Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,045 members, 7,821,592 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:27 PM

Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? (28083 Views)

Chevening Scholarship 2022 Applicants Gather Here! / Chevening Scholarship Programme 2022/2023 For Study In The United Kingdom / 6 Months HVAC Training Scholarship Or My 50k Sanitization Officer Job? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by omongbatim: 3:00pm On Feb 15, 2018
Leo3333:
Helo Nairalanders/Chevening Alumni,

Kindly advise:

Would you recommend that I quit my current N240k-paying job for a Chevening (UK Masters Degree) Scholarship slot?
Chevening alumni in the house, please advise and share your experiences during and post-study.

Please help me reach Nairalanders.

Is this 240K per month or per annum? If per month I will advise you to stay back in Nigeria. If per annum (which is peanut, actually), it might be worth considering going for your MSc. Before you complete your UK program, start looking for PhD opportunity in the US or Canada or Australia.

1 Like

Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by PepsiBoy: 3:01pm On Feb 15, 2018
I am a Chevening alumnus. Taking the Chevening slot is a lifetime opportunity. Apart from the exposure you will get, you will also have different job opportunities in Nigeria and outside. Moreover, you can also do your PhD when you finish your Masters. While doing PhD, you can lecture and even settle down in the UK academics. Chevening scholarship does open doors, if you know hot to pray, and be led by the Spirit of God. All the best bro.

12 Likes

Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by crackhaus: 3:04pm On Feb 15, 2018
Leo3333:

Kindly advise:

Would you recommend that I quit my current N240k-paying job for a Chevening (UK Masters Degree) Scholarship slot?
Chevening alumni in the house, please advise and share your experiences during and post-study.

I don't think you really got a Chevening Scholarship for you to be asking this question. Or you did and you're not really earning N240k monthly.

First of all, earning N240k monthly implies you're already in middle management role at your company as this is not entry-level figure in most organizations.
Earning that figure also means you can actually notify your employer of your Scholarship and by virtue of your position, he/she should be able to grant you the required tenure study leave and have a plan to reabsorb you into the organization at the end of your programme by which time you will be of greater value to them at no financial cost to the organization since your employer isn't paying for the masters.

Chevening Scholarship website have also advised all prospective applicants on informing employers.

*If you are in current employment, it is not a requirement of Chevening that you resign from your position. You are advised to discuss your application with your employer and it is your responsibility to ensure that they will release you if you are selected for a Chevening Award. The British Embassy/High Commission or the Chevening Secretariat cannot intervene in this.

8 Likes

Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by wristbangle: 3:04pm On Feb 15, 2018
I guess the scholarship is in UK and there is no guarantee that you will get a job over there or here when you finish the programme.

I would go for the 240k job bearing in mind that after 2years, I can get another scholarship and use my work experience most especially if it's a multinational company to get a job overseas when am through with the master programme.

3 Likes

Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by Nobody: 3:09pm On Feb 15, 2018
Emasel:

It's not that easy. There are many people that came back with Distinctions from their UK Msc but could not secure a lucrative job with the degree.
There are also millions that lost their jobs last year. Its very easier for him to secure a better job there,if his grades are very good and he is street smart.

1 Like

Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by crackhaus: 3:12pm On Feb 15, 2018
wristbangle:
I guess the scholarship is in UK and there is no guarantee that you will get a job over there or here when you finish the programme.

I would go for the 240k job bearing in mind that after 2years, I can get another scholarship and use my work experience most especially if it's a multinational company to get a job overseas when am through with the master programme.
Only courses (Master's) with a 12month duration are eligible for Chevening Scholarship.
Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by delxmaverick(m): 3:13pm On Feb 15, 2018
Leo3333:

Kindly advise:

Bruh, the scholarship is worth more than that job. You should go for it. A better job awaits. Quote me anywhere.

1 Like

Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by realmindz: 3:16pm On Feb 15, 2018
If you have over a 100 odds, then why are you still broke??
Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by Fyorgyn: 3:18pm On Feb 15, 2018

Leo3333,
Congrats on being selected for a chevening scholarship. It is not for the faint hearted!

I was in your shoes a few years ago.

I'd like you to think on these

1. How long have you worked at your present job? Are you eligible for study leave? With or without pay? If you are Not, can you speak to the head of the organisation?

