Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,814 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:24 AM

Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading (25907 Views)

Senate Bill Recognising Males As Rape Victims Passes Second Reading / Minimum Wage Bill Passes Second Reading At Senate / Bill To Eradicate Age-induced Discrimination In Employment Passes Second Reading (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 10:29pm On Jan 31, 2018
lexy2014:
i don't c d basis 4 this so called law cos in practice, its women who choose. Nobody forces them 2 choose. I am yet 2c a woman who has denied or lost her state or local govt of origin cos she got married. These guys are just playing 2d gallery. Their focus should have been more on promoting citizenship based on state of residence. It clearly shows how myopic they are
Because you have not seen does not mean they are not there.The lawmakers are jobless we know but free them small their duty is to make laws what is the point of lawmaking if it cannot be implemented by the executive.
Re: Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading by omonnakoda: 10:30pm On Jan 31, 2018
Ladyhippolyta88:
OKay
Go and marry some one from Delta Rivers or Akwa Ibom ,divorce him and come back.

There is nothing in Edo na !
Wetin we go come dey chop?
Re: Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading by pennywys(m): 10:32pm On Jan 31, 2018
Ladyhippolyta88:
Nigeria as a country has no problem with law making our problem has always been implementation which is the job of the executive.
who are the executives?

Aren't they the same dull un-intellectual minds like the legislators, all bulk in one political party? So what are ur expectations when like minds are working to worsen the society
Re: Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading by lexy2014: 10:46pm On Jan 31, 2018
Ladyhippolyta88:
Because you have not seen does not mean they are not there.The lawmakers are jobless we know but free them small their duty is to make laws what is the point of lawmaking if it cannot be implemented by the executive.
u urself have u seen who lost her state of origin cos she got married?even my grandmother who was uneducated&who died in 2005 still chose her fathers hometown not her husbands hometown.we are talking about reality not sensationalism. Its great u asked "what's d essence of making law that can't b implemented". this law can't even b implemented cos d problem its supposed 2 address doesn't exist

1 Like

Re: Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 10:48pm On Jan 31, 2018
omonnakoda:

Go and marry some one from Delta Rivers or Akwa Ibom ,divorce him and come back.

There is nothing in Edo na !
Wetin we go come dey chop?
Hahaha.
Re: Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 10:50pm On Jan 31, 2018
lexy2014:
u urself have u seen who lost her state of origin cos she got married?even my grandmother who was uneducated&who died in 2005 still chose her fathers hometown not her husbands hometown.we are talking about reality not sensationalism. Its great u asked "what's d essence of making law that can't b implemented". this law can't even b implemented cos d problem its supposed 2 address doesn't exist
This one is a lie I have seen cases where the women go as far as changing their state of origin and local government it is adressing an issue because this one happens.
Re: Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading by bukatyne(f): 10:51pm On Jan 31, 2018
I was going to question the importance of the bill till I saw that a justice was denied promotion because of this.

That it doesn't/will never affect me doesn't mean others are all fine.

Let's see what the bill amounts to.

1 Like

Re: Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 10:53pm On Jan 31, 2018
pennywys:
who are the executives?

