Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,402 members, 7,812,184 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:41 AM

IPOB Loses Suit Against Nigerian Army To Produce Kanu. - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / IPOB Loses Suit Against Nigerian Army To Produce Kanu. (19007 Views)

Adebayo Shittu Loses Suit Against APC Over "NYSC Certificate" / Biafra: Why I Cannot Produce Kanu For Trial, Buratai Tells Court / 'You Cannot Withdraw Your Surety Until You Produce Kanu' - Judge Tells Abaribe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: IPOB Loses Suit Against Nigerian Army To Produce Kanu. by zendy: 9:19pm On Jan 27, 2018
brightalo17:

Listen go and read that link I sent to you and stop this dump argument , once you tell someone you'll kill him or her it has become a threat to his or her life ... Be it in writing or speech , that the person don't want to take you up is a different thing altogether.

I told you Defamation is against the law you can call it civil or criminal all I said is it is against the law so as telling someone you'll kill him.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A true threat is a threatening communication that can be prosecuted under the law. It is distinct from a threat that is made in jest. The U.S. Supreme Court has held that true threats are not protected under the U.S. Constitution based on three justifications: preventing fear, preventing the disruption that follows from that fear, and diminishing the likelihood that the threatened violence will occur.[1] There is some concern that even satirical speech could be regarded as a "true threat" due to concern over terrorism.[2]

The true threat doctrine was established in the 1969 Supreme Court case Watts v. United States.[3] In that case, an eighteen-year-old male was convicted in a Washington, D.C. District Court for violating a statute prohibiting persons from knowingly and willfully making threats to harm or kill the President of the United States.[3] The conviction was based on a statement made by Watts, in which he said, "[i]f they ever make me carry a rifle the first man I want to get in my sights is L.B.J

Let just assume everything you said is true. Let us agree for a moment that verbal threat without action is indeed a criminal offence.

That means you and I and every other Nigerian should report to nearest police station immidiately. There is no adult Nigerian out there that has not said "I will kill you today" to another person, wether jokingly, in anger, in jest, in passing or otherwise. We have all at one time or another threatend to kill someone.

My neighbour just yesterday said to his son "I will kill you today for not doing your homework". Maybe I should go to report him to the police for threatening to kill his son?

Breach of the law must be an act, it cannot be mere words alone. Defamation is not a crime, it is a civil offence that has nothing to do with Police.
Re: IPOB Loses Suit Against Nigerian Army To Produce Kanu. by brightalo17: 9:52pm On Jan 27, 2018
zendy:

Let just assume everything you said is true. Let us agree for a moment that verbal threat without action is indeed a criminal offence.

That means you and I and every other Nigerian should report to nearest police station immidiately. There is no adult Nigerian out there that has not said "I will kill you today" to another person, wether jokingly, in anger, in jest, in passing or otherwise. We have all at one time or another threatend to kill someone.

My neighbour just yesterday said to his son "I will kill you today for not doing your homework". Maybe I should go to report him to the police for threatening to kill his son?

Breach of the law must be an act, it cannot be mere words alone. Defamation is not a crime, it is a civil offence that has nothing to do with Police.

God , guy you need to be wise while making argument online. so that you'll not be talking off point haba.

Let me tell you this again if you threatened someone that you'll kill him and the person go and report you to the police, the police will invite you for questioning and charge you to court then the court will judge you with the act base on evidence provided, thereby looking on various intents and what caused such threats on the person.

That you hear people or your neighbor saying it to his son , is like telling me that because you steal meat from your mom's pot of soup made stealing a good act. if you are telling your guys you'll kill them they will always take it as a joke, if you see two people fighting along on the street and start saying they'll kill each other of course that is a threat and it all depends on them to report it before police will act.

