Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,707 members, 7,809,688 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:12 PM

Who Is God? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Who Is God? (1489 Views)

Is God Really Omniscience? Does He Know Everything? / Jesus Christ Is God Almighty :ask Me Anything!! / Is God Sovereign? - Paul Ellis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Is God? by MrBottle: 6:02am On Feb 10, 2018
Is it possible to know God without using the holy books?
Must God be known through the religious angle alone?
The Torah, Qur'an, Bible etc. Must this books be quoted to solidify the existence of God?
Is there anything in nature or universe that can logically and rationally explain God?
Re: Who Is God? by hakeem4(m): 6:12am On Feb 10, 2018
MrBottle:
The Torah, Qur'an, Bible etc. Must this books be quoted to solidify the existence of God?
Is there anything in nature or universe that can logically and rationally explain God?
god is a term created by people to explain things they do not understand. It’s called god of the gaps.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Is God? by orunto27: 6:31am On Feb 10, 2018
When Thunder stricks you a little, you will know God.
Re: Who Is God? by MrBottle: 6:34am On Feb 10, 2018
orunto27:
When Thunder stricks you a little, you will know God.
That means fear of harm is your God. Because you don't want to experience harm so fear becomes your God.

1 Like

Re: Who Is God? by vaxx: 8:43am On Feb 10, 2018
Do you imagine God to be she or he? Why do you use who? It shows a flaw in your question. It presume you already have a clue. Your question should be what is God?

From a traditionalist perspective, ifa monotheistic. I believe in a single creative force known as Olodumare. The Universe in it’s entirety springs from that single source. Unlike the Orisa, Olodumare is not an energy but rather a consciousness. A consciousness big enough to encompass the entire of creation. Everything we know is part of Olodumare, as is everything we are yet to discover.

The books of the abrahamic religion is not the only tools to use when seeking for the truth.and likewise science is not enough tools. But both of them can be use as a parameter to validate the truth.. In other words, The ultimate truth you are seeking for is within you and Not what the books think or science think it should be .but what it is . onlly you can achieve that feet..

1 Like

Re: Who Is God? by MightySparrow: 9:15am On Feb 10, 2018
Yes. But God once used this method but did not work out well. So, he decided to use another method of revelation. read Roman 1: 19 ~ 21
Re: Who Is God? by rekinomtla(m): 9:30am On Feb 10, 2018
Study the philosophical arguments given for God's existence.
Re: Who Is God? by MrBottle: 10:05am On Feb 10, 2018
MightySparrow:
Yes. But God once used this method but did not work out well. So, he decided to use another method of revelation. read Roman 1: 19 ~ 21
Can you explain what God is without the holy books?
In the absence of any book or writ... what is God?
Re: Who Is God? by MrBottle: 10:07am On Feb 10, 2018
rekinomtla:
Study the philosophical arguments given for God's existence.
Please I will be grateful if you can post the philosophical arguments here. Thanks
Re: Who Is God? by MrBottle: 10:12am On Feb 10, 2018
vaxx:
Are you imagine God to be she or he? Why do you use who? It shows a flaw in your question. It presume you already have a clue. Your question should be what is God?

From a traditionalist perspective, ifa monotheistic. I believe in a single creative force known as Olodumare. The Universe in it’s entirety springs from that single source. Unlike the Orisa, Olodumare is not an energy but rather a consciousness. A consciousness big enough to encompass the entire of creation. Everything we know is part of Olodumare, as is everything we are yet to discover.

The books of the abrahamic religion is not the only tools to use when seeking for the truth.and likewise science is not enough tools. But both of them can be use as a parameter to validate the truth.. In other words, The ultimate truth you are seeking for is within you and Not what the books think or science think it should be .but what it is . onlly you can achieve that feet..

From traditional Yoruba perspective? I see... And there are other perspectives of what God is from thousands of traditions all over the world.

Aside from all this traditional and religious perspectives can God be explained through what is around us?
Re: Who Is God? by vaxx: 10:47am On Feb 10, 2018
MrBottle:
From traditional Yoruba perspective? I see... And there are other perspectives of what God is from thousands of traditions all over the world.

Aside from all this traditional and religious perspectives can God be explained through what is around us?
Yes the nature is a typical example. Let's use the science evidence. (Big bang)that the universe accidentally spring forth from an element smaller than an atom to the size bigger than galaxy and hence birth stars , , planets , moon etc in the supernova. And till now it is believe that the universe is still expanding (dark matter) so if you clearly check this follow up , you will gladly see the universe is in motion.

So let me ask you . if we should follow scientific principle ( big bang theory) that universe was accidentally created, should we also accept that universe set itself in motion accidentally?

For example , we ignorantly believe a big restaurant set up itself, should we still believe it can operate itself without people in it? At least something must put the reasturant in motion.......

