Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,779 members, 7,810,034 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:05 PM

Can Nigerians Pay Their Electricity Bill - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can Nigerians Pay Their Electricity Bill (4176 Views)

Nigerians Pay Highest Tariff Per Kilowatt In Africa’ / Fashola Begs Nigerians To Accept Hike In Electricity Bill / Osun’s Federal Allocation Can’t Pay Electricity Bill – Aregbesola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can Nigerians Pay Their Electricity Bill by nex(m): 7:59pm On Apr 17, 2010
Yes we can, and we will. It costs us more to run generators at some times of the day than to have constant power supply from the national grid.
Re: Can Nigerians Pay Their Electricity Bill by Nobody: 8:03pm On Apr 17, 2010
Well what you and others want is a reliable 24-hour power supply on the one hand and the current cheap subsidized price on the other. NEPA has never been able to accomplish that.
Re: Can Nigerians Pay Their Electricity Bill by Kobojunkie: 8:10pm On Apr 17, 2010
Pennywise:

I laff when I read things like this on internet. Small pikin wey no know say not be now yansh dey back. FYI, e don tay.

Small Pikin? What does that even mean? Are you saying there was NEVER a time in our past when electricity supply was not 24/7 Or are you just here to make fun of your own self with that?
Re: Can Nigerians Pay Their Electricity Bill by Pennywise(m): 10:34am On Apr 18, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Small Pikin? What does that even mean? Are you saying there was NEVER a time in our past when electricity supply was not 24/7 Or are you just here to make fun of your own self with that?
My dear Junkie, never in the history of this country has there been electricity in Nigeria 24hrs a day, 7days a week.

You have to accept that long long before Babangida became president some NLers were already here and they saw things for themselves.
Re: Can Nigerians Pay Their Electricity Bill by KnowAll(m): 11:07am On Apr 18, 2010
My dear Junkie, never in the history of this country has there been electricity in Nigeria 24hrs a day, 7days a week.

You have to accept that long long before Babangida became president some NLers were already here and they saw things for themselves

I disagree with u, during the Udoji award between September 1974 and July 1975 Nigeria was pratically the Richest Country on Earth. The Problem we have today is,  there is a whole swarth of Nigerians who have never seen the good life, in fact it has become impossible to think or fathom that this country was once the nearest thing to Eldorado. Even in the USA or UK never in the history of these nations were people's salary doubled over night. We are not talking Zimbabwe dollars here, we are talking of a Naira which was stronger than the dollar and at par with the pounds.

Those where days when Gowon paid the salaries of striking Jamican teachers. Electricity was on 24 / 7 then,  of course u have your down time like any other nation when there was a natural disaster like torrential rainfall and falling electrical poles which also happens in the West. There is no country in the world that has 24 / 7 electricity except probably Heaven.
Re: Can Nigerians Pay Their Electricity Bill by Kobojunkie: 1:45pm On Apr 18, 2010
Pennywise:

You have to accept that long long before Babangida became president some NLers were already here and they saw things for themselves.

Nigeria, prior to Babangida Governnment used to have 24/7 Electricity. If you lived in Lagos then, you would have enjoyed, 24/7 Electricity, Waste Management system, great transportation and the works. If you are lacking in knowlegde when it comes to Nigeria and the real world, go LEARN.

It is arrogance to go around assuming everyone on Nairaland is your age mate, on all levels.

KnowAll:

The Problem we have today is, there is a whole swarth of Nigerians who have never seen the good life, in fact it has become impossible to think or fathom that this country was once the nearest thing to Eldarado.

Exactly!!! I even learnt only recently that we were considered an upcoming superpower back in the 70's. @Pennywise, please go ask your parents or people who actually know of life in Nigeria back in the days so they educate you more on what life in Nigeria used to be.
Re: Can Nigerians Pay Their Electricity Bill by queenesthr(f): 8:00am On Apr 19, 2010
Quote from: KnowAll on April 16, 2010, 09:21 AM

WE TALK OF POWER, POWER THIS, POWER THAT, ARE WE READY TO PAY FOR POWER. AFTER ALL SOUP WEY SWEET NA MONEY KILL AM !!!!

