Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,739 members, 7,831,356 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 05:32 PM

Does The Bible Give Clues To How Old The Earth Is? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does The Bible Give Clues To How Old The Earth Is? (4980 Views)

Hopes That The Bible Give / We Have Been Lied To The Earth Is Flat And Not A Globe / If Earth Is Hot Like This, How Will Hell Be? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does The Bible Give Clues To How Old The Earth Is? by Supremex: 2:32pm On Mar 01, 2018
AlfaSeltzer:

Every wise person knows that the Nazarene is a compulsive liar.
Lmao grin grin grin chai and am piting this guy oo, that same Jesus who is the saviour today would be the jugde on the last day, no amount of pleading will suffice, the thing is you are free to abuse, it doesnt move Him one inch, yall think God is under obligations to make Himself known to you, God is not moved by your unbelief cos guess what, He is still God and you cant move Him one bit to make Him show Himself to you, you aint worth it, peace brother
Re: Does The Bible Give Clues To How Old The Earth Is? by johnw74: 1:38am On Mar 02, 2018
A thousand years to God is not a day, a thousand years to God can seem like a day:

Psa 90:4 For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night.

It appears that God's creation day's were 24 hours long:

Gen 1:31 And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.
Re: Does The Bible Give Clues To How Old The Earth Is? by ichuka(m): 7:54pm On Mar 02, 2018
OLAADEGBU:

Let's see what God wrote Himself:

"For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: therefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day and hallowed it" (Exodus 20:11).

"In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth" (Genesis 1:1).

Where is it written that God recreated the heaven and the earth? undecided
Lol bro
He "MADE AGAIN" what was destroyed that He "CREATED" in the Begining.
Man was Made out of the His Creation.
Re: Does The Bible Give Clues To How Old The Earth Is? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:54am On Mar 06, 2018
ichuka:

Lol bro
He "MADE AGAIN" what was destroyed that He "CREATED" in the Begining.
Man was Made out of the His Creation.

Who destroyed what He created in the beginning? undecided
Re: Does The Bible Give Clues To How Old The Earth Is? by shadeyinka(m): 7:21pm On Mar 06, 2018
OLAADEGBU:

DESCRIPTION
Does the Bible give clues as to how old the earth is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FbHWEe7fLg

In Mark 10:6 Jesus said, 'But at the beginning of creation God "made them male and female".' But if the universe is billions of years old then Jesus' statement is false because people did not arrive 'at the beginning' but 'close to the end'.

The chronogenealogies in Genesis 5 and 11 document that there was 2009 years between the creation of Adam and the birth of Abraham. Since Abraham lived close to 2000 BC this gives a date for the creation week of around 4000 BC.

https://creation.com/creation-videos?fileID=5FbHWEe7fLg

In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.

That was probably billions of years ago

And then,(something happened that) the earth became void and without form.

Sometimes about 7000 years ago, God said
Let there be Light

This marks the beginning of the recreation and repopulation of the earth.

You will note that nowhere did God create WATER. All God did was to separate the waters from the land.

Was the earth formally filled with vegetations and animals before its initial destruction? No one can say for sure.

Some say that dynasurs were from that phase of the earths existence. No body can be sure. The Bible is not a science book

3 Likes

Re: Does The Bible Give Clues To How Old The Earth Is? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:46pm On Mar 08, 2018
shadeyinka:

Assumptions as usual without any scientific backing.

shadeyinka:

Speculations of fallible sinful men.

shadeyinka:

Let there be Light

Man's effort in trying to rewrite the infallible Word of God to suit the words of fallible sinful men.

shadeyinka:

You will note that nowhere did God create WATER. All God did was to separate the waters from the land.

Read Genesis 1:1 again but this time without the evolutionist spectacles.

shadeyinka:

Was the earth formally filled with vegetations and animals before its initial destruction? No one can say for sure.

This is begging the question.

shadeyinka:

Some say that dynasurs were from that phase of the earths existence. No body can be sure. The Bible is not a science book

God means what He recorded and recorded what He meant. It is you that is confusing yourself with your attempt to synchronise the Word of God with the fallible words of sinful men.
Re: Does The Bible Give Clues To How Old The Earth Is? by shadeyinka(m): 7:17pm On Mar 08, 2018
OLAADEGBU:

Assumptions as usual without any scientific backing.

Speculations of fallible sinful men.

Man's effort in trying to rewrite the infallible Word of God to suit the words of fallible sinful men.

Read Genesis 1:1 again but this time without the evolutionist spectacles.

This is begging the question.

God means what He recorded and recorded what He meant. It is you that is confusing yourself with your attempt to synchronise the Word of God with the fallible words of sinful men.
Simple English language rendition.
I have nothing else to say!

Why don't you interpreted it according to what you think it means.

