Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,191 members, 7,822,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:24 AM

Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? (28085 Views)

Chevening Scholarship 2022 Applicants Gather Here! / Chevening Scholarship Programme 2022/2023 For Study In The United Kingdom / 6 Months HVAC Training Scholarship Or My 50k Sanitization Officer Job? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by Puzzypleazer: 2:08pm On Feb 15, 2018
Who school ep
Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by zicoraads: 2:09pm On Feb 15, 2018
Are you kidding me? Take that scholarship and go. Better opportunities await you when you are done. Take it bro.

3 Likes

Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by Sunbassen(m): 2:10pm On Feb 15, 2018
Leo3333:

Yes

Consider the scholarship!

1 Like

Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by Mintek: 2:12pm On Feb 15, 2018
Sunbassen:

Is the 240k net?

Yes.
Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by HiredGames(m): 2:16pm On Feb 15, 2018
What is your end game?

1 Like

Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by seunnuga: 2:17pm On Feb 15, 2018
yang:
Chevening

Escape the zoo called Nigeria

Dont come back until they divide the zoo

All chevening scholars are required to go back to their home country and contribute to its development after their masters. There is no escaping to anywhere.

7 Likes

Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by Sexyolori(f): 2:19pm On Feb 15, 2018
i think u should take d chevening scholarship,it will better position u in ur career. u can lose ur job few months after employment,opportunities like d chevening scholarship r not regular occurences.all d best...

1 Like

Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by seunnuga: 2:19pm On Feb 15, 2018
I will advise you to take up the JOB and start your career, after chevening you are required to come back home and join the hustle.

6 Likes

Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by wonder233: 2:21pm On Feb 15, 2018
OP, if you are just a normal individual with no real connections, then stick with your job, save, diversify your income and in a shortwhile, you won't only be financially comfortable, you will even be able to take time off to go do your masters without this dilemma.
But, if you're sufficiently confident of your connections that can help you get another job without much of a fuss, then go ahead and do the masters.
The operative word here is 'connection'. Foreign masters isn't the magic wand it used to be a decade ago, the Nigerian labour market has evolved far away from that... Now, it is strictly connection plus work experience.

8 Likes

Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by Qshigb: 2:22pm On Feb 15, 2018
Consider these:

1. After your masters program you only have 3 to 4 month to stay in UK, unless you extend your stay by apply for another program

2. Don't expect to get a good or better job, because students are not allowed to do full time. You can only get menials jjobs such as cleaning and security.

3. If you decide to come back to Nigeria after your study consider the time it may take you yo get better job

3. If you really wish to go, I will advise you take study leave from work, or if you can afford the cost you can manage the two, you will just be travelling may be once in every month for the 1st 2semesters, the Las semester doesn't require your class attendance, bcis its just for research, you only need to communicate with your supervisor via mails and others. Best of luck

4 Likes

Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by redangel2017: 2:24pm On Feb 15, 2018
I think this is a trap to remove u frm ur paying job.. Masters holders will grab youth must work form with all ther heart... angry

2 Likes

Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by SensaGreene: 2:28pm On Feb 15, 2018
Qshigb:
Consider these:

1. After your masters program you only have 3 to 4 month to stay in UK, unless you extend your stay by apply for another program

2. Don't expect to get a good or better job, because students are not allowed to do full time. You can only get menials jjobs such as cleaning and security.

3. If you decide to come back to Nigeria after your study consider the time it may take you yo get better job

4. If you really wish to go, I will advise you take study leave from work, or if you can afford the cost you can manage the two, you will just be travelling may be once in every month for the 1st 2semesters, the Las semester doesn't require your class attendance, bcis its just for research, you only need to communicate with your supervisor via mails and others. Best of luck

