Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,203 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:58 AM

Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture (11954 Views)

Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) / A School Which Gives Bsc In Three Session. Is JPTS A Scam Or Legit? / How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by foliman(m): 12:19pm On Feb 20, 2018
faorex:

Lol... typical mindset of every Nigerian architect...

nobody wants to take up the jobs in the ministry and that is why the town planners believe they are superior to us, because we've neglected our job at the ministry of housing and every one wants to Freelance..

But we still have our people in the ministry, perhaps working with government can be good for architects because you'll still have your time to work on your own, but government don't even care about employment after all.

So what do we do?
Sit back and starve to death as graduates?
Re: Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by fippycbk(m): 12:22pm On Feb 20, 2018
What then happens when you decide to write your professional exams with the HND? You'll then have to write 2 or 3 exams before the professional practice examinations (PPE). The proffesional bodies made it difficult for one to become a certified architect with your the HND. It is such that, you spend the exact number of years and time writing the other exams before you can write the PPE. This is a total waste of time as those exams don't have certificates. Why not spend that time going for the PGD, get the MSc and write the PPE directly.
Re: Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by Arcbox(m): 1:15pm On Feb 20, 2018
Hehehe hehehe. Funny! All over the world, the minimum qualification for being an Architect is a holder of masters degree in Architecture. Is only in Nigeria that u see a half baked product called HND holder trying to raise shoulder because they can mix colours togeda as draft men. Before u comment, try n get smetin clear here dat a polytechnic certificate Holder in Architecture is called a draftsman. Architecture is beyond drawing, it's about problem solving by the principals and theories as an in-depth knowledge during ur university program which the reverse is the case wit HND holder. Architecture is meant to solve environmental issues such as climate change and ozone layer depletion via green n organic Architecture. Creating of concrete jungle via aimless design by HND holders shud b discourage. Pls try n get ur facts correct because design are meant to solve problems economically, bt is a pity dat things are done anyhow in Nigeria were people patronize quacks without theoretical backup.
Re: Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by akaahs(m): 1:18pm On Feb 20, 2018
I was shock when a Bsc holder in architecture who serve in our department can't do mechanical nd electrical drawings, that they were nt taught in school. I was like WTF
Re: Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by faorex(m): 1:43pm On Feb 20, 2018
Arcbox:
Hehehe hehehe. Funny! All over the world, the minimum qualification for being an Architect is a holder of masters degree in Architecture. Is only in Nigeria that u see a half baked product called HND holder trying to raise shoulder because they can mix colours togeda as draft men. Before u comment, try n get smetin clear here dat a polytechnic certificate Holder in Architecture is called a draftsman. Architecture is beyond drawing, it's about problem solving by the principals and theories as an in-depth knowledge during ur university program which the reverse is the case wit HND holder. Architecture is meant to solve environmental issues such as climate change and ozone layer depletion via green n organic Architecture. Creating of concrete jungle via aimless design by HND holders shud b discourage. Pls try n get ur facts correct because design are meant to solve problems economically, bt is a pity dat things are done anyhow in Nigeria were people patronize quacks without theoretical backup.

I'm sorry ooo.

you sound like a frustrated architect ..

no insults ooo

you should try to understand that poly graduates too are meant to be respected as well..
Re: Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by Valentinejr(m): 1:45pm On Feb 20, 2018
Click here to check out 20 Ongoing Scholarship Opportunities for Nigerian Students

See deadline before applying.

Also NLG scholarship application commenced last week

Click here to see details and apply for the undergraduate scholarship.

Share this comment if you're concerned

Thanks in advance

Re: Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by Subudu(m): 2:08pm On Feb 20, 2018
Talkoonsocial:
IF YOU ARE GOOD WEB DEVELOPER, CALL 0.7.0.656.98255, 50K monthly, YOU DONT NEED TO COME TO OFFICE, JUST STAY AT HOME AND DO THE JOB
I'm good with html, css, bootstrap and php. Am I qualified?
Re: Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by Arcbox(m): 2:48pm On Feb 20, 2018
Hmnnnn, my dear u hardly know my background n u jump to conclusions as me being a frustrated Architect. Maybe u shud try n get my contact n find out if u ar right. We are nt Talkin abt polytechnic graduate being respected. I am telling abt the reality, if u ar a polytechnic graduate, u are a draftsman n not an Architect. There is a different between being brilliant and being intelligent.