Don't use because Nigerian law is not working as it supposed to and think those things are not against the law, in countries where there laws works just go and threaten someone that you'll kill him and let him report you , then you'll understand if is is against the law or not

KANU and BUHARI where not in joking terms for him to tell him he will kill him.
Re: IPOB Loses Suit Against Nigerian Army To Produce Kanu. by zendy: 11:34pm On Jan 27, 2018
brightalo17:

God , guy you need to be wise while making argument online. so that you'll not be talking off point haba.

Let me tell you this again if you threatened someone that you'll kill him and the person go and report you to the police, the police will invite you for questioning and charge you to court then the court will judge you with the act base on evidence provided, thereby looking on various intents and what caused such threats on the person.

That you hear people or your neighbor saying it to his son , is like telling me that because you steal meat from your mom's pot of soup made stealing a good act. if you are telling your guys you'll kill them they will always take it as a joke, if you see two people fighting along on the street and start saying they'll kill each other of course that is a threat and it all depends on them to report it before police will act.

Don't use because Nigerian law is not working as it supposed to and think those things are not against the law, in countries where there laws works just go and threaten someone that you'll kill him and let him report you , then you'll understand if is is against the law or not

KANU and BUHARI where not in joking terms for him to tell him he will kill him.

Lol

Shifting goal post. First you say that it is a criminal offence for anyone to say they will kill another, now it has changed to if it is said to friends or if it is said to enemies? Where have you heard in Nigeria that someone was convicted for saying they will kill another? What evidence can be brought to court in such a case, the persons breath? How can any intention be established without being inside the persons head? Who have you ever heard was charged to court based on verbal threat alone? The reason it is not possible to do so is because under chapter 4 of the Nigerian constitution, everyone is allowed freedom of speech as long as long as the speech is not used to break the law or cause violence. Freedom of speech is enshrined in the constitution.

It doesnt matter if Kanu said he going to kill Buhari or Donald Trump, what matters is if he actually took any action in that regards. Yes Kanu can be arrested and investigated for saying he will kill someone, anybody be arrested. But nobody can be charged to court for talking.The courts are interested in actions, not spoken words. Breach of the law must include an act, it is not about spoken words

I rest my case
Re: IPOB Loses Suit Against Nigerian Army To Produce Kanu. by brightalo17: 1:23am On Jan 28, 2018
zendy:

Lol

Shifting goal post. First you say that it is a criminal offence for anyone to say they will kill another, now it has changed to if it is said to friends or if it is said to enemies? Where have you heard in Nigeria that someone was convicted for saying they will kill another? What evidence can be brought to court in such a case, the persons breath? How can any intention be established without being inside the persons head? Who have you ever heard was charged to court based on verbal threat alone? The reason it is not possible to do so is because under chapter 4 of the Nigerian constitution, everyone is allowed freedom of speech as long as long as the speech is not used to break the law or cause violence. Freedom of speech is enshrined in the constitution.

It doesnt matter if Kanu said he going to kill Buhari or Donald Trump, what matters is if he actually took any action in that regards. Yes Kanu can be arrested and investigated for saying he will kill someone, anybody be arrested. But nobody can be charged to court for talking.The courts are interested in actions, not spoken words. Breach of the law must include an act, it is not about spoken words

I rest my case

Since you are too lazy to google it , you can now argue with facts.

A death threat can be communicated via a wide range of media, among these letters, newspaper publications, telephone calls, internet blogs,[2] and e-mail. If the threat is made against a political figure, it can also be considered treason. If a threat is against a non-living location that frequently contains living individuals (e.g. a building), it could be a terrorist threat. Sometimes, death threats are part of a wider campaign of abuse targeting a person or a group of people (see terrorism, mass murder).