1 Like

Re: Does The Bible Give Clues To How Old The Earth Is? by Nobody: 7:57pm On Mar 08, 2018
shadeyinka:

Let there be Light

Welcome bro you aired almost all my views on this issue....

Christianity isnt based on faith without evidence...

Science doesn't contradict the Bible..

1 Like

Re: Does The Bible Give Clues To How Old The Earth Is? by Nobody: 7:59pm On Mar 08, 2018
To olaadegbu

How many years interval between when Adam was created, and when he are the fruit?
Re: Does The Bible Give Clues To How Old The Earth Is? by shadeyinka(m): 8:23pm On Mar 08, 2018
Ferisidowu:

Welcome bro you aired almost all my views on this issue....

Christianity isnt based on faith without evidence...

Science doesn't contradict the Bible..

You are welcome.
Critics will want to overlook that water wasn't part of what was created in Genesis.

You're Blessed

2 Likes

Re: Does The Bible Give Clues To How Old The Earth Is? by ichuka(m): 9:57pm On Mar 08, 2018
OLAADEGBU:

Who destroyed what He created in the beginning? undecided
Satan,when he was driven out from heaven
Re: Does The Bible Give Clues To How Old The Earth Is? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:35pm On Mar 10, 2018
ichuka:

Satan,when he was driven out from heaven

Is that an assumption, speculation or a fact? undecided
Re: Does The Bible Give Clues To How Old The Earth Is? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:55pm On Mar 10, 2018
Ferisidowu:

To olaadegbu

How many years interval between when Adam was created, and when he are the fruit?

I don't know but what I do know is that Adam was created only 5 days after the beginning of God's creation. cool
Re: Does The Bible Give Clues To How Old The Earth Is? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:59pm On Mar 10, 2018
shadeyinka:

Simple English language rendition.
I have nothing else to say!

Why don't you interpreted it according to what you think it means.

Check the OP and see what it says. smiley
Re: Does The Bible Give Clues To How Old The Earth Is? by Nobody: 2:35pm On Mar 10, 2018
OLAADEGBU:

I don't know but what I do know is that Adam was created only 5 days after the beginning of God's creation. cool

True really true wasn't asking you to contemplate science.....

I leave the mystery things of God Creation to God till when he will have me understand better..... And hold the clearer doctrine of grace faith justification and sanctification.....

I wouldn't try fooling myself fighting with atheists

I'd rather leave that the more learned and qualified Christians

What I'm saying is that although the book of Genesis is filled with mysteries of God which one can't understand on the surface except explicit interpretation and teaching by the mighty God himself even the person of the holyspirit

Besides God has made the most vital and fundamental doctrine of salvation clear I'd rather contemplate on that rather than on more veiled doctrines
Re: Does The Bible Give Clues To How Old The Earth Is? by dalaman: 4:08pm On Mar 10, 2018
How can the bible give you clue over the age of the earth when the writers of the bible do not know anything about the age if the earth?
Re: Does The Bible Give Clues To How Old The Earth Is? by CAPSLOCKED: 4:12pm On Mar 10, 2018
dalaman:
How can the bible give you clue over the age of the earth when the writers of the bible do not know anything about the age if the earth?

THOSE GOAT HERDERS ONLY KNEW THE AGES OF THEIR GOATS. undecided
Re: Does The Bible Give Clues To How Old The Earth Is? by shadeyinka(m): 5:00pm On Mar 10, 2018
OLAADEGBU:

Check the OP and see what it says. smiley
Check my previous post and your response.

You say I was reinterpreting the bible to suit the knowledge of men.

I just simply referred you to the verse so that you could interpret it according to what is written

Gen 1:1-8
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. The earth was without form, and void; and darkness was on the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.

Then God said, “Let there be light”; and there was light. And God saw the light, that it was good; and God divided the light from the darkness. God called the light Day, and the darkness He called Night. So the evening and the morning were the first day. Then God said, “Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from thearkness He called Night. So the evening and the morning were the first day.

There wasn't a recreation of the waters.
There be wasn't a recreation of the earth

Pls check
Re: Does The Bible Give Clues To How Old The Earth Is? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:15pm On Mar 10, 2018
Ferisidowu:

True really true wasn't asking you to contemplate science.....

I leave the mystery things of God Creation to God till when he will have me understand better..... And hold the clearer doctrine of grace faith justification and sanctification.....