2. What are your long term goals? Going to school in the UK does not guarantee anything.

3. Why are you going for your Masters? Is it a quest for knowledge or a means to move out of Nigeria? If it is for knowledge, please take the scholarship.

4. What is your profession? What are your skills?

Finally, when faced with this dilemma... I asked myself
" IN the next 10 years which of these two will I always look back and wonder how life would have gone?"

For me the answer was- If I had settled for the job, I would have always wondered how going to that University would have impacted my life.

I wish you all the best in everything.

3 Likes

Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by zicoraads: 3:21pm On Feb 15, 2018
able20:

Where are all the opportunities in Nigeria? Is he the only Masters holder.
His opportunities are not limited to only Nigeria. I'm not even talking about Nigeria. His opportunities will be everywhere. And he may even get jobs around Europe and decide not to come back.
Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by Emasel(m): 3:21pm On Feb 15, 2018
Pepsi101:
There are also millions that lost their jobs last year. Its very easier for him to secure a better job there,if his grades are very good and he is street smart.

Chevening scholarship does not allow beneficiaries to stay back in the UK after completion of their studies, they have to return back to their home country.
Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by zicoraads: 3:22pm On Feb 15, 2018
wristbangle:

Check the worth of that scholarship, bro.
Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by damoneyman007: 3:28pm On Feb 15, 2018
chloride6:

mics at manchester. Saved up 6 million.

4 years later, he's father had to help him marry a wife and rent self contain.

Chai... grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by emydnoble(m): 3:32pm On Feb 15, 2018
chloride6:

You'll be surpirised. i know a guy, who left his 300k first bank job to do economics at manchester. Saved up 6 million.

Obviously, your monthly stipend can go a long way to establish you on your return to home country. 240k is approximately 3million annually. You can save ur stipend to have its equivalent with a reputable cert on return. Be wise!
Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by JerryJude(m): 3:33pm On Feb 15, 2018
omo think twice oo. 240k salary no small things for naija now.. or better still reason with ur company for study leave

1 Like

Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by Nobody: 3:37pm On Feb 15, 2018
Emasel:

Chevening scholarship does not allow beneficiaries to stay back in the UK after completion of their studies, they have to return back to their home country.
That's why I said street smart.
He can make good contacts there,he can travel to other European countries while still studying and scout for jobs,then come back to Nigeria for mere formality,then go back to Europe.

1 Like

Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by Nobody: 3:51pm On Feb 15, 2018
Maleka1:
continue with ur job and do ur masters here in Nigeria. dont waste ur opportunity. there are many PhD holders walking the street oo.
Loud it grin
Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by Nobody: 3:52pm On Feb 15, 2018
Osinowoosibanjo:
My brother, am not so familiar with chevening scholarship in the UK but i will advise to you get your fact very well. We have millions of Masters graduate on the street looking for 80k job.
Loud it grin
Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by Nobody: 3:53pm On Feb 15, 2018
tensazangetsu20:
It's a UK masters. Take the job, if it was the USA or Canada I would have advised you to go but a UK masters is worthless in Nigeria.
Bless you brother.. grin
Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by ykfavour(m): 3:54pm On Feb 15, 2018
Kindly hold on to your present job. Enroll for masters here in Nigeria with other professional certifications instead of quitting for Scholarship that getting a good job after is not sure. Abeg think well o
Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by Nobody: 4:00pm On Feb 15, 2018
chloride6:

You'll be surpirised. i know a guy, who left his 300k first bank job to do economics at manchester. Saved up 6 million.

Upon study economics... He couldn't come to term with Nigeria economics

1 Like

Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by afamaustin(m): 4:01pm On Feb 15, 2018
Humm and some ar looking for 50k job.this world self

1 Like

Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by nezer83: 4:04pm On Feb 15, 2018
PepsiBoy:
I am a Chevening alumnus. Taking the Chevening slot is a lifetime opportunity. Apart from the exposure you will get, you will also have different job opportunities in Nigeria and outside. Moreover, you can also do your PhD when you finish your Masters. While doing PhD, you can lecture and even settle down in the UK academics. Chevening scholarship does open doors, if you know hot to pray, and be led by the Spirit of God. All the best bro.

Hello Brother, Pls I would like to network with you on the Chevening scholarship.
I already sent u a PM.

