Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,908 members, 7,821,156 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:05 AM

NL Atheists, On What Basis Do You Define Right And Wrong? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / NL Atheists, On What Basis Do You Define Right And Wrong? (3274 Views)

On What Basis Should A Nigerian Christian Support Isreal Over Palestine / Today Is World Atheist Day. NL Atheists How Did You Celebrate? / Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NL Atheists, On What Basis Do You Define Right And Wrong? by CAPSLOCKED: 11:32pm On Jan 24, 2018
SQred:

You obviously don't have an answer to my question so I'll wait for someone who does.

It's quite ironic that people like you criticize theists for being evasive but you are doing the same thing.

I'M NOT BEING EVASIVE. IT'S SIMPLE.
YOU DON'T JUST ASK MEANINGLESS QUESTIONS EXPECTING MEANINGFUL ANSWERS.
Re: NL Atheists, On What Basis Do You Define Right And Wrong? by budaatum: 12:30am On Jan 25, 2018
SQred:
Hi Atheists on NL. I'm curious to know the basis upon which you use in differentiating between right and wrong since you don't believe in the existence of a transcendent moral authority that prescribes moral principles that are codified in the literature of the said religion.
I was taught by my parents, to start with, to say please and thank you, not to pick my nose in public and to respect others. I know it hurts if you slapped me so I reckon it would hurt you if I slapped you so I don't go about slapping people, or killing them, for that matter. If I came home and found you screwing my partner, I don't think I'd want you coming to my house anymore. I'd feel the same if you ate my dinner or stole my shoes, and I think you'd feel the same if you came home and found me eating your partner or screwing your dinner or stealing your shoes, and besides, I kind of like you as a fellow human being, so I wouldn't do things to you or my dog, for that matter, that I would not like to be done to me. I know that you have feelings just as I do and what would hurt me might hurt you too so why be a prick towards you when I wouldn't willingly prick myself?

If I was a prick all the time, no one would like me and I'd have no friends, and I like having friends and I like sleeping at night safe in my bed, so why be a prick and have to stay up all night making sure I am protected from the consequences of my prickiness? Did I like myself when in the past, I took what belonged to another without their permission? And even though they did not know I took it, did I not know, and did I not hide myself away in shame knowing full well what I had done? Was the fact that I lost a valuable friend worth it in the end, and have I not learnt from the experience? Has atheism made me so stupid that I would think I now get to do whatever I wanted without considering the consequences of my prickiness? And more importantly, do I not mind or care about the consequences at all?

Experience, and knowledge gained from it, and the society one belongs to, my friend, teaches one what is good and what is evil. Life itself would soon set me straight when my prickiness turns me into budanomates!

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: NL Atheists, On What Basis Do You Define Right And Wrong? by frank317: 9:00am On Jan 25, 2018
SQred:

How do you differentiate between what's wrong and what's right? How do you define right and wrong? How do you determine what's morally wrong and what's morally right? Please answer my question.

How do u differentiate what is right or wrong?

When someone slaps you do u run to God (your moral source) to know if it pains u or not? Is it the same God that will still tell you that when u slap another person it wull pain him?

1 Like

Re: NL Atheists, On What Basis Do You Define Right And Wrong? by PastorAIO: 9:26am On Jan 25, 2018
U
frank317:

How do u differentiate what is right or wrong?

When someone slaps you do u run to God (your moral source) to know if it pains u or not? Is it the same God that will still tell you that when u slap another person it wull pain him?

I believe that what you're referring to here is Empathy. The natural human ability to feel what others are feeling. Even babies.

If you spank one baby in the presence of another they will both cry. The one that wasn't spanked may even cry more sef.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NL Atheists, On What Basis Do You Define Right And Wrong? by frank317: 10:21am On Jan 25, 2018
PastorAIO:
U

I believe that what you're referring to here is Empathy. The natural human ability to feel what others are feeling. Even babies.

