Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,022 members, 7,953,062 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 10:06 AM

Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? (28644 Views)

Chevening Scholarship 2022 Applicants Gather Here! / Chevening Scholarship Programme 2022/2023 For Study In The United Kingdom / 6 Months HVAC Training Scholarship Or My 50k Sanitization Officer Job? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by Breadfruit: 4:36pm On Feb 15, 2018
I hope it's not Diamond Bank that you are picking over the scholarship? You better be smart and make hay while the sun shines.
Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by dotun365: 4:36pm On Feb 15, 2018
dotun365:
If you don't have dependents like parents and siblings, I think you should go for the chevenning scholarship. the MSc + the fact that you'll become a chevening scholar means that you chances of getting a better job either here or outside the country would receive a boost. If someone could employ you and pay you 240k then I think you are competent enough to take a break from working and come back to the workforce with stronger negotiating power.

Plus you get to change your environment

1 Like

Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by Adesolomon2014(m): 4:41pm On Feb 15, 2018
realmindz:

my cousin earned more than that before he got the chevening scholarship 2 years ago, now he's in a far better place

I hope that cousin of urs isnt imaginary sha.
Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by chioma134: 5:32pm On Feb 15, 2018
@Op, take chevening scholarship. A word is enough for the wise.
Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by Leo3333: 5:33pm On Feb 15, 2018
tonysmart2017:
for better future prospect. Please quit & take it.

Thanks bro.
Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by Leo3333: 5:34pm On Feb 15, 2018
Pepsi101:
Leave for the masters,if your results are good,you'd get a better offer.

Thanks.
Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by Leo3333: 5:35pm On Feb 15, 2018
Kampack:
cant you apply for a study leave

Thanks bro.
The problem is I'm not eligible for that just yet.
Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by Leo3333: 5:35pm On Feb 15, 2018
Harwoyeez:
chevening scholarship, u will earn more when u are done sef

Thanks.
Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by Leo3333: 5:36pm On Feb 15, 2018
tensazangetsu20:
It's a UK masters. Take the job, if it was the USA or Canada I would have advised you to go but a UK masters is worthless in Nigeria.

Thanks.
Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by Leo3333: 5:37pm On Feb 15, 2018
realmindz:

my cousin earned more than that before he got the chevening scholarship 2 years ago, now he's in a far better place

Thanks bro.
Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by Leo3333: 5:39pm On Feb 15, 2018
gunners160:
I really wonder what is wrong with this country self. Some people are looking for jobs while some dnt appreciate what they have.. Let me be frank with you OP,having a masters degree is gud in fact perfect but nothing beats work experience.
Go to UK and have a master and at the end of the day you start looking for job on the street maybe then you will appreciate the work you once had.
If You knw,that you dnt have somebody that knws somebody somewhere, beta just stay with your job

LOL.
Thanks bro.
I actually "don't have somebody that knows somebody somewhere"[b][/b].
Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by Leo3333: 5:42pm On Feb 15, 2018
NaijaEfcc:
You have a 240k job yet still dey look for scholarship!!! angry No vex me na Una dey spoil this country!! Beta respect yourself and continue with your job!!!

cheesy grin
Bro no vex, no be fight.
Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by Leo3333: 5:43pm On Feb 15, 2018
zicoraads:
Are you kidding me? Take that scholarship and go. Better opportunities await you when you are done. Take it bro.

Thanks bro.
Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by Leo3333: 5:46pm On Feb 15, 2018
wonder233:
OP, if you are just a normal individual with no real connections, then stick with your job, save, diversify your income and in a shortwhile, you won't only be financially comfortable, you will even be able to take time off to go do your masters without this dilemma.
But, if you're sufficiently confident of your connections that can help you get another job without much of a fuss, then go ahead and do the masters.
The operative word here is 'connection'. Foreign masters isn't the magic wand it used to be a decade ago, the Nigerian labour market has evolved far away from that... Now, it is strictly connection plus work experience.

Thanks Sir.

1 Like

Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by Leo3333: 5:48pm On Feb 15, 2018
SensaGreene:

Op I was about typing something like this. A lot of UK foreign M.So graduates are unable to secure skilled jobs within the 4months window and just yesterday, my family friend in Leeds was complaining that most jobs he applied for, they won't grant him sponsorship for tier 2visa and some others will be wondering how he obtained ACCA and M.Sc. sadly he has booked his flight to return at the end of this month. I completely understand that individual cases differ so I wouldn't use this situation and all others I know to deter you. However, if your job doesn't have a path for career progression or job security, then you should take up the scholarship and probably think ahead like also applying for Canadian express entry program and jobs whilst in the UK as some friends I know did this and moved on to Canada after their studies. All the best

Thanks Sis.
Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by Leo3333: 5:49pm On Feb 15, 2018
DanXplore:

I was in a similar dilemma last year. I went for the scholarship anyway. Look though the thread i created, some of the responses were very useful.