YOU ARE IRREDEEMABLY MAD!!!!!!!!!! You don't deserve any response.
Re: Can Nigerians Pay Their Electricity Bill by KnowAll(m): 8:33am On Apr 19, 2010
YOU ARE IRREDEEMABLY MAD!!!!!!!!!! You don't deserve any response.

[size=14pt]Re-ReCharge Card

It is an SOS mechanism, a tool needed by women of easy virtues that now abounds the polity either overtly or covertly due to lack of jobs to ply their trade effectively.

You and I know where your $1 dollar would rather go when faced between the devil and the deep blue sea [/size] shocked
Re: Can Nigerians Pay Their Electricity Bill by Nobody: 9:38am On Apr 19, 2010
Please I'm getting a little bit confused here. Is PHCN now a govt. owned business Is it not funded heavily from the government budget which we all contribute to by our taxes and the natural resources which belongs to all of us. I'd think that that is enough payment already for electricity.

PHCN is NOT a private business, nor has it being commercialized, so please I don't think we should be talking about money here!

@ Kobojunkie!

I know you are not in Nigeria, and I doubt if you have visited in a long time. You probably don't know about the new system of per-paid metre. There is no denying the fact that with the way things are now, electricity is fairly affordable as opposed to the time when they would maunfacture huge bills and one would have no choice but to pay. While the chornically poor will still have a problem with paying, I think I'm safe to say that Nigerians can afford it!
Re: Can Nigerians Pay Their Electricity Bill by Nobody: 9:41am On Apr 19, 2010
violent:

Nigerians being able to afford their Electric bills and Nigerians playing the rouges are quite two different things.

Do you really think if people had a choice of making their calls without toping up their phones, they wouldn't take that choice even if they had the means to pay?

The fact that someone ingeniously connected his electric mains after it was disconnected by the Authorities only shows lack of fail proof system from the PHCN themselves. Its just a simple case of Moral Hazard!

Its not everyone in the UK or the US that can afford to pay their electric bills either, those who can't afford it and got disconnected from the mains simply can't reconnect it because you don't find cables lying in close proximity to your house, and besides there are systems in place to counter against such.

Your statement and mentality is such that projects Nigerians as extremely poverty stricken and might not be able to afford their electric bills therefore, they don't deserve the luxury. The fact that you live in the west does not mean you are any richer than people at home and neither does it mean they deserve any less.

Many, many people take up honest although some, low paying jobs and can afford to pay their electric bills if given the incentive to do so.

Gosh i can't even believe we are having this conversation, next we will hear "Can Nigerians afford to pay for good health care?"

It's terrible you know. I feel sad when I read some of these topice the people in diaspora post. They have no clue as to what is going on here and I wonder who gave them the right to make such silly comments.
Re: Can Nigerians Pay Their Electricity Bill by Nobody: 9:50am On Apr 19, 2010
KnowAll:

[size=14pt]The average Nigerian wants and love to circumvent any system we see it happen even in the most advanced of societies where our country men and women constantly try to move one step b4 the authorities. Someone mentioned is " Light" not dear to our people, of course it is dear, but it is something that has to be admired at far, not to be played with or desired excessively especially when we know we cannot pay for it, because it comes with a price tag, no be dash. Rolls Royce is a car I love, and I can say it is dear to me, can I afford it, that answer is for another day lipsrsealed.