Here is an example of an actual death threat, from the book Wordcrime by John Olsson. This is a genuine example from a criminal case, provided by the Forensic Linguistics Institute, which analyzes all kinds of text, including traditional letters, ransoms, hate mail, various texts via mobile phones; SMS devices, etc., for authorship:

Boris: I am one of the 4 employees still in the office. I have withheld my identity because I have realised that nothing is a secret any more, the author of the anonymous doc is now a public information. I write as a matter of genuine concern. We in the office are convinced that there is a real threat at your life, some mysterious people are looking for you (different people at different times). They are not genuine people. The cops are also looking for you, they say they want to return you to court, they look like there is more than meets the eye or more that we know of. regards

Against a head of state[edit]
In some monarchies and republics, both democratic and authoritarian, threatening to kill the head of state and/or head of government (such as the sovereign, president, or prime minister), is considered a crime and a Class E felony, for which punishments vary. The United States law provides for up to five years in prison for threatening any type of government official.[3] In the United Kingdom, under the Treason Felony Act 1848, it is illegal to attempt to kill or deprive the monarch of his/her throne; this offense was originally punished with penal transportation, and then was changed to the death penalty, and currently the penalty is life imprisonment.

Finish reading it and then tell me where the goal post has changed to.
Re: IPOB Loses Suit Against Nigerian Army To Produce Kanu. by brightalo17: 1:34am On Jan 28, 2018
zendy:

Lol

I rest my case

https://criminal-law.freeadvice.com/criminal-law/violent_crimes/criminal-threats.htm

After reading the below you'll then tell me where they told you that threats to life can only be punishable unless if the person accomplish his threat.

Criminal threats are words that are spoken with the intent to terrorize or threaten another person or group of people. Even though the Constitution guarantees the right to free speech, including venting negative comments, the right to free speech does not extend to criminal threats. If a person is reckless about the impact of his threats on other people, he could be charged with a misdemeanor or felony level offense called criminal threat. Read on to learn more about how states charge the offense of criminal threat and the punishment ranges of a conviction for making criminal threats.

What Constitutes a Criminal Threat?
As mentioned, criminal threats are one of the few types of speech that are not protected by the Constitution. In order to support a conviction for criminal threat, states have to show an interest in regulating a particular type of speech. As a result, criminal threat statutes are written to prohibit speech that results in others being placed in a legitimate fear of harm. Some states label this charge criminal threat, whereas others use terroristic threat or verbal abuse to describe offenses involving verbal threats. The first element of a criminal threat charge is that a threat has to be made or communicated.

States will usually lump several different types of threats into their criminal threat statutes. Common categories of threats include: threats directed to harm another, threats to disrupt a public facility or public utility, threats directed towards witnesses or law enforcement, and threats against family members.

Sometimes the threats overlap. For example a threat to harm another may also naturally overlap with a threat to harm a family member. Even though the threats overlap, the distinctions are important because certain findings (like involving a threat against a family member) can result in a higher punishment range. Most states will not restrict the method of threat. The threat can be communicated in person, over the phone, or via electronic media.

The next element of a criminal threat charge is the intent. It’s not enough that a threat was communicated. There must be some evidence that the defendant actually intended a result. The type of threat made will control what type of intent is required. For threats to another, a family member, witness, or law enforcement officer, a defendant must have made the threat with the intent to terrorize or place the victim in some real fear of personal harm. For threats to public utilities or public offices, the intent must be to disrupt the ordinary activities of the agency or utility company.

The focus is on what the defendant intended the victim to feel. Criminal threat statutes punish the result of the threat, not the actual intent behind the threat. This means that the intent element will be satisfied if a defendant just intended to scare the victim, but never actually intended to harm the victim. Actual intent to harm is not a requirement of a criminal threat allegation. Some state statutes end with these two elements, a threat and an intent to terrorize. However, other states add additional requirements.

Some states require that victims of a threat experience a fear for their personal safety. California also requires additional evidence that the fear experienced by the victim was reasonable under the circumstances. Each state will set out what threats and situations will qualify for a criminal threat offense. The degree and type of threat will often influence the level of punishment.

