Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,323 members, 7,819,103 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:22 AM

Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It (30854 Views)

Archbishop Of Canterbury urges Anglicans In Uganda to resist anti-gay Law / Insecurity: Catholics In Nigeria To Wear Black Outfits On Ash Wednesday / The Significance Of Ash Wednesday in the Christian faith (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It by edoairways: 12:40am On Feb 27, 2020
chikachuks1 gave reasons why Anglicans celebrate ash Wednesday. I still don't understand why some Catholics go shook mouth for mata wen no concern dem. The writer was specific, precise about his knowledge he didn't dig deep because he doesn't have enough information about other Orthodox churches celebrating this ritual. If the article had said why do Christians celebrate ash Wednesday then those critics would have had something reasonable to say
Re: Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It by digital2018: 6:31am On Feb 27, 2020
Anglican Church is one of the most confused church in the world. There is no uniformity in their doctrine. Some Anglican Churches in Nigeria here, just started observing Ash Wednesday few years ago while some still don't observe it. The same thing with other doctrines they copied from Catholic.
Please Anglicans let there be uniformity in your doctrine and stop copying other people's doctrine and tradition.

1 Like

Re: Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It by Jamesrock(m): 7:20am On Feb 27, 2020
edoairways:

Mr man I read and digested the article very well. If you don't have contrary opinion I suggest you don't quote me
Read church history ; No one is talking of article here ... DUMB!!!
Re: Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It by edoairways: 7:46am On Feb 27, 2020
Jamesrock:

Read church history ; No one is talking of article here ... DUMB!!!
You lack the ability to respond to article been posted. In fact you can't even comprehend the author's article at all. This has nothing to do with history because op was specific in his assertion about ash Wednesday.
Re: Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It by GiantParrot(m): 8:06am On Feb 27, 2020
lucky4west:
nice epistle, and very educative, for people who celebrates Ash Wednesday i do not have a problem with that, i'm a Pentecostal we do not celebrate it ...however i would love to add that having a godly sorrow for sin r genuine repentance goes beyond an outward sign of carrying ash on the forehead...if your heart and attitude towards God and man is not reformed as an evident of a re-birth( being born again) and daily following in that routine then the outward sign is a waste, true worshipers will worship in spirit and truth..your spirit knowing what is right to do and truth-God's word.. [b] i think one of the reasons some Pentecostal Christians tend to often criticize orthodox christian notably Catholics is their emphasis on physical signs and activities without an inward/inner re-generation ... [/b]we learn every day and there is no need to antagonize one another

Your overall point about prioritizing inner rebirth over outward expressions is well noted.

Do you have any evidence that Catholics or Orthodox churches emphasize physical signs and activities without an inward/inner re-generation? I hope you know that hearsay doesn't count as evidence. Good evidence would be a video of a Priest emphasizing physical signs and activities over inner regeneration, or a book or article written by a spokesperson of the Church that supports the claim you make. Given the long history of the Catholic Church, there are thousands of books written by Church Fathers and clergy that you can refer to for support of your claims.
Re: Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It by Dreason(m): 9:02am On Feb 27, 2020
Jamesrock:

Your demented brain is bringing bigotry to this matter... When arguing, pls argue with facts!!! Read the history of the Catholic Church and how Anglican broke away from it die to polygamy desire of King Henry of England...
Read that and come back here let’s argue!!! Olodo

Ogun kill you.
was king henry a prist
they married his late brothers wife for him. is that right. the pope refuse to let him devoic becus he got paid by a spainsh king who is king henry wife cousin. bastard read well b4 u argue. catholic and hypocris is 5&6qdp
Re: Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It by Nnamebuka: 9:17am On Feb 27, 2020
orazx:

You see where our problem is coming from?
Must every practice be in the scriptures?
Tell me where we have Vigils,Revivals,Anniversaries,Fund raising and Men of God buying Private Jet located in the Bible..
The Catholic,Anglican and Other Ancient Church dint just bring Beliefs without a solid reason
So stop the hate and think wise
Sorry if you feel attacked, but the essence of my comment is not hinged on Catholicism but on scriptural authority that Christians should have for every practice. I am not a saint but I believe Christians should have strong-rooted scriptural admonition that should warrant our actions or in-actions.