I'm sorry ooo.

you sound like a frustrated architect ..

no insults ooo

you should try to understand that poly graduates too are meant to be respected as well..[/quote]
Re: Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by hotwax: 2:49pm On Feb 20, 2018
Same as Computer Science...No oga for IT. If you are good and certified..nobody need ur HND or BSC.

I am HND..I even earn more than most Masters Degree holders.

Computer science is for practical...not by certificate.

BSC/HND are both overrated.
Re: Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by Jamescosmas(m): 2:55pm On Feb 20, 2018
Nigerians are wasting their time on paper qualifications too much...with bsc or hnd if u no get money ur name na sorry..
Re: Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by seenter84: 2:56pm On Feb 20, 2018
foliman:
OP... you really made my day, I'm a HND holder in architecture can't forget how B.Sc students of architecture from some schools call me to help with their design and rendering... Honestly, architecture is far more beyond certificate, it is the will to learn things by yourself!

Having a better certificate doesn't guarantee your success in that field.

Like what my mentor in architecture once told me, he said don't learn architecture as a professional course alone learn the business of architecture.

below are works designed, modelled and rendered by me.

Once you can take up being a freelance in architecture, believe me you can take job from M.Sc. holder.

Čan you mentor me in archtecture?

1 Like

Re: Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by Aarenaija: 3:38pm On Feb 20, 2018
This write up is good on the basis of opinion only.
A polytechnic graduate cannot get to the peak of his or her carer in Nigeria as at today.

As a matter of fact, it is a fraud to teach Architecture in the polytechnic as the regulatory body never recognises HND in the profession. The practice regulator accredits the polytechnics but they dont allow them to write professional exams and if they do, it could take up to 9 years to do so out of deliberately created huddles for the HND holders.

As an Architect who had the previledge of studying at both levels, I can affirm that the study is almost same but emphasy differs. While the polytechnic is practical based, the University is research based.

As it stands today; any polytechnic student of architecture is only wasting his time because he cannot write professional exams to qualify as an Architect. Except when the student is brilliant and can create a niche for himself even though the professional body would refer to him as a quirk. " they train graduates and refer to them.as quirks"

Unfortunately the discrimination is killing the growth of the professionals in Nigeria 'cos science and technology must go together. Poly and uni respectively offer the course with these focus but that has not also been exploited for the development of the country.

2 Likes

Re: Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by Urerimam: 3:47pm On Feb 20, 2018
You can say anything but the truth is a polytechnic graduates is not BETTER than any university graduates. I was opportune to meet the university graduates and polytechnic graduates, the difference was clear. uote author=CASTOSVILLA post=65212312]For ages in Nigeria, BSc has been considered above HND but there're some professional courses that are being studied by both institution which does not require any atom of dichotomy. Let's take a look at the course ARCHITECTURE.

This course has the same mode of learning at both ends, the teachings are the same, the laws and norms of the course are the same, the textbooks are the same, methods of execution are the same, the syllables are the same, in fact everything to get you up and running in the course are the same.

The only difference is the manner of teaching which is based on the individual (lecturers) in charge at both ends. To me, studying Architecture in the Polytechnic is the best because you actually get in touch with the practical aspects and physically take part in it while still knowing what your partner at the other end knows. They both propose and evaluate designs.

Many students in the Polytechnic can easily erect a building from start to finish even with their OND but same cannot be said about their University counterparts. This course is practically oriented and also demands a lot of individual creativity and technical abilities. Many Universities only deals more on the theory but they neglect the important practical part of the course because without a practical knowledge of the construction the Architect might end up creating more headache to the Engr on site thereby subjecting him to numerous corrections.