If you spank one baby in the presence of another they will both cry. The one that wasn't flanked may even cry more sef.

exactly... I will need the op to tell me if it is his God that tells the other baby to cry
Re: NL Atheists, On What Basis Do You Define Right And Wrong? by PastorAIO: 11:36am On Jan 25, 2018
frank317:

exactly... I will need the op to tell me if it is his God that tells the other baby to cry

You know the flip side of this argument though. That is that our natural tendency as moral beings can serve as an explanation for why one would invent a God. The God allows for the fact that Morality, though personal and subjective, is felt with such imperative authority.

It's like those diagrams where the viewer sees lines that aren't there because the few lines that are suggest the non existent lines very strongly. We constantly create illusions to complete a picture or scenario to our satisfaction.

1 Like

Re: NL Atheists, On What Basis Do You Define Right And Wrong? by rekinomtla(m): 12:00pm On Jan 25, 2018
There is no such thing as right and wrong in the cult of atheism. anything goes when it comes to morals, you can practice beastialty, homosexuality and commit adultery without having to consider whether it is right or wrong. Some people may say bestiality is wrong while others may say the exact opposite. To an atheist that is just a difference of opinion. See for yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvRuhkF3BK4

1 Like

Re: NL Atheists, On What Basis Do You Define Right And Wrong? by vaxx: 12:01pm On Jan 25, 2018
PastorAIO:
U

If you spank one baby in the presence of another they will both cry. The one that wasn't spanked may even cry more sef.
Are you suggesting babies are born with moral code?
Re: NL Atheists, On What Basis Do You Define Right And Wrong? by PastorAIO: 12:13pm On Jan 25, 2018
vaxx:
Are you suggesting babies are born with moral code?

Humans are born with a moral instinct. (I make a difference between morality and empathy, by the way, just so you know).

The exact moral code that is then articulated would depend on many other factors.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NL Atheists, On What Basis Do You Define Right And Wrong? by vaxx: 12:45pm On Jan 25, 2018
PastorAIO:

Humans are born with a moral instinct. (I make a difference between morality and empathy, by the way, just so you know).

The exact moral code that is then articulated would depend on many other factors.
Moral instinct.... elucidate
Re: NL Atheists, On What Basis Do You Define Right And Wrong? by PastorAIO: 1:15pm On Jan 25, 2018
vaxx:
Moral instinct.... elucidate

The Moral instinct manifests as tendency to place Things and events and actions somewhere along a scale of values whereby The most preferred things are place at the top and are called Good or Ideal while the least valued things are placed at the bottom and are called bad or evil.

For example, Rape is an action. For some people it can be placed at the very bottom of the scale of values whereby it is the least desirable thing to do or to witness. On the other hand some other people can place it higher on the scale and even boast about how many women they would rape. They see it as a high value activity. For instance when the Germans lost the WWII and the Russians approached Berlin, they went on a raping spree. They felt quite justified in doing so after all the things that the Nazis had done to them.

In both these cases there is a Moral Instinct, a ladder of values. However the difference between them is that they place the same events on different positions on the scale. Absolutely every human being is Moral, ie has the moral instinct. The only difference is that they arrange things on the ladder differently.

3 Likes

Re: NL Atheists, On What Basis Do You Define Right And Wrong? by vaxx: 5:02pm On Jan 25, 2018
PastorAIO:

The Moral instinct manifests as tendency to place Things and events and actions somewhere along a scale of values whereby The most preferred things are place at the top and are called Good or Ideal while the least valued things are placed at the bottom and are called bad or evil.

For example, Rape is an action. For some people it can be placed at the very bottom of the scale of values whereby it is the least desirable thing to do or to witness. On the other hand some other people can place it higher on the scale and even boast about how many women they would rape. They see it as a high value activity. For instinct when the Germans lost the WWII and the Russians approached Berlin, they went on a raping spree. They felt quite justified in doing so after all the things that the Nazis had done to them.