Op I was about typing something like this. A lot of UK foreign M.So graduates are unable to secure skilled jobs within the 4months window and just yesterday, my family friend in Leeds was complaining that most jobs he applied for, they won't grant him sponsorship for tier 2visa and some others will be wondering how he obtained ACCA and M.Sc. sadly he has booked his flight to return at the end of this month. I completely understand that individual cases differ so I wouldn't use this situation and all others I know to deter you. However, if your job doesn't have a path for career progression or job security, then you should take up the scholarship and probably think ahead like also applying for Canadian express entry program and jobs whilst in the UK as some friends I know did this and moved on to Canada after their studies. All the best

8 Likes

Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by auwalyau: 2:29pm On Feb 15, 2018
Go for Chevening

1 Like

Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by able20(m): 2:29pm On Feb 15, 2018
zicoraads:
Are you kidding me? Take that scholarship and go. Better opportunities await you when you are done. Take it bro.
Where are all the opportunities in Nigeria? Is he the only Masters holder.
Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by Leo3333: 2:30pm On Feb 15, 2018
Qshigb:
Consider these:

3. If you really wish to go, I will advise you take study leave from work, or if you can afford the cost you can manage the two, you will just be travelling may be once in every month for the 1st 2semesters, the Las semester doesn't require your class attendance, bcis its just for research, you only need to communicate with your supervisor via mails and others. Best of luck

Thanks.
Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by Nobody: 2:32pm On Feb 15, 2018
Leo3333:
Helo Nairalanders/Chevening Alumni,

Kindly advise:

Would you recommend that I quit my current N240k-paying job for a Chevening (UK Masters Degree) Scholarship slot?
Chevening alumni in the house, please advise and share your experiences during and post-study.

Please help me reach Nairalanders.

I was in a similar dilemma last year. I went for the scholarship anyway. Look though the thread i created, some of the responses were very useful.

3 Likes

Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by biacan(f): 2:34pm On Feb 15, 2018
efesodje:

I work in the industry so I speak from experience. Please take the Chevening scholarship. Before your graduation there are campus recruitment summits where companies like Shell, Schlumberger come to pick talents. You are 85% sure of getting a good job with the UK degree. While doing my Masters I knew a chevening scholar (same school), he got a job with Statoil on graduation. Please take the chevening scholarship. Don't think twice. Congrats cool
So you work with an oil company and you haven't come and see my parents lipsrsealed undecided

1 Like

Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by Emasel(m): 2:39pm On Feb 15, 2018
Pepsi101:
Leave for the masters,if your results are good,you'd get a better offer.

It's not that easy. There are many people that came back with Distinctions from their UK Msc but could not secure a lucrative job with the degree.

1 Like

Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by chloride6: 2:40pm On Feb 15, 2018
tensazangetsu20:
It's a UK masters. Take the job, if it was the USA or Canada I would have advised you to go but a UK masters is worthless in Nigeria.

You will not DIE young
Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by Xcely: 2:41pm On Feb 15, 2018
Leo3333:
Helo Nairalanders/Chevening Alumni,

Kindly advise:

Would you recommend that I quit my current N240k-paying job for a Chevening (UK Masters Degree) Scholarship slot?
Chevening alumni in the house, please advise and share your experiences during and post-study.

Please help me reach Nairalanders.

From the advice of an alumnus, I’ll say you should go for the
Scholarship.
1.) Like someone hinted, there are several organisations recruiting African talents for jobs in Africa through the CareersAfrica platform. Bosch, African Import Export Bank, Unilever, Nestle, etc Every year in London these recruitments happen. Just be on the lookout for this particular career fair.

2) From January 11th, the UK passed a law allowing international students on a tier 4 to stay back after their masters for Atleast aleast a year during which if they find a job, they can remain. This might apply from the incoming 2018/2019 set. This changes everything from before. Definitely puts the UK at par with countries like Canada etc that have similar timelines after visa expiry. It’s even better cos the UK has numerous jobs and many more to come with Brexit taking its toll.

7 Likes

Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by ksstroud: 2:41pm On Feb 15, 2018
Dear OP,

You are the only one that knows the conditions and environment surrounding your present job; without an insight into it, I will only speak on surface view.
Ceteris paribus, your scholarship stands you a chance for better future if you utilize the opportunity very well.
After your graduation, a new gig will come that will make this your current earning to become a tithe...
Then, what happened to the option of study leave?
Even if your organization gives no room for that, still try to walk up to your line manager or the Head of HR. No harm in trial.