Aren't they the same dull un-intellectual minds like the legislators, all bulk in one political party? So what are ur expectations when like minds are working to worsen the society
That is the jamb question we are looking for an answer to.They are all the same birds of same feather.
Re: Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading by lexy2014: 11:04pm On Jan 31, 2018
Ladyhippolyta88:
This one is a lie I have seen cases where the women go as far as changing their state of origin and local government it is adressing an issue because this one happens.
what is a lie?where did u c those cases?if those women changed, were u privy 2d reasons y they changed?were they forced or they chose that path?did they go 2 court 2 renounce their state of origin of birth?if she changed, that doesn't negate her original state of origin. Its even an advantage cos she now has dual state of origin which her husband doesn't have
Re: Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 11:08pm On Jan 31, 2018
lexy2014:
what is a lie?where did u c those cases?if those women changed, were u privy 2d reasons y they changed?were they forced or they chose that path?did they go 2 court 2 renounce their state of origin of birth?if she changed, that doesn't negate her original state of origin. Its even an advantage cos she now has dual state of origin which her husband doesn't have
Abeg leave matter for matthias the bill is important.Good night.
Re: Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading by lexy2014: 11:22pm On Jan 31, 2018
Ladyhippolyta88:
Abeg leave matter for matthias the bill is important.Good night.
y u run now?u are faced with facts u de call mathaias.we shouldn't just accept things cos they appeal 2 our primordial sentiments but we should learn 2 push for legislation that provides balance 4 society. Many folks both male&female are being discriminated against everyday cos they aren't "indigenes" of a state despite being born there. Only Lagos state gives "outsiders" some form of acceptance. Instead of facing this issue which threatens our unity, here is time being wasted 2 legislate on creating a law that seeks to solve a problem that doesn't exist
Re: Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 11:27pm On Jan 31, 2018
lexy2014:
y u run now?u are faced with facts u de call mathaias.we shouldn't just accept things cos they appeal 2 our primordial sentiments but we should learn 2 push for legislation that provides balance 4 society. Many folks both male&female are being discriminated against everyday cos they aren't "indigenes" of a state despite being born there. Only Lagos state gives "outsiders" some form of acceptance. Instead of facing this issue which threatens our unity, here is time being wasted 2 legislate on creating a law that seeks to solve a problem that doesn't exist
Don't think you can debate with me and win.So just leave me alone I have brought my reasons with the post I wrote f the issue was not important some people would not support it and debate over it,I don't have time for all these and do not think I am running away I prefer open minded discussions with open minded people .Goodnight.
Re: Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading by Evince(m): 11:52pm On Jan 31, 2018
Ladyhippolyta88:
Your questions are valid.I have heard about this state of residence the idea seems good maybe then all these catchment areas,ELDS and others would be abolished as well.As for the question it is the woman's cup of tea.

Thumbs up
Re: Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading by lexy2014: 11:53pm On Jan 31, 2018
Ladyhippolyta88:
Don't think you can debate with me and win.So just leave me alone I have brought my reasons with the post I wrote f the issue was not important some people would not support it and debate over it,I don't have time for all these and do not think I am running away I prefer open minded discussions with open minded people .Goodnight.
If u could define "open minded", i'ld b most glad. Am not interested in debating with u or winning u but only informing u. If u have information that u can share 2 inform me, pls share. what are d reasons u brought? I didn't c them on my mention.
Re: Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading by LaudableXX: 12:23am On Feb 01, 2018
It is a totally unnecessary bill. Don't those women know their state of origin?
Re: Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading by Saintmary(f): 1:09am On Feb 01, 2018
zombieTRACKER:

Nothing like choosing here
Once you get married
Automatically you are one with your husband
according to the word of God, the man becomes one with the woman, not the other way round. And if you want to go the traditional route, the man and the woman never become one, other wives and concubines follow. So how many ones will the man become?
Re: Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading by Saintmary(f): 1:22am On Feb 01, 2018
omonnakoda:

By law or by what? We are talking matters of law here which are not subject to whim.
The law in Nigeria applies to everyone whether Muslim Christian or atheist and so must me neutral.
Why not the husband become one with his wife?
Why the wife become one with husband?
What is the underlying philosophy
that's a result of african christianity. They only use the word of God to support their whim. The word of God says the man joins to his wife, but they can't stand that, so they twist the Word of God to fit their wishes. I'm sad to point this out but consider this, majority of preachers are male.

1 Like

Re: Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading by omonnakoda: 1:26am On Feb 01, 2018
Saintmary:

that's a result of african christianity. They only use the word of God to support their whim. The word of God says the man joins to his wife, but they can't stand that, so they twist the Word of God to fit their wishes. I'm sad to point this out but consider this, majority of preachers are male.
It is not African sweetie, it's just men . Every where else women have had to fight for every right..
It is not yet 100 years since women won the right to vote in the UK.

No one is going to give away advantage without a fight.

Anywhere
Re: Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading by Saintmary(f): 1:50am On Feb 01, 2018
omonnakoda:

It is not African sweetie, it's just men . Every where else women have had to fight for every right..
It is not yet 100 years since women won the right to vote in the UK.

No one is going to give away advantage without a fight.