In both these cases there is a Moral Instinct, a ladder of values. However the difference between them is that they place the same events on different positions on the scale. Absolutely every human being is Moral, ie has the moral instinct. The only difference is that they arrange things on the ladder differently.
you do not answer my question? the bone of discussion is if baby are really born with moral instinct?.. am not asking you how moral instinct manifest....

Baby are born blank, meaning without knowledge or experience.... so how can a baby manifest an instinct he or she lack knowledge about? if you agree that baby can put good and evil on a scale of preferences, then you are suggesting that baby can rationalize. which will also mean they are aware of their physical environment.

this is not true. we are like animals, we are born naturally with survival and self-interest instinct only. that is why baby are naturally sell-fish but as we survive via the evolutionary process, our greater capacity for rational thought developed and It is by way of rational thought that we learn the concept of morality base on the society we find ourselves.....the same morality here birth culture and norms... what we accept objectively as way of life becomes our value. in Rome, it is believed that the left hand is the right place to put on engagement ring because it is close to the heart while in Germany, engagement rings are place on right hand.... so by what dalaman say, morality is derived from the society in which individual find themselves . developmental psychology says that our moral occur overtime, meaning we have to learn it and not born with it...

if there is anything baby are born with, i will argue and say it is xenophobic... fear of out groups as out group are generally competitors for scarce resources..

read this book, the secret lives of the brain by David Eagleman

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NL Atheists, On What Basis Do You Define Right And Wrong? by budaatum: 5:20pm On Jan 25, 2018
vaxx:
you do not answer my question? the bone of discussion is if baby are really born with moral instinct?.. am not asking you how moral instinct manifest....

Baby are born blank, meaning without knowledge or experience.... so how can a baby manifest an instinct he or she lack knowledge about? if you agree that baby can put good and evil on a scale of preferences, then you are suggesting that baby can rationalize. which will also mean they are aware of their physical environment.

this is not true. we are like animals, we are born naturally with survival and self-interest instinct only. that is why baby are naturally sell-fish but as we survive via the evolutionary process, our greater capacity for rational thought developed and It is by way of rational thought that we learn the concept of morality base on the society we find ourselves.....the same morality here birth culture and norms... what we accept objectively as way of life becomes our value. in Rome, it is believed that the left hand is the right place to put on engagement ring because it is close to the heart while in Germany, engagement rings are place on right hand.... so by what dalaman say morality is derived from the society in which individual find themselves . developmental psychology says that our moral occur overtime, meaning we have to learn it and not born with it...

if there is anything baby are born with, i will argue and say it is xenophobic... fear of out groups as out group are generally competitors for scarce resources..

read this book, the secret lives of the brain by David Eagleman

Read 3 times. Tried hard to disagree. Failed miserably. Well done!

2 Likes

Re: NL Atheists, On What Basis Do You Define Right And Wrong? by vaxx: 5:23pm On Jan 25, 2018
budaatum:

Read 3 times. Tried hard to disagree. Failed miserably. Well done!
thanks bro
Re: NL Atheists, On What Basis Do You Define Right And Wrong? by GideonG(m): 6:52pm On Jan 25, 2018
Wisdom is the answer, Your conscience directs you at reflex action. You might still not understand but you need more KNOWLEDGE. Believe your knowledge is limited so desire to know more!

1 Like

Re: NL Atheists, On What Basis Do You Define Right And Wrong? by PastorAIO: 6:58pm On Jan 25, 2018
vaxx:

]

Please follow closely.

PastorAIO:

Humans are born with a moral instinct.
(I make a difference between morality and empathy, by the way, just so you know).

Re: NL Atheists, On What Basis Do You Define Right And Wrong? by PastorAIO: 7:05pm On Jan 25, 2018
vaxx:

You're welcome to provide any evidence for what you say here but for me all my experience tells me this is nonsense.
Re: NL Atheists, On What Basis Do You Define Right And Wrong? by PastorAIO: 7:58pm On Jan 25, 2018
GideonG:
Wisdom is the answer, Your conscience directs you at reflex action. You might still not understand but you need more KNOWLEDGE. Believe your knowledge is limited so desire to know more!