Defensive Theories for a Criminal Threat Offense
The first defensive reaction is to claim freedom of speech. This defense has been utilized with some degree of success under the right circumstances. If a defendant can show that the threat was mere venting of anger or frustration with no other intent or reaction by a victim, then a defendant can invoke a freedom of speech defense because the only thing being punished is the speech—not the intent or the reaction.

A second defensive theory is to attempt to negate the intent of the threat. Often words are spoken with more than one meaning and only the whole context of the statement can truly capture the intent of the threat. For example, the phrase “I’m going to kick your butt,” can be interpreted playfully in the context of a basketball game. It can also be interpreted aggressively if others are having to hold a defendant back from also attacking a victim. The defensive strategy is to fill in the remaining pieces so that a jury gets a complete picture of the statement so that they understand that the true intent of the statement was not to terrorize.

Punishment Ranges for a Criminal Threat Offense
Minor threats tend to be classified as misdemeanor offenses. A misdemeanor criminal threat charge carries a range of punishment from probation to a year in a county or parish jail. More intense threats directed toward witnesses, family members, or law enforcement tend to be elevated to felony offenses in many state penal codes. Felony criminal threat convictions have a range of punishment from probation up to ten years in prison, with an optional fine. Defendants placed on probation are usually required to attend some type of anger management program and are prohibited from having any contact with the victim of the criminal threat.

The consequences of a criminal threat offense continue even after conviction. Many states will consider a criminal threat conviction a violent offense, which will increase the range of punishment for any subsequent convictions. If the criminal threat was directed to a family member, then the conviction can also be used in some states as a predicate offense for an enhanced assault family violence charge; meaning that the misdemeanor assault family violence charge will be enhanced to a felony by the prior conviction.
Re: IPOB Loses Suit Against Nigerian Army To Produce Kanu. by brightalo17: 1:50am On Jan 28, 2018
zendy:

Lol

I rest my case

I'll challenge you with facts till you open yours eyes. Now this page is also telling you that even a threat [b]TO [/b]damage someone's property is an offense, not even that you've already carried out the threat.

https://www.lawhandbook.sa.gov.au/ch12s05s01s10.php

Unlawful Threats
What is a threat?

A threat is any communication indicating an intention to do harm. It can be communicated directly or indirectly either by words (whether written or spoken) or by conduct, or a combination of both [Criminal Law Consolidation Act (SA) s19 (3)]. For example, driving a motor vehicle at high speed on the wrong side of the road and stopping just short of another car can constitute a threat [see South Australian Police v Bednarz (SASC, 17 February 1995, Jud No S4959, unreported)].

In determining whether words or actions constitute a threat there is a difference between an intention to cause harm, and someone who is merely “sounding off” who does not intend to create any fear. For example a statement 'I feel like I could kill my husband' could be interpreted as an expression of emotions, whereas 'I want to kill my husband' is a threat to do harm.

The threat does not need to be directed at the person who heard it (see for example Carter v R (1994) 176 LSJS 112).

Threaten death

It is an offence if a person, without lawful excuse:

threatens to kill or endanger the life of another; and
intends to create a fear that the threat will be carried out, or is recklessly indifferent to whether such a fear was created.
Maximum penalty:

Basic offence: 10 years imprisonment
Aggravated offence: 12 years imprisonment is the maximum penalty.
Examples of aggravated offences include where the victim is a child or a spouse of the defendant, or where the offence was committed intending to prevent the victim from taking legal proceedings.
[s 19(1) Criminal Law Consolidation Act 1935 (SA)]

Threaten Harm

It is an offence where a person, without lawful excuse:

threatens to cause harm to another;
intending to create a fear that the threat will be carried out, or is recklessly indifferent to whether such a fear was created.
Maximum penalty:

Basic offence: 5 years imprisonment.
Aggravated offence: 7 years imprisonment.
[Criminal Law Consolidation Act 1935 (SA) s 19(2)]

Threats to damage property

It is also an offence to make threats against the property of a person.

