Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,479 members, 7,819,748 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:09 PM

Taxify Drivers Protest In Lagos: "We Are Not Rapists, We Need Respect" (Photos) - Nairaland / General (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Taxify Drivers Protest In Lagos: "We Are Not Rapists, We Need Respect" (Photos) (44089 Views)

Ibadan Bolt(taxify) Drivers Plan Shutdown From Fri 14th June 2019 / Henry Chukwuemeka, Taxify Driver Sues Dorcas Shola Fapson For N5M / Abuja Taxi Drivers Protest Over Alleged Harassment By Task Force (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Taxify Drivers Protest In Lagos: "We Are Not Rapists, We Need Respect" (Photos) by Born2Breed(f): 6:08pm On Feb 01, 2018
Young and old graduates taking to driving as a legit means of earning a living instead of taking to crime, some idiots are frustrating them.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Taxify Drivers Protest In Lagos: "We Are Not Rapists, We Need Respect" (Photos) by cococandy(f): 6:15pm On Feb 01, 2018
Okay then. Let’s trust the court to serve justice in this case.
Instead of trying to indirectly shut people up for speaking up

superhumanist:

Correction.

The actress was in his car. He has already claimed that the girl did not want to exit the car.

The guy has a right to defend his property, especially if he states that he was afraid that the girl could do damage to it.

The law in this case is not as clear as you think it is.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Taxify Drivers Protest In Lagos: "We Are Not Rapists, We Need Respect" (Photos) by chronique(m): 6:17pm On Feb 01, 2018
cococandy:
What the eff are you on about?

Who’s talking about social status, job, employment and all the other stuff you typed up there? Where did that come from?

You’re the one who clearly has a problem with their job or sees a problem with it if you can go about making assumptions from thin air.
I called them idiots because they are protesting for no reason except that a guy was accused and they don’t even know if he did it or not. They just want to protest because of their usual victim blaming.

I’m sure you have seen me call buhari an idiot before. Why didn’t you assume I was doing because I felt he’s beneath me? Shows you that you’re the one with the problem not me. Fix it.

Where I am, being a taxi driver is a very honorable job. Don’t come at me with that Nigerian nonsense where you give people respect based on the type of job they do. If a senator/legislator fvcks up here, I’ll write her or him a direct letter and call them out on the bullshyte . No money or status worshipping for me. Find someone else to pick on.

First things first,I didn't pick on you. I only drew your attention to the fact that your calling them idiots,is wrong. In case you do not know,in Nigeria here,a lot of people look down on taxi drivers as people of a lower class. If you were born and bred here before you traveled out,you'd obviously know that's a fact(except you just wan to feign ignorance). Secondly, you and I and every other person(apart from the driver and the "perceived victim"wink do not have a first hand info on what transpired; we're all responding based on what both parties said. Obviously, we all know that this incident, would one way affect the image and perception a good no of people would have towards these drivers just as a lot of female riders might not become very comfortable taking this uber taxify biz. I can understand why they'd want to protest about not wanting to be labeled badly. I have read a lot of comments and responses from people on social media on this issue. This is the first time I'm even commenting and it's just cos of what you typed and nothing more. If they decide to stage a protest,it probably would be due to events that must have occurred/transpired surrounding this issue. It's really up to them to do that and it's not the business of you and I. You really don't have any justifiable basis for calling them idiots.
That being said,try and be more calm and less emotional/sentimental when responding to a post that isn't in any way,aggressive. The tone in which you have responded to me is quite insultive but I choose not to pay attention to that. Have a good day.
Re: Taxify Drivers Protest In Lagos: "We Are Not Rapists, We Need Respect" (Photos) by superhumanist(m): 6:19pm On Feb 01, 2018
cococandy:
Okay then. Let’s trust the court to serve justice in this case.
Instead of trying to indirectly shut people up for speaking up

undecided Ironic, how you called people "1diots" for speaking up.

But yes, the court case will be interesting

2 Likes

Re: Taxify Drivers Protest In Lagos: "We Are Not Rapists, We Need Respect" (Photos) by cococandy(f): 6:21pm On Feb 01, 2018
superhumanist:

undecided Ironic, how you called people "1diots" for speaking up.

