Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,478 members, 7,816,128 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:01 AM

Governor Ambode Registers For His National Identity Card - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Governor Ambode Registers For His National Identity Card (16966 Views)

Sanusi Auwalu: Not Getting National Identity Number To Attract 3-Month Jail Term / Why Does It Take NIMC So Long To Give Out National Identity Card? / FG To Merge BVN, Driver’s Licence, National Identity Card (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Governor Ambode Registers For His National Identity Card by omonnakoda: 9:47pm On Feb 14, 2018
deji17:

You get worked up over nothing. You jumped into so many conclusions without fully understanding what I wrote. I understand the so called advanced country system of identification as I lived it. No be dem say...
In the US, you have the Social security number (SSN), In Canada, you have the Social Insurance number (SIN), etc..
These are unique identification numbers that can be used to identify an individual
If you are getting a drivers licence, opening a bank account etc, you will be required to provide this number or any other document that is already linked to that number.
My reference to Biometric is particular to Nigeria where you are asked to take one each time you are getting a new document from Govt or even renew existing ones.
I understand perfectly what you wrote .
Not what is in your mind.
In the US they do not, again do not capture biometrics of their citizens.
Social security number is not relevant to personal identity and has no biometric component to it.
Any criminal can get your social security number just like your phone number so stop trying to widen the discussion to distract from the nonsense you wrote.
It is not used in most countries for identification
There is no comparison between Nigeria and the USA on this matter because they do not capture biometric data.
What you fail to acknowledge is that they have been keeping records of births for decades if not centuries. We are new to the game and using a technology that is new as well.
In the USA different departments do not share personal information as you seem to suggest and that is why identity theft remains possible
Re: Governor Ambode Registers For His National Identity Card by deji17: 9:49pm On Feb 14, 2018
omonnakoda:

I understand perfectly what you wrote .
Not what is in your mind.
In the US they do not, again do not capture biometrics of their citizens.
Social security number is not relevant to personal identity and has no biometric component to it.
Any criminal can get your social security number just like your phone number so stop trying to widen the discussion to distract from the nonsense you wrote.

There is no comparison between Nigeria and the USA on this matter because they do not capture biometric data.
What you fail to acknowledge is that they have been keeping records of births for decades if not centuries. We are new to the game and using a technology that is new as well.
In the USA different departments do not share personal information as you seem to suggest and that is why identity theft remains possible

My reference to Biometric is particular to Nigeria where you are asked to take one each time you are getting a new document from Govt or even renew existing ones.

I think you have other issues apart from what I wrote. You can go on ranting then.
Re: Governor Ambode Registers For His National Identity Card by joseph1212(m): 9:53pm On Feb 14, 2018
And he got it immediately..but since last 4weeks to collect mine has been war..each time I go to collect they will tell me no light...maybe they want me to turn into light here in ksduna
Re: Governor Ambode Registers For His National Identity Card by omonnakoda: 9:54pm On Feb 14, 2018
deji17:

I think you have other issues apart from what I wrote. You can go on ranting then.
You reference Nigeria but then reference ADVANCED COUNTRIES
Can you mention ONE advanced country that captures biometric data of its citizens

JUST ONE
Re: Governor Ambode Registers For His National Identity Card by deji17: 10:00pm On Feb 14, 2018
omonnakoda:

You reference Nigeria but then reference ADVANCED COUNTRIES
Can you mention ONE advanced country that captures biometric data of its citizens

JUST ONE

Again, my reference to Biometric is particular to Nigeria where you are asked to take one each time you are getting a new document from Govt or even renew existing ones.

My reference to advanced country is in the sense that your identification number can be linked to other things like you opening a bank account, getting a drivers license, filling your tax, getting social benefits etc.
What I wrote is that Nigeria Govt can link this data instead of asking for Nigerians to come for data capture for every Govt documents or identification.
Re: Governor Ambode Registers For His National Identity Card by wiringdpt(m): 10:03pm On Feb 14, 2018
You're right but greed won't let them do it that way.
deji17:
We should not be doing all these duplication in 2018.
Can we have a data collation center that will harmonize all the personal identification documents?
That is, if you have any of the following : National ID Card, Drivers licence, BVN, Nigeria Passport, PVC, then you can use the same information to generate any of the others since they all default to one's biometric information like the finger print.