If you are saying what I think that you're saying then I fully applaud.
Re: NL Atheists, On What Basis Do You Define Right And Wrong? by PastorAIO: 8:11pm On Jan 25, 2018
vaxx:

Baby are born blank, meaning without knowledge or experience
.... so how can a baby manifest an instinct he or she lack knowledge about? if you agree that baby can put good and evil on a scale of preferences, then you are suggesting that baby can rationalize. which will also mean they are aware of their physical environment.

Even my own anecdotal experience tells me that this is rubbish. When a new born baby comes back home from hospital, straight away you can tell it's unique personality. Some babies are quieter. Some make more noise and babble alot, others cry more, some laugh alot etc etc etc

The personality and the mind has begun to be establish from before birth. But in case you don't believe me you can look at clinical evidence by doctors and scientists.

Research indicates that even before birth, mothers' moods may affect child development," comments Dr. Catherine Monk, a researcher at Columbia University. In summarizing Monk's work, Anne Murphy Paul in her recent cover story for Time magazine writes, "that a pregnant women's mental state can shape her offspring's psyche." These observations and those of others investigating fetal origins, the study of how the nine months of gestation influences physical, mental, intellectual, and emotional functioning, mirror empirical observations long noted by mental health providers.

I write about such observations in my recent book, The Favorite Child. One couple, Carla and Tom, had worked with me to explore their feeling about having children. They did have children and about twenty years later contacted me because of concern for their older daughter Peggy: for the prior several summers, on the eve of leaving home to study abroad or for internships in remote cities, she became so anxious that she could not carry out her plans. Her jealousy for her younger sister, who did study in Europe and had summer jobs in exotic settings, created family tension.

In the family sessions that ensued, Carla and Tom reminisced about their excitement when pregnant with Peggy. Tom, insisting on being an active participant in the pregnancy, decided that he wanted the fetus to be as familiar with his heartbeat as it was with his wife's. Thus, he placed his heart on his wife's stomach each night before going to sleep and each morning before getting out of bed. In that position he declared his love for the fetus and his wife, always ending with the words, "Little One...we will always be one, a united family."

In the seventh month of pregnancy, Tom left on a two-week business trip. While he was gone, the fetus kicked endlessly, creating distress for Carla. She endured sleepless nights and struggle through the days, tired and uncomfortable. When Tom returned home and resumed the ritual of placing his heart on Carla's stomach and whispering his loving words, the fetus immediately calmed down.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-favorite-child/201010/personality-begins-birth

Many of the things that a pregnant mother feels, the baby also feels too. They share many hormones etc. If the mother does drugs the mental development of the child might be impaired. If the mother is surrounded by music which the baby can hear in the womb, the baby is more likely to be born with an ear for music.
Re: NL Atheists, On What Basis Do You Define Right And Wrong? by PastorAIO: 8:19pm On Jan 25, 2018
vaxx:

Baby are born blank, meaning without knowledge or experience....
so how can a baby manifest an instinct he or she lack knowledge about? if you agree that baby can put good and evil on a scale of preferences, then you are suggesting that baby can rationalize. which will also mean they are aware of their physical environment.

Compare the Red and the Purple, and tell me, are theses two statements not contradictory. It is either that babies are born with predispositions or they are not. What is it?

You don't need a posteriori knowledge to exercise your moral instinct
In fact the sheer fact that it is an instinct means that there isn't really a thought process behind it at it's most basic level.

yes, babies are aware of their environment from within the womb. This is aptly demonstrated in the article I quoted above.
Re: NL Atheists, On What Basis Do You Define Right And Wrong? by buffalowings: 8:22pm On Jan 25, 2018
budaatum:

I was taught by my parents, to start with, to say please and thank you, not to pick my nose in public and to respect others. I know it hurts if you slapped me so I reckon it would hurt you if I slapped you so I don't go about slapping people, or killing them, for that matter. If I came home and found you screwing my partner, I don't think I'd want you coming to my house anymore. I'd feel the same if you ate my dinner or stole my shoes, and I think you'd feel the same if you came home and found me eating your partner or screwing your dinner or stealing your shoes, and besides, I kind of like you as a fellow human being, so I wouldn't do things to you or my dog, for that matter, that I would not like to be done to me. I know that you have feelings just as I do and what would hurt me might hurt you too so why be a prick towards you when I wouldn't willingly prick myself?

