Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,769 members, 7,841,000 topics. Date: Sunday, 26 May 2024 at 06:48 PM

Lagos Is A Cosmopolitan State : The Yoruba Language Bill Violates People's Right - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Is A Cosmopolitan State : The Yoruba Language Bill Violates People's Right (5069 Views)

CJN Visit Buhari, Violates Code Of Conduct Of The Judiciary / Breaking: We Stand By IPOB - African Commission On Human & People's Right / Is There Any Cosmopolitan State In South East Region?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Is A Cosmopolitan State : The Yoruba Language Bill Violates People's Right by Nobody: 2:24pm On Feb 13, 2018
Pigsandidiots:
Story for the pigs. Like i said, you people are nonentity in our land. Of the law is paining you, go and join your ancestors through lagoon.

So you sold your land and houses to nonentities..
And pay rent to you nonentities
grin

Afonjas can be tortoise and funny..

2015/2016 recorded high number of afons jumping lagoon.. grin
Re: Lagos Is A Cosmopolitan State : The Yoruba Language Bill Violates People's Right by baralatie(m): 2:31pm On Feb 13, 2018
tochukwuifediba:

That is why Nigeria Federal Government in her wisdom choose English as the official lingua Franca in Nigeria because of the Cosmopolitan Nature of Nigeria and the versatility of her people .
Such Yoruba Language Bill should be restricted to local gathering and events not interfering in the Educational system of Nigeria to the extend of violating The Constitution and causing disability to other Nigerians
lingual franca is English the fg gazette for Nigerian schools says choose between Hausa,Igbo and Yoruba not Erik,idoma,tiv,ijaw,jukun etc
Lagos state and the south eastern states such as anambra,imo that choose the languages for there schools have not erred
Re: Lagos Is A Cosmopolitan State : The Yoruba Language Bill Violates People's Right by Guestlander: 2:36pm On Feb 13, 2018
tochukwuifediba:

We are one Nigerian's . The law also affects over 250 Ethnic groups in Nigeria potentially over 140 million Nigerians . I won't be drag into the argument of Biafra we are Nigeria Citizens as I speak

You must have said "we are one Nigeria" like 10 times in this thread alone. People like you are what Igbos call unity beggers.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Is A Cosmopolitan State : The Yoruba Language Bill Violates People's Right by Pigsandidiots: 2:37pm On Feb 13, 2018
bounty007:

So you sold your land and houses to nonentities..
And pay rent to you nonentities
grin

Afonjas can be tortoise and funny..

2015/2016 recorded high number of afons jumping lagoon.. grin

Lagoon is calling. Incase you are too hurt. Here is a perfect solution. RIP in advance bro.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Is A Cosmopolitan State : The Yoruba Language Bill Violates People's Right by teufelein(f): 2:41pm On Feb 13, 2018
tochukwuifediba:
The recently passed Yoruba language Bill failed to put into consideration the Cosmopolitan Nature of Lagos state and the Rights of Every Nigerian to acquire basic and Fundamental Education through out the Federation without restriction based on tribe or religious affliation .

The Bill by itself is self discriminatory against over 250 plus ethnic groups who constitutes the Free Citizens of Nigeria hence should be quashed and declare Null and Viod and of no effect .

In enacting such law the Lagos state Assembly Go beyond its bounds and limits and made laws that are directly in conflict not only with the Nigeria laws but also Fundamental Human Right to Education,

Nigeria official and recognise lingua franca as a means of Acceptable mode of communication remain the ENGLISH LANGUAGE both in oral and written form , until such a time the Nigeria state shall make future inclusion and redefine the nature of our collective union I urge the National Assembly , Senate , The Presidency , Supreme court and all Citizens of Nigeria to condemn in the strongest term such policy , and that the bill in question be Declare Null and Viod and of no effect whatsoever

Mazi Tochukwu Ifeduba
( Anambra State , Nigeria )

mister, your head is not normal. is lagos not part of yorubaland? if you must stay in lagos go and learn yoruba language or stop making unnecessary noise here. for your information i am from great Igbo Nation. let yoruba do whatever they wish is good to preserve their language. nobody is stopping ndiigbo to pass similar bill in Igboland.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Is A Cosmopolitan State : The Yoruba Language Bill Violates People's Right by Nobody: 2:43pm On Feb 13, 2018
Pigsandidiots:
Lagoon is calling. Incase you are too hurt. Here is a perfect solution. RIP in advance bro.