Maximum penalty:

Basic offence: 5 years imprisonment.
Aggravated offence: 7 years imprisonment.
Aggravated offence by threat to commit arson: 15 years imprisonment.

[Criminal Law Consolidation Act s 85(4)].

Again show me where they said the threat must be executed before it will become a crime.
Re: IPOB Loses Suit Against Nigerian Army To Produce Kanu. by brightalo17: 2:07am On Jan 28, 2018
zendy:

Lol

I rest my case

http://blogs.findlaw.com/blotter/2016/01/criminal-penalties-for-murder-threats.html

We all know you can't threaten to kill the president. But what about a normal person? Or a whole race of people? Does it matter if it was on social media? And do emojis count?

While the First Amendment protects our freedom of speech, certain speech, like threatening to kill someone, can be a step too far. Here are the penalties you could face for murder threats.

Credible Threats

State laws also prohibit threats in specific circumstances. For instance one girl in Colorado was arrested for posting a gun emoji to social media with the caption, "I have a gun in my backpack." Two other Colorado girls face felony charges of conspiracy to commit murder over an unspecified threat to a school. Under Colorado law, knowingly conveying a threat to cause death to a student, school official, or any employee of an educational institution is a class 1 misdemeanor and could mean 18 months in jail and a $5,000 fine.

keep making arguments on what you don't know , next I'll brings names of those who were jailed just for making a threat not even that they carried out the threat. you'll be right inside your room concluding things with your own mere assumption and believe without any single fact to back it.SMH.
Re: IPOB Loses Suit Against Nigerian Army To Produce Kanu. by Yyeske(m): 2:53am On Jan 28, 2018
brightalo17:

http://blogs.findlaw.com/blotter/2016/01/criminal-penalties-for-murder-threats.html

We all know you can't threaten to kill the president. But what about a normal person? Or a whole race of people? Does it matter if it was on social media? And do emojis count?

While the First Amendment protects our freedom of speech, certain speech, like threatening to kill someone, can be a step too far. Here are the penalties you could face for murder threats.

Credible Threats

State laws also prohibit threats in specific circumstances. For instance one girl in Colorado was arrested for posting a gun emoji to social media with the caption, "I have a gun in my backpack." Two other Colorado girls face felony charges of conspiracy to commit murder over an unspecified threat to a school. Under Colorado law, knowingly conveying a threat to cause death to a student, school official, or any employee of an educational institution is a class 1 misdemeanor and could mean 18 months in jail and a $5,000 fine.

keep making arguments on what you don't know , next I'll brings names of those who were jailed just for making a threat not even that they carried out the threat. you'll be right inside your room concluding things with your own mere assumption and believe without any single fact to back it.SMH.
Thanks for schooling him and others like him, this has been what so many of us have been trying to insert into their heads but an overdose of Radio Biafra news will never make them reason with their God given brains, only IPOB or Nnamdi kanu reason for them.
Re: IPOB Loses Suit Against Nigerian Army To Produce Kanu. by powerkey: 1:08pm On Jan 30, 2018
CrtlAltDel:

The poster is not Yoruba, his comment has nothing to do with Yoruba....This your hatred for Yoruba will make you impotent and die young grin grin grin

I love my Yoruba friends so much but I hate those who dont want us to unite the entire southern Nigeria......
Re: IPOB Loses Suit Against Nigerian Army To Produce Kanu. by adeolakemi: 2:25pm On Jan 30, 2018
zendy:

There is a big difference between calling for the killing of other people and actually going ahead to kill people.

Breach of the law must be an act, it cannot be just mere words. If a person or group calls for the killing of another, there are laws that regulate what happens. The person who made the call can be charged for criminal incitement, which most courts wont take serious since everyone has freedom of speech. The criminal justice system of most democratic countries, which Nigeria is amongst, are interested in what has been done, not what was said.

If the Nigerian courts were to prosecute everyone who has ever said they want to kill someone, every Nigerian would be in court or jail.