In view of the above, I also agree with you that the above highlighted should not find its way in the Christian fold as part of worship. But practices like anniversaries and fund raising should be a private affair which should not have any worshipful undertone. We never heard nor read of the early church practicing all these yet their worship was well received by God. So why the icing on the cake today in worship?
Re: Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It by Apination(m): 9:25am On Feb 27, 2020
edoairways:

Anglicans recite the creed no doubt about that but it doesn't make Catholic mind you Presbyterian, Methodist and other other Orthodox churches alike recite the creed. Their mode of prayers are not the same. Their doctrines are slightly different from Catholics
You are just being ignorant, Stop talking about things you know nothing about. How can you one who professes to be a Catholic not be a catholic? undecided
Re: Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It by edoairways: 10:21am On Feb 27, 2020
Apination:

You are just being ignorant, Stop talking about things you know nothing about. How can you one who professes to be a Catholic not be a catholic? undecided
You are the one that is ignorant here. Google the difference between those churches to see things for yourself
Re: Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It by Mryacks: 12:02pm On Feb 27, 2020
chikachuks1:
The aim of this article is to explain why the Anglican Church celebrate ash Wednesday. Most times, Pentecostal churches tend to condemn and speak against almost every practice of the Orthodox Church. But I hope this article will be meaningful and in turn convince as many as possible, but for the doubting Thomas’s, I do not know what else to do. I can only talk of Anglican because of my Anglican background, but I will not be able to talk much about Catholics and other orthodox churches. Although they all celebrate this event, yet I will not be able to place the exact reason why they do it.

Ash Wednesday is celebrated in the Anglican Church to mark the beginning of lent. Lent is a period of fasting and prayer which is observed by all Anglicans worldwide. It is celebrated once in a year and it terminates with the celebration of Easter. The lenting period for the Anglican Church lasts for a period of 40 days but ash Wednesday is celebrated 46 days to Easter. The fasting lasts for 40 days because the number 40 is a unique number. Jesus fasted for 40 days and 40 nights and Moses also fasted for 40 days and 40 nights. Thus the Anglican Church fasts for 40 days. Many other churches fast for as long as they can or as short as they can. For example, RCCG fasted for 100 straight days in 2017 and 50 straight days in 2018, yet in July, they will also embark on another fasting for 30 days to complete 80 days fasting. Some other churches fast for the first 7 days of every year, some fast the last 7 days of every year, yet others fix their fast within the year. Islam fast 30 days to their sallah. Thus, the subject of fasting is not a new thing; neither did it originate from the Anglican Church. The lenting period occurs at a calculated time. As earlier stated, ash Wednesday occurs 46 days to Easter. The Anglican church do not fast on Sundays and as such, this lenting period lasts for 7 week (46 days) minus 6 Sundays in which no fasting is done. It is expected that every Anglican join in this yearly and spiritual exercise.

There are basically two major reasons why the church still celebrates Ash Wednesday which I am here to highlight.

The first reason why we still celebrate Ash Wednesday is because it is a sign of genuine repentance, sober reflection and sorrow. Dating back to the Old Testament, we see that ash was used severally on different occasions to mourn or bewail issues like; pronounced judgement, sorrow of heart, remorse and repentance. Perhaps, the following scripture references would throw more light. Job.42v6, Esther.4v1-3, 2Samuel.13v19, Jeremiah.6v26.25v34, Daniel.9v3. Jonah.3v6, Matthew.11v21, Luke.10v13. These few verses show us that ashes are been used basically as a sign of repentance and Jesus confirmed it validity as we see in Matthew and Luke. For this reason, the lenting period starts with the Ash Wednesday to show that the season is a season of sober reflection. It is a season of genuine repentance which ushers us to fast and pray, calling on the Lord Most High with a pure heart and a holy hand.

The second reason why Ash Wednesday is celebrated in the Anglican Communion is to remind us who we are. No matter the extent of our greatness and achievement, it a sad news to know that we are just ash and dust. This is why in a typical Anglican burial scenario, you will see or hear the following lines, “earth to earth, dust to dust, ash to ash”. With these statements, the grave of the dead person is covered. Therefore, we must constantly remind ourselves whom we are and not go about thinking that we are what we are not. With this in mind, it will help every Christian worldwide to understand the more that we are all ash and one day we will return back to ash while the soul returns to God.