1 Like

Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by dingbang(m): 4:06pm On Feb 15, 2018
sad

Oga go and study chevening scholarship and come back so that I will employ you.. I need bright minds like you in my team to work for me

3 Likes

Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by Feraz(m): 4:06pm On Feb 15, 2018
Fyorgyn:

PepsiBoy:
Xcely:

From the advice of an alumnus, I’ll say you should go for the
Scholarship.
1.) Like someone hinted, there are several organisations recruiting African talents for jobs in Africa through the CareersAfrica platform. Bosch, African Import Export Bank, Unilever, Nestle, etc Every year in London these recruitments happen. Just be on the lookout for this particular career fair.

2) From January 11th, the UK passed a law allowing international students on a tier 4 to stay back after their masters for Atleast aleast a year during which if they find a job, they can remain. This might apply from the incoming 2018/2019 set. This changes everything from before. Definitely puts the UK at par with countries like Canada etc that have similar timelines after visa expiry. It’s even better cos the UK has numerous jobs and many more to come with Brexit taking its toll.

Please, how did you guys do it? What can one do to really make their application sail through? Despite having admission from two universities in the UK, I was rejected by Chevening and with the look of things, I'd have to withdraw both applications. Honestly, it was heart-wrenching.

Hints, tips etc. would be appreciated.

Leo3333:

Kindly advise:

I really do not know what to say as I'm not in the best position to advise you but seeing that Chevening is a renowned body and opens up more opportunities, especially with its extensive network of alumnae, I'd say you should go for it.

1 Like

Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by jhidey08(m): 4:10pm On Feb 15, 2018
PepsiBoy:
Only someone who has been a beneficiary of an International Scholarship would understand you. The kind of opportunities attached to International scholarship is unbelievable, the network one creates during the programme Alone is enough to get him/her a fine job upon graduation.

Op, even though you've just been notified about the interview cos the results of successful candidates are coming out by June, have it in mind that you are accepting the offer. You'll never understand the benefit until you get there. Scholarships are the best.

1 Like

Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by byemx06(m): 4:14pm On Feb 15, 2018
biggerboyc:
Please if anyone is looking for roommate in Lagos I have someone who wants to pair or cheap room. Contact me through my signature
how much and location pls.....
Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by jhidey08(m): 4:17pm On Feb 15, 2018
emydnoble:
Obviously, your monthly stipend can go a long way to establish you on your return to home country. 240k is approximately 3million annually. You can save ur stipend to have its equivalent with a reputable cert on return. Be wise!
I'll pick the scholarship everytime ahead of the job, what if he gets sacked tomorrow?

4 Likes

Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by jhidey08(m): 4:18pm On Feb 15, 2018
JerryJude:
omo think twice oo. 240k salary no small things for naija now.. or better still reason with ur company for study leave
he'll collect more than that as monthly stipend, plus many opportunities after the programme, and of course a certificate in the bag.

3 Likes

Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by biggerboyc(m): 4:18pm On Feb 15, 2018
byemx06:

how much and location pls.....
any friendly environment With low cost
Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by jhidey08(m): 4:22pm On Feb 15, 2018
omongbatim:

Is this 240K per month or per annum? If per month I will advise you to stay back in Nigeria. If per annum (which is peanut, actually), it might be worth considering going for your MSc. Before you complete your UK program, start looking for PhD opportunity in the US or Canada or Australia.
what kind of question is that? 240k per annum is for Corpers Na.
Do u know the worth of being a Chevening Scholar?, do u know the processes they go through before selection? It'll be difficult for a Chevening Scholar not to get a job after graduation my brother.

1 Like

Re: Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job? by dotun365: 4:35pm On Feb 15, 2018
If you don't have dependents like parents and siblings, I think you should go for the chevenning scholarship. the MSc + the fact that you'll become a chevening scholar means that you chances of getting a better job either here or outside the country would receive a boost. If someone could employ you and pay you 240k then I think you are competent enough to take a break from working and come back to the workforce with stronger negotiating power.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Woman Loses Pregnancy After Alleged Kick From Lebanese Boss / Lady Narrates How Lagos Bus Conductor Returned Her Purse And Even Sent An Email / N-Power Volunteers, How Are You Coping Without March Stipend During Lockdown?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.