Anywhere
the issue is, they have brainwashed the women with lies using the Word of God.

1 Like

Re: Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading by omonnakoda: 5:30am On Feb 01, 2018
Saintmary:

the issue is, they have brainwashed the women with lies using the Word of God.
To some extent but Nigeria is very far from 100% Christian.
It is neither an African nor a Christian issue.
Re: Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading by ycat: 5:39am On Feb 01, 2018
Good morning to my people! Just like some men use dickks to write checks unnecessarily for 18 years of child support in the U.S, so will Yoruba finally sell the future of the Yoruba land over 5 minutes self gratification. Yoruba are endangered and will either be minority or slaves in the next 20 years in Lagos. I don't see anything in place by Yoruba leaders to destroy all the plan to take over Lagos.

State of residence has reared its ugly head again through the back door. With this law in place, watch other tribes use their women married to Yoruba to drag the little political positions we have with us in the SW while they keep their own intact. Start paying in state tuition, stretching our infrastructure and taking food out of our children's mouths. The one Nigeria coconut is continually broken on Yoruba's head. Where else are immigrants claiming? SW! Where is being called no man's land? SW! Which tribes marry more from outside? Yoruba! Who would want to be a citizen of the east or north if they are not originally from there? No one! Now compare that with those who want to be from the SW. An organization just came up in Ogun State and I've seen people in the U.S who are clearly from the east say they are from Lagos. Yoruba land is the reason this law is being passed and it's not as if we can do anything about it but just to prepare us for what is coming.

They say IKAWO O O'LASO but we all know that when you have to fight to keep what is yours, then you have already lost it. I'm beginning to believe that Lagos will not be in firm grip of Yoruba in the nearest future if all SW leaders don't come together and ask to be exempted from this law, because when you have a grill fired in the midst of human beings and a chicken, we all know the bird is the one going to be cooked. SW leaders votes against it won't really count but they can go to court to be exempted citing the danger we are already facing as a people. Yoruba, I know the curse is strong, but just maybe you can think for once and secure your children's future.
Re: Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading by Ugosample(m): 7:05am On Feb 01, 2018
lovewahz:

What happened when you marry a Ghanaian?because we all know that woman is another peoples property,let me use that word.

Igbo man mentality undecided

1 Like

Re: Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading by Ugosample(m): 7:06am On Feb 01, 2018
ycat:
Good morning to my people! Just like some men use dickks to write checks unnecessarily for 18 years of child support in the U.S, so will Yoruba finally sell the future of the Yoruba land over 5 minutes self gratification. Yoruba are endangered and will either be minority or slaves in the next 20 years in Lagos. I don't see anything in place by Yoruba leaders to destroy all the plan to take over Lagos.

State of residence has reared its ugly head again through the back door. With this law in place, watch other tribes use their women married to Yoruba to drag the little political positions we have with us in the SW while they keep their own intact. Start paying in state tuition, stretching our infrastructure and taking food out of our children's mouths. The one Nigeria coconut is continually broken on Yoruba's head. Where else are immigrants claiming? SW! Where is being called no man's land? SW! Which tribes marry more from outside? Yoruba! Who would want to be a citizen of the east or north if they are not originally from there? No one! Now compare that with those who want to be from the SW. An organization just came up in Ogun State and I've seen people in the U.S who are clearly from the east say they are from Lagos. Yoruba land is the reason this law is being passed and it's not as if we can do anything about it but just to prepare us for what is coming.

They say IKAWO O O'LASO but we all know that when you have to fight to keep what is yours, then you have already lost it. I'm beginning to believe that Lagos will not be in firm grip of Yoruba in the nearest future if all SW leaders don't come together and ask to be exempted from this law, because when you have a grill fired in the midst of human beings and a chicken, we all know the bird is the one going to be cooked. SW leaders votes against it won't really count but they can go to court to be exempted citing the danger we are already facing as a people. Yoruba, I know the curse is strong, but just maybe you can think for once and secure your children's future.

Look at this mumu post....