You able Yoruba..guess you're much close to the lagoon than I do...

Enjoy your dive..
Btwn your laws means nothing..

We investors don't need language to transact..
Come in ..pay one omonile chief he do the interpretation..I pay him peas for his generational property..

I established my business and sail on..

Bleep language..made men speak money.
Re: Lagos Is A Cosmopolitan State : The Yoruba Language Bill Violates People's Right by Nobody: 2:47pm On Feb 13, 2018
teufelein:

mister, your head is not normal. is lagos not part of yorubaland? if you must stay in lagos go and learn yoruba language or stop making unnecessary noise here. for your information i am from great Igbo Nation. let yoruba do whatever they wish is good to preserve their language. nobody is stopping ndiigbo to pass similar bill in Igboland.

Igbo wanna be..
Your head is normal..with a sour brain?

1 Like

Re: Lagos Is A Cosmopolitan State : The Yoruba Language Bill Violates People's Right by omonnakoda: 2:47pm On Feb 13, 2018
We have Sharia in Kano and the Sky has not fallen.
This is a less egregious law than that.

There is absolutely nothing like Cosmopolitan state. All states are identical in our laws. Laos State does not have a special status of any description
It is important to educate the young ones that Lagos state was NEVER the capital of Nigeria.
Lagos City was.
There is a huge difference between the two just as there is in other states named after cities in their domain.

Oyo which is not the capital of OYO state
Kano
Bauchi
Enugu
Sokoto
Kaduna
Kebbi
Ondo
ENUGU CITY was the capital of the Eastern region just like Kaduna city and Ibadanin Northern and Western Nigeria respectively

There is nothing Cosmopolitan about Lagos State.
Badagry, Ikeja, Epe and Ikorodu are 4 of the 5 divisions historically that make up Lagos state. They were not part of the Federal Capital territory. If you want to know the former FCT Look for the former Federal Secretariat, Supreme Court, State House and so on to get an idea of where Nigeria was governed from when Lagos City was the capital
They are very indigenous and very Odua in their outlook

Objection overruled. The law stands.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Is A Cosmopolitan State : The Yoruba Language Bill Violates People's Right by deomelllo: 2:49pm On Feb 13, 2018
Thewesterner:
Maybe it's Just a reminder that LAGOS is not a 'no man's land'... as some clowns posit

This wonderful reminder is what's driving the clowns crazy.

7 Likes

Re: Lagos Is A Cosmopolitan State : The Yoruba Language Bill Violates People's Right by konoplyanka: 2:50pm On Feb 13, 2018
Guestlander:

You must have said "we are one Nigeria" like 10 in this thread alone. People like you are what Igbos call unity beggers.

Lol. grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Lagos Is A Cosmopolitan State : The Yoruba Language Bill Violates People's Right by daywatcher: 2:54pm On Feb 13, 2018
velai:
Abeg allow Yoruba people to promote and preserve their language.
If we can speak English language, why not our indigenous languages? Let us promote our indigenous languages bikonu. If you are a Yoruba, be proud to speak Yoruba language...
As for me Igbo language comes first. I think in Igbo language, I pray in igbo language. I write my diaries in igbo language. I also keep my business records in Igbo language. In my dreams, I speak igbo language. Why Because igbo language is the most important language to me.
O we gi iwe, I gaa kwuo udo cool

Thank you Jare.