As long as our people can physically see a pole in front of their houses, if disconnection happens, connection will commence almost immediately by a quick clarion call to the local resident electrician who for a small fee, would perform his usual magic whilst the whole neigbourhood gathers around and the little unclothed boys and girls gives him yet another round of applause for such a daring act. If this kind of Batmen continue to exist in our slums, the Electrical authorities in Nigeria would be faced with an uphill task to outwit and overwhelm these heroes and champions of the down and trodden.[/size]

There is a reason why there is a government! The problem with PHCN is a management failure pure and simple. The fact that you are trying to blame it on rogue Nigerians only shows how little you know about managing businesses. Before telecomms was privatized, we had almost the same problme with NITEL. People would do anything possible to make calls for free. I even had a friend who could slot in an empty call card in a phone booth and make calls for hours! NITEL would send balloned bills and if you 'knew' someone, they would write off your bills for a price!

But we all know that it's impossible to do such things with these private telecomm companies! Why? Isn't it the same Nigerains that are using the services? Do you think they don't try to hack into MTN systems to steal credits? But a good business should be able to checkmate all these things. All over the world, people evade tax, try to hide bills, and look for ways to cut corners. But the system makes it difficult for them in developed countries. Here people dont care because it's a government owned enterprise.

That's why I'm an avid supporter of privatization and commercialization! That way, we'd see if PHCN wont give us light for 24 horus. By the time their competititors would steal the whole market, they'd be forced to fold up, like NITEL! undecided
Re: Can Nigerians Pay Their Electricity Bill by Kobojunkie: 12:27pm On Apr 19, 2010
Ujujoan:

@ Kobojunkie!

I know you are not in Nigeria, and I doubt if you have visited in a long time. You probably don't know about the new system of per-paid metre. There is no denying the fact that with the way things are now, electricity is fairly affordable as opposed to the time when they would maunfacture huge bills and one would have no choice but to pay. While the chornically poor will still have a problem with paying, I think I'm safe to say that Nigerians can afford it!

ROFLMAO!!! @Ujujoan, I am sorry to disappoint you but I do know of the metre system, however you fail to admit that the system has NOT itself worked to improve supply in any way. That we have meters has NOTHING to do with actual electricity supply, which which is what we are talking of here.

Electricity IS NOT fairly affordable given that people still get an average of 5 hours of electricity a week in some places. We are speaking of affordability of 24/7 electricity.In a lot of places still better to use your generator than depend on PHCN for electricity.

Stop confusing pay cards with cost of electricity here. I read somewhere that the country barely produces enough for the 40% who have access to any electricity from the grid, at all, so what does it matter if we have meter cards or none? We still do not get 24/7 electricity and so it is naive to assume we can afford 24/7 at this time.

When you get your next bill, try to do the math. Compute how much it would cost you to pay with your meter card for 24/7/30 electricity, and maybe you get a better idea of what the cost is likely to be if you were paying for a whole month of actual electricity supply, with or without paycards.
Re: Can Nigerians Pay Their Electricity Bill by otokx(m): 12:42pm On Apr 19, 2010
For now i don't understand how anybody will pay for services not rendered?
Re: Can Nigerians Pay Their Electricity Bill by Nobody: 1:23pm On Apr 19, 2010
Kobojunkie:

ROFLMAO!!! @Ujujoan, I am sorry to disappoint you but I do know of the metre system, however you fail to admit that the system has NOT itself worked to improve supply in any way. That we have meters has NOTHING to do with actual electricity supply, which which is what we are talking of here.

Electricity IS NOT fairly affordable given that people still get an average of 5 hours of electricity a week in some places. We are speaking of affordability of 24/7 electricity. Where I have my domain it is still better to use your generator than depend on PHCN for electricity.

Stop confusing pay cards with cost of electricity here. I read somewhere that the country barely produces enough for the 40% who have access to any electricity from the grid, at all, so what does it matter if we have meter cards or none? We still do not get 24/7 electricity and so it is naive to assume we can afford 24/7 at this time.

When you get your next bill, try to do the math. Compute how much it would cost you to pay with your meter card for 24/7/30 electricity, and maybe you get a better idea of what the cost is likely to be if you were paying for a whole month.

You know you are missing the point entirely! The question here is . . Will Nigerians be able to pay for electricity if it is made available And I dont think I'm naive to believe that we can!