1 Like

Re: Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading by Ugosample(m): 7:11am On Feb 01, 2018
tiger28:
i can GUARANTEE everyone that you are Igbo....the ONLY tribe that carry this indigineship thing for head. Whats wrong with you guys dragging indigineship? Are you not proud of una area?africa is NOT America! It is in africa that you see totally different custom,language, mode of dressing, dialect,religion in just 30 kilometers from different towns. Our customs are so unique compared to america hence its preservation. If you no like am, move to your zone!

See another one undecided
Re: Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading by BluStreak(m): 7:45am On Feb 01, 2018
Whoever that originally tried to argue the indigene of a woman once married is only being mischievous. A married woman's state of origin remains the same after marriage. She remains an indigene of her father's place as well as adopt that of her husband which is as result of marriage. It's an advantage and shouldn't be confusing our 'lawbreakers'. They should just have it enshrined in our Constitution. There is no ambiguity here.

If they fly their pregnant wives abroad to go have their kids so they can attain dual citizenship, I don't see what is hard in a woman having dual 'indigenship', one by birth and another by marriage. It then is her prerogative to choose which she should use after marriage.

E no hard naaah haba!

1 Like

Re: Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading by BluStreak(m): 7:57am On Feb 01, 2018
lexy2014:

Honestly, this problem I must agree with you doesn't exist. Someone created it out of mischief. A woman simply attains dual indigenship once she gets married.
Re: Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading by orisa37: 9:13am On Feb 01, 2018
Let's have Okonjo Iweala/Aisha Buhari for President in 2019:
Re: Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading by MRLANNISTER(m): 9:23am On Feb 01, 2018
Blue3k2:
Women will likely pick what ever affords them best economic benefit assuming they work government job where this matters.

State of origin is stupid concept anyway. We should just focus on residence just like United States. Example if you move to Texas newly you will pay out of state tuition fee for university. After living her 12 months you qualify for instate tuition just like every other Texan. (Just do it before registration)

Another example I can add is office holding. Hillary Clinton was born and raised in Chicago Illinois but she became a New York Senator because lived their long enough to qualify.

You are very correct. Until we drop "state of origin" We will not move forward. Ethnicity is too enshrined in our DNA. With state of residence. Okechukwu can come from Ogun State and Adeyemi can come from Imo while Bala is from Akwa Ibom. You dont have to return to Anambra to be able to contest for elections if you have lived in Ekiti all you life.
Re: Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading by Saintmary(f): 10:22am On Feb 01, 2018
omonnakoda:
To some extent but Nigeria is very far from 100% Christian. It is neither an African nor a Christian issue.
right
Re: Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading by ycat: 2:19pm On Feb 02, 2018
Imbecillle!
Ugosample:

Look at this mumu post....
Re: Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading by LaudableXX: 2:46am On Feb 04, 2018
MRLANNISTER:
You are very correct. Until we drop "state of origin" We will not move forward. Ethnicity is too enshrined in our DNA. With state of residence. Okechukwu can come from Ogun State and Adeyemi can come from Imo while Bala is from Akwa Ibom. You dont have to return to Anambra to be able to contest for elections if you have lived in Ekiti all you life.
God will NOT allow that to happen. Why should Okechukwu come from Ogun state? What happened to the land of his forefathers? Who will develop the place for him?
Re: Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading by LaudableXX: 2:50am On Feb 04, 2018
tiger28:
i can GUARANTEE everyone that you are Igbo....the ONLY tribe that carry this indigineship thing for head. Whats wrong with you guys dragging indigineship? Are you not proud of una area?africa is NOT America! It is in africa that you see totally different custom,language, mode of dressing, dialect,religion in just 30 kilometers from different towns. Our customs are so unique compared to america hence its preservation. If you no like am, move to your zone!
Thank you, o!! shocked cheesy It makes me cringe when I see such slavish, silly posts. angry I have spent several years in Lagos, but I can never claim Lagos or SW as my state of origin, when my forefathers came from somewhere totally different. I will always love Lagos and the people of the SW for the kindness they have shown to me, but I can never covet their land.... Mba nu! angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Oshiomhole Told Buhari He’ll Remove Saraki In 10 Days – Timi Frank / Imrana Maihakuri Suleiman, Soldier Killed By Terrorists In Zamfara State / Otunba Gbenga Daniel Casts His Votes (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.