Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,942 members, 7,817,766 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:59 PM

Here Are 8 Common Car Facts That Are Actually Completely Untrue - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Here Are 8 Common Car Facts That Are Actually Completely Untrue (18117 Views)

Drivers Should Be Observant Of These 10 Common Car Issues / Top 8 Common Car Facts That Are Actually Not True / 9 Most Common Car-buying Mistakes To Avoid (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Here Are 8 Common Car Facts That Are Actually Completely Untrue by kokomaster3d: 7:43am On Feb 16, 2018
manual transmission is easier to maintain than automatic transmission. total lie

4 Likes

Re: Here Are 8 Common Car Facts That Are Actually Completely Untrue by SOFTENGR: 8:04am On Feb 16, 2018
deepwater:
If your car kills a pepeye
You will have accident
They said you must place a coin in the duck beak.
Very funny.
I think the myth is just to make drivers drive carefully when close to ducks-being slow animals. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Here Are 8 Common Car Facts That Are Actually Completely Untrue by talk2percy(m): 8:04am On Feb 16, 2018
Yeah, I am tired if being told that having sex in inside the car will knock the car's engine or make it to be extremely faulty.
Re: Here Are 8 Common Car Facts That Are Actually Completely Untrue by seanswitch(m): 8:10am On Feb 16, 2018
[quote author=obafemee80 post=65105865]
They are the easiest to rollover grin

Hahahahaha.... People thought they can't rollover because of there size and that was/is the reason most people buy SUV's.

2 Likes

Re: Here Are 8 Common Car Facts That Are Actually Completely Untrue by delvinho: 8:13am On Feb 16, 2018
quentin06:
shooting a bullet into tank has a high rate of ecplosion, its not just the bullet, but other inflammble materials the leaking fuel comes in contact with, apart from heat and fire, friction is enough to ignite fuel.

Guy or lady... A bullet can never make a car explode! I have seen practical demonstrations on myth busters... And that myth is busted!
Re: Here Are 8 Common Car Facts That Are Actually Completely Untrue by Psoul(m): 8:42am On Feb 16, 2018
quentin06:
shooting a bullet into tank has a high rate of ecplosion, its not just the bullet, but other inflammble materials the leaking fuel comes in contact with, apart from heat and fire, friction is enough to ignite fuel.

Bros, u are right, but shooting a bullet through "Car Fuel Tank" may hardly trigger explosion.
For a combustion to occur, ther must be enough oxygen. I the car fuel tank, the amount of oxygen available will hardly trigger combustion/explosion from a normal bullet.

Only an extra ordinary shot from a powerful gun shot from a far distance can cause explosion.
Let me tell you why.
On the course of the long distance, there must have bn friction between the bullet and air particles. This friction will ignite the bullet. So now the bullet is coming with fire. Having contact with the fuel will ignite the tank hence explosion.

Some ppl shot at not to long distance bullet may not even kw they have bn shot until the start seeing blood coming out of their body, but once a bullet from far distance touches ur body even with lesser penetration u will kw immediately cause it will be very hot.
Re: Here Are 8 Common Car Facts That Are Actually Completely Untrue by Nobody: 9:32am On Feb 16, 2018
delvinho:

Guy or lady... A bullet can never make a car explode! I have seen practical demonstrations on myth busters... And that myth is busted!
have you tried it youself, if a bullet can ignite fuel spilled, why wont it ignite fuel stored in a containet
Re: Here Are 8 Common Car Facts That Are Actually Completely Untrue by lilyfaith(f): 9:35am On Feb 16, 2018
GAZZUZZ:
9. having sex in a car will damage the engine.

untrue, Mubby's car is still doing well 5years on. grin

Lol. I actually heard this one from my ex. We went on an outing and he had to drop me off at home. Couldn't come in cos I was staying with my cousins and I couldn't go to his house cos it was already late. Things got so steamy in the car and he wanted to make out with me and I won't lie. . . I wanted it too. Buh he said we couldn't do it in the car cos it would knock the engine shocked He just left me all soaked and disappointed. sad
Re: Here Are 8 Common Car Facts That Are Actually Completely Untrue by Nobody: 9:40am On Feb 16, 2018
HUSTLEOFMAN:
I've never believed that number 6.