7 Likes

Re: Lagos Is A Cosmopolitan State : The Yoruba Language Bill Violates People's Right by Nobody: 3:10pm On Feb 13, 2018
oooduancalmdown:
I have never seen a pathetic, worthless, greedy, and shameless people like iboes. This same people said they want to leave Nigeria while same time poking their ugly nose into what Yoruba peoples' affairs. What kind of a develish tribe is this? Imo and Anambra states implemented this law and no Yoruba man complained. What then is your problem? Your governor even made your primitive language compulsory in the university and no Yoruba man gave a fucck.
I swear, I have never met any irritating people like iboes. No other tribe is pissing on the pant because of this law. If you flatt heads don't like it, then go back to your desolated lands. Nothing in this world stinks and irritate like an iboe person
whenever u come across an Igbo person again, look at yourself and look at the Igbo person from the color of his skin to his physical appearance and image, then ask yourself if there's any difference between the two of you. stop the hate , we are all one. that Igbo man you despise so much might have shared the same forefathers with you until we became culturally divided

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Is A Cosmopolitan State : The Yoruba Language Bill Violates People's Right by deomelllo: 3:13pm On Feb 13, 2018
[s]
tochukwuifediba:
The recently passed Yoruba language Bill failed to put into consideration the Cosmopolitan Nature of Lagos state and the Rights of Every Nigerian to acquire basic and Fundamental Education through out the Federation without restriction based on tribe or religious affliation .

The Bill by itself is self discriminatory against over 250 plus ethnic groups who constitutes the Free Citizens of Nigeria hence should be quashed and declare Null and Viod and of no effect .

In enacting such law the Lagos state Assembly Go beyond its bounds and limits and made laws that are directly in conflict not only with the Nigeria laws but also Fundamental Human Right to Education,

Nigeria official and recognise lingua franca as a means of Acceptable mode of communication remain the ENGLISH LANGUAGE both in oral and written form , until such a time the Nigeria state shall make future inclusion and redefine the nature of our collective union I urge the National Assembly , Senate , The Presidency , Supreme court and all Citizens of Nigeria to condemn in the strongest term such policy , and that the bill in question be Declare Null and Viod and of no effect whatsoever

Mazi Tochukwu Ifeduba
[/s]

What's your fundamental human rights got to do with Lagos state's constitutional rights and capacity to make and enforce state laws in Lagos state?

Other people's human rights didn't bother or concern you when your ipob villages were passing the same language laws, but in Lagos state, it's a huge problem that you have to commit suicide over.

Shouldn't common sense tell you that the fact that your ipob villages passing and enforcing the same laws unchallenged constitutionally means states have constitutional rights to make and enforce their own laws?

I wonder why you people didn't cry, shout or yell human rights when Lagos passed similar laws mandating the Lagos state house of assembly to deliberate in Yoruba language.

Worry and spend more time on your villages instead of Lagos state.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Is A Cosmopolitan State : The Yoruba Language Bill Violates People's Right by bakynes(m): 3:15pm On Feb 13, 2018
konoplyanka:

Who made it the federal commercial capital grin? Backed by which Constitution?

The same Lagos their Senators and House of reps members denied the Lagos Special Status recognition. Whether you like it or not Lagos is no longer the Capital of Nigeria, it is now a Yoruba state.

Whoever that doesn't like it should go and die.

8 Likes

Re: Lagos Is A Cosmopolitan State : The Yoruba Language Bill Violates People's Right by Pigsandidiots: 3:21pm On Feb 13, 2018
bounty007:

Enjoy your dive..

Come in ..pay one omonile chief he do the interpretation..I pay him peas for his generational property..

Hehehehehe.

6 Likes

Re: Lagos Is A Cosmopolitan State : The Yoruba Language Bill Violates People's Right by deomelllo: 3:30pm On Feb 13, 2018
Re: Lagos Is A Cosmopolitan State : The Yoruba Language Bill Violates People's Right by deomelllo: 3:33pm On Feb 13, 2018
iRyan:
whenever u come across an Igbo person again, look at yourself and look at the Igbo person from the color of his skin to his physical appearance and image, then ask yourself if there's any difference between the two of you. stop the hate , we are all one. that Igbo man you despise so much might have shared the same forefathers with you until we became culturally divided

Who and you are one?