If I was a prick all the time, no one would like me and I'd have no friends, and I like having friends and I like sleeping at night safe in my bed, so why be a prick and have to stay up all night making sure I am protected from the consequences of my prickiness? Did I like myself when in the past, I took what belonged to another without their permission? And even though they did not know I took it, did I not know, and did I not hide myself away in shame knowing full well what I had done? Was the fact that I lost a valuable friend worth it in the end, and have I not learnt from the experience? Has atheism made me so stupid that I would think I now get to do whatever I wanted without considering the consequences of my prickiness? And more importantly, do I not mind or care about the consequences at all?

Experience, and knowledge gained from it and the society one belongs to, my friend, teaches one what is good and what is evil. Life itself would soon set me straight when my prickiness turns me into budanomates!
Gbam
Oya make dem close thread.
Re: NL Atheists, On What Basis Do You Define Right And Wrong? by budaatum: 9:13pm On Jan 25, 2018
PastorAIO:

Compare the Red and the Purple, and tell me, are theses two statements not contradictory. It is either that babies are born with predispositions or they are not. What is it?

You don't need a posteriori knowledge to exercise your moral instinct
In fact the sheer fact that it is an instinct means that there isn't really a thought process behind it at it's most basic level.

yes, babies are aware of their environment from within the womb. This is aptly demonstrated in the article I quoted above.
Hello old timer. Those two statements are indeed contradictory. He did however qualify with the 'If', which sort of implies that he isn't asserting it as a given fact (which I doubt it is).

Personally I don't think babies have any instinct apart from to breath, to eat and to poo.

I can't believe I am defending vaxx. There must be something in the water!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NL Atheists, On What Basis Do You Define Right And Wrong? by budaatum: 9:19pm On Jan 25, 2018
PastorAIO:

Even my own anecdotal experience tells me that this is rubbish. When a new born baby comes back home from hospital, straight away you can tell it's unique personality. Some babies are quieter. Some make more noise and babble alot, others cry more, some laugh alot etc etc etc

The personality and the mind has begun to be establish from before birth. But in case you don't believe me you can look at clinical evidence by doctors and scientists.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-favorite-child/201010/personality-begins-birth

Many of the things that a pregnant mother feels, the baby also feels too. They share many hormones etc. If the mother does drugs the mental development of the child might be impaired. If the mother is surrounded by music which the baby can hear in the womb, the baby is more likely to be born with an ear for music.

Are these examples not due to the environment, and socialisation? It is indeed known that pregnant woman who listens to music or takes coke is more likely to have a child who likes music, or adopts a coke dependency. Is this not learned behaviour, albeit pre-birth? It's not like the baby has any consciousness of it though.
Re: NL Atheists, On What Basis Do You Define Right And Wrong? by vaxx: 9:32pm On Jan 25, 2018
PastorAIO:

you have given me about four mentions.....but i will only reply to this since i assume is the most relevant....

DO not confuse hormones or genetic transfer to knowledge.....knowledge is what we learn over time base on experience and practice.... so tell me how a toddler is knowledgeable? the idea to rationalize wrong and right is given by the society and not from the womb....

An extrovert parent may possibly give birth to extrovert child and vice versa . this is a biological factor and has nothing to do with knowledge. unless you are suggesting that a doctor can give birth to already made doctor? the only skills all baby can do is to cry, grasp and suck... every other thing is learn....depending on the genes transfer to the baby by his parent will determine how fast or quick the baby will assimilate .therefore personality function and cognitive are already decided by our generic heritage and biological factor.