But yes, the court case will be interesting

that’s what you call speaking up? Choosing a time when someone is complaining of being raped or assaulter to campaign against it? That’s classic disguised victim shaming

1 Like

Re: Taxify Drivers Protest In Lagos: "We Are Not Rapists, We Need Respect" (Photos) by cococandy(f): 6:28pm On Feb 01, 2018
When your tone is condescending, don’t pretend to not understand why the response you get will be aggressive or insulting.

Because people tend to look down on taxi drivers, you automatically assumed that is what my post was about even though that wasn’t related to the topic in any way?

You know I almost forgot why I took a break from NL but thanks for reminding me. It’s not so much the authentic idiots (those olosho chanting robotic brainless ones) but the actual ‘reasonable’ posters who deliberately misunderstand you so that you waste a bunch of your time defending points of views that aren’t yours to begin with. Always exhausting.

Have a nice day.
chronique:

First things first,I didn't pick on you. I only drew your attention to the fact that your calling them idiots,is wrong. In case you do not know,in Nigeria here,a lot of people look down on taxi drivers as people of a lower class. If you were born and bred here before you traveled out,you'd obviously know that's a fact(except you just wan to feign ignorance). Secondly, you and I and every other person(apart from the driver and the "perceived victim"wink do not have a first hand info on what transpired; we're all responding based on what both parties said. Obviously, we all know that this incident, would one way affect the image and perception a good no of people would have towards these drivers just as a lot of female riders might not become very comfortable taking this uber taxify biz. I can understand why they'd want to protest about not wanting to be labeled badly. I have read a lot of comments and responses from people on social media on this issue. This is the first time I'm even commenting and it's just cos of what you typed and nothing more. If they decide to stage a protest,it probably would be due to events that must have occurred/transpired surrounding this issue. It's really up to them to do that and it's not the business of you and I. You really don't have any justifiable basis for calling them idiots.
That being said,try and be more calm and less emotional/sentimental when responding to a post that isn't in any way,aggressive. The tone in which you have responded to me is quite insultive but I choose not to pay attention to that. Have a good day.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Taxify Drivers Protest In Lagos: "We Are Not Rapists, We Need Respect" (Photos) by Keballl: 6:30pm On Feb 01, 2018
cococandy:
that’s what you call speaking up? Choosing a time when someone is complaining of being raped or assaulter to campaign against it? That’s classic disguised victim shaming

You are just vibrating foolishly. People are legitimately protesting against perceived social profiling and here you are busy convulsing that they have no rights to be heard over an unproven allegation.

What nonsense.

3 Likes

Re: Taxify Drivers Protest In Lagos: "We Are Not Rapists, We Need Respect" (Photos) by mechanics(m): 6:30pm On Feb 01, 2018
I thought their vehicles will have the same colour, so it means someone can just claim he's one of them.
Re: Taxify Drivers Protest In Lagos: "We Are Not Rapists, We Need Respect" (Photos) by Keballl: 6:32pm On Feb 01, 2018
mechanics:
I thought their vehicles will have the same colour, so it means someone can just claim he's one of them.

Taxify and Uber drivers having the same colour? Lmao.. They are all private car owners partnering with the companies to share profits according to their terms of service.
Re: Taxify Drivers Protest In Lagos: "We Are Not Rapists, We Need Respect" (Photos) by superhumanist(m): 6:35pm On Feb 01, 2018
cococandy:

Emotions and sentiments seem to get the better of you.

The drivers were not just protesting the rape case at hand! Please, go and learn the meaning of this phrase "the straw that broke the camel's back" because this ra*pe case was the straw.

2 Likes

Re: Taxify Drivers Protest In Lagos: "We Are Not Rapists, We Need Respect" (Photos) by okenwaa(m): 6:36pm On Feb 01, 2018
majekdom2:
I said it sometime that the problem with Nigeria is not just the government but the people too. Imagine young men trying to survive and getting insulted and falsely accused by people because they feel they are better than the driver's. Shola fapson Abi Wetin be her name she be should be arrested. Where are these NGOs

And who says Fapson is better than Henry??
Do we now judge people based on their hustle??

Henry na graduate bro....wey Fapson no fit stand if intelligent discussion come up.

FGCO old boys sure die!!
Re: Taxify Drivers Protest In Lagos: "We Are Not Rapists, We Need Respect" (Photos) by chronique(m): 6:38pm On Feb 01, 2018
cococandy:
When your tone is condescending, don’t pretend to not understand why the response you get will be aggressive or insulting.

Because people tend to look down on taxi drivers, you automatically assumed that is what my post was about even though that wasn’t related to the topic in any way?