I agree with aerodynamic drag thingy but using the AC on some cars increase fuel economy for example Volvo S40 V5 Turbo. According to my neighbor who uses the car. it is true. Read owners manual.
Re: Here Are 8 Common Car Facts That Are Actually Completely Untrue by segzicres(m): 10:05am On Feb 16, 2018
anibirelawal:
That number 5 seems to be true. an extremely hot bullet hitting a iron tank of fuel may ingnite sparks.

am just saying, wetin i know sef? grin

fueltanks are never metal
Re: Here Are 8 Common Car Facts That Are Actually Completely Untrue by anibirelawal(m): 10:13am On Feb 16, 2018
segzicres:

fueltanks are never metal
OK, What about the hot temperature of the bullet, Cant it ignite the fuel?
Re: Here Are 8 Common Car Facts That Are Actually Completely Untrue by linkszelda: 10:17am On Feb 16, 2018
seanswitch:
SUV's don't tumble? Compound lie.

some SUV`s are actually built not to tumble. like products of land rover and jeep
though they can in some extreme cases
Re: Here Are 8 Common Car Facts That Are Actually Completely Untrue by 9icetoo(m): 10:45am On Feb 16, 2018
no 8 until recently.
watched a video on YouTube which showed a controlled crash between a small hatchback (smaller than a golf) and a Volvo 940.
the dummies in the hatchback came out better than the dummies in the Volvo.
it was an Eye-opener. the crumpling on newer cars is actually a design feature to dissipate the energy absorbed during impact while the older cars transmit all that energy to the occupants.
we learn everyday.

2 Likes

Re: Here Are 8 Common Car Facts That Are Actually Completely Untrue by salesforce: 11:10am On Feb 16, 2018
Oh
Re: Here Are 8 Common Car Facts That Are Actually Completely Untrue by Gboliwe: 12:27pm On Feb 16, 2018
I have been a believer of no7 until recently. I don't even have the time or patience
Re: Here Are 8 Common Car Facts That Are Actually Completely Untrue by babafirst(m): 2:18pm On Feb 16, 2018
GAZZUZZ:
9. having sex in a car will damage the engine.

untrue, Mubby's car is still doing well 5years on. grin
It is true.My own engine knocked inspite of my frequent servicing grin grin tongue
Re: Here Are 8 Common Car Facts That Are Actually Completely Untrue by poyet(m): 2:36pm On Feb 16, 2018
Number 4 is where my attention is more because I'm a security personnel. In as much as your total protection from bullets might not be guaranteed, using the car as a buffer is sure a safer decision than staying in the open. Half bread is better than chin-chin.
Re: Here Are 8 Common Car Facts That Are Actually Completely Untrue by jmichael259(m): 10:21pm On Feb 16, 2018
Psoul:

Bros, u are right, but shooting a bullet through "Car Fuel Tank" may hardly trigger explosion.
For a combustion to occur, ther must be enough oxygen. I the car fuel tank, the amount of oxygen available will hardly trigger combustion/explosion from a normal bullet.

Only an extra ordinary shot from a powerful gun shot from a far distance can cause explosion.
Let me tell you why.
On the course of the long distance, there must have bn friction between the bullet and air particles. This friction will ignite the bullet. So now the bullet is coming with fire. Having contact with the fuel will ignite the tank hence explosion.

Some ppl shot at not to long distance bullet may not even kw they have bn shot until the start seeing blood coming out of their body, but once a bullet from far distance touches ur body even with lesser penetration u will kw immediately cause it will be very hot.

in other words u talk say if u wan kill person u go do am close range.
Re: Here Are 8 Common Car Facts That Are Actually Completely Untrue by Psoul(m): 7:38am On Feb 17, 2018
jmichael259:

in other words u talk say if u wan kill person u go do am close range.