There is no way you can convince me that it it cheaper to use the Generator than to pay for light supply 24/7 IF it is available! I made a clear illuatration based on my experience and trust me, I have done the maths.

I stay in a place where the supply of electricity is phased. One day on, one day off. I recharge my meter like once in 2 months with N1,000.00. On the day we get light, I use every elctrical fittings in my house and we get the light for 24hrs. On days we dont have light, it costs me N1,400.00 to fill the tank of my Gen Set and that can only carry me for 10hrs max! Some people use bigger generators, and some smaller. But either way, It can never be less that N500.00 to power a gen set for 12hrs in a day, no matter how small the generator is!

So based on my calculation, I spend N500.00 on PHCN bills for 15days and that would be N1,000.00 for 30days!

That is LESS than what I spend in ONE DAY if I'm using my gen set. And I've not added the cost of servicing the gen.

The pre-paid metre has made it's possible to conserve power and save more money. Even if the light is available 24/7, families can decides on what electrical facility to use and when in a way that would best suit their budget.

Obviosuly, the Gen set is more dependable for now, but it is certainly NOT cheaper and if Nigerian families can afford it, then I think being asked to pay for 24/7 power supply, even at double the cost now, will be a blessing!
Re: Can Nigerians Pay Their Electricity Bill by tkb417(m): 1:31pm On Apr 19, 2010
i dont understand this thread

an average Nigerian owns a small gen and spends more than NEPA or PHCN would collect

so whats this all about?
Re: Can Nigerians Pay Their Electricity Bill by Kobojunkie: 1:38pm On Apr 19, 2010
Ujujoan:

You know you are missing the point entirely! The question here is . . Will Nigerians be able to pay for electricity if it is made available And I dont think I'm naive to believe that we can!

There is no way you can convince me that it it cheaper to use the Generator than to pay for light supply 24/7 IF it is available! I made a clear illuatration based on my experience and trust me, I have done the maths.

Actually, you cannot, now state for a fact that Nigerians will be able to afford electricity(24/7) since all many get now is about 10 hours a week of it.

I am not arguing for generators -- the environment pollutions from that alone is enough reasons why I would go for a ban on that instead. However,

Ujujoan:

I stay in a place where the supply of electricity is phased. One day on, one day off. I recharge my meter like once in 2 months with N1,000.00. On the day we get light, I use every elctrical fittings in my house and we get the light for 24hrs. On days we dont have light, it costs me N1,400.00 to fill the tank of my Gen Set and that can only carry me for 10hrs max! Some people use bigger generators, and some smaller. But either way, It can never be less that N500.00 to power a gen set for 12hrs in a day, no matter how small the generator is!

calculation, I spend N500.00 on PHCN bills for 15days and that would be N1,000.00 for 30days!

That is LESS than what I spend in ONE DAY if I'm using my gen set. And I've not added the cost of servicing the gen.

You are saying that 24/7 electricity would cost you only N 1000? Less than $10 bucks a month? shocked Maybe I need to move there to get electricity the way you do, and that rate you have there.

Ujujoan:
So based on my

The pre-paid metre has made it's possible to conserve power and save more money. Even if the light is available 24/7, families can decides on what electrical facility to use and when in a way that would best suit their budget.

Obviosuly, the Gen set is more dependable for now, but it is certainly NOT cheaper and if Nigerian families can afford it, then I think being asked to pay for 24/7 power supply, even at double the cost now, will be a blessing!

I really don't care to make this a generator argument. I don't believe 24/7 electricity should be for only those who can afford it. I believe it is a basic amenity that should be for all, not just the priviledged few.

Does anyone else out there pay the same amount for electricity or are we being fleeced in our area? less than $5(N 500) a month for 15 days of electricity!
Re: Can Nigerians Pay Their Electricity Bill by ekoboy: 1:47pm On Apr 19, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Electricity IS NOT fairly affordable given that people still get an average of 5 hours of electricity a week in some places. We are speaking of affordability of 24/7 electricity.In a lot of places still better to use your generator than depend on PHCN for electricity.

