What Basis Do You Define Right And Wrong? by SQred: 8:16pm On Jan 24, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

I hope reading isn't too difficult for you bro? or which part of my post didn't answer your question directly?

Can you just answer my question directly. Tell me how YOU differentiate right from wrong. Don't give me generic answers. Tell me how you as an individual determines what's wrong and what's right.
Re: NL Atheists, On What Basis Do You Define Right And Wrong? by hopefulLandlord: 8:22pm On Jan 24, 2018
SQred:

Can you just answer my question directly. Tell me how YOU differentiate right from wrong. Don't give me generic answers. Tell me how you as an individual determines what's wrong and what's right.

Never knew you need people to spell things out for you

I decide for myself what is right and wrong, based on a combination of principle, compassion, and social influences.

Just like everyone does, generally speaking

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: NL Atheists, On What Basis Do You Define Right And Wrong? by Nobody: 8:27pm On Jan 24, 2018
overflogged topic
Re: NL Atheists, On What Basis Do You Define Right And Wrong? by PastorAIO: 8:34pm On Jan 24, 2018
SQred:

If you really desperately want answers why don't you just go and open any of the gazillion threads that discuss the topic.
Re: NL Atheists, On What Basis Do You Define Right And Wrong? by johnydon22(m): 8:36pm On Jan 24, 2018
SQred:

Simple: Morality is a human concept and therefore it has a human definition.

So anyone (atheist) can differentiate between moral and immoral actions by the definitions of morality and its opposite
Re: NL Atheists, On What Basis Do You Define Right And Wrong? by Nobody: 8:48pm On Jan 24, 2018
SQred:
It's either the people who claim to be atheists on this forum are unintelligent or just confused. I asked a simple question and all I'm getting is just unrelated responses and deliberate obfuscation. This is really frustrating.

https://www.nairaland.com/4113374/moral-dilemma-makes-atheism-unwise

the replies will answer your question.
Re: NL Atheists, On What Basis Do You Define Right And Wrong? by dalaman: 9:58pm On Jan 24, 2018
SQred:

Society isn't a monolithic entity. There are lots of societies and they tend to have differing moral principles. Saying you derive your morality from society doesn't make any sense because you aren't specific on which society you are referring to.

So again, on what basis do differentiate right from wrong?

Society isn't monolithic that is why morality differs from society to society. A person raised and living in Saudi Arabia gets his morality from the Saudi society and his morality is different from a person who is raised and living in Sweden.

The same applies to a person raised and living in Iran to a person raised and living in US or China.

Everybody gets his or her morality from their various societies.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Tribulation Is Already Here. / Are The Angels Of God Male Or Female? / Atheism: An Irrational Worldview

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.