We are far behind and we need to pick up our pace...
We need to start working smart...

1 Like

Re: Governor Ambode Registers For His National Identity Card by rafson37(m): 10:31pm On Feb 14, 2018
deji17:
Can we have a data collation center that will harmonize all the personal identification documents?
That is, if you have any of the following : National ID Card, Drivers licence, BVN, Nigeria Passport, PVC, then you can use the same information to generate any of the others since they all default to one's biometric information like the finger print.

bvn nd national i.d has been harmonised since. and from 2018 upward no NIN no. no passport
Re: Governor Ambode Registers For His National Identity Card by booblacain(m): 10:53pm On Feb 14, 2018
deji17:

You no want make boys chop abi.
Re: Governor Ambode Registers For His National Identity Card by omonnakoda: 11:12pm On Feb 14, 2018
deji17:

Again, my reference to Biometric is particular to Nigeria where you are asked to take one each time you are getting a new document from Govt or even renew existing ones.

My reference to advanced country is in the sense that your identification number can be linked to other things like you opening a bank account, getting a drivers license, filling your tax, getting social benefits etc.
What I wrote is that Nigeria Govt can link this data instead of asking for Nigerians to come for data capture for every Govt documents or identification.
Linked ?
Can be ? Is that always the case?
Are they not linked in Nigeria?
Can you open bank account without ID in Nigeria ?
The question of duplication arises because the technology is new and law is usually behind technology
There is no,NOT ONE of the so called developed countries that is ahead of Nigeria as far as using biometric data to identify citizens is concerned.

There are timetabled plans to harmonise data but with new technologies legislation must be careful and that is why you do not see the US taking fingerprints of citizens anyhow.
The security implications of harmonisation are largely unknown as are the risks and abuse potential.
You are just sounding off and slating Nigeria needlessly.
I think the process is evolving at a reasonable pace and in 10 years time we will not only be proud of what we have but a world leader

What those shouting harmonisation upandan fail to realise is how data is stored, who stores it and the immense power that concentration of data gives.
It is not as innocuous as people naively think.
Not only internally but internationally this data can be used in ways that are unimaginable by those with bad intentions and no nation is that advanced to understand it fully
The reality is such harmonisation will potentially erase any kind of privacy and fundamentally empower the government in a new way alien to democracy.
For now many Western democracies balk at that
Re: Governor Ambode Registers For His National Identity Card by Shaev7(m): 11:15pm On Feb 14, 2018
pode:
Of which his own (permanent card) may likely come out before the week run out why me that registered 2013 have not yet receive my card
There is God o
So me and you dey the same shoe for this Mata. Bros correction, him go don collect his own instantly not even before week runs out
Re: Governor Ambode Registers For His National Identity Card by adeoba2008(m): 2:00am On Feb 15, 2018
Obviously , they came to his office to register him ...
Re: Governor Ambode Registers For His National Identity Card by Nobody: 2:45am On Feb 15, 2018
Two years and counting no card yet after my registration,the whole process is very slow
Re: Governor Ambode Registers For His National Identity Card by liljaydee(m): 9:59am On Feb 15, 2018
na the next day he go receive the permanent card oooo... mtceeww!!!! paadi paadi government undecided undecided undecided
Re: Governor Ambode Registers For His National Identity Card by odaniel1(m): 3:51pm On Feb 15, 2018
If they can give the Governor a slip instead of the plastic ID card, who am i to expect mine

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Peter Obi Holds Town Hall Meeting With Ondo State Students (Pictures) / Tinubu Sympathises With Parents Of Ivan Omhonrina Killed By Stray Bullet / SERAP Issues Tinubu 48 Hours To Reverse Ban On 25 Media Outfits

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.