So the question of if a seperatist organisation called for the killing of anyone does not arise. If anyone calls for the killing of anyone, the authorities should take the person to court and let the courts determine if that call was wrong.

What is most important is if an organisation actually went on to kill people
you are really wasting your time educating that dunce
Re: IPOB Loses Suit Against Nigerian Army To Produce Kanu. by zendy: 2:45pm On Jan 30, 2018
brightalo17:

Credible Threats

You are laughable. Quoting American law and the law handbook as if this is the issue. This issue is very serious to resolve. Just answer two questions. If you say that verbal threat on ones life is a criminal offense:-

i) State where it says so in the 1999 constitution of the federal repuplic of Nigeria

ii) Give us one example of anyone in Nigeria since 1960 who has ever been convicted of making verbal threats to ones life in a democratic era. Since you say this is a crime and Im aware that millions of Nigerians regularly commit what you say is a crime, it should not be too hard for you to mention anyone who has been convicted for it.

If you cant anwer any of these two questions then stop making noise.
Re: IPOB Loses Suit Against Nigerian Army To Produce Kanu. by brightalo17: 4:45am On Feb 01, 2018
zendy:

You are laughable. Quoting American law and the law handbook as if this is the issue. This issue is very serious to resolve. Just answer two questions. If you say that verbal threat on ones life is a criminal offense:-

i) State where it says so in the 1999 constitution of the federal repuplic of Nigeria

ii) Give us one example of anyone in Nigeria since 1960 who has ever been convicted of making verbal threats to ones life in a democratic era. Since you say this is a crime and Im aware that millions of Nigerians regularly commit what you say is a crime, it should not be too hard for you to mention anyone who has been convicted for it.

You're too dull, I knew you'll come to ask me those questions.

Mumu..... read for yourself here after we will see and know who's making noise .

http://thenationonlineng.net/delta-man-jailed-seven-years-threat-life/

Delta: Man jailed seven years for threat to life - The Nation Nigeria
thenationonlineng.net/delta-man-jailed-seven-years-threat-life/
May 31, 2016 - Chief Magistrate Ena Odjugo found the 32 years old accused guilty on the three count charge proffered against him by prosecution and sentenced him to ... is paid and thereby committed an offence punishable under Section 406 of the Criminal Code Law, Cap C.21 Volume 1, Laws of Delta State of Nigeria,

Ode keep ranting ................................Bank Manager arraigned over alleged threat to life - Vanguard News
https://www.vanguardngr.com › News
Jan 24, 2014 - The charge read, “that you Victor O. Ayemere on 2nd day of October, 2013 in Benin City at the Oredo Magistrate's district reported a case of threat to life/ attempted kidnapping to the Commissioner of Police, Edo state Command through a written petition dated 2/10/2013, against Emekeme Joseph, knowing ...

Post Express reported on 14 January 1998 that two persons were arraigned before an Ikeja Chief Magistrate Court on a two-count charge of "conspiracy and threat to life." The charges read, in part, that the two "…'did conspire together and directly or indirectly to write a letter to Momoh [a London-based industrialist and businessman] threatening to kill him,' an offence punishable under section 323 of the criminal code, cap 31 Vol. 2, of the laws of Lagos State" (ibid.)

Boy listen there are many things going on in Nigeria which is against the law but people mostly don't have such time for court cases and they just let it go, that does not mean it is not against the law.

Some offenses you commit and police will stop you intimidate you and forcefully take huge let's say 10k bribe from you , if you have the time to go to court for that same offense take it or leave it the penalty may not even be up to 1k

Don't you know some people are in police cell beyond the given hours they supposed to spend for the offense they committed ? it is against the law but how many people do sue the police for such offenses ?

It took you almost 5 days to have something to say when I proved to you previously that I know what I'm talking about when I said threat to life is an offense, and I know it may take you forever to thank me for opening your eyes on what you never knew or heard of .