When you get your next bill, try to do the math. Compute how much it would cost you to pay with your meter card for 24/7/30 electricity, and maybe you get a better idea of what the cost is likely to be if you were paying for a whole month of actual electricity supply, with or without paycards.
Ok, am happy to inform you that I have done the math. I use a prepaid meter and I monitor closely my usage.( And I have had  24hrs power sometimes).The cost for use of electricity is N200 per month service charge and N4.40 per kwh. Now using an average of 30units (I actually use about 20units) every day which will come to 900units per month which only amounts to N3,960 + N200 service charge + 5% tax(N198) gives  N4,400. I wouldn’t think that is too much.

We all realize that this power consumption is dependent on the appliances you have and how you use them. I will not recommend using heaters and cookers if you don’t want to spend much and my average of 20units is only up to dat because I  use  2 air conditioners. With only tv, energy lights and the refrigerator, it won’t be more than 10unit a day. If you apply energy saving methods such as using energy saving bulbs, not put on lights where u don’t need them.

Now using a generator let us see how many hours we can get out of N4,400. A 2.8kva generator which is barely enough for a 3bedroom flat uses 15ltrs of fuel and lasts about 13hrs at full tank. At N65 per ltr that is N975 for 13 hours. In that case N4,500 will fetch us about 60hrs. An average family in Lagos runs generator for about 5hrs in a day.That will give about N400 per day, multiply by 30 and that is N12,000 a month.

Now how do you compare paying N12, 000 for a month for only 5hrs of power in day and paying N4,000 for 24hrs of power in a month. I think it’s a simple choice.

I guess people don’t really know how much they pay for power when they run on generators because they pay bit by bit, but I think its quite clear by this simple calculations that Nigerians can pay for power and at the present rate it  is quite cheap.
Re: Can Nigerians Pay Their Electricity Bill by Nobody: 1:48pm On Apr 19, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Actually, you cannot, now state for a fact that Nigerians will be able to afford electricity(24/7) since all many get now is about 10 hours a week of it.

I am not arguing for generators -- the environment pollutions from that alone is enough reasons why I would go for a ban on that instead. However,

You know when you say this 10hrs a week, I wonder where you are talking about  undecided

Thos Nigerians who can afford even 'i better pass my neighbour' generator can afford 24/7 PHCN service. Take it from someone who knows!

You are saying that 24/7 electricity would cost you only N 1000? Less than $10 bucks a month? shocked Maybe I need to move there to get electricity the way you do, and that rate you have there.

It's hard to beleive right? Just shown how little you know my friend! Anybody can tell you the same.

I really don't care to make this a generator argument. I don't believe 24/7 electricity should be for only those who can afford it. I believe it is a basic amenity that should be for all, not just the priviledged few.

Does anyone else out there pay the same amount for electricity or are we being fleeced in our area? $5(N 500) a month for 15 days of electricity!

That is sthe situation on ground. It is affordable, the problem is purely on availability! You know woman, you should only argue on issues you know about. Like I said earlier, you definitely don't know about the situation here now!  tongue

tkb417:

i dont understand this thread

an average Nigerian owns a small gen and spends more than NEPA or PHCN would collect

so whats this all about?

Please help me tell her oh!
Re: Can Nigerians Pay Their Electricity Bill by Nobody: 1:52pm On Apr 19, 2010
ekoboy:

Ok, am happy to inform you that I have done the math. I use a prepaid meter and I monitor closely my usage.( And I have had 24hrs power sometimes).The cost for use of electricity is N200 per month service charge and N4.40 per kwh. Now using an average of 30units (I actually use about 20units) every day which will come to 900units per month which only amounts to N3,960 + N200 service charge + 5% tax(N198) gives N4,400. I wouldn’t think that is too much.