Do We Just Pick Up Ash From Anywhere
This is another important question that i will not fail to answer. Do we pick up ash from anywhere, since ash do not have its types? The answer is NO. We do not just use any kind of ash for this celebration. We get a palm frond, burn it and use that ash for the celebration. Palm frond is selected because when Jesus went triumphantly into Jerusalem, the people got palm frond and st it om the ground for His ass to walk on it. For this reason, the Anglican church use the ash gotten from palm frond.

May God help us so that this celebration will not just be to fulfill all righteousness. One of the major reason why it seems as if Christianity is losing its value day by day is because some of those things which were instituted our Christian fathers are now been abused and carried out just to fulfill all righteousness. So if you are looking for the reason behind the ash Wednesday, then I have done a little justice to it. If you love this article and you believe its content, then go ahead and share it to all and sundry.

http://www.christianityupdate.com/blog/meaning-ash-wednesday-anglicans-celebrate/

Thanks for this education...Blessings!
Re: Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It by Apination(m): 12:20pm On Feb 27, 2020
edoairways:

You are the one that is ignorant here. Google the difference between those churches to see things for yourself
Mumu, this is how most of you fail exams...... What was my initial reaction? undecided
Re: Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It by edoairways: 1:41pm On Feb 27, 2020
Apination:

Mumu, this is how most of you fail exams...... What was my initial reaction? undecided
Na you fail exam because you couldn't comprehend the article written. You lack home training and wasn't brought up well
Re: Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It by CodeTemplar: 5:03pm On Feb 27, 2020

Isaiah 58:5 Is it such a fast that I have chosen? a day for a man to afflict his soul? is it to bow down his head as a bulrush, and to spread sackcloth and ashes under him? wilt thou call this a fast, and an acceptable day to the LORD?

Isaiah 58:6 Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?

58:7 Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?

58:8 Then shall thy light break forth as the morning, and thine health shall spring forth speedily: and thy righteousness shall go before thee; the glory of the LORD shall be thy rereward.

From the above scriptures, fast was criticized for the spreading of ash and a true picture was painted in the subsequent verses.
Re: Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It by Wettoid123: 9:25pm On Feb 27, 2020
kponkedenge:

Are you a Presbyterian?

Nigerians always using question to answer question.
Re: Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It by donnie(m): 9:52pm On Feb 27, 2020
MiddleDimension:

i am happy with this submission of yours. is it safe to say that you also do not believe in the ...with the mouth, confession is made unto salvation... as the way to be born again, like alot of you pentecostals insist? and so when you tell them even the muslim will go to heaven, they attack you because in their words, until you profess with YOUR MOUTH that jesus is lord you "cannot be saved".

@joagbaje @donnie @ubenedictus

like I told you, many things have changed grin

However, ash Wednesday with all the observances of Easter are rooted in paganism. In fact, Christianity is mostly based upon pagan worship.
Re: Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It by MiddleDimension: 10:32pm On Feb 27, 2020
donnie:

like I told you, many things have changed grin

However, ash Wednesday with all the observances of Easter are rooted in paganism. In fact, Christianity is mostly based upon pagan worship.

things like what have changed?
when i pointed it out to you clearly from the bible that to pass the message of non condemnation, non judgement and non exclusion from the fold that is saved based on their religious affiliation, Jesus used the dream to show to peter and by extension to show to you, Donnie and your master Oyakhs. in the dream, he lowered and sheet and on it, there were animals considered unclean to the jews. of course you know that the animals refer to the gentiles who are considered by the jews to be unclean. he told peter "kill and eat". in other words, accept it without the feeling that you are doing wrong. and he said "nothing unclean has ever crossed my lips". in other words, i will not accept it because it is wrong to accept it; or that "light and darkness have nothing in common", like you all would say when considering the babalawo or the muslims. and then Jesus told him... do not consider unclean what i have already made clean. the emphasis is on the word ALREADY. this is before Cornelius ever knew Jesus or heard of him. and he had already given him the inward grace that comes with baptism; the inward grace of declaring him as his son. and only those who believe in jesus can be called sons of god, right?he already believed in jesus even without knowing him without having heard of him. no wonder his sacrifices even in the pagan shrine offered in front of 'idols', as you call it, was accepted by god. go back and read cornelius' story again.

