Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,434 members, 7,826,681 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 06:15 PM

Lagos Is A Cosmopolitan State : The Yoruba Language Bill Violates People's Right - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Is A Cosmopolitan State : The Yoruba Language Bill Violates People's Right (5045 Views)

CJN Visit Buhari, Violates Code Of Conduct Of The Judiciary / Breaking: We Stand By IPOB - African Commission On Human & People's Right / Is There Any Cosmopolitan State In South East Region?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Is A Cosmopolitan State : The Yoruba Language Bill Violates People's Right by coolscott(m): 2:26am On Feb 14, 2018
tochukwuifediba:
The recently passed Yoruba language Bill failed to put into consideration the Cosmopolitan Nature of Lagos state and the Rights of Every Nigerian to acquire basic and Fundamental Education through out the Federation without restriction based on tribe or religious affliation .

The Bill by itself is self discriminatory against over 250 plus ethnic groups who constitutes the Free Citizens of Nigeria hence should be quashed and declare Null and Viod and of no effect .

In enacting such law the Lagos state Assembly Go beyond its bounds and limits and made laws that are directly in conflict not only with the Nigeria laws but also Fundamental Human Right to Education,

Nigeria official and recognise lingua franca as a means of Acceptable mode of communication remain the ENGLISH LANGUAGE both in oral and written form , until such a time the Nigeria state shall make future inclusion and redefine the nature of our collective union I urge the National Assembly , Senate , The Presidency , Supreme court and all Citizens of Nigeria to condemn in the strongest term such policy , and that the bill in question be Declare Null and Viod and of no effect whatsoever

Mazi Tochukwu Ifeduba
( Anambra State , Nigeria )
I support the bill.
Our languages are dying.
Who else to preserve a language but the owners of the language?
Where else to protect it but in the geographical space of its origins?

If Igbos don't like, let them not go and do the same in Igbo land.

Besides, isn't it a plus that other ethnic groups living in Lagos state have a new opportunity to learn the language and the culture of the natives there? It is a plus for them to end up being bilingual (in terms of Nigerian languages) knowing their language along with Yoruba

**Modified

I don't think they should make it a must that a student seeking to school in any of their tertiary universities should have a pass in Yoruba language.

They will be making their schools more local (less diversity as folks from destinations far from Lagos, and with different cultures) will not come to the university because they cannot speak (or write) in Yoruba
Re: Lagos Is A Cosmopolitan State : The Yoruba Language Bill Violates People's Right by oyatz(m): 6:20am On Feb 14, 2018
I agree with you sir, except on the last paragraph.

There are many Nigerians, Asians, Arabs who are studying in German universities after a mandatory 6month training in German language, the same applies to Ukrainian and Swedish universities.

coolscott:

I support the bill.
Our languages are dying.
Who else to preserve a language but the owners of the language?
Where else to protect it but in the geographical space of its origins?

If Igbos don't like, let them not go and do the same in Igbo land.

Besides, isn't it a plus that other ethnic groups living in Lagos state have a new opportunity to learn the language and the culture of the natives there? It is a plus for them to end up being bilingual (in terms of Nigerian languages) knowing their language along with Yoruba

**Modified

I don't think they should make it a must that a student seeking to school in any of their tertiary universities should have a pass in Yoruba language.

They will be making their schools more local (less diversity as folks from destinations far from Lagos, and with different cultures) will not come to the university because they cannot speak (or write) in Yoruba
Re: Lagos Is A Cosmopolitan State : The Yoruba Language Bill Violates People's Right by valentineuwakwe(m): 7:47am On Feb 14, 2018
i dnt think so..lets not be sentimental in this bill....our indigenous languages is dying and somerhing need to be done...imagine me an ibo, grow up in lagos but dont know how to speak jy ibo language well cos my parents were using eother english or pidgin to communicate to us...the bill says, lagos state institutions and not the federal ones...no doubt the bill consider the large nature of lagos and did not infridge on any one right to anything......back in those those, you must study in class and write in any major exam one nigerian languages, now the case is being different....we must do things the right way.
Lagos will be great again..i suppose the bill 200 percent

1 Like

Re: Lagos Is A Cosmopolitan State : The Yoruba Language Bill Violates People's Right by maclatunji: 8:56am On Feb 14, 2018
deomelllo:

Lagos state followed the government recommended guidelines and the constitution.