Thanks bro.
Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by GogetterMD(m): 5:50pm On Feb 15, 2018
Leo3333:
Helo Nairalanders/Chevening Alumni,

Kindly advise:

Would you recommend that I quit my current N240k-paying job for a Chevening (UK Masters Degree) Scholarship slot?
Chevening alumni in the house, please advise and share your experiences during and post-study.

Please help me reach Nairalanders.
Dude, my job currently pays me upwards of 400k per month. I'm going to apply for Chevening this year, and if I get it, I'm quitting my job. Don't be fooled by your 240k per month salary. It'd be worth nothing in a short while. Nigerian degrees are almost worthless now. Saving up for a Masters in the UK (self funded) would cost you no less than 18 million, and that's not even UCL, Kings, Oxford or Cambridge.
Chevening pays a monthly upkeep of 1500 GBP per month, plus travel allowance.
Please don't waste this opportunity, trust me, it's not even up for debate

9 Likes

Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by ThinkSmarter: 5:51pm On Feb 15, 2018
tensazangetsu20:
It's a UK masters. Take the job, if it was the USA or Canada I would have advised you to go but a UK masters is worthless in Nigeria.
pls, expantiate, i am a novice
Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by Leo3333: 5:53pm On Feb 15, 2018
Xcely:

From the advice of an alumnus, I’ll say you should go for the
Scholarship.
1.) Like someone hinted, there are several organisations recruiting African talents for jobs in Africa through the CareersAfrica platform. Bosch, African Import Export Bank, Unilever, Nestle, etc Every year in London these recruitments happen. Just be on the lookout for this particular career fair.

2) From January 11th, the UK passed a law allowing international students on a tier 4 to stay back after their masters for Atleast aleast a year during which if they find a job, they can remain. This might apply from the incoming 2018/2019 set. This changes everything from before. Definitely puts the UK at par with countries like Canada etc that have similar timelines after visa expiry. It’s even better cos the UK has numerous jobs and many more to come with Brexit taking its toll.

Thanks abunch bro.

Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by Leo3333: 5:57pm On Feb 15, 2018
PepsiBoy:
I am a Chevening alumnus. Taking the Chevening slot is a lifetime opportunity. Apart from the exposure you will get, you will also have different job opportunities in Nigeria and outside. Moreover, you can also do your PhD when you finish your Masters. While doing PhD, you can lecture and even settle down in the UK academics. Chevening scholarship does open doors, if you know hot to pray, and be led by the Spirit of God. All the best bro.

Thanks abunch bro.
Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by drdams: 6:06pm On Feb 15, 2018
Leo3333:
Helo Nairalanders/Chevening Alumni,

Kindly advise:

Would you recommend that I quit my current N240k-paying job for a Chevening (UK Masters Degree) Scholarship slot?
Chevening alumni in the house, please advise and share your experiences during and post-study.

Please help me reach Nairalanders.

1. if u are an entry level in your current job and will be less than 26 after the msc and the msc is related with your current job/career line. (especially academics) Leave! life is a risk

2. Do you company allow study leave? Its just a year

3. Chevening scholars are alomost not totally stranded. The scholarships gives relevance and connection.

4. if you are in your late 20s and been working there for more than 3 years and doesnt seem your income will increase in a year, please leave.

5. If you have consistently grown and you coy is a stable and well known one, baba, siddon and do UNILAG masters. This is not Aussy, Canada or USA.

UK govt. na winch!!

1 Like

Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by Leo3333: 6:17pm On Feb 15, 2018
ksstroud:
Dear OP,

You are the only one that knows the conditions and environment surrounding your present job; without an insight into it, I will only speak on surface view.
Ceteris paribus, your scholarship stands you a chance for better future if you utilize the opportunity very well.
After your graduation, a new gig will come that will make this your current earning to become a tithe...
Then, what happened to the option of study leave?
Even if your organization gives no room for that, still try to walk up to your line manager or the Head of HR. No harm in trial.

In a nut shell, if you ask me a million times; it is the scholarship I will pick...