You know I almost forgot why I took a break from NL but thanks for reminding me. It’s not so much the authentic idiots (those olosho chanting robotic brainless ones) but the actual ‘reasonable’ posters who deliberately misunderstand you so that you waste a bunch of your time defending points of views that aren’t yours to begin with. Always exhausting.

Have a nice day.

It's obvious you do not see your wrong doing here,and you genuinely believe that you have a right to call them idiots. I'm very sure you know what idiot means,and all the synonyms associated with it. With that kind of mindset,nothing I type here would make you see reasons as to why you are wrong. I'm just gonna let it slide,and not engage you in any further discussion on this,again.
Re: Taxify Drivers Protest In Lagos: "We Are Not Rapists, We Need Respect" (Photos) by cococandy(f): 6:44pm On Feb 01, 2018
superhumanist:

Emotions and sentiments seem to get the better of you.

The drivers were not just protesting the rape case at hand! Please, go and learn the meaning of this phrase "the straw that broke the camel's back" because this ra*pe case was the straw.

I tend to look at people who belittle emotions and sentiments as ignorant people. Even when someone they don’t agree with is saying something perfectly logical, they classify it as emotional. Everything that does not fall in line with your point of view is emotional. You’re the only logical ones around. First of all emotions are very important and should play into our discussion because how else can you empathize with people?
Maybe you’re the one who needs to learn
Keballl:

You are just vibrating foolishly. People are legitimately protesting against perceived social profiling and here you are busy convulsing that they have no rights to be heard over an unproven allegation.

What nonsense.
if they have a problem with social profiling, they should protest against the rapists and assaulters among them Not vibrating foolishly like yourself when one them gets accused. People who have been wrongly touched by anyone in their midst won't just shut because many of them are good. Even those of them who have raped or assaulted people are among them carrying placards.

Fix your problems from within and maybe the so called stereotypes will go away. It’s unfortunate many of you don’t know what constitutes sexual assault. You expect people to shut up and go about their business when you have been behaving foolishly.

3 Likes

Re: Taxify Drivers Protest In Lagos: "We Are Not Rapists, We Need Respect" (Photos) by cococandy(f): 6:47pm On Feb 01, 2018
I have a question for you. Do you have the same problem with the people calling her and me olosho
Why haven’t you quoted any of them?

I’m waiting for you response.

Edited. Just as I thought . No response yet. You obviously have no problem with those people. Your problem arises when you perceive a group of men being insulted. All ye ‘good’ people hypocritical to the core. Your post had nothing to do with being nice or respectful to others. You were speaking from your masked bias
chronique:

It's obvious you do not see your wrong doing here,and you genuinely believe that you have a right to call them idiots. I'm very sure you know what idiot means,and all the synonyms associated with it. With that kind of mindset,nothing I type here would make you see reasons as to why you are wrong. I'm just gonna let it slide,and not engage you in any further discussion on this,again.
Re: Taxify Drivers Protest In Lagos: "We Are Not Rapists, We Need Respect" (Photos) by Emmy1234567890: 6:52pm On Feb 01, 2018
Yes, we are not rapist....
Re: Taxify Drivers Protest In Lagos: "We Are Not Rapists, We Need Respect" (Photos) by superhumanist(m): 6:57pm On Feb 01, 2018
cococandy:

I tend to look at people who belittle emotions and sentiments as ignorant people. Even when someone they don’t agree with is saying something perfectly logical, they classify it as emotional. Everything that does not fall in line with your point of view is emotional. You’re the only logical ones around. First of all emotions are very important and should play into our discussion because how else can you empathize with people?

I just pity you

1 Like

Re: Taxify Drivers Protest In Lagos: "We Are Not Rapists, We Need Respect" (Photos) by Keballl: 6:59pm On Feb 01, 2018
cococandy:

if they have a problem with social profiling, they should protest against the rapists and assaulters among them Not vibrating foolishly like yourself when one them gets accused. People who have been wrongly touched by anyone in their midst won't just shut because many of them are good. Even those of them who have raped or assaulted people are among them carrying placards.

Fix your problems from within and maybe the so called stereotypes will go away. It’s unfortunate many of you don’t know what constitutes sexual assault. You expect people to shut up and go about their business when you have been behaving foolishly.

You are ironically contradicting yourself which shows you aren't thinking properly.