The irony of the whole matter is that many companies in Nigeria only hire University graduates as employees therefore neglecting a HND holder who has the same knowledge. It's not about the University or Polytechnic you went to but how creative you're in the field because it's an art too.

I beckon on Nigerian HR and construction companies to please give the HND graduates the chance to prove themselves and you'll marvel with the knowledge they have in this field. Creative minds are wasting on the streets. People with money making ideas for your real estate firms are wasting. Many a loosing hope in the course and dreams shattered. Many Poly graduates are industrious, they speak good English and they can defend their works.

They can also improve to the standard you want (Masters, PhD). Architecture is not Public Administration or Political science it's a course that calls for creative and practical minds with a sound knowledge of the course and building construction in general.

[/quote]
Re: Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by Urerimam: 3:50pm On Feb 20, 2018
You can say anything but the truth is a polytechnic graduates is not BETTER than any university graduates. I was opportune to meet the university graduates and polytechnic graduates, the difference was clear.
[color=#990000][/color]
Re: Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by Nobody: 3:53pm On Feb 20, 2018
that was how I went to apply for a job in one of the UBA branch, I was told to attach either ond or bsc statement of result that I should not put HND statement of result and am a polytechnic graduate. this incrimination is still on going
Re: Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by 4ultramed: 3:55pm On Feb 20, 2018
Are you tired on being single and its accompanying Loneliness?
Are you tired of being prophesied to that every other year is your year with nothing at end of it?
Are you one who believe in TRUE LOVE and happy family?
Are you a single working class lady/man?
Are you tired of scammers and frauds that collect money to be matchmade?
Are you one with friends and loved ones who are ripe for marriage but still single?
Are you tired of platforms that offer no hope and help to your singlesness?
Are you ready to make 2018 the year to settle down?
And are you willing to give love a chance?

Genuine matchmakings are already happening on this Single connecting platform From Lagos to Abuja, Delta, Kano, Port-harcourt, Edo, Ogun, Oyo and accross the country, genuine singles are been connected on a daily basis

On this Singles Matchmaking Platform, we mean READY-FOR-MARRIAGE total seriousness!!

Our mission is simple: Creating Relationships. Connecting Soulmates

Joining is ABSOLUTELY FREE!

NOTE: Add the Admin on Whatsapp or Telegram O81-(6342-9615) with request to be added to the Most Exciting World of Genuine Singles Matchmaking (T&C for Security Reasons Apply!)