''The brain itself has blank-slate-like properties (5). This phenomenon was studied most extensively for cortical cells that initially do not know what they are supposed to do but develop a rapport with neighboring cells, responding most strongly to those that stimulate them the most. This means that if a person were to lose a finger, the parts of the cortex that had represented that finger will likely start responding to input from another finger'' by David eagle an authority on biological science

i will adviceyou to read on from here.....

5 Kalisman, N., Silberberg, G., and Markram, H. (2005). The neocortical microcircuit as a tabula rasa. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 102, 880-885.

morality itself pass through evolutionary stage, the spread of human race all over the continent also shape what we term morality today, how those it begin ?..... survival was the major factor ... the strive for little resources (crop) birth writing system so that we can keep track of them , keeping our selfish desire in control birth army ,lastly the administration of the crops birth politics... this how society was form so that humanity can survive....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NL Atheists, On What Basis Do You Define Right And Wrong? by danvon(m): 9:39pm On Jan 25, 2018
vaxx:
you have given me about four mentions.....but i will only reply to this since i assume is the most relevant....

DO not confuse hormones or genetic transfer to knowledge.....knowledge is what we learn over time base on experience and practice.... so tell me how a toddler is knowledgeable? the idea to rationalize wrong and right is given by the society and not from the womb....

An extrovert parent may possibly give birth to extrovert child and vice versa . this is a biological factor and has nothing to do with knowledge. unless you are suggesting that a doctor can give birth to already made doctor? the only skills all baby can do is to cry, grasp and suck... every other thing is learn....depending on the genes transfer to the baby by his parent will determine how fast or quick the baby will assimilate .therefore personality function and cognitive are already decided by our generic heritage and biological factor.

''The brain itself has blank-slate-like properties (5). This phenomenon was studied most extensively for cortical cells that initially do not know what they are supposed to do but develop a rapport with neighboring cells, responding most strongly to those that stimulate them the most. This means that if a person were to lose a finger, the parts of the cortex that had represented that finger will likely start responding to input from another finger'' by David eagle an authority on biological science

i will advice to read on from here.....

5 Kalisman, N., Silberberg, G., and Markram, H. (2005). The neocortical microcircuit as a tabula rasa. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 102, 880-885.

morality itself pass through evolutionary stage, the spread of human race all over the continent also shape what we term morality today, how those it begin ?..... survival was the major factor ... the strive for little resources (crop) birth writing system so that we can keep track of them , keeping our selfish desire in control birth army ,lastly the administration of the crops birth politics... this how society was form so that humanity can survive....

Wow impressive morality was created for survival of humanity,
Then I guess things like men raping women is surely a good thing since it helps produce more babies and continue human survival.
I love atheism
Re: NL Atheists, On What Basis Do You Define Right And Wrong? by vaxx: 9:45pm On Jan 25, 2018
danvon:
Wow impressive morality was created for survival of humanity,
Then I guess things like men raping women is surely a good thing since it helps produce more babies and continue human survival.
I love atheism
i am not an atheist....do you read my post......morality passes through evolutionary stages'' there use to be time when what you consider evil today were dully right....
Re: NL Atheists, On What Basis Do You Define Right And Wrong? by PastorAIO: 9:46pm On Jan 25, 2018
vaxx:

A toddler is knowledgeable because it knows the familiarity of it's father's voice as in the example I gave.

The toddler is 9months in the womb which is a time span, is it not. So therefore it does learn 'over time and based on experience'

There is no society in the womb yet the babies personality is influenced by events in the womb. In the womb the baby dislikes the absence of the father's voice. It can be soothed by hearing music, so many many events occur to a baby in the womb that shape it's mind and yet there is no society in the womb.
Re: NL Atheists, On What Basis Do You Define Right And Wrong? by danvon(m): 9:50pm On Jan 25, 2018
vaxx:
i am not an atheist....do you read my post......morality passes through evolutionary stages'' there use to be time when what you consider evil today were dully right....
Morality is religion different religions different morality. E.g in Calabar traditionalist killing twins Good cheesy not killing twins bad angry When Christianity dominated the people killing twins bad angry not killing twins good smiley there's no stages involved it's simply a change of dominant religion
Re: NL Atheists, On What Basis Do You Define Right And Wrong? by PastorAIO: 9:56pm On Jan 25, 2018
vaxx:

Cha! so much straw!!