Thanks bro.
I'm not eligible for a study leave just yet.
Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by Leo3333: 6:19pm On Feb 15, 2018
DIVFAVOR:
My friend I will say something different, it all depends on the school you are going to in UK, do your research very well. There are schools in UK that after Masters you can spend more than one year in other European countries and with your good IELTS a post doctorate awaits you. or You will be gifted an eighteen months Visa in Australia either to work or study and i bet you work will look for you, before you know it, your PR is looking at you. Wish you the best in your new design of Life. For me I will gladly grab the scholarship because I know what i want.
Gracia.

Thanks bro
Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by Leo3333: 6:19pm On Feb 15, 2018
wolebest:
I hope you have already built a house and save enough to fall on with the 240k salary or else when you come back from UK, you will begin to hustle from square one. As much as its good to go for the Masters abroad, please insure yourself and family. God will give you the wisdom.

Amen. Thanks bro.
Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by Leo3333: 6:24pm On Feb 15, 2018
drdams:

1. if u are an entry level in your current job and will be less than 26 after the msc and the msc is related with your current job/career line. (especially academics) Leave! life is a risk

2. Do you company allow study leave? Its just a year

3. Chevening scholars are alomost not totally stranded. The scholarships gives relevance and connection.

4. if you are in your late 20s and been working there for more than 3 years and doesnt seem your income will increase in a year, please leave.

5. If you have consistently grown and you coy is a stable and well known one, baba, siddon and do UNILAG masters. This is not Aussy, Canada or USA.

UK govt. na winch!!

Thanks abunch bro.
You're obviously informed Sir.
Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by Leo3333: 6:26pm On Feb 15, 2018
GogetterMD:

Dude, my job currently pays me upwards of 400k per month. I'm going to apply for Chevening this year, and if I get it, I'm quitting my job. Don't be fooled by your 240k per month salary. It'd be worth nothing in a short while. Nigerian degrees are almost worthless now. Saving up for a Masters in the UK (self funded) would cost you no less than 18 million, and that's not even UCL, Kings, Oxford or Cambridge.
Chevening pays a monthly upkeep of 1500 GBP per month, plus travel allowance.
Please don't waste this opportunity, trust me, it's not even up for debate

Thanks abunch bro. You're right.
I'm glad your advice conforms with the path I plan to tow.

1 Like

Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by Leo3333: 6:35pm On Feb 15, 2018
crackhaus:

I don't think you really got a Chevening Scholarship for you to be asking this question. Or you did and you're not really earning N240k monthly.

First of all, earning N240k monthly implies you're already in middle management role at your company as this is not entry-level figure in most organizations.
Earning that figure also means you can actually notify your employer of your Scholarship and by virtue of your position, he/she should be able to grant you the required tenure study leave and have a plan to reabsorb you into the organization at the end of your programme by which time you will be of greater value to them at no financial cost to the organization since your employer isn't paying for the masters.

Chevening Scholarship website have also advised all prospective applicants on informing employers.

*If you are in current employment, it is not a requirement of Chevening that you resign from your position. You are advised to discuss your application with your employer and it is your responsibility to ensure that they will release you if you are selected for a Chevening Award. The British Embassy/High Commission or the Chevening Secretariat cannot intervene in this.

Thanks for your informed contribution bro.
Trust me, I wouldn't put up this thread if I was eligible at this time for a study leave.

I'll nonetheless pray while pushing for a study leave. If declined I'll most likely take the risk of quitting.
Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by Leo3333: 6:38pm On Feb 15, 2018
dingbang:
sad

Oga go and study chevening scholarship and come back so that I will employ you.. I need bright minds like you in my team to work for me

Sir, I will bookmark this o.
Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by Leo3333: 6:40pm On Feb 15, 2018
dotun365:
If you don't have dependents like parents and siblings, I think you should go for the chevenning scholarship. the MSc + the fact that you'll become a chevening scholar means that you chances of getting a better job either here or outside the country would receive a boost. If someone could employ you and pay you 240k then I think you are competent enough to take a break from working and come back to the workforce with stronger negotiating power.

Thanks big bro.
Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by dingbang(m): 6:44pm On Feb 15, 2018
Leo3333:

Sir, I will bookmark this o.
pls bookmark...

1 Like

Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by dingbang(m): 6:54pm On Feb 15, 2018
3rd class graduates will continue being CEOs while 1st class graduates will continue being employees.

2 Likes

Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by Nobody: 6:55pm On Feb 15, 2018
Chevening requires that you come back home for 2years. The alumni network is strong, there is a very good chance you will get a good job. The scholarship is an opportunity don’t waste it. You might never save enough to sponsor yourself.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Project Management (pmp And Prince 2 Certification) / Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me / What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.