You just said it.
Re: Here Are 8 Common Car Facts That Are Actually Completely Untrue by fabienjoe: 2:02am On Feb 18, 2018
Automotive1:

There are a number of myths that persist in the automotive world. You may have heard of advice that would actually do more harm than good. How do these common car myths keep going? Sometimes they're about something that used to be true several years ago and is now outdated, and other times they're full of facts that have been twisted beyond the point of recognition.

Here are 8 common car facts that are actually completely untrue

1)Premium Fuel Makes Your Regular Car Run Better
High performance cars need premium fuel to prevent the engine from knocking.Premium fuel isn’t purer or cleaner, but rather less combustible.Filling high performance cars with regular fuel will cut power and the engine will suffer.
So filling your Camry with premium fuel than your owner's manual recommends offers no benefit,since it doesn’t need a less combustible fuel. 

2)You Need To Change Your Oil Every 3,000 Miles
The old adage has been to change your car’s or truck’s oil at 3,000 miles with precise regularity. 
With modern technology, most cars can go as far as 7,500 to 10,000 miles without fresh oil.To be sure, you should just go with your manufacturer’s changing your oil recommendation.

3)Engine Oil That’s Turned Black Is Not Good
Engine oil that turns black is actually a sign that the oil is working. Modern engine oils contain detergent-dispersant additives that keep engine internal parts clean by removing carbon deposits and maintaining them in harmless suspension in the oil.

It is better to have the carbon deposits in the oil so they can be drained off than to have them left as deposits in the engine where they could do the most damage.

4)Hiding Behind A Car Will Protect You From Gunfire.
The belief was popularized by Hollywood films.While some bullets may not be powerful enough to cut through steel in old cars, the same cannot be said for newer car models. Though the engine block area provides the best cover, it is still a hit and miss whether or not you will be protected.

5)Bullets Can Make Your Gas Tank Explode
Hollywood and Nollywood movies also taught us that shooting a bullet through a car’s fuel tank will trigger a massive explosion,but that is an extreme exaggeration. Bullets go right through the tank, without explosion, and where there’s no ignition there’s also no explosion.

6)Using The A/C Is Better For Fuel Economy Than Opening The Windows
According to a study by GM and SAE, turning the A/C on uses more fuel than driving with the windows down,but recommend using it since, using the A/C helps keep the driver alert and more comfortable.
Driving with the windows down also makes your car engine work harder, as a result of the aerodynamic drag.

7)You Should Let Your Car Warm Up For Several Minutes Before Driving
Unless you’re driving a vehicle that relies on a carburetor, something that was replaced by electronic fuel injection in the ‘80s.Most manufacturers recommend driving off gently after about 30 seconds as engine will warm up faster being driven, which will allow the heat to turn on sooner, decrease your fuel costs, and reduce emissions.

8 )Old Cars Are Safer Than New Ones
Then, it’s an undeniable fact that classic car were safer to drive in because their steel frames can handle impacts better than today’s economy boxes.
But today's modern cars were designed with “crumple zones” that deliberately collapse with impact to distribute the force more safely. The addition of airbags and safety belts has also drastically increased the survivability of on-road accidents when compared to old cars.

Which one are you guilty of? Feel free to add to the lists above

Source https://autojosh.com/8-common-car-facts-actually-completely-untrue/

Cc Lalasticlala Mynd44

They cannot be 'facts' and at the same time 'untrue'. Facts are verifiable truths.. You can call them myths, beliefs, assumptions etc..
Re: Here Are 8 Common Car Facts That Are Actually Completely Untrue by Nobody: 9:08am On Feb 18, 2018
A brother needs a Driving job, he resides in lekki,pls kindly call 07036886002..tnx.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Please Stay Off Tokunbo Tyres At All Cost! I Drove 130mph Or 209km/h... / How Much Do You Spend On Car Fuel Weekly / Elizade Motors Opens Assembly Plant In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.