Add Admin on O81-(6342-9615) on whatsapp or Telegram

Re: Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by CASTOSVILLA(m): 4:33pm On Feb 20, 2018
Arcbox:
Yes I agree that the world is going green and towards sustainable development. what else can you say about the theory you studied and how many researches have you conducted? Please stop sounding like you know better. Stop looking down on your fellow Architects rather find a way to accommodate everyone so that the body can grow collectively in Nigeria and beyond. Yes I'm an HND graduate but I don't think you know more than I do only if you get to know me better. We've been thought whatever we've been thought but the question is, how better have you developed the knowledge and how exposed are you today.
Re: Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by CASTOSVILLA(m): 4:36pm On Feb 20, 2018
Urerimam:
You can say anything but the truth is a polytechnic graduates is not BETTER than any university graduates. I was opportune to meet the university graduates and polytechnic graduates, the difference was clear.
[color=#990000][/color]
And this is just what you have to say? really disappointed in you sir.
Re: Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by CASTOSVILLA(m): 4:40pm On Feb 20, 2018
akaahs:
I was shock when a Bsc holder in architecture who serve in our department can't do mechanical nd electrical drawings, that they were nt taught in school. I was like WTF
It's not the job of the Architect to do such designs. Get your facts right, thanks.
Re: Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by CASTOSVILLA(m): 5:01pm On Feb 20, 2018
lovemeohlord:
Fucking liar, Architecture depends on creativity, Curiosity, Personal motivation and Hardwork either you are a BSc or HNd graduate. Am an architecture student in a state university in Nigeria. I once saw a final project of an Nd 2 Arch student and when I saw his physical model I was surprised imagine designing a primary school with bad oriented parking lot and (Been in 200l that time) I corrected him where he was telling me that he knew.Imagine, Someone telling you he knew that he did rubbish. If someone could did that to his own work then more of that should be expected in his client work. We were recently been giving an assignment on designing a interior space of an hotel bar with the Plan, Spacial analysis, Lighting analysis, Design philosophy.You can't do any of these without readin and theory. Architecture is more than site work, beauty and art. It's more of been professional, Philosophy, Technology, Functionality and Design scope which you can't achieve any of it without theory. Polytechnic students/graduate's should stop shading the University ones.It's all about professionalism.
Please what do you think is studied in the Polytechnic? Brick laying and sand filling? You met a learner in the field and you've already generalised. Do you think I haven't met half baked University students. I've copied my works and have done numerous models for some of your lecturers and students alike. Functionality and the psychology behind space relationship is also being thought in the Polytechnic bearing in mind the world's current atmospheric challenges and the need for sustainable development. Bro, don't tempt me to try you on the vast knowledge of Architecture that you claim to have acquired that gave you the edge. Setting you up with a simple test on Specification writing will throw you out of the bus. Believe me when I say that you and I are in a failed education system and that we've not be thought as we should have been. Researches are also being carried out in the Polytechnics too. You only know what you know, as for me, I've upgraded myself beyond what was thought. I dont know about you.
Re: Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by faorex(m): 5:41pm On Feb 20, 2018
CASTOSVILLA:
Please what do you think is studied in the Polytechnic? Brick laying and sand filling? You met a learner in the field and you've already generalised. Do you think I haven't met half baked University students. I've copied my works and have done numerous models for some of your lecturers and students alike. Functionality and the psychology behind space relationship is also being thought in the Polytechnic bearing in mind the world's current atmospheric challenges and the need for sustainable development. Bro, don't tempt me to try you on the vast knowledge of Architecture that you claim to have acquired that gave you the edge. Setting you up with a simple test on Specification writing will throw you out of the bus. Believe me when I say that you and I are in a failed education system and that we've not be thought as we should have been. Researches are also being carried out in the Polytechnics too. You only know what you know, as for me, I've upgraded myself beyond what was thought. I dont know about you.

Don't mind them jare...they thought polytechnic students are taught drafting only..

Polytechnic students are as well taught the so called theories.
Re: Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by hardbite(m): 5:44pm On Feb 20, 2018
don4real18:

So, are you trying to compare the knowledge of an artisan to that of a polytechnic Graduate

all of them claim experience, don't they?

and if you don't understand my write up this is what I mean, someone that went to university is better than you that went to polytechnic because your syllabus is not as exhaustive and grounded as his. Hence, he is more sound in the theoretical aspect, whereas you go about claiming you have experience, which is the same with any bricklayer with many years of experience.
And someone that went to a university can gain the same experience you claim you have within a year of constant exposure.
Re: Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by don4real18(m): 5:58pm On Feb 20, 2018
hardbite:

and if you don't understand my write up this is what I mean, someone that went to university is better than you that went to polytechnic because your syllabus is not as exhaustive and grounded as his. Hence, he is more sound in the theoretical aspect, whereas you go about claiming you have experience, which is the same with any bricklayer with many years of experience.
And someone that went to a university can gain the same experience you claim you have within a year of constant exposure.
Better than ME that went to a POLYTECHNIC... grin
Did you carry out any research before reaching your conclusion or you are just one of those people that went to school for the sake of a certificate.
What sets you apart from the polytechnic Graduate?
Have you come up with any theory?
Have you discovered anything new?
In fact, have your professors done anything to make them renowned in the academic environment?
It's just to cram and pour, do plagiarism upon plagiarism and you come out to say uni grads are better than poly grads.
I finished in a Uni anyway and I had coursemates who don't deserve to brag about having more knowledge than an artisan.
Good day
Re: Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by faorex(m): 6:37pm On Feb 20, 2018
don4real18:

Better than ME that went to a POLYTECHNIC... grin
Did you carry out any research before reaching your conclusion or you are just one of those people that went to school for the sake of a certificate.
What sets you apart from the polytechnic Graduate?
Have you come up with any theory?
Have you discovered anything new?
In fact, have your professors done anything to make them renowned in the academic environment?
It's just to cram and pour, do plagiarism upon plagiarism and you come out to say uni grads are better than poly grads.
I finished in a Uni anyway and I had coursemates who don't deserve to brag about having more knowledge than an artisan.
Good day

This is someone that has went through both system and is categorical saying that unless you worked on your own paper work, then you've no bragging rights
Re: Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by Galantis: 7:24pm On Feb 20, 2018
I am currently studying metallurgical engineering technology, but the way we are being taught eh tongue , if you don't have strong will, you can never start. Class from 12.30 pm to 4.30 pm no be beans and that's technical drawing lipsrsealed. Polytechnics rock. Me go buy ajaokuta seel company one day. grin
Re: Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by CASTOSVILLA(m): 8:22pm On Feb 20, 2018
faorex:

Don't mind them jare...they thought polytechnic students are taught drafting only..

Polytechnic students are as well taught the so called theories.
Na wa for Nigeria. God is with us
Re: Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by CASTOSVILLA(m): 8:28pm On Feb 20, 2018
hardbite:

Really? Please challenge me with your theories and in return I'll test your abilities too. Please learn to respect your colleagues.
Re: Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by lagosrd: 8:39pm On Feb 20, 2018
You can only get the truth from ARCON website

(architects registration council of Nigeria) . This guy is not been sincere to himself.
Re: Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by akaahs(m): 9:14pm On Feb 20, 2018
CASTOSVILLA:
It's not the job of the Architect to do such designs. Get your facts right, thanks.
my polytechnic friend who study architecture do mechanical nd electrical drawings because they were taught. Even my collegue in office from kaduna polytechnic does that. I know what I'm talking my friend.
Re: Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by jojothaiv(m): 10:02pm On Feb 20, 2018
foliman:
OP... you really made my day, I'm a HND holder in architecture can't forget how B.Sc students of architecture from some schools call me to help with their design and rendering... Honestly, architecture is far more beyond certificate, it is the will to learn things by yourself!

Having a better certificate doesn't guarantee your success in that field.

Like what my mentor in architecture once told me, he said don't learn architecture as a professional course alone learn the business of architecture.

below are works designed, modelled and rendered by me.

Once you can take up being a freelance in architecture, believe me you can take job from M.Sc. holder.
Nice input man..

1 Like

Re: Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by jojothaiv(m): 10:03pm On Feb 20, 2018
faorex:
I was pounding on this issue with my dad while driving me to work this morning...

Who said there is no discrimination in Architecture?

I finished my OND in architecture last year (according to school calendar) .

To start with, you can never register as Architect with HND except you're ready to go through the stress of writing 3 professional exams.

At NIA(Nigeria institute of Architects) meetings HND holders can only be called technicians and not Architects.

Yes, there is little or no discrimination in the labour market, but some very few people that has vast knowledge of architecture will still tell you that they will like to give their projects to Bsc holders.

Our(arvhitects) own problems lies in our hands.Only if HND holders are allowed to certify buildings, Then discrimination is over, but if we're allowed to seal drawings. We're are now at Per.

I'll like to drop my pen here.

Warm Regards from an architect to be.!

Good morning y'all.
I wish you well..
Re: Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by foliman(m): 10:58pm On Feb 20, 2018
seenter84:

Čan you mentor me in archtecture?

why not!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Elizade University Gets Full License To Operate / Nigerian Army 2016 Recruitment 75 RRI Regular Intake Form Released: HOW TO APPLY / Deeperlife Church University

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.