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Is God? by MrBottle: 11:05am On Feb 10, 2018
vaxx:
Yes the nature is a typical example. Let's use the science evidence. (Big bang)that the universe accidentally spring forth from an element smaller than an atom to the size bigger than galaxy and hence birth stars , , planets , moon etc in the supernova. And till now it is believe that the universe is still expanding (dark matter) so if you clearly check this follow up , you will gladly see the universe is in motion.

So let me ask you . if we should follow scientific principle ( big bang theory) that universe was accidentally created, should we also accept that universe set itself in motion accidentally?

For example , we ignorantly believe a big restaurant set up itself, should we still believe it can operate itself without people in it? At least somethinog must put the reasturant in motion.......
So that something is God.? Are they many or just one.? Men has been able to set a lot of things in motion..create things too. Does it make man God?
Re: Who Is God? by MightySparrow: 11:13am On Feb 10, 2018
MrBottle:
Can you explain what God is without the holy books?
In the absence of any book or writ... what is God?
No I can't. If you have an idea i will be glad to learn from you.
Re: Who Is God? by vaxx: 11:17am On Feb 10, 2018
MrBottle:
So that something is God.? Are they many or just one.? Men has been able to set a lot of things in motion..create things too. Does it make man God?
I ask you a question..... I am expecting an answer.. Do not reply me with question.you are commiting a falacy here. I assume you wanted to learn that is why you ask the question or do you have the answer already. So we can begin dealing with it.

The question again. Can restaurant put itself in motion without people in it?

1 Like

Re: Who Is God? by Nobody: 11:24am On Feb 10, 2018
MrBottle:

everything talks about God
Re: Who Is God? by Nobody: 11:25am On Feb 10, 2018
do you know much about the big bang theory?
Re: Who Is God? by MrBottle: 11:27am On Feb 10, 2018
vaxx:
I ask you a question..... I am expecting an answer.. Do not reply me with question.you are commiting a falacy here. I assume you wanted to learn that is why you ask the question or do you have the answer already. So we can begin dealing with it.

The question again. Can restaurant put itself in motion without people in it?
Do you mean literally or figuratively cos a restaurant which is a house can't move?
Rephrase your question please.
Re: Who Is God? by MrBottle: 11:28am On Feb 10, 2018
Ferisidowu:

everything talks about God
Do not be vague in your answers. Expatiate.
Re: Who Is God? by MrBottle: 11:29am On Feb 10, 2018
Ferisidowu:
do you know much about the big bang theory?
No I don't.
Re: Who Is God? by vaxx: 11:31am On Feb 10, 2018
MrBottle:
Do you mean literally or figuratively cos a restaurant which is a house can't move?
Rephrase your question please.
i am asking you can a restaurant operate itself without people in it? please try as much as possible to read my post well before you reply, do not let me see this discussion as a debate. we should be having discussion here not argument.

1 Like

Re: Who Is God? by Nobody: 11:37am On Feb 10, 2018
MrBottle:
No I don't.

you don't know big bang theory,,,, you don't believe the Bible,,,, how then do you want to be taught about God??,,,, or what makes you think there's no such thing as God,?
Re: Who Is God? by MrBottle: 11:41am On Feb 10, 2018
vaxx:
i am asking you can a restaurant operate itself without people in it? please try as much as possible to read my post well before you reply, do not let me see this discussion as a debate. we should be having discussion here.
You do not sound as if we are having a discussion. You seems irritated by the question. I answered your question with question it becomes a problem. You don't have to comment if you are seeing it as a debate cos I am not going to accept your opinion just because you believe you are in a position of authority to deal it out.

Meanwhile, a restaurant needs people to operate it as it was built by people and should be managed by people.
Re: Who Is God? by MrBottle: 11:46am On Feb 10, 2018
Ferisidowu:

you don't know big bang theory,,,, you don't believe the Bible,,,, how then do you want to be taught about God??,,,, or what makes you think there's no such thing as God,?
These are my questions.
is it possible to know God without using the holy books?
The Torah, Qur'an, Bible etc.
Must this books be quoted to solidify the existence of God?

From your own perspective, human must believe in something. Well I don't and that's why I am trying to make sense of it in the absence of other predominant beliefs
Re: Who Is God? by Nobody: 11:55am On Feb 10, 2018
MrBottle:
These are my questions.
is it possible to know God without using the holy books?
The Torah, Qur'an, Bible etc.
Must this books be quoted to solidify the existence of God?