I didn't say anything about inherited traits like extroversion. I was talking about morality which I defined as a scale of preferences.

Being a Doctor is a totally different kind of knowledge from being a moral person. This your Doctor example na real wa!

"all a baby can do its 'cry, grasp and suck". The baby also smiles when it is delighted. It sleeps when it is soothed with music, it blinks when lights are too bright and many many other things. These are reactions to it's environment that are instinctual, nobody teaches you to blink at bright lights, or sneeze with your nose is irritated.

There are all actions done with the intention to improve the state of affairs. So bright lights are lower in the preference scale so the baby blinks to keep out the light. This improves things.
An itchy nose is unpleasant, low down in the value scale. Sneezing raises the state of affairs to a situation higher up the value scale.

Do you get that? A baby values a full stomach higher than an empty stomach. It values the presence of it's mother over the absence of his mother. etc. Distinctions are made between every experience by sticking them somewhere on the value scale.
Re: NL Atheists, On What Basis Do You Define Right And Wrong? by vaxx: 10:01pm On Jan 25, 2018
danvon:
Morality is religion different religions different morality. E.g in Calabar traditionalist killing twins Good cheesy not killing twins bad angry When Christianity dominated the people killing twins bad angry not killing twins good smiley there's no stages involved it's simply a change of dominant religion
thank you sir.....i will only give you one example out of numerous example. in the old testament... the bases of morality falls on 10 commandment but in the new testament it was change and Jesus declare that love supersed law . even in the bible morality experience evolution
Re: NL Atheists, On What Basis Do You Define Right And Wrong? by frank317: 10:05pm On Jan 25, 2018
PastorAIO:

Cha! so much straw!!

I didn't say anything about inherited traits like extroversion. I was talking about morality which I defined as a scale of preferences.

Being a Doctor is a totally different kind of knowledge from being a moral person. This your Doctor example na real wa!

"all a baby can do its 'cry, grasp and suck". The baby also smiles when it is delighted. It sleeps when it is soothed with music, it blinks when lights are too bright and many many other things. These are reactions to it's environment that are instinctual, nobody teaches you to blink at bright lights, or sneeze with your nose is irritated.

There are all actions done with the intention to improve the state of affairs. So bright lights are lower in the preference scale so the baby blinks to keep out the light. This improves things.
An itchy nose is unpleasant, low down in the value scale. Sneezing raises the state of affairs to a situation higher up the value scale.

Do you get that? A baby values a full stomach higher than an empty stomach. It values the presence of it's mother over the absence of his mother. etc. Distinctions are made between every experience by sticking them somewhere on the value scale.

A baby also cries when hungry. It cries when pinched. But after all these... when it grows, it still needs God to tell it that taking anothers food will make the person hungry hence its a bad thing.

Tomorrow another educated person will ask how atheists define right or wrong as if athiests are aliens.

1 Like

Re: NL Atheists, On What Basis Do You Define Right And Wrong? by danvon(m): 10:05pm On Jan 25, 2018
vaxx:
thank you sir.....i will only give you one example out of numerous example. in the old testament... the bases of morality falls on 10 commandment but in the new testament it was change and Jesus declare that love superseded law . even in the bible morality experience evolution
Jesus said love superseded he didn't say throw away the ten commandments they asked which one is the greatest

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Noah's Ark: Man's Greatest Invention Of All Time! (Real Photos) / Atheism Vs Deism (vs Theism) / Why I Want to Abandon Christainity!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.