I'm still waiting for another dumb question from you . maybe you can ask me if threatening a president from the north is an offense.

NOVICE
Re: IPOB Loses Suit Against Nigerian Army To Produce Kanu. by brightalo17: 10:16am On Feb 03, 2018
zendy:

When I checked your last seen on NL it reads Time registered: July 01, 2014

Time spent online: 1 month & 21 days

Last seen: 4:17am, Which means the answer I gave to your dumb question really hit your fingers like missiles and paralyze them from typing your usual jargon , in other words all this while you're ranting simply means you were just making noise on something you don't even know.

Online warrior .SMH.
Re: IPOB Loses Suit Against Nigerian Army To Produce Kanu. by zendy: 4:50pm On Feb 04, 2018
brightalo17:

You're too dull, I knew you'll come to ask me those questions.

Mumu..... read for yourself here after we will see and know who's making noise .

http://thenationonlineng.net/delta-man-jailed-seven-years-threat-life/

Delta: Man jailed seven years for threat to life - The Nation Nigeria
thenationonlineng.net/delta-man-jailed-seven-years-threat-life/
May 31, 2016 - Chief Magistrate Ena Odjugo found the 32 years old accused guilty on the three count charge proffered against him by prosecution and sentenced him to ... is paid and thereby committed an offence punishable under Section 406 of the Criminal Code Law, Cap C.21 Volume 1, Laws of Delta State of Nigeria,

Ode keep ranting ................................Bank Manager arraigned over alleged threat to life - Vanguard News
https://www.vanguardngr.com › News
Jan 24, 2014 - The charge read, “that you Victor O. Ayemere on 2nd day of October, 2013 in Benin City at the Oredo Magistrate's district reported a case of threat to life/ attempted kidnapping to the Commissioner of Police, Edo state Command through a written petition dated 2/10/2013, against Emekeme Joseph, knowing ...

Post Express reported on 14 January 1998 that two persons were arraigned before an Ikeja Chief Magistrate Court on a two-count charge of "conspiracy and threat to life." The charges read, in part, that the two "…'did conspire together and directly or indirectly to write a letter to Momoh [a London-based industrialist and businessman] threatening to kill him,' an offence punishable under section 323 of the criminal code, cap 31 Vol. 2, of the laws of Lagos State" (ibid.)

Boy listen there are many things going on in Nigeria which is against the law but people mostly don't have such time for court cases and they just let it go, that does not mean it is not against the law.

Some offenses you commit and police will stop you intimidate you and forcefully take huge let's say 10k bribe from you , if you have the time to go to court for that same offense take it or leave it the penalty may not even be up to 1k

Don't you know some people are in police cell beyond the given hours they supposed to spend for the offense they committed ? it is against the law but how many people do sue the police for such offenses ?

It took you almost 5 days to have something to say when I proved to you previously that I know what I'm talking about when I said threat to life is an offense, and I know it may take you forever to thank me for opening your eyes on what you never knew or heard of .

I'm still waiting for another dumb question from you . maybe you can ask me if threatening a president from the north is an offense.

NOVICE

Try and get a brain. I told to answer two questions

Where does it say in the constitution the verbal threat is a criminal action

And secondly, mention examples of anyone who has been convicted of making verbal threat alone

What you then did was to cite examples of where people took action. Writting a threatening letter, attempted kidnapping, conspiring with another, these are all action.

So for the last time, I ask.

Show us where verbal threat is cited as a criminal act in the 1999 constitution

And mention anyone who was convicted of making verbal threat alone.

The reason you will never be able to will this argument is because a criminal offence must be partly or wholly an action.

Verbal threat is not an action and cannot be a criminal act. This is elementary law

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Sagay: Atiku's Lawyers Only Collected His Billions / Moghalu Remembers His Father Who ‘Never Took Bribe’ In 35 Years Of Civil Service / What Is The Consolidated Revenue Fund

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.