We all realize that this power consumption is dependent on the appliances you have and how you use them. I will not recommend using heaters and cookers if you don’t want to spend much and my average of 20units is only up to dat because I use 2 air conditioners. With only tv, energy lights and the refrigerator, it won’t be more than 10unit a day. If you apply energy saving methods such as using energy saving bulbs, not put on lights where u don’t need them.

Now using a generator let us see how many hours we can get out of N4,400. A 2.8kva generator which is barely enough for a 3bedroom flat uses 15ltrs of fuel and lasts about 13hrs at full tank. At N65 per ltr that is N975 for 13 hours. In that case N4,500 will fetch us about 60hrs. An average family in Lagos runs generator for about 5hrs in a day.That will give about N400 per day, multiply by 30 and that is N12,000 a month.

Now how do you compare paying N12, 000 for a month for only 5hrs of power in day and paying N4,000 for 24hrs of power in a month. I think it’s a simple choice.

I guess people don’t really know how much they pay for power when they run on generators because they pay bit by bit, but I think its quite clear by this simple calculations that Nigerians can pay for power and at the present rate it is quite cheap.

Oh wow! This is cool.

Still want to argue Kobo
Re: Can Nigerians Pay Their Electricity Bill by Kobojunkie: 1:54pm On Apr 19, 2010
Ujujoan:

You know when you say this 10hrs a week, I wonder where you are talking about undecided
That is exactly why I asked you where you live cause I need to move there apparently!
Ujujoan:

Thos Nigerians who can afford even 'i better pass my neighbour' generator can afford 24/7 PHCN service. Take it from someone who knows!

News Flash . . . not everyone can afford generators. In fact, everytime I am home, I have to fuel it with my money because most times those in the house do not even have it on cause of cost. And They barely get electricity otherwise.
But Again, I am not here to speak of GENERATORS, the topic is NOT about GENERATORS. It is about affordability of electricity for all and how we can best deal with it once we get 24/7 electricity to all.
Ujujoan:
It's hard to beleive right? Just shown how little you know my friend! Anybody can tell you the same.
That is sthe situation on ground. It is affordable, the problem is purely on availability! You know woman, you should only argue on issues you know about. Like I said earlier, you definitely don't know about the situation here now! tongue
Someone else did his maths, and came up with a number over 4 times the cost you posted. Care to debate that? And Please do not sidetrack by bringing up GENERATORS and GENERATOR ACCESSORIES arguement. Cause that is the part of debating with you that irks me. Stick to cost of electricity from the grid please.
Re: Can Nigerians Pay Their Electricity Bill by tkb417(m): 2:05pm On Apr 19, 2010
News Flash . . . not everyone can afford generators. In fact, everytime I am home, I have to fuel it with my money because most times those in the house do not even have it on cause of cost. And They barely get electricity otherwise.

But Again, I am not here to speak of GENERATORS, the topic is NOT about GENERATORS. It is about affordability of electricity for all and how we can best deal with it once we get 24/7 electricity to all.

comprehension is not a prob right?

ok lemme break it down

Nigerians can afford electricity whenever its available based on the the usage of Gens and the amount expended on GENS monthly
if you need statistics or empirical data, just do an open questionnaire and give as many as possible households and u shd be able to deduce whatever ure looking for

if the affordability of electricity is the variable in question, then monthly consumption on fuel for GENs is a dependent variable that can give a clue on the spending power of 9jas when it comes to energy consumption
abi make we speak ur language so u go fit understand?
Re: Can Nigerians Pay Their Electricity Bill by Nobody: 2:06pm On Apr 19, 2010
Kobojunkie:

That is exactly why I asked you where you live cause I need to move there apparently!