so you don't listen to Oyakhs when he tells you that though Cornelius was a good man, but he wasn't saved and that god had to send peter to him for him to be saved. because the truth remains that Jesus had already declared him justified even before he ever heard of jesus. these are not my words. i saw them in your bible when i was one of you. the sending of peter wasn't to save cornelius. but to confirm him as a soldier of christ. that's why when peter started preaching to him, the heavens did not open so that a voice could declare him a child of god, a thing that happens only in baptism. what happened was the indwelling of the spirit which could seen in them speaking in tongues, a thing that happens in the sacrament of confirmation.

lastly, when you say they have roots in..., what you are saying is that they took it from paganism. but no, especially ash wednesday wasn't taken from paganism; it was taken from judaism, the religion jesus was born into and practiced. the religion that came from your god, jehovah, through moses. or are you saying your jehovah is a pagan god? in judaism, as can be seen in the bible, the people would pour ash on themselves to show sign of repentance.
Re: Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It by donnie(m): 11:04pm On Feb 27, 2020
MiddleDimension:

things like what have changed?
when i pointed it out to you clearly from the bible that to pass the message of non condemnation, non judgement and non exclusion from the fold that is saved based on their religious affiliation, Jesus used the dream to show to peter and by extension to show to you, Donnie and your master Oyakhs. in the dream, he lowered and sheet and on it, there were animals considered unclean to the jews. of course you know that the animals refer to the gentiles who are considered by the jews to be unclean. he told peter "kill and eat". in other words, accept it without the feeling that you are doing wrong. and he said "nothing unclean has ever crossed my lips". in other words, i will not accept it because it is wrong to accept it; or that "light and darkness have nothing in common", like you all would say when considering the babalawo or the muslims. and then Jesus told him... do not consider unclean what i have already made clean. the emphasis is on the word ALREADY. this is before Cornelius ever knew Jesus or heard of him. and he had already given him the inward grace that comes with baptism; the inward grace of declaring him as his son. and only those who believe in jesus can be called sons of god, right?he already believed in jesus even without knowing him without having heard of him. no wonder his sacrifices even in the pagan shrine offered in front of 'idols', as you call it, was accepted by god. go back and read cornelius' story again.

so you don't listen to Oyakhs when he tells you that though Cornelius was a good man, but he wasn't saved and that god had to send peter to him for him to be saved. because the truth remains that Jesus had already declared him justified even before he ever heard of jesus. these are not my words. i saw them in your bible when i was one of you. the sending of peter wasn't to save cornelius. but to confirm him as a soldier of christ. that's why when peter started preaching to him, the heavens did not open so that a voice could declare him a child of god, a thing that happens only in baptism. what happened was the indwelling of the spirit which could seen in them speaking in tongues, a thing that happens in the sacrament of confirmation.

lastly, when you say they have roots in..., what you are saying is that they took it from paganism. but no, especially ash wednesday wasn't taken from paganism; it was taken from judaism, the religion jesus was born into and practiced. the religion that came from your god, jehovah, through moses. or are you saying your jehovah is a pagan god? in judaism, as can be seen in the bible, the people would pour ash on themselves to show sign of repentance.

you are not ready, when u're ready we'll talk... who has time to read this your epistle?
Re: Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It by Jamesrock(m): 12:16am On Feb 28, 2020
Dreason:

Ogun kill you.
was king henry a prist
they married his late brothers wife for him. is that right. the pope refuse to let him devoic becus he got paid by a spainsh king who is king henry wife cousin. bastard read well b4 u argue. catholic and hypocris is 5&6qdp
After reading nonsense, you’ll come here to pour tantrums...You’re daft son...Get a life
Re: Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It by Jamesrock(m): 12:18am On Feb 28, 2020
edoairways:

You lack the ability to respond to article been posted. In fact you can't even comprehend the author's article at all. This has nothing to do with history because op was specific in his assertion about ash Wednesday.
Tell yourself and your dumb Op to always call a spade, a spade!!!
Your can’t talk about Ash Wednesday without mentioning it’s of Catholic root!!!
Get that man!
Re: Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It by MiddleDimension: 12:58am On Feb 28, 2020
donnie:

you are not ready, when u're ready we'll talk... who has time to read this your epistle?

same old story
Re: Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It by edoairways: 2:51am On Feb 28, 2020
Jamesrock:

Tell yourself and your dumb Op to always call a spade, a spade!!!
Your can’t talk about Ash Wednesday without mentioning it’s of Catholic root!!!
Get that man!
I presumed you were taught in Catholic church to abuse people on public forum. I also presumed your parent taught you to disrespect people too because your bible approves insults. I want to believe you are a Christian and you are taught to preach love not insults. Hence you just prove to the world how a Christian relates to his neighbours even your bible says you should love them. With this attitude of yours, you are not only piercing the heart of Jesus but sending souls to hell by your behavior. Your bible explicitly said "let your light shine before men that they may see your good works and glorify your father in heaven".
Re: Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It by edoairways: 2:54am On Feb 28, 2020
CodeTemplar:
Isaiah 58:5 Is it such a fast that I have chosen? a day for a man to afflict his soul? is it to bow down his head as a bulrush, and to spread sackcloth and ashes under him? wilt thou call this a fast, and an acceptable day to the LORD?

Isaiah 58:6 Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?

58:7 Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?

58:8 Then shall thy light break forth as the morning, and thine health shall spring forth speedily: and thy righteousness shall go before thee; the glory of the LORD shall be thy rereward.

From the above scriptures, fast was criticized for the spreading of ash and a true picture was painted in the subsequent verses.
I want to ask you this question, do you celebrate mother's day?
Re: Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It by nlPoster: 11:45am On Feb 28, 2020
I cant make head or tail of this thread.

Every single post here including the op seems to have nothing to do with either the topic or the preceding one .
Re: Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It by Techcornerng(m): 12:49pm On Feb 28, 2020
PAPA AJASCO Boy||||||||||||||||||||||||||
#ALINCO Has done it again, this video is just so funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbyGFQKkYeg
Re: Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It by mine85(m): 3:00pm On Feb 28, 2020
lamideee:
they do,I still got on my forehead today

Owerri Diocese, isi mbano... Most dioceses in owerri ecclesiastical province DON'T PUT ASH
Re: Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It by mine85(m): 3:19pm On Feb 28, 2020
Stanweezy:
Imagine post of 2018 appearing on front page this 2020. Nairaland and old news

Lol, even the OP is no longer here to see his post make front page. Who knows where d op is now to see his "achievement" after 2yrs
Re: Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It by fsgbeats: 3:32pm On Feb 28, 2020
Rituals very few still understand.. Jesus never burnt ash and made a cross on his believers' head. Neither did he at any time sprinkle them with holy water.. Don't quote me if you don't understand..
Re: Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It by Stanweezy(m): 4:55pm On Feb 28, 2020
mine85:

Lol, even the OP is no longer here to see his post make front page. Who knows where d op is now to see his "achievement" after 2yrs

As in eeeh
Re: Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It by Dreason(m): 8:15pm On Feb 28, 2020
Jamesrock:

After reading nonsense, you’ll come here to pour tantrums...You’re daft son...Get a life

oga face your roman catholic and stop hating other churches
Re: Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It by CodeTemplar: 12:51am On Feb 29, 2020
edoairways:

I want to ask you this question, do you celebrate mother's day?
Just make your point and stop asking questions
Re: Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It by Jamesrock(m): 8:40am On Mar 01, 2020
edoairways:

I presumed you were taught in Catholic church to abuse people on public forum. I also presumed your parent taught you to disrespect people too because your bible approves insults. I want to believe you are a Christian and you are taught to preach love not insults. Hence you just prove to the world how a Christian relates to his neighbours even your bible says you should love them. With this attitude of yours, you are not only piercing the heart of Jesus but sending asouls to hell by your behavior. Your bible explicitly said "let your light shine before men that they may see your good works and glorify your father in heaven".

Oga, give an answer to my reaction

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Pictures "First Timers" In Church Can Relate To / Grail Message Or Grail Centre / Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.