Your insinuation that they should fold their harms and allow folks like you call a dog a bad name simply to hang it won't fly.

While it is your right to raise awareness about assault on ladies, it is also their right to bring to the notice of the populace the pain of their everyday hustle.

You have no rights whatsoever to call them idiots simply because their narratives didn't sooth your all knowing opinion.

It is folks like you who will engage in jungle justice simply because you have a warped stereotype about others.

2 Likes

Re: Taxify Drivers Protest In Lagos: "We Are Not Rapists, We Need Respect" (Photos) by slex(m): 6:59pm On Feb 01, 2018
Sorry pop. Is it sole or soul of the business?

Me I'm not understanding
Re: Taxify Drivers Protest In Lagos: "We Are Not Rapists, We Need Respect" (Photos) by cococandy(f): 7:07pm On Feb 01, 2018
I abhor jungle justice.

Yes someone accused one of them of attempting to rape her. They took to the streets to protest without knowing if he did attempt it or not. The court hasn’t pronounced judgment on the case. How do they know he didn’t do it? Exactly. They don’t know that. None of us do.

They just want to protest because that’s their personal biases. It makes them idiots

Keballl:

You are ironically contradicting yourself which shows you aren't thinking properly.

Your insinuation that they should fold their harms and allow folks like you call a dog a bad name simply to hang it won't fly.

While it is your right to raise awareness about assault on ladies, it is also their right to bring to the notice of the populace the pain of their everyday hustle.

You have no rights whatsoever to call them idiots simply because their narratives didn't sooth your all knowing opinion.

It is folks like you who will engage in jungle justice simply because you have a warped stereotype about others.

3 Likes

Re: Taxify Drivers Protest In Lagos: "We Are Not Rapists, We Need Respect" (Photos) by cococandy(f): 7:08pm On Feb 01, 2018
superhumanist:

I just pity you
as I do you
Re: Taxify Drivers Protest In Lagos: "We Are Not Rapists, We Need Respect" (Photos) by hillsway(m): 7:16pm On Feb 01, 2018
Kai! 9ja na wa.
Re: Taxify Drivers Protest In Lagos: "We Are Not Rapists, We Need Respect" (Photos) by Keballl: 7:22pm On Feb 01, 2018
cococandy:
I abhor jungle justice.

Yes someone accused one of them of attempting to rape her. They took to the streets to protest without knowing if he did attempt it or not. The court hasn’t pronounced judgment on the case. How do they know he didn’t do it? Exactly. They don’t know that. None of us do.

They just want to protest because that’s their personal biases. It makes them idiots

And you complaining about the constant labeling, stereotyping of you and other ladies as Olosho equate you as an idiot cos of your bias even when you aren't even aware if those labelled are one.

Embrace your logic and discover how awful you sound. It is just sad.

2 Likes

Re: Taxify Drivers Protest In Lagos: "We Are Not Rapists, We Need Respect" (Photos) by chronique(m): 7:24pm On Feb 01, 2018
cococandy:
I have a question for you. Do you have the same problem with the people calling her and me olosho

I do not support ladies being called olosho for speaking their minds or because people are arguing over an issue. I don't even know the girl(I heard her name for the first time when the incident occurred). I've have as much as possible, refrained from contributing to the topic because the incident in question, is a sensitive one and both parties have put out statements to defend themselves. I'm not commenting because I want to take sides with the driver or all uber drivers, on this case. I'm trying to be very neutral on it. All I'm saying to you in plain and simple English is that,you should not use such words on a group of people collectively, over this incident. Let's flip this script a bit.

Imagine some nollywood actress coming to protest against being called olosho because of this incident,and I comment on Nairaland and say they are idiots and I ask if they called "all of them olosho". How does that sound? Silly right? But the truth is that they have the right to come out and protest about being called derogatory names over this incident which no one truly knows who is at fault.

I'm not here to fight for taxify driver at the centre of the issue,or dorcas or any nairalander who comments on this case. I'm just saying that we should be civil in our approach. Don't go about throwing words on people collectively. As for those calling you olosho; I'm sure you know not everyone on the internet is couth enough to know how to talk to people in a public forum. It isn't my responsibility to start quoting them one by one and engaging them on that.