Today we are not one because you want your biafra, but tomorrow when it comes to Lagos state, we are one all of a sudden.

SMH...

5 Likes

Re: Lagos Is A Cosmopolitan State : The Yoruba Language Bill Violates People's Right by Nobody: 3:33pm On Feb 13, 2018
Pigsandidiots:
Hehehehehe.

Dey dia make soap enter your eyes

Re: Lagos Is A Cosmopolitan State : The Yoruba Language Bill Violates People's Right by Nobody: 4:15pm On Feb 13, 2018
deomelllo:

Who and you are one?

Today we are not one because you want your biafra, but tomorrow when it comes to Lagos state, we are one all of a sudden.

SMH...

My comment was targeted at his disparaging remarks about Igbos. FYI I'm not pro Biafra neither do I live in Nigeria so I wouldn't care less about whatever bill Lagos State decides to pass as long as nobody gets hurt...

1 Like

Re: Lagos Is A Cosmopolitan State : The Yoruba Language Bill Violates People's Right by deomelllo: 4:20pm On Feb 13, 2018
iRyan:
My comment was targeted at his disparaging remarks about Igbos. FYI I'm not pro Biafra neither do I live in Nigeria so I wouldn't care less about whatever bill Lagos State decides to pass as long as nobody gets hurt...

And you conveniently ignored the disparaging ibo remarks against other people right?

Abeg shift..

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Is A Cosmopolitan State : The Yoruba Language Bill Violates People's Right by Ezkid(m): 5:10pm On Feb 13, 2018
wale2day:

The one Nigeria Yoruba have spoken out against the oduduwa republic Yorubas.

Let us pause for a second and critically analyse the action of Ambode apc.

U claim you want to preserve Yoruba language but yet yoruba hinter state like Oyo, Ogun, Ekiti, Ondo and Osun dont see need to pass such law.

Lagos, the commercial capital of Nigeria with about 70% of its population being nonyoruba is passing bill to impose Yoruba language on non yorubas.

Thus, where by the non yoruba fail to comply, they will be discriminated from going to University.

This begs the question of, does Ambode APC understand the meaning of constitutional human rights?

Aparthied has been born in Lagos
uh
70% of residents of Lagos are non Yorubas?
You must be high on Ghanaian weed!

6 Likes

Re: Lagos Is A Cosmopolitan State : The Yoruba Language Bill Violates People's Right by wristbangle: 5:16pm On Feb 13, 2018
bounty007:

Enjoy your dive..

Your bragging and chest beating is the reason why the Yoruba language enforcement had to happen speedily.

6 Likes

Re: Lagos Is A Cosmopolitan State : The Yoruba Language Bill Violates People's Right by walex2(m): 5:19pm On Feb 13, 2018
tochukwuifediba:

Two wrongs don't make right . The Federal Government should quashed those kind of discriminatory laws whether in Anambra , Imo or Lagos state or Kano .
Every Nigeria have the right and freedom to acquire education in any part of Nigeria without discrimination based on tribe

Do you know the meaning of federating unit? under the nigeria constitution the Supreme court can't deny the State Assembly from making laws for her federating unit. The law said for you to gain admission into STATE OWNED tertiary institution, yoruba must be one of the prerequisite and no supreme court can change that.

look at kano and other northern states with shariah law you cant go there and take alcohol and there is nothing anybody can do about that.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Is A Cosmopolitan State : The Yoruba Language Bill Violates People's Right by Ladex2012: 5:49pm On Feb 13, 2018
tochukwuifediba:

First go to IMO state and complain.

Mazi Tochukwu Ifeduba
Re: Lagos Is A Cosmopolitan State : The Yoruba Language Bill Violates People's Right by Ladex2012: 5:57pm On Feb 13, 2018
letusbepieces:
THIS BILL IS VERY NICE ON PAPER BUT WILL HAVE THE INSURMOUNTABLE CONSTITUTION OF THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA TO CONTEND WITH, THE MINUTE THEY TRY TO ENFORCE IT.