Apparently, you don't appreciate that Lagos state has gone on to exclude people that don't speak a local language that is not the official language of the country. This is different from encouraging use of local language as a means of instruction.
Re: Lagos Is A Cosmopolitan State : The Yoruba Language Bill Violates People's Right by Guestlander: 9:14am On Feb 14, 2018
?
Re: Lagos Is A Cosmopolitan State : The Yoruba Language Bill Violates People's Right by ModsWillKillNL: 9:24am On Feb 14, 2018
letusbepieces:
THIS BILL IS VERY NICE ON PAPER BUT WILL HAVE THE INSURMOUNTABLE CONSTITUTION OF THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA TO CONTEND WITH, THE MINUTE THEY TRY TO ENFORCE IT.

IT CONTRAVENES NOT ONLY THE CIVIL RIGHTS AND HUMAN RIGHTS OF THE MULTI ETHNIC NIGERIANS BUT IT IS AN AFFRONT TO THE DIVERSITY OF WHICH NIGERIA BOAST.

AMBODE WILL SPEND THE REMAINDER OF HIS TENURE BEING DRAGGED FROM FEDERAL COURT TO FEDERAL SUPREME COURT.

HE WILL REGRET THE DAY HE VENTURED INTO TRIBAL SUPREMACIST POLITICS AND ETHNIC CLEANSING.

Shattap!

The law will be enforced and nothing will happen.

Will you force LASU to give you admission?
Re: Lagos Is A Cosmopolitan State : The Yoruba Language Bill Violates People's Right by coolscott(m): 10:02am On Feb 14, 2018
oyatz:
I agree with you sir, except on the last paragraph.

There are many Nigerians, Asians, Arabs who are studying in German universities after a mandatory 6month training in German language, the same applies to Ukrainian and Swedish universities.

Well... if your universities can be so attractive, then there will be people who will not mind going through a period (to learn and pass Yoruba at a certain level).

But as it is...
(i). That super attractiveness does not exist
(ii). There is no program to teach foreigners and non-yorubas the language before they begin attending classes at the universities
(iii). It is hard to make other Nigerians see reason with it given that English is the lingua franca of the nation.

The absence of (i) and (ii) above gives the whole thing a skewed look.

If (i) and (ii) above are established, then not much worry may be given to (iii).

The other issue is should this new policy be applied to federal universities (owned and funded by the federal govt) situated in Lagos?

- South-south Voice
Re: Lagos Is A Cosmopolitan State : The Yoruba Language Bill Violates People's Right by oyatz(m): 12:25pm On Feb 14, 2018
Thanks for being civil and polite in your response.

1) The attractiveness don't suddenly happened, they are created and this can be replicated in Lagos, Enugu or Yobe States.

2) The institutions can recruit Yoruba teachers for intensive 6month teaching in Yoruba language. This is the practice in ABU,Zaria for citizens of Niger republic who usually undergo 6month intensive training in English language.

3) I strongly urge the Lagos State Government to Assembly a team of experts/scholars in Yoruba language to interpret standard O/L science and mathematics textbooks to Yoruba language which can be used concurrently with the English language versions( for those who wish). There will be greater understanding of the subjects if students are thought in their mother tongues in addition to English language (bilingual).

4) The FG has already gazetted Yoruba, Hausa &Igbo languages as major languages which a student must study atleadt one (I studied Hausa &Yoruba ),besides the law doesn't apply to federal schools.

coolscott:

Well... if your universities can be so attractive, then there will be people who will not mind going through a period (to learn and pass Yoruba at a certain level).

But as it is...
(i). That super attractiveness does not exist
(ii). There is no program to teach foreigners and non-yorubas the language before they begin attending classes at the universities
(iii). It is hard to make other Nigerians see reason with it given that English is the lingua franca of the nation.

The absence of (i) and (ii) above gives the whole thing a skewed look.

If (i) and (ii) above are established, then not much worry may be given to (iii).

The other issue is should this new policy be applied to federal universities (owned and funded by the federal govt) situated in Lagos?

- South-south Voice

1 Like

Re: Lagos Is A Cosmopolitan State : The Yoruba Language Bill Violates People's Right by wale2day: 12:45pm On Feb 14, 2018
I dont see wat all this noise is about sef
Re: Lagos Is A Cosmopolitan State : The Yoruba Language Bill Violates People's Right by btee13(m): 2:06pm On Feb 14, 2018
God that created us, did not limit us to what we can do or achieved ,has anybody seen a barack grown up child before ? They mostly speak many languages. I admire many deltans in lagos they speak even more than the owner of yoruba. Only limited soul would think the way op is thinking. There can't be a perfect law, regonalism has been target of yoruba nation and that is what they working seriously on it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

2019: Atiku Finally Travelled To USA / PDP Fake News Of The Day. Pictures. / A Disgraced And Fugitive Lawyer Should Never Be Speaker

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.