1 Like

Re: Taxify Drivers Protest In Lagos: "We Are Not Rapists, We Need Respect" (Photos) by chronique(m): 7:43pm On Feb 01, 2018
cococandy:

Edited. Just as I thought . No response yet. You obviously have no problem with those people. Your problem arises when you perceive a group of men being insulted. All ye ‘good’ people hypocritical to the core. Your post had nothing to do with being nice or respectful to others. You were speaking from your masked bias

So because I didn't respond within the stipulated time that "you" set for me, you automatically came to this conclusion? Without even taking into consideration that I could possibly be away fro my phone at that moment? So in your mind now, I don't have anything else to do other than to sit with my phone and respond to any mention/quote I get? You're a very funny person though. The last thing I'd do,is to insult you or throw at you the kind of words you've been subtly and directly throwing at me.
Re: Taxify Drivers Protest In Lagos: "We Are Not Rapists, We Need Respect" (Photos) by Nobody: 7:51pm On Feb 01, 2018
okenwaa:

And who says Fapson is better than Henry??
Do
we now judge people based on their hustle??

Henry na graduate bro....wey Fapson no fit stand if intelligent discussion come up.

FGCO old boys sure die!!
of course that was her thought and why she could do what she did.
Re: Taxify Drivers Protest In Lagos: "We Are Not Rapists, We Need Respect" (Photos) by Nobody: 7:51pm On Feb 01, 2018
cococandy:
How do you know she feels like she is better than him?
do you need a sooth sayer to tell you that?
Re: Taxify Drivers Protest In Lagos: "We Are Not Rapists, We Need Respect" (Photos) by Nobody: 7:53pm On Feb 01, 2018
Proudgorgeousga:

dorcas didn't accuse the whole drivers in Nigeria, she accused one.

if they are so bothered they should do something about the bad eggs among them.

I guess the thieving drivers from hell in the link below are also innocent young men trying to make a living.

https://www.nairaland.com/4095503/uber-drivers-arrested-robbing-women

so, one is not enough to stage protest.. my post isn't about fapson but about whatever treatment they he'll. There are thiefing prostitutes. Oh pls, call a spade a spade
Re: Taxify Drivers Protest In Lagos: "We Are Not Rapists, We Need Respect" (Photos) by Nobody: 7:57pm On Feb 01, 2018
AntiBrutus:
Though I don't support Dorcas, I think they need to keep quiet and allow their colleague sue her ass.

Was it not one of these taxi drivers that killed a young man last year? Or the cases of attempted kidnap and robbery?
An Uber driver was also killed and his car sold.

So, rather than protesting that they're not rapists, of which no one called all of them rapists. They should go for dashcams. There are bad eggs among them, and there are also bad passengers - It's a win win for everyone.
do you know that guy may have been mobbed. We should always condemn a bad act and support a good one There is no win win here. Though the protest isn't necessary, it's only a way of showing their pains. The least they need is empathy.
Re: Taxify Drivers Protest In Lagos: "We Are Not Rapists, We Need Respect" (Photos) by Nobody: 7:58pm On Feb 01, 2018
cococandy:
Who called them all rapists? Idiots
is it only online you read your news. Someone is calling your husband and son an idiot somewhere because he sees his actions "idiotic"
Re: Taxify Drivers Protest In Lagos: "We Are Not Rapists, We Need Respect" (Photos) by Nobody: 8:01pm On Feb 01, 2018
majekdom2:
do you know that guy may have been mobbed. We should always condemn a bad act and support a good one There is no win win here. Though the protest isn't necessary, it's only a way of showing their pains. The least they need is empathy.

The win win is in reference to installing cameras in their cars against future occurrences. It is a 'win win' for both parties, I am not retracting that.

No part of my post supports Dorcas's act. The protest isn't really unnecessary, but acting like they're all innocent is what I won't buy.
They should get cameras, simple!!
Re: Taxify Drivers Protest In Lagos: "We Are Not Rapists, We Need Respect" (Photos) by Nobody: 8:04pm On Feb 01, 2018
HomeOfMe:
Some stupid girls have no respect for guys who àre working hard and legitimately for their money. They respect people who made their money through rituals,kidnapping,robbery,drug pushing,etc. Don't get me wrong,it doesn't change the fact that their could be bad eggs amongst those drivers,and I say no to rape of any sex.
I tend to like ladies that treat issues without bias and sentiments. I assume some intelligence.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Coconut Tree Catches Fire In Festac (Video) / An Act Of Kindness Or Foolishness? / The Huge Python Killed By Nigerian Soldiers In A Bush Near Their Barracks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.