I wouldn't try fooling myself fighting with atheists

I'd rather leave that the more learned and qualified Christians

What I'm saying is that although the book of Genesis is filled with mysteries of God which one can't understand on the surface except explicit interpretation and teaching by the mighty God himself even the person of the holyspirit

Besides God has made the most vital and fundamental doctrine of salvation clear I'd rather contemplate on that rather than on more veiled doctrines

I get your point my brother, but most if not all of the biblical doctrines we believe and teach today have their foundation in chapters 1 to 11 of the book of Genesis. Especially the historical events of creation are clearly spelt out for our understanding and I see no reason why we as Christians should fall into the same lie that the devil used to deceive Eve who's intention is to make us doubt, deny and disobey God's infallible and inerrant Word because we want to please sinful fallible men.
Re: Does The Bible Give Clues To How Old The Earth Is? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:16pm On Mar 10, 2018
dalaman:

And you know something about the age of the earth? undecided
Re: Does The Bible Give Clues To How Old The Earth Is? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:18pm On Mar 10, 2018
CAPSLOCKED:

THOSE GOAT HERDERS ONLY KNEW THE AGES OF THEIR GOATS. undecided

Do you know where the use of A.D. that comes after your age comes from? undecided
Re: Does The Bible Give Clues To How Old The Earth Is? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:24pm On Mar 10, 2018
shadeyinka:

I just simply referred you to the verse so that you could interpret it according to what is written

Pls check

There was no recreation as you have rightly said.
Re: Does The Bible Give Clues To How Old The Earth Is? by shadeyinka(m): 5:31pm On Mar 10, 2018
OLAADEGBU:

You know how to twist a lie into plain words

shadeyinka:

Pls check

How could that have meant
There was no recreation

So, you are also one of the admins.
That is criminal!
Re: Does The Bible Give Clues To How Old The Earth Is? by shadeyinka(m): 9:33pm On Mar 10, 2018
OLAADEGBU:

The next time you edit my post, you won't find it funny. Nobody has that right to edit my post.

I said you find a way of turning the truth into lies
Re: Does The Bible Give Clues To How Old The Earth Is? by Nobody: 10:29pm On Mar 10, 2018
Concerning the creation, I believe God created the things on earth in 6 (literary )days
Adams age is a testament to that. Adam was a full grown man when God created him. Meaning God didn't follow the natural order when he created things. The laws of nature took over after God rested.
Science on the other hand follows the laws of nature and the attendant mathematical permutation which is a limitation in itself.
What we know is that in the beginning God created the heavens and the earth and it suffices a believer.

Focus more on salvation in Christ. Faith, sanctification and other soul winning and building twachings.
Re: Does The Bible Give Clues To How Old The Earth Is? by Nobody: 1:50am On Mar 11, 2018
I think no one's hypocracy is as big as the atheist's .you guys believe in Science now because you want to use it to discredit the Bible.

But when when Scientists claimed the Ark of Noah has been discovered at the same spot the Bible said it landed on Mount Ararat in Turkey in the same measurement, you said its a scam, You cant bring yourselves to ask how on earth a thing of that Manitude got to a place as High as that.

Artifacts of the Red Sea Crossing found right at the area of the Crossing, you claim its a lie.

I think Archaeologists are Scientists also. Abi they are not. Why are those discoveries lies and the scientific time of Creation true.

You only believe Scientifical findings that help you attack the Bible the ones that validates its claims are Discarded by you and tagged Scams.

Back to the issue of the Beginning of Creation. The Bibles say in the beginning God said let us make a man in our own image.
The idea of making a man came at a time and the creation started at another time. So When He said let us make... could be a billion years or more apart to the time the creation of man began.
He began creating a place habitable for man in the beginning which could be that 4billion years Science Claims.
But the time of making man after He has seen that everything that man needs are in place was 6000 years back.

Creating a thing like the world is not joke a reasonable mind knows that. For everything to work together for the good of man.

so if it was done for 4billion Man years What a big deal is that grin

Mind you it is in our eyes that Four billion years look so vast and big because of our level as humans. Its
like talking about a year or two in the presence of a mosquito with a week life span . grin

So to God and His Angels your four billion years would be like a few years.

I am an Artist by profession and I have found myself many times conceive an idea to make an Art Work that I never executed until several months. I might be doing other things that the Idea will live on.

The day I conceived it is different from the day I executed it but I've been busy doing other things that wld make the idea stand the test of time after execution. The beginning of that Art piece was the I started creating the platform that it would live on.

In short is it a bad idea to say God created the world 4 billion years ago and created man 6000 years ago.

All science can see and prove is when He created the world it can not know why He delayed the creation of man till 6000 years ago.
Re: Does The Bible Give Clues To How Old The Earth Is? by ichuka(m): 11:24am On Mar 11, 2018
OLAADEGBU:

Is that an assumption, speculation or a fact? undecided
Lol
Re: Does The Bible Give Clues To How Old The Earth Is? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:52pm On Mar 12, 2018
tamethem:

I think no one's hypocracy is as big as the atheist's .you guys believe in Science now because you want to use it to discredit the Bible.

But when when Scientists claimed the Ark of Noah has been discovered at the same spot the Bible said it landed on Mount Ararat in Turkey in the same measurement, you said its a scam, You cant bring yourselves to ask how on earth a thing of that Manitude got to a place as High as that.