IT CONTRAVENES NOT ONLY THE CIVIL RIGHTS AND HUMAN RIGHTS OF THE MULTI ETHNIC NIGERIANS BUT IT IS AN AFFRONT TO THE DIVERSITY OF WHICH NIGERIA BOAST.

AMBODE WILL SPEND THE REMAINDER OF HIS TENURE BEING DRAGGED FROM FEDERAL COURT TO FEDERAL SUPREME COURT.

HE WILL REGRET THE DAY HE VENTURED INTO TRIBAL SUPREMACIST POLITICS AND ETHNIC CLEANSING.
It doesn't infringe on anyone's right. Compulsory teaching of yoruba in all schools in the state, that is you have to learn the basics 2. You cant discriminate against someone speaking yoruba 3. To get into STATE owned tertiary institution you must have at least a pass in yoruba
Language. If i may ask why dont you want to understand the language of your Host.. To study in germany you have to learn german.. lets preserve our culture... To me its a great development.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Is A Cosmopolitan State : The Yoruba Language Bill Violates People's Right by baralatie(m): 6:46pm On Feb 13, 2018
Ladex2012:

It doesn't infringe on anyone's right. Compulsory teaching of yoruba in all schools in the state, that is you have to learn the basics 2. You cant discriminate against someone speaking yoruba 3. To get into STATE owned tertiary institution you must have at least a pass in yoruba
Language. If i may ask why dont you want to understand the language of your Host.. To study in germany you have to learn german.. lets preserve our culture... To me its a great development.
the part concerning the tertiary institution admission will not work because the admission rules does not recognise language courses as a prerequisite for admission
Re: Lagos Is A Cosmopolitan State : The Yoruba Language Bill Violates People's Right by ollyruffy: 7:23pm On Feb 13, 2018
If you don't like the law, then go back to your state. It is not by force to live in Lagos.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Is A Cosmopolitan State : The Yoruba Language Bill Violates People's Right by Nobody: 8:28pm On Feb 13, 2018
deomelllo:

And you conveniently ignored the disparaging ibo remarks against other people right?

Abeg shift..

if they were I didn't notice as I sometimes do not read threads from start to finish. And the tone of your comments are quite harsh like you have been beefing with me for a long time or something or does it prove the notion that Nigerians are generally inherently angry people?

1 Like

Re: Lagos Is A Cosmopolitan State : The Yoruba Language Bill Violates People's Right by oyatz(m): 11:26pm On Feb 13, 2018
Bros, there is nothing like 'Federal state' in Nigeria, we only have ONE FEDERAL CAPITAL TERRITORY I.e Abuja.
What's the meaning of regional State?

redsun:

Lagos is a federal state,unlike imo that is regional.There won't be much qualms enacting such law in ondo,ogun and other yoruba regional state.

I love the move,but it shouldn't be made compulsory to non yorubas,unless other two major languages are included,to give options to students of non yoruba origin.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Is A Cosmopolitan State : The Yoruba Language Bill Violates People's Right by maclatunji: 11:38pm On Feb 13, 2018
tochukwuifediba:

Mazi Tochukwu Ifeduba

I would like to see this law challenged in court especially the Supreme Court. It should be very interesting how the justices see it.
Re: Lagos Is A Cosmopolitan State : The Yoruba Language Bill Violates People's Right by deomelllo: 11:51pm On Feb 13, 2018
maclatunji:

I would like to see this law challenged in court especially the Supreme Court. It should be very interesting how the justices see it.

National Policy on Education (NPE) stipulates that the medium of instruction should be the language of the immediate environment of the child. Schools are free to select such Nigerian Language to be taught.

http://www.nerdc.org.ng/eCurriculum/CurriculumSTructure.aspx

Lagos state followed the government recommended guidelines and the constitution.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigeria Owes Iocs $5.1b, Says NNPC / Advice To President Buhari About EFCC And Yahoo. / National Assembly Transmits ₦13.5 Trillion Budget To Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.