I assume you fuel it because you want max supply. Most families can run on generator for at least 5hrs a day. Of coures not everbody can afford even that, but I think the majority of the population can afford to fuel an I better pass my neighbour generator for at least 20hrs a week which is already costiing alomst 2,000.00

Someone else did his maths and apparently came up with 4 times the cost you posted, care to debate that? And Please do not do the whole sidetracking and bringing in GENERATORS and GENERATOR ACCESSORIES arguement. Cause that is the part of debating with you that irks me. Stick to cost of electricity from the grid please.

Like I said, it depends on usage. I'm not home half the time and there's a only a little amount of light one person can use, alone! Besides I dont get to pay the service charge and VAT he talked about so maybe I spend less. He also said that if conserved, you can spend much less than that and I would think that would be the case with the less priviledged. He's a big boi, he has 2 AC and I bet he has heaters, microwave, and all that. How many families in Nigeria can afford those?

You know what irks me about arguing with you, you tend to ignore the obvious! How can you talk about the availability of light without talking about Generators in Nigeria. You guys are saying we cannot afford light when majority of Nigerians are already spending much more by using Generators and somehow you think that by highlighting that, I'm 'sidetracking'!
Re: Can Nigerians Pay Their Electricity Bill by ekoboy: 2:06pm On Apr 19, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Someone else did his maths, and came up with a number over 4 times the cost you posted. Care to debate that? And Please do not sidetrack by bringing up GENERATORS and GENERATOR ACCESSORIES arguement. Cause that is the part of debating with you that irks me. Stick to cost of electricity from the grid please.

2wice actually. Read what is said, i actually use less than that, but used an upper figure so as not to leave any doubt in your mind. Find out what sort of appartment she has. I live in a 3bedroom flat and have facilities in all the rooms. But that is not the issue anyway.

The issue i think is whether Nigerians can pay for electricity and from all this i believe the answer is pretty clear.
Re: Can Nigerians Pay Their Electricity Bill by Nobody: 2:11pm On Apr 19, 2010
tkb417:

ok lemme break it down

Nigerians can afford electricity whenever its available based on the the usage of Gens and the amount expended on GENS monthly
if you need statistics or empirical data, just do an open questionnaire and give as many as possible households and u shd be able to deduce whatever ure looking for

[b]if the affordability of electricity is the variable in question, then monthly consumption on fuel for GENs is a dependent variable that can give a clue on the spending power of 9jas when it comes to energy consumption[/b]abi make we speak your language so u go fit understand?

Be careful oh, she's going to say you are sidetracking! lol . .

ekoboy:

2wice actually. Read what is said, i actually use less than that, but used an upper figure so as not to leave any doubt in your mind. Find out what sort of appartment she has. I live in a 3bedroom flat and have facilities in all the rooms. But that is not the issue anyway.

The issue i think is whether Nigerians can pay for electricity and from all this i believe the answer is pretty clear.

Thank you my dear.

@ Kobo, just to clear your doubt, I live in an empty house. The only furnished room is mine and even dou I managed to put an AC in it, I'm prone to cold so most times it's off! cheesy

And when I'm at work, there's nobody at home to watch TV and use up all my power! cheesy

You know the more I think about it, the more I realize that I actually spend less that N500.00 in a month undecided cheesy
Re: Can Nigerians Pay Their Electricity Bill by Kobojunkie: 2:15pm On Apr 19, 2010
tkb417:

ok lemme break it down

How many Nigerians are you talking about? I ask this because we tend to assume that because we can, everyone else can.

tkb417:

Would I be polling ONLY the 40% of Nigerians who currently are able to get some electricity from the grid or the almost 60% who do not?

tkb417:
if the affordability of electricity is the variable in question, then monthly consumption on fuel for GENs is a dependent variable that can give a clue on the spending power of 9jas when it comes to energy consumption
abi make we speak your language so u go fit understand?

give a clue on the spending power of 9jas but how many 9jas actually spend much on generators and generator accessories? I only ask this because I seem to get the sense that many assume everyone out there has a gen.
Re: Can Nigerians Pay Their Electricity Bill by honeric01(m): 2:17pm On Apr 19, 2010
Kobojunkie:

I don't know why you love to argue, especially against anything Nigerian, people living in Nigeria are telling you the situations on ground, you are here arguing from 10,000 miles away, because you are always the one fueling the gen when you come visiting does not mean they don't fuel it themselves when you return to your abode. i want you to know that Nigeria is probably the cheapest place on earth where electricity is being rendered.
Re: Can Nigerians Pay Their Electricity Bill by Nobody: 2:20pm On Apr 19, 2010
Kobojunkie:

How many Nigerians are you talking about? I ask this because we tend to assume that because we can, everyone else can.