Artifacts of the Red Sea Crossing found right at the area of the Crossing, you claim its a lie.

I think Archaeologists are Scientists also. Abi they are not. Why are those discoveries lies and the scientific time of Creation true.

You only believe Scientifical findings that help you attack the Bible the ones that validates its claims are Discarded by you and tagged Scams.

It is the so called evolutionists that claim that it is absurd for there to be a man-goat but that it is science to have an ape-man. cool

tamethem:

Back to the issue of the Beginning of Creation. The Bibles say in the beginning God said let us make a man in our own image.
The idea of making a man came at a time and the creation started at another time. So When He said let us make... could be a billion years or more apart to the time the creation of man began.

Who was God speaking to when He said, "Let us make man in our image"?

tamethem:

He began creating a place habitable for man in the beginning which could be that 4billion years Science Claims.
But the time of making man after He has seen that everything that man needs are in place was 6000 years back.

Were you there to observe that creation took place 4 billion years ago?

tamethem:

Creating a thing like the world is not joke a reasonable mind knows that. For everything to work together for the good of man.

so if it was done for 4billion Man years What a big deal is that grin

Mind you it is in our eyes that Four billion years look so vast and big because of our level as humans. Its
like talking about a year or two in the presence of a mosquito with a week life span . grin

So to God and His Angels your four billion years would be like a few years.

Where did you read it that the world was created 4 billion years ago?

tamethem:

I am an Artist by profession and I have found myself many times conceive an idea to make an Art Work that I never executed until several months. I might be doing other things that the Idea will live on.

The day I conceived it is different from the day I executed it but I've been busy doing other things that wld make the idea stand the test of time after execution. The beginning of that Art piece was the I started creating the platform that it would live on.

In short is it a bad idea to say God created the world 4 billion years ago and created man 6000 years ago.

All science can see and prove is when He created the world it can not know why He delayed the creation of man till 6000 years ago.

It is irrational, unreasonable and illogical for you to think that the Almighty God created the world 4 billion years ago before He created man.
Re: Does The Bible Give Clues To How Old The Earth Is? by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:02pm On Mar 12, 2018
solite3:

Concerning the creation, I believe God created the things on earth in 6 (literary )days
Adams age is a testament to that. Adam was a full grown man when God created him. Meaning God didn't follow the natural order when he created things. The laws of nature took over after God rested.
Science on the other hand follows the laws of nature and the attendant mathematical permutation which is a limitation in itself.
What we know is that in the beginning God created the heavens and the earth and it suffices a believer.

What was the duration between the creation of heaven and earth and the creation of Adam?

solite3:

Focus more on salvation in Christ. Faith, sanctification and other soul winning and building twachings.

How can we teach and preach salvation in Christ if we don't believe in the Genesis record?

Re: Does The Bible Give Clues To How Old The Earth Is? by Nobody: 5:23pm On Mar 12, 2018
OLAADEGBU:

It is the so called evolutionists that claim that it is absurd for there to be a man-goat but that it is science to have an ape-man. cool

Who was God speaking to when He said, "Let us make man in our image"?

Were you there to observe that creation took place 4 billion years ago?

Where did you read it that the world was created 4 billion years ago?

It is irrational, unreasonable and illogical for you to think that the Almighty God created the world 4 billion years ago before He created man.

I don't understand your argument. I am not the one claiming that the world was created 4billion years ago. One of NL atheists claims science says so.

So all I am trying to prove is that even if the Claim of science is true it doesn't mean that it is strong enough to defeat the Creation Story of the Bible.

Hope you get my point
Re: Does The Bible Give Clues To How Old The Earth Is? by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:04pm On Mar 12, 2018
tamethem:

I don't understand your argument. I am not the one claiming that the world was created 4billion years ago. One of NL atheists claims science says so.

So all I am trying to prove is that even if the Claim of science is true it doesn't mean that it is strong enough to defeat the Creation Story of the Bible.

Hope you get my point

All I could get from your post is you trying to justify why the universe and earth could be 4 billion years old. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Re: Does The Bible Give Clues To How Old The Earth Is? by Nobody: 8:01pm On Mar 14, 2018
[quote author=OLAADEGBU post=65774303]

What was the duration between the creation of heaven and earth and the creation of Adam?
the duration between the the heaven , earth and Adam was not revealed. We shouldn't go overboard, that was how Satan got eve. Meanwhile I debunk the theory that Adam was not the first man. The bible does not support such view.

How can we teach and preach salvation in Christ if we don't believe in the Genesis record ?
why do you think I don't believe the Genesis?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Winners International Youth Convention Is Here Again / FIVE Sons Of God Almighty And Their Attributes / Where In Nigeria Can One Find Yoga, Buddhism, Hinduism, New Age, And Such.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.