From your own perspective, human must believe in something. Well I don't and that's why I am trying to make sense of it in the absence of other predominant beliefs

there's something you seem not to know,,, basically humans can't help you if you see them as fools,,,, God can only be known by Revelation....

it your choice to believe or not,,,, no one forces you to believe in him....

come to think of it,,, why doesn't he appear
to everyone... yet that's not an excuse ordinary sense shows that for there to be a creation, there must be a creator

it must be cause before effect

the fact that science complements religion to an extent.....
Re: Who Is God? by godisgood200: 11:59am On Feb 10, 2018
MrBottle:
First off, GOD is not a personal name of any particar deity. It's a tilte like President, Mr, Chief or Sir. Can't can't Buhari is Trump because Trump is a President.

The word GOD, is a common noun for a whole class of deities, and all the deities have their oersinal names.

For us to hava a very interesting conversation, can you plse specify which of the deities we shd be talking about?

It makes no sense to muddle up all the deities into one and call them God.
Re: Who Is God? by godisgood200: 12:01pm On Feb 10, 2018
hakeem4:
god is a term created by people to explain things they do not understand. It’s called god of the gaps.
Hmmm. I'm trying to make sense out of what you said.
Re: Who Is God? by vaxx: 12:03pm On Feb 10, 2018
MrBottle:
You do not sound as if we are having a discussion. You seems irritated by the question. I answered your question with question it becomes a problem. You don't have to comment if you are seeing it as a debate cos I am not going to accept your opinion just because you believe you are in a position of authority to deal it out.

Meanwhile, a restaurant needs people to operate it as it was built by people and should be managed by people.
i understand where you are coming from, i have to put you into check so that you will not follow the same standard people with the same ideology like you follow. my concern is to let you focus on the topic and do not derail it yourself. again do not let me see it as a debate, i never said i am seeing it as a debate. be open minded.

Good, a restaurant needs people to operate it since it was built by people and should also be manage by people. good point

so lets apply the same theory to science theory( big bang). your analogy will invalidate the principle of science . since science indicate the universe has no author and it is managing itself. you can see clearly your own answer has invalidate scientific theory unless you want to argue otherwise.

This is why i said , within yourself rest the truth you are looking for, the nature has given you a logical clue that universe cannot come from nothing and it can not be operated by itself , there must be something behind his wheel. so the something is what the world term as GOD. God is just an appellation, you has an individual may coin your own word to fit your mental position. i prefer calling the something OLODUMARE since that make me comfortable.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Who Is God? by OtemAtum: 12:03pm On Feb 10, 2018
God is Existence and without it, no god can exist.
God has always been. It created the beings we see ad gods today. Within God exists millions of gods such as Atum, Yahweh, Allah, Moloch, Olorun, Enlil, Enki, Marduk, Chimides, Ephradite, etc.

God is a summation of everything.
Re: Who Is God? by MrBottle: 12:05pm On Feb 10, 2018
Ferisidowu:

there's something you seem not to know,,, basically humans can't help you if you see them as fools,,,, God can only be known by Revelation....

it your choice to believe or not,,,, no one forces you to believe in him....

come to think of it,,, why doesn't he appear
to everyone... yet that's not an excuse ordinary sense shows that for there to be a creation, there must be a creator

it must be cause before effect

the fact that science complements religion to an extent.....
How did you established that God is a he , she, or it.
Re: Who Is God? by Nobody: 12:08pm On Feb 10, 2018
MrBottle:
How did you established that God is a he , she, or it.

AM sure you aren't a 10 yr old....
even reason shows that a creator will always be different from creation...

1 Like

Re: Who Is God? by MrBottle: 12:09pm On Feb 10, 2018
vaxx:
i understand where you are coming from, i have to put you into check so that you will not follow the same standard people with the same ideology like you follow. my concern is to let you focus on the topic and do not derail it yourself. again do not let me see it as a debate, i never said i am seeing it as a debate. be open minded.

Good, a restaurant needs people to operate it since it was built by people and should also be manage by people. good point

so lets apply the same theory to science theory( big bang). your analogy will invalidate the principle of science . since science indicate the universe has no author and it is managing itself. you can see clearly your own answer has invalidate scientific theory unless you want to argue otherwise.

This is why i said , within yourself rest the truth you are looking for, the nature has given you a logical clue that universe cannot come from nothing and it can not be operated by itself , there must be a something behind his wheel. so the something is what the world term as GOD. God is just an appellation, you has an individual may coin your own word to fit your mental position. i prefer calling the something OLODUMARE since that make me comfortable.

Fair enough for my quest.
Thanks

1 Like

Re: Who Is God? by MrBottle: 12:13pm On Feb 10, 2018
Ferisidowu:

AM sure you aren't a 10 yr old....
even reason shows that a creator will always be different from creation...
How is your first paragraph an answer to my question? If believe in the Bible God then he is a He to you but not to others...that's why I asked...how did you know that God is a he , She or it?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Where Is The Evolution? / Nigerian Lady, Okemzuruoke Drags God On Twitter Over Some Bible Pages / Where is Father X-mas ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.