You know I came across a study somewhere, they discorverd that 58% of Nigerians own generators! That's more than half innit?

Please bear in mind that the ones who don't could live in an area where they've not seen the need for it. Like residents on Bonny Island! They have 24/7 supply of  electricity. Check that out!
Re: Can Nigerians Pay Their Electricity Bill by tkb417(m): 2:21pm On Apr 19, 2010
Takin Lagos as a sample size, out of 10 homes in shanty Ajegunle, 6 owns a Generator (the ones they call 'i better pass my neighbour')

what else do you want to know?

im sure Generators aint decorating gadgets. Gone are the days when you see darkness in Lagos cos of power outtage, instead what we hear is the buzzing noise of Generators in all the houses In Lagos. U are i doubt, fly to lagos
Re: Can Nigerians Pay Their Electricity Bill by jaybee3(m): 2:23pm On Apr 19, 2010
What's the average load per household sef?
Most Nigerians probably just need enough energy for lighting purposes only and that surely wouldn't cost them arm and leg.
Re: Can Nigerians Pay Their Electricity Bill by Nobody: 2:24pm On Apr 19, 2010
Just incase you don't know, Kobojunkie is most interested in who posts last.

So unless you guys have as much time as she does, i urge you to quit the back n forth chit chat.
Re: Can Nigerians Pay Their Electricity Bill by Kobojunkie: 2:24pm On Apr 19, 2010
ekoboy:

If you are serious, here is the real issue . . .  I made it clear earlier where I stand as per the original posters comments so far, however the issue I have been discussing with this is . . .

tensor777:

Well what you and others want is a reliable 24-hour power supply on the one hand and the current cheap subsidized price on the other. NEPA has never been able to accomplish that.

No, I think cost is likely to become a problem by the time we finally find a solution. In my opinion, by the time we spend billions to build and then additional billions to maintain it, we are bound to see costs change , if not drastically. Worse, if it goes PRIVATE, God save us! Only hope it is not too bad for the majority to handle.

4 Play:

Electricity supply to residential consumers has to be subsidised as the average Nigerian cannot afford it. However, the price for industrial users can be left to the market to determine without subsidy.

Only about 40% of Nigerian homes have access to electricity from the grids, according to reports. The residential supply is currently hugely subsidized. You claim you pay N 2000, while someother person claims to pay N1000 for the same amount.  When we invest billions in fixing the electricity problem, and giving access to the other 60% who are currently without, will we be able to all afford 24/7 electricity THEN.

Note: no question about generator costs or generator accessories
Re: Can Nigerians Pay Their Electricity Bill by tkb417(m): 2:25pm On Apr 19, 2010
give a clue on the spending power of 9jas but how many 9jas actually spend much on generators and generator accessories? I only ask this because I seem to get the sense that many assume everyone out there has a gen.

dont be lazy. if u want a generic index, use the GDP but if u want a biz economics term, ill let you know that their is what we call the emergence of the middle class in Nigeria

call MTN post paid desk or the othe telcos to have an idea how much peeps spend on fone calls
tht shd give u an idea if we can afford electricity

madam, read up and stop asking questions

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

President Goodluck Jonathan’s Village Gets Federal University / Shehu Shagari Throws A Bombshell At Buhari: Quit Now / Jimi Agbaje Lost Because He Put Self Interest Before Lagos Interest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.