In a nut shell, if you ask me a million times; it is the scholarship I will pick...

7 Likes

Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by Ikemefuna44: 2:41pm On Feb 15, 2018
OP,
THIS IS THE BEST ADVICE!
QUIT your job. Go for the scholarship. Meanwhile, kindly recommend ME to replace you at your hitherto workplace. I have a Master's degree, but I don't have a job. I need a job badly.
I hope to hear from you.
Contact me on: 08039153177

3 Likes

Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by olumbest(m): 2:42pm On Feb 15, 2018
Bros, abi na gal, dnt quit that job. Unless d job na ur papa get am. You knw most scholarships require u returning to ur country of origin (dnt knw abt chevenin though) but dnt let the job out.

2 Likes

Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by bankylan: 2:42pm On Feb 15, 2018
tensazangetsu20:
It's a UK masters. Take the job, if it was the USA or Canada I would have advised you to go but a UK masters is worthless in Nigeria.

Not from Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, Cranfield, Bath, Wawrick.......................

3 Likes

Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by liyaha(m): 2:42pm On Feb 15, 2018
Apply for study leave in your present coy and go for the scholarship. If they agree fine if not then proceed and pray

2 Likes

Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by DIVFAVOR(m): 2:45pm On Feb 15, 2018
My friend I will say something different, it all depends on the school you are going to in UK, do your research very well. There are schools in UK that after Masters you can spend more than one year in other European countries and with your good IELTS a post doctorate awaits you. or You will be gifted an eighteen months Visa in Australia either to work or study and i bet you work will look for you, before you know it, your PR is looking at you. Wish you the best in your new design of Life. For me I will gladly grab the scholarship because I know what i want.
Gracia.

8 Likes

Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by Leo3333: 2:47pm On Feb 15, 2018
Xcely:

From the advice of an alumnus, I’ll say you should go for the
Scholarship.
1.) Like someone hinted, there are several organisations recruiting African talents for jobs in Africa through the CareersAfrica platform. Bosch, African Import Export Bank, Unilever, Nestle, etc Every year in London these recruitments happen. Just be on the lookout for this particular career fair.

2) From January 11th, the UK passed a law allowing international students on a tier 4 to stay back after their masters for Atleast aleast a year during which if they find a job, they can remain. This might apply from the incoming 2018/2019 set. This changes everything from before. Definitely puts the UK at par with countries like Canada etc that have similar timelines after visa expiry. It’s even better cos the UK has numerous jobs and many more to come with Brexit taking its toll.

Thanks bro.
Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by wolebest: 2:48pm On Feb 15, 2018
I hope you have already built a house and save enough to fall on with the 240k salary or else when you come back from UK, you will begin to hustle from square one. As much as its good to go for the Masters abroad, please insure yourself and family. God will give you the wisdom.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by westluska(m): 2:48pm On Feb 15, 2018
sunbbo:
grin

Here is my 1 cent,

N240,000/m salary is not easy to come about in Nigeria, if you are sure of getting good job after your Master Program in UK you can go. But if you are not, get your Master Degree here and continue your current job. Don't leave you current for Master Degree and come back to join Job seekers.

Thanks.

You couldn't have said it any better.. Daalu wink
Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by chloride6: 2:58pm On Feb 15, 2018
bankylan:

Not from Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, Cranfield, Bath, Wawrick.......................

You'll be surpirised. i know a guy, who left his 300k first bank job to do economics at manchester. Saved up 6 million.

4 years later, he's father had to help him marry a wife and rent self contain.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Woman Loses Pregnancy After Alleged Kick From Lebanese Boss / Lady Narrates How Lagos Bus Conductor Returned Her Purse And Even Sent An Email / N-Power Volunteers, How Are You Coping Without March Stipend During Lockdown?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.